PDA

View Full Version : Sakib @ Nottinghamshire

Dhakablues
June 11, 2007, 12:39 AM
Check this out:

http://www.ajkerkagoj.com/2007/June11/sports.html#7

For thsoe who cant read Bangla,, basically, it says, Nottinghamshire asked Sakib whether he is interested in playing for the team and how much money he wants. Sakib replied back in asking what other perks he gets if he to sign for the team.

So Nottinghamshire is Pro40 Division One team and not a rainhill type weekend team, if I am not mistaken. Good news for Sakib.... seems like there are people who are scouting these talented players...I hope this works out for Sakib as this will be probably a major step for a Bangladeshi player.. Bulbul, Ashraful's stint dont count as they were not really pro-league.

tonoy
June 11, 2007, 12:42 AM
allright. ONe of our best player gets a chance to get better.

Antora
this iz definately good news for moyna!!!!!! i

Nocturnal
interesting. thanks for sharing.

One World
June 11, 2007, 12:44 AM
shakib al hasan = :flag:

tonoy
June 11, 2007, 12:47 AM
It makes sense. As English county loves allrounder and likes to use full advantage of it.

scipio
June 11, 2007, 12:48 AM
if he joins....the day he makes his debut....will be one of the greatest achievement for Bangldaesh cricket.....Sakib bhai egio cholo amra achit tomar sathey

Antora
June 11, 2007, 12:51 AM
if he joins....the day he makes his debut....will be one of the greatest achievement for Bangldaesh cricket.....Sakib bhai egio cholo amra achit tomar sathey

omg...absolutely correct!!!!! finally they decided to pick bd players!!!!!! lol

Rabz
June 11, 2007, 12:56 AM
It would be good for Sakib to have experience on alien condition.
Also performing good on the league might also give him a chance to play in County as well.

All in all, any experience is good and this will only help him to be a better player in the future.

Tintin
June 11, 2007, 12:59 AM
Does the article say why Notts is interested in him ? Sakib will be available from late July to early September, between the SL tour and the 20-20 World Cup (assuming that he doesn't want to play in the two weeks before the SL tour).

The current overseas players for Nottinghamshire are Stephen Fleming and David Hussey (http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/NATIONAL/ENG/FC_TEAMS/NOTTS/ ) New Zealand and Australia have no engagements before the 20-20 World Cup, so both should be available till then.

Some conjectures are that Notts wants Sakib to play in one form of the game (say only one days), Fleming wants to take a break before the 20-20 World Cup, or that Sakib is not expected to be part of the Bangladesh side for the 20-20 WC because he is too slow (while Fleming will play for NZ).

sheikh
June 11, 2007, 01:02 AM
this iz definately good news for moyna!!!!!! i

!!!!!!???? :-/

scipio
June 11, 2007, 01:03 AM
It would be good for Sakib to have experience on alien condition.
Also performing good on the league might also give him a chance to play in County as well.

All in all, any experience is good and this will only help him to be a better player in the future.

no doubt this would be a great oportunity for him and his career....playing with the likes of Stephen Fleming as his captain would be a great way to learn more about being a good cricket player.....and hope fleming is there to guide him

Nocturnal
June 11, 2007, 01:05 AM

check this one:
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=21195&highlight=nick+names

Antora
June 11, 2007, 01:16 AM

oh..moyna iz sakibs nick name lol

ammark
June 11, 2007, 01:16 AM
Oh wow. Greatest news I've read in this past week!!! Great for Sakib. Playing for a full county team! and I hope he gets it for first class squad as well. Sakib should take this opportunity outright. Remuneration and perks may be important, but this is an opportunity knocking big time!

Antora
June 11, 2007, 01:19 AM
now.. that moyna iz gettin in a county team.. anyone now of any other bd players that might be given the same opportunity?

cricket_king
June 11, 2007, 01:37 AM
Congrats to sakib.....hope he doesnt decide to skip some tours just to play county like some other unfaithful players

cricket_pagol
June 11, 2007, 01:51 AM
Congrats to Sakib... I hope it works out for him.

