PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh vs India, Second Test : When whims dominate over common sense

Miraz
May 26, 2007, 08:56 AM
The way Bangladesh coach and Captain brought misery to the team.
When whims dominate over common sense
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

When whims dominate over common sense, no team can expect to escape humiliation, especially when its Test cricket. No wonder, Bangladesh are paying the price of being whimsical, in short term – a shambolic defeat on Test return, in long term – more depressing developments are on the way. It takes quite some time to build any image, and takes no time to tarnish it. Bangladesh took a very wrong time to ruin its hard earned image in a series which was branded as grudge series, especially after the happenings of March 17 in Trinidad and Tobago.

Fierce and relentless criticism is a part and parcel of Bangladesh Test history. After some significant developments over the last few years, it appeared Bangladesh have finally managed to leap forward, and those dark old days will remain as the birth pain of Bangladesh cricket. The coach and captain, who led the renaissance of Bangladesh cricket, made a horrendous mistake to remind everyone the dark old days of Bangladesh Test cricket, ironically in the last Test of Whatmore as Bangladesh coach. Nothing could be more shameful for him to see the largest dip in performance graph during his tenure, and he played a crucial role to create this painful mess.

Everyone expected Bangladesh will put up a good show after drawing the Chittagong Test, and Whatmore’s farewell Test added some more light into it. Habibul Bashar, who rued his luck with tosses in the past, managed to win the toss and through that gained the right to use the wonderful batting surface ahead of their opponents. Bangladesh were already depleted due to absence of Shahadat Hossain, one of the hero of Chittagong Test, another premier bowler Mashrafe Mortaza was struggling with fitness, and Mohammad Sharif made a Test comeback after 5 years injury break. Bashar probably had the ideal stage to take the easiest decision on earth after winnings the toss, bat first, give the bowlers some time to recover and use the fresh legs to dismantle India after posting a good total on a placid surface.

Unfortunately for Bangladesh, the decision which looked obvious didn’t turn out to be reality, for inexplicable reason, Whatmore and Bashar decided to play the worst gamble of Test cricket history. They invited a batting line-up to use the surface first in which the first five batsmen share about 500 Test caps and 30,000 Test runs between them. What went through their mind in the very moment will be never known, misreading the wicket is a lame excuse, a captain of 43 Tests and a coach with 13 years experience in the sub-continent should be able to assess the wicket condition.

India took the unexpected gift with both hands, and piled a mammoth total to take the game away from Bangladesh. To be honest, Indians have only played according to the merit of the situation, its Bangladesh, who threw the game away at the very beginning and Indians were lucky to be at the receiving end.

In the process of posting an imposing total of 610-3d, Indians made records after records to rub the salt to the wound generously exposed to them by Bangladesh. After 160 overs of testing time under hot and humid conditions, India finally decided to give some relief to the Bangladeshi bowlers. They could have easily broken many other batting records, but they decided to toy the batsmen, after dismantling the bowling attack.

And the inevitable happened, Bangladeshi batsmen came in the middle with a mountain to climb, after the exhausting two days in the field; they were battered mercilessly by the Indian new ball bowlers. Bangladesh, initially reduced to 7-4, finished the day on 58-5, and the captain, who brought so much misery to the team with the decision, have contributed only 4 with the bat. Bangladeshi players have finally got some rest in the pavilion, but definitely not they way they would have liked.

Orion
May 26, 2007, 09:46 AM
its time for Bashar to retire from both ODI and Test Cricket. With age, his reflexes slowed and he has completely lost his batting ability. His fielding is ridiculous and his body language and captaincy is horrible. He has served BD cricket for long but everything comes with a shelf-life and Bashar's unfortunately is over. He should be sensible enough to leave BD cricket with some dignity and if he does not, then he should be thrown out.

ammark
May 26, 2007, 09:51 AM
Miraz bhai, "whimsy" or "whims"?

BonBon
May 26, 2007, 09:52 AM
Miraz, this rubs salt and peanz (onion) on my fresh wound..ouch!

Miraz
May 26, 2007, 10:06 AM
Miraz bhai, "whimsy" or "whims"?

Its whimsy :)

Meaning of whimsy

whim·sy also whim·sey (hwĭm'zē, wĭm'-) http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/pron.gif
n., pl. -sies also -seys.
An odd or fanciful idea; a whim.
A quaint or fanciful quality: stories full of whimsy.Link (http://www.answers.com/topic/whimsy)

indfan82
May 26, 2007, 10:20 AM
nice article....but i think ammark is right ... the title shud be when whims dominate....rather than when whimsy.........

