PDA

View Full Version : India Squad for IRE-ENG tour...surprise!

Ganguly da
June 12, 2007, 11:37 PM
Virender Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh and Munaf Patel have been left out of India's Test and one-day teams for the tour of Ireland and England, starting later this month. Irfan Pathan also misses out, with inexperienced faces like Ishant Sharma and Ranadeb Bose bolstering a pace attack that will be spearheaded by Zaheer Khan and S Sreesanth.

Sachin Tendulkar, named Dravid's deputy for the series in England, and Sourav Ganguly have returned to the one-day side while retaining their spot in Tests, while Bose is the only new face in either squad. Gautam Gambhir also makes both teams, and will most likely be back-up to the current opening pair of Wasim Jaffer and Dinesh Karthik in the Tests.

Mahendra Singh Dhoni was picked as the one-day vice-captain, and the need for one-day revitalisation sees the inclusion of Mumbai's Rohit Sharma and Piyush Chawla, so impressive on the recent tour of Bangladesh.

With Ramesh Powar having acquitted himself well in the same series, there's no way back for Harbhajan Singh, while Munaf Patel's lack of fitness has gone against him. And despite the remedial work that he put in at the bowlers' camp in Mysore, Pathan too remains on the sidelines.

The big omission though is undoubtedly Sehwag, who had show signs of returning to form during the recently concluded Afro-Asia Cup. It was in England in 2002 that Sehwag was asked to move up the order and open, and the move paid rich dividends with scores of 84 at Lord's and 106 at Trent Bridge. For a man who was vice-captain at the start of the South Africa tour late last year, this is a huge setback.

Neither Bose nor Sharma is especially quick but Bose's ability to move the ball and Sharma's height have seen them surpass other pace contenders like VRV Singh. Sreesanth and Zaheer Khan won India a Test at the Wanderers last December but adequate back-up will be vital if India are to have any chance of becoming the first touring side to win in England since Australia in 2001.

The other Sharma, Rohit, who was rewarded for the 531 runs he racked up from eight matches at 48.27 in the previous domestic season, was delighted to hear of his call-up for the one-day side. "It is a dream of every cricketer to play for the country, and I am delighted that the chance has come to me," Sharma said. "I know the conditions in Ireland will not be like in India, where the ball might seam a lot. But I am prepared for the challenge as I believe I am in the best shape - mentally and physically - at this time. I am viewing this as the biggest challenge in my life,"

India's one-day squad (Ireland games) Gautam Gambhir, Robin Uthappa, Sourav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid (capt), Yuvraj Singh, Dinesh Karthik, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (vice-capt, wk), Rohit Sharma, Ramesh Powar, Ajit Agarkar, Piyush Chawla, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh, Sreesanth.

India's Test squad Wasim Jaffer, Dinesh Karthik, Gautam Gambhir, Rahul Dravid (capt), Sachin Tendulkar (vice-capt), Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), Ramesh Powar, Anil Kumble, Zaheer Khan, Sreesanth, RP Singh, Ishant Sharma, Ranadeb Bose.

source: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/engvind/content/current/story/297784.html

WOW I'm impressed in the selection!!! Finally some good pick!! RD BOSE from bengal makes it finally! and Ganguly makes both squad...and that overrated Bhajji, Sehwag and Munaf being dropped.

Kabir
June 13, 2007, 12:00 AM
I never liked Sehwag. Fully overrated. And Munaf Patel, the less, the better it is I guess :)

Isn't Ishant Sharma the guy who had to return back to India after injury during Bangladesh tour? Or am I confusing it with someone else? If I remember correctly, he's a Kolkata dada.

BTW, why am I not surprised Gangu da is happy with this selection? :)

Nocturnal
June 13, 2007, 12:20 AM
I never liked Sehwag. Fully overrated. And Munaf Patel, the less, the better it is I guess :)

Isn't Ishant Sharma the guy who had to return back to India after injury during Bangladesh tour? Or am I confusing it with someone else? If I remember correctly, he's a Kolkata dada.

That was opening batsman Manoj Tiwari from Bengal Kabir bhai.
I was surprised to see that VRV Singh left out for this series and I have a feeling that for last few years India is trying too many fast bowler, allmost every series had a new face, and it is not working at all.