BTW, I want Sakib in my 20-20 team... he is crucial for the balance of the team. Not every member of the has to score at more than run a ball... needless to say, his bowling will also be very useful. I am curious if he will play in the first team or their second team.

RazabQ
June 11, 2007, 01:58 AM
I know I'm Mr. optimist but guys (and gals), between an SMS message to actually signing a contract, [বাংলা]অনেক পানি গড়াতে হবে[/বাংলা]. So let us not be greasing the goatee in anticipation of ze jackfruit :)

Trigger_Tiger
June 11, 2007, 02:01 AM
Great for Bangaldesh cricket and more for Shakib.

@ antora93: Sadly for Nafees, had he maintained his form of 2006, I pretty am sure he would have had gotten a few calls by now. Mashrafe deserves a call as well :)!

Trigger_Tiger
June 11, 2007, 02:01 AM
So let us not be greasing the goatee in anticipation of ze jackfruit :)

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

ammark
June 11, 2007, 02:02 AM
Great for Bangaldesh cricket and more for Shakib.

@ antora93: Sadly for Nafees, had he maintained his form of 2006, I pretty am sure he would have had gotten a few calls by now. Mashrafe deserves a call as well :)!

Mashrafe deserves more of a call. Too bad England is awash with pace bowlers who swing the ball :(

WarWolf
June 11, 2007, 02:36 AM
Nothing is final yet. We should wait and see what happens.

Shafin
June 11, 2007, 02:56 AM
There was an article in Inqilab yesterday,it said,Ashraful Fetched the Job for Shakib.The officials there asked him to name a good allrounder,while he was in Rainhill,and he recommended Shakib.

I'll try to find the link for that.

Sohel
June 11, 2007, 03:11 AM
good dig bro ... better news ... moyna makes me proud to call him shakzie, again.

Orion
June 11, 2007, 05:29 AM
u guys sure its the countyside Nottinghamshire or just a local club like Rainhill from that region. Can anybody clarify?

Aritro
June 11, 2007, 05:53 AM
I really hope this goes through.

Imagine how much improvement how he could improve his batting playing in unfamiliar conditions for a while.

Sovik
June 11, 2007, 05:57 AM
he will be playing alongside stephen fleming and david hussey

rubel_18
June 11, 2007, 06:14 AM
Congratulations to Sakib, he has a good prospect to become a good allrounder and with this opportunity I'm sure will help him on his way to become a great player.

Ehsan
June 11, 2007, 08:12 AM
Bhaat-er khobor nai aar manush ekhane pulao-er shopno dekhtese. "Laage raho"!

makorsha
June 11, 2007, 08:38 AM
Congratulations to Sakib, he has a good prospect to become a good allrounder and with this opportunity I'm sure will help him on his way to become a great player.
you guys are as emotional as our playres....
Gatchey katahal ..
ANyways are you sure it is Nottinghamshire.. or just another lilttle club like Rainhill in Nottngham..???????????????
I do not see any players in BD matured enough to play in County..My Dad played first class cricket for Royal Airforce in England, My cousing played for county Cricket.
My Dad played for GimKhana Club and he does not see any firstclass caliber in our cricketers....
WHat he believes is no one applies footwork.. all wristy playres for good oneday cricket...
You guys may disagree..
Once our domestic cricket developed and matured automatically we will get more and more developed first class cricketers..
it is about mindset and psychology...

patriot
June 11, 2007, 09:26 AM
I guess they had liked his innings of 50+ against England.The way he clobbered Flintoff for fours and sixes was a treat to watch.

Protic
June 11, 2007, 09:44 AM
Lets see how it ends up..:) If it ends up good..then i'll be happy..!

Protic
June 11, 2007, 09:58 AM
Apart from Stephen Fleming,David Hussey..Notts also have Ryan Sidebottom in their team..

