PDA

View Full Version : Gavaskar the Partial

zahid
June 6, 2007, 06:40 PM
As we all know, Gavaskar never likes us in Cricket. In all Afro-Asia cups before, he never picked players from our country for the ASIA XI. I wasn't surprised when I saw him again this time!

Someone tell me how including 6 INDIAN PLAYERS makes an ASIA XI !!!

2 from PAK
2 from SL
1 from BD

Btw, why was Razzak left out. Didn't he perform good in yesterday's 20-20 , which was much shorter? Is Harbhajan better than him ??? I don't see Harbhajan's name in the Top ten !:mad:

It should have been 3 from each country , except 2 from BD.

sandpiper
June 6, 2007, 06:49 PM
asian eleven is biased by indian selectors, its nothing new :sick: :sick:

bharat
June 6, 2007, 06:51 PM
asian eleven is biased by indian selectors, its nothing new :sick: :sick:

Guys you dint complain when there was only 1 Indian in the 20-20.Did u ?

sandpiper
June 6, 2007, 07:09 PM
no I didnt, because we won that match easily. 3 3 3 2 proportion could be fair for all.

Farhad
June 6, 2007, 07:44 PM
Razzak was left out because he isnt in the ODI squad. Hes only in the Twenty20 squad. If you ask why he was left out of the ODI squad to begin with, i have absolutely no idea. He deserves a place...

Farhad
June 6, 2007, 07:48 PM

The only reason there were 4 Bangladeshis in the Twenty20 is because they wanted to make it equal in their opinion. There were hardly any stars in the African team so they figured they would "de-star" the Asian team as well. Now that the stars are here, they offer just one berth to the Bangladeshi side. How is that fair? Razzak (or at least Rafique) deserved a place more than some of the other people that bowled today...

One World
June 6, 2007, 11:25 PM
i think mashrafe should quit and return, he has better things to do

akabir77
June 6, 2007, 11:30 PM
BTW during Gavaskers interview he never praised Razzak for his super bowling in 20/20 or mash and also tamim's batting...

he is so biased that he looks good as local radio commentator not an international one...

Farhad
June 6, 2007, 11:40 PM
BTW during Gavaskers interview he never praised Razzak for his super bowling in 20/20 or mash and also tamim's batting...

he is so biased that he looks good as local radio commentator not an international one...

lol...and when one of the other commentators said something about there being big names in the Asian side and included Ashraful, he actually cringed!

cricketboy
June 7, 2007, 12:35 AM
Why talk about a guy who is becoming []day by day.

Ganguly da
June 7, 2007, 01:30 AM
Why talk about a guy who is becoming []day by day.

c'mmon guys lets be civil

Nafi
June 7, 2007, 04:42 AM

[EDIT] Sorry mod I did not know that the word 'fool' and 'where the sun dont shine' was not civil of me.

Let me rephrase,

Gavaskar is not a nice person.

BD-Shardul
June 7, 2007, 04:44 AM

C'mmon Man, use your common sense a bit. Before telling the fans, tell your [] and biased commentator to be civil first. He was clearly uncomfortable with the BD players during the twenty20 interview.

israr
June 7, 2007, 05:07 AM
Why are you guys wasting your time on that overhyped Gavaskar. He doesn't understands the game, remember his 35* in 60 overs. His 'F grade' commentary devalues the great game of cricket. Just ignore this bald brained person. There is black sheep in every community.

israr
June 7, 2007, 05:13 AM
Why talk about a guy who is becoming [] day by day.

Seriously, Gavaskar is a bigtime L-)

Trigger_Tiger
June 7, 2007, 05:27 AM

Why should we? It was your selectors who didn't choose them for the Twenty20. Wasn't it?

Carte Blanche
June 7, 2007, 05:30 AM
That's precisely his point.

Trigger_Tiger
June 7, 2007, 05:32 AM
As we all know, Gavaskar never likes us in Cricket. In all Afro-Asia cups before, he never picked players from our country for the ASIA XI. I wasn't surprised when I saw him again this time!

Someone tell me how including 6 INDIAN PLAYERS makes an ASIA XI !!!

2 from PAK
2 from SL
1 from BD

Btw, why was Razzak left out. Didn't he perform good in yesterday's 20-20 , which was much shorter? Is Harbhajan better than him ??? I don't see Harbhajan's name in the Top ten !:mad:

I share the same view bro! I posted the following in the "Asia XI vs. Afria XI" ODIs thread :mad:!!!!!