Ganguly da
June 13, 2007, 12:21 AM

after the Coaching fiasco...this is somewhat better news. The guy who returned was Manoj tiwary, this is Ranadeb Bose, awesome bowler in the ranji circuit. Hope he makes a good debut.... I'm excited!

watch out England! Summer 2007 would be remembered as India's invasion of Eng. :-p

BD-Shardul
June 13, 2007, 12:34 AM
Irfan out of team....:( For that reason Indiar kopale onek dukhkho achey...

syzygy
June 13, 2007, 12:38 AM
yea ranadeb bose is an exciting prospect from bengal.i heard he bagged 57 wickets in 8 matches in ranji during 2006-07 season and i saw him playing for bengal during the mumbai-bengal ranji final.that guy bowls awesome outswingers and inswingers - an end to end swing bowler and english conditons will suit him more than anybody.the return of dada and tendlya after being rested for the bd series is also good news.

rohit sharma also made to odi squad and watch out for this kid fellows.manoj would have also made it but he is still recovering from shoulder injury and he would be back soon. i am not at all concerned abt bhajji and viru being left out but worried abt munaf's fitness. once india had a dearth of good bowlers, now so many young prospects are coming up. and dont forget abt piyush chawla, remember the delivery he foxed ashraful in the last odi. anyway i think they should go with zaheer, sreesanth, bose and kumble in test matches.the batting line should be pretty much the same with laxman coming back. we have a very good chance of winning both the test and odi series. my prediction 2-0 in test, 5-2 in odi.

Ganguly da
June 13, 2007, 12:45 AM
Irfan out of team....:( For that reason Indiar kopale onek dukhkho achey...

Irfan is out of form completely, I don't know what happen to him.... he was awesome in the pakistan tour and during Ganguly era... recently, even in Ranji trophy he managed to bag few tail-ender wickets by giving away so much.

Ganguly da
June 13, 2007, 12:48 AM
yea ranadeb bose is an exciting prospect from bengal.i heard he bagged 57 wickets in 8 matches in ranji during 2006-07 season and i saw him playing for bengal during the mumbai-bengal ranji final.that guy bowls awesome outswingers and inswingers - an end to end swing bowler and english conditons will suit him more than anybody.the return of dada and tendlya after being rested for the bd series is also good news.

rohit sharma also made to odi squad and watch out for this kid fellows.manoj would have also made it but he is still recovering from shoulder injury and he would be back soon. i am not at all concerned abt bhajji and viru being left out but worried abt munaf's fitness. once india had a dearth of good bowlers, now so many young prospects are coming up. and dont forget abt piyush chawla, remember the delivery he foxed ashraful in the last odi. anyway i think they should go with zaheer, sreesanth, bose and kumble in test matches.the batting line should be pretty much the same with laxman coming back. we have a very good chance of winning both the test and odi series. my prediction 2-0 in test, 5-2 in odi.

well said.... good to see the youngsters blending with the oldies.... ENG in test matches..can rely on sidebottom and panesar, that's it! we have powar, chawla, Kumble and others to rely.... we're either Winning or drawing the test matches for sure.

Huda
June 13, 2007, 01:35 AM

I dont think he is fullyoverrated, you dont average 50 odd in test and have a PB score of 300 for nothing or by fluke. Hes just a flat track bully bit similiar to MoYo, who both score runs heavily on flat, flaccid wickets.

gatekeeper
June 13, 2007, 01:39 AM
Irfan is out of form completely, I don't know what happen to him.... he was awesome in the pakistan tour and during Ganguly era... recently, even in Ranji trophy he managed to bag few tail-ender wickets by giving away so much.

What hapened is that the team management forgot his main role in the team and tried to make him a batsman, you can that Chappell for that, in the process reducing him into an ordinary bowler.

syzygy
June 13, 2007, 02:45 AM
What hapened is that the team management forgot his main role in the team and tried to make him a batsman, you can that Chappell for that, in the process reducing him into an ordinary bowler.

absolutely.it was chappell's decision to promote him up the order and in the process he forgot the art of swing bowling.now he is a similar version of sayed rasel without a swing.feel sorry for irfan but probably he should stick to domestic cricket bfr wearing the team india shirt. also there are so many other young and good fast bowlers coming up, he is gonna find it tough to come back.

syzygy
June 13, 2007, 02:51 AM
well said.... good to see the youngsters blending with the oldies.... ENG in test matches..can rely on sidebottom and panesar, that's it! we have powar, chawla, Kumble and others to rely.... we're either Winning or drawing the test matches for sure.

panesar would be bludgeoned and sidebottom would be decimated by dravid and co.they can mess around with the fragile windies batting line up but would be whacked around all over the park by team india.their only hope is freddie but he is no longer as lethal as he was before.

