PDA

View Full Version : World Cricket League Division 3

Xavier
May 28, 2007, 04:13 PM
World Cricket League Division 3 is been played in these days in Darwin, Australia.
The finalists of the tournament will qualify for WCL Division 2 to be played in november in Windhoek, Namibia.
The Usa have been excluded by the ICC and Argentina has been called in their place.

These are the results so far:

Italy: 175/9
Argentina: 174 all out
Italy win by 1 run

Tanzania: 206/6
Cayman Islands: 210/0 (Gordon 104 not out, Hall 100 not out)
Cayman Islands win by 10 wickets

Uganda: 219/5 (Olweyni 60)
Hong Kong: 129 all out (Olweyni 3/15, Waiswa 3/18)
Uganda win by 91 runs

Fiji: 135 all out
Papua New Guinea: 142/9
PNG win by 1 wicket

Group A
Papua New Guinea: 91 all out (MacDermott 4/22)
Argentina: 92/5 (Forrester 44 not out)
Argentina win by five wickets

Italy: 186/9
Fiji: 149 all out
Italy win by 37 runs

Group B
Tanzania: 64 all out
Uganda: 70/6 (Mwita 4/23)
Uganda win by four wickets

Hong Kong: 67 all out (Hinds 4/22)
Cayman Islands: 70/2
Cayman Islands win by 8 wickets

Group A
Italy 4 points
Argentina 2 p.
PNG 2 p.
Fiji 0 p.

Group B
Cayman 4 p.
Uganda 4 p.
Tanzania 0 p.
Hong Kong 0 p.

This is the complicated WCL system to the World Cup 2011:
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2014/75588ud6.th.jpg (http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=75588ud6.jpg)

Sohel
May 28, 2007, 06:43 PM
scary.

Hatebreed
May 28, 2007, 07:13 PM
I didn't even know most of these countries played cricket. Well done Italy.

So why did USA get excluded?

cleazer
May 28, 2007, 07:55 PM
Italy got real lucky to beat Argentina.
Argentina lost their final four wickets for something like three runs.

No surprise that Uganda is doing well. They were the favorites coming into this tournament.

But the Cayman Islands look awesome. I didn't think they'd do this well, but it now appears that they have a realistic shot at advancing to Division 2.

cleazer
May 28, 2007, 08:01 PM
So why did USA get excluded?USACA couldn't agree on a constitution. The leader of USACA is at odds with many of the members, and they disagree about everything. Including team selection.

The US would have been favored to win this tournament, and in fact, they were supposed to host it!!!!!
But the ICC got tired of all the shenanigans at USACA and has suspended them until they can get their act together. (And agree on a unified plan to advance cricket in the US.)

So they traded places with Argentina, so they're due to take Argentina's place in Division 5 next year. (If the US gets reinstated by the ICC.)

Argentina is doing very good considering that they were originally supposed to play in Division 5 instead of Division 3.

The leader of the West Indies cricket board has been called in to settle the dispute between the various sides in the US. Hopefully he can help, so cricket can get back on track up here.

Hatebreed
May 28, 2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the info, I think I've read about it on CI. I see that's why ICC took this step.

AsifTheManRahman
May 28, 2007, 10:05 PM
Fiji: 135 all out
Papua New Guinea: 142/9
PNG win by 1 wicket

Six off a no ball after scores were level? In that case, shouldn't PNG have been 136/9, seeing that the no ball happened before the sixer?

Farhad
May 28, 2007, 10:43 PM
Six off a no ball after scores were level? In that case, shouldn't PNG have been 136/9, seeing that the no ball happened before the sixer?

I think I read a rule that states that the ball actually has to stop somewhere for it to be called a legal delivery. The noball isnt given straight away because a player could still get run out after the ball is bowled...Just my two cents.

Farhad
May 28, 2007, 10:43 PM
Btw, GO ITALY!

Miraz
May 29, 2007, 07:06 AM
Congratulations Italy and Xavier for the win. WOW!! 1 run victory from the verge of defeat. :)

From Cricketworld

Italy And Papua New Guinea Record Heart-Stopping Victories

29 May 2007
http://www.cricketworld.com/assets/images/articles/37465_REUA_390222.jpg (http://www.cricketworld.com/icc/article/?aid=11544&i=10226)
Italy And Papua New Guinea Record Heart-Stopping Victories

Cayman Islands’ openers Steve Gordon and Ainsley Hall slam unbeaten centuries

Italy came back from the jaws of defeat to record a heart-stopping one-run victory over Argentina and Papua New Guinea (PNG) notched up a one-wicket win over Fiji to give ICC World Cricket League Division 3 a sensational start in Darwin, Australia, on Sunday.

Italy looked down and out when Argentina, chasing 176 for victory, reached 159 for five. But Italy grabbed five wickets for 15 runs, including last four wickets for three runs, as Argentina were bowled out for 174.

