PDA

View Full Version : Bashar steps down as ODI captain (bdnews24)

nasimul
May 27, 2007, 08:06 AM
Bdnews24 says that Bashar has step down as ODI captain.

Rabz
May 27, 2007, 08:13 AM
good news..sensible thing to do.
he also needs to retire from the odi team for his own dignity.

Anher
May 27, 2007, 08:17 AM
now we gonna make sure haba doesnt come within 20miles of any national team plyer and test team.

Aritro
May 27, 2007, 08:19 AM
I'll be happy when he steps down as Test captain too.

What requirements does he suppose he fulfills as a test captain that he's doesn't do as one-day captain?

Equally inept as both.

Carte Blanche
May 27, 2007, 08:27 AM
good news..sensible thing to do.
he also needs to retire from the odi team for his own dignity.

Dignity shmignity. He will milk it till the last drop. Poisha talks.

urbi
May 27, 2007, 08:34 AM
Alhamdulillah.............(For One Dayer)
Plz some get Misti....
Also If he cannot do well in the first Test against Srilanka..he should retire.

TheWatcher
May 27, 2007, 08:41 AM
For some reason, I don't see any such news on bdnews24.

Miraz
May 27, 2007, 08:42 AM
For some reason, I don't see any such news on bdnews24.

It's on the news ticker bar.

TheWatcher
May 27, 2007, 08:46 AM
It's on the news ticker bar.
Thanks, I see it now.

Miraz
May 27, 2007, 08:48 AM
Childish attitude shown by Bashar, with this decision, he made the situation difficult and will face a disgraceful exit.

Alien
May 27, 2007, 08:54 AM

I would be happy if he retires from breathing. Why waste oxygen?

Alien
May 27, 2007, 08:55 AM
Childish attitude shown by Bashar, with this decision, he made the situation difficult and will face a disgraceful exit.

IMO, he should have retired eariler not when the damage is done.

Anher
May 27, 2007, 08:56 AM

Thats what he deserve now. i saw how he beame zero from my hero only 2years back.

Ahmed_B
May 27, 2007, 09:19 AM
Well.. he doesn't really have any other choice at this point. He had already thought about retiring from ODI after the WC.. but delayed his decision just perhaps to giv it a last shot. However... it really backfired and he was simply unable to take the pressure of criticism. That caused his lousy Test performance in the end.

He will probably be advised by the selectors again to step down from ODIs... as he was before. In the coming SL tour, BD will be playing 3 Test matches first... before the ODI series. And if Bashar is still in poor form with bat... we might ultimately see an ODI team without Habibul Bashar.

Hanging around the team with a pathetic form like this can only end the career of any good player with a very ugly impression in the end. Its probably better if he volunterily stays away from ODI for atleast a while.

Nafis_BD
May 27, 2007, 09:21 AM
Bhalo news!! Mishti ke khawabe????

WarWolf
May 27, 2007, 09:23 AM
Apni khawan na?

Carte Blanche
May 27, 2007, 09:28 AM

Not Bashar for sure. :)

Aritro
May 27, 2007, 09:30 AM
For some reason I can't bring myself to be overly happy about this news. It seems to me that it was inevitable.

I was hoping the events of the last few days would prompt a more comprehensive U-turn and see him hand over the Test captaincy as well.

Carte Blanche
May 27, 2007, 09:33 AM
For some reason I can't bring myself to be overly happy about this news. It seems to me that it was inevitable.

I was hoping the events of the last few days would prompt a more comprehensive U-turn and see him hand over the Test captaincy as well.

You, sir, have lofty expectations from a man who still believes he deserves to play as a captain in both formats of the game.

ZaKi
May 27, 2007, 09:33 AM
atlast

Aritro
May 27, 2007, 09:36 AM
You, sir, have lofty expectations from a man who still believes he deserves to play as a captain in both formats of the game.

I'm sure he's known for a while he's not up to scratch when it comes to one-dayers. He's only handed it over now because the pressure from the fans and media have got to him.

I was hoping with passions running high after this performance, he'd make a spur of the moment decision without time to reflect.

Lofty expectations though, you're not wrong.

Nafis_BD
May 27, 2007, 10:15 AM
Apni khawan na?

Bhaiya amar taka nai...apni boro bhaiya hoye BC members derke treat diye den na.:-D HEHEHE J/K.

Huda
May 27, 2007, 10:24 AM

So you want the guy to die over a game of cricket? Your utterly crazy!!!

Zobair
May 27, 2007, 10:26 AM
Well...It is good news! I am counting on the new coach to come in and do the rest.

Sovik
May 27, 2007, 10:27 AM

that was bellow the belt and wasn't nice at all

Kabir
May 27, 2007, 10:38 AM
Well...It is good news! I am counting on the new coach to come in and do the rest.

