PDA

View Full Version : Make Shaun WIlliams the coach of Bangladesh

tanvir_nus
June 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
This guy is an absolute genious. He has so clearly identified the weaknesses of the bangladeshi team so fast and his work is just so amazing. I have just seen some clips of him analysing the sri lankan team and razib's bowling action. He was showing Razib the knee collapsing thing which i mentioned in my review of Shahadat's problem and not utilizing his pace. The way he was showing and comparing with a smooth run up of Brett lee on laptop and with statistics indoors to Rajib was just brilliant I must say.

Everyone knew in Bangladesh that Dav was the best motivator but then not the best technically, which we needed so badly with such a young team. With our technical faults we need a technically perfect coach like shaun to lead us the way. Ashraful agrees with me, and I am sure you will see a definite change in the batting of the Bangladesh team this time.

I am really really glad to see him as the coach and would like to improve our team like this more so in future. Hope everyone agrees with me.

cricman
June 12, 2007, 12:22 PM
If we perform better vs Sri Lanka, than I'm all for it, But if Rajib all of a sudden starts bowling 145K we should keep him as an observer/Adviser no matter what

gatekeeper
June 12, 2007, 12:22 PM
You need a combination of both, a techniqal guy as well as a motivator.

rubel_18
June 12, 2007, 12:23 PM
He sounds pretty good, then I hope he is the next coach.

Tigers_eye
June 12, 2007, 12:24 PM
Make a poll and i will vote for him.

cricket_dorshok
June 12, 2007, 12:33 PM
I also feel he will be very good technically. Let see SL tour.

metallian
June 12, 2007, 12:41 PM
is there any videos of him??can anyone post a link? i tried youtube and theres no vdos of shaun williams

Nafi
June 12, 2007, 12:42 PM
I would like to see those videos first, if not then I'lll see what he has done in the team for the SL tour.

ammark
June 12, 2007, 12:44 PM
It really wouldnt hurt to have him AND McInness doing coaching and game development in Bangladesh. I wouldnt want the local coaches, U-19 and BD 'A' teams to miss out on Shaun Williams.

Fazal
June 12, 2007, 12:46 PM
Good bad ... i don't know... but I have a feeling change from DW to SW as head coach will not cost us that much performance wise.

DW came at the right time. Two thing happedned before him:

a) We had two unqualified and unsuccessful coach before DW
b) New talented players are about to start flowing in national team

These two favourable elemnts made DW's contribution more like a myth than what is the reality. The reality is: he was a good coach. And so is SW...and there are whole lot in this world.

israr
June 12, 2007, 01:04 PM
Till the SL's tour gets over, no comments on him.

Ahmed_B
June 12, 2007, 01:06 PM
We fans are having too many of these "OMG! He is so Cool" feelings these days on too many occassions! For some reason we get impressed and surprised too easily... just as we get frustrared and freaked out too fast as well!

Shafin
June 12, 2007, 01:07 PM
We'll all know what he is capable of,after the SL tour,our media may not be as persuading as the indian one,but I'm sure we'll have some reports on his performance after the tour,and if he is successful,who knows,BCB might just stick with him.

Ehsan
June 12, 2007, 01:13 PM
We have not seen or followed his performance as a coach to judge him. BTW it does not take an Einstein to figure what BD team's weakness is (Batting). He may be technically sound I could agree that based on what I hear him doing with Sahadat.

As of now, I would personally like him to stay where he is. We need some one of his caliber to develop our upcoming players.

Rubu
June 12, 2007, 01:15 PM
How about Diego Cruciani (http://www.banglafootball.net/search/label/diego%20andres%20cruciani)?

Oops, forgot, he teaches football. Well, I had to propose a new name, right?

betaar
June 12, 2007, 02:09 PM
We fans are having too many of these "OMG! He is so Cool" feelings these days on too many occassions! For some reason we get impressed and surprised too easily... just as we get frustrared and freaked out too fast as well!

ditto.

MohammedC
June 12, 2007, 02:09 PM
better not to make any comment till the SL tour is over. But one thing for sure Shaun wants success may be he has an eye on the BD coaches job.

Slysaint
June 12, 2007, 02:41 PM
if such is the case who u suggest takes over from him, the position he is going to vacate? need i say that bangladesh is getting a steady stream of young players who would be better served with such technical skills? than those who are in team and either are too old to change or unwilling to change as it has been witnessed previously over and over again?

WarWolf
June 12, 2007, 02:43 PM
I think we need to wait and see. This is his first assignment as the coach for any nation team. Performance will talk about him.