For Italy, medium-pacer Din Alaud was the most successful bowler claiming three wickets for 29 runs while Troy Crosland bagged two wickets for 15 runs.

Donald Forrester was Argentina’s top-scorer, scoring 66 in 83 balls with six fours and a six.

In another thrilling Group A game, Christopher Amini held PNG’s innings together as it defeated Fiji by one-wicket. PNG, chasing a victory target of 139, was in dire straits when it collapsed to 105 for eight and then 125 for nine.

But Amini batted sensibly before hitting the winning boundary off the penultimate delivery. Named man of the match, he remained unbeaten on 71 and his high class 148-ball innings was studded with seven fours.

In Group B, openers Steve Gordon and Ainsley Hall stroked unbeaten centuries to steer the Cayman Islands to an easy 10-wicket victory over Tanzania.

Gordon hit a 119-ball 104 laced with 12 fours and a six and Hall faced 150 balls for his 100 with 10 fours and three sixes as the Cayman Islands achieved victory target with 26 balls to spare.

Earlier, Tanzania, put into bat, collected 206 for six with Athumani Kakonzi top scoring with a 105-ball 82. Shaheed Dhanani contributed 38. For the Cayman Islands, Ronald Ebanks snapped up three wickets for 40 runs.

An all-round performance by skipper Joel Olwenya steered Uganda to an easy 90-run victory over last year’s ACC Cup runner-up Hong Kong.

Olwenya top scored with 60 in Uganda’s 219 for five and then picked up three wickets for 15 runs as Hong Kong was dismissed for 129 in 36.5 overs.

Scores in brief:

Group A

Gardens Oval, Italy beat Argentina by one run

Italy 175/9 in 50 overs (Alessandro Bonora 32, Joe Scuderi 35, Andrea Corbellari 34, Gary Savage 2/18)

Argentina 174 in 50 overs (Donald Forrester 66, Din Alaud 3/29, Troy Crosland 2/15)

Power Park, PNG beat Fiji by one wicket

Fiji 138

PNG 142/9 in 49.5 overs (Christopher Amini 71*)

Group B

Tracy Village, Cayman Islands beat Tanzania by 10 wickets

Tanzania 206/6 in 50 overs (Athumani Kakonzi 82*, Benson Mwita 44, Shaheed Dhanani 38, Ronald Ebanks 3/40)

Cayman Islands 210/0 in 45.4 overs (Steve Gordon 104*Ainsley Hall 100*)

Kahlim Oval, Uganda beat Hong Kong by 90 runs

Uganda 219/5 in 50 overs (Joel Olwenya 60, Benjamin Musoke 48, Junior Kwebiha 39, Afzaal Haider 2/31)

Kong Kong 129 in 36.5 overs (Irfan Ahmed 34, Joel Olwenya 3/15, Charles Waiswa 3/18)

Xavier
May 29, 2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys... Italy and Argentina are having surprising results until now, and I'm glad of that because they could be the leading teams to develop cricket in Europe and Latin America! (as it also happens at rugby, a sport that IMO is very similar to cricket by culture and history).
So I hope these will be the teams that qualify to WCL Division2 (sorry Uganda and Cayman...).

Italy's main figure is Pakistan-born FM-bowler Din Alaud, but I've been surprised to see that italo-australian Joe Scuderi is still playing, though being almost aged 39!

This is a pic of Din Alaud:
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2076/rlb0877gs1.th.jpg (http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rlb0877gs1.jpg)

This is the schedule for the whole tournament:
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/series/292564.html?template=schedule

This is cricinfo introduction to the teams playing this tournament:
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/other/content/story/295674.html

cleazer
May 29, 2007, 11:38 AM
but I've been surprised to see that italo-australian Joe Scuderi is still playing, though being almost aged 39!Hong Kong has a guy from India named Rahul Sharma who is 46!!!

cleazer
May 29, 2007, 05:42 PM
Wednesday 30 May
Uganda v Cayman Islands
Hong Kong v Tanzania
Papua New Guinea v Italy
Fiji v Argentina

The big name match today is between Uganda and Cayman Islands. The winner should theoretically get an easier team from Group A to play in the all-important semifinal game. Though maybe not, considering the gigantic mess in Group A right now.

Meanwhile, the 2 Group A games both have everything to play for, with all 4 teams still alive. Looks like Argentina would be through with a win, as 4 points and their positive run rate would be enough to keep them in the top 2. Fiji could still advance with a win too, so long as they won by enough to overtake Argentina's run rate and Italy beat PNG. Argentina could actually lose and still advance, if it's a super close loss and PNG loses to Italy too. Theoretically, PNG could beat Italy and not advance, if their NRR is still behind Italy's and Argentina's.

