PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Richard McIness

oracle
June 27, 2007, 06:52 AM
Members

I have been in touch with Richard McIness. We discussed a few issues and he has agreed to be interviewed. I have already compiled a preliminary question list. Your valuable inputs would be great. Any burning questions?

FYI(For new members information):Richard Mciness is one of the potential candidates for the next coach job.

Here is a link to the 2005 interview when he was U-19 coach. FYI

http://www.banglacricket.com/html/article.php?item=299

Thank you

Oracle

Aritro
June 27, 2007, 06:58 AM
How would he compare the talent he saw at the Australian academy with the boys he coached in Bangladesh?

sheikh
June 27, 2007, 07:11 AM
Will he be interested if a position of 'Assistant to the Head Coach' is offered to him?

Rubu
June 27, 2007, 07:14 AM
Here is what I have for him:

1: when working in Bangladesh what did he find as the biggest obstacle?
2: Many of his pupils at that time is in Bangladesh team now. Are they meeting his expectation? Or, are they being under performer? I would like the answer of this question from the prospective that we always do good in age group level, but straggle in senior level.
3: If he is to change one thing for Bangladesh test team, what that would be? It could be a player, a approach or anything else like Bangladesh pitches.

cricket_dorshok
June 27, 2007, 07:15 AM
As he is our coach for U-19 and A team, he might know that the biggest problem of our batsmen are short selection (playing according the merit of ball) and temperament. How will he help our boys to overcome these problems if he is offered the job.

cricket_pagol
June 27, 2007, 07:21 AM
1. I would like have his evaluation of current performance of all the former the u-19 players who are in the national team. What do they have to do to become a better player?

2. more insight about his job in the australian team, and what has he learned during that time to make him a better coach. I guess how has he developed since he left bangladesh.

BTW, thanks a lot oracle bhai!!!

Tintin
June 27, 2007, 07:35 AM
1. Why aren't the Bangladeshi batsmen growing up ? Even after four or five years, most of them still are immature in their batting and bat the way as a novice would. What will he about their attitude if he becomes the coach ?

Orion
June 27, 2007, 07:46 AM
1. Why aren't the Bangladeshi batsmen growing up ? Even after four or five years, most of them still are immature in their batting and bat the way as a novice would. What will he about their attitude if he becomes the coach ?

The problem is we dont have a strong first class competition in Bangladesh, but it is getting better and competitive by the day. The Australian U19 is far weaker than us but they grow up and fix their mistakes during their very tough and competitive domestic cricket. Then after a few years or a lot of years they show up and international level and play like pros. U can't expect the same from BD players who are thrown into the international level from U19s. I know its frustrating but the future is bright. So lets just cross our fingers and hope for the best.

Miraz
June 27, 2007, 08:03 AM
Great news Oracle bhai.

I want to know his vision to strengthen the domestic cricket of Bangladesh and how he is gonna approach the board about it.

Sadz
June 27, 2007, 08:34 AM
If you are to be the team manager, what are your main goals?

ahms
June 27, 2007, 08:40 AM
What are his goals (I mean phase by phase goals, not just one goal) in terms of Bangladesh national cricket team leading upto world cup 2011?

WarWolf
June 27, 2007, 08:50 AM
It's a great news.

"We all know the consistency problem of the bangladeshi batting line up. We got some excellent talented batsmen like Ashraful and Aftab whose inconsistency lies with their attitude towards the game. If you are given the role to be the man behind the screen, how would you try to solve the problem?"

Tigers_eye
June 27, 2007, 08:57 AM
1. How many months (Approximate) an international player (the young ones that we have) needs to stay away from international cricket (take a break)? Most of his young pups are married now. (All professional athletes take a break in a year)

2. Strength training is a must. Building muscles (legs) and becoming Symond is a must for the next generation cricketers. Would he make a program (Diet and exercise) (if he is the coach) for the boys in their off time?

