PDA

View Full Version : NCL Gets a Boost: the Start of Something Good, Finally !

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 03:14 AM
Excerpt-

"Among the agendas, sprucing domestic cricket was on top of all discussions. It was decided that Tk 10,000 would be provided to each player for playing a four-day match and Tk 5,000 for the limited-over match in the National Cricket League, informed BCB general secretary Mahbub Anam.

All the divisional teams will be provided with coach, physio and trainer and each side will get at least three weeks of preparation time. The facilities would be high standard added the general secretary.

Around Tk 20 lakh would be the total prize money with the champions expected to get half of it."

The NCL finally gets the shine it deserves. State of the art facilities and professional coaching staff will start to imrove the quality of NCL matches over time. All they have to do now is reformat the tournament into a longer lasting one, played on a variety of sporting pitches.

IMHO, a best of 5 series for First Class matches, as opposed to the current "home and away" 2-match version, and a best of 7 List-A matches for each one of the 6 teams, as opposed to the current single match version, will finally give our players enough time in the middle to learn to harness their talent and deliver better performances at the international level. An NCL team of MLB-style trained talent scounts - i'm NOT talking about "talent hunt" or other media events here - looking for talent nationwide, will create a good pool of players for the 6 teams, and help them field a number of age-based junior teams and develop players in the pipeline.

If "club cricket" falls by the wayside because of all this, I say so be it. We want the Tigers to win more than anything else, and it is the NCL, not PLC that can take them there.

Here's the DS report: -

http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/06/15/d70615040635.htm

Nocturnal
June 15, 2007, 03:36 AM
Great news.

Rabz
June 15, 2007, 04:53 AM
Great news indeed.
Now that money is being thrown...
let see how it all fairs up.

Sovik
June 15, 2007, 04:53 AM
thats great.

israr
June 15, 2007, 05:20 AM
Very good, cricket is a passion for Bangladesh, and now that more money has been introduced, the hesitation of being a full-time cricketer won't pull back those diffident talents we have in our country, who were sceptical about their future being a professional cricketer.

sheikh
June 15, 2007, 05:56 AM
I just wonder, why should we continue to play with 6 divisional teams only? It should not be mandatory to keep the no of teams equal to the no of divisions. For Cricket, we can have some other divisions like Comilla out of Chittagong, Mymensing out of Dhaka and Rangpur out of Rajshahi.
Dont we have more than 70-80 good enough players to play FC matches?
Why can not we play more teams like the soccer B-league? Abahani, mohamedan, Sonargoan, Biman etc. for the NCL?
I feel that there should be a gradual process to increase the no of team.

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 06:15 AM
I just wonder, why should we continue to play with 6 divisional teams only? It should not be mandatory to keep the no of teams equal to the no of divisions. For Cricket, we can have some other divisions like Comilla out of Chittagong, Mymensing out of Dhaka and Rangpur out of Rajshahi.
Dont we have more than 70-80 good enough players to play FC matches?
What can not we play more teams like the soccer B-league? Abahani, mohamedan, Sonargoan, Biman etc. for the NCL?
I feel that there should be a gradual process to increase the no of team.

we only have 6 divisions dude, and please consider the infrastructure and cost issues.

sheikh
June 15, 2007, 07:31 AM
we only have 6 divisions dude, and please consider the infrastructure and cost issues.

Yes 6 divisions. For cricket, we could have more. Like the railways or many other government offices or may be like the insurance companies or the telecom companies...they divide the regions of their own. We could divide the country in several more sections depending on the current infrastructure and facilities available.
If it is about facilities, I am not telling to go to 12 teams from six with a huge jump. Now that we have 6, lets prepare for the seventh. Mymensingh district stadium or Comilla stadium or Bbaria stadium can be easily transformed into FC standard.
I remember in some other thread you were saying...
first of all, we need sporting wickets to develop seamers.
If you need sporting wicket, infrastructure...u need to spend for this. Is BCB poor?