Sohel
June 13, 2007, 04:13 AM
bummer ... i was looking forward to watching manoj tiwary do his thang at the international arena. a debut against ireland would have been perfect for him as well as the pat'han bros ... veeru's exclusion from the ODI squad is somewhat surprising in light of his AA cup performances ... the "turbanator" is unlikely to get chances outside of indian venues ... kaif's continued exclusion's not beginning to surprise me anymore and VVS seems to be a lost cause (truly tragic).

great to have dada back in the ODI team as well ... looking forward to his, jaffer's, dravid's and kumble's artistry in tests. i'd be a treat to watch chawla's googlies in super slo-mo, and ODI fireworks from UV and MS will add to the fun.

with harmy back on song, monty using those third-day roughs as well as BSB used to, and KP just being KP - england will cream india in tests, despite great perforrmances from individual indians. the poms will also take the ODI trophies with more difficulty... india should focus on creaming ireland.

Antora
June 13, 2007, 05:27 AM
i dont know what to say about this... dhoni.. my most hated cricketer becomes vc?? gosh!!! anyway.. i guess india doesnt really need a good team for ireland...but for england im a bit concerned....i'll just have to wait and see what happens

Surfer
June 13, 2007, 06:42 AM
i dont know what to say about this... dhoni.. my most hated cricketer becomes vc?? gosh!!! anyway.. i guess india doesnt really need a good team for ireland...but for england im a bit concerned....i'll just have to wait and see what happens

Can I ask why Dhoni is so unfortunate be your most hated cricketer?

bd_fan_from_india
June 13, 2007, 09:02 AM
i cant understand y wasnt irfan pathans name even discussed in the selections. now that chappelization era is over, surely irfan must be given another chance to prove himself. also, nice to c the overrated sehwag & harbhajan dropped despite the fact that i used to be sehwags biggest fan till 2005.

great to c rohit sharma, ishant sharma & ranadeb boses name in there. i do feel that shikhar dhawan & vijay yomahesh should also be given a chance soon. however a big name missing from the test squad is piyush chawla who sahould have been there in the tests.

and :mad: to c tendulkar and ganguly return in odis. v have to move forward in odis, not backward. tendulkar & ganguly selection in odis is a big step in the backward direction.

sheikh
June 13, 2007, 09:16 AM
Good selection. Once Ganguly has made his come back (!),there was only one position left. Gambhir deserved the place over Sehwag. And the selectors can not destroy the confidence of Uththapa (GOD help me with the spelling), because he is so good with his technique and super performer in the age group, List A and domestic circuit.
I have seen one or two games of BOSE on TV. He looked good. Overall the selection is good this time.

Bengaliprince176
June 13, 2007, 09:57 AM
YES!!!!! 2 BONGS IN THE TEAM!!!! I like this team, maybe coz i completely biased, lol. good to see dada in both teams. cnt get rid of him.....

hope pathan can get his groove back, he was a good player maybe he can b back by the australia tour

Electrequiem
June 13, 2007, 10:49 AM
heh, sehwag's exclusion is hardly a surprise. But it was good to his shots during the Afro-Asian cup.

Nafi
June 13, 2007, 11:18 AM
Panesar shouldnt give india top order any problems.

And harmsion and sidebottom are nothing without their bounce, they come across as clumsy bowlers, all india has to do is look to hit the bad balls and never go for the bouncers. Though sidebottom does break this trend...sometimes.

GothamCity
June 13, 2007, 01:17 PM
I don't know man.. half of the team is still remnant of the poor world cup performance... old horses, or old farts, we shall soon see.. I thought Sehwag should have been kept at least for the tests. My pick of all batsmen at least from recent performances in Bangladesh would be DINESH KARTHIK.. seemed extremely sound and excellent fielding despite being a wicket Keeper. Dhoni has the highest average of all Indian Batsmen doesn't he ?

