PDA

View Full Version : Ashz abilty to speak english!!!

bangla786
May 29, 2007, 04:53 PM
The news from inqilab sports section has confrimed that habib is going to be left out for the upcoming odi in sl, which leads ash to become our youngest captn.

my qus is does bcb have any idea about his ability to speak clear english or even to get by? So far, wt i hav seen half da sentence he sayz isnt comple or doesn't make any sense!
any solution pirror to dis problem!???????

Tigers_eye
May 29, 2007, 04:54 PM
He can memorize. no?

SideWinder
May 29, 2007, 04:58 PM
The news from inqilab sports section has confrimed that habib is going to be left out for the upcoming odi in sl, which lead ash to become our youngest captn.

my qus is does bcb has any idea about his ability to speak clear english or even to get by? So far, wt i hav seen half da sentence he sayz isnt comple or doesn't make any sense!

first of all...tenkz to Alllah...

:-*

bangla786
May 29, 2007, 04:59 PM
http://www.dailyinqilab.com/

in sports section, first article
also mention about nafis inclusion!

akabir77
May 29, 2007, 05:13 PM
get a translator...
and what's so funny about thanking Allah?

MohammedC
May 29, 2007, 05:20 PM
does it matter, If he bats to his full potential then why worry about speaking english

dewan
May 29, 2007, 05:36 PM
i know that he have potential and thers so plrbleme to thanks Allah i think its really cute.lol
the matter is that his accent is just to horrible

dewan
May 29, 2007, 05:40 PM
oups i made a typing mistake so thait what i want it to write:
i know that he have potential and thers no probleme to thanks Allah i think its really cute.lol

CricTiger
May 29, 2007, 05:48 PM
does it matter, If he bats to his full potential then why worry about speaking english

Exactly -who cares after that

zahid
May 29, 2007, 05:50 PM
Habla speaks better than him. Do you want to keep him instead?

jam
May 29, 2007, 06:08 PM
i know that he have potential and thers no probleme to thanks Allah i think its really cute.lol

We all have our own mistakes. English is not our language. It is normal to have an accent. We want good cricket and good captaincy from him. In my view, we should overcome the attitude of "feeling shame" if we can't speak English like a British or an American or an Australian. Look at French people and German, they don't even bother to learn English. They take pride in their language. Have you heard a French speaking English? I did, it is no where near English and it is not a matter to them.

When we perform in the world arena, we will also feel proud about us. So, we want good cricket from him and others, not to worry about English.

catstrophy
May 29, 2007, 06:13 PM

lol hahahahaa:floor:

amra_korbo_joy
May 29, 2007, 06:32 PM
what about making a Dhaka University English professor as our next captian

SideWinder
May 29, 2007, 06:38 PM
get a translator...

Allahke shukur diyeche to ami khushi, ami taar 'tenks'-ta kiye niye melaytasi

Nafis_BD
May 29, 2007, 06:40 PM
I don't care if his english is horrible and he has accent problems and etc heck I dont even care if he speaks in Bangla...I mean it is our mother tongue and we should be proud to speak in it and also English isn't our 1st language so we don't have to be perfect in speaking it so who cares as long as he performs well and is a good captain and we perform well or win then why should we care wether he speaks proper english or not.Actually sometimes I think that they should just speak in Bangla if english is such a big problem!!!!

SideWinder
May 29, 2007, 06:45 PM
I don't care if his english is horrible and he has accent problems and etc heck I dont even care if he speaks in Bangla...I mean it is our mother tongue and we should be proud to speak in it and also English isn't our 1st language so we don't have to be perfect in speaking it so who cares as long as he performs well and is a good captain and we perform well or win then why should we care wether he speaks proper english or not.Actually sometimes I think that they should just speak in Bangla if english is such a big problem!!!!

Your world.

P.M.Presentations:

Holding to Ashraful: How are you feeling after scoring 100 today in the World Cup final v India?

Ashraful: Prothomotho, Allahar kachey bishesh shukriya...ar khubiy bhalo lagey; etho boro teamer shatey ekta century pete; taar upore world cup finaley....

Holding: BOT in English please

Ashraful: Hey, Indian teamta tho roBOTer motho keltasilo...

:floor: :floor:

iqu15
May 29, 2007, 06:51 PM

I guess the best answer is given by Zahid.

Ashraful is improving his Engilish, at least he is talking rather than flee away what he used to do in his earlier career.

It would be better for him if he can spend some time on it while he is idle (no tours, game). As you know, he has got some glamour now and it is easy for him to mock around with it perhaps Girls !!Media!! Ads!! or even not ruling out to play a role in the drama!!!