Tintin
June 11, 2007, 10:02 AM
he will be playing alongside stephen fleming and david hussey

A county team is allowed only two overseas players at time. So Fleming, Hussey and Sakib cannot play together.

Thunder
June 11, 2007, 10:11 AM
Hope he doesn't lose the contract by showing too much weight .. :timeout:

Hatebreed
June 11, 2007, 10:23 AM
Great news for Sakib. I wish him all the best.

Bengaliprince176
June 11, 2007, 10:34 AM
thats cool man, now i can go to trent bridge to support a Bengali!! good move as Nottingham has a number of Bangladeshis, he can improve his game and be a crowd puller

Nafi
June 11, 2007, 10:37 AM
I swear nottinghamshire already has two overseas players, so Sakib is not gonna get many matches.

Omio
June 11, 2007, 10:53 AM
Really great news for our cricket, but it wud b useless if he wont get chance the main X1,
And all of the world class player r playing here, if he get chance he will learn a lot of thing..

Ajfar
June 11, 2007, 11:12 AM
oii soccer something....bettaa taa geloo koiii....orr songee aktaa valoo sakkat howaa dorkarr...

Sovik
June 11, 2007, 11:13 AM
A county team is allowed only two overseas players at time. So Fleming, Hussey and Sakib cannot play together.

then alongside either fleming or hussey

Tigers_eye
June 11, 2007, 11:22 AM
Bhaat-er khobor nai aar manush ekhane pulao-er shopno dekhtese. "Laage raho"!
Polao na biriani. Tao abar Khasi'r chak gosh'er. Pashey gorur resala, Murgir roast, Kabab.

You can tell lunch time is nearing.

kalpurush
June 11, 2007, 11:24 AM
Polao na biriani. Tao abar Khasi'r chak gosh'er. Pashey gorur resala, Murgir roast, Kabab.

You can tell lunch time is nearing.

...isn't it more of a dinner, boss?!:D

jivey jatey lol asey ter babostha-o korlam with bonus moruvumi-rosgulla!!!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w215/obayedh/images11.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w215/obayedh/V00021.jpg

Trigger_Tiger
June 11, 2007, 11:33 AM
you guys are as emotional as our playres....
Gatchey katahal ..
ANyways are you sure it is Nottinghamshire.. or just another lilttle club like Rainhill in Nottngham..???????????????
I do not see any players in BD matured enough to play in County..My Dad played first class cricket for Royal Airforce in England, My cousing played for county Cricket.
My Dad played for GimKhana Club and he does not see any firstclass caliber in our cricketers....
WHat he believes is no one applies footwork.. all wristy playres for good oneday cricket...
You guys may disagree..
Once our domestic cricket developed and matured automatically we will get more and more developed first class cricketers..
it is about mindset and psychology...

And you are a pessimist while we are optimistic well-wishers!

sandpiper
June 11, 2007, 11:39 AM
what is moruvumi rosgolla ?? :-/ looking delicious though E-) :drool:

jivey jatey lol asey ter babostha-o korlam with bonus moruvumi-rosgulla!!!

abdulw11
June 11, 2007, 12:01 PM
Wow, excellent news. Hope the deal actually happens.

Wish him all the best.

rah
June 11, 2007, 12:09 PM
HAH wheres ashrAful and dat rainhill CC? HEH!!!!!!!!!lol
anyways nottinghamshire alreaduy have 2 overseas players

ialbd
June 11, 2007, 12:09 PM
good news indeed... expected this to happen earlier...

Miraz
June 11, 2007, 12:17 PM
Nottinghamshire county club website has no news about Sakib.

Link (http://www.nottsccc.co.uk/index.php?cid=1&scid=&flg=c)

It might be another minor county club of Nottinghamshire showing interest.

sandpiper
June 11, 2007, 12:23 PM
yes, I also have chekced their site in the morning

Rajowana
June 11, 2007, 12:24 PM
awww this is a gd news

Rajowana
June 11, 2007, 12:26 PM

huh im confused now

Tigers_eye
June 11, 2007, 12:29 PM
HAH wheres ashrAful and dat rainhill CC? HEH!!!!!!!!!lol

I guess you can't read Bangla or you haven't read the link. They got Sakib's number from Ash.

sadi
June 11, 2007, 12:30 PM
My guess is they are still talking about a deal. So, more than likely it won't make the news unless a deal has been done.

