PDA

View Full Version : Captaincy dilemma and possible solution

chinaman
May 27, 2007, 04:37 PM
Bashar's decision to quit ODI captaincy is sure to leave a huge void. While he was never been tapped as a prolific skipper, his old fashion, trusted and no-risk style safer approach was more than enough to settle the nerves of BCB officials including selectors as well as fans. Unfortunately, or rather inevitebly, the very circumstances that brought him to the helm are the ones bringing him down. Personal performance and consistency are such mighty things!

We must agree however that, it was great to have his service while it lasted. We owe a lot to the single most successful skipper Bangladesh has ever had to date. Thank you Bashar.

There is neither single nor easy answer to the question, who's gonna fill the void? We have more names than true options. From Ashraful to Abir to Rafique to Kousik to Mashud to Rahim to Rajin, we can name anyone. But deep down, we know how grave the situation is and how volatile the options are for the moment.

With an EKG like performance graph, Ashraful is likely to face more questions than balls. Another step-over the ball and Kousik's mom will do the interview again. A few wicket less sixers and Rafique's social popularity will capture the headlines. Few more zeros and Abir's family life will be the talk of the town. Wrong changes and Rajin will find himself exiting Zia through the back door. The situation is really pressing from the perspective of a fan.

As tigers, we are known to find ways when there is none. There will be no exception this time around either. Rest assured, we'll find it.

One of the possible avenues to explore is to appoint short term skippers while continue to nurture and look for more permanent solution. An experienced vice captain should come very handy. Keepers like Rahim and multi-skillers like Shakib should get more attention than those who may lose consistency without notice.

Periodic lectures, workshops and seminers on leading by example should be of help, more so if it features the likes of Waugh, Tailor, Ranatunge, Imran Khan, Naser Hussain and Heath Streak.

I sincerely hope I got it all wrong and the situation is not as dire as it appears to be.

Sillypoint
May 27, 2007, 04:44 PM
I don't believe 'periodic lectures, workshops and seminars' will help make a great captain. Leaders are born and not created. But that's my belief.

Miraz
May 27, 2007, 04:44 PM
Bashar left a huge void, no doubt, but it was a good decision for the better interest of everyone involved.

I think the situation is not as complex as you are assuming.

The choice is almost straightforward and it's Ashraful.

Ashraful is coming out of age and is far more consistent than any other time of his career. BCB officials, selectors and even Bashar expressed his confidence in Ashraful.

I think he will be a good captain and will take Bangladesh cricket to a new height.

nannu
May 27, 2007, 04:45 PM
when on 2nd day bashar dint showed up on the press meeting. ashrafull reacted very smartly i think.

by the way watch my new/first avater.

nannu ( the rikshaw romanticus)

Sillypoint
May 27, 2007, 04:48 PM
when on 2nd day bashar dint showed up on the press meeting. ashrafull reacted very smartly i think.

by the way watch my new/first avater.

nannu ( the rikshaw romanticus)

Man, this takes me back to the good ol' days in Dhaka. Dujone dujonar....

WarWolf
May 27, 2007, 05:29 PM
Nice to find the well written post from Chinaman bhai. Let's hope our next captain will perform well. This post also reminds me to limit my expectation as a fan of a rising cricketing nation.

zahid
May 27, 2007, 05:46 PM
Another step-over the ball and Kousik's mom will do the interview again. A few wicket less sixers and Rafique's social popularity will capture the headlines. Few more zeros and Abir's family life will be the talk of the town. Wrong changes and Rajin will find himself exiting Zia through the back door.

lol

BD-Shardul
May 28, 2007, 12:28 AM
Bashar left a huge void, no doubt, but it was a good decision for the better interest of everyone involved.

Ashraful is coming out of age and is far more consistent than any other time of his career. BCB officials, selectors and even Bashar expressed his confidence in Ashraful.

I think he will be a good captain and will take Bangladesh cricket to a new height.