Hatebreed
May 29, 2007, 06:56 PM
Some of our young players seemed to have memorised what they say every time, to almost every question. "I just try to play my natural game", a common answer from Tamim, Sakib and Mushy. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just like that Ash at least tries.

Sohel
May 29, 2007, 07:10 PM
i think some of the misplaced interest in this thread about the young man's religious feelings and lack of fluency in english has more to do with poster's own self-loathing projected onto somebody else, than anything else. i feel genuinely sorry for those who believe that the ability to appear "secular" and speak english well makes them better human beings or even cricket players. english common law, the basis for so called western secularism is itself based on judeo-christian morality and protestant ethics. the point is not one of personal religiosity as a cutural slash individual choice, but of social tolerance on all levels. whether or not there's equal treatment under the law for everyone regadrless of race, creed, gender, sexual orientation or political viewpoint IS the issue. working too hard to become acceptable to white folks and their intellectually colonized servants is a dead end. it embarrasses me to see some of my brothers dis themselves like this. don't flaunt the complex and decolonize your minds bros. SN and the iqbal brothers can translate for him before he gets fluent...

BonBon
May 29, 2007, 07:21 PM
This thread is meaningless. When you are a batsman..your bat does the talking. When you are a captain..your shrewd decision making and vision do the talking. There is just one language for all these..and its not english.

Farhad
May 29, 2007, 07:26 PM
True...We're in store for some embarrassing moments. Doesnt matter as long as he can deliver though. As far as ive seen from the small number of times he captained the first test, he seemed to be great....

Idealist
May 29, 2007, 07:30 PM
This thread is meaningless. When you are a batsman..your bat does the talking. When you are a captain..your shrewd decision making and vision do the talking. There is just one language for all these..and its not english.
Well said BonBon

ialbd
May 29, 2007, 07:35 PM
he is getting better, has more words in his vocabulary now.....

Ganguly da
May 29, 2007, 07:49 PM
i still remember his dialogue: "i bat, we win match" even though it was funny, his bat should do most of the talking, Chamara Silva can't speak a single word of english, yet he's such a strong part for SL middle order.

biddut
May 29, 2007, 09:01 PM
Some of guys are pathetic!!! Why is Ash's english becoming a farse? He is a good batsman and he did not live upto his expectation. Stop making fun of this guy. What an utter nonsense.

Haradhon
May 29, 2007, 09:45 PM
The news from inqilab sports section has confrimed that habib is going to be left out for the upcoming odi in sl, which leads ash to become our youngest captn.

my qus is does bcb have any idea about his ability to speak clear english or even to get by? So far, wt i hav seen half da sentence he sayz isnt comple or doesn't make any sense!

I thought after playing for Rainhill Club he would be able to improve his english.
If I have to weigh between english and cricket skills I rather go with someone who has cricket skills and provide an interpreter. Arjuna Ranatunga did not speak english well.

Cryin Out
May 29, 2007, 09:54 PM
i think some of the misplaced interest in this thread about the young man's religious feelings and lack of fluency in english has more to do with poster's own self-loathing projected onto somebody else, than anything else. i feel genuinely sorry for those who believe that the ability to appear "secular" and speak english well makes them better human beings or even cricket players. english common law, the basis for so called western secularism is itself based on judeo-christian morality and protestant ethics. the point is not one's religiosity as a cutural slash individual choice but social tolerance. whether or not there's equal treatment under the law for everyone regadrless of race, creed, gender, sexual orientation or political viewpoint IS the issue. working too hard to become acceptable to white folks and their intellectually colonized servants is a dead end. it embarrasses me to see some of my brothers dis themselves like this. don't flaunt the complex and decolonize your minds bros. SN and the iqbal brothers can translate for him before he gets fluent...

Agree with most of what you said. I enough friends from West Bengal to know that your language is one of the most beautiful in the world, right up there with Urdu and French.

IMO, the people who lack confidence in their own language are those who need help.

Sami
May 29, 2007, 09:55 PM
Instead of worrying how Ash will shoulder his captaincy... you worry about how he will speak to TV presenters and such? This leaves much to be desired for...

off-topic: ... and this post marks my return to BC...

SMHasan
May 29, 2007, 09:59 PM
Instead of worrying how Ash will shoulder his captaincy... you worry about how he will speak to TV presenters and such? This leaves much to be desired for...