Here is my dig on so many Indians being selected. Heck Why was Bhajji in in place of Razzak who is bowling a hundred times better than Bhajji at the moment in ODIs?

Here is my 2 cents on it:

The not-so-in-form Indian players need some good match practice before their tour of England!

Rafique would've bowled better. He would give about the same amount of runs or maybe less (saying so because of Pollock's domination over every boelwer today) but would have gotten some crucial wickets.

The pacers took some stick today, Zaheer didn't loke like the Zaheer we have known pretty lately (which is a crappy bowler). He looked better. Let's see how he shines under the English sun!

This really pissed me off! I'm not going to go into conspiracy theories and all the other such BS but truly, take a closer look into the lineup and you will figure WHY were better players left out to make room for mostly Indian players today and WHY were other MUCH BETTER Asian players who were available for play STILL left out?

If the answer would be because of a larger attendence, I would say that is pure *hagu* because seriously, having Ganguly, Yuvi and even Dhoni would get alot of crowd in!

These are players in-form! This is an official TOURNAMENT with the rightful ODI status!
It is not a friendly match being held purely for the entertainemnt factor as much!
Charity for sure but this IS a REAL GAME!

Why have players practice in such matches? Why not have them play in some domestic league? I mean seriously, this onse-sidedness is getting to my nerves!

I wouldn't be least surprised to see Fernando in Mortaza's place in the next match (understandable) and Bhajji still playing over Rafique who will be the 12th man!

Sorry but I just hate the masked Indian Cricketing politics and politicans who cover it up with a smile, a happy face and sweet words on the microphone L-)!

Shafin
June 7, 2007, 05:52 AM
Why talk about a guy who is becoming [] day by day.
He always was,remember 36 from 60 overs,batting through the innings in an odi?

Carte Blanche
June 7, 2007, 06:01 AM
He also had 10122 test runs at an average of 51.12. Interestingly enough, his ODI strike rate is 62.26. And yet his reputation in BC is worse than that of Boycott (all because of that 36*).

Trigger_Tiger
June 7, 2007, 06:06 AM
He also had 10122 test runs at an average of 51.12. Interestingly enough, his ODI strike rate is 62.26. And yet his reputation in BC is worse than that of Boycott (all because of that 36*).

It's not only his art that makes a man an artist. It is also his words and thinking.
And sadly Gavaskar is the crudest of them all in the whole of Indian Cricket.

Geoff is tons better because he is one of the most sensible speakers and an excellent critic ever that cricket has ever embraced :big_hug: !!!!!

Carte Blanche
June 7, 2007, 06:15 AM
I guess you totally missed the part where Boycott said even his mother can play better than the Bangladesh team. :)

Shafin
June 7, 2007, 06:18 AM
Geoff is tons better because he is one of the most sensible speakers and an excellent critic ever that cricket has ever embraced :big_hug: !!!!!

You got it wrong,Sunny might be the winner in this battle,but Boycott's mom has won the war years ago.

BTW,is mom still playing?

zahid
June 7, 2007, 07:29 AM
I guess you totally missed the part where Boycott said even his mother can play better than the Bangladesh team. :)

Tai naki? Boycott was my favourite commentator before reading this. Oh well... there's Ravi Shastri.

Sumon77
June 7, 2007, 07:37 AM
what you excpect from him? See the video below, didnt know this before. how come a captain take away his players from the field for a wrong LBW decision on himself. very selfish attitude.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jrp53wKHgb0

Tintin
June 7, 2007, 08:22 AM
what you excpect from him? See the video below, didnt know this before. how come a captain take away his players from the field for a wrong LBW decision on himself. very selfish attitude.

Aah, that is just one side of that story.

Till this point in that series (this was India's second innings of the third and last Test), India had by far the worse of umpiring decisions (infact, in the first innings of this Test, after Allan Border was clean bowled the umpires had to discuss before giving him out).

The result of the walkout was the umpires were badly shaken and suddenly the 50-50 decisions started going India's way, including a very bad caught behind (of John Dyson) which started Australia's second innings collapse. India, after conceding a lead of 182 in the first innings, bowled Australia out for 83 and won by 59 runs. It may not have been entirely intentional, but the walk-out turned out to be superb tactical decision.

