PDA

View Full Version : Will BD give Whatmore another chance?

syzygy
June 4, 2007, 03:59 PM
Now that it is obvious that he is being rejected for the Indian Job, will BD give Whatmore another chance?

Fazal
June 4, 2007, 04:00 PM
No disrespect to Dav's contribution... but I have to say...

Thanks but no thanks :D

Nafi
June 4, 2007, 04:01 PM
Only If BCB is stupid enough not to take Richard Mcinnes, than perhaps we have very few other good choices.

Tigers_eye
June 4, 2007, 04:08 PM
Should have a poll attached to this thread.

After the two recent tests, I say .... where is the poll?

Nafi
June 4, 2007, 04:09 PM
I think watmore has failed in really developing our test ability.

tonoy
June 4, 2007, 04:12 PM
Like Fazal said, Thanks but NO THANKS!!!!

syzygy
June 4, 2007, 04:14 PM

Ok, added poll :-D

WarWolf
June 4, 2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks for his whole hearted contribution. But it's time for a change.

ialbd
June 4, 2007, 04:16 PM
umm yea thanx .... but no thanx...

it shud be a one-sided poll if everyone can put the logic behind & put aside the sentiments....

WarWolf
June 4, 2007, 04:19 PM
umm yea thanx .... but no thanx...

it shud be a one-sided poll if everyone can put the logic behind & put aside the sentiments....
So far it's one sided.

Murad
June 4, 2007, 04:20 PM
now way..

syzygy
June 4, 2007, 04:23 PM
any idea on wat dav's next assignment be? may be he can coach ireland as they are also without a coach now.anybody else looking for a coach?

mali007
June 4, 2007, 04:28 PM
We need some changes in coaching . Its better NOT TO ACCEPT A REJECTED PERSON
especially in coaching matter.

Fazal
June 4, 2007, 04:31 PM
anybody else looking for a coach?

I know Belgrave Cricket Club, Melbourne is looking for a coach. Now if Dav wants to apply for that or not, that I don't know. There are other coaching job availabe in the following site (http://www.coachingjobs.com.au/index.php?id=2024)

catstrophy
June 4, 2007, 04:31 PM
thak....dorkar nai...

syzygy
June 4, 2007, 04:35 PM
seems like a very one sided poll so far...seems nobody wants him back?

feel sorry for that guy who helped two nations to reach great heights but still dont find a job!

truetruetiger
June 4, 2007, 04:39 PM
dav will now go on to coach the pakistanis replacing bob woolmer, so i gues there is no chance he will come back to bd

radagast
June 4, 2007, 04:42 PM
Good coach, not that great PR skills. I think he taught us all that he could, time for a change anyways. Don't know much about the intrim coach, but he is only 35. For such a young team, his age might be a plus.

syzygy
June 4, 2007, 04:44 PM
dav will now go on to coach the pakistanis replacing bob woolmer, so i gues there is no chance he will come back to bd

u seems kind of in favor if he do come back , at least 1 person so far.

bulbul_fan
rubbish question
answer is NO.....if india dont want whtmor, wht can we do
but thanks for his contribution

Carte Blanche
seems like a very one sided poll so far...seems nobody wants him back?

feel sorry for that guy who helped two nations to reach great heights but still dont find a job!

With his CV, it won't be hard getting a job. There are plenty of clubs in Australia and England who will be happy to lap him up. As for the original topic, allow me to join the procession of "No thanks". He's done us wonders and given us a hard-working identity that we so dearly lacked in the previous coaches. But we're no longer toddlers now. We need to move on. Best of luck to DW on his future endeavours. I hope he gets a job he really likes.

Fazal
June 4, 2007, 04:52 PM

TE Chabi Maira Dilo Chaira..... Kintu Negey to Vote delo Na.

syzygy
June 4, 2007, 04:52 PM
With his CV, it won't be hard getting a job. There are plenty of clubs in Australia and England who will be happy to lap him up. As for the original topic, allow me to join the procession of "No thanks". He's done us wonders and given us a hard-working identity that we so dearly lacked in the previous coaches. But we're no longer toddlers now. We need to move on. Best of luck to DW on his future endeavours. I hope he gets a job he really likes.

But dont u think he deserves more than coaching clubs? Is that the reason he resigned ?

I think he was badly looking for the indian job and his extraordinary eagerness actually brought about his downfall. india did nt gain or loose anything, but ultimately BD lost a good coach (as I am sure he would not have been sacked after BD's WC performance) and Dav is now standing in a no man's land.

