PDA

View Full Version : The 'Lara effect' of Ashraful: Benefactor or Malefactor?

israr
June 22, 2007, 10:03 AM
His name is already discernible amongst the most searched characters in Cricinfo, and Cricinfo observing the youngest test centurion’s rapid growing popularity promptly published Miraz’s latest article from Banglacricket on their website, knowing the subject ‘Ashraful’ is conspicuous to the cricket world of late. My above statements might sound pretentious about Ashraful, but there is no denying the fact about the all-time significant role our Ashraful played in beating the two superpowers of cricket, which were at their pinnacles during the time when vanquished by Bangladesh. His phenomenal 158* was a major turning point in Bangladesh cricket history according to my notion, as that innings convinced his other comrades of their concealed potential talent they were unaware of, and drove them for that famous win in Dhaka, which consequently led to the apparition of that ‘defeatist attitude’ vanish into thin air previously possessed by our players. For most of the glories and accolades achieved by Bangladesh in the past, Ashraful’s name stands out alone, which is unsurprising considering the gargantuan talent he’s blessed with.

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><st1:country-region w:st=<st1:place w:st=" /><st1:place w:st="on">Due to all these above factors, Ashraful's name has become inevitable when anything about Bangladesh</st1:place> cricket in the international arena is mentioned, and slowly, but surely, he’s starting to have that ‘Lara effect’ or ‘Tendulkar effect’. Whenever the name of West Indies or <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> is pronounced, the immediate response that pops into avid cricket followers’ minds are ‘Lara or Tendulkar’, cause of their mesmerizing effect they’ve had on their respective teams. The same is the case when anyone associates <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:place></st1:country-region> with Ashraful. However, by no means, I am comparing Ashraful with Lara or Tendulkar overhere. Ashraful for <st1:country-region w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:country-region> is what ‘Lara was for <st1:place w:st="on">West Indies</st1:place>’, well, not precisely, but heading towards that direction.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p>
<FONT face=Due to all these above factors, Ashraful’s name has become inevitable when anything about <st1:country-region w:st=" /><o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Trebuchet MS"><o:p></o:p>
<FONT face="Trebuchet MS">In my opinion, I am diffident to accept or see <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangladesh</st1:place></st1:country-region> heading into such kind of circumstances, as it was nicely put by one of the commentators in Cricinfo, “At present, Windies are better without Lara than with having him in their team. His cheap fall of wicket would dishearten his side and ‘enhearten’ the opposition to such an extent that before knowing it, Windies would have lost the game mentally.” In addition, our hopes are multiplied infinite times whenever Ashraful comes to the crease and takes his guard (come on, admit the fact; deep inside your heart, you know it!). The same feeling will go through the dressing room as well when Ashraful reaches a very high status as a batsman, and it’ll not at all benefit the Bangladeshi players when Ashraful’ll be out cheaply, and shall set the ‘panic button’, as seen so many times in the past with <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>, when Tendulkar got dismissed in crunch matches. Not only Bangladeshi media, but even the large network of cricket media is also responsible for the way they portray Ashraful, and this, in all probability, is likely to increase in future as our Ashraful matures and plays more match winning knocks in the future.
<FONT face="Trebuchet MS">We have not yet completely established ourselves as a test nation unlike the ‘top eight’, but are in the process of doing so, and in such a delicate phase, we can’t let the ‘Lara effect’ to occur with our cricket, as such enormous demand and pressure on a young person and that even captaining a side with hopes from a cricket fanatic nation can seriously affect Ashraful as well as indirectly upon the whole team in a negative way. It’s worth remembering that during Lara’s scintillating era, or even say for Tendulkar, they had other seniors and match winners in their team to look forward to, unlike Ashraful, who has to marshal an incredibly young bunch of developing cricketers seeking international exposure and experience under him, and that intensifies the burden on Ashraful much greater than what Lara or Tendulkar had to.
<FONT face="Trebuchet MS">To sum it up, I want to convey that even if this seems a minor point, the growing ‘Lara effect’ of Ashraful in the cricketing world can pose some problems in the long term of Bangladeshi cricket. What we as fans, can do, is to stop glorifying him more than the actual credit he deserves and to make sure we don’t cross the limits because our messages surely gets passed on to the cricketers. Other factors such as the media are uncontrollable, but we sincerely believe in Ashraful and have faith that he, as a captain, will fulfill his responsibility conscientiously and develop the mentality of our upcoming cricketers in a way that the entire team wouldn’t every time heavily depend or rely on our ‘little master’, hence eliminating the possible ‘Ashraful effect’ and ushering Bangladesh to a fruitful future. <o:p></o:p>

