PDA

View Full Version : Sri Lanka Tour

Rommel
June 6, 2007, 08:52 PM
I know that the tour does not start for a couple of weeks but what are your expectations for Bangladesh? I would be happy with 1 test victory and 1 ODI victory. What about you guys?

Zobair
June 6, 2007, 09:16 PM
Test victory? We will need to get 20 wickets. Can we? I don't think we are there yet. With Murali in the ranks and our brittle and unsettled batting, SL should do that in all 3 tests.

An ODI victory is more likely.

selina
June 6, 2007, 09:23 PM
I would be happy with an ODI victory. But I would be completely overjoyed if we can manage to win a Test! But more than anything, I want to see if the players are trying to fix their mistakes and not repeating them over and over again. Also I hope that Ash will do really well as the captain and also a batsmen for the tour. Hopefully he'll be aggressive but also mature. Best of luck Ash!

Rommel
June 6, 2007, 09:38 PM
I agree. We are probably not ready to beat SriLanka in a test. Also its my 50th post!:D

mac
June 6, 2007, 09:47 PM
Just 1 win in the ODIs and a much better performance in the tests.

cricketboy
June 6, 2007, 09:51 PM
I would love Bangladesh to win 2 ODIs but I will be very happy if they manage to win 1. :flag:

Farhad
June 6, 2007, 10:10 PM
Id go for an ODI win and a test draw...

Kabir
June 6, 2007, 10:50 PM
I don't wanna sound like a loser, but practically, I would go for a shommanjonok har or drawn tests. This is completely based on our Test experience. Plus, we also have a new captain and vice captain, and so get ready for some major mistakes...and get ready to hold your anger in such situations.

In ODIs, I would expect one win.

One World
June 6, 2007, 11:00 PM
why my expectations dont reach beyond what is posted..I have decided to post just as a fan onwards as my cricketing knowledge is nowhere near the sweeper position let alone silly mid on.

Russell2k7
June 6, 2007, 11:02 PM
One test victory is equal to clean 3 ODI sweep even if in reality they loose 2 tests and all 3 ODIs.

Murad
June 6, 2007, 11:06 PM
i will be happy if we can manage to draw a test..

1 odi win is possible..

Nocturnal
June 6, 2007, 11:19 PM
One test victory is equal to clean 3 ODI sweep even if in reality they loose 2 tests and all 3 ODIs.

what about the other test?

jawaherul
June 6, 2007, 11:32 PM
oneday and test expectation are two different stories for me .

in odi , i want them to fight neck to neck . at least 1 win is desired . but , they should target to win the odi series .

in test , i would rather be satisfied if i can see some elementary development . they should bat sensibly , not blocking everything nor smashing everything ; but playing each ball on its merit . playing session by session with a plan . and an aggressive planned captaincy . overall , a test-type play is what i want . they shoulod target a draw . but , even that would be very improbable . even after being over-optimistic about anything , i must place my foot in ground right now about this test series .

this tour is going to be very tough , very tough . the srilankans are always too good on their soil . and specially in test , we have many more to learn . however , in odi , i would be very dissappointed if they does not win at least 1 match . they have the ability to win 1 odi , i think .

Tokyobreeze
June 7, 2007, 12:45 AM
Two test draw and one win in ODIs and close fight on another ODI - I would take the tour outcome as exceeds expectation / extraordinary.

One test draw and one win in ODI - I would take the tour as successful.

Only one win in ODIs - Will consider the outcome as 'expected'.

No draw and no win - Failure.

We are talking about a changed BD team, right?

cricket_king
June 7, 2007, 01:42 AM
Bangladesh? Win a test? How the hell are we supposed to win tests when we barely play any? Just one draw with no help from interruptions would satisfy me.

Antora
June 7, 2007, 03:23 AM
my expectations....... I want banglaesh to atleat draw a test..1 odi victory!!!(pleezzz)
even thouh I like to think way beyond the capability of bangladesh and is hoping that bangladesh can white wash sri lanka..... but unfortunately that wont come true!!!!!!

Shafin
June 7, 2007, 03:45 AM
I want a series victory in ODI's and a Test win.

rubel_18
June 7, 2007, 06:11 AM
I'll be happy with a test draw and a ODI win specially against Sri Lanka at home.

