PDA

View Full Version : the true value of Ash's blunder

al Furqaan
June 27, 2007, 12:36 PM
It happened just like a video stuck on repeat mode. Ash plays solidly, the team is in a good position, very good actually given the situation of the the first innings, and Ash gives us a heart attack.

But his mistake was hugely dissappointing and the ill effects will be dear. With just a few overs to go before stumps, had ash stayed at the crease, he would get to face a tired bowling attack the next day, and be refreshed. instead we have to new batsmen at the crease.

had he stayed, we would be well set for a 300+ score, now we will be lucky to get 300.

some real soul searching needs to be done by ash. for he is not just a star batsmen anymore. he is the leader of a hungry pack of tigers.

WarWolf
June 27, 2007, 12:39 PM
I guess he needs psychotherapy to solve the problem.

Ehsan
June 27, 2007, 12:43 PM
Did you notice his strike rate was 28.24 and he stayed for one hour and 23 mins to score 37 runs? That should tell you why he played that shot. :)

It was rush of blood and thats when his brain stops working. If only he stayed for 3 more balls. Poor guy, I am sure he must have been kicking himself thinking why could not he stay for 3 more balls.

Sadz
June 27, 2007, 12:43 PM
Correctly said about our star Ash, he played terrific against India more than u could ever wish but all of a sudden he sails the ball high into the air and bam hes out. Safe us the grief man, stay calm after all u r the captain.If he solved this problem he would no doubt become 1 of the best batsmen in the world.

Fazal
June 27, 2007, 12:45 PM
"You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken droppings..."
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[IMG]http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p>
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3>May]</o:p>
<font color=" /><o:p></o:p>
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></o:p>
<FONT color=black><o:p>May be its time for fans to just wake up and smell the reality. Yes Ash is enormously talented... yes he will single handedly win you few ODI games... but mentality wise Ash is no Mr. Gullu... he will never be Mr. Gullu. </o:p>
<FONT color=black><o:p></o:p>
<FONT color=black><o:p>Yes he will learn a bit here and a bit there... he will most likely have a very good career at the end. But don’t expect Ash to turn into Mr. Buddho. That is not going to happen. So adjust your expectation and except Ash as he is ... with good and with his bad. </o:p>

al Furqaan
June 27, 2007, 12:49 PM
"You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken droppings..."
<o:p></o:p>
May]
<o:p>May be its time for fans to just wake up and smell the reality. Yes Ash is enormously talented... yes he will single handedly win you few ODI games... but mentality wise Ash is no Mr. Gullu... he will never be Mr. Gullu. </o:p>
<o:p>Yes he will learn a bit here and a bit there... he will most likely have a very good career at the end. But don’t expect Ash to turn into Mr. Buhdo. That is not going to happen. So adjust your expectation and except Ash as he is ... with good and with his bad. </o:p>

nope, he must change and he will...captaincy will do it...and we need mcinnes...i think mcinnes can do it...i think that was dav's biggest failing not to be able to improve ash beyond the 1.5 times he did...

cricket_pagol
June 27, 2007, 12:50 PM
I have to give ashraful credit for his effort... He played only a few reckless shots throughout the innings, otherwise he looked really solid. I looking forward to some great innings from ash later in the series... On a different note, SN will score a century in the next test (my predction).

Miraz
June 27, 2007, 12:51 PM
We definitely need a sports psychologist for our team. All leading teams have got this very important person in their coaching staff. It's a must have for a young team like ours

Ahmed_B
June 27, 2007, 12:54 PM
He's learning. He will learn from todays stupidity also... I think.

oracle
June 27, 2007, 01:01 PM
... He played only a few reckless shots throughout the innings

One mistake is enough. He just switched off the headlights too soon.

MSR-BD
June 27, 2007, 01:03 PM

Failure is the piller of success………….hopefully it won't be too many pillers!

uss01
June 27, 2007, 01:06 PM
They got one back in feb 2006, But I think it was on and off basis as needed. Not a permanent contract.