Miraz
May 26, 2007, 10:26 AM
nice article....but i think ammark is right ... the title shud be when whims dominate....rather than when whimsy.........

Thanks, yap it can be Whim.

"When whim dominate over common sense".

Thnx ammark. :)

Cryin Out
May 26, 2007, 11:18 AM
Actually it may be neither 'whim' nor 'whimsy', if you are going to use it with the singular. Also the word 'over' may be redundant.

"When whim dominates common sense" may be preferable to "When whim dominate over common sense".

And "When whimsy dominates common sense" may be preferable to "When whimsy dominate over commone sense".

Domination implies the 'over' and possibly makes it redundant.

zahid
May 26, 2007, 11:31 AM
If BCB doesn't kick Habla after this, I'll never forgive them!

zohra
May 26, 2007, 12:33 PM
When whimsy dominate over common sense
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

When whimsy dominate over common sense, no team can expect to escape humiliation, especially when its Test cricket. No wonder, Bangladesh are paying the price of being whimsical, in short term – a shambolic defeat on Test return, in long term – more depressing developments are on the way. It takes quite some time to build any image, and takes no time to tarnish it. Bangladesh took a very wrong time to ruin its hard earned image in a series which was branded as grudge series, especially after the happenings of March 17 in Trinidad and Tobago.

Fierce and relentless criticism is a part and parcel of Bangladesh Test history. After some significant developments over the last few years, it appeared Bangladesh have finally managed to leap forward, and those dark old days will remain as the birth pain of Bangladesh cricket. The coach and captain, who led the renaissance of Bangladesh cricket, made a horrendous mistake to remind everyone the dark old days of Bangladesh Test cricket, ironically in the last Test of Whatmore as Bangladesh coach. Nothing could be more shameful for him to see the largest dip in performance graph during his tenure, and he played a crucial role to create this painful mess.

Everyone expected Bangladesh will put up a good show after drawing the Chittagong Test, and Whatmore’s farewell Test added some more light into it. Habibul Bashar, who rued his luck with tosses in the past, managed to win the toss and through that gained the right to use the wonderful batting surface ahead of their opponents. Bangladesh were already depleted due to absence of Shahadat Hossain, one of the hero of Chittagong Test, another premier bowler Mashrafe Mortaza was struggling with fitness, and Mohammad Sharif made a Test comeback after 5 years injury break. Bashar probably had the ideal stage to take the easiest decision on earth after winnings the toss, bat first, give the bowlers some time to recover and use the fresh legs to dismantle India after posting a good total on a placid surface.

Unfortunately for Bangladesh, the decision which looked obvious didn’t turn out to be reality, for inexplicable reason, Whatmore and Bashar decided to play the worst gamble of Test cricket history. They invited a batting line-up to use the surface first in which the first five batsmen share about 500 Test caps and 30,000 Test runs between them. What went through their mind in the very moment will be never known, misreading the wicket is a lame excuse, a captain of 43 Tests and a coach with 13 years experience in the sub-continent should be able to assess the wicket condition.

India took the unexpected gift with both hands, and piled a mammoth total to take the game away from Bangladesh. To be honest, Indians have only played according to the merit of the situation, its Bangladesh, who threw the game away at the very beginning and Indians were lucky to be at the receiving end.

In the process of posting an imposing total of 610-3d, Indians made records after records to rub the salt to the wound generously exposed to them by Bangladesh. After 160 overs of testing time under hot and humid conditions, India finally decided to give some relief to the Bangladeshi bowlers. They could have easily broken many other batting records, but they decided to toy the batsmen, after dismantling the bowling attack.

And the inevitable happened, Bangladeshi batsmen came in the middle with a mountain to climb, after the exhausting two days in the field; they were battered mercilessly by the Indian new ball bowlers. Bangladesh, initially reduced to 7-4, finished the day on 58-5, and the captain, who brought so much misery to the team with the decision, have contributed only 4 with the bat. Bangladeshi players have finally got some rest in the pavilion, but definitely not they way they would have liked.

