PDA

View Full Version : Mohammad Sharif and age cheating

Spitfire_x86
May 26, 2007, 03:28 AM
Does this guy look anywhere near 21-22 to anyone? He looks closer to 30 than 20.

It's so sad to see us getting as low as Pakistan in age cheating. Few days ago I looked up Mohammad Zahid in Cricinfo, and he was "only 30 years old", even though he looks like a 40 year old takla in his 3 years old profile picture.

Miraz
May 26, 2007, 03:31 AM
And just from the look you have opened the thread and accusing him and other Bangladeshis as age cheat?

Poor spitty from you to say the least.

I know a number of people who looks 30-32 but are actually they are only in their Teens. Similarly lot of 30-35 looks like 18-20.

Look does not matter.

sunny747
May 26, 2007, 03:38 AM
a Bangladeshi can guess the age of other bangladeshi face to face...but not by looking at TV or picture...........

Anher
May 26, 2007, 03:57 AM
very unfortunate and unwanted thread Spitty. cant expect from you. you are abusing other nation openly in forum as well. Criticising in diplomatic way within limit i would expect from you.

sar2005
May 26, 2007, 04:00 AM
Ah! Spitty, when I will meet you, don't tell me I'm 50 years old, just like what Miraz told me :(

Rajowana
May 26, 2007, 04:01 AM
Ah! Spitty, when I will meet you, don't tell me I'm 50 years old, just like what Miraz told me :(

lolz

zahid
May 26, 2007, 04:03 AM
Similarly lot of 30-35 looks like 18-20.

Look does not matter.

I am an example. :)

Spitfire_x86
May 26, 2007, 04:04 AM
I know that looks aren't everything, but then its just not only him. We've seen the same thing with Shanto, Taposh and so many other players.

He's now not playing in age level cricket, so the real age is not important. It's probably not a good thread, but there's not much else to discuss about us in this test anyway :-|

Sovik
May 26, 2007, 04:49 AM
you will have your chance spity. javed will open our innings soon

Fortuner
May 26, 2007, 05:54 AM
And just from the look you have opened the thread and accusing him and other Bangladeshis as age cheat?

Poor spitty from you to say the least.

I know a number of people who looks 30-32 but are actually they are only in their Teens. Similarly lot of 30-35 looks like 18-20.

Look does not matter.

Thanks for brining up a very point. Actually like spitty there are many who mistake it from the looks.
I dont understnd why in the wrld do ppl go on the looks coz looks can deceive which is a true fact.
Its shame us telling ourselves who cheat on age. Those days are gone. In football it happens. In cricket it doesnt.

Fortuner
May 26, 2007, 05:55 AM
very unfortunate and unwanted thread Spitty. cant expect from you. you are abusing other nation openly in forum as well. Criticising in diplomatic way within limit i would expect from you.

Exactly. Shame on u spitty...

fwullah
May 26, 2007, 06:07 AM
Just an example, although Tamim Iqbal is not more than 19 years old on paper, he actually looks like a 22 to 24 years old player on TV. Similarly, I made a mistake with his older brother - Nafees Iqbal, who actually looked 20-21 years old when he playing in the U-19s.

Mushfiqur Rahim - another example. He's now 18, but he looks like no more than 16 on TV.

BonBon
May 26, 2007, 06:38 AM
Sharif is actually 29..and BD is notorious in cheating ages..accept it. Golla is at least 37.

Aritro
May 26, 2007, 06:40 AM
Just an example, although Tamim Iqbal is not more than 19 years old on paper, he actually looks like a 22 to 24 years old player on TV. Similarly, I made a mistake with his older brother - Nafees Iqbal, who actually looked 20-21 years old when he playing in the U-19s.

Mushfiqur Rahim - another example. He's now 18, but he looks like no more than 16 on TV.

I remember reading an article about Tamim in which Nafis was mentioned as being 6 years older. Perhaps Tamim inadvertently let out a secret.

Aritro
May 26, 2007, 06:40 AM

According to the birthdate on his TigerCricket profile, he's actually 20.

Miraz
May 26, 2007, 06:46 AM
Sharif is actually 29..and BD is notorious in cheating ages..accept it. Golla is at least 37.

Golla was our one year senior at University. I am 31, he can't be 37.

We are predicting too much.

Protic
May 26, 2007, 06:46 AM
JO cant be37.. he's an awesum fielder..not possible at 37.

yaseer
May 26, 2007, 06:52 AM
come on...this is not a big issue....certificate age e amio 2 bochor komai disi...1/2 year +/- is familiar in BD....but Golla 37....u must be kidding......

Haradhon
May 26, 2007, 06:55 AM
Now I undertstand the BD strategy for winning by sending older guys to play in the lower age groups they should not be. Look at the records of our U-15, 17 and 19's! No wonder how these "dhamra" boys beat the hell out of Aussie, NZ and Eng boys who do not cheat about their ages. And when they play real pros of other national side they score 58 for 5 in reply to 600+ runs scored by opposotion!

