PDA

View Full Version : Bashar to play for another 3 years!

Timtim
June 5, 2007, 04:46 PM
Channel I sports news just had a coverage on Haba. After getting "shera bengali" award (or nomination?) they interviewed him and he said he still feels confident and is willing to play on for atleast another 3 years! He was even quoted saying "Ami karo korunay noy, nijer joggotai dole thakte chai" :lol:

:o :o :o :o :o :o :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :-|

In a press conference yesterday, Faruq said Haba is a great player, but he might not fit in well with the young bloods. It seemed like Haba might get cut off from ODI squad, but might just hang out to play more tests.

Tigers_eye
June 5, 2007, 04:53 PM
Why stop at 3? why not till 40? Ooops in three years he would be 40 (real age). Best wishes to Habibul Bashar on his next three years.

Farhad
June 5, 2007, 05:01 PM
There are many cricketers that say that one day, say that they have never felt better in their lives, and then retire after 6 months. A classic example is Mcgrath. Habib might do the same...

Niceman70
June 5, 2007, 05:34 PM
what is he upto??

Electrequiem
June 5, 2007, 05:38 PM
aww cmon man .... now that he is not the captain anymore, lets see how he performs. Don't forget, he was our classiest player once. IMO, he will improve now that he does not carry the burden that comes with the captaincy.

Zobair
June 5, 2007, 07:19 PM
If he performs he should play. If he doesn't he will be dropped. There is nothing wrong/ridiculous about him wanting to prove his worth. Any self-respecting player who feels that have something to offer will give it his best. His job is to keep trying his best. Playing him or dropping him is upto the selectors. If everyone does their job right it will be the best outcome for our cricket. End of story.

BD Tigers
June 5, 2007, 08:09 PM
another thread open to bash the x-captain. useless.

if he can prove to the selectors that he can play for another 3 yrs then he will get to play for 3 yrs. u dont have to be so surprised abt it, in fact appreciate his goals. If he can, it will be good for our cricket.

sadi
June 5, 2007, 08:18 PM
I have no problem having him in the team if he can perform like he used to. Nothing personal against him. You perform, you play. Simple.

Kabir
June 5, 2007, 08:53 PM
If he performs he should play. If he doesn't he will be dropped. There is nothing wrong/ridiculous about him wanting to prove his worth. Any self-respecting player who feels that have something to offer will give it his best. His job is to keep trying his best. Playing him or dropping him is upto the selectors. If everyone does their job right it will be the best outcome for our cricket. End of story.

You just spoke my mind.

He said "Ami karo korunay noy, nijer joggotai dole thakte chai", which is absolutely right. If he can prove his joggota, he'll play. That's what he meant.

And I don't see why everything he says has to be taken in a negative manner. How we forget someone's contribution in the past due to the past few months' events...simply baffles me.

Aritro
June 5, 2007, 09:06 PM
Not that he's relinquished the captaincy I don't care how long he stays as long as he performs.

Timtim
June 5, 2007, 09:29 PM
another thread open to bash the x-captain. useless.

if he can prove to the selectors that he can play for another 3 yrs then he will get to play for 3 yrs. u dont have to be so surprised abt it, in fact appreciate his goals. If he can, it will be good for our cricket.
So far he has proved (since world cup, actually sometime before that) that he is not up to the ODI standard.

Nafees does bad in a game, he gets dropped for the next two. Tushar Imran does not even get a chance to play. Yet, bashar keeps scoring ducks and still in the team.

All I'm saying here is having a (or keep rotating between new talents, pick out the gems) young batsman replacing him is more valuable in the long term than trying to leech the every last bit of him for a couple more years.

You just spoke my mind.

He said "Ami karo korunay noy, nijer joggotai dole thakte chai", which is absolutely right. If he can prove his joggota, he'll play. That's what he meant.

And I don't see why everything he says has to be taken in a negative manner. How we forget someone's contribution in the past due to the past few months' events...simply baffles me.
Ability has to do with consistency. He has not been consistent in the recent time. He gets out in the most amateurish ways.

He has had more chances to get back on his feet more than any other players, and that is because he used to be very good. It is because the selectors still have some hope in him, but I think sympathy plays a bigger role than hope here.

He announced retirement and canceled that in a matter of days. He is not confident about what he wants to do. He should atleast take a break, think things through. Past contributions are great, much appreciated, but you can't justify present bottleneck with past contributions. Imran Khan used to be great, but if he still kept on playing to this date I don't think he would be able to perform like he used to.