Rajowana
June 11, 2007, 12:31 PM
My guess is they are still talking about a deal. So, more than likely it won't make the news unless a deal has been done.

ohh i see

Kabir
June 11, 2007, 12:38 PM

They would only post it on their website if they make the deal. Otherwise, why would they post it there?

I would've been surprised if it was on their website already.

The article says, they're still discussing. So, no deal YET.

Shafin
June 11, 2007, 12:39 PM

I fear you are right.

tonoy
June 11, 2007, 12:51 PM
Its still on process. Why the hell would you think that it should be on their website yet?

Miraz
June 11, 2007, 12:53 PM
They would only post it on their website if they make the deal. Otherwise, why would they post it there?

I would've been surprised if it was on their website already.

The article says, they're still discussing. So, no deal YET.

You don't know about British press. :)

If anyone is linked to any club, they make a big news. Once the deal is finalized, they run a number of follow up news.

I hope everyone else is right and I am wrong. I will be more than happy to be wrong here. :)

Electrequiem
June 11, 2007, 12:55 PM
It's awesome news for Sakib ... given that he accepts of course.

Kabir
June 11, 2007, 12:56 PM
You don't know about British press. :)

If anyone is linked to any club, they make a big news.

The only way this news got published in Bangladesh is because of the player who was contacted. It wasn't that the club contacted Bangladeshi newspapers for publishing it. Right bro?

I'm not surprised about British press either. They may have no clue about it. How often do Nottinghamshire people hold press-conferences where they talk about the players they've contacted but haven't received a "yes" yet? They need to be professional here. Nothing can be more insulting to them even when they're paying high and are respectable but still the player doesn't accept the offer. I guess Ford's refusal to accept India's offer leaves a valuable lesson for us all? :)

Hatebreed
June 11, 2007, 01:02 PM
I don't think British mainstream media or the general public is that interest in county "cricket" clubs. Sakib is not that well-known anyway, neither a player of Fleming or Hussey's calibre and status.

sandpiper
June 11, 2007, 01:05 PM
this is not Michael Hussey, he is David Hussey from Western Australia

http://www.trentbridge.co.uk/cricket/team-profiles.php?cid=4&scid=17&flg=s&pid=60

I don't think British mainstream media or the general public is that interest in county "cricket" clubs. Sakib is not that well-known anyway, neither a player of Fleming or Hussey's calibre and status.

mla
June 11, 2007, 01:15 PM
Y, he is Mike Hussey's brother.

Shakib would be an interesting choice for Nottinghamshire. Although he's undoubtedly a brilliant prospect, I thought the overseas players tended to be established players brought in to ramp up a side, rather than young players who are still developing their potential. (No doubt I will now be proved wrong by each of you coming up with at least 10 examples of young overseas pros in the county game...).

mla
June 11, 2007, 01:17 PM
Also, I thought that the number of overseas players in county sides was being reduced from 2 to 1 from the 2008 season onwards.

Sohel
June 11, 2007, 01:42 PM

i think you're right.