Sohel
June 13, 2007, 01:36 PM
here's the cricinfo page on ranadeb bose : -

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/27572.html

any other details ? opinions ? accounts ? BTW, where is ashish nehra these days ?

indfan82
June 13, 2007, 01:50 PM
here's the cricinfo page on ranadeb bose : -

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/27572.html

any other details ? opinions ? accounts ? BTW, where is ashish nehra these days ?

Ashish nehra is injured a while back was on crutches pretty serious ankle injury or somthing not sure .....
they will surely miss him in england

Ganguly da
June 13, 2007, 10:30 PM
Ashish nehra is injured a while back was on crutches pretty serious ankle injury or somthing not sure .....
they will surely miss him in england

nehra got over his injury....he's playing in domestic circuit.....I wanted to see Balaji

Huda
June 14, 2007, 01:34 AM
Panesar shouldnt give india top order any problems.

And harmsion and sidebottom are nothing without their bounce, they come across as clumsy bowlers, all india has to do is look to hit the bad balls and never go for the bouncers. Though sidebottom does break this trend...sometimes.

I guess you havent seen Sidebottom bowl, he relies on swing, line and length without them he is useless. Harmy relies on bounce and pace from the pitch but hes been off colour recently. Hoggard will make mince meat out of the indian batsmen with his swing, they cannot play the swinging ball much better than us.

james007
June 14, 2007, 02:37 AM
This lad has some Impressive records too
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/player/28758.html

Tigers_eye
June 14, 2007, 09:28 AM
I dont think he is fullyoverrated, you dont average 50 odd in test and have a PB score of 300 for nothing or by fluke. Hes just a flat track bully bit similiar to MoYo, who both score runs heavily on flat, flaccid wickets.
Do you know how many runs he scored against England last year? How many runs did he score last year all together? Nice talking Cricket with you.

On the selection process, I didnot understand out of form shewag's inclusion in the WC. And I certainly don't understand an inform shewag's exclusion for the England tour where experience counts some.

Huda
June 15, 2007, 03:28 AM
Do you know how many runs he scored against England last year? How many runs did he score last year all together? Nice talking Cricket with you.

On the selection process, I didnot understand out of form shewag's inclusion in the WC. And I certainly don't understand an inform shewag's exclusion for the England tour where experience counts some.

Have you seen his career stats in SA, NZ and Australia? I didnt think you did, last season was the only season he has performed on seaming tracks.

Average against Australia away= 33.
Average against South Africa away=26

Last year he made massive progress as you say and credit to him where has averaged 60+ in new zealand and england. But if you compare sehwags stats they are very much similiar to MoYo's. Averages exactly same in South Africa, 58 against Australia at Australia and 40 against England away.
Both similiar players, battering attacks on flat tracks, getting intro trouble seaming tracks.

Nice to talk cricket with you also.

WarWolf
June 15, 2007, 05:14 AM
Most pathetic thing to see is RP Singh out of the team. This boy is an exciting talent and is in good form.

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 05:17 AM
Most pathetic thing to see is RP Singh out of the team. This boy is an exciting talent and is in good form.

he's in the team bro : -

India's one-day squad (Ireland games) Gautam Gambhir, Robin Uthappa, Sourav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid (capt), Yuvraj Singh, Dinesh Karthik, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (vice-capt, wk), Rohit Sharma, Ramesh Powar, Ajit Agarkar, Piyush Chawla, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh, Sreesanth.

India's Test squad Wasim Jaffer, Dinesh Karthik, Gautam Gambhir, Rahul Dravid (capt), Sachin Tendulkar (vice-capt), Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), Ramesh Powar, Anil Kumble, Zaheer Khan, Sreesanth, RP Singh, Ishant Sharma, Ranadeb Bose.

perchance you aren't talking about VRV Singh are you ? i don't think he's that talented at all, but then again neither is Ishant "bogla" Sharma. i guess can't do much more with Nehra and Irfan not in form ...