Miraz Bhai,

I think the situation doesn't seem dire to you because you have a high belief on Ashraful.
No doubt that he is smarter comparing to Habibul Bashar, but my only fear is his consistency.

Luvlee_nik
May 28, 2007, 12:58 AM
I don't believe 'periodic lectures, workshops and seminars' will help make a great captain. Leaders are born and not created. But that's my belief.

i agree, u born with it, its like the saying if a crow wears the feathers of a peacock, its still a crow, similarly if bashar isnt a born leader, no matter what he does he will always remain a lousy captain

Nocturnal
May 28, 2007, 01:09 AM
agreed with Miraz bhai's post.
Ashraful is the best choice now and he will do good.

One World
May 28, 2007, 01:15 AM
i agree, u born with it, its like the saying if a crow wears the feathers of a peacock, its still a crow, similarly if bashar isnt a born leader, no matter what he does he will always remain a lousy captain

i cant say anything although i know there is a lot to say against such comparison.

PoorFan
May 28, 2007, 01:34 AM
I think Chinaman is quite right, I am too not confident on Ashraful as captain, not on Mashree, nor Nafees, and the reason is what Chainaman said. None could lead the team for long and successfully unless whoever captain perform himself with consistency. Since the whole team lacks consistency it's rather obvious future captaincy will be in crisis more often than Bashar era.

Having said that, since we must have to move forward I think its wise to go with short term ( couple of series ) captaincy system as Chinaman insisted. Though I beg to differ on the idea of 'experienced' vice captain, since the 'experienced' in our team means same old Bashar, Javed, Pilot. I doubt these people would do any help rather than confrontation, trouble and grouping, <!--StartFragment -->if we give them the chance in decision making on the field or in dressing room.

Instead we should invest on grooming vice captain too with new generation. If those three ( Bashar, Javed, Pilot ) are not in the team and Rafique selected for vice captain then it might be helpful for us to shift towards reform I guess.

<!--StartFragment -->Btw, How about our Chinaman for our team physio? I mean 'mental' physio? I am sure it will help our team 120%

roi
May 28, 2007, 02:29 AM
As some people says, asraful is a good option for ODI captaincy......I wonder, how these people will respond when BD will defeated badly in SL with asraful's poor score as batsman. I am interested to see Bashar basher's responce....!

cricket_pagol
May 28, 2007, 02:58 AM
I think Ashraful will be an OK captain, he will not be our dream captain!!!

I was really rooting for SN, but his form has let us down. I hope he discovers his form soon.

scoilaheez
May 28, 2007, 03:31 AM
Simple, it has to be Ash. But Nafees had real potential for a while but he has to get back into the team.

Ahmed_B
May 28, 2007, 06:54 AM
I have to agree with CM bhai here, that the situation is not as plain and simple as it looks like. "just close your eyes and give it to Ash" or "Mash must be the clear choice" or "The little genious Mushfiq will do the miracle" .... none of these might ultimately work immediately.

To be honest, any new captain who takes charge will take some good time to get adopted to it. And whoever is given the job, will make many mistakes in the beginning and face lots of criticisms. As fans, we just have to be patient with our new captain and give him enough time to come good.

cricket_king
May 28, 2007, 07:04 AM
Yeah this is a tough one for the selectors. Who do they give it to? We have such talent, yet most are inconsistent with poor temperaments. Real testing times for our selectors......as well as our players....

zahid
May 28, 2007, 08:04 AM
We have to give Ashraful some time.

Btw, he and Rahim already Captain in the League.

Rumz_01
May 28, 2007, 08:15 AM
Mushfiq has dne great with the u19, i think tha he wud be good, he is a cricket genious. I think tha Asraful wud be good, n even Sakib, they hav great cricketing minds, n can be aggressive wen need be!

IanW
May 28, 2007, 08:37 AM
The Australian way, broken only once, is to take your best batsman and make him captain.

