PDA

View Full Version : The untold story of Mohammad Ashraful, the flag bearer of Bangladesh Cricket

Miraz
June 16, 2007, 04:21 PM
The untold story of Mohammad Ashraful, the flag bearer of Bangladesh Cricket
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

A winter day of 1993 in Sidhdheswary cricket training ground, one of the breeding grounds of many national cricketers, a couple of net practices were going on. Former Bangladesh skipper Khaled Mahmud Sujon, Imran Hamid Partho were doing serious net practice for Amarjyoti, a club used to play in the second division cricket league. Mohammad Rafique, ace spinner of Bangladesh, played for Amarjyoti in the previous season and was also there to share net practice. Cricket in Bangladesh in those days were easily outclassed by football and Bangladesh were only playing ICC Trophy without any apparent success.

A young boy aged 9-10 was a regular feature of the net practice. He always arrived in time dressed with cricket whites, a bit oversized in his lean body. He was happy to work as a net boy, nothing more. Days after days, months after months he became regular furniture of the practice session of Amarjyoti club. The club completed one season in the second division league, net practice stopped and the boy was not seen anywhere near the Sidhdheswary ground for the rest of the year.

Next year, the net session started and everyone was surprised to see the boy, back again to perform his duty with religious regularity. Almost nothing changed; the same face, the same whites and the same dedication. One day Khaled Mahmud, captain of Amarjyoti club, asked him, “Do you want to be a cricketer”? Yes, the answer was very prompt from him. “I can bowl a bit, leg spin bowling. If you allow me, I can show you some” said the boy who looked nothing more than 9-10 years old. Surprisingly enough, Mahmud listened to the pledge of the boy.

The first batsman in the net was Imran Hamid Partha, a dashing left handed opener who afterward played for Bangladesh A and Abahani. At that time he was a leading performer for Amarjyouti and particularly merciless against spinners. With all the concentration of the world, the young boy delivered his first ball in the competitive world of cricket. The ball, which should disappear from the small field, deceived Imran with turn and bounce and he missed it completely. In utter disbelief everyone witnessed the incident, Imran was shaking his head. The same thing happened in the next ball and the boy continued to cause all sorts of trouble to Imran. Next batsmen came to the net one after another, and the magic continued. After the net session, they boy in smiling face said, “See, I can bowl leg spin a bit”. He was very happy to become a part of the net session, he witnessed for years with a dream to participate.

Suddenly the club officials became very interested in the boy and wanted to make sure that he turns up in the very next morning. The next day was a busy day for him; the club officials took him to BCB office of the Bangabandhu National Stadium to get him registered withy the club. After searching all available sportswear shop, they somehow managed to find a proper cricket whites, which after a good amount of tailoring, fitted in the lean body of the boy.

In the next seven days he bowled as many bowls as he wished, and all the players knew they have got a match winner in their team. He got the first opportunity to bat in the net after 10 days; it was the day before the first match. More surprise was waiting for everyone in the field; this time the balls were disappearing everywhere with some sweet sound from the willow of the boy. He was playing every type of shots present in the coaching manual with unbelievable ease. Khaled Mahmud, the captain of Amarjyoti, exclaimed in surprise, “You really bat well, exceptional”. “I am basically a bowler who can bat a bit”, was the modest answer from the boy.

Match day. Everyone in the field was very astonished to see the name a very young boy in the playing XI of Amarjyoti. After first 10 overs, Mahmud turned to the young prodigy. The umpire asked the name of the bowler, Ashraful….Mohammad Ashraful was the answer. The leg spinner Ashraful won the match for Amarjyoti.

A talent was born and a history was made. Ashraful got the return of all his dedication and sincerity. A net boy, who passed days after days collecting ball from the net without any return, became the most valuable player of the team at the age of 10.

At that time, former spinner and Mohammedan player Wahidul Gani was a leading mentor of young cricketers. Mahmud took Ashraful to Wahidul Gani to show the talent he discovered. At the very first day Gani realized the arrival of a diamond in his training camp. Ashraful became a very special student of Wahidul Gani, and the mentor used all his expertise to shape up the future of Bangladesh cricket.

Ashraful stayed in Amarjyoti for only one season. In the very next season he moved to Victoria Sporting Club who were playing in the first division cricket league. Time started to pass very quickly for Ashraful, he was called for Bangladesh age group teams starting from U-13 to U-21’s. A leg spin bowler soon turned into the mainstay of batting in every team he played. In 16th January 2000, he made his debut for U-19 world cup at the age of 15 years and made his first class debut for Dhaka Division in the same season.

Within one year, he played for Bangladesh U-19’s in ICC U-19 world cup, Bangladesh U-17’s in ICC U-17 Asia Cup, Dhaka Metropolis in National Cricket League and Bangladesh Cricket Board XI against Australian Academy. After showing his brilliance everywhere, Ashraful finally made his ODI debut against Zimbabwe in April 2001 at the age of 16 years. In September 2001, he made his historic Test debut against Sri Lanka in the Asian Test Championship and hammered a brilliant century to become the youngest player to make a Test century.