We definitely need a sports psychologist for our team. All leading teams have got this very important person in their coaching staff. It's a must have for a young team like ours

napoleonIV
June 27, 2007, 01:08 PM

I doubt he is learning. If he had any inclination to learn then he would have learnt after the first of his two consecutive unexplainable reverse sweep shots in a previous Murali over. He was playing Murali very well up to that point. The commentators (including the biased R. Fernando) were full of praise of him - as he was reading Murali very well. When all other Bangladeshi batsmen were clueless with Murali's doosra, Ash was middling them comfortably. If he was a batsman like Shahriar Nafees who was not being able to read Murali that well - then it would have been an understandable approach to "hit himself out of trouble". But given that Ash had no such problem - he could have continued to handle Murali with confidence mixed with caution. But what did he do? All of a sudden, he attempts an ugly reverse sweep. He fails to connect the ball - the ball misses the stump very narrowly. It was totally uncalled for. There was no need to play such fancy shot. Ashraful was handling Murali with "normal" cricket shots very well. Run was not a factor. Even then, he scored a boundary from an uppish drive just a ball before. So the claim that he was too bogged down and tried to break the shackles is not valid either. Anyway, as a Bangladeshi fan - I (along with commentator Sanjay Manjrekar) thought that the reverse sweep was just a rush of blood and Ash will learn to curb his instincts to play such risky and comparatively unothordox shots. Guess what happens next? To prove that he is adamant about not learning, he attempts the exact same shot the very next ball and with an even worse result ! No contact with the ball and somehow the umpire decides not to adjudge him LBW ! That is how Ash is learning...

MohammedC
June 27, 2007, 01:33 PM
Ashraful admits to playing wrong
Bishwajit Roy from Colombo

The way captain Mohammad Ashraful got out at the fag end of the third day's play portrays where the problem actually lies in the Bangladesh batting.

The day could have finished much better for the Tigers, but the whole dressingroom was in sheer frustration at the end as the team were reduced to 231 for five from the relative ease of 227 for three, in the space of four overs.

The right-hander unnecessarily came down the track to hit Muttiah Muralidaran as he put an end to his brilliant effort after having survived twice from mistimed reverse sweeps against the spin wizard whom he negotiated well during his 131-ball salvo to score 37 runs.

Interim Bangladesh coach Shaun Williams however was not ready to come down heavily on his skipper; rather he praised his responsibility.

"He played a very responsible innings but made one mistake and got out. It was also unfortunate for him. I wouldn't make any comment about the way he got out because he worked hard today (Wednesday) and I believe he will learn from these mistakes," said Williams.

"It was nice that we batted well after a very poor showing in the first innings but we have a long way to go. I am happy because the boys responded brilliantly after that (first innings debacle)," he added.

On the other hand, Ashraful admitted that it was a crime to throw away his wicket at that very crucial stage.
"I think here lies the problem: we sometimes lose concentration. It would have been nice if Rajin bhai and I could have finished the day's play. I must accept that I was wrong to play that shot but we can learn from it. Our main target was not to lose anymore wickets today (Wednesday) and we batted according to our plan," said the youngest Bangladesh captain.

Read more (http://thedailystar.net/2007/06/28/d70628040131.htm)

Good to see he is realising he has made the mistake, so if he remembers what he did today he may not do the same in similar situation

Shaan
June 27, 2007, 01:36 PM
For his stupidity certainly he is hitting his head against wall cause this is not only his individual performance its about captaincy the leader who has to take all the responsibility of the team and lead the team from the front. So as a matter of fact he is new as a captain at such stage, so he will learn from the mistakes and correct them for the sake of the team and for the nation. Look at him how he did play all day long, this is not the Ash we have seen through last many years, there is change on him everyone certainly noticed today from his body language and cricket attitude. He sees the world now in different view than as a player Ashraful. He will positively come back on next tests in theis series, that what I believe from my heart.

SS
June 27, 2007, 01:37 PM
Another article is due from you on this :D

rubel_18
June 27, 2007, 01:43 PM
He will positively come back on next tests in theis series, that what I believe from my heart.

I agree with you on that 100%, the way he played with patience and temperament was really gud to see cos u dont really see him ever do that, it seemed like as though he knows that he has to change his game cos has become captain and I am sure inshallah he will playe better in the next 2 tests

SS
June 27, 2007, 01:44 PM
Ash realized and will try his 'best' not to make this kind of mistake. The problem is if he will get more opportunities like that in this year for test cricket. We don't have that many test matches according to ICC schedule. Not sure if the schedule has been modified but after July both us and the players will have more time to relax but not enough opportunities to play test matches. I might be wrong though.

rah
June 27, 2007, 01:48 PM
ash does have to quit dis rush of blood fing plus he is captain.

Fazal
June 27, 2007, 01:52 PM
This is the 2nd innings in a row he threw away his wicket. Atleast this time he stayed a while. But people are hoping he is learning. Based on what?

