PDA

View Full Version : Ponting aims whitewash

Surfer
June 16, 2007, 10:29 AM
Ponting apparently wants to win the forthcoming series against India 7-0. Thats a little too greedy, but its possible.:D

http://cricmagic.blogspot.com/2007/06/ponting-aims-whitewash-against-india.html

tonoy
June 16, 2007, 10:32 AM
anything is possible with these aussies. They will make india cry again. and trust me its not hard to make india cry. I mean even Bangladeshis made em cry ;)

rubel_18
June 16, 2007, 10:39 AM
anything is possible with these aussies. They will make india cry again. and trust me its not hard to make india cry. I mean even Bangladeshis made em cry ;)

Yes exactly and Australia with the form they are in at the moment even 1 win will be like a series win against them for India.

gatekeeper
June 16, 2007, 11:33 AM
War of word begins. Ball is in Dravid's court now.

Hatebreed
June 16, 2007, 11:41 AM
TBH, I couldn't care less. I wouldn't like to see it happen the other way around, but I'm starting to dislike this non-stop dominance and arrogance (earned or not) of the Australian team. If India can pull off a couple of wins, good for them.

AsifTheManRahman
June 16, 2007, 11:49 AM
well i don't see why they wouldn't be able to win it 7 - 0 (the aussies i mean).

MohammedC
June 16, 2007, 12:03 PM
when is the series starting?
November too far away to make any prediction. But Australia too good against anyone.

syzygy
June 16, 2007, 12:21 PM
worthless to comment on this sseries which is still nealy half an year away, so i will stay away from it right now.lets follow the progress of the indian team in the england tour. too early to even think abt aussies now.

Sovik
June 16, 2007, 04:18 PM
7 match series? man thats a lot of aussie hammering

Trigger_Tiger
June 16, 2007, 05:20 PM
I am not the least bit surprised!
Bangladesh can give them a harder time than India can now and I still can't understand why?

Antora
June 16, 2007, 06:33 PM
when doesnt ponting aim to white wash???????

MohammedC
June 16, 2007, 06:38 PM
Dont forget guys he does not have Mcgrath anymore in his team

syzygy
June 16, 2007, 08:23 PM
Dont forget guys he does not have Mcgrath anymore in his team

yea mo, aussies bowling line up will severely weaken by the absence of mcgrath. someone can say that may be one of the reason that ind played so well in their last series against aussies..ind almost won the test series and steve waugh saved them from a huge embarassment. also one must not forget mcgrath contribution in last world cup where he was man of the tourney.its still early to make comments, but a good observation mo1974.

Trigger_Tiger
June 16, 2007, 08:44 PM
yea mo, aussies bowling line up will severely weaken by the absence of mcgrath. someone can say that may be one of the reason that ind played so well in their last series against aussies..ind almost won the test series and steve waugh saved them from a huge embarassment. also one must not forget mcgrath contribution in last world cup where he was man of the tourney.its still early to make comments, but a good observation mo1974.

Well, I agree to that as well. The thing is, sure Australia does not have Pidge to play anymore for them, so what does that give us? - A somewhat closer fight!

A whitewash is still probable since the possibility is still 75:25.

One World
June 16, 2007, 11:13 PM
Another classic from ricky.

No spin in 7.5 years (http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1103523)

Trigger_Tiger
June 17, 2007, 12:56 AM
In my honest opinion, by the time Ricky Ponting stops playing for Australia, he would have surpassed Sachin Tendulkar and gone on to become the greatest batsmen ever! He stats say so.

A good read.

The moral of the story is, as a batsmen you cannot be proactive all the time but reactive whilst as a bowler it is all about being proactive in approach :up:!

Electrequiem
June 17, 2007, 01:07 AM
IMO, 7-0 is very probable, given India does not get their gears in synch.

Trigger_Tiger
June 17, 2007, 01:11 AM
IMO, 7-0 is very probable, given India does not get their gears in synch.