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 07:41 AM
sheikh: i agree with you for the most part. BCB is not poor but IMHO the existing funds are better spent on the 6 teams with more money playing more cricket rather than 12 teams with less money playing less. richer teams playing a best of 5 series for First Class matches, as opposed to the current "home and away" 2-match version, and a best of 7 List-A matches for each one of the 6 teams, as opposed to the current single match version, will finally give our players enough time in the middle to learn to harness their talent and deliver better performances at the international level. less teams offer less places for more players to compete for. that can and will make the league more elite, and eventually translate into better quality players if selection standards are professional, transparent and reasonable. more teams tend to dilute the talent.

also, don't want to make cricket dhaka-centric anymore as cricket has escaped the grasp of the english-medium urban elite and most of our young talent have begun to hail from outside dhaka.

here's an excerpt from my blog (http://snr1967.blogspot.com/2007/05/6-cricket-next-level-laymans-eventual.html): -

"A Professional League of Our Own

The long awaited development of a better cricket infrastructure, culminating in well-compensated, well-marketed, and well-merchandized professional teams, can only enhance the quality of our domestic cricket and strengthen the overall selection process. Following the Australian, South African, English and to a lesser extent, the Sri Lankan examples, coupled with the best practices from successful professional leagues from other sports around the world, such as the English Premier League in the United Kingdom and the Major League Baseball in the United States, the BCB can set up six such professional teams, one in each divisional capital and start the processes without further ado. The teams will play both versions of the game, on a variety of sporting wickets, in separate 4-day and limited over leagues throughout the year. Each one of the six teams will have: 1) a nationwide, extensive network of trained talent scouts; 2) state of the art training facilities managed by qualified Australian coaches and physios mentoring locals with the right aptitude; and most importantly, 3) several age-based junior sides such as U-15, U-17, U-19, U-23 and A sides. Such a league will add real value our existing cricket infrastructure, accelerate the meaningful growth of cricket and cricket culture in Bangladesh, and begin to meet our more realistic expectations without selling ourselves short as cricketers and cricket fans. The unrivaled popular passion for cricket will pretty much guarantee the easy availability of corporate sponsors to cover any financial shortfalls. A separate cable TV channel, dedicating itself to the sustainable development of cricket in Bangladesh should be set up by BCB and its strategic allies as an integral part of the league to broadcast all games, and cricket-education programs from all over the cricket world. Moreover, nobody should be surprised if such an investment starts to pay faster and better dividends for all involved with cricket in Bangladesh, least of all to most of the 150 million Bangladeshis for whom the sight of quality cricketers competing to qualify for our iconic national team, a team that has come to represent more than what it simply is, will add much needed spice to the otherwise work-laden lives without much else to do. In due time, the league could qualify for an IPO and be traded in the Dhaka and Chittagong stock exchanges as a publicly held company."

sadi
June 15, 2007, 07:54 AM
6 divisional team is good enough if they are handled properly. Having only 6 teams in the national league ensures only the best of the best can get a chance to play and compete for their place in the divisional team. It creates the competition and pressure our domestic cricket lacks. Now, ofcourse we have more than 80 professional players in the country. What happens to the rest of the players? I propose a system where every divisional team will have their club league going on at the same time. Players who can't make it to the divisional team can play there and compete.

However, the main issue is money. When money starts to come in, only then professional cricketers will take NCL seriously. When you know, if you can perform well, there will be 4 divisions going after you with bags of money, players will give their 100 percent.

sheikh
June 15, 2007, 07:58 AM
"cricket has escaped the grasp of the english-medium urban elite"

:) This is interesting!!!

sheikh
June 15, 2007, 08:01 AM
Can the players play for their selected Division? For example, can Ash play for Rajshahi if he wants?

yaseer
June 15, 2007, 08:02 AM
Great news......money has come....now need to make it competitive....passion and competition in the NCL will raise the level

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 08:04 AM
6 divisional team is good enough if they are handled properly. Having only 6 teams in the national league ensures only the best of the best can get a chance to play and compete for their place in the divisional team. It creates the competition and pressure our domestic cricket lacks. Now, ofcourse we have more than 80 professional players in the country. What happens to the rest of the players? I propose a system where every divisional team will have their club league going on at the same time. Players who can't make it to the divisional team can play there and compete.

