PDA

View Full Version : News Just in : Ashraful Captain, Mashrafee Vice-captain

napoleonIV
June 2, 2007, 09:12 AM
NTV--te ei matro khobor dilo....

napoleonIV
June 2, 2007, 09:14 AM
Guys..thread heading kibhabe change kora jai bujtesina.....spelling mistake ta thik kora dorkar

Anher
June 2, 2007, 09:17 AM
only moderator can change the thread heading after posting as far as i know.

is it 1 captain for both test and ODi or different?

SideWinder
June 2, 2007, 09:19 AM
brilliant ... just what i wanted. two of our greatest players...

mali007
June 2, 2007, 09:23 AM
Dream comes true!!!! It will be new era of BD cricket leadership. Good luck for both WONDERBOY & PAGLA.

cricketlvr
June 2, 2007, 09:23 AM
yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just what i wanted too!!!!!

Ehsan
June 2, 2007, 09:28 AM
My heartfelt congrats to Ashraful and Mashrafe. Hope you two can turn around things for BD cricket. Go TIGERS!

Anher
June 2, 2007, 09:28 AM
I praise them and hopefully they will add new dimension in our cricket.
আশা করি "সম্মানজনক পরাজয়" অধ্যায়ের অফিসিয়ালি একানেই সমাপ্তি।

Ehsan
June 2, 2007, 09:30 AM
Thread title fixed.

FagunerAgun
June 2, 2007, 09:33 AM
The Old is replaced by the New. Great news! :flag:
Move on, boys, now it is your show time.:great:

Congrats, boys!

Luvlee_nik
June 2, 2007, 09:33 AM
not good enough...........we still have him in the team :(

sensible
June 2, 2007, 09:34 AM
good luck to our new captain and vice-captain.

Kabir
June 2, 2007, 09:36 AM
Bessiiiii jouseeeeeee josi premmmmmmm :fire:

napoleonIV
June 2, 2007, 09:37 AM
only moderator can change the thread heading after posting as far as i know.

is it 1 captain for both test and ODi or different?

For both Test and ODIs.

Luvlee_nik
too bad he is still in the team, its like having an irritating loser person follow ur group around throwing out fake smiles very 5 seconds, and ur best friend hu is her firned duznt notice $h!t

Warlock
Great News! Hope these guys will start a new era for BD cricket.

Hatebreed
June 2, 2007, 09:38 AM
Fatafati news. Ajke mishti khetei hobe!

damalChele
June 2, 2007, 09:40 AM
After their first match there will be countless amount of ash & mash bashing threads...
We are very emotional fans,aint we?

nannu
June 2, 2007, 09:40 AM
not good enough...........we still have him in the team :(

that is not sure, this meeting was about selecting the captain. this wasnt about selecting a team for next tour. by the way is that your own eye? nice one really.nannu ( the eye catcher)

nasimul
June 2, 2007, 09:44 AM
Good luck to Aash and Mash for their new role in BD cricket. It is a big responsiblity on them now and hope I they will justify their nomination.

nasimul
June 2, 2007, 09:46 AM
After their first match there will be countless amount of ash & mash bashing threads...
Very much possible....

FagunerAgun
June 2, 2007, 09:46 AM

That's why we love our team soooo much after so many humiliating defeats.:floor:

cricket_pagol
June 2, 2007, 09:49 AM
Congrats to Ashraful and Mashrafee!!! I am very excited :)

Orion
June 2, 2007, 09:51 AM
yeah...congrats...good luck!

FagunerAgun
June 2, 2007, 09:51 AM
Nannu bhai--nice and romantic picture of rikshaw.

Bangla prem-rikshaw prem mone koria dichhen..

Thanks a lot.

MohammedC
June 2, 2007, 09:54 AM
congartulation to Ashraful

nasimul
June 2, 2007, 09:55 AM
ওয়ানডে দলের অধিনায়কত্ব নিজে থেকেই ছেড়ে দিয়েছিলেন হাবিবুল বাশার। একরকম জানাই ছিল, সে জায়গায় আসছেন মোহাম্মদ আশরাফুল। তবে টেস্ট দলের নেতৃত্বেও হাবিবুলের ওপর আস্থা রাখা ঠিক মনে করেননি নির্বাচকরা। তাই বিসিবির একটু আগের ঘোষণা অনুযায়ী বাংলাদেশের টেস্ট ও ওয়ানডে --- দু দলের অধিনায়কেরই নাম এখন মোহাম্মদ আশরাফুল। দু দলেই তার ডেপুটি মাশরাফি বিন মর্তুজা। আগামী সেপ্টেম্বরে দক্ষিণ আফ্রিকায় অনুষ্ঠেয় টুয়েন্টি টুয়েন্টি বিশ্বকাপ পর্যন্ত দায়িত্ব দেয়া হয়েছে তাদের। Bdnews24

nasimul
June 2, 2007, 09:57 AM
Bangladesh's coach will be Shaun Williams, his deputy will be Sarwar Imran, and Ali Asif Khan is to play the role of manager.

Ehsan
June 2, 2007, 09:59 AM
Nasimul bro, please use bangla tag while using bangla fonts or else it appears too small.

For bangla tage all you have to do is put the following in the begining of the bangla font:

["bangla"]

and the following at the end"

[/"bangla"]

Use it without the quotes. I used the quotes here just to show you.

If your font is too small, you could also manually increase the size of the font.

Thanks.

Zobair
June 2, 2007, 10:00 AM
Congratulations to Ashraful and Mashrafee. Hopefully both will be given long enough ropes to hang themselves with.

ZaKi
June 2, 2007, 10:04 AM
great news....congrat Ashraful & Mashrafee..... :)

patriot
June 2, 2007, 10:05 AM
Hope captaincy doesn't affect Ashraful's Batting.

taklima_naj
June 2, 2007, 10:07 AM
Good luck to the new dimension of Bangladesh cricket.

Rabz
June 2, 2007, 10:07 AM
Congrats to both Ash and Mash.
With the new responsibility, hope One can burn the bowlers into ashes while the other can mash the batsmen into little squashed potatoes.

This will mark a new era of our cricket.

Once again, Congrats to both.

Sohel
June 2, 2007, 10:09 AM
:applause: :applause: :applause: ... ALHAMDULILLAH !

the new era begins. GIVE 'EM HELL MASHRAFUL !!! :bighug:

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 10:12 AM
Reality check:

The team is still the same,you might see some change in the field placing,but the bowling is pretty much the same,so no time to jump with joy yet.

Sohel
June 2, 2007, 10:16 AM
Reality check:

The team is still the same,you might see some change in the field placing,but the bowling is pretty much the same,so no time to jump with joy yet.

i thought the team won't be officially announced 'til the 4th...