Carte Blanche
June 4, 2007, 04:57 PM
But dont u think he deserves more than coaching clubs? Is that the reason he resigned ?

I think he was badly looking for the indian job and his extraordinary eagerness actually brought about his downfall. india did nt gain or loose anything, but ultimately BD lost a good coach (as I am sure he would not have been sacked after BD's WC performance) and Dav is now standing in a no man's land.

We don't know the exact reason he resigned. We all know it's no easy task coaching a subcontinental team. It's hard to stomach all the deshi-isms after a few years. That could be a factor. I think may be he got a little greedy shooting for the Indian job. But other than that it's best that we part ways with him. I know he is a professional, but it's been clear that his level of enthusiasm for coaching Bangladesh is nowhere as it once was during his cautious beginnings. I agree with you though; he does deserve better. Unfortunately there are no high profile vacancies left in the international circuit now.

ps: very cool username, by the way :)

Fazal
June 4, 2007, 04:59 PM
may be he does ... may be he doesn't. But why should we (BD) need to change our course to to accomodate that? [/quote]

True India lost nothing.
True Dav is the apparant looser here. But we don't know, he may end up PAK or SRI who knows. I always thought IND job wasa risky job for Dav. In long term, eventually he mey end up a winner.
I disagree BD is a looser here. They can be. It all depends who they choose. There is a a good possibility that BD can also turn out to be a winner here. Therefore too early to call.

Carte Blanche
June 4, 2007, 05:07 PM
may be he does ... may be he doesn't. But why should we (BD) need to change our course to to accomodate that?

I don't think he meant BCB should get out of their way to make room for Dav. It's just a case of Dav being overly ambitious. But like you said, we don't know who the winner or loser is here (yet). If we get Siddons/McInnis, we may indeed turn out to be the winner. Either way, it's Dav who is the only unemployed babysitter now.

Trigger_Tiger
June 4, 2007, 05:17 PM
Everyone here seems to go off thinking BCB would consider asking him to come back!
Firstly they will not do so, and secondly may I please remind everyone and especially the author of this thread that it was Dav who wanted to retire from coaching Bangladesh even before the Indian job was at hand?

Plus, it really does not matter if he is unemployed at the moment because a coach like that never sits idle for too long, there's always someone on the lookout to grab a person like Dav for their team :)!

I'm pretty sure, if Pakistan does not take him (I think I heard somewhere elsethat Pak already got a coach?

But there are many teams besides those we see in the International arena so that's that.

Eitherways, keeping on song with the thread a little, lets see how McInnes fairs up. I reckon he should be a good coach for this tiger team of ours. Maybe if he retires from coaching us after whatever long period he coaches us, bringing back Whatmore might be a good idea since then we will (hopefully) have a much stronger and better side that he can deal with.

So I vote a yes for him being given a chance to come back 4-Whatever year later.

At the moment BCB is neither going to ask him to return, nor is he going to return. He at the moment has had it with coaching Bangladesh and needs a break (every coach needs a break, even when he coached SL a second time, in the middle he took off and coached Lancashire for a little while.

So BCB is doing the right thing as is Dav.

With no offence to the author or the other posters here, but I find this thread pretty unnecessary.

MohammedC
June 4, 2007, 05:19 PM
To show my respect for the best coach BD ever had I voted YES. I know we are all broken hearted because he left us but look at those candidate for BD job (whoever they are) they have asked for few more weeks to think about it..why I ask my self? only answer I could find is they are waiting for Pakistan and Srilanka. 13 have applied for Pakistan job. Jamie Siddons and few other Ausssie are interested in Srilankan job. All the coach are professionals they would want respectable job with better team. Even though lot of us have voted "NO" well everyone but myself. Ask yourself If Dav was still our coach would you still support him?

Trigger_Tiger
June 4, 2007, 05:31 PM
To show my respect for the best coach BD ever had I voted YES. I know we are all broken hearted because he left us but look at those candidate for BD job (whoever they are) they have asked for few more weeks to think about it..why I ask my self? only answer I could find is they are waiting for Pakistan and Srilanka. 13 have applied for Pakistan job. Jamie Siddons and few other Ausssie are interested in Srilankan job. All the coach are professionals they would want respectable job with better team. Even though lot of us have voted "NO" well everyone but myself. Ask yourself If Dav was still our coach would you still support him?