Sohel
June 7, 2007, 08:23 AM
Tai naki? Boycott was my favourite commentator before reading this. Oh well... there's Ravi Shastri.

the man who recently came to teach us all about "HARD CRICKET" ? his wink made it sound more like "SHOKTO DANDA"?

we just need to win in order to shut these guys up.

BTW, gavaskar was one of the very few indians who thought of our victory against india in the world cup as well-deserved. he's a fair man, calls it as he sees it.

Trigger_Tiger
June 7, 2007, 08:25 AM

I guess you two missed the part where at the time he made the comments Bangladesh used to play pretty poor cricket. And over that, he is an Englishman. They always speak that way.

On the other hand Gavaskar is NOT an Englishman and from what you will see, he is hardly ever a good judge of any cricketers other than an Indian.

P.S. Yeah, this Boycott's mom thing, there is this really long joke about her on the net which I found to be pretty lame, but you guys may want to google it :-P!!!!!

Trigger_Tiger
June 7, 2007, 08:28 AM
the man who recently came to teach us all about "HARD CRICKET" ? his wink made it sound more like "SHOKTO DANDA"?

we just need to win in order to shut these guys up.

BTW, gavaskar was one of the very few indians who thought of our victory against india in the world cup as well-deserved. he's a fair man, calls it as he sees it

Apparently he did (I agree), but so what? He is still biased.
How can a man be fair if he is biased :-/?

Tintin
June 7, 2007, 08:31 AM
from what you will see, he is hardly ever a good judge of any cricketers other than an Indian.

Please search for Gavaskar in http://www.mashhur.com/item/wc92phase :)

Trigger_Tiger
June 7, 2007, 08:40 AM
Please search for Gavaskar in http://www.mashhur.com/item/wc92phase :)

Thank you Tintin! It's nice to know at one time he made sense more often than now :). BTW, just to be on the safe side.....I'm not undermining his ability as a player one bit, just his overly biased behavior.

Also, anyone can throw rocks at a team on the rise. Sure Pakistwan was a team on the rise back then, but it had been a strong team since before that statement was made. It's just that Pakistan won the matches which matetred most (I still love how Imran Khan forcefully made Inzi play even though he had an upset stomach I think it was :-p.....and thank God he played :)!!!!!).

psj
June 7, 2007, 08:50 AM
Dont u guys think its high time to come out of hatred for anything Indian.
If Sunny didnt sing high praises of ur stars ,u start abusing him and his cricketing skills.
Grow up!

Sumon77
June 7, 2007, 08:52 AM
Aah, that is just one side of that story.

Till this point in that series (this was India's second innings of the third and last Test), India had by far the worse of umpiring decisions (infact, in the first innings of this Test, after Allan Border was clean bowled the umpires had to discuss before giving him out).

The result of the walkout was the umpires were badly shaken and suddenly the 50-50 decisions started going India's way, including a very bad caught behind (of John Dyson) which started Australia's second innings collapse. India, after conceding a lead of 182 in the first innings, bowled Australia out for 83 and won by 59 runs. It may not have been entirely intentional, but the walk-out turned out to be superb tactical decision.

thanks... didnt know detail abt that series.

bharat
June 7, 2007, 09:27 AM
Why should we? It was your selectors who didn't choose them for the Twenty20. Wasn't it?

Thats my point too ...common guys dont be too impatient and dont jump on anything Indian.

Any sound bite from an Indian is scrutinized to death .

P.S: "your selectors" includes equal number of BD's too ....

Miraz
June 7, 2007, 09:37 AM
As a team, Bangladesh is doing better in ODIs, but it's difficult to pick individual players for the success.

Selectors must pick consistent performers to represent international sides. Mashrafe, Rafique and Razzak can only fill that criteria from Bangladesh. Razzak and Rafique offers same bowling option and selectors have picked Rafique due to his experience.

IMO, it's a fair call. There is nothing to blame selectors or Indians or anyone else.

Trigger_Tiger
June 7, 2007, 10:08 AM
Dont u guys think its high time to come out of hatred for anything Indian.
If Sunny didnt sing high praises of ur stars ,u start abusing him and his cricketing skills.
Grow up!

Sorry to disappoint anyone but I don't hate India, most of my friends are Indian and up until the captaincy went to Dravid India was my 2nd favorite team (before 2004 it was my favorite.....DADAAAAAAA :big_hug:).

