PDA

View Full Version : Afro-Asia cup review

battye
June 10, 2007, 12:01 PM
Firstly, man of the match for the 3rd ODI.

Rafique played well, but for him to have got it he would have need to take 6-fer or something very good.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni for mine, magnificent knock. Along with Jayawardene, turned the match around.

At 5/72, Asia XI looked done for. If it wasn't for the Dhoni-Jayawardene partnership Asia XI would have been flogged by 7 or so wickets.

Afro-Asia Cup in my opinion was a success. Before the games, I thought this will be a meaningless series. But after having watched all three ODI's (didn't manage to see the Twenty20), I was very pleased with the entertainment value. I thought the quality of cricket was exceptionally good, albeit if it seemed to be very much a tournament for the batsmen. Africa XI's bowling is what let them down. The games were so close, that I think had Shaun Pollock been bowling it could have been a 3-0 whitewash to Africa.

Highlights, obviously Dhoni's century, smashing them to all parts. Pollock's century I think was slightly better, due to the fact that Pollock is a bowler, yet he can really turn it on if the situation requires it. Jayawardene should also get a mention.

Vusi Sibanda, a real class batsman. Looked very good with de Villiers today. If I recall, he has retired from Zimbabwe cricket? So today's knock of 45 could be the last time we see him in an ODI, unless of course he makes a return to Zimbabwe, or waits 4 years and plays elsewhere. Or maybe he will play in the next Afro-Asia Cup? :) Whatever happens, I hope we see more of him, so much potential.

Chigumbura, very expensive, but the equal second leading wicket taker behind Morne Morkel. He was consistent (albeit consistently expensive!), and also showed he can be an important allrounder (scoring 40 in the 1st ODI). I'm sure we will see more of him over the next 10 or 15 years.

Ganguly, very impressive with that 88 yesterday.

And the Bangladeshi's, Rafique was excellent today. His wickets really stopped the momentum going Africa's way. Getting the wicket of Sibanda, IMO was the turning point today. Had he gone on to make another 40 or so runs, I think Africa would have easily won the match. Mashrafe was expensive, only took 1 wicket in the 2 games he played, but seemed good. A real star in the making.

In all, I enjoyed the series, and I agree with the commentators, it is fantastic to see players from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India and Bangladesh (and South Africa, Zimbabwe and Kenya) coming together as one to celebrate wickets, and work together to form magnificent partnerships (Dhoni and J'dene, Sibanda and de Villiers etc).

A good series, I look forward to the next edition! :D

Ganguly da
June 10, 2007, 12:06 PM
well said, like your observation

Electrequiem
June 10, 2007, 12:09 PM
Dhoni played brilliantly well today ... and rafique got some crucial wickets. Good to know Mash didn't suffer any injuries or so :)

Protic
June 10, 2007, 12:23 PM
Yeah ..=) I always liked the idea..
I really enjoy watching our players celebrating together..

Shafin
June 10, 2007, 12:57 PM
They only need to make sure Players are comitted to the series and it's played in cricket loving places,it'll be a huge success.

One World
June 10, 2007, 04:54 PM
good post - keep it up

Trigger_Tiger
June 10, 2007, 08:25 PM
Good post battye :). Very well written :up:!!!!!

Antora
June 10, 2007, 09:42 PM
awesome article!!!!! kepp it up!!!

indfan82
June 11, 2007, 03:01 AM
good concept but i think they shud keep it on hold till some of the afrcian nations come along or develop into a decent playing nation. it rather seems like safrica v/s asia rather than africa v/s asia they shud have included more of the kenyan players like tanmay mishra....hiren varaiya why they didnt include him is a mystery .. this african side consisited moreof s african fringe players (six)(excluding pollock and boucher) 3 kenyan and 2 zimbabwean rather it shud have been 4-4-3 Same goes for the asian 11 (one reason cud be this was last minute squad since most of the players of the earlier squad backed out) newyas a gud concept....

Sohel
June 11, 2007, 03:35 AM
good read battye, thanks bro. tamim, mash, razz, raf, mahela, polly, MS and kemp kept it going for me personally, as did some of the deliveries from asif, zaheer, dilhara and the "turbanator". i wish sibanda played for us.

i'm REALLY relieved that mash didn't pick up an injury.

Nocturnal
June 11, 2007, 03:54 AM
nice post battye. :)

Baundule
June 11, 2007, 04:48 AM
Looking at the scores, very good post with good analysis.

My own belief is, all those matches were more or less fixed. Situations were intentionally created to demonstrate the matches as competitive.

Mahir
June 11, 2007, 05:07 AM
Thanks battye. Just found myself another one to appreciate these so-called All-Star games in cricket.

My own belief is, all those matches were more or less fixed. Situations were intentionally created to demonstrate the matches as competitive.

I am definitely not intent on getting into any sort of argument here, hence my rhetorical question : How on earth can an entire series of cricket, let alone a single match, get fixed with pre-arranged "situations" ? ...match-fixing in cricket is a different kind of match-fixing, methinks, than other sports, i.e football (soccer) - in which it's possible to play towards a pre-set goal count and a designated winning team.

Sovik
June 11, 2007, 05:19 AM
last game was close. only africa didn't have good bowlers. pollock didn't bowl and ntini wasn't there. the series could have been close

indfan82
June 11, 2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks battye. Just found myself another one to appreciate these so-called All-Star games in cricket.

I am definitely not intent on getting into any sort of argument here, hence my rhetorical question : How on earth can an entire series of cricket, let alone a single match, get fixed with pre-arranged "situations" ? ...match-fixing in cricket is a different kind of match-fixing, methinks, than other sports, i.e football (soccer) - in which it's possible to play towards a pre-set goal count and a designated winning team.
maybe baundule knows something we dont know:confused:

Rabz
June 11, 2007, 06:20 AM
A good end to a skeptic series.
Good entertaining cricket all around and even though the Asian won 3-0, The Africans did show lot of heart and played neck and neck.