Now I will take you to 1st may 2003, Bangladesh were playing 2nd Test against South Africa in Dhaka. After reducing South Africa to 63-4, Bangladesh failed to keep the pressure . Rudolph and Boucher were repairing the South African innings and formed a 107 run partnership to lift South Africa to 170-4. Bangladesh captain Khaled Mahmud turned to Mohammad Ashraful and he paid the faith immediately. He lured Rudolph out of the crease and wicketkeeper Mohammad Selim did the rest. It was like the action replay of something happened 8 years ago, Amarjyoti captain Khaled Mahmud turned to the unknown 10 years old boy and he produced magic. The characters were same but the arena was completely different. Ashraful completed the first cycle of his cricket career, from a 2nd division club net of Siddheswary ground to the Test match at Bangabandhu National Stadium.

In his roller coaster international career Ashraful produced some magic with the bat but failed live up with the expectation in numerous occasions. Despite all of his failures, he was always regarded as the best batsman of Bangladesh cricket who can turn the table around for Bangladesh. Whenever bad days came, he turned to his mentor Wahidul Gani. Gani eagerly waited to see his student and the pair worked hard to see off the hard time. Sincerity and dedication of Ashraful always rescued him from the brink of failure.

2nd June 2007, Bangladesh Cricket Board appointed Mohammad Ashraful as Bangladesh captain. In the very first day of his glory, he returned to Sidhdheswary ground, the birth place of the cricketer Ashraful. The lean young boy, who waited for months with sincerity and dedication to get his first chance in the nets, went to the same field as the flag bearer of Bangladesh cricket.

MohammedC
June 16, 2007, 04:32 PM
Miraz bhai hats off to you sir, That was a wonderful read

One World
June 16, 2007, 04:35 PM
massive write up. nothing better than knowing ur captain

Rifat
June 16, 2007, 04:45 PM
now that i know his true history, i want to see him bowl in the sri lanka series in the test match more than ever.

selina
June 16, 2007, 04:49 PM
That was an amazing piece of writing Miraz Bhai :) . But I have a question, how do you know this story? Did you get it from Ash personally ?

Trigger_Tiger
June 16, 2007, 04:56 PM
Loved the artile Miraz and thanks for the enlightenment. Now we know for sure that he is more of a bowler than we thought he was :). Great article :up:.

Mind if I quote it with your name and post it in another forum (http://www.cricketweb.net/)?

Miraz
June 16, 2007, 05:06 PM
Loved the artile Miraz and thanks for the enlightenment. Now we know for sure that he is more of a bowler than we thought he was :). Great article :up:.

Mind if I quote it with your name and post it in another forum (http://www.cricketweb.net/)?

I can give you the permission only after its published as a BC article.

Please refrain from posting it anywhere else.

Thanks.

Trigger_Tiger
June 16, 2007, 05:14 PM
Okay and Thank You :up:!

Murad
June 16, 2007, 05:14 PM
wow.. miraz bhai.. great article.. really impressive..
where did you get all this information??
btw he said in some show that he fell in love with cricket at the age of 13...

Miraz
June 16, 2007, 05:17 PM
Okay and Thank You :up:!

You are welcome bro and thanks for your understanding. :)

Trigger_Tiger
June 16, 2007, 05:21 PM
Achcha Miraz Bhai where did you get the infos from?

Miraz
June 16, 2007, 05:29 PM
Everyone seems to be very eager to know the source of the information.

I had to do quite a bit of homework before writing this piece.

Major part of the information is taken from players played alongside Ashraful in Amarjyoti club and in first division league, the rest is from internet. :)

Nafis_BD
June 16, 2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks alot Miraz bhaiya.Great story and a great article by Miraz bhaiy, an absolute classic:bravo: :bravo: !!!!! Btw where did you get this info from ??

cricman
June 16, 2007, 05:33 PM
This is an awesome read, this is by far your best piece of writing which is saying something since you regularly write top notch articles but this taking it to the next level

Rajowana
June 16, 2007, 05:39 PM
wow this is a great article thnx!!!!!!!

taklima_naj
June 16, 2007, 05:44 PM
Briliant work on our briliant captain.

Miraz
June 16, 2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words about the work.

Ashraful is my favorite player and its really satisfying to know him in full. :)

damalChele
June 16, 2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks Miraz bhai. Great read.
So he was 10 years old in 1993 and 15 in 2000..am i missing something?

Miraz
June 16, 2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks Miraz bhai. Great read.
So he was 10 years old in 1993 and 15 in 2000..am i missing something?

Here's the clarification,

He was born in July 1984.

In winter (October - November) of 1993 he was 9+

In January of 2000 he was 15+ (in July 2000 he became 16).

Is it clear now?

damalChele
June 16, 2007, 06:03 PM
Here's the clarification,

He was born in July 1984.

