PDA

View Full Version : Day-2: Atleast they managed to claim possession of a tiny Battlefield in an already-devastated War-frontier

Ahmed_B
June 26, 2007, 11:16 AM
The farcical batting performance of the Tigers on the first day had already blown away all my interests of following the ongoing Test match in SSC ground. Even after having the luxury of a day off from work, I was least bothered about what was going on out there. When SL was 354/6, things could have looked better. But it did not and SL reached Tea steadily at 459/6 in 107 overs with an impressive overall rate of 4.29 RPO (Runs per over).

After Tea, they came out with clear signs of intentions to speed things up and went through the next 7 overs @ 5 RPO putting SL on 494 with Vass getting his half-century and Jayawardene at 82.

Drinks came out again on the field and surely with some instructions as well. But surprisingly enough, there were no declaration announcements even with the already huge-405 runs lead. So it was obvious that Jayawardene’s 100 would be the reason for Mahela to wait, and most likely he was instructed to pace himself up to that mark. Mahela must have had a target to put the weary BD side into bat for 10-15 overs in late afternoon and hit them mercilessly with Vaas-Malinga-Fernando fire.

Now this is where an interesting Battle started to build up for the first time in this fairly one-sided match. Jaya was pushing towards his 100 and all of a sudden the BD squad shifted from offensive to defensive mode. Even Bashar, added with the famous BD-spin trio started to pull back the SL scoring rate significantly. It took Jayawardene another 9 overs to score the 18 runs and get to his 100. SL was on 528 and BD had already pushed down SL’s scoring rate to @3.7 RPO for the last 9 overs.

Drinks came out again, surprisingly, instead of a declaration as soon as Jaya’s 100 was done. Standing on a mammoth lead of 439, Mahela had to re-consider and stand aside Vaas, who was already on 71, eyeing his maiden Test 100. But again, there must have been instructions for him as well, to make it quick, which was showed by the urgency on the very first delivery after the drinks.

But Bangladesh, by then, had already started to enjoy the tiny battle that has build up in the last session of the day. The first ever 5-spinner-gang of Bashar, Rafiq, Razzak, Saqib, Ashraful yet managed to keep SL down to a scoring rate @3.77 RPO. It took Vaas another 13 overs to get the remaining 29 runs and get his maiden Ton. Mahela’s declaration came immediately.

But by that time, Bangladesh had already won the tiny interesting Battle which formed in the last session. Mahela was left with just 3 overs to take a shot at the defenseless tigers after their whole day in the field. All he could do was try out his 3 bests: Vaas-Malinga-Murali by rotation in those three overs.

But BD had already earned the privilege of forgetting these useless 3 overs and come out fresh in the next morning just like the beginning of a new Test match. Lets just hope they make the best use of the opportunity.

mali007
June 26, 2007, 11:35 AM
The way SN sweep the last ball of the day , he still does not know when leave a ball or when to hit !!!

DJ Sahastra
June 26, 2007, 11:36 AM
Good read Ahmad Bhai.

But i am sure with 2 days to go, SL captain's priority was clear - let his two batsman get to a landmark that will only boost them. I am sure his instructions would've been "Get your centuries - you deserve it. we have ample time". Atleast if i was the captain, i would do that.

Probaly that tiny battle is in the minds of those who saw the game. If it was, it is a battle well won - some consolation.

Rubu
June 26, 2007, 11:39 AM
There is actually a very bright point in today's play. We did not loose a single wicket in T-H-R-E-E overs!

Thats an achievement to say the least.

akabir77
June 26, 2007, 11:41 AM
at last something positive...

Sadz
June 26, 2007, 12:17 PM
Interesting read, that just shows how much effort the bowlers put in at the beginning. If they gave the same amount of effort from start we would be in a much much better position.

MZaman
June 26, 2007, 12:18 PM
Also good to see Bashar bowled some good overs. Are we seeing an emergence of another allrounder?

akabir77
June 26, 2007, 12:47 PM
Also good to see Bashar bowled some good overs. Are we seeing an emergence of another allrounder?

BTW just saw the high lights he was given a wrong LBW decision. it was clearly going down the leg... i don't know why in every match the ump has to get it wrong against the bd batsmen? I don't see a single wrong decision against SL batsmen in 1st innings!!!

Ishtylish cricketer
June 26, 2007, 02:30 PM
Funny post.

Sovik
June 26, 2007, 02:40 PM
are you guys being optimistic or being sarcastic

Tigers_eye
June 26, 2007, 03:05 PM
There is actually a very bright point in today's play. We did not loose a single wicket in T-H-R-E-E overs!

Thats an achievement to say the least.
we were 28 for no loss in the first innings. then lost 10 wickets in 61 runs.

Sohel
June 26, 2007, 03:43 PM
AB-

After reading your well written thoughts, I asked myself: now why would he take the time to write what he has written? Then I remembered actually feeling better after your positive spin on today's event. This would make a good "this is my story" Adidas commercial.

Rubu
June 26, 2007, 03:47 PM
we were 28 for no loss in the first innings. then lost 10 wickets in 61 runs.
TE, it was supposed to be funny you know.

israr
June 26, 2007, 04:58 PM
Its good to always extract the positives rather than finding destructive negatives, but that doesn't mean we should'nt work on our negatives.

One World
June 26, 2007, 09:36 PM
Amd where did I hear post # 14, oh yes in business class.