PDA

View Full Version : More emphasis being given on Batting in pre-SL-tour practice

Ahmed_B
June 12, 2007, 10:22 AM
Interviews and reports from the TV channels have started to cover the BD Team's preperation phase before SL tour. And as admitted by the new Captain, Ashraful, and the coaches, more emphasis is being given on batting in the current practice. Sean Williams is having sessions with the players with video footages pointing the weaknesses of the players and all the players are being made to practice batting for atleast an hour everyday. They are practicing in either bowling machines or in net. And according to Ashraful, this batting practice has started to bring back the confidence in the Batsmen of the team. He also mentioned that he thinks it will be easier to maintain consistancy because the IND series ended with Test matches and the SL series is starting with the same.

I honestly hope they show a higher level of Batting depth this time in SL.

oracle
June 12, 2007, 10:34 AM
He also mentioned that he thinks it will be easier to maintain consistancy because the IND series ended with Test matches and the SL series is starting with the same.

Did he say that./:) Curious-What does consistency have to do with whether you are playing One day or test at the start of a series?

Well, at least we will really get to know him in the series. I hope he handles the pressure well.

cricman
June 12, 2007, 10:40 AM
Did he say that./:) Curious-What does consistency have to do with whether you are playing One day or test at the start of a series?

Well, at least we will really get to know him in the series. I hope he handles the pressure well.

Perhaps he meant getting used to Test Match conditions

Ahmed_B
June 12, 2007, 10:42 AM
I think he mentioned Batting consistancy indicating that it will be easier to adjust to the slower Test-style batting because they played 2 Test matches to end the immediate past series.

But as you said Oracle bhai... we will only know it when the game starts! So much of talking already! Lets see some actions and we can decide. :)

Beamer
June 12, 2007, 10:43 AM
SW seems to be more hands on going by the reports published in various dailies. Batting is the main problem and it's good to see that they have emphasised on it.

Tigers_eye
June 12, 2007, 11:54 AM
I think he mentioned Batting consistancy indicating that it will be easier to adjust to the slower Test-style batting because they played 2 Test matches to end the immediate past series.

What was it 41 ball 68?

lol, they need to do over few hours not just one. May be the rain is keeping them inside.

WarWolf
June 12, 2007, 12:20 PM
What was it 41 ball 68?

lol, they need to do over few hours not just one. May be the rain is keeping them inside.
If Ash can deliever 41 ball 68 every match i won't mind it.

Tigers_eye
June 12, 2007, 12:38 PM
I would mind.

He is the captain now and needs to set examples not encourage others to take unnecessary risky shots. facing 41 ball in 10 overs scoring 68 wouldn't take BD any where. If the top order follows the captain and sticks around 40 ball then the match would be over within two days. certainly you don't want that, do you? Or you expect the bowlers to face 40 balls also so that the match goes to the third day?

I hope you understand there is a difference between test and 20/20. test may be ugly to watch that is what real cricket is. Less entertainment value but real test of patience.

Fazal
June 12, 2007, 12:41 PM

I know... I know... and that's the 2nd part of Ash's problem. In test matches, not only he needs to control his own khasyesh (1st part of the problem) .... he needs to contol the Chahida of huge fan base who doesn't want any less than a boom-boom Ash even in TEST(2nd part of the problem).

Ahmed_B
June 12, 2007, 12:59 PM
Then you should also be happy about BD teams 270 run Test Innings in 42 overs or so. After all.. it will be entertaining no matter how short-lasting. :)

SS
June 12, 2007, 02:20 PM
My question is why they didn't emphasis 'Batting' problem all these years after they started playing test matches...
so many excuses and we fans also believed on them to play test cricket!!!!

WarWolf
June 12, 2007, 02:41 PM
Then you should also be happy about BD teams 270 run Test Innings in 42 overs or so. After all.. it will be entertaining no matter how short-lasting. :)

I think i made a mistake about it. Thanks for the correction Tiger_eye, Fazal and Ahmed_B bhai.