People are saying he is regretting for throwing his wicket. But I think, in his heart, he thinks he have done his job by staying too long. thats why he suddenly became so desparate to hit.

so keep on dreaming folks...“fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me....”

israr
June 27, 2007, 01:55 PM
I doubt he is learning. If he had any inclination to learn then he would have learnt after the first of his two consecutive unexplainable reverse sweep shots in a previous Murali over. He was playing Murali very well up to that point. The commentators (including the biased R. Fernando) were full of praise of him - as he was reading Murali very well. When all other Bangladeshi batsmen were clueless with Murali's doosra, Ash was middling them comfortably. If he was a batsman like Shahriar Nafees who was not being able to read Murali that well - then it would have been an understandable approach to "hit himself out of trouble". But given that Ash had no such problem - he could have continued to handle Murali with confidence mixed with caution. But what did he do? All of a sudden, he attempts an ugly reverse sweep. He fails to connect the ball - the ball misses the stump very narrowly. It was totally uncalled for. There was no need to play such fancy shot. Ashraful was handling Murali with "normal" cricket shots very well. Run was not a factor. Even then, he scored a boundary from an uppish drive just a ball before. So the claim that he was too bogged down and tried to break the shackles is not valid either. Anyway, as a Bangladeshi fan - I (along with commentator Sanjay Manjrekar) thought that the reverse sweep was just a rush of blood and Ash will learn to curb his instincts to play such risky and comparatively unothordox shots. Guess what happens next? To prove that he is adamant about not learning, he attempts the exact same shot the very next ball and with an even worse result ! No contact with the ball and somehow the umpire decides not to adjudge him LBW ! That is how Ash is learning...

I don't agree with you completely. Yes, he often becomes a victim to rush of blood, but there is no doubt about his zest for improving on his mistakes. There is a very popular phrase and it quotes 'Winners don't do different things, they do things differently!' This is what I think distinguishes extraordinary or unique individuals from normal ones. If you're are an avid cricket follower, then you'd have surely noticed how Brian Lara, or the old Tendulkar(not the one which we know of today), would try to dominate over the opposition's main bowler and unsettle their opponents. Once the main bowler would be out of the attack, it would automatically push the bowling team's captain on the defensive. Ashraful, being the most experienced and regular member of our cricket team(minus the oldies ofcourse!) seems to have grasped the 'firtive winning formula' which any ingenious batsman would try to apply, but the main problem is that he's failing to execute them properly. Those reserve sweep shots were certainly one of his plans, but he's in a state of dilemma and that is, when to convert his 'on-field thoughts' into action, while he's batting. I am satisfied by Ashraful to some extent, as the innings which he played clearly reflected his responsibilty, only to be spoiled at the end. Ashraful is unfortunate that he's never experienced the ecstacy of watching a matchwinner batsman from his end(non-striker's end), or else we'd see a completelt different Ashraful. People claim he's learnt nothing, but to be candid, he's learning a lot more than what we are observing. The way he played today showed obvious signs of improvement, but yes the problems we're are talking about won't disappear completely. It's still a very steep learning curve. Finally, I implore the fans that they focus and concentrate more on their paradigms. That shall help put an end to obscure conclusions.

shovon13
June 27, 2007, 02:13 PM
This is the 2nd innings in a row he threw away his wicket. Atleast this time he stayed a while. But people are hoping he is learning. Based on what?

People are saying he is regretting for throwing his wicket. But I think, in his heart, he thinks he have done his job by staying too long. thats why he suddenly became so desparate to hit.

so keep on dreaming folks...“fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me....”

this is getting a bit too ridiculous fazal. dont make your displeasure for ashraful (for whatever weird *** reason) so obvious. if you dont think he is becoming more responsible as a batsman, then you must be blind.

Fazal
June 27, 2007, 02:17 PM
this is getting a bit too ridiculous fazal. dont make your displeasure for ashraful (for whatever weird *** reason) so obvious.

No I am not. Please feel free to express your own opinion about the thread topic and let others do the same even you may not agree with them. I am expressing my own opinion about this thread topic. Feel free to agree or or disagree... but please stay in the topic without attacking other members without valid reason to do so.

I am not discounting his contribution in second innings, nor am I asking his head. I am not day dreaming here .... I am trying to be realistic hear and accept Ash what he is with "his good and his bad" . I don't hate Ash nor do I worship Ash. He is just one of the 11 players playing for my team that I love. Please read all my comments here in this thread before jumping into conclusion. I write what I see and feel as a fan. I don't care if that hurts Ash fanatics or not.

And if you feel, then please feel free to open another bu** kissing thread to counter balance if you like.