I just can't deal with Razzak not being there as simple as that.

Trigger_Tiger
June 7, 2007, 10:12 AM
Achcha I was wondering, can this thread be brought to an end here, it's actually of no use crying over spilt milk for those of us who see it from the negative angle so why have this thread open at all anymore :-/?????

ialbd
June 7, 2007, 04:09 PM
Achcha I was wondering, can this thread be brought to an end here, it's actually of no use crying over spilt milk for those of us who see it from the negative angle so why have this thread open at all anymore :-/?????

good call.....

cricketboy
June 7, 2007, 05:56 PM

WHy should we be civil when he doesnt even praise our players when it is due. :sick: I have suspicion that he was against WHatmore beacuse he doesnt want India's coach to be a former Bangladeshi(inferior cricket team to him) coach.

istiak
June 7, 2007, 06:21 PM
Why talk about a guy who is becoming idiot day by day.

[edited]

Please refrain from resorting to personal attacks. It is unnecessary and against board rules. (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_forum_rules)

- Mod

istiak
June 7, 2007, 06:28 PM
I guess you two missed the part where at the time he made the comments Bangladesh used to play pretty poor cricket. And over that, he is an Englishman. They always speak that way.

On the other hand Gavaskar is NOT an Englishman and from what you will see, he is hardly ever a good judge of any cricketers other than an Indian.

P.S. Yeah, this Boycott's mom thing, there is this really long joke about her on the net which I found to be pretty lame, but you guys may want to google it :-P!!!!!

Boycot made that comment not that long ago..........

We are just getting sick He is english so he is bad......an indian so bad as well remember David Hooks........an australian...he was bad as well

Need to become adult.

istiak
June 7, 2007, 06:30 PM
Why are you guys wasting your time on that overhyped Gavaskar. He doesn't understands the game, remember his 35* in 60 overs. His 'F grade' commentary devalues the great game of cricket. Just ignore this bald brained person. There is black sheep in every community.

[edit]
Mod.warning: 2nd violation in the very same thread. Go back and see the first warning.
-Mod

sandpiper
June 7, 2007, 06:37 PM
I am not sick of any specific nation, but his attitude should be rectified. I must say he is poor commentator. L-)
and off course sunny himself need to become adult :mad:

We are just getting sick He is english so he is bad......an indian so bad as well remember David Hooks........an australian...he was bad as well

Need to become adult.

istiak
June 7, 2007, 06:47 PM

Very funny argument when Gavaskar was not even part of the selection process. The team was chosen by a selection panel comprising SM Farooque (Bangladesh), Chetan Chauhan (India), Mohsin Khan (Pakistan) and Lalith Kaluperuma (Sri Lanka). Moreover, Razzak is not a part of ODIs team so he was obviously not selected.

For complete report:
http://content-www.cricinfo.com/aac2007/content/story/293847.html

istiak
June 7, 2007, 06:51 PM
I am not sick of any specific nation, but his attitude should be rectified. I must say he is poor commentator. L-)
and off course sunny himself need to become adult :mad:

Yes we became very civilized and adult when talking all these nonsense about somebody who is not even part of team selection process.

cricketboy
June 7, 2007, 07:04 PM

What is wrong with this guy. Why are you attacking other members like me. :mad:

Farhad
June 7, 2007, 07:56 PM
Didnt expect this much support for Gavaskar. I dont hate the man, dont know the man too well actually, but my "SG" bat worked wonders for me. :-p For that I am eternally grateful, even though he almost certainly had nothing to do with it. Didnt like his remarks on Hookes though....

Ahmed_B
June 8, 2007, 03:01 AM
WHy should we be civil when he doesnt even praise our players when it is due.
Because of THIS (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_forum_rules) !

Rabz
June 8, 2007, 05:09 AM
Guys, get over it.
Let them enjoy the last few shining days in their cricket.
I bet in 5 years time, half of the Asian XI players would be from Bangladesh.
Let them hold to their last hopes.

Our day will come.

Surfer
June 8, 2007, 06:23 AM
Guys, get over it.
Let them enjoy the last few shining days in their cricket.
I bet in 5 years time, half of the Asian XI players would be from Bangladesh.
Let them hold to their last hopes.

Our day will come.

