PDA

View Full Version : Clip - The Sledge that Backfired: McGrath-Sarwan Spat (Antigua,'03)

shehanwije
June 27, 2007, 05:45 PM
The Sledge that Backfired: McGrath-Sarwan Spat (Antigua,'03)

The 4th Test between Australia and the West Indies certainly had its share of Shakespearean moments - the drama of a record second The 4th Test between Australia and the West Indies certainly had its share of Shakespearean moments - the drama of a record second-innings run chase, the colour of the Antiguan crowd, the tension of the on-field confrontations. The West Indian vice-captain, 21-year-old Ramnaresh Sarwan, was steering his side towards a second-innings total of 417.
At the other end, fast bowler Glenn McGrath was desperately trying to turn the game Australia's way. But having been belted for 21 runs in two overs, McGrath could contain himself no longer, and resorted to an unoriginal, homophobic-themed sledge, with Sarwan replying with an equally cliched retort relating to his rival's wife.
McGrath to Sarwan: "What does Brian Lara's ---- taste like?"
Sarwan replied: "I don't know, ask your wife."
McGrath began to walk away before turning back and heading to within a foot of Sarwan, screaming: "If you ever f------ mention my wife again, I'll f------ rip your f------ throat out."
McGrath complained to umpire David Shepherd that Sarwan had referred to his wife Jane.

Just goes to show that bully boys like Mcgrath cant hack the heat when its returned in spades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IsVsLh-yGs

Bancan
June 27, 2007, 07:18 PM
well his wife was sick at the time. i think she had cancer. so the reaction isnt surprising.

jabbar
June 27, 2007, 08:23 PM
well his wife was sick at the time. i think she had cancer. so the reaction isnt surprising.

Still, I think Sarwan's response is a typical, non-personal response to a sexually explicit sledge. I think McGrath should have took that one on the chin and not taken it personally -- but when one's loved one is ill and that loved on is insulted somehow, then I suppose it is hard to control one's emotions....

BTW, why are we talking about this now????

Hatebreed
June 27, 2007, 08:32 PM
Who gives a [] if his wife was sick, he can't use his dirty mouth and expect people to take it lying down. Running to umpire complaning, [] crybaby.

Nafis_BD
June 27, 2007, 08:49 PM
Whatever they said it was really disgusting and these stuff makes me wonder what happened to the gentlemens game.....you can sledge but don't use disgusting stuff like this, anyways it's Maggraths fault as he started this whole thing and since it was explicit he should have been prepared for a comment like that. Dissapointed at how this game is starting to be like this!!:(

Electrequiem
June 27, 2007, 09:05 PM
I want to see a headbutt in cricket.

akabir77
June 27, 2007, 09:53 PM

Shahadat will give you that pretty soon

cricketboy
June 28, 2007, 12:26 AM
Aus should better sort out this kinda behaviour. McGrath to gese kintoo ekhono onek gula ase.

Humbug
June 28, 2007, 03:44 AM
Mcgrath's wife had cancer, so it was insensitive of Sarwan, but he was just giving it back after Mcgrath started it.

That was very hypocritical of Mcgrath to react like that, if you are going to dish it out you have to take it on the chin.

israr
June 28, 2007, 04:10 AM
Sarwan gave the perfect response( I am sure Sarwan didn't know that Glen's wife had cancer). In fact, Sarwan acted like a real man in this situation giving the appropriate response in the same manner that Mcgrath asked him the question. A person can't even think of talking these things when his wife is in hospital suffering from cancer, but Mcgrath deserved what he got of commencing such a dialogue.

Shafin
June 28, 2007, 02:47 PM
I bet the recipient will be an Aussie.

ialbd
June 28, 2007, 03:09 PM

imagining Inzy (coming out of his calm, sedate mood) doing that to Ponting... man why did inzy retire without doing that.....

rah
June 30, 2007, 03:28 PM

lol sarwan wiv a helmet on....BOOM
anyways McGrath got wot wos comin to him

rubel_18
June 30, 2007, 06:06 PM
Well Mcgrath started it and Sarwan just finished it, the cause of the whole incident was Mcgrath himself yet he gets pissed off. What an idiot at least he has left international cricket, so we wont be seeing any of that from him.