Sami, you still alive? :)

knightrider357
May 29, 2007, 10:04 PM
ajaira thread...
if u are so worried about his English... send a letter to BCB... and tell them to open a ESL class... and also tell them to bring an English professor from England or Australia instead of a Coach, which we need so badly at this moment

Stumped
May 29, 2007, 10:24 PM
practise makes purfect.. he is a young man who is nervous gettin up in front of cameras and hundreds of people to talk. Give him a break! There are many cricketers who started out the same.. give him time...

Sami
May 29, 2007, 10:26 PM
Sami, you still alive? :)

Indeed Hasan bhai :) its good to be back...

Trigger_Tiger
May 29, 2007, 10:35 PM
No offense to anybody, but maybe more than half of the people here and in most cricket forums can't speak proper English. Do we talk about it? Do we criticize them just because they aren't fluent enough? They have some cricket knowledge and that is why they are here.

Same goes with Ash, he has a good knowledge of the game and that is why he is the captain and not Nafees who is probably the second best English speaker right fater Enamul Haq Jr. (by far the best!) and Tamim Iqbal.

And look at Inzi. He is one of the greatest and most dedicated player of all times! And his English was at times so messy that what he said came out as something else and it was funny.

As is a good kid, has a brilliant cricketing mind and is so darn talented that everytime he fails to score much it breaks most of our hearts!

That kid, if cultured properly, has the ability to become one of Bangladesh's greatest cricketer ever! If not the one of the greatest the game has ever seen!

And Allah is God. Always believing in him is nothing out of place. So kindly lets not bring religion into context here, even though Inzi, our Akram Mamu and many others used to just say that one sentence somewhat correctly ("First of all I thank/thanks Allah") it should not come into context here.

Mr-Cricket
May 29, 2007, 10:42 PM
This thread is hardly "meaningless". The poster poses a very interesting point in regards to our Captain's deficiencies in speaking the English language. A Captains responsibilities do not meerly begin & end on the Field.

Off-field duties become a part & parcel of the obligation, and one part requires him to represent both himself, and his team in Press Conferences. Believe it or not - Press Conferences do play their own part in a teams performance! Mind games start before games, people! Think of Ricky Ponting, and the way he presents himself, and his team, both in the lead up to, and after games.

Yes, Inzaman may be one notable who always seems to have struggled in grasping the Language, but, that said, it certainly wouldn't hurt Ash if he was to brush up on his English over the coming months, and years. ;)

jawaherul
May 29, 2007, 10:42 PM
hey , ashraful has a tremendous cricket brain , is often innovative in his approach , is agressive by nature , can lead from the front and as far as i have seen from the short span captaincy in the india series , he also enjoys the captaincy . and his body language looks like a captain's .

don't bother about his english . we need a good captain , not a good commentator . and i have a feeling that ash is going to be one of the greatest captains of the world cricket . don't think that i am only emotional to say like this . he has all the ingredients to be a great captain , right there with imran khan , arjuna ranatunga , or even steve waugh ( sourav ganguli was also a very good captain ) . i know it is very early to predict but morning shows the day .

good luck ashraful .

as of speaking english .... ashraful is anyway going to be speaking english more often from now on , because he is going to be man of the match for hundreds of matches .

Mr-Cricket
May 29, 2007, 10:47 PM
May I just add, that Inzi, and most Pakistani players, praise Allah, before answering questions directed from the Press. That said, I don't think SideWinder was having a crack at the religion, in his posts. It was clearly said "in jest". I think some of you need to "lighten up", a little. Cheers.

jabbar
May 29, 2007, 10:48 PM
When Inzy came on the world stage back in world cup 92, he couldn't speak a word of english. If the big potatoe man can learn to speak english, our little Ash can do it too.

BD Tigers
May 29, 2007, 10:49 PM
not worried abt his ability to speak english. His batting will do all the talkings. If Inzi can survive then anybody can.

kalpurush
May 29, 2007, 10:58 PM

...polapan...khayesh hoisey ekkhan thread khuler...sohoj rasta bechey niyechey er ki!;)

jawaherul
May 29, 2007, 11:11 PM
very ironically and farcically though , inzi's wife is bachelor/masters in english:lol:

kaisermatin
May 29, 2007, 11:25 PM
pocha suta. pure nonsense...

sunny747
May 30, 2007, 01:27 AM
Out captain has to be really smart......he has to bat well, he has to captain his team well, he has to speak english well ........becoz he is our role model, he is our ambassador.

WarWolf
May 30, 2007, 03:03 AM
practise makes purfect.. he is a young man who is nervous gettin up in front of cameras and hundreds of people to talk. Give him a break! There are many cricketers who started out the same.. give him time...