I voted yes too and I would have supported him allllllllllllllllllllll the way bro, through the ups and downs like we support our team, because he WOULD HAVE BEEN a part of our team like he was until he left us :flag:!!!!!

Carte Blanche
June 4, 2007, 05:36 PM
All of this is assuming Dav would want to come back to coach BD. Like TT said, it was his idea to begin with. Why would he want to return to a job he didn't like in the first place? Ironically, voting yes is unsupportive of Dav's decision.

Dav himself would vote NO on this poll.

CTazim
June 4, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hey Syzygy: I knew a person back in University of Maryland, College Park days long long time ago almost 20 years ago whose username was Syzygy. Originally from Calcutta, I knew him quite well.

Anyway, you didn't happen to go to U of M, did you?

Trigger_Tiger
June 4, 2007, 06:07 PM
All of this is assuming Dav would want to come back to coach BD. Like TT said, it was his idea to begin with. Why would he want to return to a job he didn't like in the first place? Ironically, voting yes is unsupportive of Dav's decision.

Dav himself would vote NO on this poll.

Actually he intends to come back later and hopes "the door would be open for me." So I voted yes as per his quote :)!

truetruetiger
June 4, 2007, 06:25 PM
u seems kind of in favor if he do come back , at least 1 person so far.

noope i am definatly not in his favour for coming back, i think bd needs to go foward with fresh new ideas now and whatmore is in the past

Fahmid
June 4, 2007, 07:21 PM
Well did Whatmore hint that he may return as a coach of BD in the future, And I think he should be given a chance for showing his interest of comming back which surly gets to show he still not done with BD yet. In my opinion he is the best coach in the world and when possible we need to get him back for another 2 more trs in the future.

dewan
June 4, 2007, 07:43 PM
euhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..........

naaaaaaa no thanks :wave:

Russell2k7
June 4, 2007, 07:58 PM
Now that it is obvious that he is being rejected for the Indian Job, will BD give Whatmore another chance?
Voted No for Recent times... But in the future when we are a better side I would love to have him in our team.

Electrequiem
June 4, 2007, 08:07 PM
Here's my two cents...

Looking at Dav's OVERALL contribution to BD cricket, one would say he should come back (assuming he wants the duty again). But, I believe the circumstances of the BD team are much different now than what it was when Dav took charge. We weren't "used" to winning :). No offense to Dav, but he still follows a defensive attitude towards the game (just look at 1st Test vs India ... 250 was a more than manageable target ... and "let's bowl first!" in the 2nd test). The BD team requires a coach who can afford to break the 'shackles' on the BD team, if you will, and go for the kill every match, regardless of the opposition and/or qualms about BD's potential. Especially now, with a change in the BD helm -- a transformation from "defensive conventionalism" to "youthful exuberance"-- we need a likewise transformation in our coaching figure.

allrounder
June 4, 2007, 08:27 PM
Dav tried to change our losing mentality, that was his main focus to believe in ourselves and try to work on small targets. But our players never mastered that skill of achieving small targets and working on smaller improvements.

Trigger_Tiger
June 4, 2007, 09:51 PM
Here's my two cents...

Looking at Dav's OVERALL contribution to BD cricket, one would say he should come back (assuming he wants the duty again). But, I believe the circumstances of the BD team are much different now than what it was when Dav took charge. We weren't "used" to winning :). No offense to Dav, but he still follows a defensive attitude towards the game (just look at 1st Test vs India ... 250 was a more than manageable target ... and "let's bowl first!" in the 2nd test). The BD team requires a coach who can afford to break the 'shackles' on the BD team, if you will, and go for the kill every match, regardless of the opposition and/or qualms about BD's potential. Especially now, with a change in the BD helm -- a transformation from "defensive conventionalism" to "youthful exuberance"-- we need a likewise transformation in our coaching figure.

In a test match on a dying 5th day pitch that di not have enough of the batting juice left in it with bolwerrs bolwing unplayable wide deliveries without them being called wides (naturally it was a test match!).....it was NOT in anyways a managable task.....not that day, not with the bowlers bowling that line on that pitch. What could have been done was that Mash could have been promoted up the order to see how far Bangladesh can go.
What if we went down swinging? Oh then a lot of us, if not us, then the majortiy of the Bangladeshi people would criticize him and the team for taking a "reckless" decision to win a sure-draw game. That's the nature, the trend in our beatiful countries with sometimes crazy people.

