PDA

View Full Version : Ash's captaincy in the first Test

Sumon77
June 28, 2007, 04:46 AM
Guys, I know there are lot of discussions going on around about our batting in the first test specially Ash's.
But I was wondering how was his Captaincy?
How was his field placing, bowling change, or batting order (as he sent Shahadat before Mash in the first innings).
Also was he vocal in the field? Encouraging the players or talking to bowlers after a bad delivery?
Now as captain, he is part of the selection I guess. Couldnt he take Mushy instead of Pilot?
Also how did he face the press conferences?
I personally didnt get to watch the match, so comments from the members who could watch live (I remeber Sohel bhai watch watching in Dhaka on TV) can give us an insight.
Thanks.

WarWolf
June 28, 2007, 08:13 AM
He has been briliant as a captain. It was his first international game as a captain and yet he has been pretty much attacking captain which is a must for now.

Fazal
June 28, 2007, 08:40 AM
Too early to tell. But so far so good....he is a new captain... I am willing to wait an see and give hims some room to grow before evaluating him... however its a breath of fresh air from previous over defensive and mediocre captaincy.

Braveheart
June 28, 2007, 08:57 AM
I saw the entire test except for the first innings of bangladesh. Ash did well in rotating bowlers and field placement during bd bowling session and as expected he was very aggressive. But the pitch was so docile it was hard for any bowlers to make any impact. He could have been a little more defensive after the first 20 overs b/c our bowlers were getting hammered. But I am not complaining.

As a batsman he led by example except for three stupid shots. He was really good throughout the whole innings but just committed suicide at the end.

Overall score as a captain- 7 out of 10 (would have been 8 out of 10 but i hate him for getting out like that)

Sumon77
June 28, 2007, 09:02 AM
I saw the entire test except for the first innings of bangladesh. Ash did well in rotating bowlers and field placement during bd bowling session and as expected he was very aggressive. But the pitch was so docile it was hard for any bowlers to make any impact. He could have been a little more defensive after the first 20 overs b/c our bowlers were getting hammered. But I am not complaining.

As a batsman he led by example except for three stupid shots. He was really good throughout the whole innings but just committed suicide at the end.

Overall score as a captain- 7 out of 10 (would have been 8 out of 10 but i hate him for getting out like that)
thanks for the detail. Atleast he was doing his best by trying differnt options, even tried Bashar, who himself didnt dare to bowl when he was captain. Hopefully, Ash's aggression will help us to win more ODIs sooner than tests.

WarWolf
June 28, 2007, 09:12 AM
Let's give him a few months more before evaluating him. He got a good cricketing brain.

Sumon77
June 28, 2007, 09:26 AM
Let's give him a few months more before evaluating him. He got a good cricketing brain.
yup.... its too early to judge him and as you said he has good cricketing brain, hope he will exploit it. Atleast he added the ingredient of aggresiveness in our game. I am looking forward to the ODIs though, where we have more chances than test, and lets see if his intelligence in the field can move us a little further.

Tigers_eye
June 28, 2007, 09:39 AM
definitely an upgrade of the previous games (captaincy).
But the pitch was so docile it was hard for any bowlers to make any impact.
Yet we lost 17 wickets in 88 runs. 61/10 in the first innings. 27/7 in the second innings.

Ahmed_B
June 28, 2007, 09:56 AM
[বাংলা]দল যদি এভাবে ব্যাটিং করতে থাকে, তাহলে আমাদের কোন ক্যাপ্টেন না থাকলেও চলবে! "যেমন খুশি তেমন খেল" স্টাইলে খেললেও এর চেয়ে কম রান হবেনা। হয়তোবা আরো বেশীও হতে পারে! বলা যায়না!!

যতদিন আমরা আন্য দলের কাছাকাছি যেতে না পারছি রানের দিক থেকে, ততদিন ক্যাপ্টেনসির তো কোন দরকার নাই। কারন শুধুমাত্র "ক্লোজ ম্যাচ" এই ক্যাপ্টেন পারে নিজের বিচক্ষনতায় দলকে জিতিয়ে আনতে! "আকাশ-পাতাল" টাইপের ম্যাচে ক্যাপ্টেনের কি করার আছে?[/বাংলা]

Rommel
June 28, 2007, 10:34 AM
Ahmed Bhai, whats up with all the boxes?

