PDA

View Full Version : Tactics Playing Murali

iqu15
June 25, 2007, 09:58 PM
At present, I guess our batsman would prefer to climb the Himalaya in the winter rather than playing Murali. Murali is always a big threat for any batsman in the world. You must have some specific plan to play Murali otherwise he will send you to the dressing room at no time.

It seems to me Murali is desperate to improve his record against Bangladesh!!! He is definitely taking his chance to get past Warne in this series. In the first innings, he spent only 7.5 overs to pick up only!! 5 wickets. It was also quite easy for him since the tail was open for him by grace our poor top order batsman.

Our team management was screaming about their very good training period before tour started. I don’t think so they had any specific planning playing the biggest threat Murali. You can not stay long in the crease if you don’t have any plan how to play Murali especially middle order/tail order batsman.

I have so many words to say but lack of time I can not share with you guys. Murali is really a champion off spinner. I also like Saqlain Mustaq but very sad he kept himself away from cricket. It is very difficult to play Murali not only just because of big turns but also his variations in flight, drift, length and pace. Another most important skill of Murali, he can read the batsman very quickly. Now he is more deadly dangerous as he mastered the doosra last 2/3 years.

From my of view, what I have seen about Murali and how the great players like Lara, Sachin played him, the first thing you have to look at the grips or delivery pattern of Murali to differentiate the normal off spin and doosra. It will eliminate 50% of your problem to play him. If you don’t do that, you will be always in dilemma how it will turn. The next strategy should be don’t let him turn the ball. I mean don’t play in the back foot unless it is too short. If you step little forward at the time of his delivery and find the in normal good length, just forward a bit more to reach the ball before it bounces. Murali will pick your this strategy very quickly and then he may drop it short of good length. In this case you can sweep him, again before it bounces or turns. You have work on it for perfection playing sweep shots. The advantage of stepping a bit forward just at the moment of his delivery will give you flexibility play forward or sweep. It is also advantageous to rock back to cut/pull if length is too short. If the length is too short and if you go back, the turn (offspin/doosra) he may produce will not a big threat as you will have ample time to adjust yourself even you foxed by the doosra.

But certainly our batsman should have specific plan in mind to play Murali and practise it very hard accordingly. Good batsman playing Murali now-a-days they focused on his delivery action to identify how it will turn.

One World
June 25, 2007, 10:36 PM
nice description!

PoorFan
June 25, 2007, 10:42 PM
I am sure our players will try hard to read all your points from top, only to find forgot everything at the time they finished.

Nice read btw.

betaar
June 25, 2007, 10:49 PM
It's easy to say what to do when you are not in the middle. Don't you think our batsmen know this? It's one thing to know what to do and another to do it.

It is hard to swallo, but the skill set of our batsmen are pretty limited, other then Ashraful and probably Mushi no one has all the shots in the book though they have the know how, so asking them to confront the spin wizard and then suceeding against him is asking too much.

iqu15
June 25, 2007, 11:12 PM
It's easy to say what to do when you are not in the middle. Don't you think our batsmen know this? It's one thing to know what to do and another to do it.

It is hard to swallo, but the skill set of our batsmen are pretty limited, other then Ashraful and probably Mushi no one has all the shots in the book though they have the know how, so asking them to confront the spin wizard and then suceeding against him is asking too much.

I know, it's easy to give advice when you are not in the middle. But these players are professional cricketers. They are not there for making fun and earn money without feeling any responsibility. If players from other countries can do it why oue players can not do it. Cricket is the most popular sport in our country at present and the players are high standard of facilities.It's their profession and they have to do their job properly. If they have the mind and work heart and soul; dont get selfish and play for the country they will be able do this. I have played cricket, if it were my profession certainly I would have done that. If you are unable to do that then you should leave the team, give up selfish attitude.

One World
June 25, 2007, 11:39 PM
...if it were my profession certainly I would have done that. If you are unable to do that then you should leave the team, give up selfish attitude....

Like your attitude!

zahid
June 26, 2007, 03:55 AM
Dude, u talk as if u have played against Murali! lol

Surfer
June 26, 2007, 05:42 AM
I like it. But I remember an interview with Sanjay Manjrekar in which he was giving some tips on how to play spin bowling. If you have followed Manjrekar's game in those old days, you would know that he was one technically perfect batsman. He was so obssessed with perfection that he eventually faced problems. But his wicket was a tough one....specifically for spinners.

Manjrekar said that reading the ball in the air is a much better idea than reading the finger movements of the spinner. He gave example of none other than Murali. He said, Murali can deceive you with his finger movements as his action while bowling the straight one and the wrong one is the same. But if you are in the habit of reading the spin in the air, you will not make too many mistakes in reading whats coming your way.

If I am not wrong, all Indian batsmen read the spinner in the air only.

Out of other things that Manjrekar said about Murali was: he deceives with flight more than with spin. Its very difficult to know where the ball is going to dip till the very last moment as his balls tend to drop quicker. Thats where most batsmen find themselves in a wrong position to play the ball.

Sovik
June 26, 2007, 05:49 AM
ask lara. manjrekar was a good batsman but he didn't get to play murali in murali's prime. our batsman are young. and they are terrified of murali. same thing happened to cullinan when he used to faced warne. our batsman has the ability to play him but they can't play him for psychological reasons too.

Surfer
June 26, 2007, 05:54 AM
ask lara. manjrekar was a good batsman but he didn't get to play murali in murali's prime. our batsman are young. and they are terrified of murali. same thing happened to cullinan when he used to faced warne. our batsman has the ability to play him but they can't play him for psychological reasons too.

You are right. Lara is the best person to ask. No one ever dominated Murali as much as he did.

Rubu
June 26, 2007, 07:28 AM
What I feel about playing murali is to go after him. Once the ball drops on the ground, it vanishes from the eyes of our players. So, just hit out down the wicket as long as you can. that would at least take the score past 100 :(

Sohel
June 26, 2007, 07:31 AM
Ask Lara, even Dada. Ash plays him well also, his problem is psychological endurance, which Murali never runs out of.

How not to play him? Defensively shelled inside the crease.

Sovik
June 26, 2007, 07:33 AM
take the attack to the opposition.

Sohel
June 26, 2007, 07:34 AM
What I feel about playing murali is to go after him. Once the ball drops on the ground, it vanishes from the eyes of our players. So, just hit out down the wicket as long as you can. that would at least take the score past 100 :(

Very true, but then again, just when you think that you have his flight all figured out, he hits you with pace and loop variations impossible to play against accurately.

Ak
June 26, 2007, 08:10 AM
No point trying.

sadi
June 26, 2007, 10:04 AM
Left handers seem to handle him a little better than the righties. Hopefully, next time when he comes in to bowl, we will still have Shahriar Nafees in the crease. Shahriar Nafees and Mohammad Ashraful are our best bet against Murali. Everyone else is quite clueless and terrorized by him.

Humbug
June 26, 2007, 10:12 AM
First of all they have got to survive the fast bowlers. What happened in the 1st innings was that by the time Murali came on to bowl the whole top order plus most of the middle was gone. So you didn't have your best batsmen facing Murali...... The lower half having to face Murali was always going to be a disaster.

ruja1810
June 26, 2007, 11:33 AM
Kano amader batsman ra kaheltay paray na murali jokhon bowl koray?
I thought that our batsman already did the homework (computer analyzing murali's bowling tactics) about how to handle Murali. It is time to bring Aftab and Tamim Iqbal back to the test match.