PDA

View Full Version : First Test Day 4: Acid test for Shakib and Pilot?

Miraz
June 27, 2007, 09:50 AM
Much of Bangladesh's fate remains on how Shakib and Pilot performs tomorrow.

Shakib hasn't yet performed to the potential in the Test arena and Pilot is fading for years. Mehrab Jr. and Mushfiqur Rahim is waiting on the wings to grab their place in the very first opportunity.

Pilot vs Mushfiq is pretty much straightforward. A poor show tomorrow might saw the end of Khaled Mashud from the series whereas Shakib vs Mehrab Jr. will be interesting.

Both Shakib and Mehrab are similar players and offer similar strength to the team. IMO, Mehrab has got better technique for the longer version game. Considering Shakib's below par show in the matches he played, another poor show might give selectors some food for thought.

To be honest, I want to keep Shakib for the whole series regardless of his performance, but team management might want to explore available options.

I hope they realize the importance of tomorrow and play accordingly.

sandpiper
June 27, 2007, 09:55 AM
I hope Sakib will come up with a gritty performance, my prediction is 400. :)
In this regard, the first session is most important for us (morning shows the day ;) )

Electrequiem
June 27, 2007, 09:55 AM
I think Shakib should stay ... if he is decided to be left out based on his performance in the 3 tests he has played, then many other players should be considered for exclusion as well. But Mashud definitely needs to be replaced by Mushy, and the only way I can recant my words is if he pulls a magnificent innings tomorrow.

I have high hopes from Sakib. Hoping to see his maiden ton tomorrow, and BD avert innings defeat :)

Tigers_eye
June 27, 2007, 09:58 AM

To be honest, I want to keep Shakib for the whole series regardless of his performance, but team management might want to explore available options.

There are other options to accomodate Mehrab Jr.
Sakib plays the 2nd and 3rd test no matter what. He is the highest scorer in the first innings. If we want to bring in Mehrab Jr. (experiment) then we can do that on the third match where the series would already be sealed. May be SN, or even HB can make room for Mehrab Jr.

SS
June 27, 2007, 09:59 AM
acid test will be too difficult for rest of the remaining batsmen to pass.
Unfortunately, our top+middle order batsmen gave it away at the end of the day after such gritty performance. Four day will be just a formality to end the inevitable result. Unlike previous occasions, when tailenders were only hope, current tailenders might try but we have to understand they are mostly bowlers and did not even got the opportunity for batting practice like the top+middle orders.
I am hoping we can reduce our defeat margin 100 more runs. But the result will be as humiliating as the previous few bad test results.

Umar
June 27, 2007, 10:02 AM
They both should stay in the ground...and score 2 centuries... by only singles. Which is very impossible for a BDeshi Mentality!

WarWolf
June 27, 2007, 10:03 AM

I want Rahim in the team too as he is really a good player of spin. Whom can we drop to bring Rahim in?

Rommel
June 27, 2007, 10:06 AM
Not that I want rain but what is the weather forcast for Colombo?

Omio
June 27, 2007, 10:06 AM
We hope that they will hav at least 50+ partnership and that would help us "sonman jonok porajoy".

Rubu
June 27, 2007, 10:08 AM
If somehow, just somehow, they could bat for the day tomorrow and go past the 577 mark, it would be the best day of Bangladesh cricket to date. It will install the confident in the team of doing the seemingly impossible.

SS
June 27, 2007, 10:11 AM
I understand your dreams, expectations and hopes.
But reality says, the game will last max 30-35 overs tommorrow ending before lunch.
Ash and Rajin did wonderful jobs throught the day and totally changed the scenario of the match when they got out today.

sandpiper
June 27, 2007, 10:12 AM
it is forcasted to shower heavily on thursday :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=2136

Rommel
June 27, 2007, 10:13 AM
Does anyone know?

Rommel
June 27, 2007, 10:14 AM
oh sorry, I didn't see that post sandpiper.

Rommel
June 27, 2007, 10:18 AM
Wow, if the weather forcast holds up, this match might end in a draw. To all of you who say that we shouldn't pray for rain because we deserve to lose, I have to respond by saying we deserve a draw because we put ourselves in a position for it to rain the last 2 days because we survived Day 3 without going allout.

mla
June 27, 2007, 10:21 AM
Getting to day 4 is in itself an achievement given the first innings.

SS
June 27, 2007, 10:22 AM
Interesting ...players will be so much relieved not to give the acid test, reminds of old days when we used to pray for 'hortal' to take place so that exams get postponed.

Fazal
June 27, 2007, 10:25 AM
My feeling is: its a survival test for Pilot rather than Sakib.

However I have high hopes about Sakib.

I don't expect much from Pilot. Anything 10+ runs is a plus. He should just hold the other end as long as he can.