Nice to see you again Alexa.

israr
May 30, 2007, 03:38 AM
We all have our own mistakes. English is not our language. It is normal to have an accent. We want good cricket and good captaincy from him. In my view, we should overcome the attitude of "feeling shame" if we can't speak English like a British or an American or an Australian. Look at French people and German, they don't even bother to learn English. They take pride in their language. Have you heard a French speaking English? I did, it is no where near English and it is not a matter to them.

When we perform in the world arena, we will also feel proud about us. So, we want good cricket from him and others, not to worry about English.

Wish other guys thought like you!

yaseer
May 30, 2007, 04:02 AM

rubel_18
May 30, 2007, 05:23 AM
Who cares if he can speak English or not, at the end of the day if he can captain well and play well then it doesnt matter. Would you rather have a captain that can speak English but captain crap and play crap?

gatekeeper
May 30, 2007, 07:14 AM
pocha suta. pure nonsense...

I second that.

Aritro
May 30, 2007, 07:17 AM
This thread is hardly "meaningless". The poster poses a very interesting point in regards to our Captain's deficiencies in speaking the English language. A Captains responsibilities do not meerly begin & end on the Field.

His proficiency in English is right up there with his ability to recite the capitals of European cities in terms of things that don't make a bloody difference whatsoever to his captaincy and batting.

Off-field duties become a part & parcel of the obligation, and one part requires him to represent both himself, and his team in Press Conferences. He can represent both himself, and his team, by speaking his native tongue and having it translated, much like Saeed Anwar used to do.

Believe it or not - Press Conferences do play their own part in a teams performance!Believe it or not, it actually doesn't play any bloody part at all!

Mind games start before games, people! Presumably while non-English speaking footballers all over the world are able to engage in their own Media-fuelled mindgames through translated quotes, this option isn't available to Bangla speakers.

Think of Ricky Ponting, and the way he presents himself, and his team, both in the lead up to, and after games.I prefer to avoid thinking of his ugly, inbred Taswegian mug whenever possible.

Yes, Inzaman may be one notable who always seems to have struggled in grasping the Language, but, that said, it certainly wouldn't hurt Ash if he was to brush up on his English over the coming months, and years. ;)Yes, brushing up on his English wouldn't help. But if he was to learn how to speak it to a reasonable level, it still wouldn't be any less inconsequential than it is now.

You're welcome.

Miraz
May 30, 2007, 07:27 AM

Have to agree with you here. :)

rah
May 30, 2007, 07:33 AM
:-/ very ironically and farcically though , inzi's wife is bachelor/masters in english:lol:

and if his speaking is that bad just send out somebody like mash or nafees for the interviews that dont realli need ash

Shafin
May 30, 2007, 10:32 AM
very ironically and farcically though , inzi's wife is bachelor/masters in english:lol:
Matchmakers would be tempted to remember that on Ash :D

Shafin
May 30, 2007, 10:35 AM
The one with the Thanks To Allah Problem,just because you do not want to behave properly and thank the Creator,does not mean others can not.If Ash gets better,he will get better for his shukrana.

radagast
May 30, 2007, 11:02 AM
As long as he is not suffering from inferiority complex coz he cannot speak English properly, and his game is not affected for that – who gives a hoot about his speech. One good thing though, stutter or not, he seems pretty fearless infront of a mike these days.

uss01
May 30, 2007, 12:13 PM
You've got to be kidding.Urdu is not beautiful!

Agree with most of what you said. I enough friends from West Bengal to know that your language is one of the most beautiful in the world, right up there with Urdu and French.

IMO, the people who lack confidence in their own language are those who need help.

Ahmed_B
May 30, 2007, 12:25 PM
[বাংলা]ইংলিশের কথা বাদ দেন! আশরাফুল তো শুদ্ধ করে বাংলাও বলতে পারে না! কিন্তু তাতে কিই বা এসে যায়?!! এমনিতেই আমরা নতুন ক্যাপ্টেন কেমন করবে না করবে তা নিয়ে বড়ই চিন্তিত। তার উপর আপনি আবার ইংলিশ জ্ঞান সম্পন্ন ক্যাপ্টেন চাচ্ছেন! মহা বিপদের কথা!!
আপনি তো ভাই আমাদের সেই প্রিয় সদস্য mba এর কথা আবার মনে করিয়ে দিলেন![/বাংলা] :)

akabir77
May 30, 2007, 01:09 PM
[বাংলা]ইংলিশের কথা বাদ দেন! আশরাফুল তো শুদ্ধ করে বাংলাও বলতে পারে না! কিন্তু তাতে কিই বা এসে যায়?!! এমনিতেই আমরা নতুন ক্যাপ্টেন কেমন করবে না করবে তা নিয়ে বড়ই চিন্তিত। তার উপর আপনি আবার ইংলিশ জ্ঞান সম্পন্ন ক্যাপ্টেন চাচ্ছেন! মহা বিপদের কথা!!
আপনি তো ভাই আমাদের সেই প্রিয় সদস্য mba এর কথা আবার মনে করিয়ে দিলেন![/বাংলা] :)