Sohel
June 2, 2007, 10:17 AM
I praise them and hopefully they will add new dimension in our cricket.
আশা করি "সম্মানজনক পরাজয়" অধ্যায়ের অফিসিয়ালি একানেই সমাপ্তি।

hear, hear.

SideWinder
June 2, 2007, 10:19 AM

Or whats there of his batting: 24 average.

Go_Bangladesh
June 2, 2007, 10:20 AM
great news, this is a positive move by BCB, I hope ash and mash respond to the responsibility

Kabir
June 2, 2007, 10:25 AM
Bangladesh's coach will be Shaun Williams, his deputy will be Sarwar Imran, and Ali Asif Khan is to play the role of manager.

Source?

Farhad
June 2, 2007, 10:28 AM
Source?

BDnews24. Best of luck to the whole bunch of them...

bangla786
June 2, 2007, 10:29 AM
Looking forward to see tamim in both odi n test!:big_hug: :big_hug:

sar2005
June 2, 2007, 10:31 AM
This is indeed a good news for BD cricket. We have two fighters match winners taken the responsibility and definitely the two will bring many more wins for Bangladesh.

A big CONGRATULATIONS to both Mash and Ash. But what happened to Bash?

Kabir
June 2, 2007, 10:33 AM
BDnews24. Best of luck to the whole bunch of them...

Thanks. Just wondering how come there isn't a thread on this. BDnews24 is usually a little late in reporting the news. Just surprised that no other news channels mentioned it.

Farhad
June 2, 2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks. Just wondering how come there isn't a thread on this. BDnews24 is usually a little late in reporting the news. Just surprised that no other news channels mentioned it.

Yeah, wondering that myself actually. Can one of the mods change the title of this thread to fit that in as well?

PoorFan
June 2, 2007, 10:38 AM
Selectors picked the right guys for Captain & VC. Now like to see the right team selection too ( drop oldies ). Congrats Ash & Mash, and wish all the best.

Imtiazk
June 2, 2007, 10:39 AM
I know I am on my own here, but I would have preferred Murtaza as the captain. People are going gaga about Ashraful's field placing ! Yes, compared to Bashar's ultra defensive mode, anything is an improvement but when you allow Gangu and Tendy countless free runs on the leg side, you need to think a bit. The short-leg was fine, the silly point was fine. But for over 10 overs ? Plus a short extra cover !

Ashraful blew it , in my opinion, with his 41 ball 67. I was there watching it. Great entertainment ! But was that the manner to play it at that time. Frankly, a 100 ball 67 was needed. What is great about losing inside 3 days. We lost 20 wickets in just over a day. Someone has to take responsibility.

Murtaza ever since his World Cup 37 has shown the correct attitude and temperament. His 79 and 70 were both class knocks. The shots went along the carpet with a straight bat. However, when he went after the bad ball, the ball stayed hit. The responsibility will have done him good.

To me, he shows a greater understanding of the game. And he clearly has a head on his shoulders. With Ashraful, I think, everyone his hoping that with the burden of captaincy he just might grow up. Well, let's wait and see . Bashar never learned. He still played the same stupid shots.

TigerRoar
June 2, 2007, 10:42 AM
Fellow Tigers,

I dont agree with this appointment. I mean what is Ashraful? Is he made captain just because of that one inning against Australia? Is our Bangla standard so low that we can not find a smart guy in team to be captain?

Ashraful is a carefree player how can we expect him to lead the team skillfully?

Omio
June 2, 2007, 10:43 AM
Lets see whats happen after 1 year..

WarWolf
June 2, 2007, 10:48 AM
I feel so happy. Best of luck guys.

Farhad
June 2, 2007, 10:49 AM
I
Murtaza ever since his World Cup 37 has shown the correct attitude and temperament. His 79 and 70 were both class knocks. The shots went along the carpet with a straight bat. However, when he went after the bad ball, the ball stayed hit. The responsibility will have done him good.

To me, he shows a greater understanding of the game. And he clearly has a head on his shoulders. With Ashraful, I think, everyone his hoping that with the burden of captaincy he just might grow up. Well, let's wait and see . Bashar never learned. He still played the same stupid shots.

I agree with you on some counts. Although, i can hardly say that their knocks as batsmen should play any role in their appointment of captaincy. Mash might have shown some temperament in the way he played the other day, but that doesnt mean he'd be a great captain. You need to think about field placements, powerplays and all sorts of other things. I think Ashrafuls aggressive attittude is exactly what we need right now...

Deadzone
June 2, 2007, 10:50 AM
Itz nice to c ashraful as captain buh dnt ya all think hez a young gun to do the captaincy ! And About Mashrafe i think he needed more tym cuz most of da tym hez injured. But overall itz a gud dicision by BCB. Hope ashraful doent lose his performance under pressure !

Nafi
June 2, 2007, 10:50 AM
I told you guys I'M ALWAYS RIGHT.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=464312#post464312

Dhakablues
June 2, 2007, 10:51 AM
Fellow Tigers,

I dont agree with this appointment. I mean what is Ashraful? Is he made captain just because of that one inning against Australia? Is our Bangla standard so low that we can not find a smart guy in team to be captain?

Ashraful is a carefree player how can we expect him to lead the team skillfully?

Yes it is that bad.... who else wouldve been the captain? Obviously, the status quo wasnt working. Besides Ashraful, you dont have a player who can lead the team as they themselves are in question about their place in the squad. We see a spark here and there but the bottomline is Bangladesh is not at a level where you have half world class players and seniority from which you can choose captains. It was required that we change course and let Ashraful be serious about his responsibilites. We need Shahrier Nafis to get back int eh rythem for the team's sake and hence he cant be the captain. Ashraful has always seen as the person who is engaging others, played significant role in every famous wins... him with Mashrafee are the the only two players in the squad that the opposition team fears and admires the most.

Zobair
June 2, 2007, 10:53 AM
Well Imtiaz, if Ash proves to be a dud then Mash is the next in line.

Kabir
June 2, 2007, 10:54 AM
Ashraful blew it , in my opinion, with his 41 ball 67. I was there watching it. Great entertainment ! But was that the manner to play it at that time. Frankly, a 100 ball 67 was needed...

Very good argument. If you ask any of the more cool headed fans, they'll tell you the same. I was talking to an ex-selector a couple of days ago, and he mentioned the same thing.

But another thing is...it could be what you experience when you walk down the slope. It takes little courage for you to withstand the gravitational pull, and so you walk faster in the slope. This is what I think happened to Ashraful.

To me, [Murtoza] shows a greater understanding of the game. And he clearly has a head on his shoulders. With Ashraful, I think, everyone his hoping that with the burden of captaincy he just might grow up.