Are you wishing good for Bangladesh cricket or wishing ill for Indian cricket?:D

Surfer
June 8, 2007, 06:26 AM
Very funny argument when Gavaskar was not even part of the selection process. The team was chosen by a selection panel comprising SM Farooque (Bangladesh), Chetan Chauhan (India), Mohsin Khan (Pakistan) and Lalith Kaluperuma (Sri Lanka). Moreover, Razzak is not a part of ODIs team so he was obviously not selected.

For complete report:
http://content-www.cricinfo.com/aac2007/content/story/293847.html

Thanks for the link. I will make things simpler for people here by quoting a paragraph out of it.

The team was chosen by a selection panel comprising SM Farooque (Bangladesh), Chetan Chauhan (India), Mohsin Khan (Pakistan) and Lalith Kaluperuma (Sri Lanka). Chauhan had said that former India captain Sourav Ganguly's name was considered but, "finally we decided to go with youngsters."

Hope this brings the argument and 'bash Gavaskar' campaign to an end.:D

Sohel
June 8, 2007, 06:43 AM
Apparently he did (I agree), but so what? He is still biased.
How can a man be fair if he is biased :-/?

one can be biased, like me or you when it comes to bangladeshi cricket, and fair when we praise our opponents, and criticize our own players, if and when their performance warrant those assessments. being fair has also a lot to do with understanding the other side of the divide from its own perspective, despite serious disagreements. i have good reasons to think he calls it as he sees it, speaks grammatically correct english, and has never been short of heaping praise upon our players when they deserve it. i'm not too crazy about his ball-by-ball commentary, but his technical obsevations are more than spot on. the truth, when not on our side, can hurt just as much as it pleases us when it is. bashing sunny won't help our players perform any better. ei jha'njta onno jaygay metanoi bhalo.

istiak
June 8, 2007, 07:42 AM
one can be biased, like me or you when it comes to bangladeshi cricket, and fair when we praise our opponents, and criticize our own players, if and when their performance warrant those assessments. being fair has also a lot to do with understanding the other side of the divide from its own perspective, despite serious disagreements. i have good reasons to think he calls it as he sees it, speaks grammatically correct english, and has never been short of heaping praise upon our players when they deserve it. i'm not too crazy about his ball-by-ball commentary, but his technical obsevations are more than spot on. the truth, when not on our side, can hurt just as much as it pleases us when it is. bashing sunny won't help our players perform any better. ei jha'njta onno jaygay metanoi bhalo.

Dear Sohel,

Last night i was a bit upset with all those comments and off course i went overboard as well. I am sorry to those feel hurt but I wrote as I felt. You just put my points on a more humble way. Thanks

syzygy
June 8, 2007, 02:29 PM
wow great support for sunny ! i am a big fan of him too, and he is pretty much impartial.

Zunaid
June 8, 2007, 03:01 PM
Hope this brings the argument and 'bash Gavaskar' campaign to an end.:D

Darn. And I was just getting wound up.

akabir77
June 8, 2007, 03:06 PM
Gavasker need more bashing from bangladeshi and true tiger fans then any other, next is boycott and so on...

He regularly looks down on our players. It doesn't matter whether he was asian xi selector or not... The way he talked before and after the match and never mentioned razzak's quality bowling as if every one can bowl 4 overs and give only 12 runs in a batting pitch. And that's not the only time... Only thing goes for him that he didn't bad mouth like some others but he just selected not to say anything good...but the way his mouth expression becomes when talking about bd like somebody gave him Chiroter ROSH...

Carte Blanche
June 10, 2007, 01:35 PM
For you Gavaskar fans:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jrp53wKHgb0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jrp53wKHgb0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Tintin
June 10, 2007, 02:03 PM
In an interview after the India won the Test :

Q : Are you glad that you did not walk off ?

SMG : I had no choice. I was given out and had to walk off. I am glad that Chauhan did not, though.

Rabz
June 11, 2007, 12:50 AM
Are you wishing good for Bangladesh cricket or wishing ill for Indian cricket?:D

May be both.
Noh...im wishing very very god for Bangladesh cricket.
and for India..
cant wish them ill..
After all, they are the 800 pound gorilla in cricketing world.
As much as i hate to admit it, they form a big part of it and any decline in thier cricket would be extremely bad for the game.

