PDA

View Full Version : Gains from BD-India Series

Sillypoint
May 27, 2007, 06:37 PM
I know it is hard to find any positives from the humiliating defeat in this BD-India Test series. But there are some achievements to be thankful for.

1. Bashar's decision to quit as captain ( if had a managed to a score 10+ innings in the last test match, I don't know...he may have taken a different decision; thanks India!)
2. Mashrafee is now an all-rounder (he is modest and claims not to be, but everyone else thinks otherwise)
3. Ash's 67 run innings with world record (fastest half century time wise). Hopefully he will be consistent and stay in the crease longer.
4. The lackluster performance by Khaled Masud should remove all doubts from the selectors' mind and they can easily drop him and include Mushfiq Rahim.
5. Finally, a jalamoyi (aggresive) interview by Utpol Shuvro. Even he (a long time blind supporter of HB) can realize that it is time for Bashar to go (At last he realizes that it is not only ODI, Bashar is not good for Test matches too)

One World
May 27, 2007, 06:46 PM
you havent missed a single opportunity...great fielding

CricTiger
May 27, 2007, 06:49 PM
After winning the toss courage to choose not to Bat
Spreading the fielding such a way so that opponents can score 100s when they are on 99 or not in good forms-courage man this is called courage<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://banglacricket.com/alochona/<o:p></o:p>
Not to score as a captain still keep smiling whenever gets a chance <o:p></o:p>
Oh! My mistakes you were talking about Positives –were there any?? Sure you already identified all of them. So cheers buddy, keep posting after each series I will second you <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Kabir
May 27, 2007, 07:02 PM

Bhai re...2nd test e Kartik er dropped catch ta ki roshogolla chilo naki?

CricTiger
May 27, 2007, 07:05 PM
Bhai re...2nd test e Kartik er dropped catch ta ki roshogolla chilo naki?

Chilo, kinto dharer anumati ki chilo !!!

Haradhon
May 27, 2007, 11:10 PM
Another gain is that whoever replaces Bashar in the ODI squad would strengthen it, be it Tushar or Farhad Reza

jabbar
May 27, 2007, 11:14 PM
No silly points there, SillyPoint :)

CricTiger
May 27, 2007, 11:56 PM
Another +ve point is we identified one bad umpire from Aus

CricIndia
May 28, 2007, 01:18 AM
"I know it is hard to find any positives from the humiliating defeat in this BD-India Test series. But there are some achievements to be thankful for."

I have lurked on this forum for a long time and this is my first, and possibly, last post here.

Are there any positives for Bangladesh from the hammering they took in the second test? I doubt it.

For one thing their bowling attack is toothless. With Mortaza spending most of his time trying to ping batsmen on their helmets and Rafique struggling to get out of his ODI-style tight bowling mentality, none of the bowlers looked like getting a wicket after lunch on Day 1. Sure, Rasel produced the occasional good ball, but that was not enough. In fact only Sharif seemed to be using his head while bowling on the second afternoon bowling yorker-length stuff to Dhoni when India were looking for quick runs. Even in that phase, Mortaza dished out short stuff off which Dhoni helped himself to at least one four. In the final analysis it was probably an overly aggressive but somewhat ill-directed bowling effort from Mortaza.

As for the batting it is quite obvious that despite all the brave talk, there are still too many technical deficiencies. Of them all, Shakib appears to be the only one who is able to achieve a blend of aggression, defence and technique which is required while all of the rest are fairly inconsistent.

Lots of BD cricket fans will take heart from Ashraful's second innings heroics, but the fact remains that if he had been playing for a country like India, he would have been out of the national side ages ago - witness, for instance, the criticism that Man-of-the-Series Tendulkar is having to cop despite getting two hundreds this series. Ashraful is way too inconsistent for one supposedly so talented and if he continues in this vein even after 35 tests, one cannot see him achieving a whole lot once the additional burden of captaincy is placed upon his shoulders. In fact, I felt that batsmen like Khaled Mashud and Mohd Sharif showed more application in this test match than the entire top order managed.

Mortaza also batted well in the second innings, but when you consider that he did not deliver the goods with the ball, which is his primarily role, his batting efforts are merely a saving grace.

Much has been made of the decision by BD to bowl first on this wicket. But when you consider that BD batted fewer overs than India had done by the time the first wicket fell, it becomes obvious that the toss made no difference. It is tempting to read a lot into India's efforts and draw parallels between the two performances, but the fact of the matter is that this is the kind of result that has pretty much been par for the course for most test teams against BD - and it shows how far BD do have to go. So there is frankly no point in gloating about it, and I think Dravid said as much in the post match interviews.

