PDA

View Full Version : Indian coach hunt takes a twist

MohammedC
June 3, 2007, 07:04 PM
BCCI will decide today the 4th of june who will be their next coach. Since Dav Whatmore's departure from BD everyone was almost certain it would be him but recent news will suggest he has a competition.

Ford enters the fray in final lap (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/296803.html)

Protic
June 3, 2007, 07:14 PM
I guess it will be Dav Whatmore..not that Im very eager to know who it is.. whoever it is..gonna face taugh time coaching them.. Its hard to coach players like Tendu,Gangu & Dravid..lol these 3 can be coaches if they want..and not to forget the indian supporters.

gatekeeper
June 3, 2007, 08:36 PM
I have unconfirmed news that Indian officials are re-evluating Whatmore after that disastrous decision to bowl first against India in the Mirpur test.

Mahir
June 3, 2007, 11:54 PM
to bowl first you mean...

gatekeeper
June 4, 2007, 12:28 AM
to bowl first you mean...

right.......my bad.

Sohel
June 4, 2007, 12:55 AM
:umm: ... no wonder Dav hinted at coaching us again ...

... curiouser and curiouser ... :umm:

MohammedC
June 4, 2007, 12:57 AM
:umm: ... no wonder Dav hinted at coaching us again ...

... curiouser and curiouser ... :umm:

Once he will have nowhere to go, He will come back to us.........yes

Sohel
June 4, 2007, 01:01 AM
off topic: i'm still holding out hope for the Richy Mac.

Ahmed_B
June 4, 2007, 02:12 AM
That is a very very low comment indeed. In bangla its called "mukhe ja ashe tai bola".

sandpiper
June 4, 2007, 12:17 PM
whoever is their coach, india's position will remain in 5-7 jone. i can guarantee you :-D
at home they look like no. 5th and abroad 7th :lol:

sensible
June 4, 2007, 12:30 PM
Dav did not get the Indian job!!!

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/296923.html

Tigers_eye
June 4, 2007, 12:34 PM
Dang!! Who is the other guy!! I don't believe Indian media. May be the other guy is Watmore. They are just hiding and making it look like a drama serial. Just the music is missing. Publicity (good or bad) would benefit in the long run for BCCI.

sandpiper
June 4, 2007, 12:35 PM
wats so important about it ? :confused:

tonoy
June 4, 2007, 12:41 PM
wooh. I knew this will happen. Indians really didnt seem that interested with whatmore after the series. It seems natural that they back out. Sad, but part of life.

Miraz
June 4, 2007, 12:42 PM
The toss decision in the 2nd Test made the difference for Whatmore.

zzzz
June 4, 2007, 12:47 PM
Dang!! Who is the other guy!! I don't believe Indian media. May be the other guy is Watmore.

The Cricinfo article has now been updated with this :

"We have not been able to reach the second person so far but we hope to do it soon," Srinivasan said. "We had made contact with Whatmore before. By implication you can say that Whatmore is out of contention," he added.

So now it's OFFICIAL...Whatmore is no longer in the running for Indian Coach's job.

Zunaid
June 4, 2007, 12:49 PM
Dang!! Who is the other guy!! I don't believe Indian media. May be the other guy is Watmore. They are just hiding and making it look like a drama serial. Just the music is missing. Publicity (good or bad) would benefit in the long run for BCCI.

The article says:

Arjuna Ranatunga, whose name has been doing the rounds, has emerged as the other strong contender.

babubangla
June 4, 2007, 12:50 PM
BCCI sources have told NDTV that the second individual is Arjuna Ranatunga.

Source: NDTV (http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtvcricket/showstory.aspx?id=SPOEN20070014430&site=ndtv)

babubangla
June 4, 2007, 12:58 PM
Things are not looking good on the other side of the border too.

