PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh cricket at a crossroad: change of vision required to lift the bar

Miraz
May 27, 2007, 01:17 PM
Bangladesh cricket at a crossroad: change of vision required to lift the bar
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

Bangladesh cricket has entered into the most crucial period after gaining the Test status. A team which progressed significantly over the last few years under the guidance of Dav Whatmore, need some new directions and fresh thoughts to make it to the next level of cricket. With the completion of the current series, Dav Whatmore has already left Bangladesh cricket. He paired with Habibul Bashar, Bangladesh skipper, to lead the renaissance of Bangladesh Cricket. Bashar has already stepped down from ODI captaincy and may find the same fate with Test captaincy. The two person, who were at the centre of Bangladesh cricket over the last four years, are leaving the stage almost simultaneously, and Bangladesh cricket must select right persons to fill their shoes.

The extent of achievements of Whatmore and Bashar can be debatable, but undoubtedly during their tenure, Bangladesh made giant strides in right directions, especially in the shorter version of the game. To translate the successes of the shorter version into the longer version, Bangladesh need a change of guard, not only in the management but also in the thought process.

Now, it's hight time to take some crucial decisions which will determine the fate of Bangladesh cricket over the next few years.

Firstly, coach selection. When Dav Whatmore took the charge of Bangladesh cricket in 2003, he was unambiguously the perfect person to fit the shoe. Bangladesh cricket was hit at the rock bottom, and we needed someone like Dav's stature to lift the image of Bangladesh cricket. He was the ideal person, who could stand firm against fierce criticisms from the world media and instill positive mentality within our cricketers and motivate them despite countless failures. He has done his job; Bangladesh team is now known for its fearless attitudes and has built a positive image. Now it's time to appoint a technical coach. A professional coach, who will work with the techniques of our boys and will be hard working. Not necessarily he has to be high profile coach, but he must be able to stand firm in difficult times and convert Bangladesh to a technically correct team.

Secondly, change in captaincy. When Bashar took over captaincy from Khaled Mahmud, it was one of the most hailed decisions of Bangladesh cricket. He was only consistent performer of Bangladesh team, and performance earned him captaincy. He was never a captaincy material and made numerous tactical errors in both forms of the game. He took "safety first" approach regardless of prevailing situation, the unpredictability and inconsistency of youngsters contributed a lot in his defensive approach.

Bashar and Dav, with support from the selectors, managed to inject some young blood into the team, and these new generation of players have a completely different set of mentality. To be honest, Bashar led the rejuvenation of Bangladesh cricket, but it was the crop of these youngsters attitude coupled with their performances. Ironically, Bashar failed to adapt himself with the new situation and lost his touch completely. He finally decided to quit ODI captaincy, and it's also the time to leave the test captaincy. Intellectually he has nothing left to offer for Bangladesh cricket. He carried the burden of Bangladesh test batting single handedly over the last few years, he should take some time to assess his Test batting and make honest decision for the best interest of Bangladesh cricket.

BCB must appoint a new captain for both forms of the game. A new pair, coach and captain, with bold and positive visions can only take Bangladesh cricket to the next level. It can be either Ashraful or Mashrafe, both positive player and proven performer. It's the high time to make the decision.

Thirdly, the composition of the team. Time has come to take some strong decisions about some of players. We are carrying them for years without reasonable explanations. Javed Omar, Khaled Mashud has nothing left to offer for Bangladesh team in both forms of the game, same applies to Habibul Bashar in ODIs. We should thank them for their contributions for Bangladesh cricket and move on. Only performance should be the criteria for selection, whether it’s Test or ODI. We have heard enough about experience, only experience cannot buy any success, it must be accompanied by performance. Everyone must understand, it's the young blood who changed the Bangladesh team in ODIs, and only they can change Bangladesh in Tests. We need players like Tamim Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed and Mushfiqur Rahim in the Test team, who can take oppositions to the wire with their aggressive intents. Test cricket has evolved a lot along with ODIs. Now, teams play for win, aggressive players like Adam Gilchrist, Kevin Pietersen, Mahendara Dhoni are ruling Test cricket. Timid approach can only hold us back, time has come to open the eyes and change the thought process.

