PDA

View Full Version : Kenya hoping to stage Twenty20 warm-ups : Pakistan and Bangladesh interested

Miraz
June 19, 2007, 06:57 AM
A good move by Kenya and BCB is prompt to grab the opportunity.

Kenya hoping to stage Twenty20 warm-ups
Cricinfo staff
June 19, 2007
Cricket Kenya is hoping to stage some international Twenty20 matches in Nairobi in early September in the build-up to the Twenty20 World Championships in South Africa.
Samir Inamdar, Cricket Kenya's chairman, told Cricinfo that Pakistan had said they were very keen to play and Bangladesh were also interested. West Indies had also been invited but there is still speculation that they will play their warm-ups in Canada.
With the World Championships starting in the second week of September, a number of sides who are not overly familiar with the format are keen to get as much experience as possible.

From Cricinfo (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/kenya/content/story/298579.html)

Sohel
June 19, 2007, 07:46 AM
As much as I despise 20/20 ... this is a great idea. We actually have a chance to win the title once the right team is selected, and prepared through tournaments like this one. My 20/20 side:

1. Tamim Iqbal (Bat-Field).
2. Junaid Siddique (Bat-Field).
3. Shakib Al Hasan (Bat-Bowl-Field).
4. Md. Ashraful, Captain (Bat-Field-Bowl).
5. Alok Kapali (Bat-Field-Bowl).
6. Aftab Ahmed (Bat-Field-Bowl).
7. Mushfiqur Rahim (WK-Bat).
8. Mashrafe Bin Murtaza, Vice Captain (Bowl-Bat).
9. Md. Rafique (Bowl-Bat).
10. Tapash Baisya (Bowl-Bat).
11. Shahadat Hossain (Bowl).

12th Man: Abdur Razzak (Bowl-Field-Bat).

Reserves: Farhad Reza (Bat-Field-Bowl), Rajin Saleh (Bat-Field-Bowl), Nafees Iqbal (Bat-Field), Shahriar Nafees (Bat), and Dhiman Ghosh (Extra WK-Bat-Field-Bowl).

Shahriar Nafees should play against Kenya.

al Furqaan
June 19, 2007, 09:06 AM
20-20s are indeed a basterdized form of the game, and while we have our best shot at a title, we are still far behind other top teams. yes it levels the playing field and it would be nice to win, but whatever.

the good thing is that no target is too large for us with tamim, aftab, ash and mashrafee in our side.

on second thought, i guess we have had a top 4 20-20 side for a couple of years now.

Sohel
June 19, 2007, 09:13 AM
... on second thought, i guess we have had a top 4 20-20 side for a couple of years now.

Well observed bro ... :lol:

patriot
June 19, 2007, 09:46 AM

Razzak 12th man??...:o....He is by far the best spin bowler in 20-20.He along with Sreesanth and Agrakar are the only bowlers to bowl a maiden in 20-20.

Sohel
June 19, 2007, 09:49 AM
Razzak 12th man??...:o....He is by far the best spin bowler in 20-20.He along with Sreesanth and Agrakar are the only bowlers to bowl a maiden in 20-20.

20/20 "cricket" is all about batting, hence Tapash instead of Razz.

Tigers_eye
June 19, 2007, 10:08 AM
Good idea:
This would be my 11 for the Twenty/20

1. Nazmus Sadat (SLA)
2. Tamim Iqbal
3. Zunaid
4. Aftab (Medium pace if necessary)
5. Ash
6. Sakib (SLA)
7. Mushfiq
8. Mash
9. M Rafiq (SLA)
10. Abdur Razzak (SLA)
11. Rasel

For 10 and 11 I don't think batting is an issue. It is only a 20 over match. If the top 9 can't stick around that long then we would not win the match anyways. Bowling wise Both Abdur Razzak and Rasel are better than who ever is next in line. May be Farhad can get a chance if some one is injured.