Actually, good news come only once in a while. In that case, I would go with McInnes as the new coach to be the good news, than Bashar giving up captaincy.

You see, if McInnes comes in, he'll fix the very first thing that's required in our team. Which is: making the same basic mistakes over and over and over again. At this level of cricket, this should've been gone. But now I see that it's not yet gone from our team. And only a strict coach, who will punish you for every mistake you make, can control this problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't that much more important than Bashar stepping down? You know, if McInnes comes, there'll be a clean sweep of the whole team...and Bashar will be the first one to get swept away, along with JO and Pilot.

I think we agreed on this yesterday when we met :)

mali007
May 27, 2007, 10:39 AM
Bunch of upcomming players are knocking the door. So, Bashar not only captain, he should retire as a player from both version of cricket at once. After his horrible performances in the recent series he should be on sideline!!!! If he plays in ODI, he will
slowdown the runrate, will force somebody to RUNOUT!!! Along with Bashar , Nafees,
Javed Omar, Pilot, selectors should be gone. Then TIGERS will prosper.

Warlock
May 27, 2007, 10:40 AM
I am glad that Bashar is out from the ODI team. For the past couple of months he has tormented fans like me by his performance, both as a player and most of all as a captain. I never wanted to say any bad thing about Bashar, let alone call him names like Ha Ba. But he forced me to do it (with his stupidity that I never believed I would see from him)....I am happy and at peace with my mind that he is gone from the ODI team and I am glad that I won't have to call him names again (hopefully). But I do believe he is still needed in the test side. His performances were shambolic in the last two tests but he was under enormous pressure (which he brought onto himself) and that took a heavy toll. Free from the pressure of the ODI slot, I hope he would be "chonmone" enough to concentrate on his role as the premier test batsman of the country. I want to see a couple more hundreds from him, preferably a hundred in the next test series against Srilanka. I pray and hope he wouldn't turn on a performance like his ODI records recently to prove me worng. Amen.

Aritro
May 27, 2007, 10:42 AM
Actually, good news come only once in a while. In that case, I would go with McInnes as the new coach to be the good news, than Bashar giving up captaincy.

You see, if McInnes comes in, he'll fix the very first thing that's required in our team. Which is: making the same basic mistakes over and over and over again. At this level of cricket, this should've been gone. But now I see that it's not yet gone from our team. And only a strict coach, who will punish you for every mistake you make, can control this problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't that much more important than Bashar stepping down? You know, if McInnes comes, there'll be a clean sweep of the whole team...and Bashar will be the first one to get swept away, along with JO and Pilot.

I think we agreed on this yesterday when we met :)

If McInnes really does come in, Pilot's career is over.

You can pretty much pencil in Mushfiq's name for the Sri Lanka series right now.

And not a bloody moment too soon.

Kabir
May 27, 2007, 10:56 AM
CricInfo writes about the retirement.

Bashar gives up one-day captaincy

Habibul Bashar, the Bangladesh captain, has announced that he will step down as skipper of the one-day team with immediate effect. Speaking to the media after Bangladesh slumped to an innings defeat to India, Bashar said that he would still be available for selection as a player, but would not continue to lead the team.

Even though Mohammad Ashraful and Mashrafe Mortaza took some of the gloom off with defiant and flamboyant half-centuries, the fact remained that Bangladesh still needed to go a long way before they could start competing with the big teams in the Test arena. The future of their captain and coach is unsure in these times. The duo, on their part, cleared their stands, though.

Habibul Bashar, awfully out of sorts with the bat, has time and again received calls to step down. He agreed that the pressure has got to him, thought a lot about his future and quit as one-day captain. Bashar said that he still believed he could contribute to the team as a batsman.

Despite heavy criticism, there are certain people in Bangladesh cricket who feel that the extremely young Bangladeshi team still need his experience. His bat may not have produced runs in the recent past, but his contributions to Bangladesh cricket have been immense. One of those supporters is the outgoing coach, Dav Whatmore.

"No batsman means to not score runs; Habibul doesn't either," Whatmore said. "Habibul has been Bangladesh's best player in Test history."

Whatmore himself is on the way out. He now goes home to Australia, reunites with his family, and awaits the Indian board's decision whether to appoint him coach or not. "My contract [with Bangladesh] ends on June 1. Then I need to recharge my batteries," he said. "There may be another challenge not far away. That will remain the decision of the employer."

It has in some ways been a pity that instead of celebrating his last few days with the Bangladesh team, who achieved a lot during his tenure, the journalists have been concentrated more on his future. But Whatmore will take away fond memories. "Lots of interesting things happened on the way," Whatmore said, "Beating some of the big teams was special. Progressing in the World Cup was a big effort."