Tigers_eye
June 27, 2007, 10:25 AM
Just a question: What type of test is there for HB? He is averaging below ten in this series. Should he not be the focal point of these type of tests? His past performance don't speak much either.

Fazal
June 27, 2007, 10:28 AM
Just a question: What type of test is there for HB?

Prikkha Shesh. Result published. Failed in one subject.

Now He need to practice "preparation tests" so the he can appear next year's exam.

mali007
June 27, 2007, 10:31 AM
Sakib plays the 2nd and 3rd test no matter what. He is the highest scorer in the first innings. If we want to bring in Mehrab Jr. (experiment) then we can do that on the third match where the series would already be sealed. May be SN, or even HB can make room for Mehrab Jr.
I agree with you. We should keep Sakib for the whole series. I hope Sakib will keep his head down, very cool ------ the same temperament he showed against England in WC.
HB failed in the both innings , so Mehrab can replace him for the 2nd test. And Pilot's life line is this innings !!!

Nafi
June 27, 2007, 10:31 AM
They both should stay in the ground...and score 2 centuries... by only singles. Which is very impossible for a BDeshi Mentality!

You may think thats how test cricket should be played, but I certainly do not. L-)

betaar
June 27, 2007, 10:56 AM
Regardless of what Pilot does tomorrow, we should bring in Mushy, no point investing in a old horse.
Bashar should get another chance, if he does not pull through then Mehrab Jr. should come in for the 3rd test. Then Bahsar should be disposed for ever............

rah
June 27, 2007, 11:00 AM
sakib will stay, there are otha players in the team hoo can make by for mehrab, ie JO or SN

Fazal
June 27, 2007, 11:00 AM
I hope in 4th day suddenly acid doesn't become harmless liquid.

Even after 2 quick wickets at the end, we still have a very solid score (and tired opponent) to build on. I will be very disapointed, if we are bundled before the lunch.

Warlock
June 27, 2007, 11:09 AM
Saqib should aim for a 50. There is no point aiming at an impossible target from the very beginning. He should fix his eyes on getting a fifty first and hope that Pilot can hang in there and give him the support.
My expectation is a 350+ total score. Being dismissed for an under 300 score will destroy all the good work we have done today. To achieve 350+, the morning session is immensely important because if these two last recognized batsmen can't score a few runs the job will be too much for the bowlers.

rubel_18
June 27, 2007, 11:19 AM
Yes I hope Sakib can play well and inshallah get us to around 350+ with Pilot as his support batsmen, this way we can show that BD fought back well considering the poor first innings.

sadat_04
June 27, 2007, 11:19 AM
Shakib should play the whole series no matter what, and if he fails to perform in all three tests, then we can look at other options. Pilton is going to do what he always does ( lately), he is going to eat up a lot of balls and stay there...the fact is we don't need to drop Pilot if he does well tomorrow, we should just replace Bashar...another dismal performance...I think we have given him enough chances...he failed in 3 test matches...failed in all the 1 dayer...you can just tell by how he bats...he is not the same dude anymore...put mushfiq in place of bashar since tushar is not here...I would give SN one more chance...I just dont want all the new faces in the 3rd test..test in Kandy...that means pace & bounce and we r going to struggle really bad...

imon
June 27, 2007, 11:23 AM
BD will not be all out in 4th day.The Match will ended in a draw because of rain in final 3-4 sessions.

Saqib and Masud will build a partnership & take the score over 400. The pitch is Slow. Shahdat/Mashrafee will bat well but hang on the pitch for some time to support saqib.
Bangladesh will play over 170 overs in 2nd innings.

FaridpurChicago
June 27, 2007, 11:23 AM
My dream is to bat the whole day but my initial target is a 50 from Sakib and a 10 from Pilot. I know I'm asking too much from him. Am I not?

Miraz
June 27, 2007, 11:24 AM
BD will not be all out in 4th day.The Match will ended in a draw because of rain in final 3-4 sessions.

Saqib and Masud will build a partnership & take the score over 400. The pitch is Slow. Shahdat/Mashrafee will bat well but hang on the pitch for some time to support saqib.
Bangladesh will play over 170 overs in 2nd innings.

:big_hug:

Can you please make the predictions for the second and third Test?

Baundule
June 27, 2007, 11:26 AM
Just a question: What type of test is there for HB? He is averaging below ten in this series. Should he not be the focal point of these type of tests? His past performance don't speak much either.

HB will be in the team as a bowling all-rounder.

Baundule
June 27, 2007, 11:28 AM
Saqib should aim for a 50. There is no point aiming at an impossible target from the very beginning. He should fix his eyes on getting a fifty first and hope that Pilot can hang in there and give him the support.
My expectation is a 350+ total score. Being dismissed for an under 300 score will destroy all the good work we have done today. To achieve 350+, the morning session is immensely important because if these two last recognized batsmen can't score a few runs the job will be too much for the bowlers.