Rabz
June 7, 2007, 09:39 AM
I want:
Cleansweep series win in both test and ODI's.
The team will come home undefeated in the whole tour, crushing the Lankans in every single possible way.

IN TEST:
Ash scoring a Triple Century.
Mashree getting hattrick with 2 Fifers and 1 Ten-er in a match.
Shahadat bowling at 145+kmph, scaring the crap out of SL batsmen and finishing an impressive series with an average of 19.23 with the ball.
Bashar scoring a comeback century.
JO back to back half century in a back to back century partnership.
SN back in form with 2 half centuries in 2 tests.
Solid rock batting from Rajin.
Rafiq getting his 100th test wicket to complete his odi and test 100's.
Ash winning his first test and first series as captain.

In ODI:
Tamim breaking Afridi's fastest century by 3 balls to complete his first odi ton in 34 balls.
Aftab scoring his first ton.
The offie (Riyad) getting a chance to play and acheiving a fifer in his first odi, thus filling the gap of much needed variety in our attack.
SL bundling out for 41 in the last odi by Mashree's awsome bowling who finishes the day with 7-9, best bowling figure by a Bangladeshi.

Should i carry on??
or
Should i wake up from my dream?

israr
June 7, 2007, 09:56 AM
I want:
The team will come home undefeated in the whole tour, crushing the Lankans in every single possible way.

IN TEST:
Shahadat bowling at 145+kmph, scaring the crap out of SL batsmen and finishing an impressive series with an average of 19.23 with the ball.

In ODI:
Tamim breaking Afridi's fastest century by 3 balls to complete his first odi ton in 34 balls.
The offie (Riyad) getting a chance to play and acheiving a fifer in his first odi, thus filling the gap of much needed variety in our attack.
SL bundling out for 41 in the last odi by Mashree's awsome bowling who finishes the day with 7-9, best bowling figure by a Bangladeshi.

Should i carry on??
or

Carry on mate!

israr
June 7, 2007, 09:57 AM
Even if the whole tour is a disaster, one test win against a full-strenght Sri Lankan side will suffice me completely.

Tigers_eye
June 7, 2007, 10:20 AM
1. No buffering.
2. 4 days tests (all three).
3. One rain affected draw.
4. Patience by the players and fans.
5. One ODI victory.

I am not asking too much, am I?

cricket_dorshok
June 7, 2007, 10:25 AM
I want:

IN TEST:

In ODI:

Should i carry on??
or
Himu bhai, Humayun Ahmed'er Himu to apnar kase kisui na, to jaglen ken, chalaia jan

Rajowana
June 7, 2007, 10:26 AM
Well i want BD to atleast win 1 ODI and a draw and if they can win a test match then that would be great!!

mali007
June 7, 2007, 10:26 AM
With this type of team selection how can dare to win a test against SL !!!!
It will be a WHITE WASH !!! I feel sorry for Ashraful. But we will do better in ODIs.

SS
June 7, 2007, 10:28 AM
I have no big expectations from the team rather looking for more improvement in certain areas where we are lacking and repeating the same mistakes again and again.

People are assuming we will do better in ODI, but not sure how that will be accomplished. First of all, SL knows that we will be bundled out for 250 max if two of our batsmen play good. SL also knows that if they score something more than 270, our batting won't able to chase it. We have to wait few more years and work harder to reach that level to compete well against SL.

SS
June 7, 2007, 10:30 AM
deleted.

istiak
June 7, 2007, 10:42 AM
With this type of team selection how can dare to win a test against SL !!!!
It will be a WHITE WASH !!! I feel sorry for Ashraful. But we will do better in ODIs.

If you don't mind would you put a BD team which will not be defeated by SL in test matches?

istiak
June 7, 2007, 10:46 AM
too much expectation flowing here about our test prospect. even in the first test against Ind in ctg BD would have certainly defeated if five complete days + Kumble.

Nafi
June 7, 2007, 11:47 AM
I want:

IN TEST:

In ODI:

Should i carry on??
or

I just had the biggest smile imagining that.

Farhad
June 7, 2007, 11:51 AM
1. No buffering.