Lastly, change in the domestic structure. BCB have taken couple encouraging decision to develop domestic cricket and establishment of National Cricket Academy is one of them. A fully functional academy can only groom the youngsters for the future Bangladesh team. Now, in addition to basic skills training, National Academy should be able to cover the following aspects of modern cricket to cope with the evolving cricketing culture, both on and off the pitch.

- Sports Psychology and Visualization
- Addressing issues such as self and group dynamics and self management
- Critical thinking and Problem solving
- Media Relations and how to deal with the press
- Players' contracts, Sponsors and sponsorship

Apart from the academy activities, a major overhaul is needed in the wicket types. Keeping the natural sub-continental wickets in some first class venues, BCB must prepare some sporting wickets which will offer pace and bounce. Only then players will be exposed to different level of challenges and will be able to acclimatize to different conditions. Financial security of the first class cricketers is another important issue which BCB must deal professionally. First class players should be able to earn their livelihood through playing cricket, so that they can fully concentrate on the development of the game which in turn will enhance the quality of the domestic cricket.

Finally, If we want to progress as a cricketing nation and solve our Test woes, we must take correct decisions about these issues. Bangladesh Cricket Board want to follow Australian model to raise the standard pf the game. I hope they will truly follow the system and will take decisions which will lift the bar and Bangladesh will come out of the dark old days of Test misery.

bangla786
May 27, 2007, 01:25 PM
spot on! tamim aftab mushi are must must! and we also demand a lesson from the south or aussiez qurator to give our moron quroator some lessons how to make better pitch

nasimul
May 27, 2007, 01:35 PM
New selectors as well

uss01
May 27, 2007, 02:10 PM
I agree with everything except that Aftab and Tamim need to be in the Test cricket. But they go for stupid shots and get out. You did't mention that we need players like Rajin in test because they don't play stupid shots. We need to find more players like him. Aftab and Tamim are good for odi's but not for tests (yet). But I really like the pitch preparation idea, need sporty wickets.

Miraz
May 27, 2007, 02:12 PM
I agree with everything except that Aftab and Tamim need to be in the Test cricket. But they go for stupid shots and get out. You did't mention that we need players like Rajin in test because they don't play stupid shots. We need to find more players like him. Aftab and Tamim are good for odi's but not for tests (yet). But I really like the pitch preparation idea, need sporty wickets.

You can definitely differ with my thoughts. :)

About Rajin, we already have him in our Test team and this article is about the change of vision. Going forwards.

Nafis_BD
May 27, 2007, 02:22 PM
Miraz bhaiya u have stolen the words right of my mouth and my mind!!

Murad
May 27, 2007, 02:24 PM
i think we need some aggressive players in test cricket.. earlier nafees used to be aggresive but hes completly out of form... i dont care if its tamim or aftab or someone else.. but we need some good aggressive players for tests..

we have to get rid of JO, Pilot and Bashar(if he doest bat well in the next test series).. we have to find new players.. to replace them.. i dont think mushfique is a good option for wicket-keeping.. he should play more domestic cricket to get experience on WK. I dont think hes ready for any internation cricket yet..

we need a lot of changes for the next series..

Murad
May 27, 2007, 02:25 PM

aaii hai.. tai naki?? Miraz.. bhai apni ki korlen eida..;)

Nafi
May 27, 2007, 02:25 PM
Lovely article Miraz

Rajowana
May 27, 2007, 02:30 PM

hahahaha

Miraz
May 27, 2007, 02:36 PM

An old proverb.

Wise men think alike. :)

uss01
May 27, 2007, 02:40 PM
what about bringing in players in their mid 20's? Like Al Shariar or others who have performed well in the NCL? They are definetely better than Javed Omar type players.What about Sanwar Hossain? Or is he too old? I am not a good fan of bringing in teenagers unless it's absolutely necessary. They just play stupid shots and get out, don't value their wicket.

cricket_pagol
May 27, 2007, 02:47 PM
Nice article Miraz bhai...

rah
May 27, 2007, 02:48 PM

:floor: :floor:
u stole da guys article:floor:
great article though miraz bhai;)

Sovik
May 27, 2007, 03:57 PM
we need a better structure for our domestic league. players should get money for playing in the league. we need little bit of professionalism in our cricketers. we need better pitches.

