PDA

View Full Version : Monty Panesar

james007
June 9, 2007, 04:09 PM
I think he is decent bowler. he is horse of long race. he will finish great at end, might not become warne or murli. But he can become like others

sar2005
June 9, 2007, 04:20 PM
They way he bowled his last two overs today, he would be devastating if he can bowl like that. Although one of the reason was the broken pitch.

MohammedC
June 9, 2007, 04:23 PM
Panesar has 53 wicket after playing for little more than 1 year. he is 25 now if he plays till 35 he may end up as the first English Bowler to take 500 wicket. I think he is their only chance to reach that magic figure

rah
June 9, 2007, 04:58 PM
Panesar has 53 wicket after playing for little more than 1 year. he is 25 now if he plays till 35 he may end up as the first English Bowler to take 500 wicket. I think he is their only chance to reach that magic figure

lol he is da man

Nafi
June 9, 2007, 05:35 PM
His bowling looks ordinary, but somehow he gets those wickets, it puzzles me.

gatekeeper
June 9, 2007, 07:44 PM
No offense to Monty but I'm not at all convinced of his quality. He would have a rather hard time getting a place in most Test sides. But I'd be happy to see him prove me wrong.

Surfer
June 9, 2007, 11:49 PM
Monty Panesar is a deceptive customer. He has more variations than what looks like. First thing to do is not to compare him with the best. But in whats available in England, he definitely is the best.

Sohel
June 10, 2007, 01:14 AM
Monty Panesar is a deceptive customer. He has more variations than what looks like. First thing to do is not to compare him with the best. But in whats available in England, he definitely is the best.

well observed ... he's also very lucky not have faced vvs laxman do date ... or has he ? if he has, then i'm amazed that he still has a career.

i'll take murali, kumble, kaneria, bhaji, chawla, rafique, vettori, mcgill, enam, razzak, jayasuria, bandara, cahndana and even hogg and dilshan over him any day ... just wait 'til he faces batsman who really know how to play the spin.

james007
June 10, 2007, 01:52 AM
kaneria, bhaji, chawla, rafique, vettori, mcgill, enam, razzak, jayasuria, bandara, cahndana and even hogg and dilshan over him any day
in Test Matches, thats joke. he has been match winner for england
here is something to tell u
he took 17 wickets against pakistan from 4 matches including batsmen like Inzi, youis, Moyo
and then he took 10 wickets from 3 matches against Sri-Lanka including batsmen like tharnga and sangakara jaya
and he has taken 5 wickets from 3 matches against India at avg 62 (these were his first 3 test matches, so was noob that time) taking wickets of Dravid and Sachin
now don't tell me that vvs is btr than these players.

Sohel
June 10, 2007, 01:55 AM
kaneria, bhaji, chawla, rafique, vettori, mcgill, enam, razzak, jayasuria, bandara, cahndana and even hogg and dilshan over him any day
in Test Matches, thats joke. he has been match winner for england
here is something to tell u
he took 17 wickets against pakistan from 4 matches including batsmen like Inzi, youis, Moyo
and then he took 10 wickets from 3 matches against Sri-Lanka including batsmen like tharnga and sangakara jaya
and he has taken 5 wickets from 3 matches against India at avg 62 (these were his first 3 test matches, so was noob that time) taking wickets of Dravid and Sachin
now don't tell me that vvs is btr than these players.

i was just testing your resolve bro ... good job ... no hard feelings.

Tigers_eye
June 11, 2007, 10:53 AM
I always thought Monty was over-rated (Both of them: Montgomery and Panesear). I still think they are. Having said that I must say Panesear is a class above John Embury, Giles. England can do no wrong by picking him. And for the long list of chanada's, England would have picked them if they were available (KP).

Nice performance by Panesear. Congrats for the ten wicket haul. His first.

Tigers_eye
June 11, 2007, 10:55 AM
Please look up last years stat of Murali. :) khek!! That 500 mark would no be longer consider a good stat within few years. Khek!!

But for English standards anything over 300 test wickets would allow him to be a knight. Khek!!

পিচ্চি
June 11, 2007, 11:19 AM
Please look up last years stat of Murali. :) khek!! That 500 mark would no be longer consider a good stat within few years. Khek!!

But for English standards anything over 300 test wickets would allow him to be a knight. Khek!!
[বাংলা]দেখেন,মন্টি ভাইয়া ফ্রেডি ভাইয়া হতে কয়দিন নেয়,আমার তো মনে হয় ম্যাগাজিনের পোজ দেয়া কয়দিনের মধ্যেই শুরু হয়ে যাবে।[/বাংলা]

Tigers_eye
June 11, 2007, 11:24 AM
You mean fredelo? Let me call Vaugh for clarification.

cricket_pagol
June 11, 2007, 12:32 PM
I am impressed with monty so far... he obviously has the potential to be a leading spinners in test cricket... may be a class below Murali and Warne.

patriot
June 11, 2007, 12:51 PM

I second that .We must also remeber that West Indians are poor players of spin.

