PDA

View Full Version : Upul Tharanga ruled out of the first two Tests against Bangladesh

Miraz
June 21, 2007, 08:40 AM
This time friendly fire. Lasith Malinga ends Tharanga's appearance in the first two Tests
From Cricinfo. (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/slvbdesh/content/story/298996.html)

Ruled out of first two Tests against Bangladesh
Upul Tharanga suffers foot injury
Cricinfo staff
June 21, 2007
Upul Tharanga has been ruled out of the first two Tests against Bangladesh after injuring his foot in a practice session.
"Tharanga was hit on his foot by a Lasith Malinga delivery this morning", Kangadaran Mathivanan, the secretary of the Sri Lankan board told AFP.
Tharanga, the left handed opener, is now the second player to drop out of the original 15-man squad for the three-Tests after Marvan Atapattu, the former skipper, dropped out citing personal commitments.
Mathivanan added that Sri Lanka A team members Thilan Samaraweera, Michael Vandort and Jehan Mubarak, who are engaged in a three-day warm-up match against Bangladesh; are in line to take Tharanga's place.
Sri Lanka host Bangladesh for three Tests and three ODIs. The first Test begins in Colombo on June 25.

Tigers_eye
June 21, 2007, 08:50 AM
Now I am scared of Malinga. All this time I was like BD malinga'rey bash diya chaira dibey. Looks like he is up for it. Allah Allah Allah!!

On Tharanga, I hope he recovers soon.

Sohel
June 21, 2007, 09:01 AM
To echo Tiger's_eye-

Their bowlers, now a bit more জোশযুক্ত than before, look scarier than they did before Tharanga's unfortunate injury ... especially for crease hogs like Golla and Golla Jr. HARD CRICKET ahead ... Mashraful to the rescue?

Miraz
June 21, 2007, 09:16 AM
Sri Lanka have to start the Test series with a fresh opening pair. All three regular openers are missing. Tharanga, Jaya and Atapattu.

akabir77
June 21, 2007, 09:22 AM
Hope he recovers after bangladesh leaves the country in the mean time go malinga go get another good one in the net may be your captain...

al Furqaan
June 21, 2007, 11:21 AM
im gonna wait a while, before i jump on the bandwagon of a 5-4 pagla pacer...

Padosan
June 21, 2007, 11:27 AM
SL shld take disciplinary action against malinga for injuring tharanga and give him a 5 match ban :D

Nafi
June 21, 2007, 11:28 AM
BD batsman should play in steel boots now :lol:

BD-Shardul
June 21, 2007, 11:52 AM
Mark my Word: Without Tharanga and Atapattu, I now see a win on the card.

Nafi
June 21, 2007, 11:57 AM

Finally one optimistic post.

Miraz
June 21, 2007, 12:04 PM

To achieve that we have to first handle

Vaas, Malinga, Murali, Maharoof and Fernando.

:(

Thunder
June 21, 2007, 12:42 PM
The biggest threat to us is still Murali. If we dont lost wickets to vass or malinga it murali who is going to take wickets. Although he can be the greatest spinner in history, our players just dont match with him. /:)

rubel_18
June 21, 2007, 01:07 PM
Trust me guys SL are a vry gud team 4 a reason and that is they hav quite gud backup players and anyway their experienced and most important bowlers r der vaas, murali, fernando and malinga so we better hope for the best.

By da way my 100th post :D

Rifat
June 21, 2007, 01:16 PM

i have been saying it fro the past 2 /3 weeks that bangladesh is very capable of big big victories, the question is are they willing to do it and will it come soon enough?on the performing days of bangladesh when we are cheerful and focused we can beat any team even with top performers on the opponents side. when we beat south africa in the world cup, they were on form too and we were not and they had very powerful lineup...

Sohel
June 21, 2007, 01:48 PM

Love the optimism bro, really. But how do you suppose we'll deal with their formidable bowling?

wiseshah
June 21, 2007, 01:57 PM
good news. tharanga is out. my worst fear is chaminda vaas, he always destroy BD, specially in his dynamic first over

akabir77
June 21, 2007, 01:58 PM
r u guys talking about ODI or TEST? don't mix those two u will be hurt.