Nice!!!!:smug: :smug:

Kamnew
May 26, 2007, 12:35 PM
why blame Bashar alone? It would have been the decision of the think tank which included a selector, vice capt( future capt) Ashraful and Whatmore (who should now be rejected by BCCI !) to field.

Basher needs to be given the credit for whatever BD team has achieved.
I seriouly do not think BD will go antwhere just by kicking him. The future capt. continues to bat irresponsibly. Would he be able to lead by example?

amra_korbo_joy
May 26, 2007, 12:45 PM
why blame Bashar alone? It would have been the decision of the think tank which included a selector, vice capt( future capt) Ashraful and Whatmore (who should now be rejected by BCCI !) to field.

Basher needs to be given the credit for whatever BD team has achieved.
I seriouly do not think BD will go antwhere just by kicking him. The future capt. continues to bat irresponsibly. Would he be able to lead by example?

Unlike the 1st test, Ashraful was out with a good bowl. But others just gifted the wicket. But I do not expect more than this. Javed omar does not play with straight bat. SN is totally out of form. Rajin is has limitation. I blame the Farooq. He should be fired.

cricket_pagol
May 26, 2007, 12:45 PM
this is a such a disaster.

Miraz
May 26, 2007, 05:53 PM
Whatmore will pay for his decision. Now India is raising questions over his tactical move.

From The Telegraph

<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="articleheader">Eyebrows raised over toss fiasco
</td></tr> <tr> <td class="articleauthor">LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="story" align="left"> <table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="172"> <tbody><tr> <td> http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070527/images/27dav.jpg </td></tr> <tr> <td class="articleauthor" align="left"> Dav Whatmore </td></tr> </tbody></table> Calcutta: Indications are that there’s nobody to really challenge Dav Whatmore in his quest to become the Team India coach.
That, however, hasn’t stopped eyebrows from being raised over his role in the toss fiasco which has almost given the (ongoing) final Test and series to Rahul Dravid.
There’s bewilderment that Bangladesh’s outgoing coach ignored conventional widsom and didn’t convince his captain, Habibul Bashar, to bat first at the Sher-e-Bangla Stadium.
In the subcontinent, only the foolish prefer to field.
According to The Telegraph’s sources, Sunil Gavaskar, who is one of three former captains on the committee empowered to select Greg Chappell’s full-time successor, is likely to have a real big say when it meets in Bangalore on June 4.
If his widely read columns are anything to go by, then Whatmore’s backers probably have reason to sweat.
On Friday, at the end of Day I of the mismatch in Dhaka, Gavaskar didn’t mince words: “… Bashar will no doubt be criticised by the media after India finished the first day without losing a wicket, but don’t forget that he would have received advice from the dressing room too. It raises the next question as to what kind of tactical advice Bangladesh get…”
Such advice comes from the coach.
Earlier in the week, after Bangladesh employed safety-first tactics in the closing stages of the Chittagong Test, Gavaskar wrote: “It is no secret that Bashar is not the greatest tactical captain. So, what was the dressing room doing?”
No prizes for guessing where that missile was directed at.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Read full (http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070527/asp/sports/story_7835960.asp)

Sohel
May 26, 2007, 05:56 PM
love this one miraz bhai... one step forward two steps back until...

syzygy
May 26, 2007, 06:01 PM
Whatmore will pay for his decision. Now India is raising questions over his tactical move.

i think it is habla, the bd selectors and team management who is more responsible than dav whatmore alone. its the captain who has take decision on the field not dav whatmore.u have to agree that bashar is a habla, he has no cricketing brains,even he smiles like a habla:-P

Haradhon
May 26, 2007, 08:56 PM
When whims dominate over common sense
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

No wonder, Bangladesh are paying the price of being whimsical, in short term – a shambolic defeat on Test return, in long term – more depressing developments are on the way.

You have summarized our collective frustation very well - thanks.
We need a miracle to earn a respectable innings defeat, such as fifties by the tailenders. Watching Bangladesh play has been so frustating that I have to rely on my sarcasm: Dav is trying to appease his future employer, setting up Bashar and BD team for a shameful defeat

Zunaid
May 26, 2007, 09:01 PM
Haradhon - I will not be surprised if some fans here will take your sarcasm as the truth. Let's hope that Pandora's box remains closed. Everyday, I am amazed at the rudimentary ratiocination skills of some so called fans. That is more painful than the performance of my belove team.