Some thoughts here. Murtoza is actually an aggressive player. And it's very good that his aggression works in most cases. Alhamdulillah. But don't you think aggression will not always generate the same result every time?

I don't mean to say that aggression isn't necessary. What I mean is, too much of anything isn't good. Beeing too defensive isn't good, and having too much aggression isn't good either. Mashrafee is good the way he is, for the position he is in. He's a strike bowler, and he needs to be aggressive. But to lead the team with the same momentum will be a bit tricky. I would say, 75% of his aggression, and 25% of Ashraful's cricketing knowledge will probably make a huge impact in the match results.

Bashar never learned. He still played the same stupid shots.

Actually, Bashar was once the classiest batsman we had. It's just NOW that he is seriously out of form. The question isn't about his shot selection...but it's about his field placement and overall approach.

Ahmed_B
June 2, 2007, 10:57 AM
[বাংলা]খাইছে! আশরাফুলরে ক্যাপ্টেন বানায়া দিল! এখন তো সে আর সেই বিখ্যাত 'বেঙ্গি ড্যান্স' দিতে পারবে না! ক্যাপ্টেনকে তো একটু গম্ভীর থাকতেই হয়! বেচারা![/বাংলা] :)

Kabir
June 2, 2007, 11:00 AM
[বাংলা]খাইছে! আশরাফুলরে ক্যাপ্টেন বানায়া দিল! এখন তো সে আর সেই বিখ্যাত 'বেঙ্গি ড্যান্স' দিতে পারবে না! ক্যাপ্টেনকে তো একটু গম্ভীর থাকতেই হয়! বেচারা![/বাংলা] :)

Oh no...eita ki bollen Ahmed bhai...taile r khela dekhe laab ki??? :hairpull:

Mahmood
June 2, 2007, 11:09 AM
A hearfull thanks to Bashar for filling in untill we find a real captain. He has done his best.

I am very happy to see finally Mashrafee given the chance, he will be the best captain of Bangladesh ever, when his time comes. Untill then, I hope Ash does a great job to turn us into world's top 5.

Kabir
June 2, 2007, 11:13 AM
I am very happy to see finally Mashrafee given the chance, he will be the best captain of Bangladesh ever, when his time comes. Untill then, I hope Ash does a great job to turn us into world's top 5.

I could see this coming. Mahmood bhai has always wanted Mashrafee as the captain...and everyone argued against it. Now I gess things are taking shape.

Mahmood bhai...since you could foresee the future, please tell me what will happen to me at the end of this year after completing masters...chakri hobe to? :-/

rah
June 2, 2007, 11:15 AM
For both Test and ODIs.

u sure bout test matches bruv, cos bashar sed he gave up the odi captaincy

PoorFan
June 2, 2007, 11:23 AM
Since Ash & Mash are almost same aged and both are match winner for BD, there will good balance and check in teams leading, decision making unlike till now. Hope they respect and help each other, and bring us new era of BD cricket. Good luck Ash & Mash!

Zobair
June 2, 2007, 11:24 AM
u sure bout test matches bruv, cos bashar sed he gave up the odi captaincy

Look here:

http://www.thedailystar.net/latest/updates.php?pid=11

layperson
June 2, 2007, 11:32 AM
Very good news. This means that Bashar is out of the team in all forms of the game if he is not performing. I have absolutely no problem if he can come back to the team as a batsman but I do not see that happening. He is done and over with. Now we need to find two more good quality fast bowlers and a leg spinner and then the cricket world will be ours to reign.

amra_korbo_joy
June 2, 2007, 11:50 AM
Exciting news. We will see big difference in test. He will be setting more attacking fielding in the test. This will be good.

JamesBond
June 2, 2007, 11:58 AM
Shain Williams is the new coach.. didnt know that

mali007
June 2, 2007, 11:58 AM
Normaly consistent batsman when given captaincy become INCONSISTENT . Ashraful
was an inconsistent batsman as a player -------- may be he will be CONSISTENT batsman
as a captain.

cricketboy
June 2, 2007, 11:59 AM
Great news ! Selectors took the bold but right decision. :)

zulfiqer
June 2, 2007, 12:02 PM
here is cricinfo news

Ashraful named Bangladesh captain

Cricinfo staff

June 2, 2007

Over to you skipper: Mohammad Ashraful will be a young captain leading a young team © AFP

Mohammad Ashraful has been named Bangladesh's new captain in both forms of the game. He replaces Habibul Bashar who stood down as one-day captain following the series against India, but had indicated his wish to remain in charge of the Test side. However, the board have decided on a clean break and, at 22, Ashraful becomes one of the youngest captains in the international game.

Ashraful's first assignment will be a three-Test and three-match ODI series against Sri Lanka later this month and he'll also lead the side at the Twenty20 World Championships, in South Africa, during September. Mashrafe Mortaza, Bangladesh's leading pace bowler who also enjoyed success with the bat against India, has been named as Ashraful's vice-captain.

Ashraful's coach on the tour of Sri Lanka will be Shaun Williams, the Australian who has been in charge of the successful Under-19 side, following Dave Whatmore's departure after the India series. The board plan to name Whatmore's long-term successor following the series in Sri Lanka.

"With his [Ashraful's] captaincy, Bangladesh cricket enters a new era," said a BCB spokesman. "The board is confident Ashraful will lead by example and take the country's cricket to a new height. He is a talented batsman and has all the abilities to be a very good leader."

Despite a Test and ODI averages of 24 and 21 respectively Ashraful is one of Bangladesh's key players. He hit the headlines in 2001 by becoming the youngest Test century-maker and was Bangladesh's leading run-scorer during the World Cup in West Indies. Against South Africa he hit an 83-ball 87, which was central to the team's memorable Super Eight victory.

However, his finest moment came at Cardiff, in 2005, when he hit 100 to guide Bangladesh towards a famous victory over Australia in the Natwest Series. But each time his game has appeared ready to move to the next level his inconsistency, and impetuosity, has reared its head. Now he has the added responsibility of having to lead by example

Pundit
June 2, 2007, 12:02 PM
Kabir has summed up everything the best.

I have one question - Why do you not see many bowlers as captain?

Imran Khan - a fine one, but he is a different story
Kapil Dev - a successful one because of '83, but was he a good captain?
S Pollock - A failure
Bob Willis - Somewhat successful
I Botham - A failure. He was more of a stop-gap.
Sobers - He was more of a batsman
Tony Lewis - Not so bad for England
Wasim Akram - Good in '99, but had too many lapses
Waqar Younus - A failure

Besides Imran Khan, you will see that most capitulated due to stress factors.

RezOne
June 2, 2007, 12:09 PM
Congrats to Ash and Mashrafe. Hopefully they'll lead our team to a brighter and better future. It's always easy to criticize but it's harder to be positive. And I think these two along with the rest of the players represent a very positive future for our team. Go Bangladesh!!!!

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 12:23 PM
Official link

http://tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=385

cricket_dorshok
June 2, 2007, 12:25 PM
Congrats to our new captain and vice-captian. hope they will lift our cricket to the top.

zzzz
June 2, 2007, 12:27 PM
Making an "aggressive" batsman like Ashraful - the Captain, is not a very smart move in my opinion. Ashraful's natural instincts as a batsman is to "attack" , but given the "responsibility of being a Captain", he would be caught in two minds and might end up losing his flair.

There are innumerable examples of this from the past.....

Protic
June 2, 2007, 12:34 PM
Okey.. Im happy that Ash and Mash are respectively captain and vice captain.. but i'll be convinced when i see the team playing under the young blood. We never had an YOUNG captain..under 25..did we?
Congrats to both Ash n Mash & I hope Bash gets his spot at the test matches..atleast 2 more tests and 4 innings to prove his worth.

abdulw11
June 2, 2007, 12:36 PM
Bangladesh cricket enters a new era...congrats to Ash and Mash.

Shaan
June 2, 2007, 12:44 PM
great move by BCB.. CONGRATS !!! to Ashraful and Mashrafi..

sar2005
June 2, 2007, 12:45 PM
Official link

http://tigercricket.com/viewNews.aspx?newsID=385

Interesting info is "The Board has decided to raise the salary of contracted players of all grades by 20 percent. " 20 percent is huge increment! Good to see. It also shows how good money BCB is making. Good for our cricket.

Electrequiem
June 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
this is great news!

Cant wait to see both our C and VC during the Afro Asian Cup...btw, is ZeeTV still showing it?

Protic
June 2, 2007, 01:02 PM
Electrequiem eh I feel like stalking you.. lol :D anyway
posted in a diff thread for and posting again.
ESPN STAR is telecasting all the matches from Afro-Asian cup.
www.espnstar.com

Dhakablues
June 2, 2007, 01:04 PM
Does the captain get extra incentives besides the recongnition? I mean other than the reputation, attention and media coverage,, what other material things does a Captain/Vice Captain get? Especially the latter..Granted, the opportunity to represent a country at world stage is there,,, but that didnt feed Taibu for too long. Just wondering..

green_cat
June 2, 2007, 01:15 PM
congrats to ash and mash. btw i hope bashar wont be included in the ODI team.

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 01:17 PM
Does the captain get extra incentives besides the recongnition? I mean other than the reputation, attention and media coverage,, what other material things does a Captain/Vice Captain get? Especially the latter..Granted, the opportunity to represent a country at world stage is there,,, but that didnt feed Taibu for too long. Just wondering..
They get extra payments,and when Greg Chappel threw Ganguly out,he complained that Ganguly was trying to keep captaincy only for financial reasons

bulbul_fan
June 2, 2007, 01:24 PM
good news

One World
June 2, 2007, 01:26 PM
It is good to have same captain in both versions. The next step would be our new captain and vc's performance in the selection panel. While Bashar and Whatmore did a great job with Faruk most if not all cases to select younger players to introduce talents like Ash, Shahadat, Aftab, Tamim, Shakib I hope these two can hold the rein and charge the baton properly to keep up consistently improving our performance in the field.

JamesBond
June 2, 2007, 01:43 PM
New Record!!!! ASH is the youngest captain ever!!! I am concerned with Mash,, its good he deserves it but he is out for injury more than anyone in the team

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 01:52 PM
New Record!!!! ASH is the youngest captain ever!!! I am concerned with Mash,, its good he deserves it but he is out for injury more than anyone in the team
sorry to interrupt you,but Ash is the 7th youngest captain,maybe youngest for BD.

ononto
June 2, 2007, 02:02 PM
sorry to interrupt you,but Ash is the 7th youngest captain,maybe youngest for BD.

2nd Youngest International Captain.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/current/story/296705.html

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 02:07 PM
2nd Youngest International Captain.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/current/story/296705.html
Thats about the present captains.

jawaherul
June 2, 2007, 02:47 PM
extra-ordinary good decision . wonderful news .

I hope these two do very well .

and for ash , i think , he is THE only batsman in the bangladesh team who can single-handedly win us a match on his day . and the same goes for mash as a bowler . he is THE one bowler who can win a match single-handedly on his day. no wonder , most of the time we win a match , ash or mash become the man of the match . ash knows how to build a team's innings and also how to chase a score . mash knows how to destroy a solid batting line-up .

congrats mash and ash .

Nafi
June 2, 2007, 02:55 PM
We should celebrate just like Karthik :floor:

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/75700/75757.jpg

Miraz
June 2, 2007, 03:02 PM
BTW, where is Fazal? :D

Imtiazk
June 2, 2007, 03:13 PM
Kabir has summed up everything the best.

I have one question - Why do you not see many bowlers as captain?

Imran Khan - a fine one, but he is a different story
Kapil Dev - a successful one because of '83, but was he a good captain?
S Pollock - A failure
Bob Willis - Somewhat successful
I Botham - A failure. He was more of a stop-gap.
Sobers - He was more of a batsman
Tony Lewis - Not so bad for England
Wasim Akram - Good in '99, but had too many lapses
Waqar Younus - A failure

Besides Imran Khan, you will see that most capitulated due to stress factors.

Er, when was Tony Lewis a bowler ? Maybe, he rolled the ball on the village green.

On your general point, I disagree. There is a bias against bowlers in the game from time immemorial. It has always been Mr Hobbs and Larwood. The question of fitness has a point to some degree.

But, I would have chosen Murtaza. I spoke to one of the board members who was backing this ticket. Almost, persuaded him to the reverse the ticket. His view was Murtaza's time will come.

By the way, do not bet against Bruce Yardley for coach for a year !

Imtiazk
June 2, 2007, 03:15 PM
Ray Illingworth was primarily a bowler. So was Gubby Allen. And, how could Richie Benaud be missed.

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 03:26 PM
generation passed
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/75800/75855.jpg

HereWeGo
June 2, 2007, 03:43 PM
I know I am on my own here, but I would have preferred Murtaza as the captain. People are going gaga about Ashraful's field placing ! Yes, compared to Bashar's ultra defensive mode, anything is an improvement but when you allow Gangu and Tendy countless free runs on the leg side, you need to think a bit. The short-leg was fine, the silly point was fine. But for over 10 overs ? Plus a short extra cover !

