PDA

View Full Version : HateCricket!

ottawaGuy
May 29, 2007, 05:44 PM
BanglaCricket used to be an amazing place to spend one's leisure hours being enlightened about the happenings/developement of Bangladesh Cricket. More recently however, the credibility of BanglaCricket has gone down with increasing members in an inversely proportional relationship. BanglaCricket has taken on the unofficial name of HateCricket where people find entertainment in the form of prejudices, unconstructive and pointless criticisms of whomsoever is blessed with a reputation to uphold. The current trend is devoted to Bashar but Bashar isn't the only one to be criticized in such a manner. Prior to the Bashar bashing threads there were always the Mash bashing/Ash bashing threads. No Bangladeshi player or coaches with contributions to the country has been left not being "bashed" at. Bashar, Nafees, Pilot, Ashraful, Aftab, Rajin, Kapali, Omar, Rajib, Mehrab(jr.)- I need not provide the entire list: they are all players who got where they've gotten because of who they are! Nevertheless none of them has been spared by the selfish crowd so eager to demostrate their unappreciation that even the simplest goodwill gestures are agressively fought against and made a mockery out of that involves group harrassment and personally directed offensives toward individual members(Ironically, often toward members who have a reputation to uphold and/or significant contributions to the site.). Apparantly the general population in the site regards it an honour to be able to scrutinize and make fun of players. When there's nothing left to criticize they target trivial aspects including proficiency in english or the looks of the players' girlfriend. Mods are powerless to do anything about it and are alleged of being biased and misusing their power to suppress opinions. But what was one supposed to do when opinions come in the form- "I'll tell you whats wrong with sn...he's fat!!! (not gud to be fat) he has a stupid hair cut that does not look gud on him... ". Its nice to be relieved from having to be serious all the time but such is the magnitude of this infectious attitude of being ever-critical that its driving away the humble observers from entering the hatred dominated BanglaCricket forums. As Bangladesh Cricket dawns with the rise of a new era, BanglaCricket finds itself sinking amongst the ancestorially inherrited hatred in the form of prejudice towards our own kind that is ever so prevailent within my countrymen. Lets just hope the sample size at BanglaCricket does not truly reflect the entire population.

Idealist
May 29, 2007, 07:49 PM
I am impressed. Well said..South Asians are governed by opinions and emotions. Therefore, being judgemental is a practice which is seen as normal..In addition, the locals have too much time on their hands. Rather than doing something for them selves-i.e. playing the game; they prefer to critisize the players who have made it to that level...

Sohel
May 29, 2007, 08:03 PM
ottawaGuy: go sens ('cause i'm a wings fan) !!! interesting thread. here's a little something for you bro.

http://uk.tickle.com/test/humor.html may not be a bad idea.

Hatebreed
May 29, 2007, 08:39 PM
And I was beginning to think BC was being renamed in my honour.

*sigh*

jabbar
May 29, 2007, 08:50 PM
And I was beginning to think BC was being renamed in my honour.

*sigh*

Haha! :lol:

The fans at BC are perhaps the most passionate in the world. As a result, when our team loses (which is often), we feel despair and frustration. We simply cannot keep saying positive things when there are so many negative occurrences in the BD team. Despite the losses and the heart ache, we have -- on the whole -- supported our beloved team. When they do win, we give them many praises, and the taste of victory increases our respect for the players and we become more forgiving when they inevitably drop in form again.

I think that the majority of BC forum writers here are fair in their comments and criticisms. As with any forum, there are always "haters" who get a kick out of making negative and aggressive comments, and who are buoyed by the fact that they remain anonymous on the internet. Yes, there are many who tend to have too much time to waste, and as they say "an idle mind is the devil's playground", so these idle minds tend to spew out devilish comments. This is no different to the thousands of other forums on the net.

So, take the bad with the good - there are a few great commenters that have in depth knowledge about bangladesh cricket, and cricket in general. Some even have links with certain cricket people in high places. The fact that many people involved with BD cricket, and cricket at large, visit this site shows that our comments are valued.

tiger_omar
May 30, 2007, 01:10 AM
I have heard in other threads as well that BC used to be an amazing place before and I wish I could have experienced it. But I still think its a great place for all sorts of Bangladesh fans to voice their opinions and sometimes let out some anger :D

Also the reason I think there's so much hatred from BD fans recently is that before we weren't expected to win games so if we lost, even though we were disapointed, we knew it was coming and didn't get as angry. But now, after we've witnessed the team's potential and ability to beat almost any team on a good day, we get upset that we don't play to our capabilities. Some people express their anger in different ways and they are not always in a tasteful manner, so I can see where you are coming from.