Murad
June 5, 2007, 09:47 PM
if he can perfrom.. why not?? hes a good test player... i think he willl do better in the upcoming series.

Protic
June 5, 2007, 10:08 PM
Woah.. if he wanna play..thats good..he feels good about himself..and that would be good for us aswell.. IF he starts performing like the real bashar.

Sohel
June 5, 2007, 10:41 PM
joy.

yaseer
June 5, 2007, 10:44 PM
[quote=Timtim;475076]
quoted saying "Ami karo korunay noy, nijer joggotai dole thakte chai" :lol:
quote]

What is so funny about it??
It has become a fashion to laugh at Habibul Bashar.....and those who knows and follows Bangladesh cricket cannot do that.

On an interview Farique also said that more than 20% of Bangladesh's runs in test is scored by Habibul Bashar....this is the fact of the great man who his going through some tough time now.

If Habibul can relly score runs in tests and play for 3 years.......it will be great for our team....best wishes to him.

james007
June 5, 2007, 10:59 PM
Fans will not watch cricket for 3 years, u know they don't want to see BAngladesh losing for another 3 years :)

Kabir
June 5, 2007, 11:15 PM
TimTim, just sad that you failed to follow my arguments.

I see our cricketers as people very VERY close to me. If my dad did everything right all his life, but for the past 5 years he does everything wrong, I'm not gonna call him a loser. And I won't laugh at him every time he utters a word. Same goes for my brother, my mom, and my sister. If I can consider our players in the same way, as a part of my family, I would consider their success and failures in exactly the same way.

May be I sound loserish saying this. But that's just how I feel.

Sohel
June 5, 2007, 11:17 PM

I see our cricketers as people very VERY close to me. If my dad did everything right all his life, but for the past 5 years he does everything wrong, I'm not gonna call him a loser. And I won't laugh at him every time he utters a word. Same goes for my brother, my mom, and my sister. If I can consider our players in the same way, as a part of my family, I would consider their success and failures in exactly the same way.

no you don't sound loserish at all. i'm tired of bashing the bash myself, but he just keeps on popping back into the scene due to exasperating favoritism from faruikka and company, and with his own unscrupulous words - not the runs that can effectively stop the conversation, runs we'd all like to see. HaBa controlling his compulsions, we never will.

Timtim
June 5, 2007, 11:49 PM

You should not call him a loser. If he is a wise man, he will realize his time is over and will step aside. Otherwise it is upto you to break the news to him that it's time to pass the torch. It is nothing personal, but for the general good of the family.

All I'm trying to say is even Ashraful, when he is nearing the end of his career, at the age of 37 lets say, and can barely get any run...if he is a team player he should retire and make room for the others instead of being the weakest link. Quit while you're ahead.

Antora
June 6, 2007, 02:31 AM
OMG bashar ki chay? captaincy nawar dhanday naki? well guess wat bashar u aint gettin it bak.. so u might as well just get LOST!!!!!!!
just goes to show how much of a LOOSERIFIC bashar iz.......

Imtiazk
June 6, 2007, 08:39 AM
If Bashar plods on many other jokes will gain currency. I sincerely hope it will not come to that.

If he seriously wants to carry on, as he is entitled to do, then I do recommend he has an eye test asap. As I know, this is the age [ +/- 4 years ], when eye sight deteriorates fast. I am speaking from xperience.

A lot of his "kanchis" and not hitting the middle of the bat could easily be attributed to that. It eventually happens to everyone.

Rabz
June 6, 2007, 09:01 AM
If he performs like his haydays in test...let him stay for another 10 years..
why should age be a factor??
after all, arent we injected 16 17 year olds in the team anyway..??
age is not a factor over there...

And to be honest, im getting quite frustated with his name calling these days.
Slowly its getting on my nerves.
The guy has done nothing wrong in that scale that all of a sudden he is being called this and that....
Quite disrespectful id say.
It made sense when during the world cup he wasnt performing well, captaincy was in a bit disarray, people got frustated... bluh bluh bluh...

but since then, he has lost his captaincy, almost certain to loose his place in the odi team, hanging by a thread on the test squad.
Isnt it enough reprimend already??

He deserves to be respected by his own right also.

