PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Dav Whatmore, for your contribution to Bangladesh Cricket

Miraz
May 29, 2007, 05:44 AM
I am quoting two paragraphs from my column (http://banglacricket.com/html/column.php?item=447) previously published at BanglaCricket

From a critical point of view, Whatmore during his charge has effectively turned a losing side into a winning outfit. He effectively instilled a new optimism and discipline to a team that had not won a single match for four years. The comprehensive transformation from the ‘defeatist attitude’ towards ‘victorious approach’ is the most significant achievement for Bangladesh cricket in years. His ‘individual improvement leading to team performance’ method paid dividends over the last couple of years and with this approach, he found the core nucleus of future Bangladesh team. Improvement has no defined limits, and definitely he could have done better with Bangladesh cricket team. Keeping that in mind, if Dav Whatmore leaves Bangladesh after the World Cup to take a new challenge which he always likes, he will be always remembered as the savior of Bangladesh Cricket.
He received a fare share of criticisms in the later phase of his tenure for some controversial decisions.

However, as he is leaving Bangladesh Cricket after four long years in which we definitely made some improvements, let's say some good words, and acknowledge his contribution for Bangladesh Cricket.

Again I will request members who do not like Dav for whatever reasons to refrain themselves from posting in this thread.
(I want to thank fellow member ammark for his PM, which led me to open this thread)

Aritro
May 29, 2007, 05:50 AM
There was no way on earth we could have attracted a better coach than Dav Whatmore given the position we were in at the time. His signing was a major coup, and while his contribution has been rather exaggerated recently, and that some persistant problems never disappeared during his tenure, he deserves huge kudos for his work.

If we'd had another coach like Mohsin Kamal, that would have been the end of us.

Some of the comments that have appeared on this forum lately have been deplorable.

I hope he succeeds with the Indians.

MohammedC
May 29, 2007, 05:55 AM
Thanks to Mr Whatmore for spending 4 wonderful years with Bangladesh Cricket. Before he joined we just used to participate, now we expect a win every time we play someone. Thanks for giving us that confidence.

SideWinder
May 29, 2007, 06:01 AM
Thank you Mr Dav Whatmore. You have heart. So many teams wanted to sign you as their coach, such big salaries offerered, such brilliant cricketing minds and infrastructure offered you a pivotal role in their success-bound teams....but you said no. You came to the team which lacked credentials, credibility, structure, guidance and nurture. A team which was poor, lacked facilities and oppurtunities. Labelled hopeless so many timesl test status was called a farce; yet, you, ignoring all those worldly benefits of other teams, left your family back home and spent four painstaking years at our team...you have done for Bangladesh what no other coach has ever done. If we ever reach the top...we will know it was because of you Dav.

Thank you, Dav.
All our wins this Cup is all dedicated for you.

May Allah grant you Islam and may you live in peace.

Antora
May 29, 2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks Dav.......... 4 Everything!!
(y Does India Have 2 take U From Us???????????)

jawaherul
May 29, 2007, 08:00 AM
thank u whatmore !

oneday we will be world beaters . even then you will be remembered as the founder of the team .

although we would have loved to have you as our coach for even more years , we respect your professional right to choose your job .

hope , you have further success in future , whereever you are . only when your team play against us , i hope you do not have success . :-p

Sauron
May 29, 2007, 10:49 AM
Dav Whatmore had the right mix of patience and positive thinking. All coaches before Whatmore had struggled with balancing the snotty BCB brass and the lazy mini-stars in the playing team.

Whatmore was the perfect brand of calmness blended with authority. He wasn't the one to scream at players. Which is probably why he liked Ha Ba as the captain - someone with almost equally demure personality.

Apart from his lusting after the Indian job, to a lowest common denominator fan like me, Whatmore did everything right. The two episodes of the indian job hunt are the only blemishes to an otherwise brilliant coaching performance.

It must have been really hard for Whatmore to control the inconsistent players, especially the "respected" senior players. Thankfully the McInness products were / are somewhat different and they gave Whatmore the weapons he needed to plan victories.

My hats off to Whatmore for bearing with our cricket board and the team. You will be remembered in a good light always.

SS
May 29, 2007, 11:20 AM
Look at the positives and Whatmore did a good job to improve team's spirit and guide few of our players.
It's very difficulat as Sauron mentioned to coach some players of our team who repeatedly made the same mistakes. Our second test is the perferct example, where IND batted so well but our batters miserably failed. Our bowlers failed to take wickets, though IND bowlers got all of our wickets but still I believe our batsmen gave away their wickets recklessly. Doesn't matter which coach you bring, they will not be able to spoon feed our players. They have to learn from the coaching and then apply the basics!
Salute to Whatmore for all his contribution to our cricket.