:lol: Yep, thats on the top of my list too...

rah
June 7, 2007, 12:15 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO BUFFERING
a draw in the test will be good, and not to lose any of the tests by an innings.
plus the one day series if after the test series, and bangladesh would of had a lot of matches on the tour. for the odi series will be competitive

GothamCity
June 7, 2007, 12:16 PM
I want us to win ALL. Yes .. that should be the attitude even if we go down.. we need to go down fighting.. The 2 one-days against India that's what it looked like, we went down fighting.. I don't want to see batsmen throwing their wickets around and 'playing it safe' in tests.. we should be aggressive... but there are so many things I want.. how many do I get ?

mali007
June 7, 2007, 02:11 PM
If you don't mind would you put a BD team which will not be defeated by SL in test matches?
No doubt SL is a very strong team. Their test record against BD is superb !! At present
time we can't beat them in test ----- if we beat them it will a major upset !! We can try best to make it draw or be beaten with HONOR with following line up :

1. Tamim
2. Mehrab
3. Rajin
4. Ashraful
5. Tushar
6. Sakib
7. Mushfique
8. Mashrafee
9. Rafique
10. Shahadat
11. Rasel / Sharif

BD-Shardul
June 7, 2007, 04:01 PM
I am not a pessimist, but as we are playing against the SL, I prefer observing to dreaming/predicting this time.

Protic
June 7, 2007, 09:59 PM
I want:

IN TEST:

In ODI:

Should i carry on??
or

I seriously second that * serious face *
Hmm :waiting:

amra_korbo_joy
June 8, 2007, 12:22 AM
To beat Sri Lanka in test we need the following team( but we can not have this team )
1. Tamim
2. Aftab
3. Rakibul
4. Tushar
5. Ashraful
6. Meharab jnr.
7. Mushfique
8. Mashrafee
9. Rafique
10. Shahadat
11. Rasel

Sohel
June 8, 2007, 01:27 AM
the hybrid mashraful has not neen given the best team to tour sri lanka, and i'm only looking for great individual performances from our players. in my pipedream, however, i see the lankans taking the ODI series 2-1, and the test series 2-0 with 1 hard fought draw. let's see if mashraful can do more.

my biggest fear: if SN fails in lanka, he may be permanently damanged psychologically, and his chacha's nepotism will destroy his career before it had the chance to blossom. we cannot afford that. he should have been rested nafees iqbal given a go.

cricket_king
June 8, 2007, 01:50 AM
This is absolutely amazing! People are actually daring to suggest we can win a test! You brave human beings :waiting:

cricket_king
June 8, 2007, 01:52 AM
To beat Sri Lanka in test we need the following team( but we can not have this team )
1. Tamim
2. Aftab
3. Rakibul
4. Tushar
5. Ashraful
6. Meharab jnr.
7. Mushfique
8. Mashrafee
9. Rafique
10. Shahadat
11. Rasel

Dude......are you serious? :waiting:

layperson
June 8, 2007, 01:54 AM
I expect and will not accept, anything less an ODI series win. With positive captaincy and our ODI team we are capable of pulling it off. For test matches I will be happy with individual brilliance and result at the end of the day wont matter to me much. I will be happy if two of our batsman can get centuries, three others get half centuries and two bowlers average 5 wickets per test match in the whole test series. Yes I know I am a very demanding fan.

BANFAN
June 8, 2007, 02:09 AM
I think, will be happy with one test genuine draw/win (May be!!), No test finished in 3 days, 1 one day win and Some one performing good with bat and ball in each match. If it is more than that, needs no mention I believe.

Sounds realistic to me.

Rabz
June 8, 2007, 07:48 AM
Himu bhai, Humayun Ahmed'er Himu to apnar kase kisui na, to jaglen ken, chalaia jan

Do we know each other??
cuz u know..
my real name is Himu too..
my nick name that is...

Rizvi
June 8, 2007, 09:27 AM
Sri Lanka is too tough of a test team, much better than India....i just dont want another embarassment after the India series

bd_fan_from_india
June 8, 2007, 09:36 AM
anything less than 3-0 losses for bd in both tests & odis should be a success.

mla
June 8, 2007, 09:50 AM
In the tests, batting out the day for an honourable draw would make me happy. As the World Cup proved, BD can beat the best in the world when they are on top and its their day. I would be very happy indeed if BD showed in this series that they can really dig in and fight when the going gets tough. We saw some flashes of that in the India series (eg Mortaza / Hossein enforcing the follow-on). I'm really looking forward to seeing BD's young players develop over the next few years and it would be great to see some of that development on this tour. I think it'll be a very interesting series, as SL are a team in a bit of transition with some younger players to blood.