Bangladesh, having adopted the Australian way of cricket, must take the decision on the matter of the captaincy in this light.

Therefore, Mohammed Ashraful should be the Captain of the Bangladesh Test Cricket side.

Having said this, there are some words I wish I could speak to Habibul Bashar.

Habibul Bashar, I have the greatest and deepest respect for the way that you carried your side in so many hard years. You were a quality batsman in a struggling side, and in your efforts, your demenour and your courage you have earned my undying respect. You were the man who took Bangladesh cricket to the end of the beginning.
You were the man who, at St Lucia, Cardiff and elsewhere brought respect to the Mighty Bangladesh Tigers.

I will always be grateful for the pleasure I have drawn from your elegant batting, and from the way you kept doing the hard things to make the team better.

Ian Whitchurch

Warlock
May 28, 2007, 09:12 AM
Make Ash captain and give the vice captaincy to either Rahim or Saqib.

mali007
May 28, 2007, 11:13 AM
Ashraful is the right choice. He already proved his captaincy genius in the 1st test in
Chittagong in Bashar's absence. Also he has been leading club & team in premier and
national league.

sadi
May 28, 2007, 12:17 PM
Right now we have no option but to give it to Ashraful. I don't think he will be an okay captain. Either he will rise to the occasion and show his brilliant talent with the bat or he will let us down big time. I hope for the first one though.

Sohel
May 28, 2007, 12:22 PM

there is no confusion... listen to miraz bhai...:D

CricTiger
May 28, 2007, 12:25 PM
Make Ash captain and give the vice captaincy to either Rahim or Saqib.

Ash will be captain and Mash will be VC .

Rommel
May 28, 2007, 03:37 PM
Why don't we just not appoint a captain for the series against Sri Lanka. Then we can see who emerges as a leader in that series and appoint him to captaincy.

Sohel
May 28, 2007, 03:44 PM
there IS no dilemma

ialbd
May 28, 2007, 04:04 PM
Ashraful should be ahead of others in the race & hence there should'nt be any dilemma... but I get the point being made.....

AsifTheManRahman
May 28, 2007, 06:03 PM
The Australian way, broken only once, is to take your best batsman and make him captain.

Bangladesh, having adopted the Australian way of cricket, must take the decision on the matter of the captaincy in this light.

Therefore, Mohammed Ashraful should be the Captain of the Bangladesh Test Cricket side.

Habibul Bashar, I have the greatest and deepest respect for the way that you carried your side in so many hard years. You were a quality batsman in a struggling side, and in your efforts, your demenour and your courage you have earned my undying respect. You were the man who took Bangladesh cricket to the end of the beginning.
You were the man who, at St Lucia, Cardiff and elsewhere brought respect to the Mighty Bangladesh Tigers.

I will always be grateful for the pleasure I have drawn from your elegant batting, and from the way you kept doing the hard things to make the team better.

Ian Whitchurch

well put.

SMHasan
May 28, 2007, 08:56 PM

Ian Whitchurch

To ATMR and Ian: The question is - is every best batsman a good leader? Or it happened only to Australia where every batsman (who were given the captaincy)was a good captain?

Not necessarily the best batsman will be a good captain but somehow it worked for Australia. Steve, Taylor, Border all them were very good batsman and they were very good captain too.

BD Tigers
May 28, 2007, 09:26 PM
It looks like that they will give Ash the captency for both ODI and Test according to an unnamed BCB officials (read in Prothom Alo). I know it will be a huge pressure on Ash which can have 2 sides. In one side he can totally flop like Tendu but on the other hand he can rise to the occasion like Inzi.

AsifTheManRahman
May 28, 2007, 10:01 PM
To ATMR and Ian: The question is - is every best batsman a good leader?

I don't necessarily think that every good batsman is a good leader. I was just agreeing with him in that Ashraful is probably the most logical choice for captain at the moment.