Group A
P W T NR L Pts NRR
Italy 2 2 0 0 0 4 +0.38
Argentina 2 1 0 0 1 2 +0.26
Papua New Guinea 2 1 0 0 1 2 -0.20
Fiji 2 0 0 0 2 0 -0.41

Group B
P W T NR L Pts NRR
Cayman Islands 2 2 0 0 0 4 +2.27
Uganda 2 2 0 0 0 4 +1.75
Hong Kong 2 0 0 0 2 0 -1.36
Tanzania 2 0 0 0 2 0 -2.87

bd_fan_from_india
May 29, 2007, 10:02 PM
Looks like Argentina would be through with a win, as 4 points and their positive run rate would be enough to keep them in the top 2.

u mean italy. argentina have only 2 points & italy have 4 points with the highest NRR

cleazer
May 30, 2007, 01:36 AM
u mean italy. argentina have only 2 points & italy have 4 points with the highest NRRNo, I mean if Argentina wins, they'd have 4 points and would then be through, because their NRR would definitely be better than either Italy's or PNG's.

If Italy wins, they'll be the only undefeated team in the group and would obviously finish in first place in Group A.

israr
May 30, 2007, 04:12 AM
Congratulations Xavier! You must be a really happy man!

cleazer
May 30, 2007, 04:31 AM
Uganda v Cayman Islands
Uganda 153
Cayman Islands 127 (46.2 overs)

So Uganda wins Group B. If both teams win their semifinals tomorrow, they'll meet again for the championship.

Hong Kong v Tanzania
Hong Kong 161 (Sharma 43, Goving 3-31)
Tanzania 165-5 (47 overs)

Bit of a surprising win for Tanzania here. Though Hong Kong always seems to come up short as of late. So Hong Kong finishes at the bottom of Group B.

Papua New Guinea v Italy
Italy 134-9 (50 overs, J Brazier 3-18)
Papua New Guinea 135-2 (33.1 overs, A Uda 58)

An easy win for PNG. This is more of what was expected for them in this tournament. And as usual, Italy puts in a disappointing performance in an international competition. They were looking good for a while there, but now they won't finish in the all-important top 4.

Fiji v Argentina
Fiji 44 (21.2 overs, E Nino 4-16, G Savage 3-5, D Lord 3-16)
Argentina 46-0 (5 overs)

What a stunning win for Argentina! They've certainly been the revelation of this tournament! And now they find themselves finishing in the top 4, and being guaranteed of a place in the 2009 WCL tournament.

They don't have the NRR calculated yet, but Argentina obviously wins Group A, and PNG won by enough of a margin to take over second place from Italy.

So the vital semi-final matches will be:
Argentina v Cayman Islands
Uganda v Papua New Guinea

The winners of those two semi-finals advance to Division 2 in November, while the losers will still get a shot in the 2009 Division 3 tournament.

The bottom 4 teams, Italy, Tanzania, Hong Kong, and Fiji, will all get another shot in the 2008 Division 4 tournament (and they'll also get to play off for spots 5-8 here in Darwin). They'll have a tough time though, because they'll be playing against the winners of what now looks to be a pretty tough Division 5, featuring the USA, Nepal, Afghanistan, and others.

Xavier
May 30, 2007, 07:48 AM
End of dreams for Italy! I'm more disappointed as a cricket fan than as an italian... if Italy had reached WC qualifiers there would finally have been some interest about cricket by the media... on the other hand you can't expect the team to make better than this...
Now Cayman v Argentina will be a very interesting semifinal: Cayman beat them in the Americas Championship but the "gauchos" look much improved since then... and if they win they will complete an outstanding jump from WCL-5 to WCL-2!
Uganda should win quite easily the second semifinal on PNG.

As Cleazer said now it's tough task for Italy as they will take part to Division 4 with 2 teams qualifying from Division 5 (2 out of the Usa, Nepal and Afghanistan much probably). Hong Kong are relegated to Division 4 too, as they really look like a declining side!

rah
May 30, 2007, 08:00 AM
were we eva part of this i would of been farrrrr to young to remeba

cleazer
May 30, 2007, 12:30 PM
If you're asking if Bangladesh was ever in the WCL, then no, the World Cricket League is pretty much a brand new invention of the ICC. They announced it back in late 2005 and early 2006, as an attempt to get countries of the same level from all over the world playing against each other.

Basically, the idea was to let countries like Cayman Islands and Argentina have a chance at playing someone other than Canada, the US, or Bermuda for once, and to give teams from stronger regions (like the Americas, Europe, and Asia) a chance to qualify for the World Cup against teams from every other region.

Most of these teams will not qualify for the 2011 World Cup obviously. They'd get blown out by the likes of Ireland, Kenya, and Scotland. But it gives them a good chance to play against teams from outside their region for once, and supposedly against teams much closer to their skill level.

