PDA

View Full Version : Ashraful Captain of the test team,a wise move?

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 12:31 PM
I thought Board could have given Ashraful some more time in the test fold as Vice Captain so that he could learn from HB,and more importantly,from other captains before feeling the pressure,it could have told him to prepare and basher to let ash groom,much like the aussie way.
Now if Ash fails,it will be all his fault,nobody will consider that he was not given proper grooming,been vice captain for only a series,and we might lose our best talent.

Sure Basher Can no longer be ODI captain,that was inevitable,but the test desicion could have waited for some day.

Kabir
June 2, 2007, 12:36 PM
Ashraful was the VC during the Test series against India. With only 2 Tests, I don't think he will have those necessary bits and pieces in place.

However, I do want to mention that if it's Ashraful leading the Test side, we may see some surprises. Personally, I wouldn't complain about his Test captaincy until after 1 year. Only exceptions will be those kinds of decisions that even an amaeteur like me can make...which he failed to make. Otherwise, two thumbs up to him.

Feeling sorry for Bashar. This may mean that this Test series will be his last series with the national team.

Kabir
June 2, 2007, 12:37 PM
Oops, didn't realize that it's a poll. Hmm, okay lets see. I would go with "Yes" for now.

Protic
June 2, 2007, 12:41 PM
Yes for me.. and to be frank.. Ashraful had nothing to learn from Bashar.. in tests as a captain..i mean the field placing,bowling switch..Bashar was ordinary..and expirience? well Ashraful has it inspite of being YOUNG.
So good move.

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 12:45 PM
Yes for me.. and to be frank.. Ashraful had nothing to learn from Bashar.. in tests as a captain..i mean the field placing,bowling switch..Bashar was ordinary..and expirience? well Ashraful has it inspite of being YOUNG.
So good move.
well,I did say he could learn from Basher,although even I dont believe inthis,what I believe in is he could have learned a lot from other captains,and when he was prepared to be captain,he would have analyzed them,but as he was not,he might have missed many critical moves worthy of choice, too much hesitancy in BCB over the post of Vice Captain has cost us that.

I hope a session with the analyst of the team will be reserved as soon as possible on captaincy techniques.

WarWolf
June 2, 2007, 12:46 PM
He is the best possible option for now. And I think he got a good tactical brain. Best of luck for him.

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 12:54 PM
I voted no and was hoping for some competition,but it looks like I'm not against the wind,But against the Hurricane :(

cricket_dorshok
June 2, 2007, 12:54 PM
anyone in team would be better captain than (current) Bashar! no question and no poll needed.

Sohel
June 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
yes. here's my old blog before he became VC: -

http://snr1967.blogspot.com/2007/04/case-for-possible-ashraful-captaincy.html

Carte Blanche
June 2, 2007, 01:01 PM
There's a major difference in the way HB and Ash approach or play the game. Ash has a much more aggressive mindset. He is proactive, unlike Bashar, who simply plays a wait & see game. I think it's a good decision to hand him the captaincy. It also indicates that BCB is learning to value performance over age seniority. I hope this was a move inspired by professionalism and not because they had no other choice. As for the OP, I don't see what's there to be learnt fron HB's captaincy. I mean, Ash can't do any worse, can he?

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 01:01 PM
anyone in team would be better captain than (current) Bashar! no question and no poll needed.
Its on whether this move is good for Ashraful and Bangladesh cricket on a whole,no one is saying that Bashar is better than Ashraful

MohammedC
June 2, 2007, 01:02 PM
yes, Ashraful will bring a new dimension to our team. He has more guts then anyone else. Let see how he performs in Srilanka.

green_cat
June 2, 2007, 01:23 PM
in test man dont need aggression but experience and cool head. Ash should have been deputy in test for Bashar. From there he could have learned. but in ODI there was a need to change the thinking..so for ODI its great a decision.

Mahir
June 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
Voted "No". But thats not to complain against the fact that he's taken over from Bashar. Ashraful's aggression, as refreshing a change as it WILL turn out to be after Bashar's recent showing, may not work over a longer period of time, 5 days that is. I for one still see Shahriar Nafees as our captain proper.

cricket_dorshok
June 2, 2007, 01:34 PM
Its on whether this move is good for Ashraful and Bangladesh cricket on a whole,no one is saying that Bashar is better than Ashraful
If you think Ash is better than Bashar, then don't you think its better for BD cricket also?

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 01:49 PM
If you think Ash is better than Bashar, then don't you think its better for BD cricket also?
Because Ashraful has not got the international grooming,which is quite important for a test captain,just look at the aussies,they kept up with Mark Taylor when he was at his worst form just to get Steve Wough some more time,and now you see the result.Ponting was picked for Captaincy even before Steve was appointed,and they've already marked Clarke,Why do you think their team has so cool captains?
Hussy,in the Hadlee series,showed what an ungroomed captain for Aussies might lead to.