Antora
June 8, 2007, 11:47 PM
I want:

IN TEST:

In ODI:

Should i carry on??
or

and i thought i had the world's craziest dreams.....

amra_korbo_joy
June 8, 2007, 11:59 PM
Sri Lanka is too tough of a test team, much better than India....i just dont want another embarassment after the India series

what do you expect when our beloved selector Farooq select out of form players such as HB, SN etc.

ammark
June 9, 2007, 08:08 PM
Here's today's Daily Star report. Good to see Shaun Williams do some talking beforehand, I feel less left in the dark now about some things.

Shaun sets his stall
Ashraful inspired by 2001 debut
Sports Reporter

Terming the Sri Lanka tour as the biggest challenge, interim Bangladesh coach Shaun Williams said yesterday that his main duty is to go forward with the team in terms of improvement.

It was not only because most of the formidable sides in the world struggle in the island nation, but also the Australian has had first-hand experience about the difficult conditions as he toured with Bangladesh A team last March.

"It's a tough task to play against Sri Lanka in their den as the condition is not only hard but the pitches are quite bouncy which is altogether different from the other subcontinent countries. We are going to face one of the best teams around, so we would be needing a decent effort and an all-out effort as well," said Williams, who joined the Tigers' training camp at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium yesterday.

"There will be nothing better if we got some outcome from the tour in the end," he added.

Although the 35-year-old Australian holds the post of national game development manager, he coached Bangladesh A and under-19 teams for the last two years and was recently handed the job of national team's head coach following the departure of Dav Whatmore.

The short-term Tigers' coach looked hardly concerned about the result in the series rather wanted the best efforts from his newly acquired charges during the three-match Test and one-day series.

"In international sport, everybody is looking for a win. But we should understand what kind of opposition we are up against. What we can do is to perform at our best, to take a step forward at the highest level of the game," he said of his target.

The 35-year-old however has no special plans with the national side, rather kept his modus operandi -- what he followed during his job with the A team and the age level teams.

"I always try to give the guys a simple message which is to 'learn from mistakes' and there is no exception this time. I don't like to deal too much with the wrong things, I am more inclined towards the positive things and with what we are capable of doing. But one should ask questions about their performance if improvement is needed," he said.

Williams was also little bothered with the tag of 'interim coach' as he believes that his main duty is to deliver to the board as much as he can, in any capacity.

"Coaching is nothing new to me. Yes, my job has changed as I am appointed (as the) interim coach for the national side, but the players are same as I worked with most of the them at different levels like A team and under-19 team. Actually my job remains the same which is to support Bangladesh cricket," he explained.

He believes that it is always helpful for a team like Bangladesh to play in such difficult conditions.

"We should understand that it will be a tough, long tour. I think we are in a learning process and the more we play matches in such conditions, the more we will be benefited," he observed.

He was a little concerned about Bangladesh's poor showing in the longer-version of the game as he thought that the country is still new in that fray.

"It is not too long that Bangladesh has been playing at this level and in terms of the number of games, it is also not many. There is a very good sign in their one-day performance and I think playing Super Eights in the World Cup was a great achievement.

But we need time in Test cricket," he explained.

On the other hand captain Mohammad Ashraful was looking forward to making a bright debut in Sri Lanka like his Test debut in the same country in 2001 with a blazing hundred.

"That was a special knock. The world knows me because of that century. So I am delighted to get the opportunity to start my captaincy career in Sri Lanka. I am optimistic about putting up a good show there," said the ace batsman, who also joined the camp yesterday after playing in the Afro-Asia Tenty-20 International.
The right-hander also assured that he does not feel any extra pressure because of the added burden of captaincy.

"I do not feel any pressure because of the captaincy. It is going to be just another tour for me. We will start the tour with the Test series and I think that will helpful as we finished with Tests against India," he said.

