PDA

View Full Version : We need new cricket stadiums

Sadz
June 7, 2007, 02:03 PM
As a follower of cricket, compared to other test nations we have very few top class cricket stadiums. Probaly 3 or 4 notably good ones. If we were to adjust to different match situations we will definitely need all typess of pitch varieties. Especially bouncy pitches which England and the rest do have. This will improve our game certainly and the attractions of fans. Although Im not sure if the money is there. Any1 know more about it:flag: ?

sandpiper
June 7, 2007, 02:09 PM
you cant expect a pitch like WACA or Headingly in Bangladesh overnight, but our infrastructure is developing and the authorities are doing their best regarding this

Tigers_eye
June 7, 2007, 02:25 PM
As a follower of cricket, compared to other test nations we have very few top class cricket stadiums. Probaly 3 or 4 notably good ones. If we were to adjust to different match situations we will definitely need all typess of pitch varieties. Especially bouncy pitches which England and the rest do have. This will improve our game certainly and the attractions of fans. Although Im not sure if the money is there. Any1 know more about it:flag: ?
Agree with everything except the bold part. Two/Three Major teams/countries don't have them yet. They are playing cricket much longer than us. So a little patience my friend. Welcome to BC.

Farhad
June 7, 2007, 02:28 PM
Theyve been plans over the last couple of years to make new ones...

rah
June 7, 2007, 02:51 PM
nah bruv, when mirpur is finished it will be a great venue. and bangabandhu stadium is a WOW STADIUM BUT IT IS NOW FOR FOOTIE. AND DA SHAHEED CHANDU STADIUM IS A GOOD ground wit nice media facilities.

Russell2k7
June 7, 2007, 03:39 PM
Mirpur stadium is really a beauty.

ialbd
June 7, 2007, 03:48 PM
need some good stadiums outside dhaka & ctg, seriously. bogra is promising, but need more of those all around BD....

I was wondering how a formal stadium in Cox's Bazar would look, it'll certainly boom the already booming tourism further. The Shagorika Ctg Divisional Stadium is next to the bay, right?

MohammedC
June 7, 2007, 03:49 PM
No we dont need new stadium, what we need is better facility.

Sadz
June 7, 2007, 03:50 PM
rah nah bruv, when mirpur is finished it will be a great venue. and bangabandhu stadium is a WOW STADIUM BUT IT IS NOW FOR FOOTIE. AND DA SHAHEED CHANDU STADIUM IS A GOOD ground wit nice media facilities.

I respect ur views mate yeh but my point was we need different variety of pitches not just flat pitches. u must have misunderstood.

Electrequiem
June 7, 2007, 04:31 PM
Mirpur stadium is a wow-wie beauty ... by 2011, its going to be sparkling. And I also think new one is being built in sylhet, right? It should have a natural drainage system :p

MohammedC
June 7, 2007, 04:35 PM
I respect ur views mate yeh but my point was we need different variety of pitches not just flat pitches. u must have misunderstood.

In that case you should have had different Thread title.

Pundit
June 7, 2007, 04:46 PM

Nnew pitches come with new stadiums.

sandpiper
June 7, 2007, 05:09 PM
folks, how about these stadiums ?? full protection from rain eh ;)
no need to use that rubbish DL method :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/Telstra_Dome_Panoramic.jpg

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/asia/japan/kyushu/oita_big_eye.shtml

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/florida/st_petersburg_tropicana.shtml

Ajfar
June 7, 2007, 07:04 PM
folks, how about these stadiums ?? full protection from rain eh ;)
no need to use that rubbish DL method :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/Telstra_Dome_Panoramic.jpg

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/asia/japan/kyushu/oita_big_eye.shtml

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/florida/st_petersburg_tropicana.shtml

sobieee tik ache...akta problem...jokon tamim ar mashrafee chokka marbo..ball chadee laigaa mather moddeei aktaa jaiboo