Ashraful blew it , in my opinion, with his 41 ball 67. I was there watching it. Great entertainment ! But was that the manner to play it at that time. Frankly, a 100 ball 67 was needed. What is great about losing inside 3 days. We lost 20 wickets in just over a day. Someone has to take responsibility.

Ok u r talking like Bulbul now. Ashraful had the guts to take on the bowlers when the whole team was crumbling.Losing in 3 days or 4 days is the same when the margin is identical. Even if India would have batted for another 20 overs than we might have lost in day 4 ( may be at a bigger margin) IT PROVES NOTHING. He inspired Rajin to play strokes for a change. And also showed briefly to the world what we can do, he made the test match a bit interesting for us specttors...

tonoy
June 2, 2007, 03:45 PM
great news. Im glad selectors made the right choice by giving ash the captaincy for both form of the game.

Nocturnal
June 2, 2007, 03:56 PM
Very good move by BCB. Ash and Mash- they are the best option right now. Good luck.

Nocturnal
June 2, 2007, 03:59 PM
আশা করি "সম্মানজনক পরাজয়" অধ্যায়ের অফিসিয়ালি একানেই
সমাপ্তি।

.... ebong officially ekhanei Bashar (as a captain) bashing thread er shomapti hobe bole amar darona. :wave:

Pundit
June 2, 2007, 04:09 PM
Er, when was Tony Lewis a bowler ? Maybe, he rolled the ball on the village green.

On your general point, I disagree. There is a bias against bowlers in the game from time immemorial. It has always been Mr Hobbs and Larwood. The question of fitness has a point to some degree.

But, I would have chosen Murtaza. I spoke to one of the board members who was backing this ticket. Almost, persuaded him to the reverse the ticket. His view was Murtaza's time will come.

By the way, do not bet against Bruce Yardley for coach for a year !

I sense that you think I am against the concept of a bowler captain - your mistake.

Are you an individual with cricketing pedigree? I hope so, because its pretty dangerous for board members to just listen to Mr. Anybody!

I don't think Larwood would have been able to stand up against Hobbs on cricketing acumen.

Tony Lewis name is retracted here. But stick to the point.

Pundit
June 2, 2007, 04:27 PM
Ray Illingworth was primarily a bowler. So was Gubby Allen. And, how could Richie Benaud be missed.

In your haste to make some undetermined point here, you are missing the main point - how successful are bowler captains, not are there bowling captains out their?

Richie was a spin bowler. I am pretty sure its obvious that we are talking about fasties here.

Gubby Allen - Was he a successful captain. And Ray, anything that he may have ever done that's worth mentioning, was as a selector.

So what's your point, again...besides continuing to throw out bowler captain names?

The trend is obvious already...adding names to the list is of no help.

jawaherul
June 2, 2007, 04:44 PM
Ok u r talking like Bulbul now. Ashraful had the guts to take on the bowlers when the whole team was crumbling.Losing in 3 days or 4 days is the same when the margin is identical. Even if India would have batted for another 20 overs than we might have lost in day 4 ( may be at a bigger margin) IT PROVES NOTHING. He inspired Rajin to play strokes for a change. And also showed briefly to the world what we can do, he made the test match a bit interesting for us specttors...

exactly . there is no difference to lose on the 5th day or the 3rd day , as long as i am concerned . a loss is a loss and nothing more . there is nothing called an honorable defeat or honorable innings defeat . and the only hope of our avoiding innings defeat was , at that point , a 300 by ashraful and i don't think ash would have scored 300 if he is in a defensive mood . he might have taken a gamble to see how much he can do . that's the sign of a very confident cricketer . he knows , he is the world's number one ( not one of the best , simply the best) batsman now if only talent is concerned . i love this . also , mash is very confident player . remembering his "dhore dibani" . also , mash is mentally very strong .... well , i think even stronger than ashraful . however , i would prefer ash over mash as a captain right now .

Zobair
June 2, 2007, 04:50 PM
Imtiaz, surely the fact that Mashrafee hasn't skippered any side of note ever in his career will count agianst him being thrust into the role of a test captain. The current arrangement is really ideal even if you want Mashrafee to be the long-term skipper. As Vice-captain he can ease himself into the skipper role IF and WHEN it is determined that Ash is not doing justice to the role.

Dhakablues
June 2, 2007, 04:55 PM
I dont think the analogy is right here.. Bulbul actually asked for Bashar to retire and Ashraful to take over. In fact, Bulbul and Ashraful has a very good relationship off field.... On the key point, Bulbul is not the great genious about cricket but he is a qualified cricketer, scored debut century, played county cricket, coached in Australia and Abahoni to their league title. You may not like his views but dont brush him off as a 'nobody'.

And also,, as we have seen, if a player doesnt perform,, most like our board will sack them. One thing for sure about the BCB is they do take the media seriously. Not sure if thats a quality or a concern. But if Ashraful doesnt perform,, rest assured that he will be thrown out as Shahrier Nafis. Our board is very good in discarding players,, as good as they are in creating new ones.. And I am not sure if I am being sarcastic or truthful.. :)

AsifTheManRahman
June 2, 2007, 05:11 PM
Good news. He definitely has it in him to lead this side, and hopefully he will mature both as a captain and a batsman with this added responsibility.

I actually like the new management quite a bit - I have my reservations about Mash becoming captain right away, however, picking an aggressive player who will never give up for a vice captain is always a great idea. I also like the idea of appointing Shaun Williams as the national coach - I had a hunch that when the BCB mentioned a "local coach", they actually meant someone working with the local/age group teams, and not necessarily someone of Bangladeshi origin. Given the good work that Williams has done with the age group cricketers and the kind of experience that he's had, he's not a bad choice for an interim coach.

zahid
June 2, 2007, 05:21 PM
YES!

babubangla
June 2, 2007, 06:43 PM
[বাংলা] ইয়া হাবিব সালামালাইকা [/বাংলা]
http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/prasadam/recipes/images/sweets.gif

Imtiazk
June 2, 2007, 07:00 PM
Ok u r talking like Bulbul now. He inspired Rajin to play strokes for a change. And also showed briefly to the world what we can do, he made the test match a bit interesting for us specttors...

Yes, and in the process both he and Rajin got out.

The purpose of test cricket is:

1. To win

2. If not possible, then try to draw.

Making it "interesting" is not a purpose. That part is left to the ODI which to a purist is nothing short of pros******** of the game.

To a knowledgeable cricket purist, the unfolding of the game itself is interesting. When an extremely tidy bowler like Underwood bowls to a batsman who is trying to break out of his shackles [ and not lose his wicket in the process ] is test cricket.

That is why it is called "test" cricket. It is a test of patience, application, stamina, purpose, resolution etc. etc. It is the Phd as opposed to a multiple choice 1 hour exam.

In that same test, you would have noticed Tendulkar, not playing all that well, accumulated yet another unbeaten century. He made that his 37th century and boosted his career average by about 0.4 by remaining not out. Whether he entertained the public was not the issue. The issue was that his country needed his runs and he gave it to them. Karthik and Jaffer were almost dying from exhaustion but didn't give up their wicket with a hoik. That is test cricket.

If we play like Ashraful did we will never play a 4 day test match.

Imtiazk
June 2, 2007, 07:09 PM
And Ray, anything that he may have ever done that's worth mentioning, was as a selector.

Ray Illingworth only won the Ashes 2 - 0 in Australia after leading a side which started the series as the underdog. He was never himself a star player.

What is my cricketing pedigree is surely for my peers to judge ! You make it a point that you are not against bowler captains and then proceed to say exactly that.

My point is that I have been hugely impressed by Murtaza , on and off the field. I feel that his cricketing knowledge is superior to that of Ashraful. Others may not share that opinion, fair enough. It cannot preclude me for having that opinion.

Anher
June 2, 2007, 07:16 PM
Imtiazk i couldnt resist myself to praise you for your cricketing knowledge. Surely you are few rare one who understand cricket very very well. I really like your critical analysis, follow your every post. Keep up the good work.

Antora
June 2, 2007, 07:19 PM
omg.. omg yes... magnificent... brilliant....tremendous...marvelous....spectacular ..stunning ...(ect) NEWS!!!!!!!best thing bcb has eva done!!!!! go ash and mash!!!!!! (wooohooo)

SideWinder
June 2, 2007, 07:23 PM

G. Smith of SAF is 1st I think

Tintin
June 2, 2007, 09:20 PM
My point is that I have been hugely impressed by Murtaza , on and off the field. I feel that his cricketing knowledge is superior to that of Ashraful. Others may not share that opinion, fair enough. It cannot preclude me for having that opinion.

I am more with Pundit here. My impression is that Mortaza is the Kapil Dev - Botham type of all-rounder who did things on talent/inspiration/instinct etc whereas successful bowler-captains like Imran & Benaud are more intellectual type of guys.

Tintin
June 2, 2007, 09:25 PM
From a news report in 2004 :

The accompanying table lists the youngest captains in Test cricket: <table bgcolor="white" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="500"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#000000"><td>Years</td><td>Days</td><td>Captain</td><td>For</td><td>Vs</td><td>Venue</td><td>Season</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>20</td><td>358</td><td>T Taibu</td><td>Zim</td><td>SL</td><td>Harare</td><td>2003-04</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>21</td><td>77</td><td>Nawab of Pataudi</td><td>Ind</td><td>WI</td><td>Bridgetown</td><td>1961-62</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>22</td><td>15</td><td>Waqar Younis</td><td>Pak</td><td>Zim</td><td>Karachi </td><td>1993-94</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>22</td><td>82</td><td>GC Smith</td><td>SA</td><td>Ban</td><td>Chittagong</td><td>2002-03</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>22</td><td>194</td><td>ID Craig</td><td>Aus</td><td>SA</td><td>Johannesburg</td><td>1957-58</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>22</td><td>260</td><td>Javed Miandad</td><td>Pak</td><td>Aus</td><td>Karachi </td><td>1979-80</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>22</td><td>306</td><td>M Bisset</td><td>SA</td><td>Eng</td><td>Johannesburg</td><td>1898-99</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>23</td><td>144</td><td>MP Bowden</td><td>Eng</td><td>SA</td><td>Cape Town</td><td>1888-89</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>23</td><td>169</td><td>SR Tendulkar</td><td>Ind</td><td>Aus</td><td>Delhi</td><td>1996-97</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>23</td><td>217</td><td>GC Grant</td><td>WI</td><td>Aus</td><td>Adelaide</td><td>1930-31</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>23</td><td>292</td><td>IFW Bligh</td><td>Eng</td><td>Aus</td><td>Melbourne</td><td>1882-83</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>23</td><td>319</td><td>SP Fleming</td><td>NZ</td><td>Eng</td><td>Christchurch</td><td>1996-97</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>23</td><td>354</td><td>ADR Campbell</td><td>Zim</td><td>SL</td><td>Colombo</td><td>1996-97</td></tr></tbody></table>
<!-- wml_version_ends --> <!--printer_version-->

Farhad
June 2, 2007, 09:33 PM
From a news report in 2004 :

The accompanying table lists the youngest captains in Test cricket: <table bgcolor="white" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="500"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#000000"><td>Years</td><td>Days</td><td>Captain</td><td>For</td><td>Vs</td><td>Venue</td><td>Season</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>20</td><td>358</td><td>T Taibu</td><td>Zim</td><td>SL</td><td>Harare</td><td>2003-04</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>21</td><td>77</td><td>Nawab of Pataudi</td><td>Ind</td><td>WI</td><td>Bridgetown</td><td>1961-62</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>22</td><td>15</td><td>Waqar Younis</td><td>Pak</td><td>Zim</td><td>Karachi </td><td>1993-94</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>22</td><td>82</td><td>GC Smith</td><td>SA</td><td>Ban</td><td>Chittagong</td><td>2002-03</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>22</td><td>194</td><td>ID Craig</td><td>Aus</td><td>SA</td><td>Johannesburg</td><td>1957-58</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>22</td><td>260</td><td>Javed Miandad</td><td>Pak</td><td>Aus</td><td>Karachi </td><td>1979-80</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>22</td><td>306</td><td>M Bisset</td><td>SA</td><td>Eng</td><td>Johannesburg</td><td>1898-99</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>23</td><td>144</td><td>MP Bowden</td><td>Eng</td><td>SA</td><td>Cape Town</td><td>1888-89</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>23</td><td>169</td><td>SR Tendulkar</td><td>Ind</td><td>Aus</td><td>Delhi</td><td>1996-97</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>23</td><td>217</td><td>GC Grant</td><td>WI</td><td>Aus</td><td>Adelaide</td><td>1930-31</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>23</td><td>292</td><td>IFW Bligh</td><td>Eng</td><td>Aus</td><td>Melbourne</td><td>1882-83</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>23</td><td>319</td><td>SP Fleming</td><td>NZ</td><td>Eng</td><td>Christchurch</td><td>1996-97</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#cccccc"><td>23</td><td>354</td><td>ADR Campbell</td><td>Zim</td><td>SL</td><td>Colombo</td><td>1996-97</td></tr></tbody></table>
<!-- wml_version_ends --> <!--printer_version-->

Good find. Btw, whos "Nawab of Pataudi"? Any idea what his real name might be?

