PDA

View Full Version : India chase Ford with $1 million-a-year offer

syzygy
June 6, 2007, 03:37 PM
dont u think thats a huge salary and a too tempting offer to deny?

Read on: http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=17&art_id=vn20070606095401123C458206

Quote from Ford :

"This is the biggest job in world cricket - there's nothing bigger than this and if I have to land it and retire after a stint with this country - whose players are outstanding and who have a core of really world class stars, supporters who are passionate about the game and in a country that lives the game - then I would have achieved everything a cricket coach would want."

btw how much do other cricket board pays?

Orion
June 6, 2007, 03:42 PM
i am sure not as much as India. BCCI is the richest cricketing body but they are incompetent. Paying the national coach so much money while the domestic structure is so poor hardly seems mature.

reverse_swing
June 6, 2007, 03:45 PM
btw how much do other cricket board pays?

old news but you can get some idea
http://www.dispatch.co.za/2003/04/21/sport/COACH.HTM

syzygy
June 6, 2007, 03:56 PM
old news but you can get some idea
http://www.dispatch.co.za/2003/04/21/sport/COACH.HTM

ok thats around 100 grands for whatmore in his previous stint as bd coach, probably he should make double now. wat about the rest like buchanan, arthur or fletcher for that matter? i know soccer coaches are paid handsomely but it seems cricket coaches salaries are on the rise too.

syzygy
June 6, 2007, 04:04 PM
i am sure not as much as India. BCCI is the richest cricketing body but they are incompetent. Paying the national coach so much money while the domestic structure is so poor hardly seems mature.

i dont think they ae totally incompetent, yes there is politics all around but its bound to happen when theres involves so much money and country is so big.

but i heard that domestic players and other retired players are also earning quite good these days and there is improvement slowly but its there.at least the infrastructure is in place, u cant complain about the facilities in most of the test venues, they are world class.

i think bcb is also getting richer, so all good news for asian cricket!

Nafi
June 6, 2007, 05:38 PM
Dav watmore was payed $120 K annually from BCB.

Farhad
June 6, 2007, 08:04 PM
One million??:wow: That is ALOT of money for a cricket coach. Lunch money for soccer coaches though...

ialbd
June 6, 2007, 08:34 PM
is ford worth this money?

Rabz
June 6, 2007, 09:31 PM
The country that generates about 50-60% of world cricket revenue, media attention, hype and is the core of the cricket business with a board getting Billion dollar for media rights, it is hardly surprising the see their Head Coac is being paid a cool One Million Dollar p.a for the stint.

Coaching indian team might be the most lucrative job in cricket world, but it comes with lots and lots of cons and they certainly needed to be repaid by those hefty amount.

No wonder Whatmore was going gaga about his chances.
I cant blame the man.

Guess he was getting around USD 120-150K per year for his BD job.
Which is still very very competitive in the international coaching area.

But with the recent improvement of our team, more and more media attention with a bigger pay day(tv rights) and optimistic future predictions, i guess our board this time would have to cough up more money if they wanna get someone like Wright or any other high profile coach.

May be around 150K -170K ?

syzygy
June 7, 2007, 12:30 AM
well i think the report i quoted is much hyped and the figure $ 1 million is not realistic to me. i rather believe that the new coach would perhaps make less than that of guru greg. And I agree with you that there ll be lot of pressure whoever be the coach. But Ford being an introvert unlike his predecessor and more like John wright might be able to duck the media limelight.

The country that generates about 50-60% of world cricket revenue, media attention, hype and is the core of the cricket business with a board getting Billion dollar for media rights, it is hardly surprising the see their Head Coac is being paid a cool One Million Dollar p.a for the stint.

Coaching indian team might be the most lucrative job in cricket world, but it comes with lots and lots of cons and they certainly needed to be repaid by those hefty amount.

No wonder Whatmore was going gaga about his chances.
I cant blame the man.

Guess he was getting around USD 120-150K per year for his BD job.
Which is still very very competitive in the international coaching area.

But with the recent improvement of our team, more and more media attention with a bigger pay day(tv rights) and optimistic future predictions, i guess our board this time would have to cough up more money if they wanna get someone like Wright or any other high profile coach.

