PDA

View Full Version : BD A vs KCA XI - virtually national teams

fwullah
August 23, 2002, 11:03 PM
Touring Bangladesh face hosts in one-dayer at Ruaraka Sports Club today

After losing by 92 runs to the Kenya Cricket Association XI at Ruaraka Sports Club last Wednesday, the visiting Bangladesh 'A' seek a recovery act in today's second one-dayer at the same venue.

Playing at his homeground, opener Kennedy Otieno scored a brilliant 146, one of the rare cases where a batsman stays at the crease for an entire innings in limited overs cricket.

He could have reached his 150 had his brother Collins not denied him the strike in the last over of the match.

Fans might not understand the fact that despite the fact that the teams have branded themselves as Kenya Cricket Association XI and Bangladesh 'A', they are virtually the national teams of the two countries.

The reason behind the facade is the fact that to get Bangladesh here as the full team, the Kenya Cricket Association would require more than Sh20 million.

International regulations covering such tours require that the hosts provide nothing short of five star accommodation for the touring teams with massive allowances and security arrangements.

It's a great incentive for Kenyan cricket that the "Tusker Boys" have defeated Bangladesh and, before Wednesday's win, scored victories over Sri Lanka 'A', Zimbabwe 'A' and a touring Pakistan 'A'.

The Sri Lanka 'A' side that lost to Kenya in last year's Emerging Nations tournament in Namibia, for example, has seven players in the current squad that won the Morocco Cup at Tangiers on Wednesday.

The visiting Bangladesh 'A' has eight players who are in the Test nation's main team, six of whom will travel to Colombo for next month's ICC Champions' Trophy.

"The good performance against these 'A' teams, including last Wednesday's victory over Bangladesh 'A' in the one-dayer and the impressive result in the three-day match go on to show that Kenya is ready for Test cricket," Kenya Cricket Association's cricket committee chairman Sharad Ghai says.

Elias Makori

Source:

http://www.nationaudio.com/News/DailyNation/Today/Sports/Sports%20Review789.html

fwullah
August 23, 2002, 11:25 PM
BD A's first 3 day match was affected by rain.

In the first one day game, Rafiqul who scored 41, was opening. Sabbir scored 20 (which reports said earlier that he had scored 15), Anwar 17, Kapali 15 and Ashraful bowled his full quota of overs (10 overs for 65 runs, 2 wickets) and scored 9 runs.

http://www.ittefaq.com/current/sports/news2.pdf

fwullah
August 23, 2002, 11:35 PM
So far, nobody has published BD A's full scorecard of the first one day match. From the reports of different papers and internet publications, the following final eleven can be guessed (for the first one dayer in which BD A lost by 90 or 92 runs; KCA XI scored 322 for 5 and BD A scored 230 for 9 in 50 overs)

1) Hannan Sarkar (vc) / Javed Omar ? - (Hannan Sarkar is the vice captain, so he should be in the side - does it mean that Javed Omar did not play in the first one day game?)
2) Rafiqul
3) Mazharul Haque
4) Md. Ashraful
5) Sanwar Hossain (c)
6) Sabbir Khan
7) Alok Kapali
8) Anwar Hossain (wk)
9) Tapash Kumar Baisya
10) Anwar Hossain Munir
11) Alamgir Kabir

fwullah
August 23, 2002, 11:48 PM
According to Janakantha (Source: http://www.janakantha.com/kn1.pdf )

Kennedy Otieno scored his 148 runs in 146 balls with 14 fours and 3 sixes

Thomas Odoyo scored second highest 39 in 60 balls.

Steve Tikolo scored 33 in 24 balls with 5 fours and 1 six.

Off spinner Sabbir Khan took the wicket of Tikolo.

Slower bowlers did well in giving away runs

Sabbir Khan also gave away the least number of runs (52 runs in 10 overs). He was the most economical among all the bowlers.

Alok Kapali's economy rate was the highest as he gave away 31 runs in his 4 overs.

For some reason, 3 pace bowlers were in the final eleven, and their bowling analysis was like this:

Anwar Hossain Munir - 6 overs for 42 runs

Tapash Kumar Baisya - 7 overs for 41 runs (same as Sanwar's bowling - only Sanwar took 2 Kenyan wickets)

Alamgir Kabir - 6 overs for 40 runs

Which totals to 123 runs in their 19 overs.

Tehsin
August 24, 2002, 02:35 AM
Kenya is a strong one day side BUT, what if they lose to our A team ? The batting may be confused with our national team but the bowing is definitely our second grade bowling. Even our weeping boys can score 300+ against the bowling line up that took on Kenya (KCA, if you insist) in the first one dayer.

Mahmood
August 24, 2002, 03:51 AM
No Masri, no Monju, no Moni, no Rafiq, no Sharif...ops, thats our best bowling line up.

I still believe, with full strength, BD can kick Kenya's butt.

fwullah
August 24, 2002, 05:50 AM
Not even 'no Sumit'.

But the question is, is our A side batting line up still strong enough - what happens if BD A wins the toss today and elects to bat first?

fwullah
August 24, 2002, 06:18 AM
No Mushfique Babu, no Talha Jubair.

I have an idea - why don't we vote our own top ranking pace bowlers and spin bowlers as well as opener or middle order order batsman?

James90
August 24, 2002, 06:39 AM
1.Al Sahariar
2.Gollu
3.Habibul
4.Ash
5.Bulbul
6.Tushar
7.Pilot
8.Sumit(Mahmud)
9.Moni
10.Masri
11.Monju
That's my side

Tehsin
August 24, 2002, 01:28 PM
Hannan will replace Bulbul and Mahmud (he is Khaled Mahmud Shujon) will become the oldest member of the team.