Miraz
May 27, 2007, 04:07 PM
we need a better structure for our domestic league. players should get money for playing in the league. we need little bit of professionalism in our cricketers. we need better pitches.

Point covered.

zahid
May 27, 2007, 06:03 PM
An old proverb.

Wise men think alike. :)

Even older : Birds of a feather flock together. ( Say it as if squwaking like a parrot )

mali007
May 27, 2007, 06:43 PM
Nice,constructive articles. Also we need experienced,knowledgeble, impartial SELECTION
BOARD. We need one captain for both version of cricket. We don't need experienced past performers --------- we need current performers like TAMIM who without experience
has caught the eyes of world cricket. Most test playing countries are using aggresive players in the opening like Gilchrist, Smith, Shevag, Joishuria,Pieterson,etc. So BD needs players like Tamim,Aftab,Ashraful ,Mashrafee to bat in the frontlines.

Miraz
May 28, 2007, 03:22 AM
Here's another piece from Utpal Shvro in Cricinfo, similar and the gist is somewhat same...

Bangladesh at the crossroads : Miles to go despite World Cup success (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/bdeshvind/content/current/story/296075.html)

cricket_pagol
May 28, 2007, 03:31 AM
Here's another piece from Utpal Shvro in Cricinfo, similar and the gist is somewhat same...

Bangladesh at the crossroads : Miles to go despite World Cup success (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/bdeshvind/content/current/story/296075.html)

Your piece should have been at Cricinfo

PoorFan
May 28, 2007, 04:36 AM
Nice timely article again Miraz, thanks.

Financial security of the first class cricketers is another important issue which BCB must deal professionally. First class players should be able to earn their livelihood through playing cricket, so that they can fully concentrate on the development of the game which in turn will enhance the quality of the domestic cricket.

BCB also should think and work on international player's retirement system ... my comment from another thread ...
<!--StartFragment -->
Well, I think BCB should plan a system of 'Golden Handshake' which financially help players to retire from National team. Something like a package of money + job + insurance for a certain period, which may help them to find a new career in the mean time. Otherwise it's getting ugly as well as hurting teams performance, since as we can see from Mahmud ( chacha ) era. I think BCB has enough money to plan and implement those package according to players contribution. This way it will be more helpful and easy for both players and BCB in my opinion.

Miraz
May 28, 2007, 06:29 AM
Your piece should have been at Cricinfo

Cricinfo is not yet ready to accept articles from a freelancer like me.

Thanks PoorFan and others for your comments and suggestions.

cricket_king
May 28, 2007, 07:29 AM

At least they can actually score some runs. Half of our players all score ducks. Aftab can consistently score 40.........yes that's not good enough for a player of his calibre, but it's better than half the other players. And trust me mate.........tamim'll prove you wrong :smug:
btw...nice article miraz bhai :)
I so wish the BCB could read this :(

IanW
May 28, 2007, 08:16 AM
I dont have an issue with a lot of what is in the article.

But I do have an issue with the headline.

See issues with 'Is it time to retire the captain' and 'What sort of coach should we get' arent about changes in vision.

For example, Australian cricket had to retire Alan Border - the sole good player in a crap side - before he thought he should go, and then the Mark Taylor era saw the team playing for wins rather than draws.

I'd suggest as well the soccer idea of a "technical director" - splitting the skills coaching from the man management (and in any case, I'd argue the flaws in Bangladesh's batting are not fundamentally technical - they are mental, based on knowing what not to hit, rather than one how to move, play certain shots or whatever).

I'd also argue with your mandate for more aggression - if anything, the Bangladesh side needs a faster, stronger, better JO type or two to balance the raw aggression of the younger players. Unfortunately, I have no idea of who can construct the slow and patient hundreds that I think the team needs to make dominating scores, and sometimes you need to make a team out of the talent you have (cf the lack of good Australian offspinners over the last ummm forever).

