PDA

View Full Version : Unique Instances & Food For Thought

DJ Sahastra
May 28, 2007, 11:25 PM
We now know for sure that Ashraful's half-century is the fastest in terms of time taken (I just finished watching the highlights - Damn, he seems to have a good female-fan following - Lucky guy! )

What about the following instances?

1. I know of batsman scoring ducks in both innings of the Test. But what about Javed Omar's first ball duck in both the innings. Is it a unique instance or has it happened before?

2. If i remember right, the combined score of BD team 118+273 = 391 is less than the score that India lost it's first wicket (around 400) in the only inning that it played. Wondering if this is a unique instance though not too sure given that teams in past have been bundled for around 100 runs in both the innings combined.

Now, as a food for thought, here is an interesting bit of my own statistics :)

In the second inning of the second Test, Shakib & Sharif combined to score 32 runs off 20 overs. Leave their scores out (and the overs consumed) and BD team has scored 231 off 37.3 overs. That translates to a run-rate of 6.2! Anyone tempted to rewind to Test-1 where 253 was needed off 43 ;)

Guys, the above stat is gonna be quoted umpteen times on this forum, so i wanna hold the copyright :D

Nafis_BD
May 28, 2007, 11:32 PM
Nice observation DJ bhaiya!!

tiger_omar
May 29, 2007, 12:53 AM
Very interesting observation... But what it fails to mention is that Bangladesh were constantly losing wickets in the 2nd innings on the 2nd test. So if we went for the win in the first test by playing the way we did in the 2nd test, we might have lost that match. But you still make a good point though. And goodluck with your copyright :-p

DJ Sahastra
May 29, 2007, 01:03 AM
tiger_omar,

You only needed 250. You made more than that despite constantly losing wickets :).

I am not saying it would've all been the same and BD would've won. Just a food for thought.

sunny747
May 29, 2007, 01:49 AM
pitch wasn't the same as it was in Dhaka........ctg pitch was very different.......

Warlock
May 29, 2007, 05:43 AM
BDs negative approach in the first test was probably a major cause of their abysmal performance in the second. It gave an idea about the mindset of the team. They didn't have the courage to go for the win in the first match although it was 50% possible in my opinion. When you play so many tests and have only won one- you should go for the win even if there is a slightest chance because if you lose that won't make a difference so why worry about that.

My analysis is- Bashar's horrible form had a "bigger than we thought" impact on the whole team. After all we were looking at him for getting us a good start. But he was busy in his mind thinking how to cling to the captains "godi (chair)" so no wonder he didn't have enough time to prepare his mind for the match. Besides, our beloved coach Dav was so eager to jump over to the opposition team as their coach no wonder that didn't send a lot of positive signals either.

Bangladesh's biggest mistake was to keep Dav as the coach for this series and also for not forcing Bashar to relinquish his ODI position before the tests started. In that way- they could ensure we didn't have to play with a coach whose mind was elsewhere and also by making Habibul retire from the ODIs before the tests- they could ensure he would play with peace in his mind.

Baundule
May 29, 2007, 06:37 AM
Good observation DJ.

Warlock said it all. Actually after the first 15 overs, we were in a very good position to go for those 175 runs. But I don't understand, what happened suddenly. Golla and Bashar slowed down the progress and after HaBa's out they shut the door of any hope by sending Rajin.

It was a very good chance, especially after such a terrific start. And we spilled everything away. We suffered badly for endless stupidities in the planning. And I know, it will continue. :(

6alltheway
May 29, 2007, 07:26 AM
Agree with warlock.

our gutless performance in the first test accounted for the lame performance in the 2nd test.

Basher is no longer captain and Dev is gone, time to revamp and move on.

We should make Mushrafi captain coz he is the only one that deserves it.

Warlock
May 29, 2007, 09:40 AM
6alltheway- I believe Mashrafe will get the captaincy one day. But I don't think it is the right time for him.