Despite the fact that he is going to face a tough challenge in his first appearance as captain, the new skipper said that they were not focusing on the opponents.

"Sri Lanka is a very strong side with a high-quality batting line-up and good variation in bowling attack. Undoubtedly it is going to be a tough tour. But we are confident of doing well there. We are not focusing on Sri Lanka's strong points, rather our aim is to improve our individual performances," said Ashraful, who guaranteed that the captaincy will not hamper his natural batting.

http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/06/10/d70610040237.htm

Sohel
June 9, 2007, 08:14 PM
thanks ammark for the good dig. good to see a "if you build it, they will come" approach from shaun williams. i'm eagerly looking forward to ash's debut as captain with the rest of the cricket world. the excitement is mitigated somewhat by the fact that he has NOT been given the best possible team to lead ... not even close.

oracle
June 9, 2007, 08:28 PM
At least Shaun Williams is realistic and knows the huge struggle ahead in Sri Lanka. I would expect him even then to lay out his expectations point by point so that the guys have some target in their minds. I also like the "learning from mistakes" comment which pretty much sums up the Dav ethos but perhaps with his own set of psychological ways to get this across to the team.

cricman
June 9, 2007, 08:51 PM
At least Shaun Williams is realistic and knows the huge struggle ahead in Sri Lanka. I would expect him even then to lay out his expectations point by point so that the guys have some target in their minds. I also like the "learning from mistakes" comment which pretty much sums up the Dav ethos but perhaps with his own set of psychological ways to get this across to the team.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say we do well against Lanka what are the chances "interim tag" will be removed from Shaun Williams and that he becomes our next coach?

One World
June 9, 2007, 09:32 PM
Hypothetically speaking, lets say we do well against Lanka what are the chances "interim tag" will be removed from Shaun Williams and that he becomes our next coach?

nope..shouldnt let that happen

MohammedC
June 10, 2007, 05:28 PM
Shahadat Rajib injured, Dont want to hear this news. Hope its nothing serious
Prthom Alo (http://www.prothom-alo.org/mcat.news.details.php?nid=NDM5NjM=&mid=OA==)

Daily Star (http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/06/11/d70611040236.htm)

bharat
June 10, 2007, 11:28 PM

Hmm ..Rizvi, I guess you do not follow Test cricket ...SL has hardly any test wins against India...(in single digits ..if I am not wrong)

moreover they have not won away test matches (leave alone test series) against some countries like WI,Aus and SA.

I think BD has a strong chance of creating an upset ..(even if that is a draw).

The only thing about SL is that like India they are good at home ...I remember they used to prepare dead tarcks when India toured them to get away with daughty draws..

The 3 SLA of BD might cause some headaches ...and from then on you never know...
BD needs to raise there batting for this though.

sheikh
June 10, 2007, 11:55 PM
I ll be unhappy if we don't win at least one ODI. Target should be to win the series.

No result oriented expectations for tests. Just play sensible cricket. Love to see some application in the batting. Not a quick 70 like that Ashraful's one. A solid and steady 70 will be more expected.

sheikh
June 10, 2007, 11:58 PM
Hmm ..Rizvi, I guess you do not follow Test cricket ...SL has hardly any test wins against India...(in single digits ..if I am not wrong)

moreover they have not won away test matches (leave alone test series) against some countries like WI,Aus and SA.

WRONG!!

IanW
June 11, 2007, 12:21 AM

My feeling is if he can deliver a series win in the Tests, that the odds of that become pretty darn close to 100%.

And, yeah, I think just like Australia were beatable, Sri Lanka are beatable - if the side does the basics well.

Ian Whitchurch

Go_Bangladesh
June 11, 2007, 12:33 AM
We are all hopeful but in the back of our minds we all know its gonna be another convincing loss in both the test and odi series for Bangladesh, the only good thing is that I had similar feeling before the world cup .................................

IanW
June 11, 2007, 12:41 AM
We are all hopeful but in the back of our minds we all know its gonna be another convincing loss in both the test and odi series for Bangladesh, the only good thing is that I had similar feeling before the world cup .................................

Grow a backbone. Any side with Masrafee, Shahadat, Rafique and Ashraful can win test matches.