SideWinder
June 11, 2007, 12:58 PM
Panesar is overrated.

damalChele
June 11, 2007, 01:03 PM

Ever thought about how his captain sets the fielding? Michael Vaughn is not Habibul Bashar. One of the factors why he gets so many wickets.

Electrequiem
June 11, 2007, 01:17 PM
Panesar .... *sighs* he is no extraordinary bowler. WI batsmen are not fond of spin attack.

Sohel
June 11, 2007, 01:17 PM
... One of the factors why he gets so many wickets.

... and yet, there's something wickedly HaBa-esque about vaughan that will never meet the naked eye.

Surfer
June 11, 2007, 11:44 PM
Panesar .... *sighs* he is no extraordinary bowler. WI batsmen are not fond of spin attack.

Alas! Their best player of spin bowling is not in the team anymore.:doh:

james007
June 12, 2007, 03:15 AM
I m saying since Kumble and Murli are gonaa go in 2 years or so. I don't see any young spinner who can take most of wickets. maybe karenia is btr than him. but not anyone else

Tigers_eye
June 12, 2007, 08:59 AM
... but not anyone else
Bandara, chandana, Cullen, Vettori, Abdur Razzak can turn the ball more than Panesear. Wait till the ashes just few more months. The real quality will come out. :lol:

al Furqaan
June 12, 2007, 09:54 AM
I always thought Monty was over-rated (Both of them: Montgomery and Panesear). I still think they are. Having said that I must say Panesear is a class above John Embury, Giles. England can do no wrong by picking him. And for the long list of chanada's, England would have picked them if they were available (KP).

Nice performance by Panesear. Congrats for the ten wicket haul. His first.

spot on

damalChele
June 12, 2007, 04:18 PM
... and yet, there's something wickedly HaBa-esque about vaughan that will never meet the naked eye.

He loses his form like Haba. But unlike Haba he answers his critics by scoring a test century.

james007
June 12, 2007, 04:45 PM
Bandara, chandana, Cullen, Vettori, Abdur Razzak can turn the ball more than Panesear. Wait till the ashes just few more months. The real quality will come out. :lol:

lol he took couple of wickets against Aussies at their home, well Abdur Razzak has only played one test match without any wicket. Lol also bandara yeah yeah he took wickets of top order when? well u don't follow cricket at all. I follow England since i live here. also who is cullen lolz. u guys are just jealous of him. well u got nothing at bangladesh. Pakistan and England, Srilanka face these teams. they will show u where u belong. with hongkong and china lolz :lol:

Bearman
June 12, 2007, 05:00 PM
As an English fan I dont see why you lot dont rate Panesar. He may not be the biggest turner of the ball (though he certainly gives it some rip sometimes), but turn is not everything, he gives it some flight and gets a lot of bounce because of his height and speed compared to other spinners. And again, while he may not be spinning it loads, he certainly has the batsman guessing on occasion.

The only reason I mention this is because I really respect the standard of Cricket discussion on here, the best I have come accross on the web.

Protic
June 12, 2007, 09:15 PM
Atleast panesar is better than Giles !
Panesar might not do very well against India.. D.Karthik's wife would make Indian Curry for Panesar to not to bowl well as bribe.

Sohel
June 13, 2007, 04:19 AM
Atleast panesar is better than Giles !
Panesar might not do very well against India.. D.Karthik's wife would make Indian Curry for Panesar to not to bowl well as bribe.

:lol: ... all kidding aside bro, monty's good, better from the 3rd day onwards when those roughs come into the picture, and make his ripping spin diificult to play ... not too many batsmen have chanderpaul's patience and impeccable judgment of flight.

everybody's better than giles ... even our very own HaBa.

SideWinder
June 13, 2007, 03:16 PM
I second that .We must also remeber that West Indians are poor players of spin.

They said the he got all those wickets not because of good balls, but by the batsman simply being bored of his crappy bowling

Nafi
June 13, 2007, 03:54 PM
They said the he got all those wickets not because of good balls, but by the batsman simply being bored of his crappy bowling

Too right! :ticking:

SideWinder
June 13, 2007, 03:56 PM
Too right! :ticking:

My man Dr Naf!!! Great minds think Alike my man!:flag: :saint:

abdulw11
June 13, 2007, 04:44 PM
Say whatever you like about his bowling quality, but no one can match him when it comes to jumping up and missing 90% of the high-fives coming his way, after getting a wicket.

SideWinder
June 13, 2007, 04:55 PM
Say whatever you like about his bowling quality, but no one can match him when it comes to jumping up and missing 90% of the high-fives coming his way, after getting a wicket.

Nope..no one contesting on that. He doesn't when to celebrate. If Aus are 907-0, and he bowls ponting, its not the time to have a lap for hi 5s is it? panesar doesnt seem to know. he has gotten two big headed. remember, danish kaneria has taken the same amount of wickets so far this season what panesar took a whole season to do. over-----rated.

