PDA

View Full Version : The growth of cricket

miss_usa87
June 23, 2007, 12:05 AM
hi i am Riya!....i think the icc board should do something to grow this beautiful sport...i mean they can folow the marketing of the Nhl or the Nba" they are making billions of $ in revenue" + it is very popular

My best wishes to this wonderful sport of cricket

Antora
June 23, 2007, 12:12 AM
hi i am Riya!....i think the icc board should do something to grow this beautiful sport...i mean they can folow the marketing of the Nhl or the Nba" they are making billions of $ in revenue" + it is very popular

hi riya (apu) welcome to bc!!!!!!!

NHLFAN788
June 23, 2007, 12:29 AM
hi riya apu....i love cricket but i think no one cares abt it in north america and europe....they should come up with new marketing plan"NHL"is a great exemple.....they should also get better tv deal and should start promoting players.

ammark
June 23, 2007, 12:47 AM
Hi riya, welcome to BC. Enjoy your stay, and please get acquainted with the forums and forum rules (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=13312) :)

Orpheus
June 23, 2007, 01:10 AM
we can't even compete with India, the most populated country on earth that has no sporting abilities whatsoever, how you expect us to compete with the might US if they decide to take up the sport? Let's be glad for the sake of subcontinent, that cricket doesn't expand to athletic countries.

tiger_omar
June 23, 2007, 01:38 AM
The problem with cricket being successful in North America is that cricket matches are way too long for the liking of fast paces capitalist North Americans. Maybe 20/20 matches might be a success here, but unfortunatly I doubt that ODI's or Tests will ever be very popular in this part of the world. But I hope I'm wrong.

roi
June 23, 2007, 04:17 AM
I dont think Cricket will be popular in Europe and USA by aggressive marketing like NFL or NBL. Remember, sports is a culture and can be manipulated when you have some there but won't be easy when you have nothing there.
As Europe and USA has different lifestyle....i think we have some chance with middle east. Football is hugely popular...but still cricket has a chance to grow and get its position.

Slysaint
June 23, 2007, 04:25 AM

you must be kidding me about ICC following marketing plans of the NHL? just in case you didnt know, NHL has been losing money each and every year for the last decade or so, american teams, other than red wings, rangers, bruins, has been bleeding red ink, previously great blackhawks has been losing money for lil while now. Most teams cant even recoup their franchise fees.

Among canadian teams, only the leafs are stable (well stable is understatement, financial powerhouse), rest are treading red ink still or just above it, including the storied habs. (canadian problem is mostly attributed to the Canadian dollar when most teams were drowning in red, as the dollar hit 63 cents and languished around there for almost a decade) NHL cant even get a regular TV deal out in the states, ESPN has droped coverage and after the lockout had to settle for OLN (which no body watches) NBC when it covers the playoffs, often doesnt cover the games to its completion.

If ICC is to take lead from anyone in north america, it should from NFL, richest league in the whole world. starting franchise fee around 1 billion dollars.

Sohel
June 23, 2007, 04:58 AM
At this age of instant gratification, I don't reckon the ICC can do much to extend its appeal beyond the Commonwealth ghetto, no matter how 20/20-fied the game maybe diluted into. That said, the ghetto is HUGE with the second largest regional population in the world after China and Northeast Asia.

BD-Shardul
June 23, 2007, 05:10 AM
I am surprised to see that no one questioned why this thread is in Bangladesh Cricket forum. Even the moderator. :(

rubel_18
June 23, 2007, 05:42 AM

Hi Riya Apu welcome to BC hope that you will like your stay here and enjoy the moments of glory with the BD team with us:big_hug:

Surfer
June 23, 2007, 07:36 AM
we can't even compete with India, the most populated country on earth that has no sporting abilities whatsoever, how you expect us to compete with the might US if they decide to take up the sport? Let's be glad for the sake of subcontinent, that cricket doesn't expand to athletic countries.

You are praying against the growth of the game so that Bangladesh can do better? You couldnt have wished any worse for your own team.

israr
June 23, 2007, 07:52 AM

Look at the Kenyans, we whitewashed them both at home and away, and that even a team including the likes of Odoyo, Tikolo,who are easily the best players outside the test arena, and don't tell me that the Americans are more athletic than the Africans, especially the Kenyans. Look at the Olympics next time if you are not convinced.
Even if the whole of USA takes up this sport, it'd be a very long time until they can even compete with us and I doubt whether I'll be alive to see USA in a dominating postion over us in cricket.
To be ingenuous enough, your points don't make any sense to me, because all sports require different abilities, and being athletic alone is not enough to avouch anyone of being a good cricketer in future.

Nafi
June 23, 2007, 09:43 AM
You are praying against the growth of the game so that Bangladesh can do better? You couldnt have wished any worse for your own team.

