PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News:Graham Ford Turns Down India Coaching Job.

Shafin
June 11, 2007, 06:16 AM
Now thats a news.This wont happen once in every few months.

Just Saw in CI commentary between WI and England

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/engvwi/engine/current/match/258461.html

get to over 116.

Antora
June 11, 2007, 06:26 AM
thnx 4 sharing!!! hahahah i find this coach finding thing highly ammusing!!! just like one of those long hindi movies that neva want to end.. or those bangla serials!! lol
anyway.... maybe this is a chance for whatmore!!! hahahah i still cant believe he turned down on coaching india...hahahahahahahah......

Shafin
June 11, 2007, 06:34 AM
here's the link

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/297675.html

Whatmore would look foolish if he now takes the job,he should go to Pakistan instead.

indfan82
June 11, 2007, 06:38 AM
lookslike more of a personal decision. this is getting more and more embarassing for indian cricket . dunno why did he come for the interview in the first place?

Surfer
June 11, 2007, 06:55 AM
Sorry....ddint see the earlier thread....:o

Surfer
June 11, 2007, 06:59 AM
Hope shastri comes back...

Mohiul
June 11, 2007, 07:05 AM
They always try to snatch our loaf now someone has snatched their loaf. lol.....hahahahahahhaha

indfan82
June 11, 2007, 07:12 AM
Hope shastri comes back... If he comes back great...i dont think so he will lets see...i think they might probably appoint g vishwantah as batting coach no separate coach and prasad and robin as bowling and fielding coach and give them a try till the england tour will be interesting ...other option is Emburey :doh:

Surfer
June 11, 2007, 07:48 AM
They always try to snatch our loaf now someone has snatched their loaf. lol.....hahahahahahhaha

when was your loaf snatched? and when was India's loaf snatched?

Surfer
June 11, 2007, 07:48 AM
If he comes back great...i dont think so he will lets see...i think they might probably appoint g vishwantah as batting coach no separate coach and prasad and robin as bowling and fielding coach and give them a try till the england tour will be interesting ...other option is Emburey :doh:

Oh no, not embury......I hope they find out someone worth it. I dont know enough about Embury, but I dont think he has the experience.

Tintin
June 11, 2007, 07:49 AM
Hope shastri comes back...

If BCCI is willing to pay him $1 million a year, he may leave his ESPN job. But of course,they wouldn't.

Without the Pakistani cricket team and the BCCI, the world cricket wouldn't be half as exciting :)

Miraz
June 11, 2007, 08:13 AM
Someone was very interested to take the job and India ruled him out, and now BCCI wanted someone eagerly and he turns down the job!!

Exciting developments. :)

Shafin
June 11, 2007, 08:21 AM
I'm sure BCCI didnt think of this even in their dreams,to turn down 1M,you need courage.

Sohel
June 11, 2007, 08:51 AM
Someone was very interested to take the job and India ruled him out, and now BCCI wanted someone eagerly and he turns down the job!!

Exciting developments. :)

talk about karma !

Slysaint
June 11, 2007, 09:03 AM
I'm sure BCCI didnt think of this even in their dreams,to turn down 1M,you need courage.

I really admire a man who can turn down such a huge paycheck, It does show the world is not money centric as it often potrayed to be.

Having said that, what he did i cant condone, he has left the whole situation is total disarray, if he were not to take the job, he should havent applied and not shouldnt have even went for the interview, he made a total mockery of the whole process, granted it was a process which was bound to be mocked, but by doing what he did, it left a lot of questions and bitter taste, how can embery (sp) take that job now, knowing that he was rejected a few days ago, how can watmore take this job knowing he was rejected.

Furthermore, This process has made this complicated for Bangladesh too, it looked as if, coaching selection would have been completed with India 1st, then srilanka or pakistan and finally Bangladesh, now that India will head out again with its huge cash, Bangladesh cricket has to wait, which is detrimental from a young cricketing team like bangladesh, which in turn sets up a whole backlog on who is to be academy coach etc ..

I fear this didnt happen at the best time for Bangladesh cricket, I am hoping my fears turn out to be baseless

Ahmed_B
June 11, 2007, 09:04 AM
This Indian Coach selection thing is becoming a real farce now.

Tigers_eye
June 11, 2007, 09:05 AM
Picture speaks a thousand words.

:);) :smug: :-p :-D :D :lol: :clap: :great: :bravo: :joy::floor: :fire:

Above is the shortest summary of a 13 thousand words thought.

akabir77
June 11, 2007, 09:31 AM
Bangladesh should get richard mc for 1 year. cause india, pak, sl will take at least a year to decide by that time his contract will be up and bangladesh can think about renewing it or do some thing else...

Ganguly da
June 11, 2007, 09:39 AM
i strictly believe BCCI was not offering Ford that much money as compared to the salary of Greg Chappel last year. So Ford must have contemplated the constant travel back and forth to his family and the pressure of coaching Indian team....and then thought it's not worth going thru all the trouble. Another slap on BCCI's face. This is why a politician like Sharad pawar should never be given such high valued position. They always abuse it. Stick to L-O-C-A-L coaches!

patriot
June 11, 2007, 09:40 AM
Turning down 1 million for answering 1 billion people isn't a bad idea after all.:)

Ganguly da
June 11, 2007, 09:44 AM
i really think this "1 million" magic number is just a fabrication...there is no way BCCI was gonna offer million bucks to a new coach

Sovik
June 11, 2007, 09:51 AM
whats going on. this is getting funnier now

Hatebreed
June 11, 2007, 09:54 AM
Hahaha what a shame! BCCI with all its money and power can't even get the coach they want.

Slysaint
June 11, 2007, 09:56 AM
Hahaha what a shame! BCCI with all its money and power can't even get the coach they want.

guess BCCI (i think its about time they change the name and modernize it to ICB btw)

just doesnt have that much power afterall

sandpiper
June 11, 2007, 10:18 AM
Kent is safer than India :floor:

পিচ্চি
June 11, 2007, 10:39 AM
[.......]

Trigger_Tiger
June 11, 2007, 10:56 AM
Kent is safer than India :floor:

I am pretty sure that is just one of the many things he had thought about which made him change the decision.

That being said, if a board has the right to interview coaches and then reject them, the coaches do have the right to get selected and then decline the job offered to them.....interesting twist in the tale.....Dav, don't look back and Emburey, go back to coaching Northamptonshire or some other county cricket team.....BCCI, keep your feet on the ground please :)!!!!!

syzygy
June 11, 2007, 11:36 AM
Bummer!!! this is something which i was fearing because ford always had that kent contract to break.also i heard his wife is suffering from cancer and his son is sick too,so probably its a personal family decision by ford and its a right decision too. Its importatnt for him to stay close to his family in troubled times. on the hindsight, although he has one of the best coaching credentials but he would not have served the purpose of a national coach with all those family worries. so good for india and good ford. lets c whats bcci next move is.nice to c bd fans getting so excited abt ford's rejection considering they did nt have many in the past few weeks ;)

Kabir
June 11, 2007, 11:47 AM
:);) :smug: :-p :-D :D :lol: :clap: :great: :bravo: :joy::floor: :fire:

As a researcher, I have the nature of citing good work. So here's my whole post!
(Tigers_eye, 2007)

gatekeeper
June 11, 2007, 12:24 PM
This soap opera's producing more twist and turn than San Frnasisco's Lombard street.

damalChele
June 11, 2007, 01:17 PM
Why the hell are we so delirious? It could happen to us you know, someone turning down our offer. I won't see indians laughing at us.

ammark
June 11, 2007, 01:57 PM
OMG the sheer DRAMA!!! khaise. They might as well air this whole series on Star Plus for bored housewives to watch!

gatekeeper
June 11, 2007, 02:37 PM
Why the hell are we so delirious? It could happen to us you know, someone turning down our offer. I won't see indians laughing at us.

Don't think anyone's delirious. We're having an open discussion about the irony of this affaire.

irteja
June 11, 2007, 04:16 PM
OMG...why he did that?
What More gill sacrifice his nail and teeth for that job

Nafis_BD
June 11, 2007, 04:52 PM
This is really interesting ..........wonder what would happen if BCCI wants Dav to come back snd Dav turns them down!!!!!BCB should get Richard Mccines soon before Ind, SL, Pak wants him!!!

ialbd
June 11, 2007, 05:18 PM
was this the season finale? when does the next season begin...

babubangla
June 11, 2007, 05:33 PM
[বাংলা]মন্তব্য প্রতিবেদন[/বাংলা] :)

The promise of a big fat payday may lure those more mercenary but a top-level coach requires all sorts of assurances before taking up a job of such magnitude.

[বাংলা]আজ্ঞে দাদা, আমরা তো ভেবেচিলুম কাড়ি কাড়ি টাকা দোবো আর ফোর্ড ব্যাটা সোজা আমাদের আপিসে এসে দাঁড়িয়ে যাবে। এতো টাকা মাইনে দোবো জেনেও ও ব্যাটা আমাদের ঠায় না করে দিলো? এমন কান্ড ভারতবর্ষে আগে কেউ দেকেচে না শুনেচে। [/বাংলা]

The offer was that he would have to work with existing support staff that included Venkatesh Prasad and Robin Singh. Freedom to choose one's own support staff and the autonomy to chart out a long-term plan - in consultation with the captain - are of paramount importance to the best in the business, as is involvement at some level in team selection.

[বাংলা]মাস গেলে মাইনে পাবি আর দুবেলা দূটো খেতে পত্তে দোবো- ব্যাস মন লাগিয়ে কাজ করে যাবি। তা তুই সাথে কাজ করার জন্যে নগেন-কে পেলি নাকি খগেন-কে পেলি, তা নিয়ে তোর এতো মাথা খাটাবার কি তাড়া পড়লো? এসব সাহায্য কর্মীর দেখভাল করবো আমরা, সব খরচ জোগাব আমরা, আর তিনি কোত্থেকে ঊড়ে এসে বাবুগিরী করবেন—শোন নাগড়ের বায়না। মরি মরি।[/বাংলা]

Squads will be selected on Tuesday to tour Ireland and England and there is no time to find a coach to accompany the team. For a start, do they even know where to look? This is an embarrassment that the BCCI has brought upon itself.

[বাংলা]এএ এক বড় ফ্যাকড়ায় পড়েচি বৈকি। কোন একটা বিদেশী ধরে এনে দু-তিন মাস ঠেকা কাজ চালিয়ে এযাত্রা রক্ষে পেলে হয়। আগেতো ওপার বাংলায় মুখ বাড়িয়েছিলুম- হোয়াটমোরকে কাছে ডেকে আবার ছুড়ে ফেলে দিলুম। মনতো চাইছে আবার ওদিকেই একটু ঢু মেরে দেখি। গোপনে একটা কথা ঠায় জানিয়ে রাখি- আমি ওপার বাংলার ক্রিকেটকর্ত্তা হলে কিন্তু এখন সোরার এমরান, সালুদ্দিন, আর উলিয়াম- এদের দিকে কড়া চোখ রাখতুম। পেটে ক্ষুধো নিয়ে ছুঁচো ঘুড়ে বেড়াচ্চে, এখন কিন্তু সে শুকনো শাক-ভাত পেলেও সেদিকে হাত বাড়িয়ে কেড়ে নিতে চাইবে![/বাংলা]

Report Quote Source: Cricinfo (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/297710.html)

Slysaint
June 11, 2007, 05:48 PM
If BCCI is willing to pay him $1 million a year, he may leave his ESPN job. But of course,they wouldn't.

Without the Pakistani cricket team and the BCCI, the world cricket wouldn't be half as exciting :)

I believe you forgot to add, near bankruptcy:-p

Sohel
June 11, 2007, 06:02 PM

[বাংলা]আজ্ঞে দাদা, আমরা তো ভেবেচিলুম কাড়ি কাড়ি টাকা দোবো আর ফোর্ড ব্যাটা সোজা আমাদের আপিসে এসে দাঁড়িয়ে যাবে। এতো টাকা মাইনে দোবো জেনেও ও ব্যাটা আমাদের ঠায় না করে দিলো? এমন কান্ড ভারতবর্ষে আগে কেউ দেকেচে না শুনেচে। [/বাংলা]

[বাংলা]মাস গেলে মাইনে পাবি আর দুবেলা দূটো খেতে পত্তে দোবো- ব্যাস মন লাগিয়ে কাজ করে যাবি। তা তুই সাথে কাজ করার জন্যে নগেন-কে পেলি নাকি খগেন-কে পেলি, তা নিয়ে তোর এতো মাথা খাটাবার কি তাড়া পড়লো? এসব সাহায্য কর্মীর দেখভাল করবো আমরা, সব খরচ জোগাব আমরা, আর তিনি কোত্থেকে ঊড়ে এসে বাবুগিরী করবেন—শোন নাগড়ের বায়না। মরি মরি।[/বাংলা]

[বাংলা]এএ এক বড় ফ্যাকড়ায় পড়েচি বৈকি। কোন একটা বিদেশী ধরে এনে দু-তিন মাস ঠেকা কাজ চালিয়ে এযাত্রা রক্ষে পেলে হয়। আগেতো ওপার বাংলায় মুখ বাড়িয়েছিলুম- হোয়াটমোরকে কাছে ডেকে আবার ছুড়ে ফেলে দিলুম। মনতো চাইছে আবার ওদিকেই একটু ঢু মেরে দেখি। গোপনে একটা কথা ঠায় জানিয়ে রাখি- আমি ওপার বাংলার ক্রিকেটকর্ত্তা হলে কিন্তু এখন সোরার এমরান, সালুদ্দিন, আর উলিয়াম- এদের দিকে কড়া চোখ রাখতুম। পেটে ক্ষুধো নিয়ে ছুঁচো ঘুড়ে বেড়াচ্চে, এখন কিন্তু সে শুকনো শাক-ভাত পেলেও সেদিকে হাত বাড়িয়ে কেড়ে নিতে চাইবে![/বাংলা]

Report Quote Source: Cricinfo (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/297710.html)

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... the ghoti vernacular ... i can SEE dada speaking ...

MohammedC
June 11, 2007, 06:11 PM
So where do they go now. Whatmore...I dont think he will take any offer from them since the way they have treated him. i dont think any foreign coach will take the indian job in next 1 year or so or probably never

criccric
June 11, 2007, 06:43 PM
For the betterment of Indian cricket, which unfortunately must coincide with downfall of BCCI and their powerful political honchos, it is important that these incidents happened. As if World Cup debacle was not enough, the endorsement drama was unfolded. And when that was not enough, the sorry coach saga was unveiled in front of the whole world. With the selfish interest that more Tendulkars, Azhars and Dhonis are discovered for the entertainment of cricket lovers world over I hope the team team is rebuilt sans the Pawars, Shahs and Shettys that have hijacked cricket.

Maybe this coach fiasco will drive the nail a little further. Maybe, just maybe, with each hit on the nail, Indian cricket will start breathing again after being strangled for the last few years. Or maybe not.

Electrequiem
June 11, 2007, 07:05 PM
BCCI is in a spot of bother now ... who is left to go after, as some are speculating that Emburey has denied the post also?

CTazim
June 11, 2007, 07:09 PM
Bummer!!! this is something which i was fearing because ford always had that kent contract to break.also i heard his wife is suffering from cancer and his son is sick too,so probably its a personal family decision by ford and its a right decision too. Its importatnt for him to stay close to his family in troubled times. on the hindsight, although he has one of the best coaching credentials but he would not have served the purpose of a national coach with all those family worries. so good for india and good ford. lets c whats bcci next move is.nice to c bd fans getting so excited abt ford's rejection considering they did nt have many in the past few weeks ;)

Actually there are several other factors..

BCCI would not give Ford the control that is necessary as a head coach to run the show - like selecting his own staff.

Also, just a 1 year contract was not lucrative enough given his personal situation.

Finally, some one is right to point out that we should not rejoice as it may happen to any of the nation. However, India needed to show a bit of good will when bringing the Whatmore situation up. We are just rejoicing on the self-belief that poetic justice still happens.

I wish India success in finding the suitable coach but I also want India to cut the bull crap of entertaining such thought that is devoid of any goodwill towards a host country in the middle of a series. The sooner India learns about goodwill the better it will have relationship with all its neighbors.

syzygy
June 11, 2007, 08:40 PM
I agree with you Azim about the other reasons why Ford might have opt out. However the real problem with any new coach(foreign) will be that this is at best what BCCI could offer and they have to either accept it or turn away like Ford.

The reason is simple. In the Chappel era, he brought his own support stuffs like Ian Frazer who created more problems for the players than anything else. Thats why BCCI wont encourage coach's choice of support staff.

Also as Chappell had a 2 year contract and BCCI could not sack him or deny contract extension before that termm they want to give the new coach a 1 year contract with provision of 2 yr extension. BCCI has only learnt from their previous mistakes and its the best they can offer now and I can understand their apprehensions and I support them reg those decsions.

If the new coach dont agree to those terms no point in going back to chappell era where the coach was given a lot of free hand.On the other hand if he performs he will be rewarded. If performance based incentives be applied for players why not for coaches too?

The fact is India dont really need a coach - Sourav, Sachin, Dravid and Kumble have better cricketing knowledge than any of these so called coaches and all they need is a motivator or manager (like Shastri) who can encourage the boys to get the best out of them.

I would partly blame Ford too for showing a little bit of unprofessionalism. If family matters are so imp. he should not have come to India for the interview in the first place. His sudden u turn after reaching kent shows lack of courage to handle pressure that exists with Indian cricket, so the question is did he chickened out fearing pressure?

Lastly its a bummer for BCCI and they should too handle such matters with more professionalism in the future.

oracle
June 11, 2007, 09:01 PM
Hey, I am happy with the outcome whenever BCCI gets a whack. But we need to see all this with BD in mind. I think many prospective coaches will see Dav's tenure and compare to the fate of Chappel and woolmer- they will realizewhich job involves the least hassle.

Mahir
June 11, 2007, 10:34 PM
Ian Chappell takes a dig at those who've supposedly become obsessed with the coach :

India should stop obsessing over the identity of the new coach. If he can assist Dravid build team spirit and player satisfaction then he will have done about all he can as a coach; the miracles will need to come from proud players who are inspired by their captain.
Read More >> (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/extracover/content/current/story/297365.html)

gatekeeper
June 11, 2007, 11:21 PM
The fact is India dont really need a coach - Sourav, Sachin, Dravid and Kumble have better cricketing knowledge than any of these so called coaches and all they need is a motivator or manager (like Shastri) who can encourage the boys to get the best out of them.

I totally agree with you. I've said this a few time in this forum. What India need is not a coach but a manager and a motivator.

psj
June 11, 2007, 11:34 PM
June 12 should be declared a National Holiday in Bangladesh given the utmost joy ppl have found in Ford turning down the BCCI offer.

Tintin
June 11, 2007, 11:48 PM
June 12 should be declared a National Holiday in Bangladesh given the utmost joy ppl have found in Ford turning down the BCCI offer.

Come on, psj. Stop pretending that you are sorry to see BCCI get embarassed :)

Kabir
June 12, 2007, 12:01 AM

How about a National Mourning Day for India? They failed to buy the coach for a million bucks? Damn.

Well, didn't want to post this. But I was compelled to.

BD-Shardul
June 12, 2007, 12:22 AM
A very very sweet K1ck on the @$$es of Indian Cricket pundits, especially sir Gavashker by Ford. Kudos to Mr. Ford.

Yahooo......Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....... .........Yahoo.... Brap Brap :joy::-p :lol:

Trigger_Tiger
June 12, 2007, 12:28 AM
Good riddance for cricket and good for Ford!

syzygy
June 12, 2007, 12:29 AM
A very very sweet K1ck on the @$$es of Indian Cricket pundits, especially sir Gavashker.

Yahooo......Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....... .........Yahoo.... Brap Brap

haha, relax mate, u seem to be more happy than the kent chief, now dont fall down from ur bed esp as Sir Gavashker wont be there to catch u if u get injured. cheers!

BD-Shardul
June 12, 2007, 01:19 AM

Well it may happen, but people would not laugh at us because.... Amra to ar bharotiyo cricket punditder moto natok kori na..bhab dekhai na...7th ranked team hoyeo jara nijeder takar jore mone kore Australia....emon takar mukhei chai diechen Ford..to hashbo na ki kadbo naki....

Ganguly da
June 12, 2007, 02:39 AM
A very very sweet K1ck on the @$$es of Indian Cricket pundits, especially sir Gavashker by Ford. Kudos to Mr. Ford.

Yahooo......Yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....... .........Yahoo.... Brap Brap :joy::-p :lol:

i was thinking, if you're this much excited in seeing India's failure to get a coach, what will happen to you if similar thing happens with BCB? extreme excitement ---> extreme sorrow? depression? emotional injury? make sure you have dettol & nivea to help you heal....

Ganguly da
June 12, 2007, 02:44 AM
Well it may happen, but people would not laugh at us because.... Amra to ar bharotiyo cricket punditder moto natok kori na..bhab dekhai na...7th ranked team hoyeo jara nijeder takar jore mone kore Australia....emon takar mukhei chai diechen Ford..to hashbo na ki kadbo naki....

Also sorry to burst your bubble, India is currently ranked 6th in ODI, and 4th in Test...ciao

If ford had to decline money, he wouldn't have made the trip all the way to India, he chickened out at the last minute...and thought he's better dealing with small time Kent county.

you think, if BCB had as much money and power as BCCI , same natok hoto na?

Trigger_Tiger
June 12, 2007, 04:04 AM

Get your information right to save you the blushes next time bro :)!!!!!

Trigger_Tiger
June 12, 2007, 04:04 AM
Also sorry to burst your bubble, India is currently ranked 6th in ODI, and 4th in Test...ciao

If ford had to decline money, he wouldn't have made the trip all the way to India, he chickened out at the last minute...and thought he's better dealing with small time Kent county.

you think, if BCB had as much money and power as BCCI , same natok hoto na?

If BCB had the same money and power, "same natok" moteo hoto naa, because half the money would have been pocketed by the then-corrupt governing body consisting of politicians (not that we already didn't have corrupt politicians in the BCB before :-p)!

If to you logical thinking is chickening out, then I don't know what else to say.
Anyone in the right frame of mind would refuse to coach India given that they offer you the job, accept you and then ask you to go and deal with ending Kent's contract instead of the BCCI buying it out for him. When a board has so much money, it is only unacceptable to hear such a thing from them.

How do I know this? Because his contract with Kent has not yet expired and India wanted him for the Ireland and England tours – That says a lot!

Ford doesn't need India.....India needs him.

Remember Duncan Fletcher? When ECB hired him but did not buy out his Glamorgan contract, went on tour to New Zealand with an interim coach and faced disaster?

Plus, what a shame it is to announce a coach even before the deal has been finalized.

So that gives anybody the right to mock BCCI and laugh at them as hard as possible because it was their sheer arrogance to have:

1. Turned down a world-class coach with a very good record and high credentials who was eager for the job after having met and discussed with him about it a couple of times.

2. Mocking their own local coaches by appointing a dummy coach whose credentials hold no weight whatsoever (sacked from Northamptonshire with one year of contract still remaining, and then not doing good at all as the coach of Middlesex).

3. By announcing a coach without finalizing the deal.

BCB hasn't been there yet. When and if they shall ever be there, others will laugh at them, not doubt about it, and we have to gulp it in.

That is how cricket is – Unpredictable. But it is a very sorry situation how the BCCI has become so very arrogant and predictable.

Money corrupts, but judging by the power the BCCI has and how they claim to be oh so superior, this was indeed a true farce!

WarWolf
June 12, 2007, 06:22 AM
Is it? Really? Oh no..

Rabz
June 12, 2007, 07:08 AM

Ja bolechen dada...

Sandwich
June 12, 2007, 07:36 PM
for those with long memories this isnt the first time ford has pulled this stunt, he did the same to sri lanka also, the long and the short of it was that it was just a ploy to give him a better position to negotiate pay conditions with kent, although had india actually made him a serious offer 2-3 y deal its possible he might have jumped at it.