Tintin
June 2, 2007, 09:35 PM

Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi :
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/32222.html

Pundit
June 2, 2007, 10:32 PM
Alas! This is the Bengali race we are talking about here. Always with intent to drive a wedge into something.

ImtiazK continues his vain attempts to hold himself in esteem..talk about having a Board Director (or someone's) ear, closeness to Bruce Yeardley, pulling of anecdotes from bygone times....but utterly failing to realise that its his emotion that has gotten the better of him.

We all love Ash and Mash, and considering the state of BD cricket, the other man becoming the captain would have made a paisa worth of difference. Let the man who has more opportunities for composure lead us, and let the flaming dragon we call Mashrafee continue to char all who crosses his path.

Now, getting back to letting you all know of my knowledge of all fast bowlers who have ruled the earth...first, let me come back from my evening cigar puffs with Don Bradman.

Dhakablues
June 2, 2007, 11:22 PM
by any chance is that Bolivar puffs ? :)

Kabir
June 2, 2007, 11:37 PM

He's an Indian player. Follow Tintin's link :)

yaseer
June 3, 2007, 12:06 AM
Congratulation to Ashraful and Mortaza.....and best of luck!!

BD-Shardul
June 3, 2007, 12:12 AM
The torch of Bangladesh Cricket has finally been passed to the younger generation.

My wish for them:

"Tomar Potaka Jare Dao, Tare Bohibar Shokti Dao"--Tagore

syzygy
June 3, 2007, 12:45 AM
a wise post from a knowledgable cricket Pundit. i concur word for word with u.

1. To win

Making it "interesting" is not a purpose. That part is left to the ODI which to a purist is nothing short of pros******** of the game.

That is why it is called "test" cricket. It is a test of patience, application, stamina, purpose, resolution etc. etc. It is the Phd as opposed to a multiple choice 1 hour exam.

In that same test, you would have noticed Tendulkar, not playing all that well, accumulated yet another unbeaten century. He made that his 37th century and boosted his career average by about 0.4 by remaining not out. Whether he entertained the public was not the issue. The issue was that his country needed his runs and he gave it to them. Karthik and Jaffer were almost dying from exhaustion but didn't give up their wicket with a hoik. That is test cricket.

Thunder
June 3, 2007, 01:32 AM
there is no question that Ashraful brought us some miracles but its not too long ago when he was dropped from the team for poor form. I am really keen to see how he performs as a captain..

israr
June 3, 2007, 09:04 AM
Yes, and in the process both he and Rajin got out.

1. To win

To a knowledgeable cricket purist, the unfolding of the game itself is interesting. When an extremely tidy bowler like Underwood bowls to a batsman who is trying to break out of his shackles [ and not lose his wicket in the process ] is test cricket.

Bro, I surmise you still like to follow the conventional type of test cricket. 'Test cricket ' simply doesn't imply you have to be cautious all the time. Why Australia set the world record for 16 consecutive test wins. They've always liked to dominate over the opposition's bowling attack, how much ever formiddable the bowling attack would be. Hence, they scored at very impressive rates, and had more than ample time to get their opponents out twice. They went to win the test, regardless of the the number of days played. It'd be irrational that a test has always got to last 5 or 4days. Remember Edgbaston test of Ashes 2005? You're saying Tendulkar played a typical test inning, but you're assumption is wrong. You should see some of his glorious test innings during the late 90's, where he always maintained a healthy strike rate. The Tendulkar of today is nowhere near he used to be and deep inside himself, Tendulkar knows that. Reminisce the Chittagong test, when he got his ton, he just attempted to play one of his 'used to be famous pull/hook shots', but gifted a lucid catch to Ashraful of the bowling of Shahadat. This proves that, even if he wants, he can't repeat his past calibre of playing, hence his 100 in Mirpur ate colossol no. of balls. Talk about Lara, and why do people call him genius, because he's got the ability to punish any type of bowler on his given day. A master batsman is one who likes to go over the bowling attack and disrupt the opposition captain' plans. I suggest you to view the highlights of his innings against Pakistan at Multan, where he took over Kaneria, and deliberately went after him and mercilessly punished him for 24 runs in a single over. Since Kaneria was the main strike bowler, and he was the one being hammered the most, it pushed Inzamam on the defensive as he removed Kaneria from the attack soon after, and was in a dilemma of what to do next. Later, with Kaneria out of the attack, Lara resumed to play a normal inning. Similarly Ashraful knew that being bogged down wouldn't be the solution to his team's problems, so he decided of being aggressive, and unsettle the opposition. He got his 50 off 26 balls, but the next 17 runs came from 15 balls, which clearly showed he wasn't playing a 20-20, instead devising a plan and regularly updating those plans according to the team's situation and demand. He was almost successful, but was unfortunate not to convert into a big knock. Lara and the other veterans had mastered the art of playing such knocks after going through many such kind of experience, and our Ashraful is still learning, but we should be patient, because he is harbouring the hopes of a nation which has not yet evolved as a test nation, so he's learning all by himself, whereas an Inzamam or a Lara had Imran Khan or Vivian Richards to look forward to in their teams. To come to an end, that type of knock convinced me about his thinking abilities, and the best thing according to my close observation was, he always likes to counter-attack, a blessing he is possed with which made Australia the no 1 with that type of attitude. Ponting, Jayasuriya, Lara, Richards, or even, Bradman, considered to be the greatest test batsman, never waited for the bad balls. Instead, they had the ingeniuity of frequently playing very good balls and converting them into a four or a six. That is why they are called as 'masters of the game', which our Ashraful has got in his prodigious talent. It seems you want our Ashraful to play like Darren Ganga, but its worth remebering those type of innings never get as high ratings as some of the other knocks played in an exactly opposite manner, because even a novice can score runs by nudging every ball for singles. If Lara had similar notions like you, then the world wouldn't be able to witness the 'greatest innings of the century'.(153* against AUS at Barbados).
Its easy watching and passing on comments, but please, once again, closely look and observe at all the minute details and aspects of Ashraful, and try to understand what he is exactly tring to do, because its very easy to be fooled by looking at the final result the way he got out on Kumble's ball, and saying he dosen't have the temparent of playing a test. Give him some time, and seriously speaking and God willing, he's going to usher Bangladesh to a very palmy future.
Thanks a lot for reading through the whole piece .
I am ready to receive any other counter-explantions from you, and sorry, if I've hurt you in any way, cause my intentions were very clear and not to disillusion you, but to convince you of my points. :big_hug: No hard feelings mate....:big_hug:

BonBon
June 3, 2007, 09:09 AM
Ugh....my eyes hurt!!

gatekeeper
June 3, 2007, 09:22 AM
I think Ash will be an excellent capt. but I'm concerned about putting extra pressure on Mash. We don't want to do anything to hinder his bowling.