In winter (October - November) of 1993 he was 9+

In January of 2000 he was 15+ (in July 2000 he became 16).

Is it clear now?

cheers for the clarification :-D

gatekeeper
June 16, 2007, 06:15 PM
Good job Miraz, enjoyed it.

Antora
June 16, 2007, 06:19 PM
interesting article!!!!! good job mirz bhaiya!!!!!
learnt a lot about ASH

cricketboy
June 16, 2007, 06:20 PM
Great article.:up:

Murad
June 16, 2007, 06:25 PM
wow this is a great article thnx!!!!!!!

oh finally you said.. thnx.. instead of fanx.. :lol:

Rumz_01
June 16, 2007, 06:30 PM
aaw bless...
so kool!!

WarWolf
June 16, 2007, 06:34 PM
Miraz bhai this is the best article to me that you have ever produced. Keep on doing fire works brother.

rubel_18
June 16, 2007, 06:36 PM
wat a grt article Miraz Bhai, I really enjoy ur writings must hav taken a lot of time to research the information, nice to know that he was originally a bowler. Hope he bowls those Sri Lankans OUT. Thanks again Miraz Bhai, its a privilege to hav u on BC

Electrequiem
June 16, 2007, 06:47 PM
wow.. miraz bhai.. great article.. really impressive..
where did you get all this information??
btw he said in some show that he fell in love with cricket at the age of 13...

excellent article Miraz bhai. Really awesome. Now I want to see him bowl more than ever.

And I also saw him in Chance Fifty50, where he said he fell in love with cricket when he was 13.

Miraz
June 16, 2007, 06:53 PM
excellent article Miraz bhai. Really awesome. Now I want to see him bowl more than ever.

And I also saw him in Chance Fifty50, where he said he fell in love with cricket when he was 13.

It takes a bit time to fall in love.

Time, passion and sincere effort coupled with success, that's what Ashraful achieved at the age of 13 and the result is LOVE.

:)

betaar
June 16, 2007, 09:31 PM

Brilliant write up from Miraz on a brilliant player that's for sure, but "brilliant captain"??? let's wait and see.....

BD Tigers
June 16, 2007, 10:12 PM
great writing. thanks for the unknown info.

Trigger_Tiger
June 16, 2007, 10:29 PM
Achcha, what are the odds that Ash will bowl quite a bit this series :confused:

Electrequiem
June 16, 2007, 10:36 PM

He is Brilliant, and he is our Captain. But I am not quite ready to put those two together ... but best of luck Ash!!! Make us feel the way we deserve to feel ... EMPHATIC!

Kabir
June 16, 2007, 10:43 PM
Achcha, what are the odds that Ash will bowl quite a bit this series :confused:

Pretty high. That's the reason why he bowled in the nets, by the way.

catstrophy
June 16, 2007, 10:58 PM
Good Work Miraz... I used to live in Shantinagar in 1993 and I heard a lot of things about that club you mention.

amethyst
June 16, 2007, 11:07 PM
From a net boy to the captain of a national team!! Only passion and hardwork can sharpen the talent. And Ash is the proof! One day I wish to make a film of this guy. And I know I'll remember this article and the author till I die! Thank you Miraz bhai for unfolding such real "fairy tale" to us all!! (yeah, almost seems fairy tale.. something to tell the kids about dreaming BIG!)

yaseer
June 16, 2007, 11:34 PM
WONDERFUL!!! WONDERFUL!!!! to read.........hats off to you Miraz bhai, keep it going

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 01:15 AM
thanks Miraz bhai, a truly moving narrative.

cricket_king
June 17, 2007, 01:36 AM
Wow. Great article Miraz bhai :applause:
It's like a fairytale beginning :)

Trigger_Tiger
June 17, 2007, 01:55 AM
Wow. Great article Miraz bhai :applause:
It's like a fairytale beginning :)

You know so far I've heard stories of 4 Bangladeshi players with such beginnings but it HAS to be Ash's that is the most fairytale of them all.

1. Ashraful
2. Rafique
3. Mortaza
4. Sakib

cricket_pagol
June 17, 2007, 02:56 AM
Miraz bhai, fatafati article!!! Truly amazing :)

Cricinfo does not know what they are missing out!

Shaan
June 17, 2007, 02:59 AM
Ash the prodigy.. great one Miraz bai, love to read my favorite batsman's brief biography.

Shafin
June 17, 2007, 03:03 AM
Another great article,for you Miraj Via,and IMO,your Best one.
BTW,Which one of your article you would rate as your best?

ononto
June 17, 2007, 03:20 AM
cool and smooth writing :)

Shafin
June 17, 2007, 03:40 AM
Miraz bhai, fatafati article!!! Truly amazing :)

Cricinfo does not know what they are missing out!
Cricinfo is not the place for Bangladesh cricket,Banglacricket is.And the class of bangladesh related articles from BC has certainly been above CI,and hopefully it will continue to be.