ellawilson
June 15, 2007, 06:46 AM
The recent tour of India to Ireland is the hard task for India. After the world cup India will face the powerful team . The recent ended Bangladesh tour is not big factor but the recent tour the opponent teams are South Africa and England. If India fails to showing good performance ,the result will be harmful. The chief selector Venksarkar warned the fitness problem is the main factor for India , that's why Zaheer ruled out for tour. wait , the strength of our player comes out very soon.:floor:

s

sadi
June 15, 2007, 01:20 PM
England tour will be much tougher than what people think. India hardly play well outside India and in England, they will struggle against England's quality seam attack. I am not sure if Flintoff will come back by India tour but even without him, they have a good balanced bowling attack in Harmison, Hoggard and Sidebottom. The main problem for India is they have a makeshift opener in Karthik who is more likely to struggle in England and Wasim Jaffer's footwork against moving balls are not much better either. Middle order looks solid as always but if I had to pick a winner in a test series, I would go with England. India should win the odi series though.

WarWolf
June 15, 2007, 01:57 PM
he's in the team bro : -

Thanks for the correction brother. I guess i need glasses. Poor eyes!

Ganguly da
June 15, 2007, 04:50 PM
Let's not forget, India is playing in Eng in the 2nd half of english summer......which is much diff than 1st half.

also found this video interview on cnn-ibn of RD BOSE

http://www.cricketnext.com/videos/25531/ranadeb-elated-by-india-call.html

One World
June 15, 2007, 08:25 PM
England tour will be much tougher than what people think. India hardly play well outside India and in England, they will struggle against England's quality seam attack. I am not sure if Flintoff will come back by India tour but even without him, they have a good balanced bowling attack in Harmison, Hoggard and Sidebottom. The main problem for India is they have a makeshift opener in Karthik who is more likely to struggle in England and Wasim Jaffer's footwork against moving balls are not much better either. Middle order looks solid as always but if I had to pick a winner in a test series, I would go with England. India should win the odi series though.

Amazing observation. Nicely put. I was going to say that few Indian batsman will be able to acclimatize to the condition and if not Ireland may pull a surprise. But its good to see Ganguly coming back as he would be one of the best batsmen in the tour.

rubel_18
June 16, 2007, 04:54 AM
Let's not forget, India is playing in Eng in the 2nd half of english summer......which is much diff than 1st half.

also found this video interview on cnn-ibn of RD BOSE

http://www.cricketnext.com/videos/25531/ranadeb-elated-by-india-call.html

Another Bengali man in da Indian Team hope he does well and swings the English team out

sar2005
June 16, 2007, 06:03 AM
This is ineed surprising to not to see Sehwag. I think he is one of the best timer of the cricket ball in the whole world. But obviously, he is kind of off form right now. Hope he will return with some decent domestic performance. For those who has doubt on his ability, his test average is 49.46 with a highest score of 309.

Sohel
June 16, 2007, 07:02 AM
here's a pathetic bit of news: -

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/btw/archives/2007/06/ireland_announc.php?r=global

excerpt: -

"Ireland have announced a severely depleted 13-man squad for their one-dayers against India and South Africa due to get under way on June 23.

Though it is a wonderful opportunity to showcase Ireland's talent, several of their star players are missing through injury. Andre Botha, Dave Langford-Smith and, most disappointingly of all, Boyd Rankin have all failed to recover from their respective injuries in time, though it is expected they will be fit in time for the quadrangular series in July."

rubel_18
June 16, 2007, 07:07 AM
That will make it even more easier for India.:lol: :lol:

One World
June 23, 2007, 09:33 AM
Now Ireland was able to pitch in 193 without two of their star players. Although Chawla and Agarkar were very impressive, playing extra bowlers will cost Ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar to play sensible all along the tour as I do not think Gambhir, Karthik or Jaffer would be able to do something special.

nzfan
June 24, 2007, 02:17 AM
It didnt really matter if India left these players out they have a cricketing population to draw from that anyone else would be envious of

syzygy
June 24, 2007, 02:55 AM
Now Ireland was able to pitch in 193 without two of their star players. Although Chawla and Agarkar were very impressive, playing extra bowlers will cost Ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar to play sensible all along the tour as I do not think Gambhir, Karthik or Jaffer would be able to do something special.

not true. gambhir already played a special innings 2day...watch out for specials from yuvi, dhoni and laxman in this tour apart from dada, tendlya and dravid,even karthick will be very handy

One World
June 24, 2007, 06:44 PM
VD Philander 5.5 1 12 4 2.05

Now thats what we call bowling like a senior time.