PDA

View Full Version : "Bangladesh will play tough and competitive cricket" - Shaun Williams

Miraz
June 19, 2007, 06:04 AM
Current Tour

Bangladesh in Sri Lanka, 2007
"Bangladesh will play tough and competitive cricket" - Shaun Williams
19 June 2007
Bangladesh under the leadership of newly appointed captain Mohammad Ashraful has vowed to play tough and competitive cricket in the upcoming Test series against Sri Lanka.
Bangladesh, a formidable one day outfit in one day international, are yet to play same level of cricket in the Test arena.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/images/read_art.gif Read the rest of the bulletin » (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/../html/tour.php)

SS
June 19, 2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks Mr. Miraz.
Good thing is the coach and 'few' players are thinking positive and will play competitive cricket(!). I hope they have practiced enough not to make the biggest mistake they do all the time of 'giving away their wickets' and 'not judging and playing according to the ball's merit'.
Good luck BD team, coaches, players and to all of us.

Sohel
June 19, 2007, 08:01 AM
Good report Miraz bhai -

Excerpts:

"Mohammad Ashraful in his maiden series as Bangladesh captain wants to improve the standard of cricket in every match they will play in Sri Lanka. "We want to extend every Test match to the fifth day," said Ashraful as his initial target for the Test series."

And ...

"Sri Lankan captain, Mahela Jayawardene, said his team will not take Bangladesh lightly and paid respect to the young Tigers who had a memorable world cup."

Eagerly looking forward to good test matches.

Tigers_eye
June 19, 2007, 08:59 AM
The way they disposed us in WC is still hurting. Any competition in any form of game would be a welcome change. The last three matches against them was hard to digest. Winning the toss and four session batting in the first innings that all I ask for in test # one.

Shafin
June 19, 2007, 09:01 AM
Hope the player will keep their level high,making us proud.And as SS pointed out, only if they can stop being Haji Mohsin on their wickets,we'll succeed.

Warlock
June 19, 2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks Miraz. Timely post.
Just keeping my fingers crossed...

al Furqaan
June 19, 2007, 09:09 AM
i think taking each test to the 4th day will be a, well into the 4th day, is a better goal (and achievable too).

10-11 sessions is what we should aim for against all teams, of course we should aim for 15 sessions/and or a win against a team like the windies.

Tiger Bhai
June 19, 2007, 09:18 AM
cricket have changed so much over Dav's periods, ''Shaun Williams'' seam to be the man we need, esspescialy the games are now more technical where they pre-plan using computr etc.. to find ones weak point!! shialeer bacha-ra (Eng) they hav been using this to us at all the time :(

-------------------
I STILL AWAIT FOR THAT DAY ''THE DAY OF ENG'S ROKTO DRIPING FROM THE HELMET!!

betaar
June 19, 2007, 10:49 AM
I know BD will play hard cricket for sure, but the question is for how long. Before each series we, fans, have high hopes and that increases exponentially after the first day or two. Eventually the euphoria dies down as <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=<st1:place w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:place></st1:country-region> tends to gradually get worse in each series. I hope I am wrong this time…..

oracle
June 19, 2007, 10:51 AM
The way they disposed us in WC is still hurting.

things will be different now.

SS
June 19, 2007, 11:18 AM
things will be different now.
Agree, but I hope we had more time on hand for preparation. As I mentioned earlier, I was so shocked to find out that batsmen got to bat only one hour in net which was not happening before!! And all these players do not even participate regularly in longer version league matches. How they will grow the temperment of playing test cricket if they are used to playing one-day version matches?

kalpurush
June 19, 2007, 11:24 AM
Agree, but I hope we had more time on hand for preparation. As I mentioned earlier, I was so shocked to find out that batsmen got to bat only one hour in net which was not happening before!! And all these players do not even participate regularly in longer version league matches. How they will grow the temperment of playing test cricket if they are used to playing one-day version matches?

Spot on!:-D

oracle
June 19, 2007, 11:34 AM

Well, I agree partly. But time spent at the net session is not the whole story. Remember, that the fitness level of the players is creeping up slowly (not as one hopes is ideal but nevertheless improving and on an upward curve). I think on the whole they will be more mature and when the time comes to sit down to analyze the situation- they wil be more prepared than before.

At least, they are not complete novices as was the case when Dav came( and in fact only 2 years ago)

Miraz
June 19, 2007, 12:27 PM
Bangladesh rested Rafique, Mashrafe and Mehrab Jr. for the practice match. SN and JO have to make the most of their opportunity in the practice match to have seal the spot in the Test squad.

Mehrab is already experienced with Sri Lankan condition as he played in the A team tour.

al Furqaan
June 19, 2007, 02:08 PM
good to see mash and rafiq getting much needed rest

Electrequiem
June 19, 2007, 02:14 PM
"Bangladesh will play tough and competitive cricket"
They BETTER.