Golla
Rokon
Sumon (Habibul Bashar)
Hannan
Tusher
Ashraful/Sanwar
Pilot
Shujon
Moni/Kapali/Sumit
Masri
Manju

The bowling gets weaker with this team with 10 overs upto the likes of Sumon/Ashraful/Sanwar (who RERELY bowls in league matches), so I would like he hear some suggestions. Get back Sharif or Bikash in the team ? Look at Taposh or Mushfiq Babu ?

fwullah
August 24, 2002, 10:17 PM
What about Rafique? Neither of you two (Tehsin - Habibul_fan) have mentioned him. Is he such a bad bowler?

If both of you are thinking in terms of World Cup, then I will disagree in some respects.

For example, history suggests that a debutant needs more than 1 or 2 years just to be effective and efficient in the team. Look at Sumon and Golla - both of them are in your team and both are important for our batting line up, and yet their debuts were in 1995 in ODI cricket. In that respect, Ashraful does not get any chance to be in the final fifteen in the world cup. Though he could be in a stand-by list. So as Hannan Sarkar - he will need a long time to get his batting technique right.

Now if you are talking about future Bangladesh team, watching this BD A team, I have done an analysis on the 1997 Kenya tour and found out that only four players - two batsman and two bowlers mainly - have established themselves in the 2-year-later-world cup.

They are (bowlers) - Hasibul Hussain Shanto and Mohammad Rafique - Shanto bowled in all the games in WC99 except in the last match and Rafique bowled in the first and in the last match of the wc99. But, both of them were in the final fifteen.

The batsman are - Aminul Islam Bulbul, Akram Khan, Shahriar Hossain Bidyut and Minhazul Abedin Nannu. But, Bidyut batted in number four position in one ODI against Ken in 97 and Bulbul was not in the side in one ODI possibly due to injury. Also, Akram tried to bat at number three during the WC99. So, if looked carefully, it can be said that only two batting positions - thus only two batsman had been consistent enough during the Kenya tour in 97.

fwullah
August 24, 2002, 10:28 PM
My side - talent wise:

1) Mehrab Hussain
2) Javed Omar
3) Habibul Bashar
4) Al Shahriar
5) Tushar Imran
6) Ashraful
7) Khaled Mahmud
8) Khaled Mashud
9) Mohammad Rafique
10) Mashrafe Murtoza
11) Manjurul Islam

But, due to injury, inconsistency and irresponsibility (like 67 or 90 all out) and because of all the negative factors, I think I would be happy if the following side performs:

1) Javed Omar
2) Mehrab Hussain * / ...*
3) Al Shahriar * / ... *
4) Habibul Bashar
5) Tushar Imran * / Sanwar Hossain *
6) Khaled Mahmud
7) Khaled Mashud
8) Mohammad Rafique / Alok Kapali *
9) Mushfiqur Rahman * / Tapash Baisya *
10) Fahim Muntasir *
11) Monjurul Islam

*Suspect; depends on condition (pitch condition) and form and whether they will be able to perform under pressure.

James90
August 25, 2002, 02:13 AM
He to me is "our" best bowler. I don't see any matches but records and current form show him as the best bowler. That's why i didn't include Rafique. Sadly I think Mehrab will take a couple of years to get back into the national team. I've been following Hannan closely and he's done nothing wrong. I think he should be going to the ICC Trophy. You need to give him chances not dent him confidence. Name one preformance where he has failed in the national team

fwullah
August 25, 2002, 06:25 AM
Moni is definitely not our 'the best bowler'. But I agree that he is currently one of the best bowlers. But that only is because he can restrict the batsman or take their wickets when batsman are trying to dominate him. For example, in the last test match that he played, when SL batsman scored sensibly - not trying to dominate anybody or not trying to get the run rate up, then Moni did not take any wicket (for a very very very long spell). Later in the day, when the SL batsman were trying to lift the run rate, only then could Moni take the wickets. Only in that respect - he is the best bowler - not the other way around. And as nobody else is as experienced than him as a bowler in the Bangladeshi bowling line up, so nobody else gets those wickets at that time.

Rafique did not get that chance to play test matches because two similar kind of left arm spinners are not included in the same test side at the same time.

I agree that Mehrab might also take a few more years to get into the form that he was before and during 1999 - but I also think fear for the South African pace bowlers and their wickets might prompt the Selectors to let him open or bat one down in this South Africa tour - just like in the last Pakistan tour of Bangladesh.

Hannan looked the best opener for test matches because he could handle the short balls well as well as by being brave, but he needs to improve his batting technique - to be precise, his feet movement in order to survive at the crease. Otherwise, everytime a pace bowler bowl straight to him - on or outside his off stump and the ball that is going to hit middle - middle leg, he will always get out leg before wicket. So, this is not the time for him to open for Bangladesh - especially when the crucial world cup is coming up right ahead.

Pundit
August 25, 2002, 07:45 PM
Any prospect of him making into the team by WC '03 ? Wisden report that he now work for Mr. Saddam ! Is that mean he is a terrorist.

Tehsin
August 25, 2002, 10:15 PM
It's only August, we have almost six months to the World Cup. BCB has enough time to condition 5/6 pacers, bend 3-5 spinners and get a BATTING COACH to work with 6-10 batsmen. BCB can also set up a personal session for each of these players with a SHRINK, hopefully the same one that worked with them in 99 (Waliullah, can you please find out the name of that doctor?).

James90
August 26, 2002, 04:24 AM
Hannan Sarkar's problem sounds like what Ponting's problem. Sorry but I was meaning Moni was our best spinner. Who knows what that means.