Thanks

riad
June 27, 2007, 02:55 PM
I wish I could be there with Ash every couple of overs and put my hand on his head and say "baba re take it easy and be careful" as i tell my 5 yr old when he is restless waiting to see his favorite cartoon character at Disney parade.
It was going so great!!!! i was almost forgot about 1st innings 89/10......

cricman
June 27, 2007, 03:01 PM

Thats where your wrong

He's still learning, you can give me that 7 years experience speech, but look he batted 150 minutes and only had 35+ runs to his name. I'm sure every time Ash has been at the crease for 150 minutes in his entire life he's been at the century level and at that moment he's at what 37? He scored 136 of 180 off the same bowling attack last year. He's adding a new dimension to his game, I never saw him bat with that responsibility trying to save the Test under Whatmore see 51 of 26? I think Coach Williams (I hope he does stay with us in some capacity) is helping him and he's gonna take it to the next level.

I'm disappointed in him do doubt for that shot, but the partnership with Rajin was one of the best ever in our Test Cricket. I hope SW tells him that the no bowler can't get him out, when he put his head down, I expect gradual improvement from everybody by the third test.

shovon13
June 27, 2007, 03:21 PM
No I am not. Please feel free to express your own opinion about the thread topic and let others do the same even you may not agree with them. I am expressing my own opinion about this thread topic. Feel free to agree or or disagree... but please stay in the topic without attacking other members without valid reason to do so.

I am not discounting his contribution in second innings, nor am I asking his head. I am not day dreaming here .... I am trying to be realistic hear and accept Ash what he is with "his good and his bad" . I don't hate Ash nor do I worship Ash. He is just one of the 11 players playing for my team that I love. Please read all my comments here in this thread before jumping into conclusion. I write what I see and feel as a fan. I don't care if that hurts Ash fanatics or not.

And if you feel, then please feel free to open another bu** kissing thread to counter balance if you like.

Thanks

aint nobody attacking you. i disagree with you, therefore i let you know that. lets keep going.
you maybe the only one who didn't see something different about his inning last night. it ended prematurely - as it so often does - but it was a responsible knock while it lasted. my problem lies in your defeatist mentality. "accept him with his good and his bad" - you're saying this is the ash we will always have. are you kidding me? why did we carry this fool in our team for the past 5 years if this is the best he got.

Fazal
June 27, 2007, 03:32 PM
Thats where your wrong

You are entitled to give your opinion but just beacuse you said so doesn't make it my comment wrong.

The fact.

1. Yes he is trying to learn. There is some good trend but too early to give a blank check to him that "its for sure he is learning".

2. Yes he was playing witb ease. But that is not his problem. It's the mental aspect that is preventing him to become from good to great.

3. No you cannot discount 7 years experience even you hope that does't exits. If you want to be fair in this discussion, this 7 years experience and how much he learned from his past is a VERY VALID POINT to bring up.

4. How much influence Coach Williams will have in Ash's mind is still very speculative and not yet meterialized. We have seen in the past with players (including Ash and others) when they seems to be learning and all in a sudden go back to their old bad habbit. If you want to hope for the best possible case thats fine. But past fact doesn't support you that much.

So far based on the performance in this innings the top two performers are javed and Rajin. Ash comes in 3rd/4th along with SN. And we are jumping up and down with his peformance and get mad if we see any negative aspect of his innings. So strange.

Javed and SN planted the seed. Javed and Rajin watered the plant. Rajin and Ash supported the plant. All in a sudden Rajin hit the plant mistakenly. And what Ash did? Hit the plant again intentionally. I can unerstand Rajin's lapse of concentration. But I am clueless why Ash did what he did. This is not what I expect from a captain.

"The hope held out by a spirited 86-run opening stand between Shahriar Nafees and Javed Omar and a 67-run stand between Rajin Saleh and Mohammad Ashraful was however frittered away towards the end as Ashraful committed hara-kiri and Bangladesh trailed by 255 runs, with five wickets standing, at stumps at the Sinhalese Sports Club. " - The Bulletin by Sriram Veera (cricinfo)

"At 220 for 3 they were really playing well and if they had ended up with 250 for 3 it would have been a different story," said Penney. "Thankfully we got those two wickets late in the day and that sort of evened things up and gave our boys hope for tomorrow morning to bowl them out." -- Sri Lanka's stand-in coach, Trevor Penney (about the impact of that two wickets that they got)

Do I need to say more?

Fazal
June 27, 2007, 03:39 PM
you maybe the only one who didn't see something different about his inning last night. it ended prematurely - as it so often does - but it was a responsible knock while it lasted. my problem lies in your defeatist mentality.

Are you reading thoroughly what I am saying? If not what't the point of arguing with you? Where I said that "I didn't see something different about his innings?" Please reread my comments again. What i said was..