"You wish you could do better in the matter of the individuals becoming better players. One or two players who were dropped, I thought, could have done better," said, when asked if he had any regrets. "I would have loved Ashraful to develop more in the four years. His best cricket is surely yet to come. And his consistency will improve as he gets older, but [he has not come along] quite the way I would have loved him to have."

All that's gone now, and there's nothing either Whatmore or Bashar can do about it. What they can do is wait on the verdict on their professional futures, which coincidentally, for both of them comes on June 4.

Source: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/296058.html

jawaherul
May 27, 2007, 11:18 AM
jani na keno . ami ektu nostalogic hoye jachchi ar amar ektu kosto lagse . bashar was a hero of us all and he does not deserve such humiliation . jai houk , ajker ei obosthar jonno bashar nijei dayi . but , i don't blame him too much . every confident person is proud of himself . i am proud of himself . so was bashar . he probably thought he had the ability to reply the critics .

well , bashar oneday theke baad porse ... ami oversure . test captaincy tao o sere dile valo hoito . or captaincy ekdom i innovative na . i hope he does not continue test captaincy . hoy nijei chharuk ba selector ra oke captaincy theke baad dek . karon , ta na hole mone hoy oke aro ekbar emon humiliation er shikar hote hobe . ami amar hero der kokhonoi humiliate hote dekhte chai na . and he was one of my hero .

ami member der request korsi ... bashar er eto din oneday dole jhule thaka vul decision silo . kintu , she bangladesh cricket ke onek kisu diyechhe . or obodan vule jaben na . like somebody has said he should have stop taking oxygen . please oke humiliate korben na .

Aritro
May 27, 2007, 11:22 AM
jani na keno . ami ektu nostalogic hoye jachchi ar amar ektu kosto lagse . bashar was a hero of us all and he does not deserve such humiliation . jai houk , ajker ei obosthar jonno bashar nijei dayi . but , i don't blame him too much . every confident person is proud of himself . i am proud of himself . so was bashar . he probably thought he had the ability to reply the critics .

He could have averted all of this by retiring at the right time.

But yes, he stayed on one tour too many and we shouldn't dwell on it.

I think once the anger subsides, we'll all take a far more reasonable stance.

He needs to hand over the test captaincy though.

Miraz
May 27, 2007, 11:29 AM
Here's Bashar's post match briefing from TC.

Whether it was the toughest Test

Probably the toughest Test. I can remember another Test match against Sri Lanka. But if you think about the condition and the way we played here, then it’s clearly the toughest Test match.

Whether Bangladesh planned to play Twenty-20 cricket today

Definitely not. We wanted to play good Test cricket but things did not go our way.

On Dav Whatmore’s tenure

We have been developing as a complete team in Dav Whatmore’s four years tenure. We did struggle at the beginning but then started to push other teams in Test. But this 13 months gap costs us a lot. We had to restart from the beginning. We did well in the first Test but completely thrashed in the second. But these things might happen in cricket. Our next series is against Sri Lanka. Hopefully we can make a comeback there.

On his decision to field first

These things do happen. Sometimes you take a decision which does not work for you. That’s the way cricket goes on. But I got the support from our boys. We are fantastic as a team. Everyone came to me and told that, “You did the right thing.” The decisions will not always go on your way. I am not the first captain whose decision proved wrong.

On the wicket

The wicket has changed a little. There was something for the pacers in the first day morning. Now it broke up in one or two places but still remained a very good batting track. The wicket is not to blame for our poor show with the bat. We could not bat well, that is the only reason. Our decisions in shot selections were not correct all the time.

On his captaincy

I told the board that I do not want to be the captain of the ODI side anymore. I spoke to one of the board official today. I will be available for selection though. It’s now up to the board whether they will keep me as a captain in the Tests. But you know, to me playing for the country is the most important thing; captaincy is not the last thing for me.

On the reason to leave ODI captaincy

I do not want to be in the ODI side only because of captaincy. That’s why I leave that post. If I can prove myself, then I will be in the team. I want to claim my place as a performer, not as a captain. I felt that this is the appropriate time to hand over the captaincy to a new one.

real123
May 27, 2007, 11:30 AM

What requirements does he suppose he fulfills as a test captain that he's doesn't do as one-day captain?

Equally inept as both.

steps down after all of these...he was given opportunity to leave with dignity but he refused. He used latest ODI series and also the test series for his own carrier not for the team. He failed and now he is saying he will quit.

He should now be dropped from ODI, can have test inclusion as a player but after some domestic performances.

AsifTheManRahman
May 27, 2007, 11:42 AM
well i still respect him for stepping down as odi captain, although stepping down from odi's altogether, and maybe even tests, would probably have been a good idea.

Aritro
May 27, 2007, 11:47 AM
It’s now up to the board whether they will keep me as a captain in the Tests.

This line is encouraging. It suggests that his captaincy is actually something that's still up in the air.

I'd just assumed he'd stay on as Test captain.