And in few years time, we would need some sort of competition as well..wouldnt we??
I mean things would get a bit boring after one good worthy opponent ( Australia that is)..
we might need some good practise to play them ...and who would be a better team to practise the tricks with, than our good ol neighbours.:-D :-D

Surfer
June 11, 2007, 02:05 AM
May be both.
Noh...im wishing very very god for Bangladesh cricket.
and for India..
cant wish them ill..
After all, they are the 800 pound gorilla in cricketing world.
As much as i hate to admit it, they form a big part of it and any decline in thier cricket would be extremely bad for the game.

And in few years time, we would need some sort of competition as well..wouldnt we??
I mean things would get a bit boring after one good worthy opponent ( Australia that is)..
we might need some good practise to play them ...and who would be a better team to practise the tricks with, than our good ol neighbours.:-D :-D

I honestly hope to see India and BD fighting it out hard in a close finish game in the final of the next world cup- of course with India winning in the end:)

ammark
June 11, 2007, 03:22 AM
I honestly hope to see India and BD fighting it out hard in a close finish game in the final of the next world cup- of course with India winning in the end:)

Or we could have the 1996-98 versions of Ind vs Pak.... just that this time it'd be Ind vs BD all the time. Those were such good contests :)

Sohel
June 11, 2007, 08:58 AM
great vid Carte Blanche ... mitigating stuff.

i suppose you're not gonna dig up the ones that glorify his sportmanship ...

Sohel
June 11, 2007, 09:06 AM

not sure about those foregone conclusions bro ;) ... but tamim and junaid matched up with tiwary and whoever, ash and alok matched up with yusuf pat'han and dhoni, and mash and razzak matched up with irfan and chawla ... just too delicious to ponder without losing one's cool. a great rivalry brewing now for the next 10 years of pleasure and pain.

Tigers_eye
June 11, 2007, 11:12 AM
Blaming Gavaskar wouldn't do anyone any good for this selection.

I have posted this in another thread and going to voice the same opinion. These type of matches do not help mend bridges between Asia and Africa. It creates division between the fans of India, Pakistan, SL and BD.

Second thing to consider is where the games are being played. For some reason if the matches were being played in SL or Pakistan and only 2/3 players are selected for the most # of games then the stadiums would be half empty. The home crowd demands to see their players instead of others. The name of these type of games is "Money". That is the reason the selectors didn't pick many Indians for the 20/20 game and went ODI heavy.

Who is better suited for 20/20 Akmal or Dhoni? But a 20/20 game would limit the exposure of Dhoni whereas, an ODI selection woul allow Akmal to play three games instead of 1.

So don't go overboard on gavaskar's selection. He has to think of everything and choose a player. The crowd AKA money is a bigger factor than the player deserving. Since there is no national interest involved.

rubel_18
June 14, 2007, 02:15 PM

what an idiot, well that pretty much sums him up doesnt it?

syzygy
June 14, 2007, 11:55 PM
Blaming Gavaskar wouldn't do anyone any good for this selection.

I have posted this in another thread and going to voice the same opinion. These type of matches do not help mend bridges between Asia and Africa. It creates division between the fans of India, Pakistan, SL and BD.

Second thing to consider is where the games are being played. For some reason if the matches were being played in SL or Pakistan and only 2/3 players are selected for the most # of games then the stadiums would be half empty. The home crowd demands to see their players instead of others. The name of these type of games is "Money". That is the reason the selectors didn't pick many Indians for the 20/20 game and went ODI heavy.

Who is better suited for 20/20 Akmal or Dhoni? But a 20/20 game would limit the exposure of Dhoni whereas, an ODI selection woul allow Akmal to play three games instead of 1.

So don't go overboard on gavaskar's selection. He has to think of everything and choose a player. The crowd AKA money is a bigger factor than the player deserving. Since there is no national interest involved.

Dhoni is a much better player than Akmal in any form of the game be it 20-20, ODI or Test matches so your comparisons are falsified. Your grievance may be due to the fact that only 2 BD players were selected in ODI. However I dont see how could someone else from BD could have made it to the ODI team. May be you could justify?

syzygy
June 14, 2007, 11:59 PM

thats called courage which very few idiots dare to have!

Trigger_Tiger
June 15, 2007, 01:27 AM

WOOT :fire: WOOT :fire:!!!!!

Shafin
June 15, 2007, 01:42 AM
On that occation,Lilee crossed the line,not Gavaskar.

