PDA

View Full Version : Gameplan for 1st Test

Rommel
June 23, 2007, 12:29 PM
I think the toss will be very important in this upcoming match. If we win the toss, we should try to show the patience we showed in the warmup match and bat 2 days without going allout. Since we don't know how to take singles, we should score around 360 and then declare. 180 overs is 2 days of play without rain plus a probable run rate of 2 runs an over equals 360 runs. After that it should take SriLanka about 1 1/2 days to score around 450 and declare. So after 3 1/2 days, we will only be behind by 90 runs. We then should bat with a little more aggrestion and get around 250 by the end of the first session on the 5th day. SriLanka would then need 161 runs to win from 2 sessions. Anything can happen from there. I know this is probably not going to happen but a guy can dream! Oh also if we lose the toss, we need to try to restrict SriLanka to less than 450 and put up a great first innings score to avoid the follow on.

rah
June 23, 2007, 12:38 PM
BABREH BABA. lets jus hope not goin all out in one day, da warm up second day was rained up. and us make 360 declared, lets not fink dat big now

shamster
June 23, 2007, 12:44 PM
I think its excellent that we have worked on our patience - lets this out in a test match. I would like to see us Bat (if wicket is good) and not get all out before end of play even if we score 250. Basically work on our temprament.

Rifat
June 23, 2007, 12:45 PM
i like your optimism but the truth is will bangladesh be able to bat like they did against srilanka A?

what's the worst that can happen if we bat first?

1.the worst that can happen is that sri lanka wins toss and sends us to bat ans we score below 100 all out. then they bat and score lets say 350+ and then we crumble like usual...

what is the 2nd worse that can happen: same as the last scenario but in the 2nd innings we score a blistering 250+ innings and barely manage to avoid innings defeat

the 3rd worse that can happen is we score around 200 all out. then sri lanka shows no mercy and scores 600 in just 2 days then we struggle from then on.

we should keep our feet on the ground and keep our head up regardless of what happens... the players should always say that i can and will do better than before.

the best that can happen to us is, no, i am not posting that now.

BD-Shardul
June 23, 2007, 02:02 PM
Our Gameplan should be like this (assuming that we win the toss and elect to bat first):

1. Bat for 5 sessions and score 375 @ 2.5/over.
2. Let SL bat for the last session of the second day and grab three or more quick wickets and leave SL in a position like 4-55.
3. IF (hopefully) Shahadat fire during first session on day 3, pick up two quick wkts and Rafiq-Razzaq-Mash take care of the tail, I think BD is capable of bundling SL out for 250 and take 150 runs lead.
4. We will then have to bat for 1.25 sessions (on day three), and that will be the deciding factor of the test match. We will have to try our best to preserve at least 6 wkts for fourth days play.
5. If we can score 225 in the second innings, SL will have to score 375 in the fourth innings to win, and it will be an uphill task for a team like SL too.

Finally ASH wins his first test as captain :-D

Electrequiem
June 23, 2007, 02:11 PM
Our Gameplan should be like this (assuming that we win the toss and elect to bat first):

2. Let SL bat for the last session of the second day and grab three or more quick wickets and leave SL in a position like 4-55.
3. IF (hopefully) Shahadat fire during first session on day 3, pick up two quick wkts and Rafiq-Razzaq-Mash take care of the tail, I think BD is capable of bundling SL out for 250 and take 150 runs lead.
4. We will then have to bat for 1.25 sessions (on day three), and that will be the deciding factor of the test match. We will have to try our best to preserve at least 6 wkts for fourth days play.
5. If we can score 225 in the second innings, SL will have to score 375 in the fourth innings to win, and it will be an uphill task for a team like SL too.

Hahah ... love the optimism mate.

MohammedC
June 23, 2007, 02:21 PM
1-Always play for a win
2-Always bat first if we win the toss (what ever the weather is like no would like to face murali in 4th innings)
3-Bat sensibly aginst Murali and Malinga
4-Keep Mashrafee fully fit.

IanW
June 23, 2007, 02:40 PM
Bat sensibly - be there for a long time, not a good time.

Bowl sensibly - keep it in the channel, dont bowl loose crap and use Shahadat in short bursts.

Field well - cut off singles, turn fours into threes and threes into twos.

If you win the toss, have a think about bowling and then bat first.

Pretty much the recepie people have been using to win Test matches for the last hundred and twenty odd years, really.