Finally, acclimitising players to different conditions is best done by touring them, not by trying to change the types of wickets Bangladesh produces.

Me, I'm impressed with the job BCB have done with *all* the back office stuff. If you compare BCB with the mess that is Pakistan or the West Indies, or the byzantine politics of BCCI, then they really have done a good job.

Most of all, I think that the Bangladesh team is not at a crossroads - but it has come into the hills on a winding road. It gets hard, bowling on flat tracks to good batsmen and needing to manufacture wickets. It gets hard, chasing 600 after being in the field for two and a half days. It gets hard, getting up after getting belted and playing the next game to win.

But it is these hard things that will have to be done to turn this young and talented side into world beaters. Certainly, some will stumble, fall and be lost. Certainly, missed chances will be rued. But I will judge this side, not by what it did last week or last month, or by what it will do next week or next month, but by what it does in four years.

2011. Thats when I'm counting the marbles.

Ian Whitchurch

Rabz
May 28, 2007, 08:26 AM
Ian mate, sometimes i feel you are more of a Bangladeshi than many of us.
Your love and support for our team is really amazing.
Appreciate that.

Miraz
May 28, 2007, 09:56 AM
Ian,
Thanks for your input.

In current Bangladeshi context "Time to appoint a Captain with new thoughts" and "What sort of coach should we get" are indeed about Change of vision.

A captain largely determines the approach of a Team in both Tests and ODI. With Bashar as a Captain, most opponents can easily predict the course of action of Bangladesh Team in a particular game. Chittagong Test is a classic example, with a captain with the mindset of Graeme Smith or Ricky Ponting or any other positive captain would have definitely gone for a win. With Bashar there it was a safe bet for Dravid. We need to change the vision of our captain to achieve positive results in Tests, a captain with positive attitude, who will play for a win and will be ready to take the challenge to the opposition whenever opportunity arises.

About coach, since Dav made his position clear, BCB is talking about high profile coaches, which IMO is not the right choice for Bangladesh Team in the present context. Here BCB must change their vision and understand the need of the team. And I have clarified the reason in my article.

I definitely agree with you that acclimatization can be better done by touring countries. What I am proposing is additional resources, look at Australian wicket type. Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide all have different wicket type and Australian first class players are playing in these different condition which is definitely help them to acclimatize to different conditions before making it to the national team. Having different wicket types at home will definitely help our first class players to develop their skill to play different shots. When they will make it to the A team or National team, only then they will get the opportunity to tour different countries, and then they can use their experience to acclimatize better. I am not saying that we should sacrifice our natural sub-continent wicket types. That's our strength when other countries will be touring us, we must keep them but we need diversity for our players skill.

For example, our batsman hardly have the proper technique to play hook and pull shots as balls in our wicket types rarely reach that level to play these shots. Secondly, we are not getting good fast bowlers due to nature of wicket. In our wicket, fast bowlers are battered and batsmen find them easy to negotiate. Getting some assistance from the wicket will encourage fast bowlers as well as batsmen will get different kind of challenge.

I hope this clarifies.
Thanks

Miraz

degree01
May 28, 2007, 09:58 AM
what about bringing in players in their mid 20's? Like Al Shariar or others who have performed well in the NCL? They are definetely better than Javed Omar type players.What about Sanwar Hossain? Or is he too old? I am not a good fan of bringing in teenagers unless it's absolutely necessary. They just play stupid shots and get out, don't value their wicket.

I agree with u in this one. Its frustrating to see stupid shots played by these players, especially aftab. And why do bangladesh selectors put dat guy in number 3 spot is beyond me. Put him in 6 place.

Finally I think players should be picked on performance basics,:

Miraz
May 28, 2007, 01:43 PM
I'd also argue with your mandate for more aggression - if anything, the Bangladesh side needs a faster, stronger, better JO type or two to balance the raw aggression of the younger players.

Ian,
I missed this point. Technically JO was probably the worst batsmen played for Bangladesh after gaining the Test status. I don't understand what do you mean by better JO type, do you mean the mindset to stay at the wicket?