Electrequiem
June 3, 2007, 12:53 PM
G. Smith of SAF is 1st I think

Eh ... I think Prosper Utseya of Zimbabwe might be the youngest skipper.

Imtiazk
June 3, 2007, 01:51 PM
Now, getting back to letting you all know of my knowledge of all fast bowlers who have ruled the earth...first, let me come back from my evening cigar puffs with Don Bradman.

Sadly, the greatest of all batsmen is dead...

Imtiazk
June 3, 2007, 02:10 PM
Call it a draw. I am quite content playing a dead bat to a good ball but driving the occasional half-volley which is bound to come sooner or later. It is in that spirit I still back Murtaza. As I am convinced sooner or later class will tell. By class I do not mean ephemeral ability or potential but actual converted runs or wickets.

Apart from Rafique and Bashar [ a few years back ] Murtaza is the only genuine test class player we have had so far. But his best years are in front of him.

As we are talking of test matches, in particular, the horrendous second test just completed, I couldn't help but remember the following test.

Pakistan v West Indies 1957/58 . The reason I have chosen this test match is because Pakistan then were about as experienced as we are today in tests [ except our players have played far more matches ]. It was a six day test. The first two innings were very similar. West Indies scored 579 and Pakistan 106. But that team did not raise the white flag and start playing "attractive" cricket. They bolted down believing in themselves and scored 657/8 declared to save the match having batted 319 overs. Boring ! It may have been to some. But, by jove, that is what test cricket is all about. I believe , talent wise, Ashraful is just as good as Hanif was then. Only, the application is lacking, sadly.

http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1950S/1957-58/PAK_IN_WI/PAK_WI_T1_17-23JAN1958.html

sheikh
June 3, 2007, 02:13 PM

Hope captaincy will affect Ashraful's Batting :)

Imtiazk
June 3, 2007, 02:27 PM
Hope captaincy will affect Ashraful's Batting :)

Well put !

Sohel
June 4, 2007, 01:54 AM
Eh ... I think Prosper Utseya of Zimbabwe might be the youngest skipper.

hmm... how old was tatenda taibu when he took over from heath streak? anybody care to remember?

21 years and a few months younger than prosper.

ononto
June 4, 2007, 03:39 PM
Bro, I surmise you still like to follow the conventional type of test cricket. 'Test cricket ' simply doesn't imply you have to be cautious all the time. Why Australia set the world record for 16 consecutive test wins. They've always liked to dominate over the opposition's bowling attack, how much ever formiddable the bowling attack would be. Hence, they scored at very impressive rates, and had more than ample time to get their opponents out twice. They went to win the test, regardless of the the number of days played. It'd be irrational that a test has always got to last 5 or 4days. Remember Edgbaston test of Ashes 2005? You're saying Tendulkar played a typical test inning, but you're assumption is wrong. You should see some of his glorious test innings during the late 90's, where he always maintained a healthy strike rate. The Tendulkar of today is nowhere near he used to be and deep inside himself, Tendulkar knows that. Reminisce the Chittagong test, when he got his ton, he just attempted to play one of his 'used to be famous pull/hook shots', but gifted a lucid catch to Ashraful of the bowling of Shahadat. This proves that, even if he wants, he can't repeat his past calibre of playing, hence his 100 in Mirpur ate colossol no. of balls. Talk about Lara, and why do people call him genius, because he's got the ability to punish any type of bowler on his given day. A master batsman is one who likes to go over the bowling attack and disrupt the opposition captain' plans. I suggest you to view the highlights of his innings against Pakistan at Multan, where he took over Kaneria, and deliberately went after him and mercilessly punished him for 24 runs in a single over. Since Kaneria was the main strike bowler, and he was the one being hammered the most, it pushed Inzamam on the defensive as he removed Kaneria from the attack soon after, and was in a dilemma of what to do next. Later, with Kaneria out of the attack, Lara resumed to play a normal inning. Similarly Ashraful knew that being bogged down wouldn't be the solution to his team's problems, so he decided of being aggressive, and unsettle the opposition. He got his 50 off 26 balls, but the next 17 runs came from 15 balls, which clearly showed he wasn't playing a 20-20, instead devising a plan and regularly updating those plans according to the team's situation and demand. He was almost successful, but was unfortunate not to convert into a big knock. Lara and the other veterans had mastered the art of playing such knocks after going through many such kind of experience, and our Ashraful is still learning, but we should be patient, because he is harbouring the hopes of a nation which has not yet evolved as a test nation, so he's learning all by himself, whereas an Inzamam or a Lara had Imran Khan or Vivian Richards to look forward to in their teams. To come to an end, that type of knock convinced me about his thinking abilities, and the best thing according to my close observation was, he always likes to counter-attack, a blessing he is possed with which made Australia the no 1 with that type of attitude. Ponting, Jayasuriya, Lara, Richards, or even, Bradman, considered to be the greatest test batsman, never waited for the bad balls. Instead, they had the ingeniuity of frequently playing very good balls and converting them into a four or a six. That is why they are called as 'masters of the game', which our Ashraful has got in his prodigious talent. ...................

very well said....awesome

Ononto

Murad
November 26, 2007, 02:53 PM
Ashraful captain till Dec 2008

The tenure of Mohammad Ashraful and Mashrafe Bin Mortaza as captain and vice-captain have been extended till December next year.
Ahead of the upcoming tour to New Zealand, Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has taken the decision in their executive committee meeting yesterday.

Ashraful inherited the job last June from Habibul Bashar for the Sri Lanka tour and the Twenty20 World Championship in South Africa and BCB made sure that the ace batsman would lead the Tigers in a busy home schedule next year.

zainab
November 26, 2007, 10:25 PM
From the schedule of matches at home and away, I would say that 2008 will be the busiest and most hardpressed year for our young captain. I am sure that he will be able to cope, especially with a new coach.

Foozy
November 26, 2007, 11:24 PM
Congrats to ash and mash! And congrats to Junaid and Nazmul for joining the team! And on a sadder but well justified note, SN is out.
source : crifinfo
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/nzvbdesh/content/story/322347.html
P.S. oh ya... JO is in too.... haha

rumØrS
November 27, 2007, 03:31 PM
I think, I think AFTAB should be the vice captain! N MASH cant handL this job, he started loseing his bowling power after he became VICE CAPTAIN.

another reason y i want AFTAB as a VC, cuz ASH n AFTAB, those 2 always have a gud Communication. They always played well together, had few gud partnership. [VS SA, SRI, AUS etc]

but problem is AFTAB isnt on the test team :( but i dont want him on the test team. nor tamim.