Pakistan Board Not Tempted To Offer Dav Whatmore Coaching Job If BCCI Rejects His Application (http://www.cricketworldcuplatest.com/news/pakistan-board-not-tempted-to-offer-dav-whatmore-c-112842.html)

PCB not keen on Whatmore (http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1101127)

tonoy
June 4, 2007, 01:01 PM
I guess pakistan isnt all that bad for whatmore... I mean if you get past all the religious fanaticism, lack of descipline and match fixing, they are a pretty damn good talented team who has potential to beat any team on their day.

Ahmed_B
June 4, 2007, 01:09 PM
Threads merged.
-Mod

ialbd
June 4, 2007, 01:09 PM
haire natok re.......

so whatmore will be out of the international scene for a while.... sigh.......

radagast
June 4, 2007, 01:10 PM
Is he or isn't he! Dear Goodness the DRAMA!

AsifTheManRahman
June 4, 2007, 01:26 PM
poor whatmore

Sohel
June 4, 2007, 01:28 PM
here's a quote from the daily star on monday (the star archive for june 4 is off line at the moment, so no link): -

from Dav in line for India

PTI, Bangalore

"Gavaskar has been severe in his indirect criticism of the Australian in his syndicated column, referring to the way in which Bangladesh did not make an effort to chase the target set by India in the opening Test in Chittagong and for opting to field after winning the toss in the second and final Test at Mirpur."

milton_eng
June 4, 2007, 01:30 PM
Dav Whatmore out of contention
Ford a contender in two-horse race
Cricinfo staff
June 4, 2007
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=170 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif

</TD><TD class=photo></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
India's search for a national coach has been reduced to a two-horse race. The Indian board has decided to call Graham Ford for discussions along with another foreign candidate, whose name they couldn't reveal since they hadn't been able to still ascertain his availability. This implies that Dav Whatmore, the former Bangladesh coach, has been ruled out of the coaching job.
"We have decided to invite Ford and another coach of foreign origin for discussions on June 9 in Chennai," board treasurer N Srinivasan, a member of the committee appointed to select the coach, told reporters after the meeting.
"We have not been able to reach the second person so far but we hope to do it soon," Srinivasan said. "We had made contact with Whatmore before. By implication you can say that Whatmore is out of contention," he added. Arjuna Ranatunga, whose name has been doing the rounds, has emerged as the other strong contender.
The board's meeting began in Bangalore at 8:30pm and went on for about an hour and a half.
More to follow ...

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/296923.html

I don't know about you guys; but I am happy to hear this news. :lol:

MohammedC
June 4, 2007, 01:31 PM
That is a very very low comment indeed. In bangla its called "mukhe ja ashe tai bola".

Sorry you feel that way, For your information I have a lot of respect for Mr Whatmore, I was only joking. I did not use any swear word so how could my comment be so low. If at any cost Whatmore comes back I for sure will be dancing in joy.

Sohel
June 4, 2007, 01:32 PM
MODS, you may want to merge this thread with the one in "international cricket"... thanks.

ialbd
June 4, 2007, 01:33 PM
international cricket >> first thread....

not merge> delete dorkar....

Protic
June 4, 2007, 01:36 PM
So.. :p any chance of BC having a new banner? "WELCOME BACK DAV!"
LOL.. twist & twist!

radagast
June 4, 2007, 01:39 PM
Another new thread, same topic.. trigger happy.. aren't we! :D

Hatebreed
June 4, 2007, 01:40 PM
As long as they aren't interested in anyone we are interested in, I could care less.

radagast
June 4, 2007, 01:40 PM
So.. :p any chance of BC having a new banner? "WELCOME BACK DAV!"

Nayy.. we should start fresh, new cap, new VC - new coach...

Fazal
June 4, 2007, 01:59 PM
Oti Chalaker Golayee Dori.

Somethimes some coaches have a tendency to over coach themselves.

In high profile Head coach hunt, its a marathon rather than a sprint. You need to bring yourself in the lime light at the right time and at the right moment. Bringing yourself too early will expose you too long for scrutiny. And eventually someone will find soemthing wrong in the mean time . And thats what happened to Dav.