<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border-width: 1px;">Originally Posted by Fazal
<o:p>Yes he will learn a bit here and a bit there... he will most likely have a very good career at the end. But don’t expect Ash to turn into Mr. Buhdo. </o:p>

</td></tr></tbody></table>
my problem lies in your defeatist mentality. "accept him with his good and his bad" - you're saying this is the ash we will always have.

If you have a problem consult a shrink... but don't try to dictate others how they should or shouldn't analyse things. What you see positive mentality, I see as dilutional person day-dreaming about goo-gaa land 7 more years. What you see defeatist mentality, I see as more cautious and realistic expectation.

"accept him with his good and his bad" - you're saying this is the ash we will always have. are you kidding me? why did we carry this fool in our team for the past 5 years if this is the best he got.

Hey my friend it is you who called him a fool not me. Currently Ash IS NOT the worst three player in the team. So he is not my immidiate headache.

Rubu
June 27, 2007, 03:54 PM
Did you guys see Ash's interview on prothom alo today? He seems to know that he has this issue, and hopefully he'll be able to work it out.

there was few things about his captaincy that I already liked (and would never see from Bashar). For example, he made Bashar bowl and he bowled himself as well. he sent shahadat ahead of mash because he thought shahadat plays murali well. whether it works or not, this is positive thinking and we needed that badly from the captain.

syzygy
June 27, 2007, 04:02 PM
i somewhat agree with Faz..ash should be censured for throwing away his wicket...he has not done a favor by apparaently holding his ground and staying there for 1hour and 30 odd mins...thats what is exactly desired from a captain, a leader and from a player who is playing cricket for 6 odd yrs and at this level.if u make a mistake once , it is forgiven but if u repeatedly do the same mistake u dont deserve to play at this level however talented u may be. if he has not learnt in 6 years, someone has every right to believe he wlll never learn till the time he ends his career.

ruja1810
June 27, 2007, 04:07 PM
From cricinfo....

81.6 Muralitharan to Mohammad Ashraful, OUT, what has Ashraful done? He uses his feet to step down the pitch intending to hit it over midwicket, he doesn't get to the pitch of the ball and mis-hits it straight to Vaas at long on, what a way to end a patient and determined innings

Khokon jai Ashraful responsible hoa shik bay? One thing he should keep in his mind that he is a captain besides batsman. Being a captain involves responsibility and not throwing his wicket so cheaply. Hopefully, he will be better in future and be more careful when he selects the shot. I get really frustarted and disappointed everytime he gets out. As long as he is in the field there is always a good result for him as well as for the team.

Rifat
June 27, 2007, 04:11 PM

although i am 18 i have sufficient knowledge on human psychology and behavior. i should join the cricket team and provide free service of therapy. no joke.

israr
June 27, 2007, 04:20 PM
although i am 18 i have sufficient knowledge on human psychology and behavior. i should join the cricket team and provide free service of therapy. no joke.

So why don't you accost the BCB?

Elindada
June 27, 2007, 04:34 PM
Man.. its so easy for all of us to just sit here and type everything, but when u go out there thats the real thing ! I am on vacation so i basicall had nothing to do.. and as a result i watched every ball of the 3rd day.. and believe me i think ashraful did a tremendous job.. not becuz he managed to just stay there.. but becuz he curbed his natural instincts... he dint go for ne shots.. he played like a team person... solid in defence... I think the way ashraful batted today showed us that he has learnt the virtue of patience ! i mean cmon this is mohammed ashraful we are talking abt and not javed omar or rajin saleh... the way how he curbed his natural instincts to play for the team itself showed how well he played today... and honestly speaking i always hit my head when ashraful gets out the way he did today... but today when he got out after playing a rash shot... i just felt bad for him... poor guy..just cudnt take it ne more.... the pressure just got the better side of him.. He is after all 22 years old...but yes i agree he has a lot to learn and so does every other batsman in the bangladeshi side especially for the test match ! I myself lost my patience when i was just watching bangladesh defend and play ! i mean i knew they were doing the right thing.. but there was this feeling inside me that wanted boundaries... so imagine how the players must have felt ? i believe it was a job well done by ashraful on his first test match as captain

Rifat
June 27, 2007, 04:41 PM
So why don't you accost the BCB?

the truth is you can be a psychologist yourself and calm yourself down on the right times,
when the world looks down on you. if you are resourceful then you can draw inspiration from anything; as most people draw inspiration from family, religion and what they love. if you have an open mind and you understand, you reason against why you feel bad or discouraged. i can see Mushfiqur Rahim filling that role in the Bangladeshi team, he has a great sense of enthusiasm and hope :) :flag:

Murad
June 27, 2007, 04:42 PM
Interview with AShraful on Prothom Alo

http://www.prothom-alo.org/mcat.news.details.php?nid=NDcwMzE=&mid=OA==

Hes being honest about the mistakes he made yesterday..