oracle
June 22, 2007, 10:09 AM
the growing ‘Lara effect’ of Ashraful in the cricketing world can pose some problems in the long term of Bangladeshi cricket.

Sorry, I find it a bit uncomfortable to equate Ash to a Lara effect or including Lara in the same sentence. But thanks a lot for focusing on the issue.

Tigers_eye
June 22, 2007, 10:17 AM
Sorry, I find it a bit uncomfortable to equate Ash to a Lara effect or including Lara in the same sentence. But thanks a lot for focusing on the issue.
Me too.

Non of the great ones mentioned had an average remotely close his in their early days. The inconsistancy is too much to put him in the same breathe among those. I wish him (Ash) all the best. May he become the best Ashraful that he can be and bring in more wins for BD, single handedly or with a team effort.

BD-Shardul
June 22, 2007, 10:21 AM
Eskander Bhai, you are right. It is no denying fact that Ash receives more credit than he deserves, especially in the BC forum.

rah
June 22, 2007, 10:43 AM
dat is tue ash is gettin alot more credit dan he deserves

israr
June 22, 2007, 10:57 AM
I guess Tigers_eye and oracle missed out on this statement in my post.

However, by no means, I am comparing Ashraful with Lara or Tendulkar overhere. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p>
<FONT face=Due to all these above factors, Ashraful’s name has become inevitable when anything about <st1:country-region w:st=" /><o:p></o:p>

Bros, I'd like to stress once again that in no way, I am trying to bring Ashraful in comparison with Lara. What I just want to explain that the effect which Ashraful is having on our short cricket history is becoming more similar to the effect which Lara had on Windies cricket. That's all. I have to be eccentric enough if I say Ashraful belongs to the same calibre as that of Lara.

al Furqaan
June 22, 2007, 11:02 AM
fellas, you guys are reading way to much into ash and lara being juxtaposed...

israr wasn't comparing ash to lara or tendu...he was just wondering about the burden of captaincy on him.

we need to have more self confidence and belief rather than constantly find a way to diminish our achievements. ash is no lara, but it doesn't need to be emphasized every time.

"Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Not even me."

- Will smith to his son, in The Pursuit of Happypness after telling him that he won't be good enough to play basketball all day long.

here is my version to BC members:

"Don't ever tell Ash, Aftab, SN, Saqib, Mash, Rajib, or Rafique that they can't be as great as Lara, Tendulkar, Mgrath, Akram, Warne, or Jaya."

Miraz
June 22, 2007, 11:03 AM
Good post Israr.

Ashraful is definitely the most celebrity player of Bangladesh side. He never allows anyone to stop talking about him despite his countless failures. He produces gem when everyone gets almost frustrated with him.

Hopefully captaincy will do the trick for the kid and one day he will become a true celebrity of cricket world.

oracle
June 22, 2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah. We should support Ash to the hilt even if he is no Lara.

betaar
June 22, 2007, 11:19 AM
Me too.

Non of the great ones mentioned had an average remotely close his in their early days. The inconsistancy is too much to put him in the same breathe among those. I wish him (Ash) all the best. May he become the best Ashraful that he can be and bring in more wins for BD, single handedly or with a team effort.