Haradhon
May 26, 2007, 09:12 PM
Haradhon - I will not be surprised if some fans here will take your sarcasm as the truth. Let's hope that Pandora's box remains closed. Everyday, I am amazed at the rudimentary ratiocination skills of some so called fans. That is more painful than the performance of my belove team.

Dr. Z, are you by any chance a resident of Delaware?

Zunaid
May 26, 2007, 09:28 PM
Dr. Z, are you by any chance a resident of Delaware?

Was about 10 years ago in grad school.

RBTiger
May 26, 2007, 10:48 PM
I like the superhero pose, Dr. Z. If it was a few months back I would probably even come up with the name - "HaBaMan" after our great superhero captain. :-)

reyme
May 27, 2007, 01:01 AM
I always did and will continue to blame Dave Whatmore for this ridiculous behind the scene fiasco. I am glad that he is leaving. It is hard to believe that Bashar with his timid personality, coupled with limited common sense decided to bowl by himself.

Even Dav himself admitted it was a joint decision. Selectors already declined their involvement in this regard. So it really comes down to Dav. I hope he takes this lack of common sense with him, becomes Indian coach and shortly get kicked out for his so called "professional" career where money is the only thing he cares about. I can never forget, the game he startes playing everytime Indian coaching job is up for grabs, not to mention his ridiculous decision to become a commentator when he sat down opposite side of the players gallery to do commentary for some TV channel while his team is on the field and in the dressing room! And after all these years he produced a captain like Bashar who still cant figure out pitch, fielding, leading the team, let alone a wise field placement. Dav must share his blame, he has to.

Sorry Dav, a innings defeat is the exit farewell prize for you and thats what you deserved at the end. Goodbye.

Baundule
May 27, 2007, 02:07 AM
shame on the planning!
Give me the same squad and I'll even win the match against the Indians.

The positive thing is, with HB whatmore is exposed as well.

Miraz
May 27, 2007, 10:49 AM
It's now in the front page after necessary additions to cover the Test match.

Articles and Features

When whim dominates common sense
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

When whim dominates over common sense, no team can expect to escape humiliation especially in Test cricket. No wonder, Bangladesh are paying the price of being whimsical, in the short term – a shambolic defeat on Test return, in the long term – more depressing developments are on the way. It takes quite some time to build up an image, and yet it takes no time to tarnish it. Bangladesh took a very wrong time to ruin its hard earned image in a series which was branded as a grudge series, especially after the happenings of March 17 in Trinidad and Tobago.
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/images/read_art.gif Read article » (http://banglacricket.com/html/article.php?item=461)

Miraz
May 27, 2007, 03:15 PM
BCB have convened a meeting tomorrow to discuss the toss issue. Many speculations....

Read Shamokal (http://www.shamokal.com/details.php?nid=62358)

Sumon77
May 27, 2007, 11:33 PM
BCB have convened a meeting tomorrow to discuss the toss issue. Many speculations....

Read Shamokal (http://www.shamokal.com/details.php?nid=62358)
lets see what comes out of the board meeting. its unlikely that Bashar took the decision. it doesnt go with his character when taking batting would be a safer choice.

CricTiger
May 27, 2007, 11:49 PM
shame on the planning!
Give me the same squad and I'll even win the match against the Indians.

The positive thing is, with HB whatmore is exposed as well.

So you are saying it took us 4 + years to exposed this duo !!!:hairpull:

Rizvi
May 28, 2007, 12:41 AM

:-/ :-/
I never understand what you talk about!!! Why not express yourself in a more ordinary conventional language??

Miraz
May 29, 2007, 10:46 AM
Gavaskar now attacked Whatmore for the decision

From Cricinfo
(http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/296291.html)
Gavaskar, writing in his column in the Mumbai tabloid Mid Day, has made some thinly-veiled attacks on Whatmore, who is believed to be the frontrunner. Writing after the second Test against India, Gavaskar pointed to the "lack of cricketing acumen" in the Bangladesh camp following their decision to bat first.
"It's here that Bangladesh suffered the most, for even allowing for the fact that Habibul Bashar is not the wiliest of skippers, it was clear that he had little help, and if anything, the lack of tactical input was exposed by the decision to field first in the last Test as well as that of not trying for a win in the first Test when the target was achievable with some bold batting."

Whatmore's chances to get India job is looking bleak.

rah
May 30, 2007, 08:28 AM
anotha peach of an article miraz bhai