PDA

View Full Version : S Asia begins preparations for 2011 WC

Shafin
June 17, 2007, 04:00 PM
S Asia begins preparations for 2011 WC
Agence France-Presse . Bhurban

Top cricket officials from across South Asia will meet here Monday to launch preparations for the 2011 World Cup, which will mark the third time the tournament has been played in the region.
India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh (IPSB) will jointly hold the mega-event, with the opening ceremony to be held in the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka and the final due to take place in India.
Pakistan and India hosted the World Cup in 1987, while Sri Lanka did the honours in 1996.
Officials were expected to select a chairman for the organising committee, with Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) chairman Sharad Pawar likely to get the nod, Pakistan Cricket Board official Salim Altaf told AFP.
The committee’s operations are to be based in Lahore, said Altaf, a former fast bowler who is now the PCB’s director of special projects.
Officials were expected to discuss the possibility of shortening the World Cup, after criticism of the 47-day tournament held in the Caribbean three months ago.
“The final decision would come from the ICC but we can discuss every possible thing which could make the 2011 event attractive and acceptable,” said Altaf.
The quartet of South Asian countries was awarded hosting rights for the 2011 event at the expense of Australia and New Zealand, who will now run the event in 2015.

I wonder how many positions we will get,and who will be appointed.

source (http://www.newagebd.com/spt.html)

Electrequiem
June 17, 2007, 07:24 PM
And so the countdown begins ...

I wonder how many positions we will get,and who will be appointed

I will bawl if Shuvro Dev sings the official song (assuming there will be one)

rah
June 24, 2007, 06:19 AM
i wonder wot language will the oficial song be in

Bearman
June 24, 2007, 09:27 AM
I really hope they learn from 2007, not just the length of the tournament but ticket prices and restrictions on spectators as well.
I can just see the BCCI charging $30 for a Holland-New Zealand match and then being surprised when no one turns up.

gatekeeper
June 24, 2007, 09:43 AM
i wonder wot language will the oficial song be in

Good question, interesting observation.

There's only one common language-English.

Rabz
June 26, 2007, 05:38 AM
And so the countdown begins ...
I will bawl if Shuvro Dev sings the official song (assuming there will be one)

If Shuvro Dab Dab sings, that will be the beginning and the end of our world cup hosting.

Cricket Crazy
June 26, 2007, 06:37 AM
Himesh and Habib should sing. lol

Electrequiem
June 26, 2007, 10:28 AM
I think Abdul Kuddus Boyati should sing.

Surfer
June 26, 2007, 10:45 AM
Its our reputation at stake ....... south Asia should rock this world cup..