Surfer
June 15, 2007, 01:47 AM

Dear rubel. we are talking of a time when south Asian nations were not the favorites of the ICC. We South Asian cricket teams have been tolerant, submissive, well behaved and we take whatever comes our way. But in this era, thats not the way to success. We needed some real aggressors in those days. Gavaskar is one. All his life, he has been aggressive and has spoken his opinion in loud words. He was the first one who raised his voice against sledging targeting the Asian nations. If the ICC has him in an important position today, its not only because he was a great player, but also because he has been an aggressive man.

With such attitude, incidents like this happen. I am not saying that what he did was right, but that certainly does not make him an idiot. We need aggressors like this.

akabir77
June 15, 2007, 09:30 AM
Actually the discussion is going the wrong rout...

Gavasker is a
Great player.
great attitude..
great captain
great commentator
and also a biased towards india (just like ather Ali is towards BD)
Hates Bangladesh (for some reason don't know) (just like many others.. Amir shohel, mangeker, boycott)
so nothing wrong with it but people should agree about this fan or no fan...

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 10:10 AM
Actually the discussion is going the wrong rout...

Gavasker is a
Great player.
great attitude..
great captain
great commentator
and also a biased towards india (just like ather Ali is towards BD)
Hates Bangladesh (for some reason don't know) (just like many others.. Amir shohel, mangeker, boycott)
so nothing wrong with it but people should agree about this fan or no fan...

well said ... however, IMHO, i don't think he "hates" bangladesh anymore than we "hate" some of our own players when they disappoint us ... perhaps "passion" is a better word than "hate" here. i think sunny feels we can do better, as do we whenever we continue to witness the familiar absence of the ability of some of our cricketers to learn from their errors, or at least try their best to learn despite external challeges. i don't think magrekar "hates" us either.

that being said, i feel that navjot singh sidhu, ajay jadeja, amir sohail and ramiz raja really hate us ... i've never heard them say anything positive about our cricket.

Tigers_eye
June 15, 2007, 10:32 AM
Dhoni is a much better player than Akmal in any form of the game be it 20-20, ODI or Test matches so your comparisons are falsified. Your grievance may be due to the fact that only 2 BD players were selected in ODI. However I dont see how could someone else from BD could have made it to the ODI team. May be you could justify?
What the...?
when did I say anything bad about the selection on BD players? For all it matters I was dead against on any BD players getting selected for these meaningless games. I am supporting Gavaskar not bashing him. You must have mistaken me of someone else. There is nothing to be justified.

The whole selection process must think of the revenue. That is the only reason for these stupid games. Not picking up the standard of cricket. The only way one can do that is to put some butts on the stadium seats. If the match is held in India then the players list would dominate with Indian players on the highest # of games of the format. All fans wants to see their local heroes no matter how much they suck. If there are 10 matches of 20/20 and one match of ODI then the 20/20 team would have more Indian players. what part of this you don't get? If these matches are held in BD then no matter what the players ability are, which ever format has more games will have more BD player. Same concept works for Pakistan and SL.

For this matter since there were 3 ODIs and only one 20/20 match, the ODI players list is dominated by the Indian players. Pure and simple. My dhoni-Akmal was just an attempt to make you guys understand. Which I miserablly failed. Not justifing ones place in the team. Dhoni is much better player than Akmal in 20/20. Yet he got snubed, why? These selection process is not done by merit.

If you want to justify players then many shouldn't be there. AKA Turbunator, the over-rated one.

I wish I had typed this entire post with CAPs on.

syzygy
June 15, 2007, 11:09 AM
the 20-20 games were more of an experiment type and neither side fielded their best available squads.it was more like giving chances to those players who could not
find a place in the odi squad. however the crowd pullout for 20-20 was better than any of the 3 odis. so i dont agree its all about seeing the indian players in action, it was more about the entertainment the 20-20 version brings.

the same reason why there are more ppl to watch odi's instead of tests. take the latest example from bd-ind series, the test matches witnessed semi full stadium where as odis saw it to full capacity. so its bt generating revenue ofcourse but the icc want to do the balancing act too.still test cricket is the only form to measure a cricketers actual potential and both odis and 20-20 are more revenue generating assets of icc. in fact 20-20 is so much biased towards batsmen, that the entire concept is stupid on paper but great on entertainment value and good for generating revenue. to some extent it goes with odis too, but unfortunately if the whole world plays only test matches, icc (and its members) would fail miserably to popularise the game (where ppl wants results quicker) and loose a huge chunk of revenue.so the balancing act.