Haradhon
May 28, 2007, 10:19 PM
Ash will be captain and Mash will be VC . Mashrafe is rapidly transforming into a good all-rounder. My worry is he is injury-prone. Otherwise he would make a good captain. As for Ashraful I hope the responsibility of being the captain may force him to make better ball selection. Then think about Jayasuriya. Can Ash develop into a Jayasuriya with a little more careful approach toward batting? Upcoming SL series is a big test for him.

Beamer
May 28, 2007, 10:29 PM
If its Ashraful, then he must lead both sides. Any team, specailly as young as ours, can't afford to have two captains for two different sides. So, go with Ashraful as the captain, drop Bashar from the one day side while he gets to play the tests against SL as a batsman only, and lower than his customary no.3. He still deserves to play tests based on his record in that game. It will be unfair to drop him from the test side based on a bad series against India. I ,however ,doubt he will ever recover from this decline. Age seems to have caught up with his reflexes. He has been getting out to balls that he usually used to disptach to the fence. He looks to be reacting late. Saying that, I hope he bats well against SL in tests so we can benefit as a team.

About him creating a huge void by leaving the captaincy is a baseless statement with all due respect. Our ODI team has been winning because of a few players in the squad, namely : Tamim, SN, Aftab, Ash, Sakib, Rahim, Mash, Razzak, Rasel etc. They have managed to win over the last year or so by collective individual efforts minus any contribution from HB as a batsman or a captain. There was a void to begin with from the captaincy point of view. The team won in a vacuum. Somebody will try to fill in the missing space now.

IanW
May 28, 2007, 10:48 PM
To ATMR and Ian: The question is - is every best batsman a good leader? Or it happened only to Australia where every batsman (who were given the captaincy)was a good captain?

Not necessarily the best batsman will be a good captain but somehow it worked for Australia. Steve, Taylor, Border all them were very good batsman and they were very good captain too.

Nope, it's just the way we do it.

The traditional English method is to pick a captain, then the players.

In Australia, you pick the players and then make the best batsman captain.

I've seen both work and not work.

Ian

sadi
May 28, 2007, 11:15 PM
The difference between an australian batsman and a bangladeshi batsman is an australian batsman has to work his butt off before making it to the national side. Domestic cricket is so competitive there. They get to analyze the game better as they move up the ladder. Here, one or two good innings in the domestic cricket or a good stint with under-19 bring a player to the national side and they don't develop the eye to analyze the game and cope with different situations.

Coming back to the topic, it does make sense to give the captaincy to Ash for now. I wouldn't burden Mashrafee with additional duties and Nafees should work on his game. However, I would give him the captaincy for SL tour only and let our new coach come in and decide with the selection commette who should be our next captain.

James90
May 29, 2007, 02:33 AM
Has Ashraful ever captained at club or underage level? Rajin surely has. I'd still rather give it to Shahriah Nafees if truth be told.

Shafin
May 30, 2007, 09:26 AM
Ashraful is captain of both his Club and 1st class team,and he has extremely good records as captain and he also performed better when being captain.

Tokai
May 30, 2007, 09:44 AM
Whoever becomes the new captain will have some initial failures to get a hang of the new job. but we need to be patient here. And if we do that, Ashraful, Mashrafee, Shakib, Shahriar Nafees, Mushfiqur Rahim all can be 10 times better captain than Bashar. I agree to the fact that captains are born not created (even though a born captain can benifit from lectures or workshop). On the other hand, a no-where-near-a-captain can do the job of a captain with lectures or workshops (like Bashar).

In short, bashar lacked the vary basics of captaincy and he was not a 0 as a captain but a -10 (like a born not captain). But average humans are 0. So, it is very much likely that all other 11 player will do a better job than bashar.

and NO. bashar leaving captaincy will not create a void, but will fill up a void.

Ashrafull has a very good record as captian. Think about the first time he captained Sonar ga. They lost 5/6 matches at a row, then that captain was fired and ashraful was made the captain, they won the rest of the games and became the runners up. that is how much difference a captian can make.