JO can never be an example of a Test player. If you want more gritty player, that's fine, probably you can say better Rajin type.

ammark
May 28, 2007, 04:05 PM
For lack of a proper thread discussing the series, I'm including the stats as posted by DStar here:

http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/05/29/2007-05-29__sport03.jpg

Miraz
May 28, 2007, 04:29 PM
I just wonder, why Mashrafe was not adjudged Man of the series?

151 runs with 50.33 average and 6 wickets should be enough.

Leading performer for Bangladesh by a distance.

Nafi
May 28, 2007, 04:58 PM
Ian,
I missed this point. Technically JO was probably the worst batsmen played for Bangladesh after gaining the Test status. I don't understand what do you mean by better JO type, do you mean the mindset to stay at the wicket?

JO can never be an example of a Test player. If you want more gritty player, that's fine, probably you can say better Rajin type.

JO is a very good test batsman, too bad he given out on a catch where his bat didnt hit the damn ball.

In test all it matters is keeping your wicket, and JO does that very good, though he may never be the ideal ODI player, he should always be in the test team.

kmasum
May 28, 2007, 07:37 PM
great article miraz bhai! you do the best !!

Xavier
May 29, 2007, 09:45 AM
I get into this thread to ask about Shariar Nafees... he was best BD batsman in 2006 and now his performances are really poor... what's happened to him?

Aritro
May 29, 2007, 09:52 AM
In test all it matters is keeping your wicket, and JO does that very good.

He doesn't really, his technique is no where near up to scratch and I believe he's only made one 50 in his last 16 innings.

He's also been out for less than 10 on 7 occasions.

Cricket46
June 1, 2007, 02:08 PM
Very nice and well thought out article. However, I disagree that the induction of youngsters is the answer. As far as I am concerned, age is not always a factor. If an older player is in better form would you drop that player just because of age? Then most of Australian players would not be in their team. Players need to perform, that is the single most important criterion. If a young player performs well that is even better, because the future would look bright for the team.

This article did not touch on who should be the next captain, but I am certainly against Mashrafee being the next one. In general bowlers are not good captains. The first problem is that they usually overbowl or underbowl themselves. If Mashrafee turns out to be an all rounder in the class of Imran Khan or Richard Hadlee, which he probably could, then I would be OK. In any case, I am digressing here.

sadi
June 1, 2007, 02:44 PM
I get into this thread to ask about Shariar Nafees... he was best BD batsman in 2006 and now his performances are really poor... what's happened to him?

He got married. :-D

SS
June 1, 2007, 03:10 PM
I will kinda agree somewhat with Sadi on SN's performance. I am not discouraging marriage, but it's for sure that it diverts your attention at some point. There is no logical explanation or proof with me, but it happened to lot of ppl (no source or stat available), but it's from experience and it happened to lot of people, especially the newly married. That's everywhere (both East and West), though viewing the marriage concept differently, ppl wait to get married when they get mature mentally, professionaly. Just my 2 cents, there are exceptions.

Miraz
June 2, 2007, 02:05 PM
So, BCB has agreed to our second suggestion.
BCB must appoint a new captain for both forms of the game. A new pair, coach and captain, with bold and positive visions can only take Bangladesh cricket to the next level. It can be either Ashraful or Mashrafe, both positive player and proven performer. It's the high time to make the decision.

Hopefully they will implement the rest with time. :)

oracle
June 2, 2007, 10:46 PM
Agree with all issues raised in this good article. Lately, however, I am thinking about the way BCB is pursuing this Aussie model without thinking about where actually most of our players are from. I mean, cricket team spots are going to be a desired career and will shut out a lot of talent because of socioecon reasons.

yaseer
June 3, 2007, 12:57 AM
Nice article Miraz bhai....

In "change in the domestic structure" i want to share some of my thoughts to make the national cricket league more competitive:

- in addition to getting increased match fees, Winning team's players should get bonus money.
- Champion team should get the opportunity to visit one of test playing nations and play matches there...or any visiting team can play with our NCL champs as warm up match.
- BCB can invite strong "A" teams of other test playing nation in our NCL to play the the whole season as our "A" team played in other countries.
- Encourage regional teams to fight hard to become champion in NCL, give them incentives like, bonus money, champion division will get to host test matches, get more fund for infrustructure....so on...