BANFAN
June 17, 2007, 05:01 AM
Highly revealing & moving story. well scripted. Liked it

Some Emotional Content : But good to see Finally a Successful 'Fotik'

Great Miraz Jan !!

Mohiul
June 17, 2007, 06:29 AM
WOW!!!, another great piece of work by Miraz bhai.

taklima_naj
June 17, 2007, 07:18 AM
Brilliant write up from Miraz on a brilliant player that's for sure, but "brilliant captain"??? let's wait and see.....

hope and believe he will be so.

jawaherul
June 17, 2007, 07:42 AM
Khondaker Mirazur Rahman

A winter day of 1993 in Sidhdheswary cricket training ground, one of the breeding grounds of many national cricketers, a couple of net practices were going on. Former Bangladesh skipper Khaled Mahmud Sujon, Imran Hamid Partho were doing serious net practice for Amarjyoti, a club used to play in the second division cricket league. Mohammad Rafique, ace spinner of Bangladesh, played for Amarjyoti in the previous season and was also there to share net practice. Cricket in Bangladesh in those days were easily outclassed by football and Bangladesh were only playing ICC Trophy without any apparent success....

....2nd June 2007, Bangladesh Cricket Board appointed Mohammad Ashraful as Bangladesh captain. In the very first day of his glory, he returned to Sidhdheswary ground, the birth place of the cricketer Ashraful. The lean young boy, who waited for months with sincerity and dedication to get his first chance in the nets, went to the same field as the flag bearer of Bangladesh cricket.

wonderful , awsome !!!!

Nafis_BD
June 17, 2007, 08:17 AM
You know so far I've heard stories of 4 Bangladeshi players with such beginnings but it HAS to be Ash's that is the most fairytale of them all.

1. Ashraful
2. Rafique
3. Mortaza
4. Sakib

Hey can you give me the links to the other 4 stories of the players pls??

israr
June 17, 2007, 08:57 AM
What an article! I am speechless, something like how Ashraful was during the post-match presentation at Cardiff!

Mike
June 17, 2007, 09:12 AM
Very impressive and touchy article. Miraz, keep up doing your good job.

al Furqaan
June 17, 2007, 09:42 AM
didnt his brother write an article about ash in the aftermath of beating australia, and he said ash was born july 1983, making him 24 now, or nearly so, and well over 18 when he hit that century against SL.

al Furqaan
June 17, 2007, 09:43 AM
but a great write up...i'm gonna shar it with my friends on facebook once its published.

Fortuner
June 17, 2007, 10:00 AM
no wonder Chacha helped Ash...Chacha is gr8...

Ahmed_B
June 17, 2007, 10:15 AM
Ashraful is my favorite player
It showed in your writing..

Nice little piece of writing! Filmic representation of a dramatic story! :up:

akabir77
June 17, 2007, 10:34 AM
http://www.prothom-alo.org/fcat.news.details.php?issuedate=2007-06-17&nid=OTYxOA==&fid=Ng==

Here is another story on ash after he made the 100 against SL where he clears every thing about his age... please read it and drop the age thing once and for all...

btw miraz bhai great writting...

Miraz
June 17, 2007, 10:35 AM
Responses to the article clearly show our level of affection for the "Captain Kid" :)

akabir77
June 17, 2007, 10:54 AM
according to the prothom alo article ash says two people who influenced him being here are his khalato bhai PONIR who took him 2 cricket grounds and stuff when other brothers of his had never played or had any interest on cricket and his coach ...

Shafin
June 17, 2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.prothom-alo.org/fcat.news.details.php?issuedate=2007-06-17&nid=OTYxOA==&fid=Ng==

Here is another story on ash after he made the 100 against SL where he clears every thing about his age... please read it and drop the age thing once and for all...

btw miraz bhai great writting...
Thanks for sharing.
Cricinfo corrected it now,But he Player page in BC (http://www.banglacricket.com/games/profile.php?c=7) still shows the wrong Birthday,and the stats has not been updated for his last 15 innings.

BTW,the first meeting with Wahidul Gani is different there.it says
[বাংলা]’৯৪ সালের ডিসেম্বরে বিসিবির আয়োজিত অনুর্ধ ১২ বছর বয়সীদের ক্যাম্পে আশরাফুলকে পাঠান ওই পনির ভাই।সেখানেই কোচ ওয়াহিদুল গনির নজরে পড়া। [/বাংলা]

Miraz
June 17, 2007, 10:57 AM
according to the prothom alo article ash says two people who influenced him being here are his khalato bhai PONIR who took him 2 cricket grounds and stuff when other brothers of his had never played or had any interest on cricket and his coach ...

yap!

Wahidul Gani is the mentor of Ashraful. He polished the raw talent and guided Ashraful to glory.

Miraz
June 17, 2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for sharing.
BTW,the first meeting with Wahidul Gani is different there.it says

I can confirm the validity of my info.

All information are taken from the players who played alongside (side character of the story) Ashraful during his early days.

kalpurush
June 17, 2007, 11:27 AM
Great Miraz Jan !!