Baundule
May 30, 2007, 09:53 AM
Very well-written, CM.:clap:

Tigers_eye
May 30, 2007, 10:02 AM
We are as deep as Chinaman has said. Only our nose is above the water. This is a crucial time. Our expectation is getting higher by the seconds. The fall may be harder than we can anticipate. We must be patient.

If only for once I had seen Ash being calm after getting out (not mad at himself) I would have endorsed Ash wholeheartedly. This tells me, he himself knows that he has much to learn. (when to play which shot)

He is the only choice (best choice) we have. Giving SN the vice captain would be a confidence booster which is very important for our team. My fingers are crossed and hoping for the best.

Protic
May 30, 2007, 12:34 PM
Well.. Ashraful has always been our surprise package..eh? Rafique,Mashrafe..they have been consistent actually..whether with bat or bowl..we have never TRIED Ashraful with the captaincy burden..and he might come out as a Jayawardene..and guys everyone should agree that he's way talented that Jayawardene..he just needs to pull out the juice. So i would like him to be the captain..and see whether he does become a good captain or not.. and for Vice captain..i would have liked Shahriar Nafees but ..he's form is really under a lot of fire now..so Mashrafe is good for the place..or Rafique even..something in the "captaincy" screen for him.. :)

akabir77
May 30, 2007, 01:02 PM
My only concern is if he fails please guys don't say drop him from the team too like some r trying to drop HB from the test side. If he fails as captain then change the captain. but don't expect that he will score big every time just because he is the captain. FAN and management should know that this guy scores twice in a year and excepting that fact we r giving him the C position but if still scores twice in a year what will those fans and MM say? he lost his touch or he got the same form? or drop him he is worse... I think they will say the last one... and hence my concern...

Russell2k7
May 30, 2007, 10:03 PM
Aus has no best player. Ricky, Gilchrist, Hayden, Clarke, McGrath or perhaps the in form Hussey are all best player.

ammark
May 30, 2007, 10:51 PM
Ashraful, SN, Tushar, Rajin or Mashrafee... they're all really young blokes compared to say JO, Pilot, Rafique and HB. To give any of the younger ones the responsibility of Captaincy, ideally I would want our whole team to have a new look, over which the new captain will have considerable command, and will also get considerable feedback from.

That means, we really should replace Pilot with Mushi, and JO with Mehrab Jr/Tamim/NI/Tushar/ Rajin. I know supporters of the older two take these angles:

- JO inevitably, as a hanger-around is stable as an opener and hasnt blundered much for our team compared to all other batsmen who are extremely inconsistent.
- Pilot is the best wicketkeeper we have, better than Mushi apparently

But face it, both of these players have Tremendous limitations: We need to replace JO with younger players who are likely to give their all round effort to the Team under Ashraful or Mashrafee or whoever. This would especially be pertinent for the WK too, Mushi is hell of a lot of a positive influence and critical voice on the field and would probably be giving a lot more positive feedback to a dynamic new captain.

In other words, we run the risk of having a completely young team who will need quite a bit of time finding their feet in the international stage. I just dont see our team progressing as well with hangers-on like JO and Pilot, as well as an out of form HB (and even an out of form SN). All they seem to provide in my opinion is a facade of stability on a per game basis, instead of an actual progression in the team overall.

As chinaman said, Bangladeshi fans CANNOT be impatient and fickle with the new captain thus. We NEED change in captaincy, but even after this change results May NOT come immediately. And my point after all is that, if there is a change in captaincy, I would want a dynamic future generation fighting it out and learning through instead of having 2-3 older players depriving them of forming the mould.