For example, Italy usually gets beaten in Europe when they play the likes of Ireland or Scotland, and it's tough to measure their improvement when almost none of the games are close. But giving them games against the likes of Argentina, Fiji, and Hong Kong allows them to play much more competitive matches, and develop skills that certain types of close matches can require.

cleazer
May 31, 2007, 03:03 AM
Thursday 31 May
Semi-Final: Argentina v Cayman Islands
Semi-Final: Uganda v Papua New Guinea
Plate Semi-Final: Italy v Hong Kong
Plate Semi-final: Tanzania v Fiji

Obviously the semifinals are the two big matches. The winners there advance to Division 2. I'll predict Cayman Islands and Uganda. Cayman Islands have really had Argentina's number lately, and I think they'll pick up another win over them here today.

In the 5th-8th place games, I'll go with Fiji and Hong Kong, the two last place teams. Neither of them has won yet, and I figure both are due!

bd_fan_from_india
May 31, 2007, 04:00 AM
argentina & uganda have won the semis and r through to divison 2 with uae, oman, namibia & denmark.

png & cayman islands remain in the division 3

hong kong, italy, tanzania & fiji r relegated to divison 4 where they face the top 2 teams from division 5(most likely nepal & afghanistan)

argentina have been the surprise package in this tournament and nobody even expected them to finish higher than 7th

Xavier
May 31, 2007, 07:16 AM
What a huge surprise by Argentina! Their bowling attack looks impressive with youngster Nino and southafrican Savage... with Denmark and Oman not looking that strong now both Argentina and Uganda really have a chance to reach 2009 world cup qualifiers! (as 4 teams out of six of Division 2 - to be played next november in Namibia - will be admitted to the WC qualifiers).

So these will be the 12 teams in 2009 world cup qualifiers:

Six associates who played in world cup 2007 - Kenya, Ireland, Scotland, Holland, Canada, Bermuda.

+4 teams from World League Division 2 (among UAE, Namibia, Denmark, Oman + Argentina, Uganda)

+2 teams from next World League system (I would say 2 out of Nepal, Afghanistan, USA, Italy, PNG...)

Miraz
May 31, 2007, 07:32 AM
What a huge surprise by Argentina! Their bowling attack looks impressive with youngster Nino and southafrican Savage... with Denmark and Oman not looking that strong now both Argentina and Uganda really have a chance to reach 2009 world cup qualifiers! (as 4 teams out of six of Division 2 - to be played next november in Namibia - will be admitted to the WC qualifiers).

So these will be the 12 teams in 2009 world cup qualifiers:

Six associates who played in world cup 2007 - Kenya, Ireland, Scotland, Holland, Canada, Bermuda.

+4 teams from World League Division 2 (among UAE, Namibia, Denmark, Oman + Argentina, Uganda)

+2 teams from next World League system (I would say 2 out of Nepal, Afghanistan, USA, Italy, PNG...)

Good to see cricket is expanding and weaker teams are getting competitive.

Good work by ICC.

rah
May 31, 2007, 10:24 AM
finaly the icc have managed sumfin good, teams like italy and argentina will get more exposure

cleazer
May 31, 2007, 12:02 PM
Argentina!!!

Just 2 months ago they were in Division 5, and now they've been promoted to Division 2!!!! Let's hope this helps cricket grow down there. The multiple upcoming tournaments will certainly give the players something to aim for.

Congratulations to both Argentina and Uganda!

Semi-finals
Cayman Islands 102 lost to Argentina 103-6 by 4 wickets
Papua New Guinea 203-5 lost to Uganda 204-9 by 1 wicket
Plate Semi-finals
Hong Kong 195 beat Italy 146 by 49 runs
Fiji 173 lost to Tanzania 176-7 by 3 wickets

Xavier
May 31, 2007, 12:46 PM
On cricinfo you may find all the scorecards of the tournament:
http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2007/OTHERS/WCL-DIV3/SCORECARDS/

After reducing Cayman to 102 all out (Esteban McDermott 4/20) Argentina went into trouble at 66/6 but wk Alejandro Ferguson scored 25* driving them to the final. It's interesting to notice that many argentinean players have a spanish name and english surname... there must be some english heritage.

In the 2nd semifinal Uganda were in some trouble too being at 188/9 chasing 204, but Kenneth Kamyuka scored 43* being matchwinner.

I recomend this blog to anyone interested in non-Test cricket teams:
http://caughtbehind.com/btb/

may cricket become a global game!:)

cleazer
June 1, 2007, 08:20 PM
Saturday, June 2
1st-2nd: Argentina v Uganda
3rd-4th: Cayman Islands v Papua New Guinea
5th-6th: Hong Kong v Tanzania
7th-8th: Fiji v Italy

These matches are actually somewhat anticlimactic, as the important spots in the WCL Div 2 and 2009 Div 3 have already been decided. Though it'll be interesting to see if Argentina can pull off yet another performance against the tournament favorites Uganda.

cleazer
June 1, 2007, 08:21 PM
Cricketeurope has a live scorecard for the final up HERE (http://www.cricketeurope4.net/LIVE/1/live.shtml).

Uganda batting first and they're 29-2 after 12 overs.

Look like some more economical bowling from Argentina.

cleazer
June 1, 2007, 09:32 PM
Uganda is 79-7 after 27.2 overs.