Tigers_eye
June 12, 2007, 02:58 PM
I think i made a mistake about it. Thanks for the correction Tiger_eye, Fazal and Ahmed_B bhai.
We all make mistakes no big deal. As we know, this is Ash's first stinct as a captain he will make mistakes. As long as he can keep it to a minimum we are all better for it. best of luck with the practice. Now they have to implement what they were practicing. Step 2. win session battles. then win the war.

Ahmed_B
June 12, 2007, 03:07 PM
Actually... I simply loved watching Ash's ecstatic 68 of 41. But I started feeling kinda dumb when I started thinking that THIS GUY is capable of getting a Test Double Ton and stay in the play for more than 300 deliveries (50 overs alone that is!)...felt pretty dumb that!

Tigers_eye
June 12, 2007, 03:27 PM
Ahmed_B,
when you got married you no longer had the privilage to whimsically get away from the house alone for a few days to anywhere. Ash just got married to BD team (captaincy). He has the most responsibility on his shoulders (I hope he know this) now. No longer can he swing at every ball in test. He is the father figure now for Tamim, Sakib, Zunaid and so many others. He has to stay over a session 1st, before he can ask SN, JO, RS, SH and many others to do the same for the team.

Rumz_01
June 12, 2007, 03:50 PM
Perhaps he meant getting used to Test Match conditions

just to say that ur signature is absolutely wicked!!!

n also wanted to ask others if they mind...if well theirs were also pirated...i must say there are some truly inspirational ones...and others tha are jus plain wicked!!!

Sohel
June 13, 2007, 03:28 AM
SW seems to be more hands on going by the reports published in various dailies. Batting is the main problem and it's good to see that they have emphasised on it.

yep, and so's Richie Mac BTW, even with the batting and fielding, despite being known as "primarily a bowling coach" bu some. i've had the good fortune of seeing them at work in person ...

Ahmed_B
June 19, 2007, 12:31 PM
Batting key to success - Ashraful
Cricinfo staff, June 15, 2007

As Bangladesh gear up to tour Sri Lanka, Mohammad Ashraful, their new captain, has pinpointed batting success as they key to a rewarding series. For the last week, preparations at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium through indoor and outdoor net sessions and on pitches in the middle have focused on the side's batting.

Ashraful, speaking after the final practice session before they leave, said he was confident his batsmen would break through. "Every member in this team has worked on their batting. We are starting with Test matches and I think that if we can succeed with the bat, we can go a long way in this tour.

"We have worked very hard over the last week and from my experience, I can tell you that the team look confident, going into this tough series."

Given that Bangladesh managed only two Test half-centuries and one in ODIs during their last tour to Sri Lanka, the emphasis is not surprising. "We worked on ball selection -- which to leave and which to play. I think the amount of time we have given in the middle or at indoors will be valuable once we get going in the Test matches. Wherever we have practised, we have put more importance on our batting," said Ashraful....

...Shaun Williams, coach of the side for the series after Dav Whatmore didn't extend his contract, was also happy with the preparations. "We are fortunate to have had such good practice sessions given the conditions. Tribute must go to the curators for giving us everything we needed. I think we haven't missed a single session during this camp, and it is remarkable in this weather.
Full Report from CI (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/slvbdesh/content/story/298058.html)

AsifTheManRahman
June 19, 2007, 03:07 PM
Given that Bangladesh managed only two Test half-centuries

three, not two. anyways, it's good to know that they have focussed so much on batting over the last couple of weeks. sri lanka's always been a sad place for us (apart from that famous debut century), so hopefully things will be different this time around.

One World
June 23, 2007, 08:56 AM
the practice match definitely shows the promise, now mahela and his fragile "who is in, who is not" team has to be keen. quoting the front page article that BD will be tough on the turf.