He did well in the first test. It was the second test which was a disappointment. But to ruthlessly single him out is just like being Sunil Gavaskar here! The blame was not his own, the coach speaks, the captain, the management and the team contirubute to the ultimate decision. The blame was shared by them all.

I'm for Dav Whatmore in the future (near or not-so-near) when Bangladesh (hopefully) will become a much stronger team!

gatekeeper
June 4, 2007, 09:55 PM

Right. His usefullness qith BD has pretty much expired. He's taken us as far he can. Its time for new blood.

Nafis_BD
June 4, 2007, 10:15 PM
Whatmore certainly has contributated alot for us in the recent years but I think it's time for us to move on.....New Captain, New Vice-Captain, New Coach but if Richard Mccines or anyother good coaches aren't left then I think we should get whatmore back!!!

jabbar
June 4, 2007, 10:26 PM
As they say, "a bird in the hand i better than a bird in the bush". Although I would prefer to have a new coach with fresh ideas, we mustn't forget that Whatmore has been, and is, a good coach who took SL to World Cup victory. If all else fails, I think we should keep Dav in hand should he wish to take up his old position.

Farhad
June 4, 2007, 10:41 PM
Whatmore has been great, but i think ill go with practically everybody else in here and say that we need new blood...Hes been with us for 4 great years. We cant stay with a coach for that long and still learn new ideas, no matter how good he is...

Sohel
June 4, 2007, 11:16 PM
from Dav in line for India

PTI, Bangalore

"Gavaskar has been severe in his indirect criticism of the Australian in his syndicated column, referring to the way in which Bangladesh did not make an effort to chase the target set by India in the opening Test in Chittagong and for opting to field after winning the toss in the second and final Test at Mirpur."

one of my acquaintances left her husband of 5 years to hook up with an older, more sophisticated, ex-rockstar type. that lasted less than two months as the grim realitites of cohabitation quickly overcame the lure, and hit her new lover harder than anyone anticipated. she went back to her younger husband, and he took her back with open arms, a bit too steeped in delusions of dalai lama-like grandeur. that bittersweet reconciliation lasted less than a month. the unsightly scar left behind by the initial breakup just didn't go away for the husband, and his wife couldn't quite "rebound" with the same man she shared 5 years of her life with.

and Dav Whatmore? the man obviously played his part in getting our cricket to the better place it finds itself in today, but he didn't renew his contract when given the chance. swallowing one's pride shouldn't be made into a habit, unless you can really turn the other cheek and don't mind getting spanked whenever the mood suits the object of your desire. behayapona is indeed a bit different from genuine masochism, and difference between masochism and divine nobility beyond the common grasp is less than subtle. we need to look at options other than the three just mentioned. the recently completed test series showed a Dav we didn't want to see. the indians saw those things too and decided not go further than the heavy flirtation, perhaps even an intense makeout session, and nip all other possibilities in the bud. except for the BCCI, beijjoti all-around.

to quote the immortal soundbite from Fazal in this thread, "Thanks but no thanks :D "

a little self-respect can do our cricket better than just a "lot of good".

kaisermatin
June 4, 2007, 11:17 PM
Nooooo, not as a head coach. Not again! His main target was to make BD a respectable test playing nation. He failed his priorities. But his success was in the ODIs. We can make him an ODI asst. coach.

Zunaid
June 4, 2007, 11:20 PM
How about this (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=102395&highlight=financible#post102395)

Sohel
June 4, 2007, 11:37 PM
The anti-Whatmore volleys are getting larger and more frequent! Or at least questioning some of the coaches approach and methodology. I have always been a strong Whatmore-keep-him-at-all-cost and no-criticisms-are-worthy kind of person but perhaps now a little bit more "extrospection" is in order.

I have always tried to draw a business analogy to coaches and cricket teams - where cricket teams are companies in various stages of maturity - start-up, growth, mature. A coach is then like a CEO - depending on the type of team. A start-up requires a different type of CEO from a growth stage company. For a growth-phase company, the fundamentals are sound, and the CEO is oftentasked with taking to the company to a financible stage where a different breed of CEO takes over. I know I am simplifying my analysis a bit and business-type persons like Rafique can elaborate more or shoot down my theory (better not!).

I have always seen Whatmore as the CEO of a growth stage company. The fundamentals are sound and he is tasked with taking the team to the next stage - i.e. what he did to Sri Lanka. Once there, a different CEO takes over - like Wright for India.

And I made a similar leap vis a vis Bangladesh. The fundamentals are sound - and Whatmore's task is to carry us over the chasm. The fundamental fallacy of my reasoning was with assuming that the fundamentals are all hunky dory for Bangladesh.