On the same note, none of the other Bangladeshi batsmen are anywhere close to the average of the team mates of those two legends, Lara and Tendulkar. So, technically Ashraful’s supremacy over the other BD players is in the same breadth, if not more, as Tendulkar’s or Lara’s was back in the days. Which also leads to me to say that Ash’s inning carries more weight to Bangladesh’s win then those 2 batsmen, in fact Lara was termed selfish at times, so was Tendulkar, to go more for individual glory than the team and would shine when the match (dead rubber) had no bearing to the series or the inning had no positive effect on the outcome of the match. Considering those factors, I think Ash had even greater effect in limited Bangladesh's success and I hope that trend changes for the sake of the well being of BD cricket.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/<o:p></o:p>
BTW – good write up Israr.<o:p></o:p>

betaar
June 22, 2007, 11:25 AM
Yeah. We should support Ash to the hilt even if he is no Lara.

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic but the point is not whether Ash is as great as Tendulakar or Lara, it's his influence or effect on the team that's in comparison here.

Beamer
June 22, 2007, 11:29 AM
I think Israr has some valid points. I don't think he is attempting to equate Ash with Lara from a quantitative stand point. His dismissals during a game gives one a sinking feeling,as if to say, all means are lost now. It is not a good thing if the team gets the simmilar feeling though. Latest vivid example was when he got out vs Ireland in the WC. However, we won vs India without needing him at all.

In a difficult, almost impossible situation, it is he who gives you that hope of achieving something extraordinary. That is beyond any doubt.

riad
June 22, 2007, 11:32 AM
Good post. I agree the concept of "lara-effect".

One World
June 22, 2007, 11:41 AM
This depndency on Ash's performance needs to fade away as more and more insertion of players like Tamim, Sakib, Mushfik. Good point.

oracle
June 22, 2007, 11:47 AM
am not sure if you are being sarcastic but the point is not whether Ash is as great as Tendulakar or Lara, it's his influence or effect on the team that's in comparison here.

no, i was not being sarcastic at all. But I kept my doubts about the "lara" effect theory ticking along because I honestly don't think fighters like Masrafee (or Rafique and let's include Razak to beef up the numbers) hangs around at the fags end of an innings to see if Ash scores a century in order to perform. Just my view.:)

israr
June 22, 2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks to all you guys, for grasping the main idea of my explanation. In the beginning, I was a bit sceptical about the replies I'd receive, but it's not so. Its good to know that we BC members are united, even in thinking!
Once again, thanks a lot.

shovon13
June 22, 2007, 05:50 PM
ash is 24. lara is retired. the article focuses on an issue that may become important once ash reaches that elite level, which he definitely can.

i do think the concern is a bit misplaced. nafees thinks he's a better batsman than ashraful, and i'm sure sakib would love to have his own match winning roles as well. a lot of our hope may rest on ashraful, but the team itself revolves around a core of 14 players - not one.

WarWolf
June 22, 2007, 06:54 PM
We all expect a lot from Ash, it's true. But we are in the process of building players like Tamim, Saqib and Mushfiq. In near future, Ash won't be our solitary soldier, he is have a lot of other good mates with him.

cricket_king
June 22, 2007, 07:18 PM
Nice article mate. I agree - let's not put ALL our faith in ashraful only. We have Tamim you know ;) (and the whole BD team :D)

Hatebreed
June 22, 2007, 10:58 PM
I don't think Ashraful suffers, or will suffer from this 'Lara' factor anytime soon. He might, if he was consistently the top contributor of our side. While these ocassional bursts of brilliance do inspire the team, for the most part everyone struggles and everyone has to work together. I think being a young captain of a young bunch of players should help Ashraful develop as a captain better than Lara was. Whether or not he becomes a great batsman like Lara (no he is not), is another thing.

The problem with WI is, a lot of their players think they are superstars and I dare say they don't display the same passion or dedication as Lara or our young tigers do. Their players depended on Lara as a batsmen, our players will look up to Ash as captain, there is a difference. We also don't suffer from the 'Superstar effect' like the Indian team, and I need not explain what that is.