Sure, if they dont hold catches, bowl crap down the leg side and dont remember to pick which balls to hit, they wont ... but thats true of anyone.

Right now, Bangladesh are in the big pile of teams that arent as good as Australia.

Ian Whitchurch

One World
June 11, 2007, 12:56 AM
:lol: need to grow backbone, back hurts from all day typin and doin nothin

Go_Bangladesh
June 11, 2007, 12:58 AM
Grow a backbone. Any side with Masrafee, Shahadat, Rafique and Ashraful can win test matches.

Sure, if they dont hold catches, bowl crap down the leg side and dont remember to pick which balls to hit, they wont ... but thats true of anyone.

Right now, Bangladesh are in the big pile of teams that arent as good as Australia.

Ian Whitchurch

I agree with you, but I am just mentionning about the indifferfent feeling of hoping but knowing that that hope will in all probebility not be fulfulled

Sohel
June 11, 2007, 10:11 AM

what's a backbone ?

Rajowana
June 11, 2007, 12:22 PM
lol awww

Rajowana
June 11, 2007, 12:22 PM
what's a backbone ?

lol it's a spine or... iz it????lolz

Electrequiem
June 11, 2007, 01:29 PM
I expect and will not accept, anything less an ODI series win. With positive captaincy and our ODI team we are capable of pulling it off. For test matches I will be happy with individual brilliance and result at the end of the day wont matter to me much. I will be happy if two of our batsman can get centuries, three others get half centuries and two bowlers average 5 wickets per test match in the whole test series. Yes I know I am a very demanding fan.

Good to set your goals high mate ... I will be happy with one test and one ODI win.

Rommel
June 11, 2007, 02:24 PM
At least Vaas is not playing.

SS
June 11, 2007, 06:21 PM
SL bowling is more dangerous that the bowling we faced recently. Our batters could not even cross 300 runs, I don't see any hope with our batters against the bolwers of the last WC finalist. They are too good for our batsmen who make mistakes all the time. Their top five batsmen are also in a great form.

al Furqaan
June 11, 2007, 06:39 PM
my goals:

win an ODI (33% chance)

draw a test (5% chance)

for tests i'd like to see the following:

-at least 2 50s from each of our top order bats (they have 6 innings)
-a couple of 100s, preferably from different batsmen
-some more 35+ scores from mash
-mash and rajib getting at least one 5 fer
-rafique back amongst the wickets
-saqib's continued all round efforts.
-team scores 300 or nearly so consistently
-team scores 350+ once in 6 innings
-limit SL to less than 400
-limit murali to just a single 5 fer

BD-Shardul
June 12, 2007, 02:59 AM
I thrashed SL in EA Sports Cricket 2007 :-D

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/bishonno/BDROCKS.jpg

Most of the runs were scored by Javed Omar ;)

james007
June 12, 2007, 03:11 AM
u guys should be happy, if u can make them bat second time. Because i think 3 matches all inning victories for srilanka.

fwullah
June 12, 2007, 05:49 AM
1 ODI victory is more than what I want.

Considering the rainy season in Bangladesh, I wouldn't also mind a test match draw due to rain.

cricman
June 13, 2007, 12:54 AM
Lets try to do everything that we didn't do last time we toured there so Step 1 should be play really good in the practice match, I remember last time Ash and Aftab saved us from a certain defeat.

GothamCity
June 13, 2007, 12:55 PM
I wish the One-Dayers were before the tests.. at least we are better in One-Dayers, if we get humiliated in the tests again, it might affect our one-day performance

Rommel
June 13, 2007, 12:59 PM
Jayasuriya is not playing!

GothamCity
June 13, 2007, 01:21 PM
Jayasuriya is not playing!

He wasn't in good form in the Afro-Asia series scoring mostly single digits if I can recall.
But the really problem I think is that We've got Malinga, Vaas, Murali & co. to worry about given our already fragile batting.

Shafin
June 13, 2007, 01:30 PM
u guys should be happy, if u can make them bat second time. Because i think 3 matches all inning victories for srilanka.
You are living in a fools heaven,then.
Being happy with that?
Never.

But even if we do not succeed in making them bat at the second time for any of the matches,the next time we play them,i'll again set my target for a test win.

)The fools heaven thing is purely joke,don't take it seriously.(