PDA

View Full Version : Dubai "super stadium" to open in January

Shafin
June 20, 2007, 08:23 AM
Dubai Sports City to host ODI in March

Dubai super stadium to open in January

Cricinfo staff

June 8, 2007

The Gulf News reports that the Dubai Sports City cricket stadium will open in January 2008 and the first international match could be as soon as March next year.

The 25,000-seater ground, which will be totally covered, features a roof that is able to withstand all weather patterns and even absorb dust storms and moisture and provide a cool atmosphere. The pitch will be suited to one-day cricket and soil and grass from different parts of the world are being experimented with.

A state-of-the-art lighting system known as the "ring of fire" will be introduced for the first time in a cricket stadium. Used widely in football and rugby, this removes the need for pylons, mounting the lights around the top of the stands.

As is the way with the modern game, the best facilities are reserved for corporate guests and the stadium features over 50 hospitality suites with a VIP lounge are being made. There will also be a VVIP box which can seat around 70 spectators. This box will have a separate entrance and a separate elevator.

The ICC Global Academy at the Dubai Sports City will have two oval grounds for local cricket teams to play matches. These grounds can also be used by county teams for pre-season matches.

© Cricinfo

source (http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/other/content/story/297352.html)

If only we could get one like that...

Shafin
June 20, 2007, 08:30 AM
more info at
http://realestate.theemiratesnetwork.com/developments/dubai/dubailand/dubai_sports_city.php

sadi
June 20, 2007, 12:27 PM
I always wondered why countries don't have stadiums with roof top which can seriously prevent most of the rain delays. Good to see Dubai taking initiative here. Looking forward to see the stadium.

radagast
June 20, 2007, 12:53 PM
A Domed Cricket Stadium!! Awesome!! No more delay, match cancellation because of Rain. But honestly.. does it even rain in Dubai? I thought it was a desert country. Oh wait, Dust storm. Got it.

Shafin
June 20, 2007, 01:27 PM
I'm more interested in the lighting,if it can be implemented successfully here,it can actually become a regular feature,the dome is still too expensive.

akabir77
June 20, 2007, 01:42 PM
the dome will have weired effect on swing balling.. i think australia tried it and didn't liked it... beside how much will it be if the ball hits the roof?

sandpiper
June 20, 2007, 02:07 PM
i guess it would be a deadball if the ball hits the roof

Nafi
June 20, 2007, 02:41 PM
i guess it would be a deadball if the ball hits the roof

Actually using virtual mechanics the computer decides if it is a six, if not called a six and is caught, it is OUT.

radagast
June 20, 2007, 02:56 PM
'Dubailand' aims to be Middle East Orlando (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070619/lf_afp/lifestyleuaetourismconstruction_070619042822)

Seesh.. Dubai is EXPLODING isn't it! Good for them! This article didn't mentiont he Stedium though. Well compare to their billion zillion dollar projects, I guess this stedium is 'Chuno Puti'! /:)

radagast
June 20, 2007, 03:03 PM
I'm more interested in the lighting,if it can be implemented successfully here,it can actually become a regular feature,the dome is still too expensive.

Good point about the lighting. But I guess Dubai has enough money to create a second sun INSIDE the stedium! For the rest of us its still match delayed and match cancellation =(

bourny3
June 20, 2007, 07:57 PM
They say the ring of fire isnt on any stadiums but the Telstra dome or Docklands in Melbourne Australia has that kind of lighting and it has hosted 3 or 4 ODIs.

BD-Shardul
June 21, 2007, 04:39 AM
I always wondered why countries don't have stadiums with roof top which can seriously prevent most of the rain delays. Good to see Dubai taking initiative here. Looking forward to see the stadium.

Rain delay Bhai? In middle east, rain is very rare. Only four or five days in during the winter.

Cricket Crazy
June 21, 2007, 05:08 AM
Can any1 post the picture of da stadium? im very eager to see it and i bet its so beautiful!

rah
June 22, 2007, 11:01 AM
pleaseanyone gotta a pic

Electrequiem
June 22, 2007, 10:18 PM
'Dubailand' aims to be Middle East Orlando (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070619/lf_afp/lifestyleuaetourismconstruction_070619042822)

Seesh.. Dubai is EXPLODING isn't it! Good for them! This article didn't mentiont he Stedium though. Well compare to their billion zillion dollar projects, I guess this stedium is 'Chuno Puti'! /:)

Orlando ... ahh, to me, it is UNMATCHED. Many of you may think I am exaggerating when I say that once one is within the charismatic and capriciously charming city of Orlando, they leave all their worldly woes behind, but I am not. It's a 4 hour drive from my place ... However, I have only been there 4 times. But my God, each time my passion was ignited anew.

radagast
June 26, 2007, 01:07 PM
Orlando ... ahh, to me, it is UNMATCHED. Many of you may think I am exaggerating when I say that once one is within the charismatic and capriciously charming city of Orlando, they leave all their worldly woes behind, but I am not. It's a 4 hour drive from my place ... However, I have only been there 4 times. But my God, each time my passion was ignited anew.

Orlando? Florida? Really? It was hot, humid and sticky when I visited! But then again, california spoiled me rotten.