Most importantly, our boys didnt get injured.

Bring it on SL.

rah
June 11, 2007, 12:18 PM
nove read bruv
keep it up

gatekeeper
June 11, 2007, 12:22 PM
In my oinion, and it purely MY opinion, these sort of game do nothing for anyone. Totally useless games.

Tigers_eye
June 11, 2007, 12:25 PM
nove read bruv
keep it up
Could you please elaborate what it means. Sorry sir, I blame my lack of understanding.

Good review batteye.

My personal choice would be scrapping these type of games.

Rizvi
June 12, 2007, 10:00 AM
I think this series is really BS unless you have the BEST TEAM put together from EACH SIDE. Now that would like watching an ALL-STAR game of cricket. Otherwise, it's a waste of time to see the ASIAN stars battings against below par bowlers from Africa.

For future, ICC must convince ALLthe stars to participate to possibly make this a long-term entertaining event. The ASIANs more or less sent in a very strong team, but i was completely dissapointed by the AFRICAN sides.

Rizvi
June 12, 2007, 10:05 AM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 1px">Originally Posted by rah
nove read bruv
keep it up

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Could you please elaborate what it means. Sorry sir, I blame my lack of understanding.

That's just how the English speak! Very peculiar, especially North Weasie, London

IanW
June 12, 2007, 10:28 AM
I think this series is really BS unless you have the BEST TEAM put together from EACH SIDE. Now that would like watching an ALL-STAR game of cricket. Otherwise, it's a waste of time to see the ASIAN stars battings against below par bowlers from Africa.

For future, ICC must convince ALLthe stars to participate to possibly make this a long-term entertaining event. The ASIANs more or less sent in a very strong team, but i was completely dissapointed by the AFRICAN sides.

I've got a better idea. Scrap this stupid event.

Cricket is about playing for your country. It isnt about manufactured events designed to provide cheap pay-TV and something for gamblers to bet on.

Ian Whitchurch

syzygy
June 12, 2007, 11:13 PM

Cricket is about playing for your country. It isnt about manufactured events designed to provide cheap pay-TV and something for gamblers to bet on.

Ian Whitchurch

ian, sometimes u need to look beyond your own country. events like this allows players from diff nations to mingle with their counterparts and it helps to spread friendship.its sad that many top players could not participate but whoever participated played their heart out. if u should only play for ur country then following ur analogy no australians should play for the english county clubs as well, right (afterall these are British clubs?) ? i heard shane warne is still playing in the english county cirles, probably he does nt enjoy the excitement of pura cup and ur other domestic tournaments. and there are many more names.imho turnaments like these should further encouraged.

IanW
June 13, 2007, 12:25 AM
ian, sometimes u need to look beyond your own country. events like this allows players from diff nations to mingle with their counterparts and it helps to spread friendship.its sad that many top players could not participate but whoever participated played their heart out. if u should only play for ur country then following ur analogy no australians should play for the english county clubs as well, right (afterall these are British clubs?) ? i heard shane warne is still playing in the english county cirles, probably he does nt enjoy the excitement of pura cup and ur other domestic tournaments. and there are many more names.imho turnaments like these should further encouraged.

Yep. No Australian player should play for a county when his country needs him.

And Sheffield Shield is what you play to get good enough to wear a baggy green cap.

Stupid concept, stupid tournament.

Ian Whitchurch

Sohel
June 13, 2007, 02:23 AM

Ian Whitchurch

great idea and absolutely. looks like the next AA Cup in kenya maybe the last according to an AFP report.

syzygy
June 13, 2007, 03:01 AM
Yep. No Australian player should play for a county when his country needs him.

And Sheffield Shield is what you play to get good enough to wear a baggy green cap.

Stupid concept, stupid tournament.

Ian Whitchurch

well why should they even play for the english county? just stick to ur own dometic tournaments.but the fact is there are more australian players who plays english county cricket than any other country's international or domestic players.

again afro-asia cup is a good concept and it is worth the entertainment.

IanW
June 13, 2007, 11:04 AM
Sohel,

You play in England because it's the off season and thats where the money is.

That said, pressure has been applied on Australian bowlers not to go to England, for fear of overwork leading to breakdown.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/cricket/1999/world_cup/news/1999/06/20/notebook/

Note the key para ... 'McGrath indicated before the start of the season that he wanted to play county cricket in England and Worcestershire is hopeful the Australian Cricket Board (ACB) will not block the move.'

Look, there is too much one-day cricket being played, and players are getting burned out and hurt. Mickey-mouse, made-for-betting-and-TV events like the Afro-Asia Cup only make this worse.

Ian Whitchurch

Sohel
June 13, 2007, 12:50 PM
Sohel,

You play in England because it's the off season and thats where the money is.

That said, pressure has been applied on Australian bowlers not to go to England, for fear of overwork leading to breakdown.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/cricket/1999/world_cup/news/1999/06/20/notebook/

Note the key para ... 'McGrath indicated before the start of the season that he wanted to play county cricket in England and Worcestershire is hopeful the Australian Cricket Board (ACB) will not block the move.'

Look, there is too much one-day cricket being played, and players are getting burned out and hurt. Mickey-mouse, made-for-betting-and-TV events like the Afro-Asia Cup only make this worse.

Ian Whitchurch

hello ???

i think you meant syzygy , not Sohel bro ...

this is what i had to say in post #25 of this thread: -

Ian Whitchurch

great idea and absolutely. looks like the next AA Cup in kenya maybe the last according to an AFP report.