Tigers_eye
June 6, 2007, 09:11 AM
Players don't see their own decline. They think they still have the timing and ability to pull a short ball as they could in their hay days. Not everyone is De Silva or jayasuriya. The only thing Bashar needs to do is stop talking to the media and practice at the net and spend time in the Gym. Otherwise his end would be worse than K Mahmud. BCB tried to give him a farewell from the ODI and he didn't take that. Now got axed from the team. Same will happen in the test.

Kabir bhaia,
The recent string of failed performances only says that it will continue unless he takes time off (which he wouldn't) and concentrates on the basics plus as Imtiazk bhai mentioned check his eye sight. Past performance can't help the current team. Team comes first to me not players no matter if he in my own brother.

I also agree with Sydney on if he can perform then why only 3 years? why not as long as can perform which can go to 10 more years (with a runner). Age is no factor when performing be it 18 or 48.

akabir77
June 6, 2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks bashar for setting up such goals.

If he can perform and stay in the team good for him and great for bangladesh cricket cuase we still don't have a good Test batsman yet. Go bashar go. Do a ganguli on us...

BANFAN
June 6, 2007, 09:15 AM
If he performs like his haydays in test...let him stay for another 10 years.....
why should age be a factor??

Superb. Absolutely. It's performance not age.
He may be allowed to come and go by stretchers (Subj to Rules) and hit centuries & win matches.... no probs, if he can. :lol:

battye
June 6, 2007, 09:15 AM
If he wants to play for 3 years, sure, go for it. But he must perform, and earn his spot in the side.

He can't expect to be an automatic selection like he was as captain...

Rajowana
June 6, 2007, 12:30 PM
Oh well atleast he isn't the captain anymore!!

Sauron
June 6, 2007, 12:31 PM

Who is Ha Ba to you? Dad, Mom, Bro or Sis?? I mean if he is family .... you know.

Anyway, kidding aside, even though I don't quite relate to TimTim's tone, but I agree with substance. If HaBa wants to stay in the team by performing, then it does bring a little wry smile in the face. His performance of late doesn't bring too much confidence that he can stay on in the team.

But I agree with most of the guys here that this test series in SL will be a test for him. If even without pressure of captaincy he fails with the bat, he should not get a place in the ODI team. And that is what Ha Ba is saying as well, isn't he?

Kabir
June 6, 2007, 12:57 PM
Sauron, I really hope you were joking when you wrote the first line.

cracky
June 6, 2007, 01:05 PM
wow. that's a good news for us. I thought he would want to play 10 more years.

sandpiper
June 6, 2007, 01:06 PM
:floor:
wow. that's a good news for us. I thought he would want to play 10 more years.

Sohel
June 6, 2007, 01:09 PM
Players don't see their own decline. They think they still have the timing and ability to pull a short ball as they could in their hay days. Not everyone is De Silva or jayasuriya. The only thing Bashar needs to do is stop talking to the media and practice at the net and spend time in the Gym. Otherwise his end would be worse than K Mahmud. BCB tried to give him a farewell from the ODI and he didn't take that. Now got axed from the team. Same will happen in the test.

Kabir bhaia,
The recent string of failed performances only says that it will continue unless he takes time off (which he wouldn't) and concentrates on the basics plus as Imtiazk bhai mentioned check his eye sight. Past performance can't help the current team. Team comes first to me not players no matter if he in my own brother.

I also agree with Sydney on if he can perform then why only 3 years? why not as long as can perform which can go to 10 more years (with a runner). Age is no factor when performing be it 18 or 48.

quitting cigarettes will help too.

well put bro, especially the very first three lines. also, what makes us think he'll be able to manage his technical compulsions better now, towards the butt-end of his career? a miracle?

Sauron
June 6, 2007, 02:28 PM
Sauron, I really hope you were joking when you wrote the first line.
Of course I was man! :D

babubangla
June 6, 2007, 04:46 PM
Bashar to play for another 3 years!

http://www.boi-mela.com/_FPageB/Book6741.JPG

:)

sandpiper
June 6, 2007, 04:52 PM
babubangla bhai, you are simply peerless :floor: :floor:

zahid
June 6, 2007, 06:05 PM
Jaitey nahi mor chai ...

sandpiper
June 6, 2007, 06:07 PM
:-/

Jaitey nahi mor chai ...

selina
June 6, 2007, 06:23 PM
Sure you can come back Bashar. But only when you improve your batting and especially your attitude towards the game. Times have changed and the new generation doesn't just want to play, they want to WIN! Once you can contribute with your batting and positve mentality you'll be welcomed back to the team.