BTW, good luck to the Sens.

Antora
May 30, 2007, 02:57 AM
BanglaCricket used to be an amazing place to spend one's leisure hours being enlightened about the happenings/developement of Bangladesh Cricket. More recently however, the credibility of BanglaCricket has gone down with increasing members in an inversely proportional relationship. BanglaCricket has taken on the unofficial name of HateCricket where people find entertainment in the form of prejudices, unconstructive and pointless criticisms of whomsoever is blessed with a reputation to uphold. The current trend is devoted to Bashar but Bashar isn't the only one to be criticized in such a manner. Prior to the Bashar bashing threads there were always the Mash bashing/Ash bashing threads. No Bangladeshi player or coaches with contributions to the country has been left not being "bashed" at. Bashar, Nafees, Pilot, Ashraful, Aftab, Rajin, Kapali, Omar, Rajib, Mehrab(jr.)- I need not provide the entire list: they are all players who got where they've gotten because of who they are! Nevertheless none of them has been spared by the selfish crowd so eager to demostrate their unappreciation that even the simplest goodwill gestures are agressively fought against and made a mockery out of that involves group harrassment and personally directed offensives toward individual members(Ironically, often toward members who have a reputation to uphold and/or significant contributions to the site.). Apparantly the general population in the site regards it an honour to be able to scrutinize and make fun of players. When there's nothing left to criticize they target trivial aspects including proficiency in english or the looks of the players' girlfriend. Mods are powerless to do anything about it and are alleged of being biased and misusing their power to suppress opinions. But what was one supposed to do when opinions come in the form- "I'll tell you whats wrong with sn...he's fat!!! (not gud to be fat) he has a stupid hair cut that does not look gud on him... ". Its nice to be relieved from having to be serious all the time but such is the magnitude of this infectious attitude of being ever-critical that its driving away the humble observers from entering the hatred dominated BanglaCricket forums. As Bangladesh Cricket dawns with the rise of a new era, BanglaCricket finds itself sinking amongst the ancestorially inherrited hatred in the form of prejudice towards our own kind that is ever so prevailent within my countrymen. Lets just hope the sample size at BanglaCricket does not truly reflect the entire population.

ok fine.. the comment i made about sn in that forum was totally supid and rediculous.. and i do appologise for that.:-| If my comments r really that stupid and because of me banglacricket is loosing its place then i am extreamly sorry. if this is the reason please tell me.. i shall remember not to post anything on bc again . ( hopefully that would make u pplz happy)

bulbul_fan
May 30, 2007, 03:18 AM
u r right...every player got bashed in bc!!

bulbul_fan
May 30, 2007, 03:18 AM
good thread!

bulbul_fan
May 30, 2007, 03:20 AM
ok fine.. the comment i made about sn in that forum was totally supid and rediculous.. and i do appologise for that.:-| If my comments r really that stupid and because of me banglacricket is loosing its place then i am extreamly sorry. if this is the reason please tell me.. i shall remember not to post anything on bc again . ( hopefully that would make u pplz happy)

antora...it is good that u apoloised but dont stopp posting pls...

BD-Shardul
May 30, 2007, 04:52 AM

It was neither stupid nor rediculous. It was perfect. Instead of saying overweight, you said 'fat'. Thats it. And I don't see any problem with accusing a player of being overweight.

metallian
May 30, 2007, 06:31 AM

Dude i think u r taking this way too seriously. this is a forum and in here people are entitled to their opinions and NOT praise our players all the time.

gatekeeper
May 30, 2007, 07:08 AM
BanglaCricket used to be an amazing place to spend one's leisure hours being enlightened about the happenings/developement of Bangladesh Cricket. .................................................. .................................................. ................................ within my countrymen. Lets just hope the sample size at BanglaCricket does not truly reflect the entire population.

I do share your sentiment to a large extent but you must appreciate that this is a fan based forum and fans will have unreal expectations at times. And BD fans are aome of the most passionate on earth. When these expectations are not met they will react. More often than not its a knee jerk kind. I am sure if you'd ask some of the posters after a while they would probably not feel the same way. What I do find objectionable at times in the open hostility to certain group of people, bordering on racism, dispalyed by some members.

Shafin
May 30, 2007, 10:40 AM
Visited indian sites after the WC defeat?

You do not know what hate is.Criticism and hate are two very different things,if you can not differentiate,you might as well stop to react.

And on the quality of the site,that depends on own view point,if you take scholarly posts as measure,they have increased in number but decreased in percentage,and if you take passion as measure,it's ever on the increase.