This lineup has enough bowling options also.

akabir77
June 19, 2007, 10:22 AM
T_E i think we have another aggressive keeper and i would go with him but rest looks good... one thing to remember how we played against Australia in that WC match :(

sheikh
June 19, 2007, 10:40 AM
Good idea:
This would be my 11 for the Twenty/20

1. Nazmus Sadat (SLA)
2. Tamim Iqbal
3. Zunaid
4. Aftab (Medium pace if necessary)
5. Ash
6. Sakib (SLA)
7. Mushfiq
8. Mash
9. M Rafiq (SLA)
10. Abdur Razzak (SLA)
11. Rasel

For 20-20 u ll need another medium pacer. Two wont be enough IMO. So, may be N Sadat or Zunaid will lose his place to FARHAD.

Tigers_eye
June 19, 2007, 10:44 AM
T_E i think we have another aggressive keeper and i would go with him but rest looks good... one thing to remember how we played against Australia in that WC match :(
If i understand you correctly then we would be better off having Tushar as a keeper? Since we do not have a Twenty/20 league there is no reason to test another WK/batsman in place of Mushfiq at this point.

BTW, Mushfiq can have over 100 SR. The WC game against Australia (21 overs) he was doing fine. It was the other end that wasn't producing enough runs.

Tigers_eye
June 19, 2007, 10:45 AM
For 20-20 u ll need another medium pacer. Two wont be enough IMO. So, may be N Sadat or Zunaid will lose his place to FARHAD.
Aftab can five you the 2 overs as the third seamer. The two you mentioned are my two main corner stone players. I can't replace them.

akabir77
June 19, 2007, 10:48 AM
no i didn't mean tusher. there was another guy in NCL or some place did pretty well. who i think much better keeper than mushfiq and in 20-20 u don't need experience or dig in capability to get the team out of a hole or some thing, so i was thinking of picking him shagir or something...

sheikh
June 19, 2007, 10:51 AM
Aftab can five you the 2 overs as the third seamer. The two you mentioned are my two main corner stone players. I can't replace them.

It can be very costly two overs. In my team I ll fit FARHAD or TAPOSH as a third seamer, when it comes to 20-20. Otherwise, the team you picked is same as I would go with.

AsifTheManRahman
June 19, 2007, 10:57 AM

yeah, razzak should definitely play. i'm not too sure about taposh - the guy can sure bat, but he gets battered in odi's, let alone 20-20's.

AsifTheManRahman
June 19, 2007, 11:00 AM
no i didn't mean tusher. there was another guy in NCL or some place did pretty well. who i think much better keeper than mushfiq and in 20-20 u don't need experience or dig in capability to get the team out of a hole or some thing, so i was thinking of picking him shagir or something...

saghir hossain *could* just be a better option for a keeper.

Murad
June 19, 2007, 11:35 AM

whats that alok doin in ur 20/20 team?? hes not a hard hitter.. hes slow.... there are plenty of great stroke players in the academy/A team..

Miraz
June 19, 2007, 11:45 AM
whats that alok doin in ur 20/20 team?? hes not a hard hitter.. hes slow.... there are plenty of great stroke players in the academy/A team..

To give loppa ball or long hops during bowling. :)

If he is on song, he can strike the ball quite cleanly.

Murad
June 19, 2007, 11:57 AM
To give loppa ball or long hops during bowling. :)

If he is on song, he can strike the ball quite cleanly.

loppa ball?? oida abar kemon ball Miraz bhai??

the thin is IF hes on song.. but i never seen him on song.. everyone says hes so talented but never seen him showing his talent...

akabir77
June 19, 2007, 12:12 PM
Even in 3020 AD team shohel NR will still have kapali in his team...