Miraz
May 26, 2007, 06:57 AM
I will request Spitty to change the thread title and remove "Bangladesh" from it.

It's really offensive towards the country.

yaseer
May 26, 2007, 06:58 AM
I will request Spitty to change the thread title and remove "Bangladesh" from it.

AGREED

Spitfire_x86
May 26, 2007, 07:22 AM

Done.

We often wonder why our bowlers run out of steam at such young age. IMO this is simply not true, since they aren't that young in the first place.

TheWatcher
May 26, 2007, 07:33 AM
We often wonder why our bowlers run out of steam at such young age. IMO this is simply not true, since they aren't that young in the first place.
Actually, older people generally have better endurance, a big reason why Aussie Test pace attack is made of 30+ years olds.

Tigers_eye
May 26, 2007, 07:34 AM
Let spitty tell the truth. By the way how old is Aftab?

Dana - Gothia ami tomai bhalo bashi.

I think all the oldies did do boyosh churi. 1-4 years. The newbies are different. techno and other methods should have stopped it by now.

Banglatiger84
May 26, 2007, 07:36 AM
There's no point in denying that age cheating is quite common in a number of countries, ours included. That practice is reflected in some cricket players as well.

It may feel good to close our eyes but truth tells otherwise.

TheWatcher
May 26, 2007, 07:43 AM
Anyway, I don't see why it matters whether Sharif is 21 or 28, he is still the same Sharif that we have seen six years ago.

BCB did cheat in age group tournaments in past, but they can't do it anymore as ICC has now become very strict about this issue. In U/19 WC, players will be randomly picked for bone marrow test, and they will be kicked out the tournament if they are found over aged.

Pak_rox
May 26, 2007, 07:47 AM
first of all why the hell did u mention pakistanis here ??? whu r u to say pakis r cheat while telling ur own plyrs is an age cheat

istiak
May 26, 2007, 08:08 AM
JO cant be37.. he's an awesum fielder..not possible at 37.

Its nothing to do with his fielding!! One can be very fit even at 40. Look at Maldini who just got his 39th birth day after wining the champions league this week.

istiak
May 26, 2007, 08:11 AM
Its not only our problem........Its a problem of this sub-continent. Just today i was reading one indian enjoying his 139th birth day...What a rubbish!! Even the world record is much lower than that.

Very funny.......initially we want to reduce our age.......but after crossing 70 all of us want to add 20 extra years to it.

istiak
May 26, 2007, 08:12 AM
[edited]

cricket_dorshok
May 26, 2007, 08:15 AM
I'll request Spitty to view the debut match of Sharif and findout how old he was.

BonBon
May 26, 2007, 08:33 AM

Oh..just a joke with 50% truth in it

RBTiger
May 26, 2007, 09:16 AM

This is really naive of you to say that he should be 32 (you didn't exactly say that, kind of implied) since you are 31. I know of a no. of players (Opi, Mohammad Ali etc.) who stayed in school a few extra years to keep playing Nirman school cricket. Also, for most good sportsmen/cricketers (I don't know if I can put golla in that bracket), they are usually behind by a couple of years in studies due to their commitment to sports. Ever since Cricinfo and other websites started following BD cricket, their date of birth became permanent and they cannot come up with a new date every few years. I agree with you that everyone reduced their age by one or two years in the official documents, but the cricketers of the past reduced by at leat 4/5 years. Just think about it, how long have you been seeing rafique, shumon, golla play? Is it even possible that bashar is only 3 years older than you?? One prime example in a different sport, Shabbir (footballer). He kept playing under 19 football even when he was close to 30. Bulbul did the same in cricket since they had the obvious advantage (!!) of looking like a teenager well into their 20s.
Having said all that, I don't think it is possible to that extent these days. A 14 year old cannot march in and say I am 10, since he will be left out on the ground that he is too young. And once you are registered with one of the cricket databases, you will truly have an official DOB that you wouldn't be able to change at will.
Going back to Golla, if he is any less than 36 (Rafique 40, Bashar 38) I will be very very surprised. But we don't have any way to tell, do we?

Protic
May 26, 2007, 09:21 AM
LOL.. Football and Cricket needs different energy level..and normally football players are fitter. But age does catch in this side of the world..so if he's really 37..should affect his fielding.

RBTiger
May 26, 2007, 09:23 AM
Btw, Tamim is truly young and probably no older than 19/20, but Nafees Iqbal's age is a joke. I left Bangladesh about 7 years ago, and if my memory serves me right, he was playing first division cricket at that time. He is officially 21, so he was only 14 then? I guess it is theoretically possible, but was he, really??

Bengaliprince176
May 26, 2007, 09:24 AM
i dunno about bangladeshi players, but apperently Imran Khan once stated that most pakistani players deduct 2 years from their age to get selected more easily, as the team looks to younger players. Perhaps it was the opposite with Sachin, who looked 13 at the time, both in height and looks!

jawaherul
May 26, 2007, 10:08 AM
Btw, Tamim is truly young and probably no older than 19/20, but Nafees Iqbal's age is a joke. I left Bangladesh about 7 years ago, and if my memory serves me right, he was playing first division cricket at that time. He is officially 21, so he was only 14 then? I guess it is theoretically possible, but was he, really??

yeah , very much possible , I think .

nafis iqbal actually played the U19 WC twice . once in the ashraful , mashrafe, aftab era . and also in the next one .