The fundamentals are NOT ok - we do not have a solid infrastructure and our resouce base is very thin. We are basically at the start-up phase and we need a different methodology and strategy to get to the next step - solid fundamentals. Is Whatmore the right person for this? Perhaps not. Perhaps what we need is a CEO ala McInnes - who is more into instilling the basics into the team rather than acting as almost an aloof mentor to a team already there. Sri Lanka was already there - all needed as a guiding hand and confidence building rah-rah-rah and support.

Bangladesh is not there yet. We need more than just a guiding hand - we need a firm hand with a strong whip.

Edited on, December 17, 2004, 11:46 PM GMT, by Zunaid.

nothing less than prophetic, and great "extrospection" too. we cannot blow this opportunity to "rescure" our cricket from further stagnation.

PoorFan
June 5, 2007, 01:12 AM
I did not went through the thread yet, but ... Following BD football tradition, our club team may ask Dav for coach.:shh:

cricket_king
June 5, 2007, 01:18 AM
Time for a change......new coach please :-D

BANFAN
June 5, 2007, 01:45 AM
Prob need new brains for the next level.
Just hope, we don't land up with some one like chappel, that's the risk
We need a pro coach

ammark
June 5, 2007, 05:12 AM
How about this (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=102395&highlight=financible#post102395)

Thats such a reality check. Since 2004 December, till 2007 June... we've progressed but at snail's pace :-| This stagnation REALLY is bad. We've lamented on the lack of a first class structure, and much credit for the half done technique of the young stars shooting up is to RM. Even he complained on how without top quality structure, all BD batsmen tended to fall back into their old bad habits.

*Hangs head with disappointment*

Shafin
June 5, 2007, 06:05 AM
No,thanks.

Rabz
June 5, 2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks for his contribution.
But id also have to voice like most of us.
Thanks but no thanks.

Wish him all the best in his next venture.

BanCricFan
June 5, 2007, 08:15 AM

Thats my sentiment too.
lol OMG lol
:-p

Tigers_eye
June 5, 2007, 09:19 AM
Coaches come back to the same team in many instances especially when he/she have had success. The only way this can happen when the first time breakup was due to health or exhaustion of being in one place and needed a break for a mental recuppment.

This is not the case now. He is willing to be a coach for another team even tommorow. That puts a sour taste to the team, management and fans. Hense it is better for him not to come back at least at this time. May be 5 years from now? who knows!

Rubu
June 5, 2007, 09:46 AM
If we don't get McInnes, I'll still take whatmore.

CricFan001
June 5, 2007, 11:22 PM
someone else for next 2 years and bring back DW for the next 2 to win WC 2011

syzygy
June 6, 2007, 01:50 PM
If we don't get McInnes, I'll still take whatmore.

yea, it seems apparently they are finding it hard to get somebody as evident from the recent statement from the bangladesh cricket control board CEO.

Rajowana
June 6, 2007, 02:00 PM
How many chances shud Bd give to whatmore.It's time to just move on.

GothamCity
June 6, 2007, 02:12 PM
His contributions nevertheless, I don't think anyone appreciated the fact that he openly declared he was interested in coaching India while still in charge of Bangladesh during the World Cup. BTW, John Emburey for India ? Why do these guys want an unsuccessful coach ? They;ll probably go with Ford, but Whatmore was a better choice than Emburey.

damalChele
June 6, 2007, 02:13 PM
Dav has done very well for BD. BD cricket is moving forward to a new dimension with young captain and vice captain and full of young players in the squad. No more negative mentality (fingers crossed) like Bashar. We fans believe attack is the best form of defense. Ashraful is set to quench our thirst. So all these new and fresh changes are in place, I think we should look for a new face as the head coach. Mentally players will be looking forward to working the new man. If it's Dav again, I am sure some players will think Oh! No! Here we go again!

With a new coach it will be a new era for our cricket..Let's give that a chance.

Protic
June 6, 2007, 05:13 PM
I'll go for Mcinnes.. if not ..Whatmore will do for me.
So 50-50 for me.

selina
June 6, 2007, 06:17 PM
I actually feel a little sorry for Whatmore. After trying to get the India job in such an obvious way, he's rejected. And even though he's done a lot for Bangladesh cricket, it would be a desperate move by BCB if they brought him back even though it's clear he wants the India job. Afterall I don't think Whatmore himself wants to stay.