And I just heard on the news ... Mahbubul Anam would be the ast. secretary of the World Cup 2011 Council.

Sadz
June 19, 2007, 02:16 PM
Nocely said,I think that Shaun Williams would make a great coach but I dont know if he is ready just yet. He already has begun saying "we" instead of saying "bangladesh" which shows his commitment. Hopefully we will do well in the test series this time.

damalChele
June 19, 2007, 03:16 PM
I hope our captain and coach don't make any statment like Ravi Sasri (sorry for the spelling).."no mercy for prisoners" or "watch out for the wounded tigers" lol

We fans absolutely agree with SW. We are not expecting to win the series but a good fight will win our hearts. Lose, but make sure you dont make it easy for your opponent. That is the only way we can improve. So spot on SW. Good going.

Protic
June 19, 2007, 09:13 PM
Like Ravi Shahstri said about HARD CRICKET.

mafizraju
June 19, 2007, 11:08 PM
I hope our captain and coach don't make any statment like Ravi Sasri (sorry for the spelling).."no mercy for prisoners" or "watch out for the wounded tigers" lol

We fans absolutely agree with SW. We are not expecting to win the series but a good fight will win our hearts. Lose, but make sure you dont make it easy for your opponent. That is the only way we can improve. So spot on SW. Good going.

Ravi actually said the following,
"we have come here to show no mercy because we take no prisoner"
which is completely different than what you quoted as. I hate ppl saying other ppls statement wrongly or inaccurately. It changes the whole meaning of the sentence, just like your case. If you dont remeber, either dont say it or just Google it. Its not Rocket science!!

Go_Bangladesh
June 19, 2007, 11:18 PM
shaun williams has shown all the right ingredients to be a great coach but like almost all sane members of this forum has said, it will be Bangladesh's performance in the test series especially that would determine whether he is a good coach or not.

damalChele
June 21, 2007, 03:31 PM
Ravi actually said the following,
"we have come here to show no mercy because we take no prisoner"
which is completely different than what you quoted as. I hate ppl saying other ppls statement wrongly or inaccurately. It changes the whole meaning of the sentence, just like your case. If you dont remeber, either dont say it or just Google it. Its not Rocket science!!

keep your hair on man. I dont have enough brain cells to remember exactly what he said. I couldn't care less if it bothers someone. all the regular members who were bashing Ravi for his qutoes will know what it meant. It's not like no one heard of it or anything. if you don't like it ignore it.

syzygy
June 25, 2007, 05:58 AM
i hope shaun did nt mean this as tough and competitve cricket...words really have no meaning unless one put it to act.

sar2005
June 25, 2007, 08:28 AM
Very tough stuff indeed!

pocha
June 25, 2007, 08:36 AM
chi chi...eyi hoilo tough cricket??? They should stop playing any cricket after the Sri Lankan series. Lets focus on soccer or some other sport. What a responsible innings from our over hyped captain and other senior players.Go to hell.

Orion
June 25, 2007, 08:50 AM
I am surprised people are not calling for Shaun's head yet considering the unpredictable nature of our fans. I am disappointed but not heartbroken. It is really difficult to play Sri Lanka in their home but I am sure a bright future awaits us..and hopefully with McInnes in charge.

cricket_pagol
June 25, 2007, 08:52 AM
I am hoping our batting performance will improve in the second innings, but the signs from the first innings are not positive :(

Baundule
June 25, 2007, 08:55 AM
It was clearly tough.
And for those, who missed the 'competitive' part, did not you see the competition among 'our star batsmen' to return to the pavilion?

Baundule
June 25, 2007, 08:57 AM
I am hoping our batting performance will improve in the second innings, but the signs from the first innings are not positive :(

Yes. I tell you, in the second innings, we will score 300+ and then forget all the shits happened in the first innings, just to repeat the same horrible stuffs in the matches to come. We have big problems in our attitude. Even the fans start to tag someone a great batsman, when scoring a paltry 30+ runs. And scoring a 50 makes someone comparable to the Don.

SS
June 25, 2007, 09:02 AM
aeishob thread gula lukano utich..lojja akon ki hobe shobai (not just Bd fans) look at this thread. please dont pull up this thread.

Electrequiem
June 25, 2007, 09:55 AM
"Joto boro mukh na toto boro kotha"-r perfect example.

One World
June 25, 2007, 11:45 PM
The team was very tough on the fans now lets see how competitive it gets from now on....

WarWolf
June 25, 2007, 11:52 PM
Come on guys. It was just one innings. Don't be so much upset. BTW you guys probably know in this ground Srilanka made a record against south africa last year, the highest partnership for any wicket. I am happy that BD didn't face anything like that.