May be around 150K -170K ?

zahid
June 7, 2007, 07:34 AM
Bechara Dave ekhon bekaar.

indfan82
June 7, 2007, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=syzygy;476224]dont u think thats a huge salary and a too tempting offer to deny?

Read on: http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=17&art_id=vn20070606095401123C458206
{/quote]
Dont know how credible the source is.. in all probability its total crap not true at all
none of the indian media is reporting this infact it is being agreed that he is gonnabepaid far less than guru greg

BangladeshFan
June 7, 2007, 03:22 PM
guru greg lost his "guru giri" by his tokkor with guru gangu.:floor:

ialbd
June 7, 2007, 03:42 PM
....infact it is being agreed that he is gonnabepaid far less than guru greg

makes sense, spending that much money (more than chappel) on ford is as good as crapping money....

but I still think India wud have been better with an Indian coach right now, unlike us who needs a foreign coach to keep up the momentum Dev left us with....

Rabz
June 8, 2007, 05:12 AM
makes sense, spending that much money (more than chappel) on ford is as good as crapping money....

but I still think India wud have been better with an Indian coach right now, unlike us who needs a foreign coach to keep up the momentum Dev left us with....

Dont get me wrong, its not directed at you or anything.

IMO, i could not care less what india needs or should do.
Could not give a rat's back about them.
We've got our problem to solve at home.
More concerned about that.

Surfer
June 8, 2007, 06:22 AM
Dont get me wrong, its not directed at you or anything.

IMO, i could not care less what india needs or should do.
Could not give a rat's back about them.
We've got our problem to solve at home.
More concerned about that.

Dont you think that is the reason why this topic is on "inetrnational cricket". If you dont give a rat's back to anything other than domestic issues, there is an entire section here for you. Have fun there :)

As far as payments are concerned, I doubt this news is genuine but I wont be surprised if BCCI pays that amount to the new coach.

Orion
June 8, 2007, 07:54 AM

Synergy,
When I said domestic cricket is poor, I wasn't referring to the amount of money players get paid. I was referring to poor local coaching, umpiring, poor pitches for local games and overall a poor domestic format with too many teams and too many games. Considering the fact that India won the world cup in 83', it hardly made any improvements in domestic cricket compared to the likes of Australia and even Sri Lanka for that matter. BD only came to international cricket in 2000 (test status) and I am not saying that our domestic setup is better but we have modeled it behind Australia and with time it will only get better. I think India have failed in that regard.

indfan82
June 8, 2007, 08:01 AM
Synergy,
When I said domestic cricket is poor, I wasn't referring to the amount of money players get paid. I was referring to poor local coaching, umpiring, poor pitches for local games and overall a poor domestic format with too many teams and too many games. Considering the fact that India won the world cup in 83', it hardly made any improvements in domestic cricket compared to the likes of Australia and even Sri Lanka for that matter. BD only came to international cricket in 2000 (test status) and I am not saying that our domestic setup is better but we have modeled it behind Australia and with time it will only get better. I think India have failed in that regard.
true ....hopefully it will change for the best... atleast steps have been taken to improve the pitches ..atleast that is what was seem from the afro asia cup

Surfer
June 8, 2007, 10:39 AM
Synergy,

Well, the Indian infrastructure for domestic cricket is not as bad as you make it look like. Yes, in interior areas, there are still some facilities needed. I think with Zee's plans of the Indian league, things will improve fast in India. As far as the money spent by BCCI is concerned, I also want them to be more transparant in their funds flow. I wonder what they have been doing with all that money.....

syzygy
June 8, 2007, 01:49 PM
Synergy,

i think u meant me although u quoted the wrong nick!

i agree with u that there is not so much marked improvement. But the pitches are getting better (at least the last 2-3 yrs) - there are a few fast and bouncy pitches in the country now and its encouraging the fast bowlers. u may notice that we have few youngstars coming up steadily like Munaf Patel, Sreesanth etc. also the stadiums in the country are becoming excellent in terms of facilities available. But yea, the domestic format, umpiring still very much sk[]s.hope the new indian cricket league will force the bcci to change the existing format and also improve the level of umpring.

Shafin
June 8, 2007, 03:02 PM
How's the ICL plan going?

syzygy
June 8, 2007, 03:16 PM
How's the ICL plan going?

i think they signed up glenn mcgrath, shane warne and brian lara.it will take some more time before it materializes.