Miraz bhai: Thanks for the nice article on our captain! And, the reward is above!!
I wonder being a star how different you are now from our reg. Miraz bhai?!!!:D

Miraz
June 17, 2007, 11:34 AM
I wonder being a star how different you are now from our reg. Miraz bhai?!!!:D

Star!!! No way.

[বাংলা]এই অধম বাংলাক্রিকেটের একজন অতি সাধারন মেম্বার, আমাদের ইউ কে (লন্ডন) মেম্বাররা অবশ্য তা ভাল করেই জানে। :)[/বাংলা]

left-hander
June 17, 2007, 01:22 PM
BC should try to get this published with Cricinfo so that the whole world can read the story!

sheikh
June 17, 2007, 02:02 PM
Wonderful. Thanks Mr. Miraz.

crikss
June 17, 2007, 02:04 PM
thx Miraz thx once again...what a treat...keep it up.....

Nocturnal
June 17, 2007, 03:37 PM
Great Job Miraz bhai. :)

Sillypoint
June 17, 2007, 03:57 PM
Nicely written!
I liked this part...

'Ashraful....Mohammad Ashraful' sounds like 'Bond....James Bond'

Miraz
June 17, 2007, 04:14 PM
Nicely written!
I liked this part...

'Ashraful....Mohammad Ashraful' sounds like 'Bond....James Bond'

Hahahaa..

Good observation :)

Never thought in that way during writing.

shovon13
June 17, 2007, 04:39 PM
ashraful is just plain nasty.

IanW
June 17, 2007, 05:11 PM
If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Ian Whitchurch

habfreak
June 17, 2007, 05:48 PM
BC should try to get this published with Cricinfo so that the whole world can read the story!
I agree!
great work Miraz bhai, I remember watching Ashraful at the Abahani Indoors...and thinking "Beta ei chikna shorire eto jor pai koi theke":D

kalpurush
June 17, 2007, 08:07 PM
If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Ian Whitchurch

Like our old Ian?!;)

kalpurush
June 17, 2007, 08:18 PM
Star!!! No way.

[বাংলা]এই অধম বাংলাক্রিকেটের একজন অতি সাধারন মেম্বার, আমাদের ইউ কে (লন্ডন) মেম্বাররা অবশ্য তা ভাল করেই জানে। :)[/বাংলা]

Ekjon oti osadharon member:
Miraz (http://banglacricket.com/alochona/member.php?u=2219) <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus -->http://banglacricket.com/alochona/images/BanglaCricket/statusicon/user_offline.gif <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_482956", true); </SCRIPT>
BanglaCricket Editor

Ekjon oti sadharon member:
kalpurush (http://banglacricket.com/alochona/member.php?u=1536) <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus -->http://banglacricket.com/alochona/images/BanglaCricket/statusicon/user_online.gif <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_483216", true); </SCRIPT>
Cricket Legend

...parthokko sada chukhe-o dekha jay!!!;)

PoorFan
June 18, 2007, 01:21 AM
Ash need few more success in coming days, this will be the best success story in BD sports. And I believe he can do it.

Good job Miraz again.

Miraz
June 18, 2007, 04:40 AM
Thanks to everyone for your appreciations. :)

Will definitely encourage me to write few more articles.

sunny747
June 18, 2007, 06:36 AM
outstanding.................really enjoyed it...

rupantor
June 18, 2007, 10:11 AM
Match day. Everyone in the field was very astonished to see the name a very young boy in the playing XI of Amarjyoti. After first 10 overs, Mahmud turned to the young prodigy. The umpire asked the name of the bowler, Ashraful….Mohammad Ashraful was the answer.

Just as thrilling as....Bond, James Bond.
Excellent Writting.

rupantor
June 18, 2007, 10:54 AM
2nd June 2007, Bangladesh Cricket Board appointed Mohammad Ashraful as Bangladesh captain. In the very first day of his glory, he returned to Sidhdheswary ground, the birth place of the cricketer Ashraful. The lean young boy, who waited for months with sincerity and dedication to get his first chance in the nets, went to the same field as the flag bearer of Bangladesh cricket.

This is the picture of the moment when just appointed Bangladesh Captain Ashraful returned to see childhood coach Wahidul Gani. He was given a guard of honor.

http://thedailystar.ws/2007/06/04/2007-06-04__sp01.jpg

Miraz
June 18, 2007, 10:55 AM
rupantor,
Many thanks for the pic. It really belongs to the article.

Zunaid
June 18, 2007, 10:58 AM
Now on the front page.

betaar
June 18, 2007, 02:32 PM
It’s good to see that this thread is growing in an ominous proportion in respect to Ashraful and his prodigious talent. The only thing I am afraid off is to see an Ash bashing thread after he fails in Sri Lanka series to live up to our expectations. Sorry for being pessimistic….

