PDA

View Full Version : M. Warnapura Set to Make Test Debut Against Bangladesh: Vaas to be Rested

Sohel
June 9, 2007, 09:32 PM
here's the article from the Daily Mirror (SL): -

http://www.dailymirror.lk/2007/06/09/sports/5.asp

vaas will be rested: -

quote - "Seamer Vass who is currently representing Middlesex in the English County season is likely to be rested for the test and one day series against Bangladesh. De Silva however has played two test matches both against Bangladesh in July 2002. The opening bowler returned excellent figures of four wickets for 35 in the second innings in his last test match at the SSC grounds which helped Sri Lanka cruise to a massive 288 run victory and wrap up the series by two matches to nil."

jayasuriya and dilshan may be rested: -

quote - "The selectors are hoping to rest veteran opening batsman Sanath Jayasuriya and middle order batsman Tillekeratne Dilshan in an attempt to give more opportunities for the up and coming players during the three match test and one day international series. Thirty seven year old Jayasuriya with a total of 393 matches is currently the most capped player in one day internationals and also has 107 test matches under his belt."

malinda warnapura's stats: -

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/50874.html

interesting trivia: malinda is the nephew of bandula warnapura who toured bangladesh during the raquibul hasan, yusuf babu, dipu ray chaudhury and lintu (i forget his real name) era of the 70s. that sri lankan team, as far as i can rememeber, kicked our behinds during the course of the unofficial test. warnapura and dulip mendis scored 100s of runs, and a spinner named de silva munched through our batting order like packman. this was highly demoralizing immediately after the draw during our first ever 3-day, unofficial test against MCC where yusuf babu scored 78 not out and lintu took 4 wickets. MCC was captained by a "clark" and their blond pacer "merry" broke a lot of hearts in and around dhanmondi ... Z-bhai, help me out here with the details - of the cricket, not the broken hearts - if you would.

Antora
June 9, 2007, 10:29 PM
vaas rested?????? dilly and jay... might be rested??? spectacular news!!!!!
we shall win some matches.. muhahahaha (evil lauf)

One World
June 9, 2007, 10:31 PM
with Lasith's sling and Fernando havoc, no chance and dont forget the magician

AsifTheManRahman
June 9, 2007, 10:34 PM
yeah they still have the magician. we also have to watch out for the other fast bowlers.

cricketboy
June 9, 2007, 10:42 PM
Sajeewa Silva is a very good bowler but he is unlcuky to be playing in the same era of Vaas. He is on the fringes of Srilanka team for many years.

bangla786
June 9, 2007, 11:24 PM
we shoud'v given tamim some chance here:hairpull:

Antora
June 10, 2007, 12:42 AM

iznt he playin in the odi squad?

BD-Shardul
June 10, 2007, 12:58 AM
Even Dilhara Fernando can take 5 wkts against us.

And abt Vaas, Joysuriya....they have used MAY BE

Trigger_Tiger
June 10, 2007, 01:36 AM
vaas rested?????? dilly and jay... might be rested??? spectacular news!!!!!
we shall win some matches.. muhahahaha (evil lauf)

If only that list would include half of the SL team still playing :-p!

SL is full of surprises God knows what this new talent will reap for them.

Bangladesh needs to be on guard and play cricket in a positive frame of mind.
Try to win a few (overall in the series) or go down fighting :up:!

cricket_king
June 10, 2007, 01:41 AM

I'm totally with you dude! :(

Nafi
June 10, 2007, 05:03 AM
This is good news, the I can actually see a chance of us winning the first test match.

Kabir
June 10, 2007, 10:48 AM
No, this is neither good news nor bad news. This is just news.

Consider SL as close to Australia. Even when they change half of their team's lineup, they'll still be as strong a team. Don't underestimate them.

Sohel
June 10, 2007, 12:02 PM

Consider SL as close to Australia. Even when they change half of their team's lineup, they'll still be as strong a team. Don't underestimate them.

finally, the HARD TRUTH ...

rah
June 10, 2007, 12:13 PM
even if vaas is not going to play, malinga and frenando are 2 good seamers. plus the magician will still be their

Protic
June 10, 2007, 12:19 PM
=\ Well.. its no more 2003 for us.. Vaas woudnt have made much difference anyway..
Murali,Malinga < our worries.