However,this thread might act as a safety valve for the Bashing people.

Protic
May 30, 2007, 12:31 PM
:) You gotta take things a bit less seriously my friend.

ottawaGuy
May 30, 2007, 03:45 PM
Please accept my appologies antora93, your initial comments had nothing wrong with them- nor am I going against any particular individual but rather against the group as a whole. Groups tend to have this element of shared responsibility which leaves one unaccountable of commiting irrational acts. One might be reluctant to set fire on to a bus but the same person would do so for no apparent reason given the circumstances that he's part of a mob- in that case it is the mob that had commited the act. Sorry again for using you as an example but I think it serves pretty well taking into consideration that although your post was completely acceptable, it triggered a whole bunch of other members to take the idea to an extreme and leave that thread a mess. Don't think I'm targetting one single thread- its become all too common with any BC threads. I agree that with higher expectations on the team we're bound to get a greater emotional output which might not always be positive. And yes, you need not remind me how our neighbors acted after the WC incident. But must we follow in that same path? (reminds me of the saying "Bokara ttheke shikhe, budhdhimaneyra dekhe shikhe") The odds nuts exist in all kinds of forum but instead of uniting and hating along with him wouldn't it be better to take a stand against him! Accuse me of being too serious but this is a reality check that things are starting to get out of hand. Banglacricket wouldn't have any spirit if it weren't for the sort of threads I'm protesting against. But its about time that people just ...gave it a rest.

*Hoping for the best with sens today!
*I will be changing my nick to waterlooGuy as I'm starting my studies at the University of Waterloo from fall onwards

Nocturnal
May 30, 2007, 03:51 PM

I'm sooo hoping the same today.....Go Sens Go. (NHL)

ottawaGuy
May 30, 2007, 04:02 PM
I'm sooo hoping the same today.....Go Sens Go. (NHL)
Indeed!

jay
May 30, 2007, 04:23 PM
It is kind of annoying when people go to far with bashing but if it's for a good reason then it's ok to release their anger through words......it gets you thinking more about the players..........
XxX...................Jay....................XxX

BD Tigers
May 30, 2007, 10:09 PM
completely agree w/ the thread opener. It used to be a great place where one can get good information abt BD players or games etc. But now its all abt BASHING somebody. I am ok with bashing as long as its logical. But when it becomes tasteless, its very hard to even write anything to protest it.

Nocturnal
May 31, 2007, 02:23 AM
Indeed!

damnn it.. Sens lost :mad:

Antora
May 31, 2007, 03:45 AM
Please accept my appologies antora93, your initial comments had nothing wrong with them- nor am I going against any particular individual but rather against the group as a whole. Groups tend to have this element of shared responsibility which leaves one unaccountable of commiting irrational acts. One might be reluctant to set fire on to a bus but the same person would do so for no apparent reason given the circumstances that he's part of a mob- in that case it is the mob that had commited the act. Sorry again for using you as an example but I think it serves pretty well taking into consideration that although your post was completely acceptable, it triggered a whole bunch of other members to take the idea to an extreme and leave that thread a mess. Don't think I'm targetting one single thread- its become all too common with any BC threads. I agree that with higher expectations on the team we're bound to get a greater emotional output which might not always be positive. And yes, you need not remind me how our neighbors acted after the WC incident. But must we follow in that same path? (reminds me of the saying "Bokara ttheke shikhe, budhdhimaneyra dekhe shikhe") The odds nuts exist in all kinds of forum but instead of uniting and hating along with him wouldn't it be better to take a stand against him! Accuse me of being too serious but this is a reality check that things are starting to get out of hand. Banglacricket wouldn't have any spirit if it weren't for the sort of threads I'm protesting against. But its about time that people just ...gave it a rest.

*I will be changing my nick to waterlooGuy as I'm starting my studies at the University of Waterloo from fall onwards

oh i c:-|
anyway appology accepted!!!!!!!!!!:D

fai_hasan
May 31, 2007, 04:28 AM
it doesn't sound good to hear critisim from a guy who has only 76 posts.

1. You don't spend enough time on bangla cricket
2. users have all the right to express themselved (ofcourse withing the limit)
3. this is a discussion forum, not a scerious board meeting room.

please refine yourself before talking ill about a forum or users.

Ehsan
May 31, 2007, 08:31 AM
OttawaGuy,

Right on the money! Well said.

Ehsan
May 31, 2007, 08:33 AM

He may be spending more time than you think. His observations does reflect that he spends enough time here, he may not be posting much though.