SS
June 12, 2007, 03:01 PM
This is BD team and training BD players, which is very different than training other international test teams. Our batsmen have some unique 'personalities' and tend to stick with 'their' basics.

AsifTheManRahman
June 12, 2007, 03:07 PM

exactly.

anyways, tanvir_nus, you said you watched some clips? can you post the links here?

damalChele
June 12, 2007, 03:08 PM
jemon kormo temon fol..let's see if his/their hard work gets paid off. then we can judge.

tiger_2007
June 12, 2007, 03:32 PM
Please don't rush on your judgement. We are too emotional to judge someone so fast. I was angry when I heard a newscaster (stupid by all means) in NTV who had doubts on Dev and started praising Shaun (just like tanvir_nus did), citing how quickly he found technical fualit in Rajib's bowling etc. We, Bangladeshi, are really jumping into whatever wagon we see to express our views. Dev is a great coach and should not be questioned for what he has done for us. We should be greatful to him for making the team so dynamic as it stands now. Yes, he could have done better, but, again, he did what could have done with the available resources. We should move on and find the right person for the challenging job ahead. I would rather be patient to judge any coaches for BD team. Let's hope that Shaun does a desent job in SL and time will say about his futre.

Fortuner
June 12, 2007, 04:20 PM
i wldnt mind richrd or williams...all these aussie junior level coachs have got gr8 techinal knowledge n we need such coach for our young team

capslock
June 12, 2007, 04:41 PM

OMG, Ahmed that was such a cool observation! I'm very impressed!

Fazal
June 12, 2007, 04:45 PM
Khaisee... now the attention is shifted to Ahmed_B instead. OMG! Ahmed_B is soooo cooool ... !!!

AsifTheManRahman
June 12, 2007, 07:54 PM
Ahmed_B for head coach?

Protic
June 12, 2007, 08:58 PM
I'd rather wait for the SL tour to finish and then comment on Shaun Williams.
Ashraful is the new captain..he's in the air..he will like everyone around him..at this moment.

Electrequiem
June 12, 2007, 09:01 PM
So where can I see those videos of Shaun Williams and his grasshoppers? IMO, give it some time before jumping to conclusions like "Yeah SW 4 Coach!"

Tokyobreeze
June 12, 2007, 09:24 PM
No doubt SW is good.Come on, why otherwise on earth he is coaching our academy? But, for the national team, I personally still want McInnes.

I am sure, SL tour will be good to look at the stretegic decisions taken by the coach. I think it would improve a lot, as we have graduated from 'Over Conservative HaBa era'.

zia
June 12, 2007, 09:54 PM
His clips on the TV was encouraging. We lacked in the technical department and DW did not handle that properly. One clip is not enough to select the coach but at least it showed how SW will handle it. In that note he is impressive.

Nasif
June 13, 2007, 12:46 AM
All of his new fans who missed it, watch the news the report that got it all started. Coach in action :)
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=22092

Sohel
June 13, 2007, 02:19 AM
No doubt SW is good.Come on, why otherwise on earth he is coaching our academy? But, for the national team, I personally still want McInnes.

I am sure, SL tour will be good to look at the stretegic decisions taken by the coach. I think it would improve a lot, as we have graduated from 'Over Conservative HaBa era'.

couldn't have said it better myself.

ammark
June 13, 2007, 03:11 AM
Thanks Nasif Bhai for the video. Makes me feel I havent missed out. But I honestly think all the hullaballoo about Shawn Williams by ppl who watched this, before he's even taken the boys on tour, is really premature. If Shawn Williams is analysing video footage, and focusing on what our boys do best, he's not being very different from other coaches who use videos!

Secondly in cricketing career terms, he is going through just one moment by addressing the players' deficiencies of technique. After the tour is over, just one off season from International cricket and a lower intensity domestic structure will likely cause these boys to go back to their old selves with bad footwork, lack of temperament, inability to persevere session by session with patience, etc.

This is something Observer had mentioned 3 years ago.... The coach can only do so much. The rest is the fault of a very poor first-class domestic scene, and poor coaching/ lack of rectifying the basic faults of the players when they played U-13 and U-15 games. And because of this last reason Alone, Shawn Williams should stay as Nationwide Game Development Manager, possible BD 'A'/U-19 coach, and Coach of coaches! We need his services to groom the kids and improve the standard of our cricket infrastructure. Richard McInness could ideally look after the big boys. Otherwise, the only way for the team to not relapse into bad cricket is by persevering and training continuously like they're doing now, after the SL tour is done!