Sohel
June 28, 2007, 10:35 AM
Fazal says- "Too early to tell. But so far so good....he is a new captain... I am willing to wait an see and give hims some room to grow before evaluating him... however its a breath of fresh air from previous over defensive and mediocre captaincy."

I pretty much agree with Fazal to the last word here. He has been better than all of our previous captains put together, but then again, that's not really saying much at this point in time IMHO, especially with this terribly selected team under hostile, and extrodinarily difficult conditions.

More often than not, Ash's captaincy of Dhaka in the NCL and Sonargaon in the PCL was nothing short of innovative brilliance at its best, especially with regards field placement and scripting the bowlers with timely, appropriate adjustments with the resources available to him. In an encouraging symbiosis, his batting improves his captaincy and vice versa, unlike the other guys who led us in the past. Seeing that sort of thing at the international level will take more time. I'm looking forward to the the second test to see not only what he has learned from his own, exasperating mistakes as the key batsman for his side, but also what he has learned about the opposition AS CAPTAIN. I know that he has publicly apologized to Prothom Alo for his bizarre little antics against Murali's wile with predicatable results, and I'm willing to cut him all the slack in the world until he's 27 and close to his theoritical peak as a cricketer, especially from a prematurely born, 8-year old cricket culture with inadequate, and mediocre quality First Class cricket that do not allow our talented young players to actually learn away from the spotlight - I WANT TO SEE MATCH-BY-MATCH, TANGIBLE IMPROVEMENTS. That said, I believe we will deliver better as captain and batsman in the battles to come.

Rubu
June 28, 2007, 10:37 AM
Ahmed Bhai, whats up with all the boxes?Install Bangla interface, and experience the magic.

al Furqaan
June 28, 2007, 10:38 AM
well said sohel bhai!

reverse_swing
June 28, 2007, 10:41 AM

If you want to read/write bangla then follow our Unicode Bangla setup guide (http://www.banglacricket.com/tools/bangla/index.php)

Tigers_eye
June 28, 2007, 11:04 AM
Ahmed bhai, is thinking of becoming an entrepreneur on making boxes. These boxes are lifelines for many BC members like me. Although, most boxes are made of card boards or wood, his are made of perfect squares of virtual bytes. He puts these wierd looking symbols inside the box. Nasif can tell you how one can put these symbols in thoses boxes. Some say those are invisble and some say they can see it. Depending on who is wearing what type of glasses. Such as, Fazal's colored glasses shows humor in every box post he sees. Babubhai, the other mega entrepreneur helps us stay alive here at BC with his share of boxes.

rubel_18
June 28, 2007, 02:05 PM
Well his captaining during Bangladesh bowling was pretty gud if you compare it to Bash's it was much more attacking. The wicket that got out Chamara Silva was due to the aggressive field placement he set cos he was a new batsman that came in and it worked wid Razaaq's gud bowling to get out Silva and also credit to Mash for the catch, from here I was quite impressed with his captaincy cos I doubt Bash wud hav changed his fielding positions to a more attacking field placement cos a new batsman came in and therefore I dont think we wud hav got a wicket if he was still captain now.

Antora
June 29, 2007, 12:49 AM
i was just impressed that he was experimenting with bowlers!!! thats something bashar neva did.. soo good on ash!!!!!

Braveheart
June 29, 2007, 02:05 AM
definitely an upgrade of the previous games (captaincy).

Yet we lost 17 wickets in 88 runs. 61/10 in the first innings. 27/7 in the second innings.