Tigers_eye
June 18, 2007, 02:36 PM
Nicely written. Thank you Miraz bhai.

damalChele
June 18, 2007, 03:01 PM
It’s good to see that this thread is growing in an ominous proportion in respect to Ashraful and his prodigious talent. The only thing I am afraid off is to see an Ash bashing thread after he fails in Sri Lanka series to live up to our expectations. Sorry for being pessimistic….

If you know your BD fans well then what you said is very realistic. I echoed the same thought around the time when he was appointed as the Captain. I read somewhere that his captaincy is only till September 2007, before 20-20 worldcup. (Some one correct me if I am wrong) Eevn if he fails miserably I hope BCB gives him another chance beyond September. I personally like his attitude on field. He will, in my mind, no doubt give his best shot.

Fazal
June 18, 2007, 03:19 PM
Very good read Miraz. The way he came, its a missed opportunity so far... still he have time to salvage his careerand make it from enormous talented to a great.

I am not a Ash fan nor a Ash basher (as some people thinks). And this is comming from me: I think the Captaincy is Ash's to keep beyond 2007 as long as he can do the following:

1. Keep performing (by example) in personal level in a more consistent basis. He does.'t need to score 200s, nor even 100s (even though it would be nice). He just need to score 35+ series average from now on. A 40+ series average would be great. That will give him some breathing room. And with his talent, its not too much to ask for.

2. By default he will not be any worst than bashar as captain. Just avoid major mistakes, he should be ok.

But the key is #1. An average of lower 20+ may not take him too far regardless of his enourmous talent, it will be hard to justify him as a captian ( a sure shot slot), if he cannot do his basic part i.e. score some decent runs. Remember bashar? His lack of form (rather than his defensive captaincy) was the main reason for his demise as a captain.

There is no room for a non-performing captain in the team for long.

Omio
June 18, 2007, 04:14 PM
Wonderful..Brilliant..

BangladeshFan
June 18, 2007, 04:59 PM
I used to travel regularly the road beside siddhesori ground during that time and probably heard that a 2nd division club practices there. never could have imagined a ball boy there will one day be the match winner against teams like Australia and SA:)

FagunerAgun
June 18, 2007, 06:36 PM
I was always against ASH for his inconsistancy but after reading this gem, I started feeling something...

Murad
June 18, 2007, 07:09 PM
1. Keep performing (by example) in personal level in a more consistent basis. He does.'t need to score 200s, nor even 100s (even though it would be nice). He just need to score 35+ series average from now on. A 40+ series average would be great. That will give him some breathing room. And with his talent, its not too much to ask for.

2. By default he will not be any worst than bashar as captain. Just avoid major mistakes, he should be ok.

But the key is #1. An average of lower 20+ may not take him too far regardless of his enourmous talent, it will be hard to justify him as a captian ( a sure shot slot), if he cannot do his basic part i.e. score some decent runs. Remember bashar? His lack of form (rather than his defensive captaincy) was the main reason for his demise as a captain.

i totally agree with you.. and i think we will see him scoring consistently...

kalpurush
June 18, 2007, 07:19 PM
This is the picture of the moment when just appointed Bangladesh Captain Ashraful returned to see childhood coach Wahidul Gani. He was given a guard of honor.

rupantor: Thanks for the pic!...I loved it!! My new avatar shows how much I ....:D

kaisermatin
June 18, 2007, 10:16 PM
Ashraful is amazing. Always reminds me of his scintillating performance at Natwest .
He brought Prestige to his team. Loves cricket and tries to learn cricket everyday. A great player. The picture says it all. Everybody respects him because he is the one who can deliver. Let us wish him success in his first endeavor as our team captain.

Electrequiem
June 18, 2007, 10:22 PM

Thank you so much for the picture, mate!

amethyst
June 18, 2007, 10:51 PM

Amazing!!

And now millions of people are looking up to him. Our captain Ashraful. Like I always say, amader ashar ful... Ashraful!! :flag:

ammark
June 20, 2007, 02:22 AM
Very good read Miraz. The way he came, its a missed opportunity so far... still he have time to salvage his careerand make it from enormous talented to a great.

I am not a Ash fan nor a Ash basher (as some people thinks). And this is comming from me: I think the Captaincy is Ash's to keep beyond 2007 as long as he can do the following:

Nice of you to point this out Fazal Bhai. Good post to bring us back to earth.

Great to see the article on Cricinfo front page too :)

Miraz
June 20, 2007, 08:25 AM
As it's already published at BanglaCricket and Cricinfo, Trigger_Ti and others can now share it in other forums.

Thanks.

Maleeha
June 20, 2007, 02:13 PM
Thanx 4 the article MIRAZ Bhai.loved it. i felt like cryin when i was readin the article.it makes me feel sooooooo proud.well best of luck for his SL tour.LOVE HIM.

GoldenAsif
June 22, 2007, 01:47 PM
Excellent article Miraz Bhai.

I just have to add that for most non-Bangladeshis, from what I see, Ashraful was our most exciting and impressive player. If I recall correctly (and I may be completely wrong) he was the only BD player in quite a few World Cup 11 squads chosen by pundits.