And , don't forget , he has come out of a cricketing family . so , I guess , in his very childhood , he started playing cricket . may be , he is not 21 now ... but no more than 23, I guess , although I don't have any proof .

Also , I remember hearing about tamim , nafis's bro a few years back . If tamim can play at the age of 15/16 , why can't nafis ?

I have a friend of mine , who lived in the same area as mehrab jnr. he told me that even when merab jnr. was studying in class 4 , he was a pretty good cricketer and my friend had a lot of trouble playing against him . so , it's not a surprise , he can come to the age level cricket very early .

also , enamul jnr was only 13/14 when he 1st appeared in the U19 WC and at that age , he played very well and in fact at his age of 15 , he bowled too well for the aussies ( aussi U19 of course ) to win us that match .

james007
May 26, 2007, 10:30 AM
I think Sachin made debut at 16, but that time there was n o cheating. Like Razzaq fom pakistan is 26 something. i think they do it get into U-19 or 16 teams. And can perform btr to make international

BonBon
May 26, 2007, 11:19 AM
In BUET I had roommate who was originally batch 72, passed first year in 83 and was still there in 87 as in 2nd year. In BD, year doesnt tell age..

Remember our footballer of the world Bakhtiar in the gothia cup? All ages in the sub continent (IN+Pak)..all boyosh chor

rafiq
May 26, 2007, 11:35 AM
why is mohd sharif playing on the team again....what was it that he had to offer....reverse swing?? i didn't read cricket news much lately, why is shahadat dropped again after that incredulous comeback in chittagong from the pits of world cup hell we saw him go through...

but back to age cheating...this is a systematic problem in society at large, not just cricket. when i came to chicago 10 years ago, my wife and i were much younger then many of the deshis we became friends with. over the years, we we got older, these people defied science and managed to stay the same age...particularly the women, some of them are now younger than we are!

civil service mandatory retirement ages probably had a lot to do with routinely changing birthdays. as for cricket, it's hopefully getting better with the younger generation but who knows. I don't want to spculate about tamim or nafis. I can re-tell the story of my nephew naveed I've shared here before. Naveed played schools cricket at scholastica at the same time as nafees, and considers him as one of his friends. when getting a passport for his first age group tour to india (can't remember if it was national or a schools combine), he was instructed by board officials to put his age 2-3 years less than what it actually was. naveed is mashallah in his mid twenties now and just finished medical school.

cricketlvr
May 26, 2007, 11:43 AM
he's balding, but that doesn't mean he's old...the only thing that may be false is his height on cricinfo...
also, there needs to be some consistency with how names are spelled and players' birthdays/ages. there are so many different spellings and birthdays among different web sites (ex. cricinfo and tigercricket)

Rajowana
May 26, 2007, 11:49 AM
there needs to be some consistency with how names are spelled and players' birthdays/ages. there are so many different spellings and birthdays among different web sites (ex. cricinfo and tigercricket)

ye true true

Fortuner
May 26, 2007, 01:20 PM

i m really missing chinaman....:D

Rajowana
May 26, 2007, 01:24 PM

awwwwww

Rizvi
May 26, 2007, 01:41 PM
I am 24 years old now, and i left Bangladesh 14 years ago when i was 10. At 10 years old, i remember following up on Dhaka National cricket on the newspaper and Golla was a featured cricket name.

This makes Golla's cricket career atleast 15-16 years long....THERE"S NO WAY GOLLA IS 30!!!

Rajowana
May 26, 2007, 01:43 PM
I am 24 years old now, and i left Bangladesh 14 years ago when i was 10. At 10 years old, i remember following up on Dhaka National cricket on the newspaper and Golla was a featured cricket name.

This makes Golla's cricket career atleast 15-16 years long....THERE"S NO WAY GOLLA IS 30!!!

hahaha lol he's not older then bashar is he?or is he?

JamesBond
May 26, 2007, 01:43 PM
Even I am 23 but I look like 32... Even my in laws when they saw me they thought I was cheating about my age to marry their daughter..lol.... so dont even go there.. Think about Oriental people.. I know so many.. they are just the opposite.. they are 35 but they will look like 16..hahaha

habfreak
May 26, 2007, 01:57 PM
Does this guy look anywhere near 21-22 to anyone? He looks closer to 30 than 20. It's so sad to see us getting as low as Pakistan in age cheating.
Sharif and Ashraful used to practice together under Wahidul Gani at the Dhanmondi indoors; I was lucky enough to be in the same group as them and I can tell you they are both about the same age...be it 22 or 30!

habfreak
May 26, 2007, 02:01 PM
Did u check the game thread last night...people talking about ripping flags and so on...I wish I could help keep this forum clean!