PDA

View Full Version : Criteria for choosing selectors, A Suggestion

HereWeGo
June 15, 2007, 12:36 PM
One of the most prized job in Bangladesh cricket is being a selector. They earn more in a year than any first class player(who never played in the national team) would earn in 5 years( or even more). They are choosen totally depending on their past record and the time spent on national team. I personally feel that this prized job must be earned . Specially after looking at national team should not be the only the type of decisions they had made concerning Tushar imran. Being a part of the criteria.

Heres A suggestion:
Since BCB has decided to inject money on NCL( a great decision). From what i have heard they would also provide the teams with a Manager (coach), physio and trainer. All the managers of the six divisions should be provided with a certain sum of money . They should pick the players based on that sum ( and also based on the pool). And players can choose their own division. The winning team, the runner up team and the third position team should have their managers(coach) as selectors. A great incentive I feel. I know that there are holes in my suggestion but it is just a thought. The mods can delete he thread if they find it a bit too childish. Honestly i am not sure of it either.

Tigers_eye
June 15, 2007, 12:40 PM
The suggestion of players having right to choose their team may back fire. What if everyone wants to play for Dhaka division? More exposure, more recognition, more close to the national team etc?

Who would want to go to barisal division? ekta airport nai. bus ride or launch ride is not what a train ride is.

reyme
June 15, 2007, 01:00 PM
How much the national selectors get? I think its a lot, for 5 times a year job, spending few days here are there, even making money for attending matches to watch. Got to be a best paid job in the country!

I bet chinaman can do the selection: online for free! Plus it will be a better selection anyways!

sadi
June 15, 2007, 01:05 PM
The suggestion of players having right to choose their team may back fire. What if everyone wants to play for Dhaka division? More exposure, more recognition, more close to the national team etc?

Who would want to go to barisal division? ekta airport nai. bus ride or launch ride is not what a train ride is.

Money talks. When Barisal division will offer him 5 lakh and Dhaka offers him 2 lakh taka, I am sure most of the players will pick Barisal in place of Dhaka. Now, the only problem is whether Barisal will have enough sponsors to compete with big boys like Dhaka or Chittagong.

Rifat
June 15, 2007, 01:11 PM
selection is a very tricky job and a very dangerous job currently in Bangladeshi cricket. certain things needed to select players:

1. we select a player to ensure that he is the best player chosen for that position, for example: is the player willing to commit every bit of his mind and energy to the team? will the player perform well to the best of his abilities? and will the player be in harmony and agreeable to the conditions and other players of the Bangladeshi national team.

if a player isn't willing to do these things, then there is no point in choosing a player even though he might be the best there ever was because he lacks the will to do it. i mean what's the point of choosing a player if the player isn't committed but talented.

after all these things then the salary comes into play, will the player be happy with his salary and his position in the Bangladeshi team?

lastly, the selectors should look for recent form and say, if he did such and such the last match, will and can he do it again?

i strongly believe anyone can become a selector if he abides by these guidelines...

BD-Shardul
June 15, 2007, 04:09 PM
My criteria:

Selectors should not receive any salary from the BCB. This should be a voluntary job.

Rubu
June 15, 2007, 04:15 PM
How about making their pay performance Dependant. They gets bonus if the team does good and a pay cut if they do bad.

Rifat
June 15, 2007, 04:15 PM
How about making their pay performance Dependant. They gets bonus if the team does good and a pay cut if they do bad.

great idea, then the selectors will take their job seriously...:-D

pagol-chagol
June 15, 2007, 04:16 PM
Whats more important is "who is not the selector". We have heard a lot of interviews of our ex-players about the composition of the national team. Some of these guys are total morons.

WarWolf
June 15, 2007, 05:32 PM
My criteria:

Selectors should not receive any salary from the BCB. This should be a voluntary job.
Why?

selina
June 15, 2007, 06:08 PM

I like that one. In that way the selectors will be try to motivate the players more and will think twice before they make the final decisions for the team. Also they will have more incentive and drive regarding their job. The only drawback is that not only the selectors, but entire BCB may become too money-oriented.

Sohel
June 16, 2007, 08:36 AM
Whats more important is "who is not the selector". We have heard a lot of interviews of our ex-players about the composition of the national team. Some of these guys are total morons.

the awful truth.

here's a few ideas pasted from another post (annoying, i know): -

if one thinks that it's OK for the selectors to take credit for the good selections, they must also take responsibility for the bad ones. the current batch have never considered the latter. as national selectors, they have yet to present us with 1) transparent and well thought-out guidelines for defining and spotting talent, 2) a set of performance standards and other prerequisites for selection, and 3) ideas to start the ongoing process for nationwide talent scouting. time to pass the buck again i suppose ... i just hope that AK and the future selctors don't when their times comes.