Rifat
June 27, 2007, 04:43 PM
Man.. its so easy for all of us to just sit here and type everything, but when u go out there thats the real thing ! I am on vacation so i basicall had nothing to do.. and as a result i watched every ball of the 3rd day.. and believe me i think ashraful did a tremendous job.. not becuz he managed to just stay there.. but becuz he curbed his natural instincts... he dint go for ne shots.. he played like a team person... solid in defence... I think the way ashraful batted today showed us that he has learnt the virtue of patience ! i mean cmon this is mohammed ashraful we are talking abt and not javed omar or rajin saleh... the way how he curbed his natural instincts to play for the team itself showed how well he played today... and honestly speaking i always hit my head when ashraful gets out the way he did today... but today when he got out after playing a rash shot... i just felt bad for him... poor guy..just cudnt take it ne more.... the pressure just got the better side of him.. He is after all 22 years old...but yes i agree he has a lot to learn and so does every other batsman in the bangladeshi side especially for the test match ! I myself lost my patience when i was just watching bangladesh defend and play ! i mean i knew they were doing the right thing.. but there was this feeling inside me that wanted boundaries... so imagine how the players must have felt ? i believe it was a job well done by ashraful on his first test match as captain

ditto

Foozy
June 27, 2007, 04:46 PM
I have to give ashraful credit for his effort... He played only a few reckless shots throughout the innings, otherwise he looked really solid. I looking forward to some great innings from ash later in the series... On a different note, SN will score a century in the next test (my predction).

i ditto that!!;)... well said buddy... just wat i was thinkin...:flag:

napoleonIV
June 27, 2007, 08:51 PM
I myself lost my patience when i was just watching bangladesh defend and play ! i mean i knew they were doing the right thing.. but there was this feeling inside me that wanted boundaries... so imagine how the players must have felt ?

I don't want sound rude. I am not a big "cricket shomojhdar" myself either. But being a supporter of a test team, if one gets a feeling inside that craves for boundaries then I must say, with my little knowledge, that one is not yet ready for test cricket - even as a spectator. One of the great features of test cricket is the battle for survival. Most of the epic innings in test cricket is not about strike rate and boundaries - rather those are about the mental courage to withstand the storm. (Remember Steve Waugh's contribution in winning the test series in 1995 in Carribean ? ) In fact, this is precisely the mentality because of which we go over the moon when any of our "star" batsmen make a stroke filled 40-50. We don't realize that in test cricket, star batsmen are supposed to score 100+ score every once in a while - not entertaining 30-40's (that , as I understand, is the job of tailenders :) ). Unless we (specially our media) stop getting satisfied with these once-in-a-blue-moon 50-60 scores then future indeed looks bleak. It will look even worse if your last sentence is true - i.e. batsmen with 7+ years of test experience become impatient when boundaries are not coming!

One World
June 27, 2007, 08:56 PM
#5, 9, 11, 14 and 31 are exact reflection of my thought. The second innings resistance is a rare proof that BD can learn heavy and prolong a defeat towards fourth day against a formidable side. Ash is a natural player and the gain of control comes with maturity and experience.

fuzzy
June 27, 2007, 09:12 PM
a true captain knok plyed by ash. he has matured as cricketer.

sadi
June 27, 2007, 09:12 PM
As much as I liked Ashraful's innings while it lasted, I agree with Fazal in most of the points. Lets not talk about how Ashraful realized his mistakes. If you have read his earlier interviews, he always seem to understand when he does the mistake and throw away his wickets. But the problem is it keeps happening. He realized it after the first innings but still did it in the second innings. Didn't he?

There will be noone happier than me if he seriously works on his temperament and become a savior like most of the posters here portrying him to be but all I ask is be realistic. He still hasn't turned the corner and until I see him avoiding these careless mistakes in a consistent manner, I wouldn't be convinced.

FagunerAgun
June 27, 2007, 09:27 PM
This stupidly impatience is in Ash's and some players blood.
Psychotherapy, shocktherapy nothing will work with these talented idiots.

They just need blood transfusion.:floor:

al Furqaan
June 27, 2007, 09:31 PM
As much as I liked Ashraful's innings while it lasted, I agree with Fazal in most of the points. Lets not talk about how Ashraful realized his mistakes. If you have read his earlier interviews, he always seem to understand when he does the mistake and throw away his wickets. But the problem is it keeps happening. He realized it after the first innings but still did it in the second innings. Didn't he?