However, the main issue is money. When money starts to come in, only then professional cricketers will take NCL seriously. When you know, if you can perform well, there will be 4 divisions going after you with bags of money, players will give their 100 percent.

yes, especially with 4 junior sides developing the pipeline for each team. we're talking about 125 FC and FC-type matches and 175 List-A and List-A type matches per team per year BTW with a senior and 4 junior sides in each team. a huge cost that can be easily met by BCB and its eager corporate allies for our national passion.

sadi
June 15, 2007, 08:05 AM
Can the players play for their selected Division? For example, can Ash play for Rajshahi if he wants?

No he can't. I feel like thats one of the problem we have in the national league. When a division knows a player has no option but to play for you, they can offer him less money, treat him bad. Allowing players to choose their own division will make the league more competitive and interesting.

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 08:05 AM

i don't see why not once the league becomes truly professional - although the current regionalism is pretty cool too. tough choice, but i'd opt for ash or mash switching teams once their contracts expire. good for them, good for our cricket.

sheikh
June 15, 2007, 08:11 AM
Mashrafee got 8 lakh taka playing for Abahani this year. Now tell me whom will you give how much if your team become champion and get 10 lakh taka as prize money?
Thats why my suggestion is to make it like B-league. Open for Abahani, Mohamedan....and increase the amount of money for players. This way the NCL will become more competitive.

sadi
June 15, 2007, 08:17 AM
Mashrafee got 8 lakh taka playing for Abahani this year. Now tell me whom will you give how much if your team become champion and get 10 lakh taka as prize money?
Thats why my suggestion is to make it like B-league. Open for Abahani, Mohamedan....and increase the amount of money for players. This way the NCL will become more competitive.

Exactly. If you compare the money a player receives playing club cricket and NCL, it is not even close. Even with the boost, a player is likely to make about 1.5 lakh every year. It is simply not good enough.

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 08:20 AM

dude, BCB and its sponsors are all about USD not BDT. just one of the major sponsors, GP has more than 10 million subscibers alone. multiply that by the average usage per subscriber per day times 365. now take a small percentage of that and divide it equally amongst 6 teams. there are 20 such sponsors ready to come on board once the package is right - i'm not even talking about existing BCB funds from the ICC, tv rights, other sponsorships and financial investments. with the politicos gone for good, the money needs to be spent where it was intended to be spent.

abahoni, and my favorite mohamedan will never be able to compete with that. IMHO we need to sacrifice some of the club cricket in order to really move forward with a better system.

sheikh
June 15, 2007, 08:28 AM
SOHEL : Well this is something hypothetical . If you consider the present situation. Abahani and your fav team mohamedan are much rich. And have big heart to spend for the players.
See the calculation of Sadi...1.5 lakh taka per year.
about 12500 taka per month. One can earn more than that by begging. Just need a good position like ....SHAHABAGER MORE!

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 08:35 AM
sheikh: the status quo is beginning to change bro, and thank God for that. with the influx black money being stifled, and the inevitable crackdown on illegal gambling, abahoni and mohamedan won't stay as rich as they have been in the recent past.

Fazal
June 15, 2007, 08:46 AM
Exactly. If you compare the money a player receives playing club cricket and NCL, it is not even close. Even with the boost, a player is likely to make about 1.5 lakh every year. It is simply not good enough.

I agree. Yes BCB has opened up their wallet a bit... but still they are acting like my previous conjush Boss... its still not good enough level.