[বাংলা]ঠিক বলছেন ভাই। ১০০% খাটি কথা[/বাংলা]

Fazal
May 30, 2007, 01:15 PM
I am one of the few who is not comfortable with Ash as a captain... but kind of accepted it as there is few other options left. But to tell you the truth... Ash's ability to speak English is not even anywhere near my list concerns.

Rumz_01
May 30, 2007, 02:15 PM
first of all...tenkz to Alllah...

:-*

thats what he sed after the South Afric match, hey speakin English isnt all tha important...
He can speak english, he did after the WC match, it was mainly...
"like...erm...like..."
but at least he sed sumat...n we need to giv them sum credz!
Ashz english is bare cute, u need to respect tha!

Rajowana
May 30, 2007, 02:18 PM
thats what he sed after the South Afric match, hey speakin English isnt all tha important...
He can speak english, he did after the WC match, it was mainly...
"like...erm...like..."
but at least he sed sumat...n we need to giv them sum credz!
Ashz english is bare cute, u need to respect tha!

lol ye i agree it is cute lol lyk.... lyk.... bless him

Rumz_01
May 30, 2007, 02:30 PM
OH YH N ONE MRE THING!

He was the greatest talent, wen playin gainst Australia in the Natwest series wen he scored his 100, or every other time he bats really well?
But nw just becuz his abilty to speak english isnt the best, u think its alryt to drag him dwn...Well guess wah i dnt think he care, n neither do the other thousand of true Bengiz out there, hu cudnt care less about the way he speaks but hw he connects to us...n hw he shows the hole world that Bangladesh is not jus a name, but comes with a lot of voice to!
some of u are so bigheded, i dnt think anyone here has the rite to cricticise anyones english, n if u do for all i no u cud be a freshi sitting there hu has really good spelling!

So next time u think of sayin sumat like tha agenst any of those great men hu go out n play for the title of our country i suggest u think twice!!!

by the way...his got a really cute voice

Rajowana
May 30, 2007, 02:33 PM
OH YH N ONE MRE THING!

He was the greatest talent, wen playin gainst Australia in the Natwest series wen he scored his 100, or every other time he bats really well?
But nw just becuz his abilty to speak english isnt the best, u think its alryt to drag him dwn...Well guess wah i dnt think he care, n neither do the other thousand of true Bengiz out there, hu cudnt care less about the way he speaks but hw he connects to us...n hw he shows the hole world that Bangladesh is not jus a name, but comes with a lot of voice to!
some of u are so bigheded, i dnt think anyone here has the rite to cricticise anyones english, n if u do for all i no u cud be a freshi sitting there hu has really good spelling!

So next time u think of sayin sumat like tha agenst any of those great men hu go out n play for the title of our country i suggest u think twice!!!

lol well sed gal!!!!!!!:-D
Oh nd by the way i lyked the end bit "he's got a really cute voice" lolz

Rumz_01
May 30, 2007, 02:53 PM
lol well sed gal!!!!!!!:-D
Oh nd by the way i lyked the end bit "he's got a really cute voice" lolz

LMAO!
NO ONE SEZ ANYTHIN BOUT MA BOYZ...
WELL OUR BOYZ...U GETZ ME!

zahid
May 30, 2007, 05:29 PM
This may be off-topic.

But, I remember Rokon giving an interview yeaaaars ago. He was basically smiling and nodding during the interview with Ravi Shastri.

