PDA

View Full Version : Hick reaches 40,000 first-class runs

MohammedC
June 18, 2007, 05:18 PM
Graeme Hick has become the 16th player to reach 40,000 first-class runs, passing the landmark during his 49 against Warwickshire. Hick adds another accolade to his career - and he is the first man to pass the milestone since Graham Gooch 13 years ago. "For someone who has achieved as much as he has in the game, to still have the drive, work ethic and hunger is great," said his captain Vikram Solanki. "It takes a particular type of character and personality to be able to do it. As a player, he is the ultimate professional. He is still in fine shape. He has always looked after himself, he is still fit, still works hard, probably harder than anyone else now. He is an amazing guy." Maybe the moment got to him, but Hick fell as soon as he had reached the landmark when he was caught behind off Dale Steyn. Nevertheless, Worcestershire moved to a 56-run lead when they were all out on the stroke of stumps at Edgbaston- thanks largely to Stephen Moore's 112 - as the game heads towards a draw.

CricInfo (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/298293.html)

This is not an easy task scoring 40000 runs. I do not why he did not live up to the expectation when he played for England.

Bancan
June 18, 2007, 10:10 PM
I still remember him playing. He is actually the first cricketer whos name i knew. congrats

Electrequiem
June 18, 2007, 10:27 PM
Great feat! Congrats!

Beamer
June 20, 2007, 12:55 PM
Once he was thought to be the saviour of English cricket. They fastracked his path to citizenship after he left Zimbabawe, only to flop big time in the intl scene and never got his place back in the England team. However, the achievement is truely remarkable and to make a crude analogy, he really is the Tushar Imran of English domestic scene.

sandpiper
June 20, 2007, 01:06 PM
He has gone nuts. still he is hanging there !!! :mad:

Bengaliprince176
June 21, 2007, 10:37 AM
Great achievement! him and ramprakash were the underachievers of english cricket in the 90s. imagine if they had been born 10 years later and had been properly utilsed in this generation. but still great achievement

Sovik
June 22, 2007, 03:22 PM
hick is an enigma