Sohel
June 4, 2007, 02:01 PM
it may just be my 80-year old grandma's boddowa when Dav showed interest in the india gig during the WC.

radagast
June 4, 2007, 02:10 PM
Not hearing much about the SL coach hunt. Have they already made their decision?

radagast
June 4, 2007, 02:11 PM
it may just be my 80-year old grandma's boddowa

LoL.. Ahhh.. the Cricket Crazy Nation...

ssaadi123
June 4, 2007, 02:12 PM
BCCI is no longer considering Whatmore as Indian Coach... lol...:lol:
whatmore is just a looser... big looser... biggest looser....

Sovik
June 4, 2007, 02:14 PM

have a little respect. he has done a lot for our cricket.

Ahmed_B
June 4, 2007, 02:16 PM
DJ sure needs to add this to his vocab. :)

Sorry you feel that way, For your information I have a lot of respect for Mr Whatmore, I was only joking. I did not use any swear word so how could my comment be so low. If at any cost Whatmore comes back I for sure will be dancing in joy.
Good to know :up:

MohammedC
June 4, 2007, 02:18 PM
Not hearing much about the SL coach hunt. Have they already made their decision?

I think they are after Jamie Siddons who BCB wanted as head coach. As soon as Srilanka and Pakistan select their coach it will be only matter of few weeks we will get ours

Source (http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/world/moody-sad-to-say-goodbye,13045,EN.html)

Shafin
June 4, 2007, 02:20 PM
What Can I say?

Srinivasan did, however, state quite bluntly, that the committee was not considering Whatmore any longer, if indeed it had seriously done so at any point. "We have established contact with Whatmore. You can say by implication that yes, he has been ruled out."

Whatmore was the first to throw his hat into the ring, announcing first through the media and then in a meeting with the Indian board officials that he was keen on the job. In the absence of the board having sounded out any other candidate, and with the Whatmore's name gaining momentum in the media, he emerged as a frontrunner for the job. source:http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/296923.html

MohammedC
June 4, 2007, 02:28 PM
Dav should consider him a very lucky person (time will tell)not to be selected for the Indian job, India has too much expectation any mistake like his decission to field first in last test match will be a sackable offence

Farhad
June 4, 2007, 02:37 PM
I dont know about you guys, but Im a little dissapointed. Id have loved to see Whatmore go on to coach another international team. Although that might still happen, chances are slim...

cricketboy
June 4, 2007, 02:44 PM

Bechara Whatmore. :-D:-D

ialbd
June 4, 2007, 02:55 PM
Wondering what Whatmore wants to do now (if the Indian rejection is indeed true). Go back to Aus and try for the state teams?

Nafis_BD
June 4, 2007, 02:58 PM
I feel sorry for him!!

Wondering what Whatmore wants to do now (if the Indian rejection is indeed true). Go back to Aus and try for the state teams?

That's exactly what I was thinking!!!!!

syzygy
June 4, 2007, 03:52 PM
now that india has rejected dav whatmore's application, is BD going take him back considering that they are finding it hard to get a replacement?

ialbd
June 4, 2007, 04:04 PM
now that india has rejected dav whatmore's application, is BD going take him back considering that they are finding it hard to get a replacement?

i dont think that idea is remotely in the board's mind. They finally managed to change the captain & restructured the team, and a new coach is a must have right now...

Carte Blanche
June 4, 2007, 05:19 PM

Let's not be unkind to the man who has done so much for our cricket. His decision to part ways with us was amicable, and he gave us notice in advance. There's no reason to kick the man who is down considering how he gave us a hand when we were down.

Sauron
June 4, 2007, 06:52 PM

Somethimes some coaches have a tendency to over coach themselves.

In high profile Head coach hunt, its a marathon rather than a sprint. You need to bring yourself in the lime light at the right time and at the right moment. Bringing yourself too early will expose you too long for scrutiny. And eventually someone will find soemthing wrong in the mean time . And thats what happened to Dav.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I think Whatmore's public jobsearch, while he still was employed by BD, is the root cause of this rejection. If he awaited his term to expire with BD and then contacted BCCI privately, this rejection may not have happened.