He is either making a joke or something is wrong in his head.

NHLFAN788
June 23, 2007, 09:48 AM
you must be kidding me about ICC following marketing plans of the NHL? just in case you didnt know, NHL has been losing money each and every year for the last decade or so, american teams, other than red wings, rangers, bruins, has been bleeding red ink, previously great blackhawks has been losing money for lil while now. Most teams cant even recoup their franchise fees.

Among canadian teams, only the leafs are stable (well stable is understatement, financial powerhouse), rest are treading red ink still or just above it, including the storied habs. (canadian problem is mostly attributed to the Canadian dollar when most teams were drowning in red, as the dollar hit 63 cents and languished around there for almost a decade) NHL cant even get a regular TV deal out in the states, ESPN has droped coverage and after the lockout had to settle for OLN (which no body watches) NBC when it covers the playoffs, often doesnt cover the games to its completion.

If ICC is to take lead from anyone in north america, it should from NFL, richest league in the whole world. starting franchise fee around 1 billion dollars.

hey! jus t wanted to tell u that u got no clue abt wat u saying...after the lock-out "NHL" has been a big succes the net incomne after their return was 5.5m$ per team....this seson the leaugue will top close to 2.5 billion$ in revenue wich will bring each team abt 7.7m$ in operating income...nhl oprerating income will be the highest in the four major sports in north america"nhl,mlb,nfl,nba"..... and espn didnt drop the nhl.....nhl droped espn and btw they name is VERSUS! AND NOT oln!....thx u for reading and next time write something smarter!

--
NHLFAN, lets tone it down a little, alright? :) ...It wasnt necessary to start & end the post the way you did.

Ammar
- Mod

Trigger_Tiger
June 23, 2007, 09:55 AM
Look at the Kenyans, we whitewashed them both at home and away, and that even a team including the likes of Odoyo, Tikolo,who are easily the best players outside the test arena, and don't tell me that the Americans are more athletic than the Africans, especially the Kenyans. Look at the Olympics next time if you are not convinced.
Even if the whole of USA takes up this sport, it'd be a very long time until they can even compete with us and I doubt whether I'll be alive to see USA in a dominating postion over us in cricket.
To be ingenuous enough, your points don't make any sense to me, because all sports require different abilities, and being athletic alone is not enough to avouch anyone of being a good cricketer in future.

You are a little over board on that!

If you look closely, the USA team(s) is mostly full of Patels (need I say more?).

If it takes up the sport and the public embrace it with open arms, I would say give it just 7-10 years and they'd be right up there. And BTW, lets be frank here, people living in glass houses should not throw stones. USA aren't THAT BAD in the Olympics. They're better than us! In that aspect your statements hods a weak ground.

If the USA ever gets Cricket to be one of it's favorite games, BCCI would be second if not third or fourth (in terms of rich cricket boards) in the world far, far away from the USA.

BUT that is only IF!

That being said, I don't think it will ever be so vastly popular down here. Instant gratification is all people want and even a Twenty20 match here would be "Too Long" :rolleyes:!!!!!

israr
June 23, 2007, 01:00 PM
You are a little over board on that!

If you look closely, the USA team(s) is mostly full of Patels (need I say more?).

If it takes up the sport and the public embrace it with open arms, I would say give it just 7-10 years and they'd be right up there. And BTW, lets be frank here, people living in glass houses should not throw stones. USA aren't THAT BAD in the Olympics. They're better than us! In that aspect your statements hods a weak ground.

If the USA ever gets Cricket to be one of it's favorite games, BCCI would be second if not third or fourth (in terms of rich cricket boards) in the world far, far away from the USA.

BUT that is only IF!

That being said, I don't think it will ever be so vastly popular down here. Instant gratification is all people want and even a Twenty20 match here would be "Too Long" :rolleyes:!!!!!

You got it wrong my friend. I was never comparing Bangladesh with USA in the Olympics. In addition, I wasn't at all talking about the current USA team. I was saying that if cricket do gets a stronghold in USA, then the USA cricket team during that situation would comprise mainly of USA nationals, and they too would find it very difficult to join the elites, eventhough if their cricket board invests a lot this sport. The reason is cricket is a unique sport when compared to others, and unless if there are'nt any kind of cricket culture existing in a particular region, then it'd be very difficul for that particular nation to produce cricketers of international quality in a very quick period of time, even after cricket becomes very popular overthere. Hence USA falls in that category, and as a result, it'll take a considerable period of time before these people are able to grasp the technical aspects of the game. Whereas,this wouldn't be the case for Nepal. The best example is Bangladesh where football was miles ahead in popularity, but after Bangladesh tasted initial success in cricket, the growth and rapid rise of our cricket was phenomenal which consequently led to the demise of football in our country, because the cricket culture already existed in Bangladesh. That's the reasoan why I want cricket to pervade more in countries where there is potential talent and knowledge of cricket, that are just waiting for an oportunity.