The problem is SL got Murali and Malinga- two freaks of nature. We don't have anybody like that. I think our batsmen are equipped to handle Mailnga. However, Murali is just too much. If Top order batsmen don't protect lower order batsmen from thses two bowler we have no hope.

ialbd
June 29, 2007, 02:32 AM
let see how the 2nd test goes, will come back here to comment.....

al Furqaan
June 29, 2007, 10:39 AM
i was just impressed that he was experimenting with bowlers!!! thats something bashar neva did.. soo good on ash!!!!!

i dont think he experiemented much...he just tried himself, rajin, bashar... whereas bashar would never do that in a million years.

but ash was always trying new things by never letting a single bowler bowl more than 5 overs...he was constantly changing the attack which is good.

SS
June 29, 2007, 10:44 AM
kemne evaluation korbo
2000 ei er jeye bhalo bhabe harsilam...ebar margin aro beshi!!!!

DJ Sahastra
June 29, 2007, 10:48 AM
Overall, match ended in 3 day & 5 overs, in a massive innings defeat.

Now i can't figure out how much of credit i can give to Ash's captaincy. If end result is the same and Ashraful has shown some positives, then his positives must've been offset by some negatives.

Braveheart
June 29, 2007, 11:25 AM

Now i can't figure out how much of credit i can give to Ash's captaincy. If end result is the same and Ashraful has shown some positives, then his positives must've been offset by some negatives.

A captain can only do so much! He can't bat for ither batsmen and bowl for the bowlers. All he can do is to be supportive of his players in the team and i think he did that very well during Bangaldesh fielding.

We also need to remember one more thing. Ash's captaincy would be much more effective during ODIs. His fielding placements would be more aggresive. We would not see a debacle such as the 1st odi during India vs bd series. I am very optimistic about ash's potential as a captain (still pissed off at him for geting out like that).

betaar
June 29, 2007, 11:32 AM

Regardless of the end result, a captain can be evaluated based on bowling changes, field placement and his willingness to try new things. Captain cannot bat for the other 10 batsmen in the team, so their failure cannot be quantified against him just as their success should not be his credit. But captain can lead from the front and if he fails to do that then his own performance as a player should be counted as a failure which in turn does not make him a good leader in that aspect of captaincy.

DJ Sahastra
June 29, 2007, 01:06 PM
Sorry Guys, but i am just beinga devil's advocate here. I am definitely not recommending going back to Bashar or saying that Ashraful is a good/bad captain.

My only point is, if Ashraful has captained better than his predecessors and if the end result is still the same, that can only mean that the positives of his captaincy were offset by probably a more negative performance/deliverance by his team.

Omio
June 29, 2007, 02:58 PM
His captancy was allright,
Main concern is he change the bowler so often.He needs to keep bowling by Rafuque from one end,coz he is the most experience bowler of us.

Electrequiem
June 29, 2007, 03:00 PM
I like his attacking mentality. It was nice to see after all those years of defensive strategy under Habibul Bashar.

Foozy
June 29, 2007, 03:34 PM
I like his attacking mentality. It was nice to see after all those years of defensive strategy under Habibul Bashar.

absolutely.... his captaincy was great... he couldnt hav done much better in the circumstances... and his bowling changes were realy good... there is no point goin over and over with the same bowlers and getting the batsmen used to it... rather put in some spice and try to get then off.. hes a brave captain... and hopefully hell produce some results... especially in ODIs...

israr
June 30, 2007, 07:06 AM
I just hope he doesn't becomes 'over-cautious' about his own batting during his tenure as a captain, but so far, so good by Ash.

al Furqaan
June 30, 2007, 09:31 AM
Sorry Guys, but i am just beinga devil's advocate here. I am definitely not recommending going back to Bashar or saying that Ashraful is a good/bad captain.

My only point is, if Ashraful has captained better than his predecessors and if the end result is still the same, that can only mean that the positives of his captaincy were offset by probably a more negative performance/deliverance by his team.

thats actually correct,

captaincy was better, but end result was same/worse, which necessarily means, for whatever reason, that the boys forgot to bring their game with them!

Nafis_BD
June 30, 2007, 09:49 AM
I think Ashraful did pretty good on the first test but it's too early to evaluate him!!!