Ian Whitchurch

Sovik
June 23, 2007, 03:30 PM
don't throw away wickets.....

tiger_omar
June 23, 2007, 04:12 PM

Well said.

Ang HANG ON to the catches that comes in your way and get the run outs that you are able to get, PLEASE! GO Bangladesh GO :flag:

One World
June 23, 2007, 04:15 PM
Bat sensibly - be there for a long time, not a good time.

Bowl sensibly - keep it in the channel, dont bowl loose crap and use Shahadat in short bursts.

Field well - cut off singles, turn fours into threes and threes into twos.

If you win the toss, have a think about bowling and then bat first.

Pretty much the recepie people have been using to win Test matches for the last hundred and twenty odd years, really.

Ian Whitchurch

Priceless!

For everything else there is Mastercard.

nasimul
June 23, 2007, 04:22 PM
For our batsmen: patience, patience and only patience which our batsmen don´t have.

taklima_naj
June 23, 2007, 05:43 PM

I wonder when it will come true; if it is not in this series; hopefully near future
anyway thanks for showing the dream.

sadi
June 23, 2007, 05:49 PM
We are declaring after scoring 360? Lol. Now thats funny. Why would you declare after scoring only 360 and I will really surprised if we can get to that total in the first place.

Secondly, How about if we win the toss, we think about batting first. I think we have learnt our lesson already. I don't want to go back to the second test nightmare again. Doesn't matter whether its overcast condition or anything, you let Srilanka bat and they will simply murder us.

mhferdaus
June 23, 2007, 05:53 PM
Priceless!

For everything else there is Mastercard.

Is the name of our Master Card is Mashrafee Bin Murtaza? :D, may ALLAH bless him and all of us :D.

Anher
June 23, 2007, 06:50 PM
Game plan for first test??
I know you all are going to add lots of plan in this thread but will forget this. Let me add it..

Bangladesh team think about your Die hard Fan of Banglacricket site.

nahaz
June 23, 2007, 07:19 PM
I think we should definitely have 3 pacers. I won't back up any spin combo to get more than 5 Lanka wickets while applying pressure.Even Warne-Macgill wouldn't be able to do it together.That's why we need 3 pacers, with Sharif being the 3rd pacer.Imagine the Lankan Batsmen 3/20 after 12 overs on the first day (not impossible with Mashrafee and Rajib) but then we have to turn to spinners cause we don't have a genuine 3rd pacer.If Sharif is there on the other hand:-D .........Remember, pace-bowlers can't bowl long spells...<br>

Now the question would be how many spinners. Remembering sakib as an all-rounder and Ash as a part-timer we can do with either one of Rafique and Razzak.(Mind you rafique can't bat nowadays.)If we take both we'd have 5 batsmen+keeper and I pray it's Mushfique as keeper.

We need to bat first. I'd say start off like the practice match then increase momentum slowly after lunch. JO+Rajin is the best opening combo possible IMO.If Bashar(3) and Ash(4) can get set they'd look to score big.4/250 would be an okay score after day 1.Hopefully first innings we can score around 370,then bowl them out within 350 with 3 pacers.Then we'll work on it from there.

Rommel
June 23, 2007, 07:28 PM
agree 100% Nahaz Bhai.

nahaz
June 23, 2007, 07:47 PM
Thnx ro1249. Nice to know someone agrees with what you're thinking. <br>By the way,I hope to see Mehrab Jr bat sometime this series (he's from my high school:P)and hope SN gets his form back by the end of the series.I am very optimistic all of a sudden. Think we'd do well in this series.

One World
June 23, 2007, 08:51 PM
I think we should definitely have 3 pacers. I won't back up any spin combo to get more than 5 Lanka wickets while applying pressure.Even Warne-Macgill wouldn't be able to do it together.

Nice observation. Yes the one dimensional bowling of slow left arm spin needs to get revitalized and we should look for different talents in bowling department from national league. The approach is there and now is the time for selectors to concentrate so the similar vacuum is not felt during New Zealand series.