One World
June 23, 2007, 08:55 PM
I do not see possibilities of spreading this game here in US soon enough.

Kabir
June 23, 2007, 09:14 PM
In Canada, cricket is growing quite fast I would say. The problem here isn't with land for cricket grounds, but the weahter for proper cricket.

I know a lot of people here know the sport, but have no interest due to the long hours that it's played for. That's one of the reasons why its growth in here is a bit slow. But with the rise of 20/20, I assume there will be people that will get interested in this game.

Don't forget that Canada is in the WC, which is completely due to the individual players who paid money from their pocket to play for so long, after which there have been associations formed and then they got selected for a team. It's like Bangladesh team back in the 80s/90s, except that they've got some good players and have the potential to grow into something better if the proper infrastructure is made. Now, whether that infrastructure will be made soon enough, that is a completely different question. And the answer to that, I'm afraid, is a big NO.

EIther way, there was never a lot of money for sports in Canada. But I see this sport expanding faster here than in US, simply because of the immigrant population who have the ability to legally play for the country.

rah
June 24, 2007, 06:14 AM
:bighug: hiya ruya apa
anyways i think a world club 20 20 championship should be held in america during their winmta, as der is base ball during da summa. icc should try gettin nike and otha companies in the sponsorship and have it telecasted, it wiould be a risk, but if popular fink of the profits icc will get

Bearman
June 24, 2007, 09:23 AM
People mention the USA too much when discussing the growth of Cricket. Let's concentrate on countries that actually have medium term potential like Nepal, Afghanistan, Ireland.

I suppose money is the main motivation, if cricket becomes popular in the US (an idea which I think is laughable, it won't happen) then Cricket as a whole becomes richer. But money isnt everything. Is Cricket in a better state necessarily because the BCCI is awash with cash compared to ten years ago?

Personally I would rather see 3 or 4 new 3rd world countries take to Cricket than the USA, regardless of their wealth.

indfan82
June 25, 2007, 05:27 AM
People mention the USA too much when discussing the growth of Cricket. Let's concentrate on countries that actually have medium term potential like Nepal, Afghanistan, Ireland.

I suppose money is the main motivation, if cricket becomes popular in the US (an idea which I think is laughable, it won't happen) then Cricket as a whole becomes richer. But money isnt everything. Is Cricket in a better state necessarily because the BCCI is awash with cash compared to ten years ago?

Personally I would rather see 3 or 4 new 3rd world countries take to Cricket than the USA, regardless of their wealth.
good post:smug:

P.Warner
June 25, 2007, 05:49 AM
As an ardent admirer of the cricketing culture and gamesmanship, I would tend to agree with most of what has been said here. It would indeed be good to have more established teams play in the one day format of the game. The likes of Canada and Bermuda can't possibly sustain the level of enthusiasm for a national league if the national team only gets a chance to play major international teams once every four years. With this in mind I would like to see more of the test playing teams touring the developing countries.

As for cricket finding any room in the American sporting calender the immediate prospects are bleak. Major league soccer hasn't really been able to make much headway into the psyche of the nation as American football and basketball are such money earners. Season sports like ice-hockey also dominates the airwaves. However, for cricket to succeed there needs to be a serious challenge to baseball, which would be the closest comparable sport. This would be difficult because there is such a sporting culture behind it. It is somehow seen as a very american sport that transcends race, cultural trends and wealth in how the young kid envisages emulating the legends of the game. In that, it is very similar to cricket. So how could cricket possibly succeed?

It could succeed in a limited manner amongst the immigrant population. The West Indians, Indians, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and expat English, Australian and South African could help to foster a growing culture amongst their children. However, there in lies another major problem. The immigrants prefer to play with their own rather than play mixed matches. A nephew who now works in the states had commented how often he has been to a public park and seen cricket being played in white except that all the players were of the same ethnic group. This needs to be changed. I appreciate that there are huge cultural differences between the Pakistani and Indian community and sporting rivalry often transcends far bigger political and religious differences, but for cricket to grow in USA all these groups needs to come together and work at the grass roots level in creating a unifying cricket board.

One World
June 25, 2007, 05:50 AM
good post:smug:

Really, O well. Money is not the driver of sport in the USA its people first but yes if people prove that they are ready to spend money then the businessman cashes in to sqeeze out the last penny out of it.

Tigers_eye
June 25, 2007, 03:28 PM
The way the game is moving soon there will be no 5 day matches. It will come down to 4 days.

Shafin
June 29, 2007, 10:50 AM
Doubt that,5 day cricket will stay as long as Ashes stays.