Hatebreed
May 29, 2007, 11:45 AM
Dav Whatmore came to us at a time when we only seemed to play to for respectable defeat. Since then he's worked hard and gradually turned this team around into one that plays for victory, and we have seen the fruits of his labour.

He instilled the self-confidence and belief in our boys, and they've delivered more often than ever before Dav’s arrival. He played the pivotal role in bringing this team where it stands today. For this we owe him our gratitude.

This World Cup has been our most successful and a sign of great things to come. If Dav didn’t want to move on, I would have still liked him to continue with us. However, he’s made his decision and deserves to leave with our utmost respect for all he’s done.

Thank you Dav, for four glorious years. We wish you best of luck in your next endeavour.

Rumz_01
May 29, 2007, 11:53 AM
Trust Me, we owe a lot to Dav, he helped us improve a lot, but that does not mean we need to dwell on the fact that he is leaving...Bangladesh will move on to bigger and better things...N WE will be behind them 100%
he showed us lite in this WC, n hopefully 2011, Bangladesh will walk away with the trophy!
Thnx Dav, for all ur help n support...thnx for everythin uv done, it has been appreciated, by the players im sure, but even more by the fans, who's hearts long to see our Tigers Number 1!

Tigers_eye
May 29, 2007, 11:54 AM
When he came we had nothing.
No 4 day games, no structured leagues, no facilities, no understanding of the team concept of pulling for each other, no confidence.

Now we have all of the above plus 1-0 against India in the WC. :)

Thank you for your contribution.

arifur81
May 29, 2007, 12:30 PM
Thank you Mr Dav Whatmore. You have heart. So many teams wanted to sign you as their coach, such big salaries offerered, such brilliant cricketing minds and infrastructure offered you a pivotal role in their success-bound teams....but you said no. You came to the team which lacked credentials, credibility, structure, guidance and nurture. A team which was poor, lacked facilities and oppurtunities. Labelled hopeless so many timesl test status was called a farce; yet, you, ignoring all those worldly benefits of other teams, left your family back home and spent four painstaking years at our team...you have done for Bangladesh what no other coach has ever done. If we ever reach the top...we will know it was because of you Dav.

Thank you, Dav.
All our wins this Cup is all dedicated for you.

May Allah grant you Islam and may you live in peace.

My brother you have said it all, its a nice comment and I thank you for coming up with a wonderful comment and for Dave THANK YOU VERYMUCH from bottom of my heart for everything he has done for our cricket. All the best for your future :big_hug: .

ammark
May 29, 2007, 01:57 PM
Our gratitude knows no bounds for Dav Whatmore. Our team has seen a remarkable transformation in the past 4 years that Dav has been with us. To many of our national team players he is the father figure. I admire him for his patience, perseverance, and genuinely good work to raise our cricket so much, to a point where he has made reality the hope of playing good cricket every match we play. Thank you Dav, thank you for all your contributions to our team.

layperson
May 29, 2007, 02:15 PM
Wish the big man all the best in his future endeavours. He was instrumental in taking Bangladesh to where we are now. He deserves a big thanks. However he could have conducted himself with more dignity when it came to the Indian coaching job. This has nothing to do with BD cricket so my thanks and praise for him stays. But his attitude in chasing the indian job has only brought down his personality. I wish whatmore well where ever he goes from here.

WarWolf
May 29, 2007, 03:05 PM
Interview of Dav.
http://thedailystar.net/2007/05/30/d70530040131.htm

Aritro
May 29, 2007, 03:31 PM
Interview of Dav.
http://thedailystar.net/2007/05/30/d70530040131.htm

He's got a habit of deflecting questions by answering them in vague or general terms. I suppose that's something you learn when you're in the spotlight and you want to avoid being misquoted.

Miraz
May 29, 2007, 04:47 PM
Really a very good interview, I personally liked the following answers

DSS: You have worked with two generations of players -- Mahmuds, Rafiques and Bashars -- and then moved on to the young brigade of Ashraful, Aftab, (Shahriar) Nafees, Shakib, Tamim. How do you think these two generations differ?
DW: The younger ones have a sense of no fear. It is a good attitude to have. They certainly bring in a bit more athleticism because they are younger and more agile. The main difference is that they don't have the history of, unfortunately, Bangladesh playing and losing. They are playing more or less what they see as in they don't go out there just to bat and not get out. They see a ball and they hit it. The younger guys are out there to get runs.

DSS: Do you think Bangladesh can afford to have the luxury of separate captains?
DW: Not ideal. You would like to have one captain. But it depends on the situation where the team is. It's not my decision though.
He (Ashraful) has had some experience with Sonargaon and Dhaka. He is the next in terms of experience. I think he should be given a chance to do what he likes.

DSS: What are the strong and weak points of Bangladesh cricket?
DW: Their strength is that they keep coming up after being knocked down. They always look for the next game. As we evolve slowly, we will see consistent improvement in the shorter version of the game. It gets harder in the longer version where the opposition have more time to impose themselves on the cricketers. Improvement in the Tests will take more time.