2. Does he have plans visiting US? If so, I have an open invitation for him and his family. They can come and see the natural state of the United States.

3. The questions already put by other members about the domestic cricket.

aosaif
June 27, 2007, 09:03 AM
After tirelessly working in the nets on their batting and meticulously working out all their flaws, why is our batting still so brittle?

Ishtylish cricketer
June 27, 2007, 09:38 AM
What should be our realistic goals as a test nation for the next 2-3 years? It is a well known fact that our bowling deficiencies don't allow us to be competative against top nation, what will you do to better that? We can check runs in ODIs, in tests checking runs mean that we are on the back foot, can you develop a negative spinner or a bowler by extension into a world class bowler or does it have to come within you?

Farhad
June 27, 2007, 09:44 AM
The problem is we dont have a strong first class competition in Bangladesh, but it is getting better and competitive by the day. The Australian U19 is far weaker than us but they grow up and fix their mistakes during their very tough and competitive domestic cricket. Then after a few years or a lot of years they show up and international level and play like pros. U can't expect the same from BD players who are thrown into the international level from U19s. I know its frustrating but the future is bright. So lets just cross our fingers and hope for the best.

I dont know why people keep saying that. Aussie U-19 was weaker, but theyve got one of the best Under-19 sides around right now. Theyre almost as hard to beat as their older counterparts. Alistair De Winters comment about our boys being more talented than age-group players back in Australia should have been seen as a bigger compliment than it was. I think its got more to do with the facilities and coaching than their first class competitions (explains why their age-group players do almost as well), which is why we send players there to begin with, which is why the BCB are looking at Aussie coaches, which is why we need Richard Mciness.

As for my question, its:
Whats the top priority in fixing our batsmens flaws other than a fresh dose of confidence? Is it all mental, or is there a major problem with technique as well?

al Furqaan
June 27, 2007, 10:42 AM
obviously our batting is our weakspot. what approximate plan of attack does RI have in mind?

Fazal
June 27, 2007, 10:53 AM
Looks like some of our more established players are not learning from their mistakes (specially mental). Do you agree? How you plan to deal with that? Do you beleive in dog-house concept to tackle that or its counter-productive for this team?

Beamer
June 27, 2007, 12:21 PM
Why do you think you are best suited for the job compared to other potential candidates?

What can we expect different from you than say a Dav Whatmore?

LateCut
June 27, 2007, 12:30 PM
The Australian U19 is far weaker than us but they grow up and fix their mistakes during their very tough and competitive domestic cricket.

Nop! Our U19 are actually U25. That is why they appear to be sronger than aussies.

Ahmed_B
June 27, 2007, 12:39 PM
I would like to know RM's views about comparison between Bangladesh national and age group cricket structure and the same of AUS/ENG/IND/PAK/SL. Which way is BD structure likely to go in the future and which way it should?

Nocturnal
June 27, 2007, 01:34 PM
Nop! Our U19 are actually U25. That is why they appear to be sronger than aussies.

Not any more mate. You are talking about Durjoy-Rokon era. BD cricket has been changed a lot since our test status, all those old (non effective) system has been changed and now U-19 team comprise of only U-19 players.
My suggestion would be - please refrain this kind of comments before doing some homework. Thanks.

Duck
June 27, 2007, 06:33 PM
Why does he think he is best coach for BD team?

What is his main limitation, if any?

cricketboy
June 27, 2007, 07:09 PM
Does he believe BD should play more with the minnows to improve their skills?

RazabQ
June 28, 2007, 12:59 AM
How do we fix Enamul Jr? The tools are there for him to be our strike bowler but he seems to be losing his way.

PoorFan
June 28, 2007, 01:26 AM
1. How do you expect to see BD team performing after 2 and 4 years under your coaching.
2. Please put a mandatory condition in your contract, so that BCB hire batting and bowling coach for a year or two.

ammark
June 28, 2007, 01:36 AM
1. How do you expect to see BD team performing after 2 and 4 years under your coaching.
2. Please put a mandatory condition in your contract, so that BCB hire batting and bowling coach for a year or two.