I am sure that as a BD fan, it would be tempting to point to the world cup and claim what gigantic strides the team has made in the ODIs and how it needs time to do so in the tests. Such a contention would be true, but the fact remains that even in ODI cricket, BD cricket has much more to do than rest upon its Cup laurels. Players like Tamim Iqbal hold promise, but when you consider that this guy is ok with playing five or six dot balls in the hope of playing that one adrenalin-inspiring, much preferred charge down the wicket or inevitable square drive, you realise that there is much to be learnt. BD cricket also needs to realise that if someone like Tamim was a surprise at the World Cup, world cricket does not stand still.

BD cricket has a future - whether it is going to go at least as far as India who despite being on a low have come away happier from this series, or as far as Australia, is something that only the players can make happen.

PoorFan
May 28, 2007, 02:27 AM
CricIndia :

I thought the whole thread was a call for sarcasm, in case you didn't notice. Anyway welcome to BC and why consider this as a last post while it was a nice one as far as I am concern.

ammark
May 28, 2007, 02:32 AM
"I know it is hard to find any positives from the humiliating defeat in this BD-India Test series. But there are some achievements to be thankful for."

I have lurked on this forum for a long time and this is my first, and possibly, last post here.

Are there any positives for Bangladesh from the hammering they took in the second test? I doubt it.

For one thing their bowling attack is toothless. With Mortaza spending most of his time trying to ping batsmen on their helmets and Rafique struggling to get out of his ODI-style tight bowling mentality, none of the bowlers looked like getting a wicket after lunch on Day 1. Sure, Rasel produced the occasional good ball, but that was not enough. In fact only Sharif seemed to be using his head while bowling on the second afternoon bowling yorker-length stuff to Dhoni when India were looking for quick runs. Even in that phase, Mortaza dished out short stuff off which Dhoni helped himself to at least one four. In the final analysis it was probably an overly aggressive but somewhat ill-directed bowling effort from Mortaza.

As for the batting it is quite obvious that despite all the brave talk, there are still too many technical deficiencies. Of them all, Shakib appears to be the only one who is able to achieve a blend of aggression, defence and technique which is required while all of the rest are fairly inconsistent.

Lots of BD cricket fans will take heart from Ashraful's second innings heroics, but the fact remains that if he had been playing for a country like India, he would have been out of the national side ages ago - witness, for instance, the criticism that Man-of-the-Series Tendulkar is having to cop despite getting two hundreds this series. Ashraful is way too inconsistent for one supposedly so talented and if he continues in this vein even after 35 tests, one cannot see him achieving a whole lot once the additional burden of captaincy is placed upon his shoulders. In fact, I felt that batsmen like Khaled Mashud and Mohd Sharif showed more application in this test match than the entire top order managed.

Mortaza also batted well in the second innings, but when you consider that he did not deliver the goods with the ball, which is his primarily role, his batting efforts are merely a saving grace.

Much has been made of the decision by BD to bowl first on this wicket. But when you consider that BD batted fewer overs than India had done by the time the first wicket fell, it becomes obvious that the toss made no difference. It is tempting to read a lot into India's efforts and draw parallels between the two performances, but the fact of the matter is that this is the kind of result that has pretty much been par for the course for most test teams against BD - and it shows how far BD do have to go. So there is frankly no point in gloating about it, and I think Dravid said as much in the post match interviews.

I am sure that as a BD fan, it would be tempting to point to the world cup and claim what gigantic strides the team has made in the ODIs and how it needs time to do so in the tests. Such a contention would be true, but the fact remains that even in ODI cricket, BD cricket has much more to do than rest upon its Cup laurels. Players like Tamim Iqbal hold promise, but when you consider that this guy is ok with playing five or six dot balls in the hope of playing that one adrenalin-inspiring, much preferred charge down the wicket or inevitable square drive, you realise that there is much to be learnt. BD cricket also needs to realise that if someone like Tamim was a surprise at the World Cup, world cricket does not stand still.

BD cricket has a future - whether it is going to go at least as far as India who despite being on a low have come away happier from this series, or as far as Australia, is something that only the players can make happen.

Interesting perspectives... although I'd rather you have post it on a different thread, given the slightly different tone of this one. I dont wholly agree with you, but many issues you have brought up are genuinely open for pondering. Will genuinely like to see some educated arguments in critiquing/agreeing with your point of view before some ppl here start calling you a blind indian fan with no appreciation for BD cricket, etc.

syzygy
May 28, 2007, 02:44 AM
yea only mortaza and ashraful are somewhat good players but lack consistency.rest might not even make it to a ranji side and their captain habla is a moron in the name of cricket, he wont even make it for a team like bermuda. anyway this series was fun but too bad that rain stopped us from getting a complete whitewash.neeway i think i have spent enough time here, see u again sometime when india plays bd. that time there wont be any mercy and as ravi said we wont take any prisoners ;)..and finally good luck to BD for the sri lanka series (and any other team except india;) )..ciao :wave: .

james007
May 28, 2007, 03:06 AM
I will say its hard for young players to be consistent, most of players become consistent when they are 25+. Great players were dashing in early 20s but weren't consistent. For example that u can see latest is Yuvraj. He had avg around 28 not so long ago. But now it is improved to 35 since he has experience and became more consistent player. So its not fair to Mortoza and Arshful to score 50s or take many wickets in each match. Since they are very young and consistency will come with experience. Give them 3 years, you will see consistency. alrthough dashing will be less. but consistecy will be there/

James007

zahid
May 28, 2007, 08:11 AM
Cricindia agrees with me that Sharif bowled better than Mashrafe :)

IanW
May 28, 2007, 08:30 AM
No positives ?