Come-on BCB ....you can do it.... throw some more money to the blood-and-soul of BD cricket future.... the blue workers.... just small sacrifice like reducing the number of executives that goes to pleasure trip in each series will make up the difference.... just do it BOSS for the sake of BD cricket's future.

sheikh
June 15, 2007, 08:50 AM
sheikh: the status quo is beginning to change bro, and thank God for that. with the influx black money being stifled, and the inevitable crackdown on illegal gambling, abahoni and mohamedan won't stay as rich as they have been in the recent past.

Shada Kalo Bujhai. Player der jonno taka aamar chai noile jomi.

Tigers_eye
June 15, 2007, 08:56 AM
I think we can expand the NCLs by breaking the 6 teams into two conferences. North-South or East-West. That way travel is minimized. Each team can play Home and Away twice and then in the playoffs (or seeding decider) 5 game series. Also an all-star game can make the players feel better of some recongnition purpose. That almost doubles the number of games. Which can only equate to more money for the players.

One World
June 15, 2007, 09:06 AM
there is no by-laws in BD that restricts the sallary of an entertainer or player. any team can choose to pay any player any amount they like. definitely it is hard for BCB to catch up with clubs. think when shakib starts playing in Northampton and few more in other county teams.

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 09:08 AM
Shada Kalo Bujhai. Player der jonno taka aamar chai noile jomi.

if there's a will, there will be a way. i feel that BCB's decision, though seemingly somewhat indequate at the moment, can be a step in the right direction. shada kalo bujhte hobe bhai, ebong shot pothe je aro taka niye asha jay, sheta ene manushke dekhiye dite hobe. i don't see why the NCL payscale cannot start at BDT 1.2 million PPPY (per player per year) at the senior level with no salary cap, BDT 600,000 PPPY at the junior (A-team) level, BDT 300,000 PPPY plus academic scholarship/corporate internship at the U-19 level, and BDT 150,000 PPPY and academic scholarship at the U-17 level.

i'm not at liberty to discuss more specific figures at this point.

sheikh
June 15, 2007, 09:15 AM
KIntu takata aashche kotha theke? :)

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 09:17 AM
KIntu takata aashche kotha theke? :)

onugroho kore unish nombor post-e ektu phire jan bhai.

akabir77
June 15, 2007, 09:25 AM
Just wanted to mention that selectors selects all the players for all the division. division has nothing to do with it. but normally selectors select the players based on their division and hence we saw mushfiq playing for rajshai as a second keeper so that he could learn from pilot. (i think that's correct if my memory served me right not 100% sure though)...

sheikh
June 15, 2007, 09:25 AM
onugroho kore unish nombor post-e ektu phire jan bhai.

Anugroho korar por:

We are talking about NCL. From where does GP come from? GP is not the sponsor of NCL. And find the sponsor money of the NCL last year. Most probably the sponsor was Mirzapore tea...how much did they pay?

All these sponsors are interested about international games...being telecast in TV. Not NCL.

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 09:28 AM
Anugroho korar por:

We are talking about NCL. From where does GP comes from? GP is not the sponsor of NCL. And find the sponsor money of the NCL last year. Most probably the sponsor was Mirzapore tea...how much did they pay?

All these sponsors are interested about international games...being telecast in TV. Not NCL.

be a little patient bro, change is a process not an event. i feel that a new process has just begun.

Aritro
June 15, 2007, 09:37 AM
Excerpt-

"Among the agendas, sprucing domestic cricket was on top of all discussions. It was decided that Tk 10,000 would be provided to each player for playing a four-day match and Tk 5,000 for the limited-over match in the National Cricket League, informed BCB general secretary Mahbub Anam.

All the divisional teams will be provided with coach, physio and trainer and each side will get at least three weeks of preparation time. The facilities would be high standard added the general secretary.

Around Tk 20 lakh would be the total prize money with the champions expected to get half of it."