Hatebreed
June 11, 2007, 01:43 PM
I never said he was. Have you seen his county stats (http://content-www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/5766.html)? He's just as good as his brother.

this is not Michael Hussey, he is David Hussey from Western Australia

http://www.trentbridge.co.uk/cricket/team-profiles.php?cid=4&scid=17&flg=s&pid=60

sandpiper
June 11, 2007, 01:50 PM
he has an awesome average !
I never said he was. Have you seen his county stats (http://content-www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/5766.html)? He's just as good as his brother.

kalpurush
June 11, 2007, 02:10 PM
what is moruvumi rosgolla ?? :-/ looking delicious though E-) :drool:

...dessert er bangla!...vasay boichitrer baboher er ki!!;)

kalpurush
June 11, 2007, 02:14 PM
:hairpull: Miraz bhai er post and link porey...money hochchey bangla songbad -potrer bissah juggota aro druto gotitey nichey namitesey!:doh:

sandpiper
June 11, 2007, 02:14 PM
:) :)
...dessert er bangla!...vasay boichitrer baboher er ki!!;)

MarufH
June 11, 2007, 02:39 PM
It says a nameless SMS came to sakibs cell.... and we all are so excited about it... c'mon guys.. get real... it could be somebody just messing with him!!! anyways.. I'm gonna keep my finger crossed hope for the best.

Farhad
June 11, 2007, 04:10 PM
That would be great news if its true. I doubt it though...

SideWinder
June 11, 2007, 04:47 PM
Something tells me no matter what Sakib will be a 30 average + bowler with 100 wickets in 100 odies and an ok batsman averaging 32.

Nafis_BD
June 11, 2007, 05:03 PM
Great News this will help Saqib to really really improve his game and this is going to be a great thing if he joins cause he will probably be the only Bangali who ever played in those leagues untill now!!!

Ishtylish cricketer
June 11, 2007, 08:29 PM
For me to believe this an official statement from the Nottinghamsphire is required. I hope he does get picked to play that would be great. Untill there's something official does get released I wouldn't get my hopes up.

BD Tigers
June 11, 2007, 09:14 PM
lets wait for more news before getting overboard.

gatekeeper
June 11, 2007, 09:15 PM
I think Sakib has the talent to become a permanent fixture in the county ciruites, lets see what happens after this. In the meantime congrats.

cricket_king
June 11, 2007, 10:32 PM
Hope he doesn't lose the contract by showing too much weight .. :timeout:

Mate.....the guy's a stick. There aint no way he's gonna end up like nafees, who i heard has lost some of that marital upper body.

betaar
June 11, 2007, 11:11 PM
To the Guys who are

over optimistic: let's not get over board with too much high hopes. If he gets the contract with Notts that, no doubt, would be the best thing for him and BD cricket.

pesimistic: it does not hurt to be positive. But I guess you folks do need to create balance for all the over optimists that we have in this thread.

Let's not argue, let's just all wish him luck and make this possibility a reality.

Trigger_Tiger
June 12, 2007, 02:13 AM
Something tells me no matter what Sakib will be a 30 average + bowler with 100 wickets in 100 odies and an ok batsman averaging 32.

As long as he keeps delivering in one way or the other, its all good :up:!!!!!

Antora
June 12, 2007, 02:15 AM
oii soccer something....bettaa taa geloo koiii....orr songee aktaa valoo sakkat howaa dorkarr...

hahaha i was just thinking the same.... i wonder what he has to say about this!!!! lol

nobody
June 12, 2007, 04:27 AM
is it a real thing or rumor? there is no update or follow up in Ajker Kagoj. other newspapers also not reported it.

Fortuner
June 12, 2007, 04:21 PM
gud news.i always wanted bd players to play in england,sa or aus...so tht they get used to the fast bouncy pitches there.......
shakib is talented..decent batting n bowling..it wld b gr8 if he plays n imrpoves him game more and help our team..

Fazal
June 12, 2007, 04:41 PM
I think it was a prank by our new Captan.

selina
June 12, 2007, 05:55 PM
I think it was a prank by our new Captan.

Only been captain for a few days and he's already started his "Ashrafulgiri" :lol:

Oh well.. guess we'll just watch the fun!

Dhakablues
June 12, 2007, 08:03 PM
Well here is the update:
http://www.ajkerkagoj.com/2007/June13/sports.html#10

Seems like due to national duty,, Sakib had to deny this opportunity

Tokyobreeze
June 12, 2007, 09:43 PM
Sad..But, surely our Sakib will make his share of opportunities in near future.