Hopefully media pressure and some intense lobbying from the new coach (McInnes?) will result in the correct decision being made.

bulbul_fan
May 27, 2007, 12:16 PM
awsome news.....!!! he shud retire from odis also!!

amra_korbo_joy
May 27, 2007, 12:49 PM
If he loses the test captaincy by the board , that will be good for the cricket. But he is still a good test batsman if he gets his form back. We need a brave attacking test captain like Ashraful.

zahid
May 27, 2007, 12:54 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!

FINALLY!

Shobar jonno Mishti. Amar bashay nimontron roilo shobar.

zahid
May 27, 2007, 01:01 PM
He will soon be forgotten as fast as possible once he's completely kicked off the team.

CricTiger
May 27, 2007, 01:04 PM
Too little to late .He should have announced this before the last test.Now after the series what else is left for him?

mali007
May 27, 2007, 01:16 PM
He can not be given CAPTAINCY in test at all!! He misused his captaincypower by batting
in #3 position. Normally best batsman plays in that position to build up an innings. Being
the worst batsman of the side he came in # 3 and destroyed the batting lineup in both innings!!! So, he can't be captain at any cost. Now I want to see his buddy CHAMCHA
UTPAL SHUVRO's comment about his TEST CAPTAINCY.

sheikh
May 27, 2007, 01:19 PM

This is a crazy and nonsense comment.

kalpurush
May 27, 2007, 01:20 PM
...like he did from my avatar?!!!;)

kalpurush
May 27, 2007, 01:26 PM

NO!!!
Bashar gave so much to our cricket...how could we forget that?! I do NOT want it to even Mr. Harper!!:-|

Ganguly da
May 27, 2007, 02:05 PM
Bashar is still one of the best test players from BD, he should quit captaincy and focus on his batting

Murad
May 27, 2007, 02:29 PM
...like he did from my avatar?!!!;)

lolz.. u changed bashar's pic to become a rata morog?? :lol:

Russell2k7
May 27, 2007, 03:12 PM
Bashar should quit from Int cricket altogether.

Shaan
May 27, 2007, 03:28 PM
if there is God, Allah, Boghoban or Jesus, I guess at last he listened to the millions prayers..

ZaKi
May 27, 2007, 03:38 PM
Here's Bashar's post match briefing from TC.

On the reason to leave ODI captaincy

I do not want to be in the ODI side only because of captaincy. That’s why I leave that post. If I can prove myself, then I will be in the team. I want to claim my place as a performer, not as a captain. I felt that this is the appropriate time to hand over the captaincy to a new one.

like this attitude......

Sovik
May 27, 2007, 03:48 PM
he should have retired from all form of cricket. i am so frustrated.

knightrider357
May 27, 2007, 04:07 PM
finally...... emon boro chagol ar prithibite jonmo hoy nai... he had the best chance of getting a decent farewell.... ruined it...

i hope... BCB is not dumb enough to keep him in the ODI team... and i dont think he even deserves a place in the test team.... same goes for Pilot, Nafees, JO.... eishob Buira Chago der diye kaaj hobe na... need fresh young cricketers...

ssaadi123
May 27, 2007, 04:55 PM
Congratulation Habib

Hatebreed
May 27, 2007, 05:15 PM
Alhamdulillah.. Mashallah.. Subhan Allah! Thank goodness! Praise be to the lord!

Thanks Habib, for finally doing the right thing. We will not forget your contributions.

WarWolf
May 27, 2007, 05:20 PM
You are the most succesful captain for BD and we will not forget your contribution.

BD-Shardul
May 28, 2007, 12:17 AM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!

FINALLY!

Shobar jonno Mishti. Amar bashay nimontron roilo shobar.

Need plane Bhara too.

GoldenAsif
May 28, 2007, 04:15 AM
You are the most succesful captain for BD and we will not forget your contribution.

Yes. Bashar, you are a hero and I salute you for everything you have done for Bangladesh. Good luck.

Bashar has resigned as ODI captain, Whatmore will no longer be coach soon. Bangladesh has much to owe to these two great men. A new era has begun.

Let us hope the heirs to Bashar and Whatmore can emulate their succcess and continue their legacy.

Alien
May 30, 2007, 09:59 PM
His departure will mark the new era of Bangladesh cricket.

Alien
May 30, 2007, 10:00 PM
So you want the guy to die over a game of cricket? Your utterly crazy!!!

I suggest you look up the word "sarcasm" in the dictionary. But never mind, I'll dig it up in the dictionary for you.

sar·casm (sär'kāz'əm) Pronunciation Key
n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

fai_hasan
May 31, 2007, 04:42 AM
yeah right, i was reading it today.

sad but true, he must take some rest before he gets himself fit again. I think he can do more as a batsman rather than captain.

we need a captain who plays aggressive cricket and don't get scared to take risks.