People are still setting runs as the aims. :yawn:

Dhakablues
June 27, 2007, 11:36 AM
As dependable as he is in the ODIs, Sakib is as 'wicket thrower' in test. I would love to see him succeed in test but he doesnt seem to have the same concentration yet as he attempts the ODI shots against Murli/Vaas. He hasnt switched his gears yet,, seems like. I dont think anyone is expecting a huge upsurge in performance from Pilot or Sakib. We cant as none of them are in form in terms of longer version. Basically, after Rajin/Ashraful departed,, the end was near. However,,,,, I expect that we can take the match towards tea if we dont lose heart. We need to target 3 sessions.The tail enders can bat out a couple of sessions if Pilot/Sakib can stick around till lunch. But given the morning due and new ball change.. I dont bet on it. The Key will be Sakib,, as he is more likely to lose the first wicket than Pilot.

Dhakablues
June 27, 2007, 11:45 AM
My dream is to bat the whole day but my initial target is a 50 from Sakib and a 10 from Pilot. I know I'm asking too much from him. Am I not?

I dont think we will be able to bat the whole day as Murli and Malinga are still hungry for wickets. But I think you got your figures wrong,, it should be PIlot 50 and Sakib 10.. as Pilot can stick in the wicket to score the runs whilst the other dont know how to do that yet.. I would escatic if both scored more runs to take us out of the woods... heck if Pilot dont score a single run and bats out till lunch and the team towards tea, I will take it...atleast that shows how to play Test cricket, with patience, strategy and wisdom...Unfortunately our players are too flashy for that kind of expectations

Pundit
June 27, 2007, 11:46 AM
[quote=Miraz;492577]Much of Bangladesh's fate remains on how Shakib and Pilot performs tomorrow.

Shakib hasn't yet performed to the potential in the Test arena and Pilot is fading for years. Mehrab Jr. and Mushfiqur Rahim is waiting on the wings to grab their place in the very first opportunity.

quote]

Good post.

I also get irritated with this constant query of the weather. Why don't you people just go to a web-site and find out, and then just shut-up. BD is humiliated...and that is not going to change whether it is a rain draw or not. Instead, we should be praying that it does not rain, and folks like Pilot, Sakib..Mortaza go to play with a simple objective: to get as much match practice as they can.

In regards to Ash, he appears to be somewhat of my personality. When ever in my life I have figured out that I can actually do something, I have lost interest in it. Same with him...as soon as he gets the better of the bowling, his day is over with. Ash needs to know that he is not trying to prove something to himeself, but to actually achieve something.

Sadz
June 27, 2007, 12:15 PM
What is wrong with some people? We hvae played as good as any1 possibly could have. I mean 233/5 is a dream come true considering 89 all out(one of our lowest test score). BD team must be a good team if Jayawardene declares very. very late. He knows what we as a team r capable of. Mayb some of u want us 2 play full game instead of heavy rainfall but in the interest of the team the score would be in their favour with a 1-0 lead.So to be strictly honest with u I would rather have heavy rainfall as we have played really well today.

sadi
June 27, 2007, 12:27 PM
If they can play out two sessions, rain will take care of the rest. We will need the real Pilot tomorrow who can eats up a lot of ball. A score of 9 from 90+ ball like the last match will do.

al Furqaan
June 27, 2007, 12:27 PM
Getting to day 4 is in itself an achievement given the first innings.

right we scored more runs, and still nearly lost inside 2 days at chester le street in 2005...

so who says we aren't improving, given less, we still produced more.

Ahmed_B
June 27, 2007, 12:28 PM
If somehow, just somehow, they could bat for the day tomorrow and go past the 577 mark, it would be the best day of Bangladesh cricket to date. It will install the confident in the team of doing the seemingly impossible.
It sure would be the best day. Because to do that BD will have to score 488 in 2nd innings... which is equal to BD's highest ever Test Score till date. And the previous 488 was against ZIMs! A 2nd innings 488 against SL is 5 times more countable than that last one. Highly unlikely though!

Saqib is capable of scoring around 70+... only if Pilot manages to hang around... doesnt matter if he scores 25 of 150 balls. Mash & Shahadat are capable of scoring Test 50's. Damn! I've started to dream already! :)

al Furqaan
June 27, 2007, 12:30 PM
I hope in 4th day suddenly acid doesn't become harmless liquid.

Even after 2 quick wickets at the end, we still have a very solid score (and tired opponent) to build on. I will be very disapointed, if we are bundled before the lunch.

we have sensible players at the creae now...all of sakib, pilot, mash, rajib , rafiq can bat according to our current needs.

i am really quite impressed with rajib, i thought he was a complete mug...but his 31 against india was stellar.

if pilot gets a 100 ball, 12 tomorrow, i will be damn pleased (but lets bring on rahim from now on).