Beamer
June 10, 2007, 12:34 PM
Its the likes of Bandara that worries me more than any pacer sans Malinga. We have a history of struggles against leg spinners in test matches. So, if Bandara plays, I will be very watchful against him. Murali is always a great threat that goes without saying.

zahid
June 10, 2007, 12:40 PM
Those of you who think we'll win in the First Test .... DREAM ON! Aro onekdin lagbo!

pink
June 10, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hi guys..been following this forum for a couple of months now (ever since Bangladesh beat India in the WC), but took the time to register only today.

I have to say I don't understand why everyone here rates SL highly in the test arena. Granted that they're a pretty good ODI side, but in tests they've never been a brilliant side (one poster above equates them, almost, to the Aussies) (yes, their most recent test series in NZ was a good one, but I don't seem to remember too many like that from the recent past). For the past N years the top four have been Aus, Eng, Pak and Ind, with Pak and India swapping places now and then. So to see this as a greater challenge than the recent India series (tests) would be a mistake, IMO. With the 'resting' of Vass, and possibly Jaya and Dilshan, I believe Bangladesh have an excellent chance of pulling of great victories in SL (their FC scene isn't exactly renowned either, and most new players I've seen have taken a while to get adjusted to international cricket).

So, go you Bangers! :)

Sohel
June 10, 2007, 03:15 PM
Hi guys..been following this forum for a couple of months now (ever since Bangladesh beat India in the WC), but took the time to register only today.

I have to say I don't understand why everyone here rates SL highly in the test arena. Granted that they're a pretty good ODI side, but in tests they've never been a brilliant side (one poster above equates them, almost, to the Aussies) (yes, their most recent test series in NZ was a good one, but I don't seem to remember too many like that from the recent past). For the past N years the top four have been Aus, Eng, Pak and Ind, with Pak and India swapping places now and then. So to see this as a greater challenge than the recent India series (tests) would be a mistake, IMO. With the 'resting' of Vass, and possibly Jaya and Dilshan, I believe Bangladesh have an excellent chance of pulling of great victories in SL (their FC scene isn't exactly renowned either, and most new players I've seen have taken a while to get adjusted to international cricket).

i welcome your very first post and may you post many more.

the short answer ? their performance against bangladesh in all forms of the game ... they just have our number ... we are no strangers to the grim realities of a wide variety of humiliating defeats at the hands of those emerald islanders. with this particular team, unless the hybrid mashraful does something miraculous, we're looking at the fag-end of still more variety ... yet one must imagine sisyphus happy, and i'll continue to wallow in my pipe dreams until the fat lady sings.

having said all that, i must commend you for those beautiful rationalizations ... dig the fearless optimism too. i pray you're right ... "bangers" ? ... PLEASE NO !

Nafi
June 10, 2007, 03:22 PM

Most logical post in this thread, except for the bangers part. :confused:

pink
June 10, 2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the good welcome, Sohel and Dr_Naf. 'Bangers' isn't a good nick? Okay, I take that back.

Sohel, mashraful hold(s) the key then. Power of the chimera!

Trigger_Tiger
June 10, 2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the good welcome, Sohel and Dr_Naf. 'Bangers' isn't a good nick? Okay, I take that back.

Hey bro, Bangers/Bangas/Banglas/Bangus are a few terms used in other cricket forums for Bangladesh.....most like to use the term Bangers especially when we're hammering the opponent team well :-p.....that name actually does sound cool when you take the other meaning out of one's mind :-p!!!!!

Trigger_Tiger
June 10, 2007, 06:56 PM

Chimera? Oita ki :confused:

syzygy
June 10, 2007, 08:22 PM
Chimera? Oita ki :confused:

A fanciful mental illusion or fabrication

kalpurush
June 10, 2007, 11:53 PM
A fanciful mental illusion or fabrication

...sample of the above!:D

( Tiger ra SL shingho-k pahari chagol banaiya dibo...sei din durey noy beshi!!)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w215/obayedh/images8.jpg

Rabz
June 11, 2007, 12:16 AM
Welcome to the forum Pink.
Hope to see you around.