Sohel
June 13, 2007, 03:20 AM
Thanks Nasif Bhai for the video. Makes me feel I havent missed out. But I honestly think all the hullaballoo about Shawn Williams by ppl who watched this, before he's even taken the boys on tour, is really premature. If Shawn Williams is analysing video footage, and focusing on what our boys do best, he's not being very different from other coaches who use videos!

Secondly in cricketing career terms, he is going through just one moment by addressing the players' deficiencies of technique. After the tour is over, just one off season from International cricket and a lower intensity domestic structure will likely cause these boys to go back to their old selves with bad footwork, lack of temperament, inability to persevere session by session with patience, etc.

This is something Observer had mentioned 3 years ago.... The coach can only do so much. The rest is the fault of a very poor first-class domestic scene, and poor coaching/ lack of rectifying the basic fauls of the players when they played U-13 and U-15 games. And because of this last reason Alone, Shawn Williams should stay as Nationwide Game Development Manager, possible BD 'A'/U-19 coach, and Coach of coaches! We need his services to groom the kids and improve the standard of our cricket infrastructure. Richard McInness could ideally look after the big boys. Otherwise, the only way for the team to not relapse into bad cricket is by persevering and training continuously like they're doing now, after the SL tour is done!

another quality post.

tanvir_nus
June 13, 2007, 04:54 AM
I am disappointed with some of the comments made here. In my opinion we need a coach very badly, true, but we also need a very good coach badly and soon. In my opinion Mcinnes does fit the bail perfectly because he has indepth knowledge in video analysis or anything related to IT so he is very good technically. And the knowing our players, conditions and everything, so that emotional factor is always there. But he is not coming guys, be rest assured. He is happy where he is right now. Maybe in the future, so lets just look for a credible choice. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
This is the first time I have seen a real professional outlook in the way the team views the opponent. The team is going through each and every detail of the weaknesses of the Sri Lankan team. I have seen the Bangladesh cricket team for a long time, but I have never seen them doing this kind of in-depth analysis of the opponent team. True there is a video analyst in our management team but I don't think he is as competent as Shaun. They are not only looking at the way the Sri Lankan batsmen get out but also the way they score run. <o:p></o:p>
Ok, first things first, Shaun can be the best technically, but how do you bring in the motivation and the self belief an area mastered by our previous coach Dav. I strongly believe a strong headed positive assistant Bangladeshi coach can fill that role. I will want Bulbul in the long run but then I think BCB has done a tremendously brilliant job again bringing Sarwar Imran as the second coach. I heard him speaking, he never about the strong Sri Lankan team but instead was looking for victories and individual improvements.Well, I also believe that the language barrier is not much of a big deal or as it is said anyways, but that always works against us in some way. So, we do need a Bangladeshi coach telling us along with the head coach where we are going wrong some times. Foreign coaches don't really get us all the time hehe. <o:p></o:p>
I do salute Dav, but do remember, he was working with a talented bunch of cricket players emerging from the age groups who were used to winning against big names from an early age. He was a great motivator yes, but he couldn't correct the technical blunders in our batsmen, captain or even some bowlers. Which is why you see them re-doing the same mistake over and over again. <o:p></o:p>

Trigger_Tiger
June 13, 2007, 05:02 AM

This is something Observer had mentioned 3 years ago.... The coach can only do so much. The rest is the fault of a very poor first-class domestic scene, and poor coaching/ lack of rectifying the basic faults of the players when they played U-13 and U-15 games. And because of this last reason Alone, Shawn Williams should stay as Nationwide Game Development Manager, possible BD 'A'/U-19 coach, and Coach of coaches! We need his services to groom the kids and improve the standard of our cricket infrastructure. Richard McInness could ideally look after the big boys. Otherwise, the only way for the team to not relapse into bad cricket is by persevering and training continuously like they're doing now, after the SL tour is done!

I agree with Sohel_NR.....quality post :up:!!!!!

Antora
June 13, 2007, 05:16 AM
I think i shall comment on shaun williams once the sl tour iz ova!!!

Fazal
June 13, 2007, 10:22 AM
AsifTheManRahman (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/member.php?u=292) <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus -->http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/images/BanglaCricket/statusicon/user_offline.gif <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_480313", true); </SCRIPT>
Cricket Guru

How come ATMR is a goru (I mean Guru) and I am still a chagol?