2. Please put a mandatory condition in your contract, so that BCB hire batting and bowling coach of your recommendation for a year or two.

PoorFan
June 28, 2007, 01:42 AM
2. Please put a mandatory condition in your contract, so that BCB hire batting and bowling coach of your recommendation for a year or two.
<!--StartFragment -->Oops! there was a big flaw, thanks for correction.

jabbar
June 28, 2007, 01:56 AM
Firstly, great work oracle bhai! You are taking BC to the forefront of bangladesh cricket and making it the definitive source for BD cricket discussion and information. Well done to you and others such as Miraz bhai.

My questions for Richard:

1) Are you surprised that you have not been mentioned before for the coaching position and that it has taken so long for you to enter into BCB's discussions?

2) How do you intend to take the Bangladesh team forward?

3) What young (and old) players do you know of, other than the well known ones you have nurtured in the academy, that you feel should be eased into the national teams?

4) Do you have any specific, practical plans for improving the Test team because it is serious need of guidance and training -- physically, mentally and technically.

nahaz
June 29, 2007, 01:15 AM
Richard,
1.what do you think of our current tactics of three spinners in ODIs and tests? Do you think we should change it in tests and regularly have three pacers?
2. Do you think players with reputedly little temperaments or techniques should -
a.keep playing in the team.or
b. If not should they be mentored by him and the other top national coaches;or
c. Fix it on their own time and come back only after strong performances domesticallly?
3. Which positions (opening,middle order, pace,spin)does he think we need to try out new players in, as opposed to discarded ones? What's his philosophy on introducing and retaining new players?

Nahaz

Hatebreed
June 29, 2007, 02:42 AM
Bangladesh has made significant progress in one-day cricket, but their test success is a depressing story. We all know they need more time and experience, but some of their abysmal performance really knows no bounds. As a Performance Analyst, and also having worked with some of these players, what other reasons do you think may be behind this? If you become the coach, how will you deal with them and what do you hope to achieve in the next 2-3 years?

Fortuner
June 29, 2007, 07:22 AM
Bangldesh's biggest problem is the inability to find pacers similar to the stndrds of Mash, Rajib?
So, my question to Richard's wld b hw wld he plan to tackle this situation or wld he rply on spin attack like our selectrs?

Shafin
July 4, 2007, 10:21 AM
It's mentioned in the surfer news blog,and also is in the front page

Shafin
July 4, 2007, 10:25 AM
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/69dd7063b1.png

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/49de3cade2.png (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

al Furqaan
July 4, 2007, 10:27 AM
just wish BD cricket/BCB could pull their pants up as high as BC has *sigh*

Hatebreed
July 4, 2007, 10:42 AM
Why not post this in the interview thread (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=22554)?

reverse_swing
July 4, 2007, 10:47 AM
Merged.

Ahmed_B
July 5, 2007, 10:20 AM
There is a mention of this article in today's (July 05) Prothom-Alo match report by utpal shuvro.. the part where MacInnes mentioned that if the players just try to stick to the wicket without scoring... they will eventually get out. But interestingly, Utpal skipped the name of BC and mentioned is at "An article in a website" :)

WarWolf
July 5, 2007, 10:25 AM
There is a mention of this article in today's (July 05) Prothom-Alo match report by utpal shuvro.. the part where MacInnes mentioned that if the players just try to stick to the wicket without scoring... they will eventually get out.
That's what happened to Ash in the 2nd innings of 1st test.

Ehsan
July 5, 2007, 10:55 AM
But interestingly, Utpal skipped the name of BC and mentioned is at "An article in a website" :)

Sigh. Bangladeshi media still lacks the will to give credit where its due. Tsk Tsk.