Let me explain why I think so-

Mash is the only decent fast bowler in our side. There is enormous pressure on him. This guy has a lion's heart (or should I say- a heart of a true tiger) so he won't let us show the pressure he has to endure. Instead he will go out in the field and give his 100% each and every time. Just look at his batting and compare it to the pathetic display of our beloved captain Habibul and other front line batters. In fact, Mashrafes batting prowess might cause another problem. A lot of people here are talking about Irfan Pathan and how his good batting form destroyed his bowling form. So for the time being I won't ask Mashri to concnetrate too much on his batting. But I also think he is ready for the challage to become a true allrounder. And we don't need to look far to find some great examples like that- look at Pakistan and India, they have produced allrounders like Imran and Kapil. I have firm belief that one day Mashri will become the Imran/ kapil of BD. Having said that, we need to give him some time to discover his true potential. One thing we must not do is to put extra load on his already burdened shoulders. He is a brave guy and he is hero- one day he will be big enough to embrace all the pressure and all the things you can throw at him, so may be that day we will ask him to take the captaincy.

Another point is, I think Ashraful is now in his prime for assuming the post of the skipper. He is motivated and he is enjoying a good batting form. He will also enjoy the support of the team members if he becomes the captain. Ashraful is also showing his leading skills in the fielding placements and judgement when he was doing the job as the "acting captain" as Habibul was out of the field. So I think it is the right time to give Ash the captaincy and I also believe he is the right man for the post now.

But I also believe mash will become the BD captain one day and nobody will be able to stop it. But we have to wait until the time is ripe.

Nafi
May 29, 2007, 10:07 AM
1. I know of batsman scoring ducks in both innings of the Test. But what about Javed Omar's first ball duck in both the innings. Is it a unique instance or has it happened before?

Yeh only with the corrupt umpire's help

DJ Sahastra
May 29, 2007, 10:19 AM
Dr Naf,

JO's dismissal in the second inning was a bad decision, no doubt. It was unfortunate on part of JO.

I am only asking if it is the first instance in the Test Cricket - not trying to demean JO or anyone.

pagol-chagol
May 29, 2007, 10:39 AM
Good thoughts. The probability of that kind of flashes by both Ash and Mash is very small. Too many different variables between T1 and T2. Good dream nonetheless.

Zunaid
May 29, 2007, 11:45 AM

Anyone remember Hannan Sarker? He didn't do a golden pair but ducked out in the first innings of successive Tests versus West Indies (at Gros Islet and then at Kingston). Both LBW, both balls left alone and PLUMB.

Hatebreed
May 29, 2007, 11:55 AM
For me the food for thought is, given Ashraful and Mashrafe's quickfire innings, could we have chased the 250 runs target in the first test? Yes. We could have at least given it a shot.

Btw DJ, where did you watch Ashraful's highlights? Is there somewhere I can watch it online?

DJ Sahastra
May 29, 2007, 02:25 PM
Hatebreed,

Someone had posted a link which i used to watch Ashraful's batting.

The link was here until yesterday night so i assume it's still there. Lemem check.

SMHasan
May 29, 2007, 09:58 PM
Good thoughts. The probability of that kind of flashes by both Ash and Mash is very small. Too many different variables between T1 and T2. Good dream nonetheless.

Our whole life is a probability, isn't it? Do we know what's gonna happen next? We don't.
There are targets in life and these are there to be reached. And to do that we need to try. Sadly we did not try.

rah
May 30, 2007, 07:55 AM
We now know for sure that Ashraful's half-century is the fastest in terms of time taken (I just finished watching the highlights - Damn, he seems to have a good female-fan following - Lucky guy! )

2. If i remember right, the combined score of BD team 118+273 = 391 is less than the score that India lost it's first wicket (around 400) in the only inning that it played. Wondering if this is a unique instance though not too sure given that teams in past have been bundled for around 100 runs in both the innings combined.

In the second inning of the second Test, Shakib & Sharif combined to score 32 runs off 20 overs. Leave their scores out (and the overs consumed) and BD team has scored 231 off 37.3 overs. That translates to a run-rate of 6.2! Anyone tempted to rewind to Test-1 where 253 was needed off 43 ;)

Guys, the above stat is gonna be quoted umpteen times on this forum, so i wanna hold the copyright :D

nice observation bruv

Shafin
May 30, 2007, 10:12 AM

the problem is,our decent players didn't even get the chance in chittagong,Ash at 3 and anything could have happened.

kalpurush
May 30, 2007, 10:22 AM
Good observation DJ.