Pundit
June 23, 2007, 09:30 AM
I think with the emphasis on batting practice, the transition from one test series to another & Ashraful's determination, we have the stage set for the team to do as well as it can.

Some of our fans are a touch too much with criticism of almost everything. If I were a young batsman, sure I would want to emulate my captain, but at 20, and with a coach working so hands on with me, I suppose my own priorities would have to come first, and understood very very well.

Ashraful is not responsible for the batting failures of others, but more importantly, Ashraful's batting failure is not something I would want to cite as the reason for my own.

One additional thought, I would struggle to understand how the marriage analogy fits in here. People have kids. But I always have thought that the one thing which should be clear in every player's mind is his game objective. Whether you were incapable of playing in Lasith swing is secondary. Every team member needs to seriously up the tempo on his committment. And that has to come from within - with realization that he has a purpose, and that is why he is in the first XI.

That unfortunately is the key difference. Of all the "talent" they have, they get to play first and then learn. Whilst for the Aussies, its the other way round. So, the burden of focus becomes more so necessary.

Having said that, sure its better to not have a wreckless captain...for any number of reasons.

Sohel
June 23, 2007, 02:00 PM
I think with the emphasis on batting practice, the transition from one test series to another & Ashraful's determination, we have the stage set for the team to do as well as it can.

Some of our fans are a touch too much with criticism of almost everything. If I were a young batsman, sure I would want to emulate my captain, but at 20, and with a coach working so hands on with me, I suppose my own priorities would have to come first, and understood very very well.

Ashraful is not responsible for the batting failures of others, but more importantly, Ashraful's batting failure is not something I would want to cite as the reason for my own.

One additional thought, I would struggle to understand how the marriage analogy fits in here. People have kids. But I always have thought that the one thing which should be clear in every player's mind is his game objective. Whether you were incapable of playing in Lasith swing is secondary. Every team member needs to seriously up the tempo on his committment. And that has to come from within - with realization that he has a purpose, and that is why he is in the first XI.

That unfortunately is the key difference. Of all the "talent" they have, they get to play first and then learn. Whilst for the Aussies, its the other way round. So, the burden of focus becomes more so necessary.

Having said that, sure its better to not have a wreckless captain...for any number of reasons.

Good post. Couldn't agree more.

WarWolf
June 27, 2007, 12:14 PM
While taking preparation for Srilanka tour before flying to Sri Lanka we heard our captain and coach saying that they are specifically focusing on batting and each player used to pass atleast one hour each day at nets. It sounded some thing really unusal to me. Does it mean that they used to practice less time in the nets during prepartion of earlier tours?

To me while team is getting prepared for a test series, it is usual for them to spend a lot of time in the nets. If they give more focus on batting then the amount of time spending in the nets should be increased. Also that statement might have exposed that our players normally spends little time in batting practice. Tendulkar used to spend atleast 2/3 hours a day in the net practice and knocking the ball.

Any thoughts guys?

sadi
June 27, 2007, 12:19 PM
I guess you are right. No wonder they have very little patience in the middle.

Sillypoint
June 27, 2007, 12:25 PM
Yes, same thought occured to me too. They used to practice about half an hour only in the nets with lots of focus on fielding etc. I think that was tactical mistake by DW. We just need to practice batting more and more...more than an hour.

Zunaid
June 27, 2007, 12:25 PM
Even more reasons why McInnes' coaching style is what is needed. I point you to this old post of his circa 2005

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=92446#post92446

Sadz
June 27, 2007, 12:27 PM
Hmmm. weird. They should b at least going for an hour and a half of batting. 1 Preparation b4 a test isnt going 2 b much practice. Considering this we were ace 2day!

WarWolf
June 27, 2007, 12:29 PM
Even more reasons why McInnes' coaching style is what is needed. I point you to this old post of his circa 2005

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?p=92446#post92446
Thanks for the link.

Ahmed_B
June 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
Threads on similar topic merged.
-Mod