There might be a few centuries from the "Men in Blue" at most, but the Aussie side can still win it!

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 01:57 AM
IMHO ... 7-0 ... NO WAY ... 6-1 ... maybe ... 5-2 ... possibly, IF manoj tiwary and yusuf pat'han can get in and deliver the goods with chawla and an "in form" nehra. irfan pat'han getting his bowling rhythm back would help too.

Tintin
June 17, 2007, 02:15 AM
Ponting apparently wants to win the forthcoming series against India 7-0. Thats a little too greedy, but its possible.:D

He should aim for 7-0, shouldn't he ? It will be stupid to target 6-1 or 5-2.

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 02:20 AM
He should aim for 7-0, shouldn't he ? It will be stupid to target 6-1 or 5-2.

true ... but IMHO, he's better off using more general terms ... but then again, that has never been his style, has it ?

bd_fan_from_india
June 17, 2007, 03:01 AM
what is ponting smoking these days. india is not that bad to lose 7-0 in odis that too in home conditions. it would have beeter off if ponting had amied to win the series 6-1 or something. if we get mumbaiesque pitches, we can win a few odis. the best thing for ind will be that we will have nothing to lose in this series and if we win the series, it will make people forget the wc debacle even. the series will go as 4-3 on either side unless a tie or washout occurs. i also think that laxman should play in this odi series

Surfer
June 17, 2007, 03:03 AM

Corect. Its Ponting's habit to have a war of words well before a tournament. He enjoys that. But I don't think Dravid will react to that now.

Tintin
June 17, 2007, 03:14 AM

Shafin
June 17, 2007, 05:43 AM
Yeah,aussies are best at attacking verbally,but when it comes to swallowing some,they are the worst,remember the McGrath Sarwan incident?

Trigger_Tiger
June 17, 2007, 12:04 PM
what is ponting smoking these days. india is not that bad to lose 7-0 in odis that too in home conditions. it would have beeter off if ponting had amied to win the series 6-1 or something. if we get mumbaiesque pitches, we can win a few odis. the best thing for ind will be that we will have nothing to lose in this series and if we win the series, it will make people forget the wc debacle even. the series will go as 4-3 on either side unless a tie or washout occurs. i also think that laxman should play in this odi series

The general rule of thumb is that if you aim low, you achieve lower. If you aim high, you achieve your expected goal or closer to your expected goal.

bd_fan_from_india
June 17, 2007, 12:10 PM
The general rule of thumb is that if you aim low, you achieve lower. If you aim high, you achieve your expected goal or closer to your expected goal.

i think u r right there. but it also looks like u want to say that bangladesh should also aim to win the odi series against sri lanka

Trigger_Tiger
June 17, 2007, 12:12 PM
i think u r right there. but it also looks like u want to say that bangladesh should also aim to win the odi series against sri lanka

They should. Even if they don't they should as should India aim to whitewash the Aussies.
The only reason Ponting could say what he did was because they're at the helm :).....I'd have liked to see them say so back in 1998 :-p!!!!!

Surfer
June 17, 2007, 01:40 PM
I remember an all destroying Australia tour India after winning a world record 12 test matches in a row. All neutral experts wrote India off as India looked weak. I remember people even say that the Indian bowling lineup without Kumble was simply incapable of taking 20 Australian wickets. What followed is history.

What I want to say is, beating India in India still remains the toughest challenge in cricket. I agree that Australia are the favorites for winning, but 7-0 is a tough proposition.

sandpiper
June 17, 2007, 01:46 PM
considering their overwhelming form, 7-0 is possible.

tonoy
June 17, 2007, 02:00 PM
why are you guys considering aussies weak without mcgrath. Did anyone forget that their main strength is their batting? I mean they almost post 400+ in any innings. Did anyone forget Bret Lee, Tait,S Clark(who is way better than old Mcgrath), Macgill, and Others. Give me a break. Aussies will win it 7-0 without a doubt unless miracle occurs.

israr
June 17, 2007, 02:29 PM
What I want to say is, beating India in India still remains the toughest challenge in cricket