The NCL finally gets the shine it deserves. State of the art facilities and professional coaching staff will start to imrove the quality of NCL matches over time. All they have to do now is reformat the tournament into a longer lasting one, played on a variety of sporting pitches.

IMHO, a best of 5 series for First Class matches, as opposed to the current "home and away" 2-match version, and a best of 7 List-A matches for each one of the 6 teams, as opposed to the current single match version, will finally give our players enough time in the middle to learn to harness their talent and deliver better performances at the international level. An NCL team of MLB-style trained talent scounts - i'm NOT talking about "talent hunt" or other media events here - looking for talent nationwide, will create a good pool of players for the 6 teams, and help them field a number of age-based junior teams and develop players in the pipeline.

If "club cricket" falls by the wayside because of all this, I say so be it. We want the Tigers to win more than anything else, and it is the NCL, not PLC that can take them there.

Here's the DS report: -

http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/06/15/d70615040635.htm

Brilliant news, but I disagree with you on a couple of points.

IMO 10 four-day matches is not a bad number. It's in line with how many matches they play in the Pura Cup here. However, they'd do well to extend the List A schedule to 10 matches as well.

Furthermore, even though our ultimate commitment should be towards the improvement of the NCL, I think the club competition is something we should try view as a bonus and try and preserve. With a healthy club competition, our first-class cricketers will have two seperate income streams during a season and this might motivate a larger pool of players to abandon their day jobs and play cricket professionally.

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 09:42 AM
Brilliant news, but I disagree with you on a couple of points.

IMO 10 four-day matches is not a bad number. It's in line with how many matches they play in the Pura Cup here. They'd do well to extend the List A schedule to 10 matches as well though.

Furthermore, even though our ultimate commitment should be towards the improvement of the NCL, I think the club competition is something we should try view as a bonus and try and preserve. With a healthy club competition, our first-class cricketers will have two seperate income streams during a season and this might see the emergence of more full-time cricketers.

IMHO result at the international level is everything, and the current NCL format does not provide adequate time in the middle for our cricketers to prepare themselves sufficiently, and perform at the international level. club cricket gets in the way of a more expansive schedule. too many teams also dilute talent the way they have in the past.

sheikh
June 15, 2007, 09:45 AM
Furthermore, even though our ultimate commitment should be towards the improvement of the NCL, I think the club competition is something we should try view as a bonus and try and preserve. With a healthy club competition, our first-class cricketers will have two seperate income streams during a season and this might motivate a larger pool of players to abandon their day jobs and play cricket professionally.

Could not agree with you more!

sadi
June 15, 2007, 09:47 AM
BCB doesn't have to spend so much money if they can create a system where sponsors take care of the finance. For example, GP can sponsor Dhaka division for 5 years while Aktel sponsors Khulna division. They will give 25 lakh taka per year to the division team. All BCB need to do is to make it attractive to the sponsors. A tv coverage of all the games is a must. They have to sell the game to people. When people pay more attention to the games and forms a bond with their divisional team, sponsors will line up with the money.

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 09:50 AM
BCB doesn't have to spend so much money if they can create a system where sponsors take care of the finance. For example, GP can sponsor Dhaka division for 5 years while Aktel sponsors Khulna division. They will give 25 lakh taka per year to the division team. All BCB need to do is to make it attractive to the sponsors. A tv coverage of all the games is a must. They have to sell the game to people. When people pay more attention to the games and forms a bond with their divisional team, sponsors will line up with the money.

you've hit the nail right on the head. that's the process. there maybe a BCB TV channel in the works before too long. let's see what happens.