Beamer
June 21, 2007, 02:37 PM
Love the optimism bro, really. But how do you suppose we'll deal with their formidable bowling?

Oh.. how you say? We will deal with their bowling by not scoring ! That seems to be the prescription for success right now among a few astute members. Our batsmen need not worry about 8-9 fielders encircling them. Why would you push back fielders when the batsmen involved show no desire to bother the scorekeepers? We are so good mentally that we will occupy the crease for two days straight, despite fielders lurking close by like vultures, and stonewall the scorecard to 200 in 2 days...Thats how we do it...

cricketboy
June 21, 2007, 02:55 PM
To achieve that we have to first handle

Vaas, Malinga, Murali, Maharoof and Fernando.

:(

BEST BOWLING ATTACK IN THE WORLD!

Nafi
June 21, 2007, 03:19 PM
Oh.. how you say? We will deal with their bowling by not scoring ! That seems to be the prescription for success right now among a few astute members. Our batsmen need not worry about 8-9 fielders encircling them. Why would you push back fielders when the batsmen involved show no desire to bother the scorekeepers? We are so good mentally that we will occupy the crease for two days straight, despite fielders lurking close by like vultures, and stonewall the scorecard to 200 in 2 days...Thats how we do it...

Amen to that sarcasm!!!

al Furqaan
June 21, 2007, 07:13 PM
BD batsman should play in steel boots now :lol:

true, bashar at least couldn't run any poorer between wickets anyways.

MohammedC
June 22, 2007, 09:29 AM
Vandort to open in first Test
June 22, 2007
Michael Vandort, the Sri Lankan opener, will replace the injured Upul Tharanga for the first Test against Bangladesh which begins on June 25.
"The selectors have called up Vandort to take Tharanga's place for the first Test," Samantha Algama, Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) spokesman told AFP. "Tharanga's progress will be monitored closely to see when he will be fit to play." Tharanga suffered a hairline fracture in his right toe after being hit by a ball from Lasith Malinga during practice on Thursday.
Vandort, who averages 51.22 in six Tests, would open the batting with debutant Malinda Warnapura after Sanath Jayasuriya was rested and Marvan Atapattu opted out due to personal reasons. Vandort, who played his last Test in England in 2006, made 38 in the three-day tour match against the Bangladeshis which ended in a draw in Colombo.

Cricinfo (http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/slvbdesh/content/story/299268.html)

Against Bangladesh he has very decent record scoring at an average of 68.20 runs per innigs with 1 century and 2 half-century.

SS
June 22, 2007, 09:33 AM
Another addition to the nightmares.

Hyro
June 22, 2007, 09:56 AM
First of all...I highly doubt if Atapattu ever play cricket again... He has sprained 2 disks of his spine.. and his recent scuffle with the SL cricket chairman does not help... So forget about Marven

Tharanga is unfortunate.. He has a good record against u guys.. but a god sent chance for Michael Vandort.. he is a bit slow but a descent opening bat.. I thought they were going to bring back Thilan Samaraweera who is like the most boring batsmen in the world.. (Thank god for small mercies)

Guys.. look out for this guy- Malinda Warnapura.. so much hype..so much expectations in SL.. hope he delivers

WarWolf
June 22, 2007, 11:56 AM
First of all...I highly doubt if Atapattu ever play cricket again... He has sprained 2 disks of his spine.. and his recent scuffle with the SL cricket chairman does not help... So forget about Marven

Tharanga is unfortunate.. He has a good record against u guys.. but a god sent chance for Michael Vandort.. he is a bit slow but a descent opening bat.. I thought they were going to bring back Thilan Samaraweera who is like the most boring batsmen in the world.. (Thank god for small mercies)

Guys.. look out for this guy- Malinda Warnapura.. so much hype..so much expectations in SL.. hope he delivers
Welcome to BC.:-p

One World
June 22, 2007, 12:02 PM
Another addition to the nightmares.

I am thinking the opposite. Actually after so many changes and Mahela's frustration over Atapattu's absence presents us a team which is much reformatted from the worldcup finalist eleven. With half the team of new or irregular faces a tough time awaits in the field for Mahela to reign and guide. BD should try to make fruit out of this opportunity.