Nasif
June 13, 2007, 10:34 AM
How come ATMR is a goru (I mean Guru) and I am still a chagol?

You aren't that far away from being a goru.

P.Warner
June 13, 2007, 01:03 PM
Gus Logie had proved himself to be a useful coach and a good motivator. Perhaps he should be considered as well?

Sohel
June 13, 2007, 01:05 PM
Gus Logie had proved himself to be a useful coach and a good motivator. Perhaps he should be considered as well?

that's actually a very good idea ...

BCB take notice.

Beamer
June 13, 2007, 01:09 PM
He was one of the best fielders of his generation.

Shafin
June 13, 2007, 01:22 PM
The name looks familiar,where did I hear it?

WarWolf
June 13, 2007, 01:38 PM
Ha ha. Ex west indian player.

Fahmid
June 13, 2007, 01:42 PM
Please don't rush on your judgement. We are too emotional to judge someone so fast. I was angry when I heard a newscaster (stupid by all means) in NTV who had doubts on Dev and started praising Shaun (just like tanvir_nus did), citing how quickly he found technical fualit in Rajib's bowling etc. We, Bangladeshi, are really jumping into whatever wagon we see to express our views. Dev is a great coach and should not be questioned for what he has done for us. We should be greatful to him for making the team so dynamic as it stands now. Yes, he could have done better, but, again, he did what could have done with the available resources. We should move on and find the right person for the challenging job ahead. I would rather be patient to judge any coaches for BD team. Let's hope that Shaun does a desent job in SL and time will say about his futre. Very true..Agree all the way

ammark
June 13, 2007, 04:16 PM
Gus Logie had proved himself to be a useful coach and a good motivator. Perhaps he should be considered as well?that's actually a very good idea ...

BCB take notice.

Or maybe we could have a good coach and useful motivator?

cricket_king
June 14, 2007, 02:15 AM
People are getting excited over nothing. Shaun Williams is simply using methods that any other coach would. As for his rating as a coach......we'll have to see after the Sri Lanka tour.

cricket_king
June 14, 2007, 02:18 AM

As Warwolf said, he is a former west indian player, as well as the bermuda coach.

Nocturnal
June 14, 2007, 02:23 AM
As Warwolf said, he is a former west indian player, as well as the bermuda coach.

and played for Abahani in one cricket season.......as far as I can remember. :)

mali007
June 14, 2007, 09:13 AM
SL tour is always a tough one. Even coach like Greg Chappel was humiliated with strong Indian team on his very 1st SL tour. So, we have to accept the OUTCOME of SL tour with REALITY. Do not jump to blame the new coach or the captain for any debacle unjustifyingly.

Fazal
June 14, 2007, 09:28 AM
We always like the reserve QB, the reserve player, the underdog, the assitant coach rather than the main QB/regular player/the head coach/etc. Its natural. SW will be in honeymoon period in SL series regardless of his apparant success/failure.

The real test will begin only if/when he is slected as Head Coach.

Sohel
June 14, 2007, 09:40 AM
We always like the reserve QB, the reserve player, the underdog, the assitant coach rather than the main QB/regular player/the head coach/etc. Its natural. SW will be in honeymoon period in SL series regardless of his apparant success/failure.

The real test will begin only if/when he is slected as Head Coach.

you have a point there. gary hogaboom comes to mind from the early 80s, when he was danny white's backup (that was the last time i seriously followed football) ... but then again, wasn't steve young joe montana's backup ?

shovon13
June 14, 2007, 07:48 PM
i'd be very happy to give shaun the coaching job of the national team. he's been in bangladesh for some time, knows how the system works, knows how to harness the eagerness of our young players. we dont need to go into a detailed search to find a national coach - its the players who carry the fortune of the team. our u-19 team will surely miss him though.

fhstar
June 15, 2007, 05:41 PM
I originally made the following comment in the "2007 Coach Hunt Thread":

I was wondering why not give Shaun Williams a chance to be our national team coach, say for the next one year. He is at present the BD National Development manager, and most of our young players have worked with him in the recent past. True, he doesn't have experience as a high-profile coach, but all coaches have to start somewhere. When John Wright, Dave Whatmore, Bob Woolmer started coaching national teams, they didn't have the experience of coaching a country before. Shaun seems really dedicated to help Bangladesh cricket in any capacity, so why not give him the chance to show what he is capable of?

http://thedailystar.net/2007/06/10/d70610040237.htm

FaridpurChicago
June 15, 2007, 06:32 PM

Bhai, no gus, no tree, no plant and even no west Indian. Remember, we gave nationality to G greenidge. I hope that passport expired.