And about subject matter:
I dont really care what team they field. Whether they have Murali, Vass, Jaya or some new comers.

Im more concerned about my own team and how they would perform.

Im sure the boys are eagerly waiting to begin a new era in Tiger cricket and given any opposition, they will be more concerned about thier own performance and making a name for themselves and the team.

Stop focussing too much on the opponent.
Rather focus on our own strengths and weakness and how we can create havoc on thier camps.

Tigers_eye
June 11, 2007, 09:27 AM

Stop focussing too much on the opponent.
Rather focus on our own strengths and weakness and how we can create havoc on thier camps.
If you say this to the fans, I would agree. But if you say to the players then I can't. SWOTs last word is "threats" which should be taken seriously.

Beamer said it all. It is Bandara that I too fear. And that guy named Maharoof. And why even bother mentioning his greatness's name. Ash remember this your punching bag team. Just stick around over a session per innings. :)

Sohel
June 11, 2007, 09:41 AM

... or of a box belonging to a certain mediterranean damsel whose name starts with the letter "p".

Sohel
June 11, 2007, 09:44 AM
If you say this to the fans, I would agree. But if you say to the players then I can't. SWOTs last word is "threats" which should be taken seriously.

Beamer said it all. It is Bandara that I too fear. And that guy named Maharoof. And why even bother mentioning his greatness's name. Ash remember this your punching bag team. Just stick around over a session per innings. :)

la ultima verdad.

Sohel
June 13, 2007, 07:26 AM
Hey bro, Bangers/Bangas/Banglas/Bangus are a few terms used in other cricket forums for Bangladesh.....most like to use the term Bangers especially when we're hammering the opponent team well :-p.....that name actually does sound cool when you take the other meaning out of one's mind :-p!!!!!

until we start to put together a string of victories, the term banger would only mean the "other thing" or the semi-savory sausage served in english pubs with warm beer ... "bangu" is an insulting term in my book.

Sohel
June 13, 2007, 07:28 AM
here's an update. looks like sanath will be rested for the tests after all.

QUOTE- "We will give Jayasuriya a rest in the Tests but he is most likely to be included in the one-day series," a Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) source said Monday."

read: http://lankasun.com:8000/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=267&Itemid=41

Electrequiem
June 13, 2007, 11:06 AM

Nailed it.

Murali and Malinga seem to be the biggest threats.

Beamer
June 14, 2007, 03:07 PM
Don't forget Upal Tharanga. This guys just feasts on our bowling. Also, Marvan will have a point or two to prove since he has been sidelined. Once this guy gets settled he has a tendency to score big ones. Mahela can get distracted if his fluency is checked and prone to throw his wkt away. But, right now he is in golden nick and there is Sangakkara. This is going to be a tough ask for our bowlers specailly if our batsmen don't cover for them. Too often our bowlers are made to operate against a batting side free of pressure. First innings score is key to our overall success or failure. Posting a decent 300+ total in the first inning is crucial.

oracle
June 14, 2007, 08:50 PM
I was really hoping that Sanath would be rested and we would get some sort of fighting chance in the one dayers. I agree about Upal. In the WC he was not comfortable or could not adjust to the conditions but at home he will be a handful for our bowlers.

Sohel
June 23, 2007, 04:51 AM
Bumped up. Vaas is not being rested after all. Jayasuriya is. Tharanga's injured and Marvan Samson Atapattu has found a better way to spend time. That leaves Warnapura.

Quoted from Hydro- "Now Malinda Warnapura is the guy every one is talking about here..he got in to the team by some awesome performances in the A team. He avged 107+ in the recent A Team tour in India...and he did brilliantly against Bangla A team as well..(sorry dont know the stats..but u can dig and see..because this guy can be a huge threat 2 u) If he gets a chance..I'm really looking forward to c him bat.."

Our Lankan cousins seem to expect a lot from young Warnapura ... hence my humble request to Hydro and abherath, can you tell us a bit about the way he bats?

And abherath, stupid curiosity, but are you by any chance related to Herath Mudiyanselage Rangana Keerthi Bandara Herath? Love the length BTW.