Even though I am not a fan of Gavaskar, he does nail it when he indicated in his column that (paraphrasing) BD not chasing during the first test is a testament to Whatmore's fatalistic / abject attitude. While some people may have accepted it as our only 5th draw i.e. we did not lose, it reeked of losing attitude on the coach and captain's part.

Anyway, I think this is poetic justice in a way.

nsd3
June 5, 2007, 01:48 AM
Whatmore is implied to be ruled out of the list for India Coach.
Source: Cricinfo
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/296923.html

tiger_omar
June 5, 2007, 02:13 AM
I bet he regrets leaving the Bangladesh coaching position now... As much as I liked Whatmore, the way he handled this situation publicly, it was a slap to the face of the Bangladesh team and their fans.

sunny747
June 5, 2007, 02:37 AM
his option is still open to coach pakistan i guess.

cricket_king
June 5, 2007, 02:53 AM
Feel sorry for Whatmore now. :(

RazabQ
June 5, 2007, 03:43 AM
Let's not be petty. Whatmore will know why he did not get the challenge of coaching India. Anyway, this just proves how much of a sway Sunny still has in Indian cricketing circles. For us, we should worry about getting our coach and wish Dav well.

BD-Shardul
June 5, 2007, 03:45 AM
whoever is their coach, india's position will remain in 5-7 jone. i can guarantee you :-D
at home they look like no. 5th and abroad 7th :lol:

Ditto

Shafin
June 5, 2007, 04:48 AM
It was like "Naker Shamne Mula Jhuliye Ghorano"
I feel sorry for DW

Luvlee_nik
June 5, 2007, 04:51 AM

i agree, he duznt care about honour or dignity, thats why he's clinging onto the minutest opportunity he can find..........

Sumon77
June 5, 2007, 05:01 AM
It was like "Naker Shamne Mula Jhuliye Ghorano"
I feel sorry for DW
its more like other way... Dev nijei ghurese... bujhlam na...why he was so fascinated about the Indian job. Though no doubt what he did for BD is great and may be no one at that time would lift BD this much, but still have doubt if he were with any other test country, couldnt offer himself for other job while still serving one, sort of felt disgracefull for BD.

nannu
June 5, 2007, 05:20 AM
whatmore wont come back to us, thats fo sure.

radagast
June 5, 2007, 06:56 AM
I think they are after Jamie Siddons who BCB wanted as head coach. As soon as Srilanka and Pakistan select their coach it will be only matter of few weeks we will get ours

Source (http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/world/moody-sad-to-say-goodbye,13045,EN.html)

Thanks - so they get the first pick eh? Does that mean we would end up with bottom of the barrel pick? :confused:

sensible
June 5, 2007, 08:35 AM
Cricinfo reports...India wants John Emburey, former England Spinner

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/296986.html

Ahg984
June 5, 2007, 05:05 PM
Ditto

haha you wish. Currently India is ranked 4th and is very few points away from the third position. :-)

EDIT: actually 1 point away :-)

Electrequiem
June 5, 2007, 05:56 PM
So when will India announce their new coach?

Ganguly da
June 6, 2007, 02:13 AM
personally i'm glad whatmore is out of contention, he has done good job with teams building from scratch, but he's way too laidback and not aggressive at all, how can a coach take such destructive decision after having full access to all the technology, the ground staff and others....that's just ridiculous, what was he thinking? BCCI boss came to visit him so his new job is waiting to be delivered to him?

he should go back to australia or some african countries and work with their club teams, maybe he can bring them the glory that he helped others brought home.

MohammedC
July 17, 2007, 09:51 PM
Wessels looms as new candidate for Indian hot seat (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22058828-5001505,00.html)

Another name thrown in to the basket, Well BCCI they are stil trying

insideedge
July 18, 2007, 01:49 AM
India does not want him, Pakistan does not want him, and Ranatunga does not think much of him when he was Sri lankan coach. So whatmore is not all that good to the people who matter in picking the coaches for their teams.