Sohel
May 31, 2007, 03:57 AM
well put ammark, couldn't have said it better myself... but i'll take alok over tushar anyday. i'll play tushar against the likes of zimbabwe and ireland first, and see he whether can score more than 30 against their bowlers, before he has the chance to face better bowlers from better sides. tushar's still living off that FC 200 and should't be.

fai_hasan
May 31, 2007, 04:26 AM
its always a tought choice to select the captain. However, we have to give them some time, at least one - two years and see how ashraful is doing. Its not wise to change a captain after a tour or two. It would be bad and harmul for the team as well as the player himself.

Ashraful would be under pressure, and we have observer how he performs under that. As we have already seen, bashar had completely collapsed under pressure. Mushfiqur rahim would be a good decision after three four years, he would be matured and experienced.

Dhakablues
June 2, 2007, 02:01 AM
So is it that our favorite player is to be the captain or the thinking cricketer with experience that should be the captiain? ... I mean to be able to analyze which player is prone to attack spin on leg versus bounce/pace on off with hookers and how to use the ball according to the overs lapsed in wet/dry weather and all these types of combination of anlytical skills coupled with leadership will make a better captain. Not our favorite players who may have the skills at best to perform at the role he is suppose to perform. Thats why Rafique, Rajin, Mashrafee, Rajjak were not captains in their respective local teams. Rafique was captain of Mohammedan but his records in that role is not so glamourous as the bolwer or pinch hitter Rafique. In other words, the very reason Khaled Mahmud, Nannu, Raqibul etc. were the best captains because of his shrewdness, though-leadership and experience and not because they were liked by the fans much. Ultimately who will be the captain of Bangladesh cricket is pretty much known to us all. Can anyone put Ashraful under perssure? I dont think anything moves Ashraful,,, he will still create shots, dazzle with brillance and play his own game whether 3 wickets are down or 5..he is not bothered by those variables. And I am hopeful that Ashraful will lead us to newer heights with the new coach, manager and new expecations for coming days..

sar2005
June 2, 2007, 06:30 AM
IMO, Success of a captain depends on 4 elements -

1. Captaincy Meterial (30%)- Something charasmatic which is mostly God gifted
2. Performance (30%) - Lead the team from the front through own performances
3. Team Support (30%) - Acceptability by the team members and management
4. Luck (10%) - None can ignore this. There is a saying "on your good day".

(I ignored consistency as it is an element of no. 2 option i.e. performance. Also ability to speak English is secondary issue and anybody can picks it up-to a certain level by working hard).

I think Ashraful can score 75 (15+25+30+5) on above scale and most crucial point for him right at the moment is the support by the team and management. In terms of performance, he is definitely capable to score 25 out of 30. His score can easily go to 85 on a good day when he will get 30/30 in performance and 10/10 in luck (looks like he is a lucky man when he got wickets in the test match against IND while Bashar was out of field. Hope he can bring the good omen for the team).

Only question reamins is on his ability on leading the team in the field. His current score is 50% (i.e. 15/30) which is fare enough at the moment. We need to wait and see his final score on this.

I don't see anyone in the team who can score 75% in above scale. So, i would say, it's fare to give him a try.

Aritro
June 2, 2007, 06:44 AM
Has Ashraful ever captained at club or underage level? Rajin surely has. I'd still rather give it to Shahriah Nafees if truth be told.

He captains Sonargon in Dhaka League, and does a bloody good job of it from all accounts.

Richard McInnes once said something along the lines of 'Nafees, followed by daylight' when discussing our best potential captains. But we can't really give it to a bloke who's place in the team is still a bit iffy.

Although I suppose that could also be levelled at Ashraful.

Ahmed_B
June 2, 2007, 07:00 AM
My only concern is if he fails please guys don't say drop him from the team too ...
U mean like this? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/ahmedb/mob.jpg

:)

Omio
June 2, 2007, 07:14 AM
I think Tushar may b better choice for odi captain.

Hatebreed
June 2, 2007, 07:17 AM
Fair & lovely beshi use korchhen bujhi?

U mean like this? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/ahmedb/mob.jpg

:)