Shafin
June 15, 2007, 09:53 AM
Lets wait and see.
IMO,BCB can give the champion of the premier league an entry in the NCL,as it did with Biman,that way,PL will also retain its position.

crikss
June 15, 2007, 09:57 AM
sounds good

Sohel
June 15, 2007, 10:00 AM
Lets wait and see.
IMO,BCB can give the champion of the premier league an entry in the NCL,as it did with Biman,that way,PL will also retain its position.

not a bad idea, but more teams mean more money being spread more thinly. think of each team with its own state of the art facilities, including stadiums, foreign coaches and physios training qualified locals with the aptitude for coaching, team of trained nationwide talent-scouts, and junior sides with their own schedules just like a Major League Baseball, NHL or EPL team. i say the less the better, as i've said in post # 9 ...

anyway, this maybe the start of something really good.

rah
June 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
sounding good but about the PL winners. they will need da stadiums and coaches and etc.

sadi
June 15, 2007, 11:33 AM
Lets wait and see.

That will only create more confusion. For example, Ashraful has two year contract with Rajshahi. Now his club team Sonargaon wins the premier league and now enters NCL. Who is he going to play for?

I have no problem having our first class cricketer playing club cricket if schedule allows it. However, their first priority should be NCL. We can ensure that by providing more money and exposure here.

Fazal
June 15, 2007, 11:44 AM
To tell you the truth... from regular fans point of view NCL will not be as attracting as local clubs. When I follow NCL I follow individual players rather than team. When I follow local league I still follow team rather than players except few exceptions. I doubt popularity wise, CNL can ever beat local league.

akabir77
June 15, 2007, 12:04 PM
To tell you the truth... from regular fans point of view NCL will not be as attracting as local clubs. When I follow NCL I follow individual players rather than team. When I follow local league I still follow team rather than players except few exceptions. I doubt popularity wise, CNL can ever beat local league.

I have a solution for that. Just create a team from noakhali. now you will see every one will want to beat them...

sadi
June 15, 2007, 12:28 PM

I understand what you are saying. It happens like that because we grew up rooting for Abahoni or Mohammedan. We are still not quite used to rooting for our division Dhaka or Ctg. It will come with times as divisions sell their own jerseys and show the games regularly on tv.

Fazal
June 15, 2007, 03:59 PM
I understand what you are saying. It happens like that because we grew up rooting for Abahoni or Mohammedan. We are still not quite used to rooting for our division Dhaka or Ctg. It will come with times as divisions sell their own jerseys and show the games regularly on tv.

I hope you are right... and I agree showing games regularly on tv will help a bit. But if a Dhakaiya player plays for Borisal and a Chatguyaa player plays for Shlyet, it basically kills all the charm... you basically kill the rivalty there and kind of create a charity game environment. Some people may disagree... but atleast thats how I see it.

rah
June 15, 2007, 04:47 PM
I have a solution for that. Just create a team from noakhali. now you will see every one will want to beat them...

:floor: :floor: :floor:

uss01
June 15, 2007, 06:08 PM
Yeah 10k per match is still too little.

AsifTheManRahman
June 15, 2007, 06:12 PM
This is great news. The money also looks pretty good in Bangladeshi standars - an average player could easily make a couple of lakhs in a season.

AsifTheManRahman
June 15, 2007, 06:16 PM
I hope you are right... and I agree showing games regularly on tv will help a bit. But if a Dhakaiya player plays for Borisal and a Chatguyaa player plays for Shlyet, it basically kills all the charm... you basically kill the rivalty there and kind of create a charity game environment. Some people may disagree... but atleast thats how I see it.

To add to that, we grew up supporting Abahani and/or Mohammedan because we had no international cricket to follow (maybe a couple every two years). The newer generations, however, will always have tons of international cricket to keep them busy.

I'm sure the BCB has a work around in mind, though. They've been doing a pretty impressive job with Bangladesh cricket over the past couple of years.

MohammedC
June 15, 2007, 06:28 PM

I kind of agree with you our NCL is not attracting as local leagues. Do you feel it would attract more crowd, if instead of calling team by their divisional name we name them after top premier league's team name. I meant Abahoni, Mohemadan, Biman Etc.

Just a thought.

selina
June 15, 2007, 06:42 PM
This is just a question.