DSS: We have seen some talented cricketers fade away from the spotlight during your tenure like Alok Kapali, Al Shahriar, Tushar Imran. It's true that they have failed sometime but don't you think that you have not motivated them enough to comeback. It seemed that you just let them go.
DW: (laughs) I am not happy with anybody who has talent and doesn't make it. But I do take some responsibility. But you're being harsh as you're saying that it's my fault. I never take credit when players do well. Therefore if a player doesn't do well, I don't think its fair to say that the coach is at fault. I take responsibility but at the end of the day, the player should take some of the responsibilities. Alok is still rated highly and potentially extremely good. If you see him bat in the nets, you'd pick him first but unfortunately that didn't translate into runs. Even though he has so much ability, he must understand what batting
DSS: Say about one event or incident that disappointed you most?
DW: Yeah, hurtful things have happened and it is recorded in my mind. Those will remain private with me, I can't share those.
DSS: Would you identify one single player in your team whom other can follow as an example?
DW: I am not the type who individualise but if I had to name one, a guy who can put Bangladesh on the map would be the boy from Narail: Mashrafe Bin Mortuza. He is potentially very, very good.

SideWinder
May 29, 2007, 04:55 PM
My brother you have said it all, its a nice comment and I thank you for coming up with a wonderful comment and for Dave THANK YOU VERYMUCH from bottom of my heart for everything he has done for our cricket. All the best for your future :big_hug: .

Hey...:big_hug: :big_hug: :big_hug: for you too (i added the other two hugs for dav..boro manush to, shaistho asey mashallah :D )

thans

Kana-Baba
May 29, 2007, 05:04 PM
Thank you dave... you gave us self beliefe....which will lead us to go to next level.

Bancan
May 29, 2007, 07:07 PM
Thank you Dav Whatmore.

Stumped
May 29, 2007, 07:16 PM
Very good interview!

BonBon
May 29, 2007, 07:19 PM
No doubt about Dav's committment. He is Da coach..and salute to him.

Sohel
May 29, 2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks Dav, a bit more class since chappell's exit would've been the perfect icing on the cake... well, can't win 'em all i suppose.

Trigger_Tiger
May 29, 2007, 11:30 PM
Dav Whatmore has been the epitome of classical coaching mixed with understanding of world cultures that has enabled him to dig deeper into cricketing knowledge far more than any other in the history of all-cricket in my opinion.

His dedication to the game, through and through has been worth more than the applause that he already receives. First it was Sri Lanka and then it was Bangladesh!

He transformed our country’s cricketing system and not just the National Team.
As many before me said in this thread, he had come at a time when our cricket was in dire straits and formulated the rise in a slow, painstaking and successful manner.

We are forever grateful to you Dav for your tremendous contributions and for giving rise to an almost-dying team in the International arena.

You will forever be remembered in our Country as a true hero and always, ever so admired!

Thank you Dav, and may God bless you and your family and may you have a wonderful future for the years to come.

kalpurush
May 30, 2007, 12:05 AM
Thank you, Dav!
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w215/obayedh/images36.jpg

yaseer
May 30, 2007, 03:15 AM
Thank you Dav for trying your level best and giving us the joy of winning.

Tokyobreeze
May 30, 2007, 03:37 AM
Thank you Dav..it was indeed great to have you..Best of luck for your next assignment.

BD Teams owes you a lot, we owe you a lot. And, we will never forget that.

Nocturnal
May 30, 2007, 03:41 AM
My salute to Dav. Good Luck.

Protic
May 30, 2007, 08:58 AM
Dont we already have THE WEBSITE BANNER to thank him? :p and MANY MANY other Thanking,Congratulating DAV thread?
Anyway ..Thanks to him .. He has done a great job.

babubangla
May 31, 2007, 11:07 AM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/babubangla/Bash_Dav.jpg

[বাংলা]চার-চারটি বছর তাঁর কেটেছে বাংলাদেশে, জমেছে কত আনন্দ-বেদনার স্মৃতি।
এতোদিনের আপন ঠিকানা ছেড়ে আমাদের হোয়াটমোর আজ পা বাড়াচ্ছে অনিশ্চিত গন্তব্যের পথে।
হুমায়ুন আহমেদের হিমুর মতো মনটা তাঁর আজ উদাস, ভাবনাগুলো যাযাবরের মতো চঞ্চল।
বিদায়বেলায় তাই হোয়াটমোর আজ হলুদ জামা পরা এক হিমু।[/বাংলা]

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/babubangla/Bat-give-to-dev.jpg
Photo Source: BangladesherKhela.com

Kabir
May 31, 2007, 12:49 PM
Abbay halay...eto guli cake killega? 7 jon e meilla ki 4 ta 2 pound er cake khaibo naki? Amgo cake koi?

jay
May 31, 2007, 12:59 PM
Thank you Dav for every thing you gave to Bangladesh and helping them succeed.........you have lead Bangladesh in great steps and i'm pretty sure you'll carry on to do so.........good luck for the future..........