Rabz
June 6, 2007, 09:10 PM
A century in the first test against SL could change everything for Bashar.
Praying to God Almighty he can do that.
We still need his experience, maturity and (old)batting ability in this very very young team.

Hatebreed
June 6, 2007, 09:21 PM
From now on he has to retain his place in the team with performance. I know he's a capable batsmen for test cricket, hopefully he can still prove that in SL.

Beamer
June 6, 2007, 09:21 PM
As long as he never capatins again he can set any goal for himself. In the process if he gets some semblance of his old form back, good for him, and good for us in tests..

Sohel
June 7, 2007, 07:49 AM
As long as he never capatins again he can set any goal for himself. In the process if he gets some semblance of his old form back, good for him, and good for us in tests..

too many ifs and buts for it to be anything other than wishful thinking. it would have been simpler and more fruitful to go with someone without those big ifs and buts. sadly, with his "sentimental" inclusion into the test side, there's not much else we can do at this point ... phaissa gech'hi !

rupantor
June 7, 2007, 09:14 AM

So Habibul is our Khelaram.... :lol:

Miraz
June 7, 2007, 09:28 AM
The thread started with a news which never appeared in any national dailies or electronic media (except Channel 1 as claimed by the thread opener). If Bashar have said such thing, it would have definitely appeared in electronic or print media.

We are ridiculing him even without verifying the news.

Not a good trend at all.

BANFAN
June 7, 2007, 11:50 AM
Even if the source was boggy, yet wasn't a bad idea to to have a discussion on HB's future.

Was good to see that most of us welcomes HB in the team with good performance. Hope he puts up a solid performance in Srilanka.

What should be a solid performance expected from HB? 2/3 good fifties !!

Sauron
June 7, 2007, 01:42 PM
The thread started with a news which never appeared in any national dailies or electronic media (except Channel 1 as claimed by the thread opener). If Bashar have said such thing, it would have definitely appeared in electronic or print media.

We are ridiculing him even without verifying the news.

Not a good trend at all.

Bashar said it in TV interviews

I have seen the interview on NTV at a minimum, if not Channel-I and NTV both. He was wearing a red/white vertical striped half-sleeve shirt. Sorry cannot provide anymore proof.

Beamer
June 7, 2007, 01:49 PM
too many ifs and buts for it to be anything other than wishful thinking. it would have been simpler and more fruitful to go with someone without those big ifs and buts. sadly, with his "sentimental" inclusion into the test side, there's not much else we can do at this point ... phaissa gech'hi !

It indeed is wishful thinking on my part. I really doubt if he will ever regain his test form again. Actually, its not a matter of form anymore. He is on a steady decline, which in my mind is irrereversable, due to age related diminshment of eye sight and reflexes. But, since he will be playing the test series ( will probably play all three tests since we didn't bring any cover for the middle order ! ), there is nothing left but to hope for the best.

gatekeeper
June 7, 2007, 02:03 PM
Anyine play as long as he wishes. Getting selected is another matter.

rah
June 7, 2007, 02:54 PM
There are many cricketers that say that one day, say that they have never felt better in their lives, and then retire after 6 months. A classic example is Mcgrath. Habib might do the same...

lol. im bettin he is going to retire on our tour of new zealand at da end of dis year

SideWinder
June 7, 2007, 04:01 PM
he is in an extended patch of bad form..watch him excel in tests

BANFAN
June 8, 2007, 02:23 AM
he is in an extended patch of bad form..watch him excel in tests

Let's hope so

Removal from captaincy might work as the tonic to terminate that extension!!

Timtim
June 9, 2007, 03:58 AM
Age, on its own is not the factor. But, the reasonable conclusion that you can turn from past players is that you can not perform as good in your late 30s/early 40s as you used to in your early days. I am not saying he should stop playing soon as he turns XX years old, but simply treat it as a sign.

Even if he does make a heroic comeback, it won't last more than a few matches.

cricketboy
June 9, 2007, 01:57 PM
Even if he scores runs in the tests he should not be picked for the ODI series. He fails to rotate the strike in ODIs and lacks hitting abilty plus he is not an opener to see off the new ball. Tushar Imran deserves to play.

Shahjamal
June 12, 2007, 12:07 PM

This is actully the same I want to say. Khelaram Jodi Khelar Joggota Dekhate Pare Ta Hole Khele Zak..............