At that time, I thought he was dumb !:D

bangla786
May 30, 2007, 05:43 PM
u guy ARE BUNCHA of nonsenses,and totaly misunderstood my point!
i wAS never agnaist him being captiaN,nor i want haba to retain in da postion, infact i made a thread about "realtiy check anyone" where express my view as him being captain and open with tamim!!!! BUT MY QUS WAS MORE TOWARDS THOSE CONVERSTAION AMONG TOSS, PRESENTION, INTERVIEWS, MEDIA QUSTIONS PERIOD ETC.

be ready to cope with other media making fun of our captian, since u guyz arent taking it as an important issue!

btw haba is funny tooo! everysingle time someone askz him something he starts wid "yes its is":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ganguly da
May 30, 2007, 05:46 PM
OH YH N ONE MRE THING!

u r lyk oh maaa god so ryte....thiz iz so kool..lyk omg...he iz da bst aite...evr1 here iz so bigheded...they hv no ryte to criticiccee anyones english...juzz look at myne...i'm parfect..say whaa:onethephone:

bangla786
May 30, 2007, 05:58 PM
BTW I DNT know y u guyz are comparing inzi wid ash! u hav to remember inz didnt start his career as a captain ,so that way he didnt have to fact da media which ash is going to be doing soon!

Farhad
May 30, 2007, 06:06 PM
u r lyk oh maaa god so ryte....thiz iz so kool..lyk omg...he iz da bst aite...evr1 here iz so bigheded...they hv no ryte to criticiccee anyones english...juzz look at myne...i'm parfect..say whaa:onethephone:

lol...Good "teenage girl" impression. Practice, do you?

Ganguly da
May 30, 2007, 06:07 PM
lol...Good "teenage girl" impression. Practice, do you?

enough experience from high school era

Rajowana
May 30, 2007, 06:22 PM

:lol: :lol: lolz i larf

Zunaid
May 30, 2007, 06:27 PM
Most definitely as myself:

What if Ash does not have a good command of the English language? 80% of the posts here exhibit the same "dexterity".

layperson
May 30, 2007, 08:36 PM

What if Ash does not have a good command of the English language? 80% of the posts here exhibit the same "dexterity".

Pochailen jokhon shobaike ektu easy word use korten :D manush to bujhbe nah ki bollen. I concur 200 % with what you said.

Haradhon
May 30, 2007, 09:31 PM
he's representing bangladesh...so i have no problem if he can't speak english...but people expect captains to speak in english. well, at worst, he can just memorize a few lines...if he is the man of the match, he can say, "i just play my natural game"....or as captain, he can say, "we just play our natural game." i'm sure he'll be able to manage english...he has so far.

He will represent Bangladesh with his bat and we will ask Ravid Imam to be his interpreter ...
Some so-called English-speaking people speak English like Chittagonian dialect. Anyone remembers the Irishman Porterfield speaking after the victory with Bangladseh - I did not understand a single word....

BD Tigers
May 30, 2007, 09:40 PM
even tho we dont care whether he can speak english well or not but I think he will think abt this pretty hard. He has to talk at least at the toss, at the presentation and at the press conf. So he might start taking private course in english already who knows.

capslock
May 30, 2007, 10:56 PM
I am slightly more worried about Ash's ability to score big runs on a regular basis, couldn't give a crap about the rest. Hire an English professor if you want good speeches.

syzygy
May 31, 2007, 12:42 AM
i think ashraful should get a teacher and improve his spoken english or let mash do the talking..the rest of the world will be watching the captain speak and remember he is the ambassador of bangladesh in a cricket field..so other than cricket he should work on his foreign language skills..even kapil dev was weak in english when he started and ppl used to laugh at his speaking prowess but he worked hard on his english skills and became quite good...i hope ash wont become another inzi.

sam6454
May 31, 2007, 01:37 AM

Dewan, I think you need to correct your English before you catch mistakes in Asraful's English. You had mistakes even in your corrected post.

BD-Shardul
May 31, 2007, 02:55 AM
:D i think some of the misplaced interest in this thread about the young man's religious feelings and lack of fluency in english has more to do with poster's own self-loathing projected onto somebody else, than anything else. i feel genuinely sorry for those who believe that the ability to appear "secular" and speak english well makes them better human beings or even cricket players. english common law, the basis for so called western secularism is itself based on judeo-christian morality and protestant ethics. the point is not one's religiosity as a cutural slash individual choice but social tolerance. whether or not there's equal treatment under the law for everyone regadrless of race, creed, gender, sexual orientation or political viewpoint IS the issue. working too hard to become acceptable to white folks and their intellectually colonized servants is a dead end. it embarrasses me to see some of my brothers dis themselves like this. don't flaunt the complex and decolonize your minds bros. SN and the iqbal brothers can translate for him before he gets fluent...

Perfect Answer

WarWolf
May 31, 2007, 03:21 AM
I think speaking in front of media is not the main job of a captain. If he leads well then his speaking capability doesn't matter much.