XxX..............Jay.....XxX

GoldenAsif
May 31, 2007, 01:03 PM
Dear Dave,

Thanks. We only hope that out of all the countries which you manage that in some ways (though perhaps not in all ways) we will stand out. Whether it be hopefully you found us the warmest or the nicest to work with, or the team who you got the most satisfaction in changing from nobodies to one which earned respect.

Whatever you do Dave, we wish you well and will not forget your success and your hard work and effort. You will always be welcome in Bangladesh and in the homes of 140 million people.

Trigger_Tiger
May 31, 2007, 01:42 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/babubangla/Bash_Dav.jpg

[বাংলা]চার-চারটি বছর তাঁর কেটেছে বাংলাদেশে, জমেছে কত আনন্দ-বেদনার স্মৃতি।
এতোদিনের আপন ঠিকানা ছেড়ে আমাদের হোয়াটমোর আজ পা বাড়াচ্ছে অনিশ্চিত গন্তব্যের পথে।
হুমায়ুন আহমেদের হিমুর মতো মনটা তাঁর আজ উদাস, ভাবনাগুলো যাযাবরের মতো চঞ্চল।
বিদায়বেলায় তাই হোয়াটমোর আজ হলুদ জামা পরা এক হিমু।[/বাংলা]

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i278/babubangla/Bat-give-to-dev.jpg
Photo Source: BangladesherKhela.com

Man, these photo made me all emotional :(!!!!!

Stumped
May 31, 2007, 10:02 PM
im burning that shirt.. its oranange!!! ha ha

layperson
May 31, 2007, 10:14 PM
I am really happy to see the way they have given whatmore a fitting farewell. I think this is the first of our coaches to go out on a good note without any problems or illness. I think bangladesh cricket has made a special place in his heart and the players will also cherish him as a special coach.

Beamer
May 31, 2007, 10:35 PM
im burning that shirt.. its oranange!!! ha ha

Is it? not saffron ?;)

Mr-Cricket
May 31, 2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the lasting memories, Dav.

Your really were one in a million. ;)

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/122004/056996.jpg

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/50700/50713.jpg

"The duty of shepherds was to keep their flock intact and protect it from wolves and other predators"

nobody
May 31, 2007, 11:31 PM
Dav,
no amount of thanks would be enough for you. In 4 years you transform a team who are afraid of Canada to a team who dare to derail the juggernut of mighty aussi (One catch). You took us to the place where Lord Snooties (both west and east) consider their win over us as an achievement.
Thank You Dave for all those happy memories.

cricket_king
June 1, 2007, 01:33 AM
Thanks Dav. You saved us bro :)

abdulw11
June 1, 2007, 06:55 AM
I've just realised that Dav looks a bit like my driving instructor.

Anyway, thank you Dav for taking the Bangladesh team to new heights. It's just a shame that you couldn't stick around till we became world champions...then you would have been the greatest cricket coach in history. Oh well, never mind...

Zobair
June 1, 2007, 07:41 AM
Thank you Dav. Hope you take away only the good memories...and good luck with your future.

Zunaid
June 1, 2007, 12:51 PM
Thank you. He should in Australia now or almost there. Don't expect to see stumped here for a some time. :)

BCB held a farewell reception. Check the front page for picture and a mini-bulletin.

I am overwhelmed. All my life I have been associated with nice people and I think I have been blessed in that respect. I have had four very good years in Bangladesh.

I leave Bangladesh on a very happy note and I might return again, even as a coach. I think the door will remain open.

RazabQ
June 1, 2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks Dav. Seeing that you started with toughest assignment possible - a maiden test tour down under with a team in turmoil and lacking in self-belief - and managed to shut up the likes of Hookesie, I have nothing but respect for your methods. Like Sauron I may have had issues with umm, the manifestations of your professional aspirations but all in all you leave the team in a far better position than you found it. Wish you the best.

Hoi Alex - don't go on a walkabout now that dad's no longer in the picture :)

shaoun
June 1, 2007, 10:11 PM
thank you for everything, you have been a great coach.

Sohel
June 1, 2007, 11:52 PM
Thank you Dav, much to my surprise, i feel a little empty inside with you back in australia... weird.

Rabz
June 2, 2007, 01:33 AM
Thank You Dav for everything u have done for our cricket.
Best of luck in your next venture and in life general.

You will always be special to us.

jinglenuts
June 2, 2007, 10:31 AM
thanxx a tonnnnnn dav................ infinitive thanxxxxxxxx..........

Farhad
June 2, 2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks Dav...