Argentina's bowlers are getting the job done yet again.
Take a look at the BOWLING AVERAGES (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/best_career_bowling_average.html?id=3174;type=tour nament) for this tournament. Argentina has 4 bowlers in the top 11, including the top 2. And they're doing it again today. Whatever they've done to improve over the past year has really worked. Hopefully they'll be able to bowl this well at the Division 2 tournament in November.

Farhad
June 1, 2007, 09:38 PM
Looks like Argentina just might win this win...

Farhad
June 1, 2007, 09:39 PM
Theyre up to 100 for 3 now. Thanks for the link Cleazer...

cleazer
June 1, 2007, 10:20 PM
Frank Nsubuga is single-handedly rescuing Uganda!
He's got one of the highest strike rates in the tournament,
so I guess he just likes to swing his bat.

He's up to 50 runs from just 33 deliveries.
Uganda 151-7 from 38.4

cleazer
June 1, 2007, 11:08 PM
Wow, the #9 and 10 batsmen really came through for Uganda, with Nsubuga scoring 55 and Ochan scoring 56 not out at the very end.

Uganda finished their 50 overs at 241-8

There sure was a mighty shift in momentum in this match!
I'd be surprised if Argentina can recover from this.

cleazer
June 2, 2007, 01:32 AM
Argentina is 60-4 after 25 overs.
The required rate is more than 7 runs per over.
Looks like Uganda has this one wrapped up.

Xavier
June 2, 2007, 06:33 AM
Argentina are dismissed for 150 (46.3 ov.)... quite a weird innings for them as they were 59/4, then recovered to 140/5 and finally collapsed to 150!:-/

Uganda win the match after an amazing recovery from 79/7 to 241/8!

Here is the scorecard from the Cricket Europe site:
http://www.cricketeurope4.net/LIVE/1/live.shtml

Now both teams will be playing world cricket league Division 2 next november in Windhoek with Namibia, UAE, Denmark and Oman. Four out of these six teams will be admitted to 2009 world cup qualifiers so I would say both Uganda and Argentina really have a golden chance to reach that stage!

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 10:34 AM
I just did some research on Argentina,and Their cricket culture is much older than ours,they played it even at 1800,and there is an annual match between north and south.

Xavier
June 2, 2007, 10:53 AM
I just did some research on Argentina,and Their cricket culture is much older than ours,they played it even at 1800,and there is an annual match between north and south.

The problem for them was always lack of funds for development, but I read that now ICC is helping them and we see the results!

Argentina are currently n.6 in rugby world ranking (above England!), a sport that, as I wrote before, is very similar to cricket for its tradition... and it's played almost in the same countries (apart from Asia...). So if they keep on having some support by the ICC they could keep on growing and be the leaders to the diffusion of cricket in Latin America!

bd_fan_from_india
June 2, 2007, 10:55 PM
argentina had a golden era about 90-100 years ago in their cricket having FC status and many players playing in english county cricket, but after the world wars, cricket in argentina died. with their showing in the wcl div 3, it looks like coming back on track again. they do have a outside chance to qualify for wc 2011 now that they r in div 2. will be interesting to c if a cricket wc qualification for argentina eventually helps cricket replace football as the no.1 sport in argentina. cricket wc qualifcation has done the same in bangladesh before, we can hope it happens in argentina also

Xavier
June 3, 2007, 08:11 AM
Now you are pushing things too far... cricket could become quite popular in big football countries but there is no chance it could ever become no.1 sport there because there is so much passion and tradition about football!

damalChele
June 3, 2007, 02:55 PM
USACA couldn't agree on a constitution. The leader of USACA is at odds with many of the members, and they disagree about everything. Including team selection.

The US would have been favored to win this tournament, and in fact, they were supposed to host it!!!!!
But the ICC got tired of all the shenanigans at USACA and has suspended them until they can get their act together. (And agree on a unified plan to advance cricket in the US.)

So they traded places with Argentina, so they're due to take Argentina's place in Division 5 next year. (If the US gets reinstated by the ICC.)

Argentina is doing very good considering that they were originally supposed to play in Division 5 instead of Division 3.

The leader of the West Indies cricket board has been called in to settle the dispute between the various sides in the US. Hopefully he can help, so cricket can get back on track up here.

No surprises there. I think few years ago they asked FIFA to change some rules of football. Instead of throw they asked to have a free-kick. I really don't know how much of it was true. But the bottom line is they always disagree with the rest of the world on anything and everything anyway. Freakin ignorants.

They might even rename cricket and will soon start it's own WC tournament with their own set of rules and probably invite china or mexico and win it. USA the World champions of whatever-they-rename-it-to, just like what they did with baseball.