MohammedC
June 23, 2007, 09:47 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Murali looking for place in the sun

By M.Shamil Amit
Sri Lanka will have a new combination at the top when they take on Bangladesh in their first Test at the SSC grounds tomorrow. Since the pull out of veteran opener Marvan Atapattu and the injury to Upul Tharanga, newly drafted Michael Vandort is likely to open with the nephew of former Sri Lanka captain Bandula Warnapura – Malinda.
<TABLE cellPadding=3 width="15%" align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.sundaytimes.lk/070624/images/sp19-1.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD class=caption bgColor=#cccccc>Murali could well turn this into a happy hunting ground.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Malinda Warnapura who was featured with the Sri Lanka team in their off shore series against Pakistan is likely to make his Test debut tomorrow. Warnapura has a healthy 37.20 first class average with a highest score of 242 made against the Bangladesh ‘A’ team in an unofficial Test at the Colts Grounds.
<TABLE cellPadding=3 width="15%" align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.sundaytimes.lk/070624/images/sp19-2.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD class=caption bgColor=#cccccc>Malinda Warnapura and Michael Vandort will this be a new combination in Sri Lanka Cricket? Pix by Saman Kariyawasam</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The Sri Lankans have beaten the lowly placed Bangladeshis in the seven previous Tests between the two sides, winning four of them in fewer than three days and the remaining three early on the fourth morning.
Sri Lanka team manager Sriyan Samararatne commenting on the match preparations said “Besides the new opening combination we would have, the rest of the team is fit and eager to get on with the game. However the prevailing rainy conditions have hampered our preparations. We had a session of practices on Saturday and we will also have another session on Sunday morning. However the final Xl will be named once we have a look at the SSC wicket tomorrow morning”.
The most intriguing factor in this series will be whether the Sri Lankan champion spinner Muttiah Muralitharan will become the highest wicket taker in Test cricket history. So far Muralitharan has 674 wickets from 110 Test matches and is only 35 wickets behind the retired Australian leg spinner Shane Warne who bagged 708 wickets.
Bangladesh on their part have lost 40 of their 46 Test matches and has recorded only a solitary win against Zimbabwe in 1995, but, has shown more adaptation in the shorter version of the game. Adding to their woes, former skipper Habibul Bashar who led his team to an impressive World Cup quest, stepped down as the ODI skipper after their disastrous series against India last month, but was replaced entirely for the job with the appointment of twenty two year-old promising batsman Mohammed Ashraful.
<TABLE cellPadding=3 width="15%" align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.sundaytimes.lk/070624/images/sp19-3.jpg</TD></TR><TR><TD class=caption bgColor=#cccccc height=19>Malinda Warnapura</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>However how the visiting team is going to cope with the Sri Lankan attack that boasts of players of the calibre of Muralitharan, Chaminda Vaas and young unorthodox tear-away Lasith Malinga would be anyone’s guess.
Ashraful leading his side in a Test for the first time said that they would not be looking for win against Sri Lanka, but, they would look to stretch the home side as much as they could during the next five days. However Ashraful took a century off the Sri Lankan attack as a sixteen-year old way back in 2001.
Sri Lanka from: Mahela Jayawardena ( captain), Kumar Sangakkara ( vice captain), Chamara Silva, T.M. Dilshan, Prasanna Jayawardena, Chaminda Vaas, Farveez Maharoof, Muttiah Muralitharan, Lasith Malinga, Dilhara Fernando, Malinda Warnapura and Sujeewa Silva. Bangladesh from: Mohammed Ashraful (captain), Mashrafe Bin Mortaza( vice captain), Kazi Habibul Bashar, Javed Omar Belim, Mehrab Hossain, Shahriar Nafees Ahmed, Kahandaker Md. Rajin Salah Alam, Shakib Al Hasan, Kahled Mashud, Sahadat Hossain, Syed Rasel, Mohammed Sharif, Abdur Razak, Mohammed Rafique and Mushfiqur Rahim.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

MohammedC
June 23, 2007, 10:08 PM
Mods: Did not see any point to open a thread for the post above but if you think you should open a separate thread here is the Link (http://www.sundaytimes.lk/070624/Sports/sp213.html)

Kabir
June 23, 2007, 10:11 PM
Mods: Did not see any point to open a thread for the post above but if you think you should open a separate thread here is the Link (http://www.sundaytimes.lk/070624/Sports/sp213.html)

Bro, you did the right thing. This is the right place, I would say :)

By_jylk
June 24, 2007, 03:25 AM
I wish good luck to bangladesh cricket team.

Sri Lanka has an excellent record at home.Most teams struggled there.Though their teams batting strength is not that powerful now due to the absense of Jayasuriya,Marwan and Upul Tharanga best opening pairs they have.But do not take it easily.They other two appointed batsman played quite good against us in the warm up match.

I plead you please do not ball if you win the toss under any conditions.