Hatebreed
June 19, 2007, 12:14 PM
Good move by Kenya, and nice to see Pakistan is interested. Like it or not, we suck in 20/20 due to very little experience. So we should grab any opportunity to play warm-up matches ahead of the 20/20 WC.

sheikh
June 19, 2007, 12:15 PM

I am sure u have missed the bowling of Razz in the AFRO ASIA 20-20. If you have seen his bowling u can not overlook that Event. Should be given chance in your final 11 to make his performance a continuous Process.

Miraz
June 19, 2007, 12:16 PM
Like it or not, we suck in 20/20 due to very little experience. So we should grab any opportunity to play warm-up matches ahead of the 20/20 WC.

HB, how can you say that?

We played only one Twenty20 and won the match comprehensively. Our boys showed well for the Asia XI.

IMO, it's a bit overstatement.

Hatebreed
June 19, 2007, 12:22 PM
HB, how can you say that?

We played only one Twenty20 and won the match comprehensively. Our boys showed well for the Asia XI.

IMO, it's a bit overstatement.

That was against Zimbabwe, and I meant to say a shortened version of the game. We have a fighting chance by playing full 50 overs, but if overs are reduced then our inexperience to deal with the situation really shows up.

Oh and our boys did well, but they played with other top international players against a very lackluster African side.

Murad
June 19, 2007, 12:41 PM
That was against Zimbabwe, and I meant to say a shortened version of the game. We have a fighting chance by playing full 50 overs, but if overs are reduced then our inexperience to deal with the situation really shows up.

Oh and our boys did well, but they played with other top international players against a very lackluster African side.

you are right.. and i think if we play some warm up matches in kenya would help our team to understand the game...

Beamer
June 19, 2007, 12:50 PM
Good idea. Since we are participating, it is prudent to practice and practice well to learn the tricks. 20/20 sounds limited, but in reality, its a lot of overs and if we can learn to play it the right way with a fixed target on mind, it can help us to be better at 50 over games. Getting off to a flying start is all the difference between winning and losing one day games. Teams that do well in the initial 15 overs already gets a leg up when the restrictions are over and they can just milk the runs in the middle overs. Last eight-ten overs in ODI's are tricky. Sometimes you can add a lot of runs if you have wkts in hand or you can fall flat if you don't have enough batsmen by then. Its hit or miss trick really. In any case, 20/20 should help us to learn how to manage good run rates. Good showing in 20/20's will actually help us get better understanding of 50 over matches initial power play periods. We should approach it that way and make sure we play all 20 overs and a recgonized batsmen stay till the end.

My line up :
1 Tamim 2 SN ( won't lose faith in him yet. when in form, he can put away the bad balls as easily as anyone) 3 Aftab ( he plays in ODIs at no.3 and stays there ) 4 Ash ( I want him to play as many balls as he can and he can play reasonably well when the restrictions are over. yes..20/20 has field restrictions too ) 5 Sakib ( all rounder, sensible bat and will assume the role of the steady hand in case of collapse ) 6 Rahim 7 Mash 8 Rafiq 9 Raz 10 Rasel 11 Shahdat.

Hitters like Mash can be promoted if we already have a good score up and not many overs left. I am gonna go with one less batsmen. If the first five can't play 20 overs, its a losing cause anyway. You need more variety in bowlers as it is a batsmen's game,and we should go with three pacers, three spinners..

Tigers_eye
June 19, 2007, 01:00 PM
Nice analogy Beamer as always!!

But we are trying make our batsmen better test batsmen. Twenty/20 will have a negative impact for the entire cricket world (test). May be in near future they will do away with 5 day matches to 4 day matches who knows.

Murad
June 19, 2007, 01:03 PM
man.. i dont like this 20/20 game.. 50/50 is more fun to watch...

i think in near future we gonna see 10/10..

Sohel
June 19, 2007, 01:05 PM

He has talent, technique and the uncanny ability to change his game. Too many people continue to judge him based on his "failures" in the past. I've seen him play in the NCL and not too many #5s came anywhere close to his performance and numbers. Here are his recent, last 3 at bat from the NCL List A matches:

1. 101 runs from 77 balls, nine 4s, five 6s, SR of 131.16.