Protic
June 3, 2007, 03:01 PM
I want argentina and italy in the cricket worldcup
:D so many colorful fans.. lol
And sohel bruv.. i agree with u in sum extent.
"SCARY"

Xavier
June 3, 2007, 03:51 PM
lol... what's "scary"?:confused:

bd_fan_from_india
June 3, 2007, 11:58 PM
Now you are pushing things too far... cricket could become quite popular in big football countries but there is no chance it could ever become no.1 sport there because there is so much passion and tradition about football!

i am not pushing things too far. bangladesh used to be a football crazy nation earlier, but cricketing successes of bangladesh halped cricket replace football as the no.1 sport in bangladesh. even in nepal, due to their u-19 successes like beating sa & nz to lift the plate helped cricket replace football as the no.1 sport. it now going to happen in argentina as well with cricket replacing football as the no.1 sport. i do not c any reason y it cant happen in argentina. i do hope argentina qualifies for the 2011 wc and it could help teams like brazil, chile, peru, etc take cricket. say 20 years from now we might have a brazil v argentina odi match in cricket. if those matches get interesting, we might have cricket replace football as the no.1 sport in even brazil in future. south america does need a cricket crazy nation. guyana is the only cricketing nation in south america and it is a part of west indies.

cleazer
June 4, 2007, 02:33 AM
will be interesting to c if a cricket wc qualification for argentina eventually helps cricket replace football as the no.1 sport in argentina. Comedy gold.
Do you have any idea how popular football is in Argentina?
How passionate the fans of Boca and River are?
It is part of the culture. It is entrenched in the landscape.
Argentina is football.

cleazer
June 4, 2007, 02:35 AM
i am not pushing things too far. bangladesh used to be a football crazy nation earlier, but cricketing successes of bangladesh halped cricket replace football as the no.1 sport in bangladesh.How can anyone compare football in Bangladesh/Nepal/India to football in Argentina?
Seriously, that's just ridiculous.

bd_fan_from_india
June 6, 2007, 01:16 PM
i cant understand what was so ridiculous in that comparison. i was only comparing 2 non-test playing nations in cricket. i was saying that if cricketing successes could make cricket the no.1 sport replacing football in nepal(a non-test playing nation as of now), then so can cricket become the no.1 sport replacing football in argentina(another non-test playing nation).

indfan82
June 7, 2007, 01:38 AM
i cant understand what was so ridiculous in that comparison. i was only comparing 2 non-test playing nations in cricket. i was saying that if cricketing successes could make cricket the no.1 sport replacing football in nepal(a non-test playing nation as of now), then so can cricket become the no.1 sport replacing football in argentina(another non-test playing nation).
football is to argetntina what cricket is to india and pakistan or even more and cricket in argetina is similar to football in india or even less. now tell me do u seriosuly think cricket can replace football as number one sport or football replacing cricket as number one sport . even if it flourishes as sport in argetina which i find hardly likely it wont dislodge football as number one sport similar is the case with football in india..... sorry but thats the truth

Nafi
June 7, 2007, 05:08 AM
Im agreed with Indfan, dislodging football from the no.1 spot is impossible, but that is not needed for cricket to become popular to argentina.

Carte Blanche
June 7, 2007, 05:12 AM
football is to argetntina what cricket is to india and pakistan or even more and cricket in argetina is similar to football in india or even less. now tell me do u seriosuly think cricket can replace football as number one sport or football replacing cricket as number one sport . even if it flourishes as sport in argetina which i find hardly likely it wont dislodge football as number one sport similar is the case with football in india..... sorry but thats the truth

You were being too generous. Cricket will be lucky if it's 25% as recognized (let alone popular) as table tennis, let alone soccer. Cricket is to Argentina as Polo is to Bangladesh.

indfan82
June 7, 2007, 01:17 PM
You were being too generous. Cricket will be lucky if it's 25% as recognized (let alone popular) as table tennis, let alone soccer. Cricket is to Argentina as Polo is to Bangladesh.

yea true ... how popular is polo in bangladesh ;)

indfan82
June 7, 2007, 01:27 PM
Cricket will be lucky if it's 25% as recognized (let alone popular) as table tennis, let alone soccer. Cricket is to Argentina as Polo is to Bangladesh.
thats where aim sort of annoyed with the globalisation of cricket thing why try to popularise the sport where there is no hope genearting an evn decetn interest in the sport ..ireland scotland is fine..if these countries up their level in the next 4yrs it might just enough genreate curiosity or ineterest.. the only hope for cricket to grow is the commonwealth countries ..african side indian subcontinent couple of european countries ..thats it

Xavier
June 7, 2007, 02:16 PM
I found on youtube a funny video about an argentinean talk-show where Argentina's team captain Esteban McDermott and bowler Hernan Pereyra try to explain what cricket is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6FPlSku-CE
...the result is hilarious!

israr
June 8, 2007, 06:54 AM
Whatsoever, we should be happy enough that cricket is the 2nd most popular sport in the world after football. If you want proof, check it out on Wikipedia. I even inaugurated a thread relating to this subject, but that was some time back.