There will be noone happier than me if he seriously works on his temperament and become a savior like most of the posters here portrying him to be but all I ask is be realistic. He still hasn't turned the corner and until I see him avoiding these careless mistakes in a consistent manner, I wouldn't be convinced.

just out of curiosity, what about aftab makes him your favorite player over ash? IMO, they are nearly identical types of players, except that ash is strong player of spin and quite bit more talented...

al Furqaan
June 27, 2007, 09:35 PM

another thing, is ash sounded different when he criticized himself...and that is the key word: criticized.

in the past, ash has always managed to avoid criticizing his many stupid shots...he always says stuff like "it was a bad shot and i am going to be more responsible"

this time he was quite a bit harder on himself, and i owe it to the fact that he is captain now...i have a feeling that BCB realized ash the player would be a big nothing but if they forced him to play and play responsibly he would shine.

only way to do that is make him king.

and if it doesn't work, which i think it will, but if it doesn't, then nothing will work. period.

Electrequiem
June 27, 2007, 09:38 PM
He is far too young now ... give him some time. Ash is a quick learner.

Murad
June 27, 2007, 09:51 PM
I think he has improved a lot since last year.. Hes showing more consistency than before. We saw scorese like 30 after 5/6 games but now we see that more often..

He will be changed very soon.. now hes the captain.. he knows that he can't make those mistakes.. and this pressure will make him better.. I never seen him playing like this before... he just made one mistake and got out.. but before that it was a fantastic innings..

Some people already saying hes the captain he can't do that.. guys this is his first match as a captain.. it takes time to take responsibilities... he cannot change himself in just one match.... just have patience.. you will see a different ashraful from the 2nd match.

PoorFan
June 27, 2007, 11:15 PM
Javed and SN planted the seed. Javed and Rajin watered the plant. Rajin and Ash supported the plant. All in a sudden Rajin hit the plant mistakenly. And what Ash did? Hit the plant again intentionally. I can unerstand Rajin's lapse of concentration. But I am clueless why Ash did what he did. This is not what I expect from a captain.
<!--StartFragment -->Typical Fazal with a nice explanation! There is no doubt he is trying hard to learn and execute, yet often fail to hold on to the focus, something like a 'black out moment' or a 'lost moment' thinking / imaging completely different thing at that moment. We saw these 'lost moment' happen to most of our players time to time, and recent example is our ex captain Bashar in WC. And I afraid this is not age thing that will disappear after certain age or xx years of experience, rather our restless cultural or environmental problem under which we grown up I guess. Unless one realize from deep inside and work hard off the job training on his own, I don't think he can overcome this problem that easy.

Good thing is Ash seems to be changed his attitude, and recognize the problem even more, now its all depends on how he approach to fix it. If he thinks he can fix it with experience of playing more and more game will be a grave mistake. He should find someway to train himself repeatedly off the field and execute it on the field, otherwise expected result will never be achieved, and his tremendous potential will be wasted.

BanCricFan
June 28, 2007, 12:08 AM
Fazal,

Ash is trying really hard to curb his natural instinct to hit every ball...its all too obvious! Yes, he will falter...old habits ,die hard. We got have more patience with players like Ash and Aftab.

OZGOD
June 28, 2007, 12:23 AM
It happened just like a video stuck on repeat mode. Ash plays solidly, the team is in a good position, very good actually given the situation of the the first innings, and Ash gives us a heart attack.

But his mistake was hugely dissappointing and the ill effects will be dear. With just a few overs to go before stumps, had ash stayed at the crease, he would get to face a tired bowling attack the next day, and be refreshed. instead we have to new batsmen at the crease.

had he stayed, we would be well set for a 300+ score, now we will be lucky to get 300.

some real soul searching needs to be done by ash. for he is not just a star batsmen anymore. he is the leader of a hungry pack of tigers.

I agree with most of your post mate, though I think it would be harsh to blame Ashraful for the loss. After all, he wasn't the only non-contributor in the first innings 89, and his (all too common) brain explosion in the 2nd innings was not the sole cause of the collapse. The bottom line is that SL are probably at a different level to BD right now and BD's batsmen were just found out. These guys really need to work hard to get to a point where they can be competitive.

That said, Ashraful should have known better - but this isn't the first, and I daresay not the last, time he's had this kind of brain explosion. For a bloke who's played 36 Tests and over a hundred ODIs he seems to be a slow learner. Talent is all well and good, but results are more important. If he was in the OZ side he'd have been dropped long ago - not because of a lack of talent, but because of an inability to learn and improve.

sadi
June 28, 2007, 12:26 AM
just out of curiosity, what about aftab makes him your favorite player over ash? IMO, they are nearly identical types of players, except that ash is strong player of spin and quite bit more talented...