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/engine/match/267258.html

2. 114 runs from 125 balls, twelve 4s, three sixes, SR 91.20

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/engine/match/267251.html

3. 59 runs from 38 balls, six 4s, four 6s, SR 155.26

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/engine/match/267253.html

Still "slow" for you bro ?

Sohel
June 19, 2007, 01:08 PM
I am sure u have missed the bowling of Razz in the AFRO ASIA 20-20. If you have seen his bowling u can not overlook that Event. Should be given chance in your final 11 to make his performance a continuous Process.

Difference of opinion, I'd still go with Tapash's bat for a 20/20 match where containment is often futile. Comparing an ajaira media event such as the AA Cup, which I have seen BTW, with the 20/20 World Cup may not be the wisest thing one can do today.

Murad
June 19, 2007, 01:21 PM
He has talent, technique and the uncanny ability to change his game. Too many people continue to judge him based on his "failures" in the past. I've seen him play in the NCL and not too many #5s came anywhere close to his performance and numbers. Here are his recent, last 3 at bat from the NCL List A matches:

1. 101 runs from 77 balls, nine 4s, five 6s, SR of 131.16.

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/engine/match/267258.html

2. 114 runs from 125 balls, twelve 4s, three sixes, SR 91.20

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/engine/match/267251.html

3. 59 runs from 38 balls, six 4s, four 6s, SR 155.26

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/engine/match/267253.html

Still "slow" for you bro ?

yeap hes still slow for me.. brother sohel

hes too good for NCL but not for international cricket.. hes like tushar imran... does good in domestic league or in the A team..but when it comes to int'l cricket.. he sucks.. Alok also sucks in international cricket..

anywayz.. i dont wanna argue with you.. as hes not coming to national team in near future.. so i don't have to worry abt it..

Beamer
June 19, 2007, 01:39 PM
Alok is my extra batsman in the 20/20 team if we go with six batsmen, and he will be pencilled in at no.6. Bowling and superior fielding is another added bonus.

Some people have this incurable preconcieved negative attitude towards Alok that defies reason. I always thought he faded away not becasue of his lack of abilities, but mentally he suffered, because of undue pressure put on him. He was shuffled up and down the order with scant regard and he broke. Now, he has been out for a while and did what we always say, 'get your form back playing in domestic games', which he did, and still he managed a non-call for the ODI team, in need of a batsman/allroudner at no.6.

mali007
June 19, 2007, 02:03 PM
Bangladesh should take the opportunity to play twenty20 in Kenya. BD is a formidable
team in this version as proved in the last Asia vs Africa match. In twenty20 we should
select hard hitting batsmen and economical strike bowlers. Razzak and Mashrafee bowled superbly in AfroAsian twenty20 match. Tamim was brilliant with the bat. Both Sakib and Mushfique are not hard hitter batsman. So, my line up for twenty20 are as follows :
1. Tamim
2. Zunaid
3. Aftab
4. Ashraful
5. Farhad
6. Mashrafee
7. Alok
8. Sagir(Wk.)
9. Rafique
10.Rasel
11. Razzak

Electrequiem
June 19, 2007, 02:07 PM
This 20-20 warm up is a really good idea. Kenyan cricket board also needs a financial boost to better organize themselves.

Protic
June 19, 2007, 09:15 PM
As much as I despise 20/20 ... this is a great idea. We actually have a chance to win the title once the right team is selected, and prepared through tournaments like this one. My 20/20 side:

1. Tamim Iqbal (Bat-Field).
2. Junaid Siddique (Bat-Field).
3. Shakib Al Hasan (Bat-Bowl-Field).
4. Md. Ashraful, Captain (Bat-Field-Bowl).
5. Alok Kapali (Bat-Field-Bowl).
6. Aftab Ahmed (Bat-Field-Bowl).
7. Mushfiqur Rahim (WK-Bat).
8. Mashrafe Bin Murtaza, Vice Captain (Bowl-Bat).
9. Md. Rafique (Bowl-Bat).
10. Tapash Baisya (Bowl-Bat).
11. Shahadat Hossain (Bowl).