Hyro
June 22, 2007, 12:25 PM
Welcome to BC.:-p

Thanx.. I was here all during the World Cup (but didn't register) .. You guys were great..had so much fun here...(Remember when u guys won against India..This forum was going nuts... :lol:)

Love the way Ashraful play..remember his first test century against us...he played Murali awesomely that day... Also second favorite is your pacy Mortaza..But recently his performances are a bit below par.. Any reasons ?

Tigers_eye
June 22, 2007, 03:17 PM
Welcome Hyro to BC.

have they already announced the final 11 for the test? Is Bandara in? How about Chandana? They Torment BD when ever they get a chance. So just curious.

Sovik
June 22, 2007, 03:19 PM
malinga should have bowled few more deliveries to mahela, kumara and murali.

Omio
June 22, 2007, 04:38 PM
Tharanga is always perform aganist BD,
so very good news for us,

ammark
June 22, 2007, 04:47 PM
welcome to BC, Hyro. Enjoy your stay. Make sure you've read the forum rules and help us out if you face any trouble.

Omio
June 22, 2007, 06:18 PM
welcome to BC, Hyro. Enjoy your stay. Make sure you've read the forum rules and help us out if you face any trouble.
Congrats ammark as a mod,

WarWolf
June 22, 2007, 06:42 PM
It's nice to see you as mod. I hope we will find you posting as regular member just like before.

WarWolf
June 22, 2007, 06:43 PM
WIthout Jayasurya, Atapattu and Tharanga- this is the weakest possible Lankan batting line up.

cricket_king
June 22, 2007, 07:23 PM
YES!! AWESOME!! No Tharanga means no more hundreds from that pest.

ammark
June 22, 2007, 07:31 PM
YES!! AWESOME!! No Tharanga means no more hundreds from that pest.

now, now cricket_king. I know you're excited, but lets not call them names :)

Nafis_BD
June 22, 2007, 08:33 PM
Malinga is a threat to us I don't know if we can survive that!!!

Hyro
June 22, 2007, 09:29 PM
WIthout Jayasurya, Atapattu and Tharanga- this is the weakest possible Lankan batting line up.

Dont agree completely with you..

Jayasuriya didnt preform very well in the past few tests anyway...Look at his last 2 or 3 test series..low avgs.. I personally think Sana should retire from Tests and only play in one dayers...(He is still our best one day player)

Forget about Atapattu..his days are over if he doesn't resolve his stuff with the chairman..and even if he does, he will never get rid of his injury permanently..

Tharanga is unlucky as he does have a good record against Bangla. But he may come back in the 3rd test...If the series doesn't get washed out that is. Its raining like hell here (Even now as I'm typing this..its puring out here) and most of the matches are in Colombo right ?...so fingers crossed

Mahela is in awesome form.. Our best in form Batter at the moment

Sanga is doing extremely well in UK. He Avgs 69 in 3 matches with a 149 the last time I looked. So he will be coming to SL bringing that form with him.

Chamara Silva is also in Form. Avged 44+ in the World cup. He has only played 1 Test series in NZ in NZ (thats the last and the most resent test series we played) and he avged 70+ there..creamed Vitory..:-p

Dilshan is in ok form..he always scores about 30 or 40 something in quick time..and currently has been very consistent but gets out as soon as he scores a 50..

Now Malinda Warnapura is the guy every one is talking about here..he got in to the team by some awesome performances in the A team. He avged 107+ in the recent A Team tour in India...and he did brilliantly against Bangla A team as well..(sorry dont know the stats..but u can dig and see..because this guy can be a huge threat 2 u) If he gets a chance..I'm really looking forward to c him bat..

So yup..without Thanranga & Sana the batting is a bit weak..but not that weak...;)

Antora
June 22, 2007, 09:36 PM
Malinga is a threat to us I don't know if we can survive that!!!

oh dont you worry we'll survive!!! we're tigers remember?? (cof* cof*)

cricket_king
June 22, 2007, 10:36 PM
now, now cricket_king. I know you're excited, but lets not call them names :)

Ahh.....sorry my bad :(
He just always seems to score against us! It's so annoying! :mad:

Electrequiem
June 22, 2007, 10:41 PM

Done. Your words are now marked.

Sohel
June 23, 2007, 04:41 AM

:lol: ... dark like the way Eurotrash like their chocolate.