Tigers_eye
May 31, 2007, 09:55 AM
I disagree!! When our team wins we create threads like "so and so is better than Tendu". "i'll take so and so over Inzi". "So and so is the best Asian WK". Similar polarization is done when we lose. "We do not deserve test status" etc. That is the passion.

This is true not only for us but for all sports fan. You visit any sports forum (be it College football, bastketball, pro sports) you would see petitions for firing coaches with winning records. Why? Because everyone wants absolute best. The least they want is their team trying to perform at their best.

If you want to see only positive reports better stick to the newspapers editors column where they would sugar coat things. Waste ink on past glories.

The reason we have all this negative threads (bashing threads) is because we all know our team is so much better. Just by few decisions that the captain can take could have would have made so much different. We have been through the rough times. We have seen the ugly part already. When we play below our potential and hand wins to the opponents in silver tray the criticism will come hard.

If the greatest sportspersons in world can be criticized then kothakar Habibul Bashar? Past contributions? That surely can't be the reason of current failures.

Miraz
May 31, 2007, 10:07 AM
If the greatest sportspersons in world can be criticized then kothakar Habibul Bashar? Past contributions? That surely can't be the reason of current failures.

With all respect to T_E, I haven't expected this from you.

Last time I checked, this is a Bangladeshi cricket fan site. Habibu Bashar is arguably one of the best sports person of Bangladesh. He can be definitely criticized, but should be in a civilized manner.

And telling him kothakar Habibul Bashar is a bit too much.

To me, any Bangladeshi sports person occupies better place than any other sports great of the world.

No offense intended.

SS
May 31, 2007, 10:15 AM
I think HB will return proving his ability through performance rather through mercy of the selectors if he wants to....
Most probably he will play in leagues and start scoring. If he fails then selectors will automatically eliminate him. HB realized(or should realize) that to be in a team and not performing are putting the team in zeopardy. This is also true for other members of the current squad. Day by day the expectations and team performance are changing, those who can deal with it... will stay.

Tigers_eye
May 31, 2007, 10:15 AM
I understand your concern Miraz bhai.
With the names of greatest sportspersons he is a kothakar type of player. would not be in the first 10,000 list for sure. (Not just cricket). Seems like if we had a Tendu many fans would start worshiping.

WarWolf
May 31, 2007, 10:17 AM
I understand your concern Miraz bhai.
With the names of greatest sportspersons he is a kothakar type of player. would not be in the first 10,000 list for sure. (Not just cricket). Seems like if we had a Tendu many fans would start worshiping.

He is the greatest bangladeshi batsman so far. So I think he shouldn't be Kothakar ke for us.

Tigers_eye
May 31, 2007, 10:26 AM
He is the greatest bangladeshi batsman so far. So I think he shouldn't be Kothakar ke for us.
And i am not comparing against BD batsmen. Please reread my original post and try to understand what i was trying to say. Thank you.

ottawaGuy
May 31, 2007, 02:56 PM

You posted almost 10 times as many comments as i have but our start dates vary only by 2 months. You cannot assume I don't spend enough time here based on the number of times I hit "submit". To be more specific, I had been stalking this forum back from 2003. Only recently had I felt the need to join the forum to protest against some very unethical comments. Finally I would like to thank you! you summarized whatever I had to say in one line (point#2 from your original post).

I request anyone talking about Bashar to do so in the appropriate threads.

*The sens will fightback!

Sauron
June 1, 2007, 09:36 AM
And telling him kothakar Habibul Bashar is a bit too much.

Okay then, kushtia'r Habibul Bashar. Happy?

By the way, you misspelled your fav's name in the second paragraph. That's respect 101.

Anyway, I am really getting turned off at all this forced-respect culture. I am thankful for the few iconoclastic members in this forum - you guys make it worth coming back to. The few of you (you know who u r) - thanks for resisting the Orwellian (or should I say Mirazian) attempt to force respect for Ha Ba across the board.

I hope that some day these Ha Ba fans will be able to get beyond their individual worship and actually start thinking about the greater team that consists of more than just one player.

kothakar Habibul Bashar.

Ahmed_B
June 1, 2007, 10:01 AM
And some guys these days cant even make a post without bashing Habibul Bashar! Doesnt really matter for them what the thread-topic is. Pretty strange really!

Sauron
June 1, 2007, 02:07 PM
When there's nothing left to criticize they target trivial aspects including proficiency in english or the looks of the players' girlfriend. Mods are powerless to do anything about it and are alleged of being biased and misusing their power to suppress opinions. But what was one supposed to do when opinions come in the form- "I'll tell you whats wrong with sn...he's fat!!! (not gud to be fat) he has a stupid hair cut that does not look gud on him... ".

ottawaGuy,

most of your points are well made - expecially this bolded one ... funny comment, probably made by someone who is in his/her teens. Calling Chacha fat is okay because he is. But calling SN fat is just plain teenager anguish. Also being concerned about a cricketer's looks is same as analyzing the english speaking skill of players.