It's very important that all players take our only 1st class competition very seriously and thus by seeing players in NCL, we definitely can come to conclusion that which playaer is good enough to go to the next level.

Go_Bangladesh
June 3, 2007, 01:04 AM
now we need a job permanent coach else everything is in the right direction, s nafees needs a break and then he'll be bak in form, then our team will be good(odi) and we'll have a good captain

yaseer
June 3, 2007, 06:56 AM
we also demand a lesson from the south or aussiez qurator to give our moron quroator some lessons how to make better pitch

We want sporting pitches or pitches that suits our kind of play......not the pitches suited for aussies or south africans...

To play better in foreign soil (specilly outside sub-cont.), we need to send our "A" and U-19 team to visit their countries more often.

BANFAN
June 4, 2007, 06:51 AM
Bangladesh cricket at a crossroad: change of vision required to lift the bar
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

Bangladesh cricket has entered into the most crucial period after gaining the Test status. ............ and Bangladesh cricket must select right persons to fill their shoes.

Very timely thoughts

Firstly, coach selection.

To add...The deficiency I felt during whatmore's time, was of a boaling coach, We have seen talents coming and diminishing due to lack of appropriate grooming & Guidance. It should be seriously thought to have a good boaling coach for the team. Even short exposure of our pacers to the likes of Akram, Waker, Mcgrath, could be boosting the performance of the bowlers to a great extent

Secondly, change in captaincy.

That's already done and think quiet appropriately

Thirdly, the composition of the team. Time has come to take some strong decisions about some of players. We are carrying them for years without reasonable explanations........ Javed Omar, Khaled Mashud has nothing left to offer for Bangladesh team in both forms of the game, same applies to Habibul Bashar in ODIs. We need players like Tamim Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed and Mushfiqur Rahim in the Test team, who can take oppositions to the wire with their aggressive intents. Test cricket has evolved a lot along with ODIs. Now, teams play for win, aggressive players like Adam Gilchrist, Kevin Pietersen, Mahendara Dhoni are ruling Test cricket. Timid approach can only hold us back, time has come to open the eyes and change the thought process.

So appropriate about the older players. And also for the young players like tamim, Aftab, Mushi.... In fact an upcoming team like BD should not have much changes in the test and ODI teams, We must keep more or less the same team and allow these young boys to learn to adapt to different situations and how to change gears in game. that helps in both form and makes them matured players. None does so much changes between both team, thease days. !/2 changes should be enough

Lastly, change in the domestic structure.

The pitches should be bouncy pitches like SA, Aus, WI it has been proven over the years, that it is easy to adapt quickly to a dead indian type pitch, rathar than bouncy pitches. Unless it is impossible to make bouncy pitches in BD due to weather / Soil, but as much as possible we must have mostly bouncy pictches
Finally, If we want to progress as a cricketing nation and solve our Test woes, we must take correct decisions about these issues. Bangladesh Cricket Board want to follow Australian model to raise the standard pf the game. I hope they will truly follow the system and will take decisions which will lift the bar and Bangladesh will come out of the dark old days of Test misery.

We hope they (BCB) understand and follow it in the true spirit, not one of convenience, like it happens/ed in many fields of BD

Finally,thanks for raising the issues & suggestions which are so timely, important and well thought

Miraz
June 4, 2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks BANFAN for your additions.

I do differ slightly with the bouncy pitch concept. To me
Keeping the natural sub-continental wickets in some first class venues, BCB must prepare some sporting wickets which will offer pace and bounce. Only then players will be exposed to different level of challenges and will be able to acclimatize to different conditions.
is more appropriate approach than trying to make all pitches bouncy.

BANFAN
June 4, 2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks BANFAN for your additions.

I do differ slightly with the bouncy pitch concept. To me

is more appropriate approach than trying to make all pitches bouncy.