He earns well. If he thinks he need to be better in english, he can enroll himself in a good english speaking course. LOL.

Alien
May 31, 2007, 05:36 AM
He can memorize. no?

He sure can prepare a speech for winning the toss and losing the toss and memorise them. And another one just in case he clicks and becomes a MOM. I would rather take English lessons than memorise 3 sets of speeches for every game.

Antora
May 31, 2007, 05:53 AM
well the thing is I was watchin ashz interview on rtv last yr .. and the thing that concerened me the most was .... not only cant he speak english... but he cant even speak bangla properly!!! but in a way its kinda cute!!! (lol)

mla
May 31, 2007, 08:34 AM
Hello, I am new to the forum. I am an English cricket fan who is also a huge fan of Bangladesh cricket. My view is that Ashraful's English-speaking ability is not relevant - I certainly don't think many (or any) of the English cricket watchers that I know would automatically expect players from non English speaking countries to speak perfect English and we wouldn't expect them to spend their time learning English for the sake of press conferences / post-match interviews. If the players wish to go on to work in, say, international coaching, or commentating, or to a non-playing managerial or organisational role, then good English would be an advantage given that they may be working with people whose only common language might be English. But I, and (I would have thought) the vast majority of my fellow English cricket fans, are happiest when players do their speaking on the field, in the universal language of cricket, because that is after all why we watch them. And we understand Ash perfectly where it counts - for example in the amazing batting that we saw against Australia and England.

Carte Blanche
May 31, 2007, 08:36 AM

Adds to the irony mentioned by Nehru :)

NoboBarta
May 31, 2007, 09:44 AM

Good point! But one should speak his/her language well before learns English or any other. Ashraful needs to improve his Bangla speaking ability (in public). I am a big supporter of Ash, not for his lack of English or Bangla speaking ability but for his courageous games, body language on the field, talent, etc. But I do believe that he should improve his public speaking ability (Bangla first, English next). It is not a must but important for a successful captain. ffice:office" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://banglacricket.com/alochona/<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

akabir77
May 31, 2007, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid

Adds to the irony mentioned by Nehru :)

And if you have read most posts here,you would have seen most people r saying they don't care how well ash speaks in english or bangla...

Rumz_01
May 31, 2007, 01:15 PM

like wat...eveeerrr...

lolz... ur such an amateur...:floor:

but u see ma point??

Rumz_01
May 31, 2007, 01:17 PM
well the thing is I was watchin ashz interview on rtv last yr .. and the thing that concerened me the most was .... not only cant he speak english... but he cant even speak bangla properly!!! but in a way its kinda cute!!! (lol)

lol...

GothamCity
May 31, 2007, 01:46 PM
I think Ashraful should only speak with his bat on the cricket ground and get someone else to speak for him off-the-field.

Rumz_01
June 1, 2007, 06:22 PM
Lmao!

Cryin Out
June 1, 2007, 07:03 PM
You've got to be kidding.Urdu is not beautiful!

Dude you have got to be kidding me. Ghalib, to say the least? Mir Taqi Mir?

Are you confusing Urdu with Punjabi, perchance?

Farhad
June 1, 2007, 09:06 PM
Woah...Three pages of people saying the exact same thing over and over again. /:)

imroze
June 2, 2007, 09:15 AM
The best thing Ashraful can do is admit somewhere and get an English course

Dhakablues
June 2, 2007, 11:00 AM
The best thing Ashraful should do now, as he is the captain, is to send his deputy to talk to Media instead of himself... Or be a Pakistani ( kidding) and talk his native language to the media..

Kabir
June 2, 2007, 11:05 AM
Okay of this thread. Please put a stop to it.

Some people really suffer from inferiority complex. It's a DISEASE.

Deadzone
June 2, 2007, 12:04 PM
Ashraful's ability of speaking English needs to be inproved sooner. I have seen him couple of tyms being interveiwd in English where he was completely lost. Well now hez da captain of BD criket. So BCB shud take some quick steps to organize him for international cricket and he shud learn English. Remember we are one of the 9th test playing nation in the world. Gotta have the class ashraful. we know you can be very smart infact you aready are !;)

One World
June 2, 2007, 01:44 PM
If he needs to improve his English it should not become a burden and extra pressure for him. Its like kid's school, everything should be taught in a playful manner.

Zobair
June 2, 2007, 01:46 PM
Ash's English is fine. He will get better, its inevitable. Leave him alone.