I just love to see him bat. His batting is simply gorgeous. The only problem is he is even more stupid than Ashraful and gets out after scoring 30s.

sadi
June 28, 2007, 12:31 AM
another thing, is ash sounded different when he criticized himself...and that is the key word: criticized.

in the past, ash has always managed to avoid criticizing his many stupid shots...he always says stuff like "it was a bad shot and i am going to be more responsible"

this time he was quite a bit harder on himself, and i owe it to the fact that he is captain now...i have a feeling that BCB realized ash the player would be a big nothing but if they forced him to play and play responsibly he would shine.

only way to do that is make him king.

and if it doesn't work, which i think it will, but if it doesn't, then nothing will work. period.

Don't agree with the first part. I think he has criticized himself most of the time. When he says yeah I played a bad shot, I take it as a criticism. The problem is he hasn't learnt from it.

I don't think BCB made him the captain because they wanted to see him more responsible but its a totally different topic. Responsibility comes from inside. Noone can force it upon you. I must say, he is trying but in international cricket, trying is simply not good enough. Result is the key. Now don't think I am solely blaming him for our loss. This topic is about Ash's blunder and he made a big one yesterday.

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 12:33 AM
BanCricFan,

If you read all my comments you will see that I am not saying that Ash is not trying nor am I saying that I don't see any changes. Moreover I am not asking for Ash's head nor I am impatient with him. What I am saying is that I am not that optimistic like some others here until is see more clear indication. And I understand its not easy and thats why I am NOT 100% buying it that he really changed a lot. You cannot suddenly make a Gavasker out of a Afridi.

And about Aftab. Its not fair to drag Aftab in this discussion. Sure Afatb is also explosive player. But he is still young and given only fraction of a chance compared to Ash. So I even don't know how much he is adaptable to change (given an opportunity). For Afatb's case we need to wait and see further before making a judgment. But in Ash's case we have seen enough (7 years) to develop our own opinion (good or bad).

syzygy
June 28, 2007, 12:54 AM
That said, Ashraful should have known better - but this isn't the first, and I daresay not the last, time he's had this kind of brain explosion. For a bloke who's played 36 Tests and over a hundred ODIs he seems to be a slow learner. Talent is all well and good, but results are more important. If he was in the OZ side he'd have been dropped long ago - not because of a lack of talent, but because of an inability to learn and improve.

very very true..ash is still playing test cricket only becoz he plays for bd...no other test nation would have accepted his inability to learn...talent is nothing when u cant learn and improve.

jabbar
June 28, 2007, 01:12 AM

#How many times must a man make mistakes, before yo can call him a maaaaan...#

:hairpull:

mafizraju
June 28, 2007, 01:13 AM

Not a personal attack, but at 18 it always seemed that we know everything that is necessary to know

mafizraju
June 28, 2007, 01:20 AM
I think Ash's problem is he doesnot have an on field mentor. He would be a complete player if he were born in another cricket mature country.

It would have donr wonder if he could play in first class cricket of Australia or SA or England .....

Tintin
June 28, 2007, 01:51 AM
#How many times must a man make mistakes, before yo can call him a maaaaan...#

:hairpull:

Good one.

Sohel
July 1, 2007, 05:23 AM
#5, 9, 11, 14 and 31 are exact reflection of my thought. The second innings resistance is a rare proof that BD can learn heavy and prolong a defeat towards fourth day against a formidable side. Ash is a natural player and the gain of control comes with maturity and experience.

Echo those thoughts.

But I understand Fazal's wrath also. I too want expiation, apologies aren't good enough for a captain, especially from one as promising as Ash.

Ibrahim
July 1, 2007, 05:51 AM
"You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken droppings...<o:p></o:p>

LOL, funny title. I like it.

cricman
July 7, 2007, 01:50 PM
You are entitled to give your opinion but just beacuse you said so doesn't make it my comment wrong.

The fact.

1. Yes he is trying to learn. There is some good trend but too early to give a blank check to him that "its for sure he is learning".

2. Yes he was playing witb ease. But that is not his problem. It's the mental aspect that is preventing him to become from good to great.

I think 1 & 2 are almost checkmarks, Plus Ash this captaincy is really good thing for Ash since he's gonna be under the microscope and gonna be scrutinized and he's shown that he's batting a heavy sense of responsibility. Which I think is gonna rub off on his teammates, kinda like the 158* gave the team confidence to beat India and Zimbabwe but this time the team is gonna bat and fight and not give anything easy to the Lankans.

His First innings duck he's gonna play that shot 99 outta 100 times and 99% percent of the time it's gonna be a boundary.