Thanks Miraz

Well I said as much as possible, But you seem to be suggesting something more specific and it's a combination of both types, which definitely will prepare the players to acclamatize even better in both conditions. It possibly is the best thing if our technical staff can make/maintain it. I stand corrected on that statement

Another point I wanted to add to your domestic cricket thoughts, why not put some sort of quality controll system on foreign players, like the players should have the experience of playing test/odi for his country or be atleast a playing member of A team. This can fill up the vacuum created by the absense of the national team and the leagues can still be interesting and our young players will be exposed to good & competitive cricket, taking the domestic level up. When the national team can play they will. Still about half of all the teams will be young upcoming tallents, who will have a great opportunity to improve their level to make the domestic performance count.

Thanx

Miraz
June 14, 2007, 01:08 PM
BCB is definitely heading towards professionalism and taking very right decisions.

Here's what I have proposed

Financial security of the first class cricketers is another important issue which BCB must deal professionally. First class players should be able to earn their livelihood through playing cricket, so that they can fully concentrate on the development of the game which in turn will enhance the quality of the domestic cricket.

and it's almost done in todays BCB meeting

NCL gets cash boost
Sports Reporter

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) did not discuss issues like picking a coach for the Tigers or on the selectors during a meeting at a conference hall in Gulshan last night.With Bangladesh cricket team being handled by interim coach Shaun Williams, the need for some semblance of decision on the appointment of a coach was not even in the agenda. The issue of a new selection committee was also not an agenda for discussion, surprisingly.
Among the agendas, sprucing domestic cricket was on top of all discussions. It was decided that Tk 10,000 would be provided to each player for playing a four-day match and Tk 5,000 for the limited-over match in the National Cricket League, informed BCB general secretary Mahbub Anam
All the divisional teams will be provided with coach, physio and trainer and each side will get at least three weeks of preparation time. The facilities would be high standard added the general secretary.
Around Tk 20 lakh would be the total prize money with the champions expected to get half of it.
Mahbub also informed that GrameenPhone will continue to sponsor the Bangladesh national team for the tour of Sri Lanka only.
Meanwhile, the under-19 team will play a triangular series in Sri Lanka against the hosts and India, and play four one-dayers in Malaysia in July-August. The academy team will tour Darwin, Australia in August while the women's team will play two warm-up matches in Thailand en route to Malaysia for the ACC Cup in July.
The top umpires of the country will be brought into the board's payroll.

From Daily Star
(http://thedailystar.net/2007/06/15/d70615040632.htm)

Really a very good move by BCB.

rubel_18
June 14, 2007, 01:15 PM
The article is spot on with pretty much everything.

sadi
June 14, 2007, 01:27 PM
10,000 tk per four day match is not good enough. Each team plays ten four day matches if I am not mistaken and that means each player is making about 1 lakh tk. If you add one day matches with it, thats about another 50,000 tk. So from national league, a first class cricketer is making about 1.5 lakh tk. Now it may sound a lot but its not. Our star players used to make 5-6 lakh tk easily few years back in Dhaka league.

I know its a start but just like I have said, its not quite good enough just yet. I rather have different companies sponsoring different divisions and players negociating their salaries with different divisions. It will not only make the league more interesting, more money will flow in and it will bring our first class cricket out of the picnic mood it has now.

SS
June 14, 2007, 01:29 PM
I am happy that after so many debacles they are ready to re-organize and re-vamp the league. But the amount of time they took it, clearly indicates what were they doing all these years after receiving test status.
Still it matters the most about the honesty of BCB officials and their integrity, otherwise the fate will be same like other industries where only officials get the 'benefits' of investing so funding.
I hope they will prove me wrong.

BANFAN
June 15, 2007, 11:53 AM
10,000 & 5,000 tk per match is not at all reasonable and can't expect to produce players to compete as a test playing nation.

I understand, Money alone does not make players, but it creates the environment for tougher competition & consistant performane to stay in the team. That raises the standard dramatically.

Hope this is begining and it will be increased by BCB in near future or make some sort of sponsorship arrangements to channel more money to the players. Or game improvement will remain to be a dream.

Any way, the decision is welcome, to begin with