Since the NCL consists of different cities playing against each other. Like Dhaka and Khulna for example. Does it create a lot of rivalry and fights between the people living in those cities ? Or is there more rivalry between the teams in club cricket ?

sheikh
June 15, 2007, 06:46 PM
This is just a question.

Since the NCL consists of different cities playing against each other. Like Dhaka and Khulna for example. Does it create a lot of rivalry and fights between the people living in those cities ? Or is there more rivalry between the teams in club cricket ?

Noone really cares about the games and the result. Forget about rivalry. We just follow individual achievements. Alok koto korse re? wicket paise kono? Rajin koita fifty marlo..notun ke bhalo kheltase..? ittadi ittadi...

FagunerAgun
June 15, 2007, 08:52 PM
We are having a gradual improvement, one day NCL will be much better and attractive, hope.

SMHasan
June 15, 2007, 09:35 PM
Late better than never. At last BCB people are able to understand the importance of local or domestic cricket.

With all the political leaders are getting punished for the corruption I think BCB should be investitigated too. I believe loads of corruptions existed before and if any type of inquiry is done then Mr Lobi and Co will be in deep trouble.

selina
June 15, 2007, 10:08 PM
Noone really cares about the games and the result. Forget about rivalry. We just follow individual achievements. Alok koto korse re? wicket paise kono? Rajin koita fifty marlo..notun ke bhalo kheltase..? ittadi ittadi...

Thanks buddy. I understand it now.:)

SS
June 15, 2007, 11:31 PM
It is mandatory for BCB to put money for cricket development instead of putting money in the pocket. We all know due to super8 participation in WC and other deals from affiliated companies, their bank balance is pretty hefty. When balance is in double digits in million, revamping of cricket structure is nothing extraordinary rather it was long overdue.

sadi
June 16, 2007, 06:34 AM

Well players keep changing for Abahoni and Mohammedan. Some player play for Abahoni one year and next year you see him under black and white jersey. That doesn't effect the rivalry. You feel attached with the team, not the player. Thats my take on it.

Sohel
June 16, 2007, 08:34 AM
Well players keep changing for Abahoni and Mohammedan. Some player play for Abahoni one year and next year you see him under black and white jersey. That doesn't effect the rivalry. You feel attached with the team, not the player. Thats my take on it.

good observation.

WarWolf
June 25, 2007, 07:38 PM
A few more points to be addressed.

First of all, the longer version of the matches should be of 5 days long. In current 4 days long matches, each inning is supposed to be around a single day long which is not enough long to me. To do better in tests, we need to have same length of first class domestic matches.

The commentators were discussing about lack of spin variations in our team and they pointed out that there might have not been enough search for spinners in root level around the country. We have some very good SLAs. But they lack variations. In order to do well in test level you must have some spinners who have something exceptional in them.
So far I can remember only 2 leggies who can be counted a bit. One of them is Ash and another is Alok Kapali. We managed to find only two leggies in the last 7 years. So pathetic!

There is no single good off-spnner. I am waiting eagerly to see young Riad in action. May be he is the guy we have been looking for. Yet only 1 good off-spinner from the whole country in last 7 years. Pathetic!

Same thing goes for pace dept. We should seriously look more and more for quality bowlers and place them in good tournaments like NCL.

Batting problem lies with the lack good bowlers in domestic cricket. Our batsmen finds it too easy in domestic cricket and all on a sudden when they go in international level they finds to too hard to cope with quality bowlers. Specially in tests. Cause good bowlers have liberties to make enough experiment in longer versions.

ammark
June 25, 2007, 08:16 PM
To say the spinners lack variation is slightly incorrect, in that the only SLA so far who does a good job of having variation in his bowling, Enam, has been dropped for this tour based on stats from India's past series.