P.Warner
June 13, 2007, 08:01 PM
Monty is a breath of fresh air in English cricket. His childlike enthusiasm for the game, ability to listen to criticism, dedication to the team and overall modesty has won the whole nation over. Most English fans would admit that perhaps he is nowhere near as talented as the great Murali or Warne but his figures so far are encouraging. He shows much humility whenever he comes onto a cricket field. If there is something that an englisman appreciates, that is modesty. This young man is all modesty.

I started a discussion on Monty in the BBC forum and the responses were similar to what most have stated here. His place in the side is safe for a while as we are very short of consistent wicket-taking bowlers. His fielding is very poor despite his best efforts and batting is comical to say the least. However, he continues to take wickets. He should not be compared to Ashley Giles or even the likes of Tuffnel or Edmonds as I feel that Panesar is far more intelligent that those two. To be an effective spinner intelligence is an essential quality.

His main threat would be the young Yorkshire leg spinner Rashid. This fine young cricketers is something of an allrounder. Until Rasid is good enough to play for England Panesar's place is safe. If he can take 300 wickets most Englishmen would be very proud of him.

I don't wish to sound sentimental but most of us find this endearing young spinner from Luton to be already getting to be a national treasure.

Huda
June 14, 2007, 01:37 AM
well observed ... he's also very lucky not have faced vvs laxman do date ... or has he ? if he has, then i'm amazed that he still has a career.

i'll take murali, kumble, kaneria, bhaji, chawla, rafique, vettori, mcgill, enam, razzak, jayasuria, bandara, cahndana and even hogg and dilshan over him any day ... just wait 'til he faces batsman who really know how to play the spin.

You didnt see him in India, where he caused massive problems against the indian batsmen and now in england hes taking 5 fers, that is amazing in seamer friendly conditions.

He relies on the bounce, and turn rather than variations although he has used his chinamen delivery against Pakistan a few years back. He curently working on that to improve it.

Surfer
June 14, 2007, 02:54 AM
You didnt see him in India, where he caused massive problems against the indian batsmen and now in england hes taking 5 fers, that is amazing in seamer friendly conditions.

He relies on the bounce, and turn rather than variations although he has used his chinamen delivery against Pakistan a few years back. He curently working on that to improve it.

Oh, I didnt know that Panesar has a chinaman. Interesting.

Sohel
June 14, 2007, 04:31 AM

hmm, check post # 10 ...

Miraz
November 21, 2007, 06:46 AM
He is definitely of the new generation left arm spinners. He is ranked high by most of the cricket pundits, but he sometimes struggles in the sub-continent.

His figure of <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td style="white-space: nowrap;">MS Panesar (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/slveng/content/current/player/18655.html)</td> <td align="right">27http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif</td> <td align="right">3</td> <td align="right">117</td> <td align="right">1</td> <td align="right">4.33</td> </tr></tbody></table> against SL Board President XI is nothing extra ordinary, in fact his form in the recent Test matches are not that extra ordinary compared to his bright start.

Is he next Vettori? or even better? He is already branded better than our Rafique (part of the reason is our batsmen who never puts enough total for Rafique)

How do you rate him as a bowler?

Miraz
November 21, 2007, 06:52 AM
Moderators can you please merge this thread with the previous one? My bad, should have noticed before..

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=22033

Nafi
November 21, 2007, 10:10 AM
BIAS , dont you hate it

he is not better than Rafique, he is not even in the same league as Vettori or Razzak.

Personally I dont think he is good enough to be in the English national team, his bowling is not probing enough, the only real way he gets batsman out by inviting them to play on the front foot.

The only excuse for a batsman to get out by the likes of panesar is SLOPPINESS.

HE struggles in the subcontinent, because the only thing he has in his arsenal is surprising bounce, rarely do see him make use of his flighting of the ball, or vary the turn he has on the ball, and rarely do I see him bowl a perfectly pitched bowl that forces the batsman to play a dangerous shot.

patriot
November 21, 2007, 10:40 AM
Is he next Vettori? or even better? He is already branded better than our Rafique (part of the reason is our batsmen who never puts enough total for Rafique)

How do you rate him as a bowler?

He's in the same league as Ashley Giles and I dont find anything extraordinary in him that makes him even closer to Vettori Or Mohammed Rafeeq.

This guy is Overrated. IMHO Batsmen relish the chance to face him in ODI's.In tests his bowling is so ordinary in the sub-continent.

Monty Panesar for England A team.L-)

Rabz
November 21, 2007, 01:15 PM
MP is over rated.
He is sooo lucky that he was born in England and not in India.

As lovable as he might be off the field, his bowling is nothing more than a mediocre on the international level.
Invite to play him in our NCL. He would struggle.

Tigers_eye
February 17, 2009, 05:38 PM
The Doctorate degree will help him now since Swann just put a RIP sign up!!!

Tigers_eye
March 10, 2009, 09:13 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/7934870.stm
I am loving it.

Nadim
March 10, 2009, 10:21 AM
bhai, for England he is the best spinner around the country but if u compare him with razzak,vettori,H.Singh, mendis,Murali,murali and sakib......he is quite far away from them