These are just silly comments and you have to just take it with a gulp of water and not get perturbed by it.

On the other hand, comments about Ha Ba are also a result of the anguish and agony that he made the fans go through. If we are feeling like this, I can only imagine what the players with postive attitude (e.g. Mashrafee, Ashraful, Saqib et al) felt like.

Of course some of the fans have better objectivity and/or anger-management skills than others. But not all of us can be objective (or more like abject) fans.

Remember, this is all on an internet forum. In the stadium, the spectators did us proud by not throwing things in to the field (remember eden gardens?) and by not hampering celebration of the indian fans. This is expected and I am very happy that it was the way it was. But for God's sake, if we cannot express our passion and anger here on the fans site, then where else?

Again, an objective fan is an abject fan. In other words, if you are objective, you are not a fan.

Sauron
June 1, 2007, 02:18 PM
And some guys these days cant even make a post without bashing Habibul Bashar! Doesnt really matter for them what the thread-topic is. Pretty strange really!

He had the worst all round performance in the team and he is the captain. Why is it strange then?

I can speak for myself - when Ash was going through his lean patch, I never was a part of bashing him. It was his individual performance and he wasn't dragging the team down with him as much as Bashar is. Also at least to me it was apparent that he wants to do well and he was going through a struggle. Then he was dropped to regroup. Now look at him. He did not come out to the media and proclaimed that he is not getting recognized for all the great things he did for BD.

Anyway, I am sorry that I cannot treat things as snapshots. The highs and lows of world cup and then the missed opportunities in the latest ODI series and the first test and then the pathetic 2nd test - it is all a continuum of things.

Ha Ba statistically is still the best test batsman BD has. But lately he is not. He has never been a great captain but lately he has been a sad character. If he is batting well, he surely can play as a batsman in either team. But the worse he bats, the more his captaincy degrades. For his own sake, he needs to give up captaincy and concentrate on batting.

I really hope Bashar realizes the ignominy of clinging onto something for his sole benefit at the risk of sinking the team. Obviously some of the BC members don't.

Farhad
June 1, 2007, 03:13 PM
Well said Ottawaguy...:up:

"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
- Adlai E. Stevenson

Miraz
June 1, 2007, 05:21 PM
O...... - thanks for resisting the Orwellian (or should I say Mirazian) attempt to force respect for Ha Ba across the board.

Here's some Sauronian view

in BanglaCricket Best of the Year Awards - 2006
Best Member(s) of the Year -
------------

Miraz (Prolific poster - and best of all, the posts make sense all the time)
------------------

and

........ your pacifist posts and analysis makes the BC members / fans look gutless and mindless. I can say unequivocally that your match "reports" and "analyses" and posts do not resonate with my thoughts at all.

No comments.

Ahmed_B
June 1, 2007, 05:40 PM
He had the worst all round performance in the team and he is the captain. Why is it strange then?
Trust me... its really very strange!
No matter what the thread topic is ... some people somehow bring Bashar in their posts and start bashing him! Just like 'gorur rochona' all the time.

This is a thread on BC's recent aggressive mode in general (criticizing all the player-bashings all over)... yet somehow some ppl could not resist to start bashing HB here too! Very strange indeed!

Sauron
June 1, 2007, 06:00 PM
Here's some Sauronian view
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 1px">Originally Posted by Sauron
in BanglaCricket Best of the Year Awards - 2006
Best Member(s) of the Year -
------------

Miraz (Prolific poster - and best of all, the posts make sense all the time)
------------------

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->and
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 1px">Originally Posted by Sauron
........ your pacifist posts and analysis makes the BC members / fans look gutless and mindless. I can say unequivocally that your match "reports" and "analyses" and posts do not resonate with my thoughts at all.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
No comments.

:D You've been researching! Wow ... impressive. You made me laugh at myself.

All I can say is - that was then and this is now. Or, in other words - that was 2006 and this is 2007.

You obviously started nicely ... but then Bashar came into your life ... and the rest is history ;)

Keep it up.

Zobair
June 1, 2007, 06:02 PM
Here are my two cents.

Posters are getting less tolerant and judgemental- when criticizing fellow posters (lots of personal insults and attacks) and of course when discussing our team's performance. Almost every thread has at least one poster going (and I paraphrase) "this thread sucks"..."its a waste of time/space"..mocking the thread openers...sarcasm galore!

It is tempting to keep talking about how good BC used to be in the past. As the site grows in popularity more and more people will come to Banglacricket. As the team gets better more and more people will want to be associated with the winners! We will get all types of people. Some with deep knowledge of the game and of Bangladesh cricket and others who just about learnt the game yesterday. It's unfair to expect everyone to present themselves in a thoughtful and stimulating manner. We will have people posting in different "speaks"/lingos.

I would urge those members who are disillusioned with the forum because they wish for more intellectual depth in the discussions to play a more positive role. Shed your sarcasm and your cynicism and take the lead. Make positive and thought-provoking threads and posts. It is best to not waste your time posting responses like..."this thread sucks" etc. and instead ignore the threads that are not worthy of response and move on.

As mods, perhaps the time has come to tighten the reins once again. It is a fine line between moderating people's opinions and the right to express oneself, and keeping the quality of forum at an acceptable level.

Sauron
June 1, 2007, 06:04 PM
Trust me... its really very strange!
No matter what the thread topic is ... some people somehow bring Bashar in their posts and start bashing him! Just like 'gorur rochona' all the time.

This is a thread on BC's recent aggressive mode in general (criticizing all the player-bashings all over)... yet somehow some ppl could not resist to start bashing HB here too! Very strange indeed!

Okay, it appears strange to you.

But 90% (don't go researching this number, Miraz) of the bashing lately have been about Bashar. So naturally he pops up in this thread. And once he does, naturally the bashing begins.

Farhad
June 1, 2007, 06:07 PM
:yawn: Here we go again...Ironic that an argument starts in this particular thread.

Sauron
June 1, 2007, 06:10 PM
I think Sauron got PWNT this time.

Miraz 1 - 0 Sauron

I have to grudgingly agree :D. That kid is sleek (compliment, really.)

As I said - that was then, and this is now.

Obviously I liked his writing (sans Ha Ba). But then Bashar came in his life. And now all the forced-respect for Bashar. Rokhkhok zokhon vokhkhok ... ;)

ottawaGuy
June 1, 2007, 06:20 PM
I have to hand it to you Sauron, nice points raised! You had expressed your opinion, captured the critics and more importantly did so in a rather civilised manner. I have nothing against such comments (even if they oppose my own opinion) neigther do I object against the form of writing being used, however informal, and I enjoy the few witty jokes that come along the way. My protest is against "hating". Yes hatred is a feeling and you must express it. But there's more than one way to express disappointment/annoyance as you have just shown.
A reminder again that there are specific threads allotted to the pro/anti-bashar'ists. It would be wise if you spend your effort posting there where more people are likely to take notice!

Nocturnal
June 1, 2007, 06:24 PM
Here are my two cents.

Posters are getting less tolerant and judgemental- when criticizing fellow posters (lots of personal insults and attacks) and of course when discussing our team's performance. Almost every thread has at least one poster going (and I paraphrase) "this thread sucks"..."its a waste of time/space"..mocking the thread openers...sarcasm galore!

It is tempting to keep talking about how good BC used to be in the past. As the site grows in popularity more and more people will come to Banglacricket. As the team gets better more and more people will want to be associated with the winners! We will get all types of people. Some with deep knowledge of the game and of Bangladesh cricket and others who just about learnt the game yesterday. It's unfair to expect everyone to present themselves in a thoughtful and stimulating manner. We will have people posting in different "speaks"/lingos.

I would urge those members who are disillusioned with the forum because they wish for more intellectual depth in the discussions to play a more positive role. Shed your sarcasm and your cynicism and take the lead. Make positive and thought-provoking threads and posts. It is best to not waste your time posting responses like..."this thread sucks" etc. and instead ignore the threads that are not worthy of response and move on.

As mods, perhaps the time has come to tighten the reins once again. It is a fine line between moderating people's opinions and the right to express oneself, and keeping the quality of forum at an acceptable level.

Very good pints.I wish I could post like this one.
People plz read this one and think .....and act (maybe).

Miraz
June 1, 2007, 06:31 PM
:D You've been researching! Wow ... impressive. You made me laugh at myself.

All I can say is -............. Or, in other words - that was 2006 and this is 2007.

I have no intention to do research on your posts.

Razab bhai posted the link of that thread in Pick your favourite BC member! (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=21726) thread, just clicked on the link and found the post.

BTW, the post date was Januray 5 2007. :)

ammark
June 1, 2007, 07:04 PM
Been spectating this thread for quite a while now, and I agree with OttawaGuy.

But just a comment on Bashar and JO bashing:

- many of us members (billah, imtiaz, me, among many) have criticised his captaincy and attitude from prior to the world cup. But we never brought hateful comments. Our criticism was specific to his on field captaincy, and intelligence.

- Then came his slump in form, and it was more evident that he was (is) slowing our otherwise awesome team down big time. In chatrooms and elsewhere the reflection is of Bashar the captain has frustrated us more often than not, and his batting has only exposed the need for his removal. Many of us have been saying he should relegate himself to the domestic leagues and play it out, improve and then earn his spot on the national team

- Miraz Bhai's pro-bashar bulletin in the mid-end stages of the World Cup did definitely strike up a nerve because it was perceptibly a representation of overall BanglaCricket's blind support to Bashar, contrary to all the criticism we were heaping on him in the forums. I'd give that the benefit of the doubt, because clearly Bashar has demonstrated that he hasnt improved since then and all the blind support was no longer sustainable.

Look at Miraz Bhai's latest opinion piece that has been posted on front page as article on the change thats needed in bangladeshi cricket team, captaincy, and structure... and I daresay we can see more objectivity now, or perhaps a re-assessment of all thats glorious of Bashar. I commend Miraz Bhai for making these reassessments and publishing the accounts separately afterwards, instead of sticking blindly, crediting someone who demonstrably doesnt deserve all of it.

Thus, here's where I disagree with Sauron's sustained argument with Miraz Bhai. Let bygones be bygones, instead of inflaming passions exponentially.

- Criticism of JO has historically been on the effect his batting has on the rest of the team in the matches. Criticism has also been on his LACK of a good technique and the tremendous limitations his playing has.

- Criticism of Ash was done when he was between the eids. We called for his relegation to domestic cricket to improve. And look, thats somewhat what has happened, and now he's showing results

- In regards to SN, the constructive approach might be the same thus : if he doesnt belong in the national team, then go back to a level below and improve! Earn your spot back in the team!

But outright emotional, irrational, hateful speech often in match threads, and post match anger-venting is really very disappointing. I acknowledge the difficulty mods will have to control 500 odd members coming online at the same time of which many would post emotionally charged irrational hatespeech. Maybe the mods should time to time Make a public announcement reminding members to tone down their blind hate.

Hatebreed
June 1, 2007, 07:30 PM
Good post ammark, I agree with you to most extent.

Zobair
June 1, 2007, 07:35 PM
ammar...nicely put.

ottawaGuy
June 1, 2007, 07:55 PM
This thread is starting to get really ironic! more so because of the part from my original post provided below
....that even the simplest goodwill gestures are agressively fought against and made a mockery out of that involves group harrassment and personally directed offensives toward individual members(Ironically, often toward members who have a reputation to uphold and/or significant contributions to the site....
Part of this stood for the mass miraj bashing that took place when the bashar bashing trend had started to decline! Since demoralizing Bashar wasn't enough to settle the anger- the passionate crowd underwent direct offensives on the bashar supporters. Such was the level of intimidation that the editors latest articles can be considered biased AGAINST Bashar!

Tintin
June 1, 2007, 08:01 PM
This thread is starting to get really ironic! more so because of the part from my original post provided below

Part of this stood for the mass miraj bashing that took place when the bashar bashing trend had started to decline! Since demoralizing Bashar wasn't enough to settle the anger- the passionate crowd underwent direct offensives on the bashar supporters. Such was the level of intimidation that the editors latest articles can be considered biased AGAINST Bashar!

Miraz's article on the HB's decision to bowl (if that is one that you mean here) was written on/after the second day of the Test and preceded the tribute thread.

No comment to make (at least, openly !) on the opinion that you have expressed, though.

ottawaGuy
June 1, 2007, 08:02 PM
Agreed ammark!

ottawaGuy
June 1, 2007, 08:04 PM
Tintin, miraj bashing dates back before the tribute thread. Awaiting confirmation from the man himself!

ammark
June 1, 2007, 10:37 PM
Miraz's article on the HB's decision to bowl (if that is one that you mean here) was written on/after the second day of the Test and preceded the tribute thread.

No comment to make (at least, openly !) on the opinion that you have expressed, though.

Tintin, this http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=20182 thread is the background for some of the brouhaha

Hatebreed
June 1, 2007, 10:48 PM
Tintin, this http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=20182 thread is the background for some of the bruhaha

Nice dig! That thread, especially the title is a classic by Miraz bhai. :smug:

Zunaid
June 1, 2007, 11:01 PM
A comment here.

Nothing published on BC as article or column should be construed to reflect BC's opinion and nothing should be construed as an OP-ED piece. The "title" BC Editor may be a red-herring because the title is used to explain the role played by that particular volunteer in editing article and column submissions.

Bulletins are to be factual renditions of events as they occur and that particular case highlighted was an one off outlier that will not recur.

Any comments form BC Volunteers (also known as staffs) et al regarding cricket, cricketers and intelligent design are solely their own views and should never be considered official views of BC.

Tintin
June 1, 2007, 11:24 PM
Any comments form BC Volunteers (also known as staffs) et al regarding cricket, cricketers and intelligent design are solely their own views and should never be considered official views of BC.

You are damn good at choosing just the right word(s) :)

layperson
June 1, 2007, 11:28 PM

This is exactly how I interpret the whole situation and have done so since the beginnning. Fans can have difference of opinion and I take articles or bulletins written by individuals as their opinion or their perspective on the issue. I did not agree with Miraz bhai's stance about Bashar earlier but I do not think I raised any bruhaha about this because that was his opinion and mine was different than his just like many others. You cannot separate a person from his own perspective and every individual's writing is bound to reflect to some extent what he or she thinks about the issue no matter how hard they try to project otherwise. It is not a crime but just an intrinsic human nature.

layperson
June 1, 2007, 11:33 PM
Btw, since I have posted on this thread I might as well put my two cents on the thread topic itself. Personally I do not agree at all with the first post made by Ottawa guy in this thread. If everyone was intellectually at a similar level then the world and in this case the forum would be a very monotonous place to be. HOwever I do agree that there needs to be a limit to the level of idiotic threads we see and for that I think the moderators need to be open minded and enforce fairly strictly but not to the point of being anal.

Rabz
June 2, 2007, 12:20 AM
I think we all need to take a chill pill here.
We are all humans after all...arent we??

Things are being said a lots of time, but not really meant.
Expression of frustation, prejudice and bigotry were made, but not with sincerity.

Yes, the grade of BC is fluctuating a lot lately, but isnt it all part of growing up?
A year or so ago, we used to have only a handful number of regular posters and hence the variety was less as well.
Like BD cricket, BC has grown immensely over the time and its only natural that more and more views, opinions and thoughts are to be input here.
Whether we like it or not is a personal choice.

There is not a single player in the BD camp who has not been elated to the cloud no 9 only to be dropped hard and fast on his bottom.
Hec even Mashrafee was once subjected of bribe issue by one of our members.
Now he surely didnt mean it..did he?? it was a mere frustation.
( Zim incident last year).
But now, He is the Man of the Moment.

Let us see the brighter side of life and everything.
Let us be positive.
Lets hope for the best and carry on.
Shall we?

Miraz
June 2, 2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks ammark, nicely put.

Have to somehow agree with ottowaguy, Regardless of what I post, few members (2-3 to be exact) prefer attacking me personally. Anyway, that's their personal choice.

As ammark pointed out, the pro-Bashar bulletin during the mid stage of World Cup is the only one (out of about 70) published by me. At that point the message of the bulletin was to condemn effigy burning and support the captain of Bangladesh team in the middle of a crucial tournament. NOT the person Bashar.

Zunaid bhai already clarified " Bulletins are to be factual renditions of events as they occur", they are not opinion pieces.

Recently I have published two opinion pieces " When whim dominates common sense (http://banglacricket.com/html/article.php?item=461) " and " Ray of Light: Bangladesh cricket at the crossroads: change of vision required to raise the bar (http://banglacricket.com/html/column.php?item=462) ", where I conveyed my thoughts about Bashar, his decision making and the direction to move on.

There is nothing to be blind, but blind people see everything same. It will be better if they stay away from Chewbacca defense, if they can't, nothing really changes.

ottawaGuy
June 2, 2007, 11:38 PM
In reply to sydniy & layprson, I quote myself
... Accuse me of being too serious but this is a reality check that things are starting to get out of hand. Banglacricket wouldn't have any spirit if it weren't for the sort of threads I'm protesting against. But its about time that people just ...gave it a rest.

Credit goes to the mods for doing a great job enforcing rules whilest not being anal but as amark suggested- it is not easy moderating the 500 or so members at BC. Best way to deal with it: raising awareness within the members themselves. That is what has been the point to this thread(my appologies if it seems pointless to you). I appologize once more as this thread does not hold much relevance to Bangladesh Cricket but I figured it deserves the exposure.

mac
June 3, 2007, 02:14 AM
observing a nice debate.....

Sovik
June 4, 2007, 06:18 AM
its not that we are just criticizing, we have praised every good effort of bashar in the past. same goes for ash, mash and golla