Yes, bowling on a flat track against very good batsmen is hard, and medium pace swing bowlers and slow left armers need some assistance from the conditions to be dangerous (shall I remind you of some of the historic subcontinental attacks, and the scores racked up against them ?).

In such conditions, you need old bowlers who have learned by hard experience how to manufacture wickets. Apart from Rafique, 'old' is not a term one can associate with the Tigers attack.

Yes, Shahadat is a neccessary part of the Bangladesh fast bowling attack, and the side does not have the depth to replace him.

But Saquibal Hasan's bowling figures were quite acceptable given the conditions, andthe match showed he does have the potential to score useful runs in test cricket - I will be brutally honest, and had no idea of who he was before the world cup, but I think he could be a useful fifth bowler and a useful sixth batsman, allowing either three quicks or three spinners to be played depending on conditions.

This was a tough match for the Tigers, and for Tiger fans. But this is Test cricket. It is meant to be hard.

And, finally, it would have been polite to mention somewhere the fact that Bangladesh took India from 4-321 to 387 all out in the first innings of the First Test, and took them to 6-100 in the second.

Do not forget those performances, as they should turn terms like 'toothless' into ashes in your mouth.

Ian Whitchurch

Warlock
May 28, 2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks Ian for another contstructive comment.

GoldenAsif
May 28, 2007, 10:24 AM
I believe Mashrafee's improvement is very important for BD.

Sometimes great teams have a key focal point which the team rallies around and derives their strengthy from.

1. Mashrafee has grit and determination.

2. Physically he has a strong presence including his height.

3. He has a friendly personality and is not egotistical.

I believe in the future he can make a very good captain and lead by example and spur the tigers to greater success. ;)

BonBon
May 28, 2007, 11:31 AM
stupid people look gains from losses after 39 of them. No gain, unless you show indication of learning. worst thread..coming again and again of this type

Sohel
May 28, 2007, 12:06 PM

the coolest way to put it bro.. if he's aftab, you're alok... at point.

Sohel
May 28, 2007, 12:10 PM
No positives ?

Yes, bowling on a flat track against very good batsmen is hard, and medium pace swing bowlers and slow left armers need some assistance from the conditions to be dangerous (shall I remind you of some of the historic subcontinental attacks, and the scores racked up against them ?).

In such conditions, you need old bowlers who have learned by hard experience how to manufacture wickets. Apart from Rafique, 'old' is not a term one can associate with the Tigers attack.

Yes, Shahadat is a neccessary part of the Bangladesh fast bowling attack, and the side does not have the depth to replace him.

But Saquibal Hasan's bowling figures were quite acceptable given the conditions, andthe match showed he does have the potential to score useful runs in test cricket - I will be brutally honest, and had no idea of who he was before the world cup, but I think he could be a useful fifth bowler and a useful sixth batsman, allowing either three quicks or three spinners to be played depending on conditions.

This was a tough match for the Tigers, and for Tiger fans. But this is Test cricket. It is meant to be hard.

And, finally, it would have been polite to mention somewhere the fact that Bangladesh took India from 4-321 to 387 all out in the first innings of the First Test, and took them to 6-100 in the second.

Do not forget those performances, as they should turn terms like 'toothless' into ashes in your mouth.

Ian Whitchurch

thoughtful as always... thanks bro. :)

Sohel
May 28, 2007, 12:12 PM
CricIndia: post more. lurke no more... bro

Sohel
May 28, 2007, 12:13 PM
I believe Mashrafee's improvement is very important for BD.

Sometimes great teams have a key focal point which the team rallies around and derives their strengthy from.

1. Mashrafee has grit and determination.

2. Physically he has a strong presence including his height.

3. He has a friendly personality and is not egotistical.

I believe in the future he can make a very good captain and lead by example and spur the tigers to greater success. ;)

we need a few more mashes and NO bashes... ;)

Sillypoint
May 28, 2007, 01:05 PM
stupid people look gains from losses after 39 of them. No gain, unless you show indication of learning. worst thread..coming again and again of this type

Can't agree...well the glass is either half full or half empty, depends on how you look at it.