FaridpurChicago
June 15, 2007, 06:35 PM
Yes, it is too/three early to comment on SW but it is not too late to say that DW had technical short comings. Gavasker recently mentioned that Bashar didn't receive sound backing from his coach to guide the team on the field. We passed the stage of motivation, we passed the stage of self believe. Now it is time to correct our technical problems.

Lets see, who can do that.

MohammedC
June 15, 2007, 07:32 PM
Shaun Williams never played first class cricket. This tour is the highest of anything he done in cricket.

Profile (http://content-www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/8422.html)

Nafis_BD
June 15, 2007, 08:17 PM
I don't get how some of the guys here are already jumping into the conclusion.......BD didn't even start the tour yet and already some people want SW as our permanent coach, We haven't won a single game under him and you guys wan't SW as our coach?We can't make this decision so hastily ... we need to see the outcomes first then and only then could we and BCB decide who would be appropriate to be our new coach.Someone already said that SL tour is really hard and this tour might not go well but it isn't cause of the coach and etc but that actually should help us on deciding wether he should be hired as our new coach, Why? Because this tour is gonna be a challenge to him and if we win and perform really well under him like a win win situation then we would know that he can be a good coach for us........we have to win against the big boys anyways so if we win against them then we could probably get a good idea of what his strategies are against them and if they are good or not and are those game winning startegies and etc.Also as someone said SW is good otherwise how would he be coaching us then? but Richar Mccines should still be our coach.I absolutely agree with him, and we need SW to take care of the U-19,A teams and etc and Richard Mccines to take care of the national team!!!

AsifTheManRahman
June 15, 2007, 08:27 PM
I don't get how some of the guys here are already jumping into the conclusion.......BD didn't even start the tour yet and already some people want SW as our permanent coach, We haven't won a single game under him and you guys wan't SW as our coach?We can't make this decision so hastily ... we need to see the outcomes first then and only then could we and BCB decide who would be appropriate to be our new coach.Someone already said that SL tour is really hard and this tour might not go well but it isn't cause of the coach and etc but that actually should help us on deciding wether he should be hired as our new coach, Why? Because this tour is gonna be a challenge to him and if we win and perform really well under him like a win win situation then we would know that he can be a good coach for us........we have to win against the big boys anyways so if we win against them then we could probably get a good idea of what his strategies are against them and if they are good or not and are those game winning startegies and etc.Also as someone said SW is good otherwise how would he be coaching us then? but Richar Mccines should still be our coach.I absolutely agree with him, and we need SW to take care of the U-19,A teams and etc and Richard Mccines to take care of the national team!!!

to add to that, coaching an international team requires vision, a good understanding of the game at this level, and a good knowledge of various scenarios and how to deal with them.

this tour will probably be an indication of whether shaun has all of that. a lot of the technical glitches should be fixed at an early age anyways, so being able to identify them alone is not something that will ensure success at the highest level.

btw, none of this is to take anything away from shaun - he's done an excellent job with the reserves and i have no doubt about his skills. calling for making him head coach, however, is a bit too much at this point.

Nafis_BD
June 15, 2007, 08:48 PM
to add to that, coaching an international team requires vision, a good understanding of the game at this level, and a good knowledge of various scenarios and how to deal with them.

this tour will probably be an indication of whether shaun has all of that. a lot of the technical glitches should be fixed at an early age anyways, so being able to identify them alone is not something that will ensure success at the highest level.

btw, none of this is to take anything away from shaun - he's done an excellent job with the reserves and i have no doubt about his skills. calling for making him head coach, however, is a bit too much at this point.

Absolutely right...........Making him head coach already or calling for him to be head coach already might be too much now because we haven't seen the outcomes yet!! SW is a great coach but our real question is,"Is he good enough to be our permanent coach?" and the answer is:We don't know yet we need to see if he has all that mentioned above and even more...we need to see how he does his coaching to make us win matches or play better and if that matches with the qualities mentioned above and even more then knock yourself out and vote for SW to be our permanent coach(Not literally) then if you guys chose him then I have no problem but now without even seeing the outcome pls don't chose him and have him as our only option because there are many other coaches who could do that as well and we need to give a chance to them as well(Richard Mccines as an example) again we are not taking away anything from SW or critizing his abilites and etc we just want the decision to be perfect if not 99.99 percent perfect which will benefit us alot and for that we need to be open minded and see what other coaches can do and cannot do and how that will benefit us!!!