And I've asked before: How long are we going to have a one dimensional bowling attack of Mashrafe+Rajib and Sakib+Rafique+Razzak??? ....If Enam is labelled as a test bowler, then Razzak should be labelled as an only One-Day bowler! Why this hypocrisy from fans huh?? The truth is that we cant afford to have Rafique and Razzak bowling in the same test match. We MUST throw in more variation consistently.

One World
June 25, 2007, 08:18 PM
"Batting problem lies with the lack good bowlers in domestic cricket. Our batsmen finds it too easy in domestic cricket and all on a sudden when they go in international level they finds to too hard to cope with quality bowlers. Specially in tests. Cause good bowlers have liberties to make enough experiment in longer versions."

Prime Point there.

WarWolf
June 25, 2007, 08:21 PM
The truth is that we cant afford to have Rafique and Razzak bowling in the same test match. We MUST throw in more variation consistently.
The question is "Do we really have enough variation in stand-by bowlers?"

ammark
June 25, 2007, 08:37 PM
The question is "Do we really have enough variation in stand-by bowlers?"

I guess the answer to that lies in Finding right arm off-spinners and leg-spinners who have the talent and potential to be great.

People can whinge and complain about how we're flooded with SLA's... but that isnt because they chose to bowl with their left arms, they're all naturally left-handed. So where are the right arm bowlers? Is it just that our domestic batsmen cant handle left armers bowling, so the right arm spinners look bad? I dunno... lets just see what the HPM, BD 'A' and U-19s give us. :(

WarWolf
June 25, 2007, 08:45 PM
I guess the answer to that lies in Finding right arm off-spinners and leg-spinners who have the talent and potential to be great.

People can whinge and complain about how we're flooded with SLA's... but that isnt because they chose to bowl with their left arms, they're all naturally left-handed. So where are the right arm bowlers? Is it just that our domestic batsmen cant handle left armers bowling, so the right arm spinners look bad? I dunno... lets just see what the HPM, BD 'A' and U-19s give us. :(
BCB should organize some program called "Spinner hunt". I am sure they will get sponsor from BLink or Warid or some other companies just the way GP sponsored "Pacer Hunt".

Braveheart
June 26, 2007, 04:43 AM

It can if it is marketed properly. This can be the best system if there is proper infrastructure and proper planning.

Slysaint
June 26, 2007, 04:58 AM
BCB should organize some program called "Spinner hunt". I am sure they will get sponsor from BLink or Warid or some other companies just the way GP sponsored "Pacer Hunt".

bangladesh should have AKTEL Batsmen Hunt, Citycell Spinner Hunt, along with with Grameenphone Pacer Hunt

Slysaint
June 26, 2007, 05:05 AM

yes but one must also remember, abahoni, mohameddan, brothers has been bangladesh sports staple for a long time, while NCL is new. one think to ponder over, Most Bangladeshis are loyal to their districts, they identify themselves with their districts. Abahoni, mohameddan etc became popular at one time because political affliations, abohoni was primarily supported by AL supporters, Mohammedan by most BNP supporters etc, not just that, league teams had the advantage of being sorta like "melting pot" where all others converged irrespective of their districts as most city dwellers came from other parts of bangladesh.
Given time NCL can become very popular, but it has to be managed properly.

cricket_pagol
June 26, 2007, 05:49 AM
This is definitely good news...

Cricket Crazy
June 26, 2007, 06:57 AM
i kno it mite sound stupid buy what's NCL?

Sohel
June 26, 2007, 07:10 AM
i kno it mite sound stupid buy what's NCL?

National Cricket League, the only First Class domestic cricket in Bangladesh.

One World
June 26, 2007, 09:51 PM
Well said Post # 28

Alok koto korle re, chokka marse kono :lol:

Post #60 is a bit impatient
Post#70 is very informative

There are talents. We need to grow and mould them and help them flourish. Make room for them. I always liked Pakistani test selectors. In every test series they will try 2/3 of their new sensations and surprisingly they all perform very good not the least.