One World
June 2, 2007, 01:57 PM
Because Ashraful has not got the international grooming,which is quite important for a test captain,just look at the aussies,they kept up with Mark Taylor when he was at his worst form just to get Steve Wough some more time,and now you see the result.Ponting was picked for Captaincy even before Steve was appointed,and they've already marked Clarke,Why do you think their team has so cool captains?
Hussy,in the Hadlee series,showed what an ungroomed captain for Aussies might lead to.

Hussey was the Bolir Patha for Ponting. They needed to give New Zealand and England the boost be4 world cup. Our heart can see and mouths keep shut as same when India and Pakistan tour each other.

cricket_dorshok
June 2, 2007, 02:06 PM
Because Ashraful has not got the international grooming,which is quite important for a test captain,just look at the aussies,they kept up with Mark Taylor when he was at his worst form just to get Steve Wough some more time,and now you see the result.Ponting was picked for Captaincy even before Steve was appointed,and they've already marked Clarke,Why do you think their team has so cool captains?Hussy,in the Hadlee series,showed what an ungroomed captain for Aussies might lead to.
coz they had/has Hayden, Mcgrath, Warne, Punter, Hussey, Gili and many more. All these player didn't become great because of their cool captaincy rather they are professional enough to develop their skill. I agree it would be better if Ash could have gained some experience as a VC. But again what do you expect Ash to learn captaincy from Bashar. He (Bashar) is now at the bottom (both as a batsman and as a captain) of his career. You can't expect anything significant to learn from Basahr's captaincy. So its better for BD cricket to move forward with the new generations.

cricket_dorshok
June 2, 2007, 02:09 PM
this is an exception!

Shafin
June 2, 2007, 02:11 PM
this is an exception!
Well,Before This,Aussies Did not have ungroomed captains for a long time,gilchrist has always been the vice captain,so please show me what the exception was.

Rubu
June 2, 2007, 02:12 PM
He will definitely be a better captain than HB. And after the release of captaincy pressure HB might get his form back. Mind it, he is still the best batsman of we have in test. However, I sincerely hope, I don't see him in ODI anymore.

cricket_dorshok
June 2, 2007, 02:42 PM
Well,Before This,Aussies Did not have ungroomed captains for a long time,gilchrist has always been the vice captain,so please show me what the exception was.
Well, Smith of SA was a ungroomed (your definition) captain and he is much more successful than his predecessor (Pollock).
As I said in my previous post, if you don't have anything to learn than moving forward with younger blood is always better than sticking with loser mentality's.

jawaherul
June 2, 2007, 03:14 PM
in test man dont need aggression but experience and cool head. Ash should have been deputy in test for Bashar. From there he could have learned. but in ODI there was a need to change the thinking..so for ODI its great a decision.

what are you talking about . in test match , captain needs to be even more aggressive than in odi . odi is a defensive format of the game as long as captaincy is concerned . a captain's best test is on the field as a fielding captain . being a batting captain is easy but , being a good fielding captain needs a lot of cricket knowledge from your part . and that's even more true for test matches . in odi's , almost every game has a format and you can almost readily know what type of field setting is needed to be posed only if you have a little cricket brain . but the story of test cricket is all the different . you must all the time think about a new strategy , you must think about the length of your bowler's spell , you must think about forcing the batsman to get out . and finally you must decide about the best time for your taking of the 2nd new ball . also you must decide how much you will delay declaring your innings . i can recall once arjuna ranatunga even declared his team's 1st innings with a 50/60 runs trail . although the match was drawn , but that was an example of very good , aggressive , thoughtful captaincy .

and , all those i have mentioned definitely needs an inherent aggression .

oh , btw , my choice is yes . 3 reasons for this ...
1) bashar left no option than to select ash captain right now . i have too much respect for bashar as a batsman , but he just cannot do captaincy . we can very hardly afford to lose our firm grip on the match just by a very elementary bad decision by the captain or team management , which happened numerously in the recent past .
2) i believe ash has tremendous cricket brain . some people don't need to be taught , they can learn by themselves . my mom never taught me math even in the childhood . he just asked me to do math and i did ; when i felt any problem , she just helped , that's it. same goes to ash as a cricketer . something comes very naturally out of him
3) i was very much impressed at the short span captaincy he did in the absence of habibul in the tests against india . more often than not , india had lost one wicket or two whenever he was captaining for a handsome 15/20 minutes . and i had seen his good field placement and that he was enjoying every bit of the job .

rah
June 2, 2007, 03:46 PM
yes now, we just have to see, and now as captain ashraful might give himself the chance to bowl more often

Nocturnal
June 2, 2007, 04:03 PM
He is the best possible option for now. And I think he got a good tactical brain. Best of luck for him.

agreed.

and voted for Yes.

sadi
June 2, 2007, 05:50 PM
No offense but what can he possibly learn from Bashar? Less he learns, better it is for both him and our cricket.

Do you think Ash will make a better captain than HB? If your answer is yes, then its time. If you answer no, then we have something to talk about.

Miraz
June 2, 2007, 05:54 PM
Missing Fazal badly :D

Sohel
June 2, 2007, 08:10 PM
Missing Fazal badly :D

took the words right out of my mouth. hope "Sir Ash" can end Fazal bhai's skepticism with his performances on the pitch, both as captain and player.