Umar
June 2, 2007, 01:50 PM
Who cares about english ? it Sux anyway..Bangla is the best :)

ononto
June 2, 2007, 02:13 PM
I am sorry, but have to say, what a stupid thread it is. It's sad that just after getting the captaincy there are threads popping up like Ashraful-new era, asharafuls reaction, is ashraful as a captain is good, new news, two thumbs up etc. Why don't ppl stick to a particular thread topic and goes by it. And threads like this are really frustating and descend the caliber of the forum of banglacricket. Mods pls do something when a new thread pops up and mearge asap with related thread.

Ononto

qwert
June 2, 2007, 05:46 PM
I am sorry, but have to say, what a stupid thread it is. It's sad that just after getting the captaincy there are threads popping up like Ashraful-new era, asharafuls reaction, is ashraful as a captain is good, new news, two thumbs up etc. Why don't ppl stick to a particular thread topic and goes by it. And threads like this are really frustating and descend the caliber of the forum of banglacricket. Mods pls do something when a new thread pops up and mearge asap with related thread.

Ononto

i agree man and why does it matter if ashraful can speak english or not. Its about cricket, the only thing is matter is how good he can play.

Sovik
June 3, 2007, 07:48 AM
as long as he performs well i don't have any problem

JamesBond
June 3, 2007, 10:56 AM

I saw his youtube video.. he cant even speak bengali properly.. he keeps on repeating himself.. and Saquiz Hasan always says "Natural Game" every other word..God..their coach is Australian, dont they talk to him all the time? then how come they dont get the practise?:doh:

Aritro
June 3, 2007, 10:58 AM
Saquiz Hasan always says "Natural Game" every other word..God..their coach is Australian, dont they talk to him all the time? then how come they dont get the practise?:doh:

Their conversational English is probably adequate.

They're probably just a little bit nervous in front of the camera and unused to the formal structures that are expected.

FagunerAgun
June 3, 2007, 11:46 AM
Ash needs to be better with bat and ball than with his English.

I believe Ash's English is much better than that of Inzi's.

shimul99
June 6, 2007, 04:20 PM
English has nothing to do with the performance. I don’t care Ash can speak English or not. Only the performance counts in the game. There are tons of world class players in the world in many different sports who don’t even speak a single word. Just leave it aside. God bless Bangladesh cricket.

BanCricFan
June 6, 2007, 06:27 PM
OMG! No one has suggested " Banglish" for Ash yet! lol!

sheshprohor
June 6, 2007, 09:18 PM
get a translator...

No problem at all...BUT he seems following the script from Inzimam. May be Inzi threw that away after retiring...!!!

selina
June 6, 2007, 09:29 PM
I don't think he needs to worry about his english or all the other media responsibilities that come with being the captain. For now he should just focus on captaining on the field and performing as a batsmen. If he can do that then fans, media, and everyone else will naturally be happy, whether he can speak English or not. :)

Sohel
June 7, 2007, 08:05 AM
thank you sisters for making sense.

IanW
June 7, 2007, 08:11 PM
What everyone else said. If the team is performing well, no-one will care if he flashes a smile and uses a translator.

If the team is performing badly, likewise no-one will care if he flashes a smile and uses a translator.

Ian Whitchurch

Rabz
June 7, 2007, 11:28 PM
BTW I DNT know y u guyz are comparing inzi wid ash! u hav to remember inz didnt start his career as a captain ,so that way he didnt have to fact da media which ash is going to be doing soon!

Mate, now id have to question your cricketing knowledge as well...
U rekcon Ash is starting his career as a captain??
He is in the team for the past 5 years or so.

And honestly, who cares his ability to speak English.
Let his bat and the team do the talking for him.

PoorFan
June 8, 2007, 12:18 AM
We should be worry about his batting ability ( consistency, temperament ), not English.

sunny747
June 9, 2007, 12:04 AM
Can ash do this for us? speaking in publich like this ???
this is what i call captain.......not only his cricketing ability but there are many other things which a captain should have........thats why he is the captain, different from other players.........ambassador of the country...

http://www.prothom-alo.org/mcat.news.details.php?nid=NDM3MTI=&mid=OA==

Ahmed_B
June 9, 2007, 01:10 AM
sunny... thats the best ICC-Captain of 2006 you are talking about. :)
Let's not expect Ash to be the best captain in the world already! Set your expectations lower.

sunny747
June 9, 2007, 03:03 AM
sunny... thats the best ICC-Captain of 2006 you are talking about. :)
Let's not expect Ash to be the best captain in the world already! Set your expectations lower.

i know....20% of him won't be bad either......