LateCut
June 27, 2007, 12:32 PM
Why this is a separate thread? Why does it not belong to the Match Thread?

Ehsan
June 27, 2007, 12:34 PM
Need another 255 to avoid innings defeat. But I don't think its happening.

WarWolf
June 27, 2007, 12:37 PM
Need another 255 to avoid innings defeat. But I don't think its happening.
Let's be optimistic. May be tomorrow is another big day for our cricket.

Ahmed_B
June 27, 2007, 12:59 PM
Let's be optimistic. May be tomorrow is another big day for our cricket.

quoting myself from this same thread:
It sure would be the best day. Because to do that BD will have to score 488 in 2nd innings... which is equal to BD's highest ever Test Score till date. And the previous 488 was against ZIMs! A 2nd innings 488 against SL is 5 times more countable than that last one. Highly unlikely though!

ialbd
June 27, 2007, 01:42 PM
pilot can do it, particularly after Javed Omar infused those 'qualities' in him. Just expecting sth good from Shakib at this point....

Foozy
June 27, 2007, 05:03 PM
sakib will stay, there are otha players in the team hoo can make by for mehrab, ie JO or SN

first off... id like to say that i do hope rain comes our way... itll really not b humiliating after our performace yest... it really was a good fight.. and if they would hav done somehtin of the kind in the first day... this match would hav been really entertaining...

about sakib.. ya.. lets all hope he stays in.. coz we know his classs... the guy will do well at the end hopefully... mushi however needs to replace pilot...
as for mehrab... he definately deserves a try.. but with SN comin bak in form... (and i cross my fingers and hope he does... with another century :D)... then we cant remove him... JO... well he does play some really crucial innings sometimes... but usually he just falls off... its not about form for him.. hes just him:S... and bashar is totally out of form.. so either one of them must b "rested" for the 2nd odi.. and the young fella must b given a chance... or so id recon...

oh... and btw... i guess vass already got a slap on his face with yests innings... (ya its not literal.. but he did get it nice and loud!!)

Duck
June 27, 2007, 05:25 PM

Dont you think the series is already been sealed?!.... :)

Rumz_01
June 27, 2007, 05:29 PM
i hope sakib plays well!!!
he desrves his place...n shud get to stay there! (well thats wa i think anyways...lol)

Duck
June 27, 2007, 05:30 PM
I am not that optimistic.............consider the last minute Harakiri of Ashraful and also Rajin at the very end of the 3rd day........Do you think anything learnt through the whole day's work? Nothing! They will suicide again! I dont have any faith in them! They plays better when their ability is questioned by others! Good words are really bad for them. Praises achieved for the 3rd day will make them overconfident and they will do the same suicidal work on the 4th day. I am sick of this chain reaction!

istiak
June 27, 2007, 05:48 PM
Match going past tea tomorrow.......highly unlikely. Just tell me who is going bat that long for us?

MohammedC
June 27, 2007, 05:56 PM
Match going past tea tomorrow.......highly unlikely. Just tell me who is going bat that long for us?

Pilot:he will be batting at his own pace, remember his 8 from 80 balls in practise match
Sakib:If he does not play well there is other player waiting to be get picked. Which will force him to play well.

One World
June 27, 2007, 09:03 PM
The acid test would be playing against Vaas and Fernando with the new ball. If only Mashud can implement all his experience with Sakib, a determined opportunity to shine in the royal arena and go past first 15 overs till the shine cuts loose, there is a probability to get myself cranky the day after tomorrow.

cricketboy
June 27, 2007, 10:46 PM
If they can play out two sessions, rain will take care of the rest. We will need the real Pilot tomorrow who can eats up a lot of ball. A score of 9 from 90+ ball like the last match will do.

9 from 250 balls will be wonderful! :lol:

Miraz
June 27, 2007, 11:46 PM
And Pilot shows why his days are over.
Poor technique to say the least. Out for 1

sadi
June 28, 2007, 12:22 AM
Acid test er result ki Miraz bhai? All salt?

Ahmed_B
June 28, 2007, 12:34 AM
As it appears... it was a Nuclear Weapon Test.. not Acid test!

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 12:39 AM
So both failed then.

israr
June 28, 2007, 03:54 AM
We know the result of adding very concentrated sulphuric acid to water!

PoorFan
June 28, 2007, 04:37 AM
Now its acid test for Ash, can he convince Akram to dump Pilot and bring Mushi in, and Aftab or Tamim to replace 'injured' Javed. This injure issue may open up Bashars replacement ( Aftab ) too, thinking Mehrab can open in that case.

I think Ash as a captain should raise his voice to replace Pilot for next test ... which will auto lead to an end of Pilot era.