Carte Blanche
June 2, 2007, 08:36 PM
No offense but what can he possibly learn from Bashar? Less he learns, better it is for both him and our cricket.

Do you think Ash will make a better captain than HB? If your answer is yes, then its time. If you answer no, then we have something to talk about.

Amazing how this guy turned into a villain in no time. I fully agree with you though :D

cricket_king
June 2, 2007, 09:01 PM
I thought Board could have given Ashraful some more time in the test fold as Vice Captain so that he could learn from HB,and more importantly,from other captains before feeling the pressure,it could have told him to prepare and basher to let ash groom,much like the aussie way.
Now if Ash fails,it will be all his fault,nobody will consider that he was not given proper grooming,been vice captain for only a series,and we might lose our best talent.

Sure Basher Can no longer be ODI captain,that was inevitable,but the test desicion could have waited for some day.

What the hell would he learn from bashar?? /:)

Haradhon
June 2, 2007, 09:36 PM
I wanted ask a question: Who else would you pick as captain?
S Nafees: bad form and not for SL series;
Javed Omar: Not sure if he will be an opener permanently;
Rasel, Rajib, Razzak/Enamul: They are bowlers;
Mashrafee: too early for him
Sakib: Can be groomed into one, but too early
Mushfiq: same as sakib
Rajin: Only other substitute for Ask; I would give him vice captaincy before Mashrafee

For now, Board's decision is OK
Ash has to show his character

SMHasan
June 2, 2007, 10:32 PM
It's never an easy job to captain a test side especially in such a young age. And what I think is Ash or Mash is not the perfect choice if we have another good option in the team. But sadly there is no one to take over now. Thus given the current situation this is the perfect combination.

We still need Bashar in our test side. He is a good batsman and I think he can offer a lot in tests. He should concentrate on his own game from now on. We need some stability in the top of the order. We were just fragile in the tests against the Indians. We need him. We need to make sure that we take tests seriously and positively.

I believe most of you will agree with this line: An inexperienced Ashraful is much better/acceptable than so called an experienced Bashar.

oracle
June 2, 2007, 10:55 PM
I voted no. I think that Ash is sure to be the next cappo but not this year. I would have liked Rajin to have stepped in, even though he is not as popular.

Rajin- test captain

Masrafee-ODI captain

SS
June 2, 2007, 11:11 PM
I will not vote till I find out the result and the way he takes the charge.
We all will find out soon. For now we really need some good batsmen who can stay and score runs. And obviously good bowlers to help Mash,Rajib,Razzaq etc.

yaseer
June 3, 2007, 12:09 AM
Ashraful is the best possible and right option to choose.

cricketboy
June 3, 2007, 12:35 AM
I voted no. I think that Ash is sure to be the next cappo but not this year. I would have liked Rajin to have stepped in, even though he is not as popular.

Rajin- test captain

Masrafee-ODI captain

Why would you make Rajin the captain when he hardly makes it into the playing XI? And Mashrafe has absolutely no experience of captaincy and breaks down very frequently. I think Ash is the best choice for now. :)

BANFAN
June 3, 2007, 01:02 AM
Perfect choice !!! wow.

A Test captain needs to be more aggressive than one dayer's captain; as you have to take 20 wickets, while in onedayers, you may get away without taking many wickets. A possitive person can only lead and win tests for the country, not passive snails. They have a place in the team to play their roles. Test also needs aggressiveness. Test really tests all sorts of skills and temperament of the team. so that balance the selectors will do, i hope.

Captain has to be positive and agressive, that's what Ash is... I see a bright future of BD team ahead under Ash... Congrats to the board, that they could be so positive and right.

I feel pity for those who think of two captains for two form of game, they are atleast 10 years, behind, teams tried, it did not work and it does not work. Have to Always find out some one who fits in both form as a player and captain.

Ash is a great choice at the moment.....and for a long time I believe.

Cheers !!!

BD-Shardul
June 3, 2007, 04:04 AM
I have voted for yes, but the best answer is: "Time will say"

Sohel
June 3, 2007, 04:54 AM
I have voted for yes, but the best answer is: "Time will say"

it will indeed... my fingers are crossed and will probably stay that way. asha kori laigga jaibo.

cricket_king
June 3, 2007, 05:59 AM

OMG!! I dont get it! What does bashar have to offer to the team? NOTHING!
He's finished now......get that through your heads :hairpull:

sheikh
June 3, 2007, 02:48 PM
NO.
For tests..his batting does not indiacte that he understands test cricket. Can bring many examples. But lets take the latest one...
His innings was a great one to watch against India. But the attitude was not correct. One would have liked to see him taking more time in the crease to make a similar score. Even if he had taken 150 balls for his 50, that would have been more suited to the situation. BD could take the game to another day. I feel rather a loosers attitude behind his aggressieve batting on that particular match.
Now that he is the captain, goodluck to him.
IMO he should have been given some more time to be a test captain.

SideWinder
June 3, 2007, 04:55 PM
you can't knock him till youve tried him!!!