Maybe we can ask the non-BD posters here who they find as the most exciting and impressive BD player.

WarWolf
June 22, 2007, 06:49 PM
Ash is now not in top 5 searched players list in cricinfo. His position declined.

Miraz
June 22, 2007, 06:51 PM
Ash is now not in top 5 searched players list in cricinfo. His position declined.

The list always changes, you will hardly find a player consistently within top 5.

zainab
September 26, 2007, 08:17 PM
Thank you Miraz bhai for this beautiful and impressive piece of work.
I do not want to reiterate what I have written when I introduced myself. I have never been so emotionally involved in any cricketer's career as I have been with Ashrafuls's.
My story begins in Sri Lanka where I was living temporarily. I used to watch cricket matches when any team visited SL. Bangladesh was touring in 2001, so I decided to go and watch the test match, even though Bangladesh was having a hard time.
Imagine my amazement when I saw a little fella who I believed was not more than 16 yrs of age came to the crease. My first thought was that he was not going to survive the SL bowling attack. Anyhow Ashraful seemed quite calm and went about his innings very carefully. As I watched him, I could not believe that my heart was thumping and I was praying that this lad succeeds and that he survives the bowling.
As the overs ticked by, he seemed to gain confidence, and when he reached his fifty, the crowd began to applaud and started shouting- "Go Ashraful, go Ashraful," they wanted him to continue because he was playing brilliantly.
Ash began to bat as he was possessed, he came down the wicket and continuously hammered Murali, he was FEARLESS, and with the encouragement of the crowd, he gained more confidence. When he neared his century, the crowd began clapping, I was praying, and when he did reach it, the crowd jumped to their feet and gave him a rousing applaud. He looked so small, then it was announced that he was the youngest player to score a maiden test century. I could not believe that I had seen something of near genius from this little fella and there, I fell madly in love with Ashraful from that day. I could not follow his career very much because i had to live in different parts of the world, but am settled now in Canada, so am able to follow more carefully. He has disappointed me a lot, and the term "Prodigal Son" aptly describes him.
Anyhow, Inshallah, I hope to see him blossom as a better player and good captain.

BanCricFan
September 26, 2007, 11:39 PM
Zainab,
Nice story- a historical one- thanks for sharing with us! Ashraful is an amazing talent and hope he realize this and goes on to become one of the greats, insha-allah. He certainly has it in him! Just has to keep his feet well grounded and apply himself with diligence.

israr
September 27, 2007, 07:24 AM
Thank you Miraz bhai for this beautiful and impressive piece of work.
I do not want to reiterate what I have written when I introduced myself. I have never been so emotionally involved in any cricketer's career as I have been with Ashrafuls's.
My story begins in Sri Lanka where I was living temporarily. I used to watch cricket matches when any team visited SL. Bangladesh was touring in 2001, so I decided to go and watch the test match, even though Bangladesh was having a hard time.
Imagine my amazement when I saw a little fella who I believed was not more than 16 yrs of age came to the crease. My first thought was that he was not going to survive the SL bowling attack. Anyhow Ashraful seemed quite calm and went about his innings very carefully. As I watched him, I could not believe that my heart was thumping and I was praying that this lad succeeds and that he survives the bowling.
As the overs ticked by, he seemed to gain confidence, and when he reached his fifty, the crowd began to applaud and started shouting- "Go Ashraful, go Ashraful," they wanted him to continue because he was playing brilliantly.
Ash began to bat as he was possessed, he came down the wicket and continuously hammered Murali, he was FEARLESS, and with the encouragement of the crowd, he gained more confidence. When he neared his century, the crowd began clapping, I was praying, and when he did reach it, the crowd jumped to their feet and gave him a rousing applaud. He looked so small, then it was announced that he was the youngest player to score a maiden test century. I could not believe that I had seen something of near genius from this little fella and there, I fell madly in love with Ashraful from that day. I could not follow his career very much because i had to live in different parts of the world, but am settled now in Canada, so am able to follow more carefully. He has disappointed me a lot, and the term "Prodigal Son" aptly describes him.
Anyhow, Inshallah, I hope to see him blossom as a better player and good captain.

Cool brother! Always wanted to know from someone who watched that match to describe in brief the way Ashraful scored his first test century. Thanks a lot!

However, it was very disappointing when I was at my at my wit's end for searching that video of 'magic moment', when Ashraful sealed his name in history by becoming the youngest test centurion.

zainab
September 27, 2007, 08:40 AM
Cool brother! Always wanted to know from someone who watched that match to describe in brief the way Ashraful scored his first test century. Thanks a lot!

However, it was very disappointing when I was at my at my wit's end for searching that video of 'magic moment', when Ashraful sealed his name in history by becoming the youngest test centurion.

Israr, I am a female, very much involved in cricket, love the game.
I have been searching for a video too, I would love to watch it, but cant seem to find one on YOUTube. I dont know if anyone else have a video of that magical innings , they can post it. I am sure that the Bangladesh CB has a video of it.I wish I had a video camera at that time, never thought about it.
Anyhow, I have the memory of it, but wish i can see it again.
I saw his 100 against Australia, but I have the DVD of that match.