Sorry friend, I don't think thats the case anymore, but I'd concur with this statement few years ago when India reached its summit . Australia broke their three and a half decade drought of a test series victory in India in 2004, Pakistan levelled the test series and won the ODI series in 2006, and India couldn't even make it to the semi-finals of Champions Trophy 2006. The level of dominance of India in India has dropped, and the task of winning a series in this part of the world is no longer the toughest challenge in cricket, but unequivocally, they are still a tough opposition to beat in their own homeground, but the present India is not even a shade of what the the 'glorious India' used to be during Ganguly's era. So I implore to differ with your above mentioned quote.

bd_fan_from_india
June 18, 2007, 02:31 AM
Sorry friend, I don't think thats the case anymore, but I'd concur with this statement few years ago when India reached its summit . Australia broke their three and a half decade drought of a test series victory in India in 2004, Pakistan levelled the test series and won the ODI series in 2006, and India couldn't even make it to the semi-finals of Champions Trophy 2006. The level of dominance of India in India has dropped, and the task of winning a series in this part of the world is no longer the toughest challenge in cricket, but unequivocally, they are still a tough opposition to beat in their own homeground, but the present India is not even a shade of what the the 'glorious India' used to be during Ganguly's era. So I implore to differ with your above mentioned quote.

even though performance of india in india has dipped slightly, but indias performances away have also improved in the same time. dont just look at 1 side to make the comments. ind beat sa in sa in the 1st test with sa getting all out for 84. ind also levelled the series against aus the last time ind travelled there and also beat pak in pak twice by an innings a few months later. also, more than 50% of the indian batsmen have better averages away than home.

Trigger_Tiger
June 18, 2007, 02:36 AM
even though performance of india in india has dipped slightly, but indias performances away have also improved in the same time. dont just look at 1 side to make the comments. ind beat sa in sa in the 1st test with sa getting all out for 84. ind also levelled the series against aus the last time ind travelled there and also beat pak in pak twice by an innings a few months later. also, more than 50% of the indian batsmen have better averages away than home.

The fact remains that Australia are coming to India and not India going to Australia!

Tintin
June 18, 2007, 03:02 AM

We are not talking about Test matches here. In the last five years, India have won practically nothing against Australia in ODIs.

BD-Shardul
June 21, 2007, 04:33 AM
Feeling :fire:

GOD bless U ponting

OZGOD
June 25, 2007, 01:30 AM
Ponting is confident, if nothing else.

One World
June 25, 2007, 03:51 AM
The way BD batting sunk against Srilanka tonight its not impossible for Aus to whitewash any country at any level anymore.

GothamCity
June 25, 2007, 04:39 PM
Australia is using a very very ANCIENT war tactic, of instilling fear in their opponents... they did it throughout the world cup, bulldozing the minnows and just rampaging through everyone, they no doubt have the best top-order batsmen of any team at any time in ODI history but is their mental game in which they win half the battles. But no one is invincible. Sri Lanka at this point has everything in their arsenal to defeat Australia, the world cup final was rather unfortunate but when SL dropped 3 of their key players as a strategic move, this irked Australia a lot because they were getting a taste of their own tactical ploys. However, It is shame that the captain of the best team of the world has to indulge in such crass comments.. it is no more a gentleman's game.

Nafis_BD
June 25, 2007, 05:35 PM
I am not surprised.....Ponting says all kinds of stuff but he also proves it unlike our captains who say all kinds of stuff but proves it wrong(I am not against any captains though)!!

Sovik
June 25, 2007, 06:01 PM
ponting has the fire power to take on any country at this moment

One World
June 25, 2007, 08:14 PM
I am not surprised.....Ponting says all kinds of stuff but he also proves it unlike our captains who say all kinds of stuff but proves it wrong(I am not against any captains though)!!

You are right in terms of cricket definitely, but there is a lot of non-cricketing stuff they like to start saying to create a mental pressure on their opponents only.