Reserves: Farhad Reza (Bat-Field-Bowl), Rajin Saleh (Bat-Field-Bowl), Nafees Iqbal (Bat-Field), Shahriar Nafees (Bat), and Dhiman Ghosh (Extra WK-Bat-Field-Bowl).

Shahriar Nafees should play against Kenya.

Good team.. but Abdur Razzaks better than Rafique in a 20-20 match. So he should be in the playing XI..
SN and Junaid ..we can switch them around.

nfsunited
June 20, 2007, 12:40 AM
the subcontinantal sides has a little chance on SA's bouncy pitches

Shafin
June 20, 2007, 02:29 AM
Looks like Kenya is really trying to get into the big fold this time,Hope they succeed this time.

Sri Lanka A also keen for one-day series

India A agree to tour Kenya

Cricinfo staff

June 19, 2007

Cricket Kenya has confirmed that India A will tour Kenya in late July or early August to play two four-day matches as well as taking part in a one-day series which will involve at least one other country's A team.

The deal was brokered by Samir Inamdar, CK's chairman, while he was in India attending the Afro-Asia Cup. Indian board officials told him that they were keen to attract another side to ensure there was a high level of competition.

Sri Lanka have expressed an interest in visiting in August on their way home from England, although Pakistan have declined, explaining that their players have too many commitments. South Africa A are scheduled to tour Zimbabwe which rules both of those sides out, although India had indicated they were keen to have Zimbabwe take part.

Inamdar told Cricinfo that he had also written to the West Indies board suggesting that if their A team does go ahead with their tour of Zimbabwe then they might consider stopping in Kenya on their way home. If, however, the tour is cancelled, then he has still offered to host West Indies outright.

© Cricinfo

Sohel
June 20, 2007, 03:06 AM
Good team.. but Abdur Razzaks better than Rafique in a 20-20 match. So he should be in the playing XI..
SN and Junaid ..we can switch them around.

I'm partial to Rafique's bat, though you maybe right about Razzak's bowling in 20/20. I'm biased a bit like you are to Abir ... :)

Shafin
June 20, 2007, 06:33 AM
the subcontinantal sides has a little chance on SA's bouncy pitches
Ever saw Ash hook??
wait till you see one.
Ever saw Tamims offside sixes of bouncers?
I've never seen something like that.

cricman
June 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
Kenya will host a four-nation Twenty20 tournament as a warm-up for the inaugural world championships in South Africa in mid-September, cricket officials said on Wednesday. "We will make it a quadrangular tournament involving four national teams," Cricket Kenya chairman Samir Inamdar told AFP.

Pakistan and Bangladesh have confirmed their participation alongside hosts Kenya. The fourth nation in the tournament -- due to kick off in the last week of August -- has yet to be confirmed but Inamdar said it could be Sri Lanka.

The world Twenty20 championships, which will involve all ten test sides as well as qualifiers Kenya and Scotland, starts in South Africa on September 12.
Meanwhile the India "A" team will tour Kenya next month to play two four-day matches and two one-day games against Kenya.

http://www.supercricket.co.za/default.asp?id=219225&des=article&scat=supercricket/international

Miraz
June 20, 2007, 12:49 PM
Good news.

This will be valuable practice before the World Cup.

I think they will get the Twenty20 International status.

al Furqaan
June 20, 2007, 01:51 PM
Good news.

This will be valuable practice before the World Cup.

I think they will get the Twenty20 International status.

i think all the ODI status teams automatically have 20-20 status...its just that top sides wouldn't want to play official T20Is with bermuda