Ashraful only just assumed his captaincy, we have to be more patient and not put him under scrutiny so quickly.

Sohel
June 23, 2007, 04:36 AM
israr- I enjoyed the article and the thought behind it. I rather like the phrase "the Lara effect". However, I have reasons to believe that in Ash's case we'll see a "Ponting or Mahela effect".

Disclaimer: I, Sohel NR, in no way implying that Mohammad Ashraful Matin is as great a captain or cricketer as Brian Charles Lara, Ricky Thomas Ponting or Denagamage Proboth Mahela de Silva Jayawardene ... YET.

selina
June 23, 2007, 10:13 AM
Very, very good post israr. I see your point, and Ash does seem to get a lot of credit sometimes for doing...............nothing.

But we still love him.:-D

Trigger_Tiger
June 23, 2007, 10:18 AM
Benefactor for both Bangladesh Cricket and Mohammad Ashraful.

Thunder
June 23, 2007, 11:15 AM
Ashraful for BD and Lara for WI just dont match..

The situation, the ability and the whole context is different by a mile.

West indies left their best time in the past and they are going through a time when everything about cricket in WI is declining and Lara was their only star. In WI every rising young stars are now interested in lucrative states basketball championship not in icc cricket world cup 2007.

Now comparing to that the whole concept about ours is different. We are just a rising asian team who is bound to as good as teams like Srilanka, Pakistan and India. Its true that our big sucesses came by the hands on Ashraful but only time will tell how many Ashraful we'll have in our team ie. Sakib, Tamim and others. :big_hug:

shovon13
June 23, 2007, 03:20 PM
Very, very good post israr. I see your point, and Ash does seem to get a lot of credit sometimes for doing...............nothing.

But we still love him.:-D

heh. i guess in your world nothing translates to winning the most matches for a country who doesn't get to win much.

here's a disclaimer of my own: ashraful is technically superior to ponting (to lara as well to a smaller extent - that jerky backlift may be aesthetically pleasing, but no cricket coach will teach you that). before you jump on my neck, study some tapes.

selina
June 23, 2007, 03:52 PM
heh. i guess in your world nothing translates to winning the most matches for a country who doesn't get to win much.

here's a disclaimer of my own: ashraful is technically superior to ponting (to lara as well to a smaller extent - that jerky backlift may be aesthetically pleasing, but no cricket coach will teach you that). before you jump on my neck, study some tapes.

No, no, no. You completely misunderstood me Shovon bhaiya. I'm not trying to say he hasn't won numerous matches for us and set records of his own. I'm trying to say that in the past it has happened many times, when we expect him to do something totally magnificent, things that only Ash can do, and then what does he do? He lets us down completely.

We know what he's capable of but sadly he only lives up to his talent once in a while. That's exactly why "Ashraful is like the two eids."

The reason I said "sometimes Ash gets credit for doing nothing" is because often Ash makes repetitive mistakes and does badly by his own standards, but seldom he can pull of something totally amazing that makes us forget all our complaints. :)

shovon13
June 24, 2007, 02:44 AM
No, no, no. You completely misunderstood me Shovon bhaiya. I'm not trying to say he hasn't won numerous matches for us and set records of his own. I'm trying to say that in the past it has happened many times, when we expect him to do something totally magnificent, things that only Ash can do, and then what does he do? He lets us down completely.

tell me something new. ash is ridiculously inconsistent - the sky is blue...so on and so forth. ash only gets credit for his good innings, not for the crap ones. he gets hated for those.

selina
June 24, 2007, 09:41 AM
Why should I tell you something new?
I just had to clear up the misunderstandings, and now I have.

No hard feelings. :)

shovon13
June 24, 2007, 04:55 PM
so i can learn something, instead of wasting my energy to find faults in your reasoning. its a waste because it seems to me you still think you're right.

hella hard feelings :(