Warlock said it all. Actually after the first 15 overs, we were in a very good position to go for those 175 runs. But I don't understand, what happened suddenly. Golla and Bashar slowed down the progress and after HaBa's out they shut the door of any hope by sending Rajin.

It was a very good chance, especially after such a terrific start. And we spilled everything away. We suffered badly for endless stupidities in the planning. And I know, it will continue. :(

NO. It will not continue as Dav has gone! He is the one who was guiding Bashar. It seems to me Dav didn't want to win the 1st Test for some reason!!...Making happy the furure Boss!!!?:confused: :hairpull: :doh:

Baundule
May 30, 2007, 11:11 AM
NO. It will not continue as Dav has gone! He is the one who was guiding Bashar. It seems to me Dav didn't want to win the 1st Test for some reason!!...Making happy the furure Boss!!!?:confused: :hairpull: :doh:

kalpurush vai, apnar mukhe ful-chondon poruk :)
I also expect, we can leave those days behind. Dav must be blamed as he was probably the heart of the planning squad. But I am not so sure that the other management guys do have some common cricket sense as well.

---
The future boss theory is not impossible :)

tigerpower
May 30, 2007, 05:29 PM
while it's possible that Dravid could have gone "negative" with slow bowlers, defensive field setting, etc.. i would have preferred to see "india saved by falling light" rather than "BD packs up shop"

One World
May 30, 2007, 09:49 PM
There were some Unique Constraints in this test also:

1. This is another poor show of bad umpiring against the younger side
2. BD again lost an innings and 200+ run
3. KM proved again that he is incapable for any sorts of cricket
4. Ash plays his greatest test innings's during follow on period with assurance of hopeless defeat.
5. Mash scored 70+ in back to back test
6. Experimenting with pace-bowlers never works
7. Accepting Indian offer to play cricket in this humid climate
8. The slip cordon for BD from opponent is as thick as before

cricketlvr
May 30, 2007, 09:51 PM
wow, very interesting observation! it really makes you wonder...what if?? what if we won that first match...but unfortunately, we didn't.

Warlock
May 31, 2007, 10:34 AM
kalpurush vai, apnar mukhe ful-chondon poruk :)
I also expect, we can leave those days behind. Dav must be blamed as he was probably the heart of the planning squad. But I am not so sure that the other management guys do have some common cricket sense as well.

---
The future boss theory is not impossible :)

As much as I appreciate Dav's contribution to BD cricket in the last few years, I must say I am happy that he is finally gone.

Looking at the BD team I always felt that the players who came from the U19 are our real hope. These U19 players have been spotted by people like Mcinnes and they have a different attitude than older players like JO or HB. Their body language is different and their attitude is different. Dab was right for Habibul but he isn't probably very right for Tamim or Aftab. We need someone who can give the self-belief in players not someone who will preside over the followings like a benevolent uncle.

Tintin
May 31, 2007, 08:30 PM

See http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.cricket/browse_thread/thread/62dede15d5a55ebc/40452175316fc704?lnk=st&q=&rnum=7#40452175316fc704 for the list of all king pairs. JO is the first opening batsman to suffer a king pair.

There is one other occasion where the opener faced just two balls in two innings - http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/75/75628.html - but in that case Taufeeq Omar made a two-ball duck in the first innings and was run out without facing a ball in the second.

There are nine previous instances when a single partnership "won" a match. The last occasion was when Sangakkara and Jayawardene added 624 at Colombo last year and South Africa replied with 169 and 434.

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/98/98931.html

None of the partnerships were for the first wicket - but the current one won't be considered as one either because of the circumstances involved.

Bangladesh has been at the receiving end of a monster stand once - BD made 173 and 237 at Chittagong in 2003. In reply Jacques Rudolph and Boeta Dippenaar added 429* for the third wicket.

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/76/76891.html