indfan82
June 8, 2007, 07:02 AM
Whatsoever, we should be happy enough that cricket is the 2nd most popular sport in the world after football. If you want proof, check it out on Wikipedia. I even inaugurated a thread relating to this subject, but that was some time back. Iam not so sure about that majorly played in just about 10 countries and still the 2nd most popular sport.....hmmmm no too sure abt that i thought it wud be tennis or rugby

israr
June 8, 2007, 10:09 AM
Iam not so sure about that majorly played in just about 10 countries and still the 2nd most popular sport.....hmmmm no too sure abt that i thought it wud be tennis or rugby

Tennis or rugby is far behind cricket. Seriously speaking, the fans from the 10 test playing countries think that besides them, no one even knows the word 'cricket', but actually thats a myth. I was shocked to know that several of my friends from Tanzania, Iran, Sudan, and even from UAE prferred to watch cricket after football. One of my friends from Sudan became so addicted, he started playing test matches on cricket 2005 on pc. Its unfortunate the way cricket is presented in the media of worldwide sports, but even after this factor, more people are turning to cricket than any other sport. Myanmar is a good example as I saw a recent report on how their youngsters spend their pastime playing cricket, which is becoming a close second to their national sport of archery.

indfan82
June 8, 2007, 10:42 AM
Tennis or rugby is far behind cricket. Seriously speaking, the fans from the 10 test playing countries think that besides them, no one even knows the word 'cricket', but actually thats a myth. I was shocked to know that several of my friends from Tanzania, Iran, Sudan, and even from UAE prferred to watch cricket after football. One of my friends from Sudan became so addicted, he started playing test matches on cricket 2005 on pc. Its unfortunate the way cricket is presented in the media of worldwide sports, but even after this factor, more people are turning to cricket than any other sport. Myanmar is a good example as I saw a recent report on how their youngsters spend their pastime playing cricket, which is becoming a close second to their national sport of archery.
how much of the sport is followed by majority of th public in the nation in this case sudan uae or tanzania is it as popularly followed as soccer that is the question as these arethe nations which also follow soccer very much. even if half the public following soccer in this nations are following cricket i would agree to the argument that it is as popular again most of the people who follow cricket in these nations are expats are a minority and very few actual local (I don think tennis or rugby will be popular in this nations though).I am assuming this is is the case as well with sudan uae and iran though less with tanzania.:confused:

Xavier
June 8, 2007, 12:11 PM
The discussion about "what's the most popular sport in the world?" is quite interesting... I would say cricket is the second, but it could be basketball as well, as it is the first sport in few countries, but quite popular in many more.
On the other hand cricket popularity is quite weird... it's by far the first sport in some countries, but it's totally ignored in many others... I'm sure that 90% of european citizens who are interested in sport know about any sport played in the world (including the so-called "american sport") but still don't know what cricket is... this is a big limit to the development of this sport!

Xavier
June 8, 2007, 12:14 PM
btw this is wikipedia page on this argument:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_sport
quite detailed but still disputed!

indfan82
June 8, 2007, 12:30 PM
The discussion about "what's the most popular sport in the world?" is quite interesting... I would say cricket is the second, but it could be basketball as well, as it is the first sport in few countries, but quite popular in many more.
On the other hand cricket popularity is quite weird... it's by far the first sport in some countries, but it's totally ignored in many others... I'm sure that 90% of european citizens who are interested in sport know about any sport played in the world (including the so-called "american sport") but still don't know what cricket is... this is a big limit to the development of this sport!
exactly dunno ....but as far as basketball it is first sport only in usa as far as i know as popular in japan china westindies and couple of european countries

Xavier
June 8, 2007, 12:35 PM
Basketball is very popular in most of Europe, though well behind football, and I know it's quite popular in most of Latin America too... though cricket is almost ignored... that's what makes me think that basketball could be the second (though I really dislike it).

Other popular sports in the world are volleyball, rugby, tennis, athletics, motor sports... cycling is very popular in some european countries too!

israr
June 8, 2007, 12:54 PM
how much of the sport is followed by majority of th public in the nation in this case sudan uae or tanzania is it as popularly followed as soccer that is the question as these arethe nations which also follow soccer very much. even if half the public following soccer in this nations are following cricket i would agree to the argument that it is as popular again most of the people who follow cricket in these nations are expats are a minority and very few actual local (I don think tennis or rugby will be popular in this nations though).I am assuming this is is the case as well with sudan uae and iran though less with tanzania.:confused:

No my friend, its not the case you are assuming. More locals of those countries are getting interested in this game and starting to play cricket, but yes, if there is a large expat population in a non-test playing country which follows cricket in particular, then the frequency of the locals developing a liking for the game increases. Since I live in UAE, I can tell you 20% of the locals here are acquainted with the game quite well, and the fans of this game are increasing at a more faster rate, as there is a vast majority of subcontinental people residing here. In addition, the large proportion of population of other nationalities such as Iranians, Tanzanians, Yemeni living here watch cricket instead of tennis or rugby, or any other major sport. Though I can't gurantee that 50% of those above mentioned countries know about cricket, but yes, unequivocally, cricket is more popular than tennis, rugby, baseball, etc. The thing is in these countries, football is by far the most popular sport. And then after football, there is a gulf of a difference in the popularity of other sports, but cricket occupies the second place rather than some other major sports. The best example is the Asia women vs Africa women match which happened just a few days back, where there were a few Ugandan players of origin! A country which hasn't even qualified for a single world cup, that country has already got a bunch of female players and an U-19 team comprising mostly of locals, which goes on to show the progress of cricket's popularity in different corners of the world! It was quite stunning when, after Bangladesh defeated South Africa, the next morning I was greeted by my Arab comrades conveying congratulatory messages to me. At one point, I thought, whether Bangladesh defeated UAE in a football match, but no, the fact was that cricket was slowly emerging as the second global sport just after football, albiet with considerable difference in popularity between the two sports.

bd_fan_from_india
June 8, 2007, 01:10 PM
btw this is wikipedia page on this argument:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_sport
quite detailed but still disputed!

i dont think there was anything to dispute in that list. the 6 sub-continent teams(ind,pak,sl,bd + nep & afg), constituent islands of west indies, australia, uae, bermuda & cayman islands have cricket as the most popular sport. the strength of the u-19 teams in all countries is directly proportional to the cricketing popularity in the countries and its no surprise that at u-19 level, india, pakistan & bangladesh r the top 3 teams with australia, sri lanka, west indies & nepal being decent teams and england & new zealand being very weak at u-19 level.

also, bermuda & cayman islands should join the west indies as the small population in those countries could prevent them from getting test status in future.

in african countries like kenya, namibia, uganda cricket came as the 2nd popular sport which is not surprising and this shows if the icc has to globalize the game besides ireland & scotland, it can do so in the african non-test teams like kenya, namibia, uganda, tanzania & the asian non-test teams like uae, nepal, afghanistan as cricket is the most popular or the 2nd most popular sport in these countires. it is ridiculous that so much effort is being put into places where 99% of the people dont even know what cricket is. the future test-playing nations r going to come from these countries.

indfan82
June 8, 2007, 01:23 PM
No my friend, its not the case you are assuming. More locals of those countries are getting interested in this game and starting to play cricket, but yes, if there is a large expat population in a non-test playing country which follows cricket in particular, then the frequency of the locals developing a liking for the game increases. Since I live in UAE, I can tell you 20% of the locals here are acquainted with the game quite well, and the fans of this game are increasing at a more faster rate, as there is a vast majority of subcontinental people residing here. In addition, the large proportion of population of other nationalities such as Iranians, Tanzanians, Yemeni living here watch cricket instead of tennis or rugby, or any other major sport. Though I can't gurantee that 50% of those above mentioned countries know about cricket, but yes, unequivocally, cricket is more popular than tennis, rugby, baseball, etc. The thing is in these countries, football is by far the most popular sport. And then after football, there is a gulf of a difference in the popularity of other sports, but cricket occupies the second place rather than some other major sports. The best example is the Asia women vs Africa women match which happened just a few days back, where there were a few Ugandan players of origin! A country which hasn't even qualified for a single world cup, that country has already got a bunch of female players and an U-19 team comprising mostly of locals, which goes on to show the progress of cricket's popularity in different corners of the world! It was quite stunning when, after Bangladesh defeated South Africa, the next morning I was greeted by my Arab comrades conveying congratulatory messages to me. At one point, I thought, whether Bangladesh defeated UAE in a football match, but no, the fact was that cricket was slowly emerging as the second global sport just after football, albiet with considerable difference in popularity between the two sports.truly nice to hear that

Shafin
June 8, 2007, 02:25 PM
i dont think there was anything to dispute in that list. the 6 sub-continent teams(ind,pak,sl,bd + nep & afg), constituent islands of west indies, australia, uae, bermuda & cayman islands have cricket as the most popular sport. the strength of the u-19 teams in all countries is directly proportional to the cricketing popularity in the countries and its no surprise that at u-19 level, india, pakistan & bangladesh r the top 3 teams with australia, sri lanka, west indies & nepal being decent teams and england & new zealand being very weak at u-19 level.

also, bermuda & cayman islands should join the west indies as the small population in those countries could prevent them from getting test status in future.

in african countries like kenya, namibia, uganda cricket came as the 2nd popular sport which is not surprising and this shows if the icc has to globalize the game besides ireland & scotland, it can do so in the african non-test teams like kenya, namibia, uganda, tanzania & the asian non-test teams like uae, nepal, afghanistan as cricket is the most popular or the 2nd most popular sport in these countires. it is ridiculous that so much effort is being put into places where 99% of the people dont even know what cricket is. the future test-playing nations r going to come from these countries.
Well put.