Hatebreed
June 7, 2007, 07:09 PM
Afridi hits 12-
<object height="350" width="425">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qOE7WKqvjas" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

uss01
June 7, 2007, 07:24 PM
Very impractical to compare our number of stadiums to other countries because we have very little land space to begin with. 3 or 4 good stadiums are enough. Of the top of my head there is Mirpur, Fatullah, Bogra, Chitagong and Khulna. These are just the ones which are of international standard. There are others in Rajshahi and Sylhet, which are not of international standard but still domestic games are played there sometimes. So that's enough for a country of BD's size. So don't compare BD to other countries without taking into consideration other factors like space available, economic conditions and practicality, etc (i.e. do you really want to eat up farm land to have a cricket stadium? It's not like there are plenty of open spaces in BD to build a bunch of new stadiums).

But I do agree that good quality pitches are needed. But that you can work with the pitches in the current bunch of stadiums that I listed above. It's quality and not quantity that really matters. And even if we end up having only 4 good cricket stadiums like we have now, that's plenty to work with as they are strictly devoted to cricket. So, I disagree with you that we need more stadiums. But I suggest you consider the idea of improving the quality of pitches in the current bunch of stadiums. Simply because it's just not worth it to have new stadiums left and right, specially when we already have a few in a country like BD.

Electrequiem
June 7, 2007, 07:40 PM
Afridi hits 12-

I'm wondering why the field is rectangular, though.

gatekeeper
June 7, 2007, 08:39 PM

Newsflash-Bangladesh actually have equal to or more than what WI, Sri Lanka and Zim have in numbers. Quality of the pitch is a different story.

Rabz
June 7, 2007, 10:58 PM
Number of stadiums at this point is OK.
What we need at this point is to cement more sporty wickets where our players become more accustomed to playing in different conditions.
Our board should do like the Aussies, where different cities got different style of pitches. Eg, WACA got the bouncy one, Sydney got the spinning one etc etc.
There is no better way but to learn from home about the various conditions.

Current stadium facilities are good for us for another 4-5 years. What the govt needs to do is to slowly spread the game all over the country but that will take some time due to our economic restrains.

I bet in 10 years time there will be new international stadiums in Cox's Bazar, Sylhet, Barishal, Rajshahi and other notable places in the country. Right now, they can upgrade the facilities and conditions of the current situations.

Huda
June 8, 2007, 12:12 AM
I'm wondering why the field is rectangular, though.

Because it was being played in a football stadium, the millenium stadium in cardiff most probably.

sunny747
June 8, 2007, 01:49 AM
Mirpur stadium may look good but i have a doubt as i heard too many complains abt it anyway.....here is a fan reaction abt the stadium ...
http://www.jaijaidin.com/details.php?nid=13101

Sohel
June 8, 2007, 01:54 AM
we need: -

1) more sporting pitches.
2) cleaner toilets in existing stadiums.

Aritro
June 8, 2007, 06:38 AM
Our board should do like the Aussies, where different cities got different style of pitches. Eg, WACA got the bouncy one, Sydney got the spinning one etc etc.
There is no better way but to learn from home about the various conditions.

Australia being a huge continent with quite a lot of variation in climate and soil is a big factor in that.

Doesn't mean it can't be done in Bangladesh though, we'll just need to spend a decent amount of money on importing the materials and re-digging the pitch squares and also enlist foreign expertise to help with the preperation.

Aritro
June 8, 2007, 06:39 AM
we need: -

2) cleaner toilets in existing stadiums.

:lol:

Those'll last between 3 and 5 minutes.

ellawilson
June 8, 2007, 07:20 AM
Since world cup 2007 the popularity of cricket is rising gradually in Bangladesh because Bangladesh entered in super 8 group for the first time . only Dhaka stadium is not sufficient for huge crowds . If Bangladesh schedule cricket match for more team the only one international stadium is not sufficient so I think more stadiums are required along more facilities.:floor: