PDA

View Full Version : Gavaskar a 'destructive' influence - Bishan Bedi

Miraz
June 17, 2007, 07:16 AM
India's recent drama is far from being over..

Here's the latest addition..

Gavaskar a 'destructive' influence - Bishan Bedi
Cricinfo staff
June 17, 2007
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="170"> <tbody><tr><td width="10"> http://img.cricinfo.com/spacer.gif
</td> <td class="photo"> http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/inline/content/current/image/195905.jpg
Bishan Bedi on Gavaskar: 'He's always liked power without accountability' <nobr>© Getty Images</nobr>
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"> <tbody><tr> </tr></tbody></table> </td></tr></tbody></table>
Bishan Singh Bedi, a former Indian captain, has delivered a scathing salvo against another, Sunil Gavaskar, in the wake of recent happenings in Indian cricket.
Bedi termed Gavaskar a "destructive" influence and felt he "always liked power without accountability". These comments come in the wake of Gavaskar criticising Dav Whatmore in one of his columns, despite being part of the committee that was to decide the next coach.
"Cricket circles had immense and blind respect for him [as a cricketer] and he successfully used this to ensure that board officials remained in awe of him," Bedi told Outlook, a weekly Indian magazine. "He wants the glamour, the position and if there are any financial gains so much the better ... but he does not want any accountability. He's always liked power without accountability."
Read full from Cricinfo (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/298297.html)

Sohel
June 17, 2007, 07:24 AM
excerpt:

"Bedi was critical of Gavaskar's role at the National Cricket Academy, where he was the director from 2001 to 2006. "I had a lot of time for his batting but never as a thought leader," said Bedi. "You tell me what his contribution has been. He is destructive, there is nothing positive. I remember the time I was called by the then NCA director Brijesh Patel, along with Erapalli Prasanna and VV Kumar, to train spinners there. We did not hear at all from NCA chairman Gavaskar before, during or after the camp. I also recall his presiding over a captains and coaches meeting where he gave me the impression that he was not even listening."

incredible to see these two still at it.

gatekeeper
June 17, 2007, 09:35 AM
excerpt:

"Bedi was critical of Gavaskar's role at the National Cricket Academy, where he was the director from 2001 to 2006. "I had a lot of time for his batting but never as a thought leader," said Bedi. "You tell me what his contribution has been. He is destructive, there is nothing positive. I remember the time I was called by the then NCA director Brijesh Patel, along with Erapalli Prasanna and VV Kumar, to train spinners there. We did not hear at all from NCA chairman Gavaskar before, during or after the camp. I also recall his presiding over a captains and coaches meeting where he gave me the impression that he was not even listening."

incredible to see these two still at it.

Their friction goes back years, started when they played together. Bedi's always been jealous of Gavaskar but he does have some points here.

Shafin
June 17, 2007, 09:58 AM
200% agree,Gavaskar has been a destructive influence not only on indian cricket,but on BD cricet also,whenever he got the chance,he tried to throw us out of the window.

Shafin
June 17, 2007, 10:01 AM
"I can't forget the time he once told a team meeting 'The day I stop thinking of money, I will stagnate'."

:D :D

Gavaskar has been embroiled in a few controversies in the last few years, one of them involving writing about how John Wright, India's former coach, was abused by the players only after Wright's term ended. More recently he suggested John Emburey as a candidate for the job of Indian coach despite the fact that his coaching credentials were less than impressive.

Booooooooooooooo Boooooooooooooooo Booooooooooooooooo

syzygy
June 17, 2007, 12:36 PM
well nothing new from BS Bedi. he is terribly lacking the media coverage and also bcci and punjab cricket association has made him an outcast. so the best way to get some attention is to lamblast gavaskar. he was also the biggest critic of dada when dada was at his peak form and opposed him from being the india captain. but i guess dada replied to bedi's critics with on field achievements. his criticisms are only to sensionalize matters to feed print media which he knows best (just like this one)!but frankly nowadays no one even bothers to reply to what bedi says, as he has lost his credibility as a critic big time!

Tintin
June 17, 2007, 12:53 PM
Bedi is a very knowledgable person but has a big ego and has absolutely no control over his tongue, and has a natural talent for saying the wrong things at the wrong time.

Add : BCCI could use him to train the spinners who are just below the Test level, but the chances are that he has few friends left in the admin circles. He was the person to whom spinners in India (and even Pakistan and people like Warne) went when they had a problem. He did extremely well as the coach of Delhi and Punjab even while quarelling with everyone around. It is sad to see him ruin himself this way.

Surfer
June 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
Bedi is a very knowledgable person but has a big ego and has absolutely no control over his tongue, and has a natural talent for saying the wrong things at the wrong time.

Add : BCCI could use him to train the spinners who are just below the Test level, but the chances are that he has few friends left in the admin circles. He was the person to whom spinners in India (and even Pakistan and people like Warne) went when they had a problem. He did extremely well as the coach of Delhi and Punjab even while quarelling with everyone around. It is sad to see him ruin himself this way.

Very well put. Bedi should learn how to speak to the media and should stop seeking attention the cheap way.

Beamer
June 18, 2007, 03:29 PM
Bedi is kinda like Sharfraz Nawaz of Pak, another loose cannon...

Fazal
June 18, 2007, 03:46 PM
Very well put. Bedi should learn how to speak to the media and should stop seeking attention the cheap way.

No ... no.... no.... Bedi is kind of fun to listen.... he is good for media... good for non-Inidan cricket Fans.... good for Gavasker haters.... what he talks has much more entertainment value than Gavasker..... and cricket is all about entertainment and mony now a days ... isn't it?

Kabir
June 18, 2007, 07:35 PM
No ... no.... no.... Bedi is kind of fun to listen.... he is good for media... good for non-Inidan cricket Fans.... good for Gavasker haters.... what he talks has much more entertainment value than Gavasker..... and cricket is all about entertainment and mony now a days ... isn't it?

:bravo:

Afterall, my mamoo :-*

Electrequiem
June 18, 2007, 07:49 PM

you bet :)

oracle
June 18, 2007, 07:54 PM
I think all of the ex- Indian players (and this could very well apply to other teams too) are getting too emotional. Also, they are not in the same situation as the new generation of players who face more lifestyle pressures, challenges off and on the field and of course competition.
I personally did not like the way Gavaskar imperiously treated Dav by pulling down his pants in front of the media. For all his decision and personal faults, Dav stuck by his word that he wanted to coach India- which I believe he is sincere about even though it is'nt good for us). The same cannot be said of Ford who I felt did not stand by his words.
Shastri and Gavaskar are two players who get too much attention in BCCI- I say get over it.

Nafis_BD
June 18, 2007, 08:04 PM
Ohh the drama!!! What's happening to BCCI and Indian cricket nowdays??

Electrequiem
June 18, 2007, 08:11 PM
Ohh the drama!!! What's happening to BCCI and Indian cricket nowdays??

Seems like hamesha "kuch kuch hota hai"

Nafis_BD
June 18, 2007, 08:13 PM
Seems like hamesha "kuch kuch hota hai"
HAHAHAHA:lol: :lol: nice one bhaiya!!!

One World
June 18, 2007, 08:25 PM
i never found kapil dev making comments that goes beyond the limits like gavaskar or bedi does. surprisingly among common fans he has a higher glamority than those two.

Sohel
June 19, 2007, 08:21 AM
BSB needs to take that long overdue chill pill ...

Surfer
June 19, 2007, 09:48 AM
i never found kapil dev making comments that goes beyond the limits like gavaskar or bedi does. surprisingly among common fans he has a higher glamority than those two.

Kapil Dev had a big mouth early on in his career. Then he learned to behave.

akabir77
June 19, 2007, 10:31 AM
I think all of the ex- Indian players (and this could very well apply to other teams too) are getting too emotional. Also, they are not in the same situation as the new generation of players who face more lifestyle pressures, challenges off and on the field and of course competition.
I personally did not like the way Gavaskar imperiously treated Dav by pulling down his pants in front of the media. For all his decision and personal faults, Dav stuck by his word that he wanted to coach India- which I believe he is sincere about even though it is'nt good for us). The same cannot be said of Ford who I felt did not stand by his words.
Shastri and Gavaskar are two players who get too much attention in BCCI- I say get over it.

agree 100%.

One World
June 19, 2007, 10:30 PM
The climactic act commenced on August 18 when a disillusioned Kapil in an interview to a news agency said ``If this is what I get for being a cricketer, I don't want to be part of it. I know I am clean. I have nothing to hide. The investigations will prove that. But I am finished with cricket. It is not worth it. I took on the job last year despite my heavy business commitments because I wanted to give something back to the game. I never shirked responsibility during my playing days and will not do so now. If they want me for one more year, then fine. I will do the job to the best of my ability. But after that I will have nothing to do with cricket.''

India always had problem with coaches, either desi or foreign

A Cricketing Great Who Deserved A Better End (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/94296.html)

syzygy
June 19, 2007, 10:51 PM
The climactic act commenced on August 18 when a disillusioned Kapil in an interview to a news agency said ``If this is what I get for being a cricketer, I don't want to be part of it. I know I am clean. I have nothing to hide. The investigations will prove that. But I am finished with cricket. It is not worth it. I took on the job last year despite my heavy business commitments because I wanted to give something back to the game. I never shirked responsibility during my playing days and will not do so now. If they want me for one more year, then fine. I will do the job to the best of my ability. But after that I will have nothing to do with cricket.''

India always had problem with coaches, either desi or foreign

A Cricketing Great Who Deserved A Better End (http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/94296.html)

well kapil and gavaskar are always heroes in india and they will always remain so although there will be few crictics but they are largely outnumbered. kapil got his due respect when he was voted indias cricketer of century by people of india.
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/allrounder/content/story/276575.html
it is the match fixing incident involving Azharuddin which is so far the worst (black) days in indian cricket history and somehow kapils name got involved. azhar was later found guilty and got banned for life. however charges against kapil were baseless and he was found innocent.

Sovik
June 22, 2007, 03:23 PM
i like when those ego maniacs fight with each other

One World
June 24, 2007, 10:37 PM
"I can't forget the time he once told a team meeting - 'The day I stop thinking of money, I will stagnate'.".
Bishan Bedi on Sunil Gavaskar, his former Indian team-mate

Fight is still on.

Sovik
June 25, 2007, 06:01 PM
i am loving everyb bit of it. ponting Vs Gavaskar was really great

One World
June 25, 2007, 08:11 PM
I doubt Bishan had similar prospects as a commentrator like Gavu.