BangladeshFan
September 27, 2007, 09:48 AM
I think Ashraful lacks something which the great players have. Imagine, tendulkar at 16 was quite matured, he had the guts and in some of his innings (even before he reached 20), he carried his team through . Though I saw it once against West Indies in this 20-20 WC, at one stage, when the RR was in control, Ash calmed down aftab and also himself played more sedately. But this is the only time, I saw him using some sense.

I just hope, we get a batting coach, someone who can mold ash, aftab, junaed, nazim etc. It is extremely imp. Bd has the talent in that dept but needs to get the temperament right.

zainab
September 27, 2007, 02:27 PM
I agree, Ash is lacking caution and patience, he has all the makings of a great batsman, but his adrenalin takes over when he is batting., and he loses perspective. so many times I have been disappointed in him by his reckless battng, and the soft dismissals, he just seem to throw his wicket away. I just hope that he does not fall by the wayside because he does have natural batting talent, but cannot convert that talent into real performance. We have only managed to see his brilliance on a few occassions. Even the commentators remark about this, that we have not seen enough of him at the crease.
Each time i watch him bat, I pray that he makes a good score, but alas! he gets out so quickly.

layperson
September 27, 2007, 02:50 PM
Top stuff Miraz bhai !!!! It was a very good emotional read.

Kabir
September 27, 2007, 03:28 PM
Top stuff Miraz bhai !!!! It was a very good emotional read.

Knowing you so well, I think you cried after reading this piece. Man...I'm surprised you didn't cry in my wedding :lol:

layperson
September 27, 2007, 03:42 PM
Knowing you so well, I think you cried after reading this piece. Man...I'm surprised you didn't cry in my wedding :lol:

Hahahaha :floor: HOw many times have you seen me cry kabir ? Moreover how do you know I dint cry at your wedding?

I am saying this once again you are a very lucky person. :big_hug:

Omio
September 27, 2007, 05:49 PM
Hahahaha :floor: HOw many times have you seen me cry kabir ? Moreover how do you know I dint cry at your wedding?

I am saying this once again you are a very lucky person. :big_hug:
Shariar vai looking cool in his pic,:)

FaHiMa
September 27, 2007, 08:44 PM
aww..wow...waht a storry! =]

israr
September 29, 2007, 02:32 PM
Israr, I am a female, very much involved in cricket, love the game.

Shame on myself:sick:!
Sorry sis:-|, I guess I forgot that females follow cricket while I wrote that post.
The way you described Ash's maiden hundred, I was completely deceived.
Once again, I apologize sincerely for my mistake!

israr
September 29, 2007, 02:49 PM
I think Ashraful lacks something which the great players have. Imagine, tendulkar at 16 was quite matured, he had the guts and in some of his innings (even before he reached 20), he carried his team through .

I have already said it several times in many other threads about the main reason behind Ash's failure, and I don't want to elaborate this time. Don't compare Tendulkar with Ashraful, because the circumstances through which each of these cricketers commenced and progressed in their international career was completely different. I just want to say that, if our Ashraful would have been born and played as a cricketer of one of the 'established sides', you'd already see the gargantuan difference.

cricket_king
September 29, 2007, 06:02 PM
I have already said it several times in many other threads about the main reason behind Ash's failure, and I don't want to elaborate this time. Don't compare Tendulkar with Ashraful, because the circumstances through which each of these cricketers commenced and progressed in their international career was completely different. I just want to say that, if our Ashraful would have been born and played as a cricketer of one of the 'established sides', you'd already see the gargantuan difference.

Absolutely right. I remember Ian Chappel saying the same thing. Unfortunately he was stuck with us...

Lord AK
September 29, 2007, 06:27 PM
There was a similar article on Cricinfo. I actually think its got the same info. Good write their Miraz Uncle.

cricket_king
September 29, 2007, 06:59 PM
There was a similar article on Cricinfo. I actually think its got the same info. Good write their Miraz Uncle.

If you read the article on cricinfo, you'll see that the author is Miraz bhai. :)

Dhruvo
September 29, 2007, 06:59 PM
hehe,bhaiya that article was copied from our miraz bhaiya,but crickinfo took his permission before writing it so it is all miraz bhaiyas article.

balok
October 1, 2007, 04:48 AM
Nice story.

Fazal
October 9, 2007, 01:47 PM

Now that its being told, shouldn't the title be changed to...

cricket_king
October 9, 2007, 07:34 PM

Now that its being told, shouldn't the title be changed to...

Haha Fazal, was there any point in doing that? Or just getting attention? :smug:

Nafis_BD
October 9, 2007, 09:01 PM

Hehehe bhaiya kandar kotha bolchen?? Shahriyar bhaiya to hash chilo jokhon apnar picture tul chilo....... apnar mone nai??