And if you ball unfortuanately,

Use Mashrafee and Shahadat.Each ten overs
without break.Take wickets
Than use rafique,sharif,razzak.Each ten overs atleast.Take wickets
with break you can use ashraful.rajin saleh,mehrab to stop runs.

Weakness of sri lanka-

For first two overs play defensive.Than play aggresively.They than loose concentration.Also play with attacking attitude against murali.

Try as hard as you can to restrict them to 200 for all out.

This is because Murali will trouble you with his spin.
Use sweep shots against him.Very effective.

Lasith Malinga the speedster can confuse you with his slinging action.I hope you guys practised with people who ball like that otherwise deep trouble awaits you.He will mainly ball inswinging yorkers at 92mph!!!!

This is very useful

His weakness-When he balls a wicket taking delivery try to dissapoint him by defensive shots.
He will start to ball no balls and wide deliveries.So therefore try not to take runs of him and you will see the magic work.Try it!!

Chaminda Vaas-Known as master of swing.He can swing the bowl around the offstump and legstump.

His weakness-He cannot swing the ball on all surfaces.If he swings you can use drives and do not aim to hit it aerial routes.

ammark
June 24, 2007, 03:56 AM
I can see that we're all eagerly awaiting the game, but lets bring ourselves back to earth okay? no need to start intimidating the opponents with probable false promises :)

Sohel
June 24, 2007, 04:54 AM
I can see that we're all eagerly awaiting the game, but lets bring ourselves back to earth okay? no need to start intimidating the opponents with probable false promises :)

Right you are ... but I don't think our words actually intimidate them that much without the sticks and stones to back any of it up. People need to stop embarrassing themselves by thinking that that they need to make strange promises or dis somebody else in order to think positively ... just a harmless thought. :)

rah
June 24, 2007, 05:57 AM
We are declaring after scoring 360? Lol. Now thats funny. Why would you declare after scoring only 360 and I will really surprised if we can get to that total in the first place.

Secondly, How about if we win the toss, we think about batting first. I think we have learnt our lesson already. I don't want to go back to the second test nightmare again. Doesn't matter whether its overcast condition or anything, you let Srilanka bat and they will simply murder us.

well sed

mali007
June 24, 2007, 06:43 AM
Toss is a vital one. In this scorching heat if we win we should bat 1st. Our batsman should put their feet on ground with head down and each top order batsman should try
to stay on the crease atleast two hrs. -------- then we can bat for almost two days and can score around 400 !!!! That way we can make the 1st test draw !!!!

Ibrahim
June 24, 2007, 06:51 AM
Bangladesh cricket is entering in a new Era under the captaincy of Ashraful and there lots of reasons to be positive in this series against Sri Lanka. Young talented player can turn every impossible into possible. Best of luck.

auntu
June 24, 2007, 07:04 AM
no doubt SL will post a huge total in their first innings. it will be tough for bd openers to negotiate vas, malinga. habib no 3 ash no.4 then saleh and others. bowling bd should think strongly to check runs and bowl accordingly. so plan should b attacking with run check.
don't b too over confident.

Dhurr
June 24, 2007, 07:34 AM
It's test cricket, not the ODI stuff that you watch for instant gratification. Then why are you folks so worried (or even talking) about the run rate? Test cricket is about staying in the middle for as long as you can. A 300-ball century is much more valuable than a quickfire 35-ball 50. Our boys should try to stay out there for as long as they can; none of that nonsensical, whimsical stuff that you are used to seeing from the likes of Ashraful and Aftab.

Ian, concise and well said as always.

BangladeshFan
June 24, 2007, 07:39 AM
Bd batting lineup looks ok,
3. Bashar(looking to impress)
4. Ash(looking to impress as captain)
5. RAjin (looking to impress), I dont think he is better than Aftab, but selectors made a right choice there, Aftab needs a lesson
6.Sakib(young kid looking to impress)
7.Mushfiq(he almost won the battle with pilot, but should still be looking to impress)

With 5 players "looking to impress" mode, it is a hungry batting lineup. the question mark hangs over the openers SN and JO. I hope JO gets well, otherwise with mehrab it may be even weaker. I think selecting SN over Tamim was a mistake.... but lets hope SN proves me wrong.

Shahadat had success with Sl before and Mash, Rafiq is ever dependable. Raj will atleast be economical. The bowling lineup is not great but its not bad either.

hoping/dreaming a test win against Sl on their ground, yes mahela Bd will get you and give you a lesson:-|